The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

Shaky in a easier way? or Shaky in a harder way? I ask because I managed to score a 128 on CARS in Kaplan 3, which is the highest I've ever scored in verbal in my entire life lol.

So should I take this as a sign of general improvement, or just take it with a grain of salt along with the rest of the Kaplan sections.

Grain of salt.

Hi, I read from someone here that the test is VERY heavy n biochemistry. Is that true? How do you go about studying biochemitry? I got PR and EX, and thy only had one chapter on biochemistry. Is that enough? Has anyone here taken the MCAT, and if so, ow many biochem questins? Thanks

Yea I agree the Kaplan FL's are tough...my scores in chem/phys and Bio/biochem are fluctuating so much that its really hard to tell where I actually am. On the bright side, I think I'm starting to find my groove with CARS! That being said, did you think Kaplan CARS was on the same level of the AAMC FL? Harder? Easier?

I found the Kaplan CARS alot harder than the AAMC one.
I scored 79 % on AAMC and 51 % on Kaplan (more or less)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried to follow the Next Step Test Prep guy's 100 day study schedule but there's essentially not enough time in the day to do what's suggested. I have the EK subject review books for 2015 and instead of answering the questions in the back of each chapter in just taking good notes for each chapter in my Evernote app.

How often are y'all doing full length practice tests? Do you review the whole thing afterward?

And, does this study schedule seem a little intense to anyone else?

Does anyone have methods they use for retaining physics formulas? I feel that a large part of my poor physics skills is my ability to retain the (frankly ridiculous) amount of formulas that I am trying to take in from the TPR book. I don't think it's making any sense to attempt the practice problems without the formulas down cold, even though I have a good grasp of the topic overall
:help:

Has anyone gotten a "N/A" as a score for the PR full length tests? I got a n/a on my CARS score? I know I didn't do that good on the section....but if you do really bad do they just not give you a grade :(?

I got a N/A on two passages on my first 2 TPR FLs. I wrote all my answers down so I kept track in case this happened. Glitch happened twice for me on FL 1 and FL 2 (the course tests). I just ended up rescoring that missing passage and based the curve on my third FL. Both scores went up a point based on the TPR scale.

It's odd. I also got a 3-4 minute delay when I did a practice CARs passage on TPR system. I thought that meant I got 0% right. After about 3-4 refreshes I finally got the passage score of 71%. TPR system has gotten better than it was in April but it still has glitches/flaws.

On the side note, started studying in the library with a bud also studying for MCAT/taking summer classes. Feel a lot more awake/alert when going through questions then I did in my quiet bedroom.

So I was hoping people would be gracious and share how they are doing the verbal passages! I know I know its your own method but I felt like I have tried everything (Kaplan, EK, PR ways) and I do worse than if i just read the passage quickly and then answer questions. I usually get 3-4/6 and 4-5/7 sometimes 5/6 and 6/7 but those are rare occasions :)

And for the biochem my friend gave me his kaplan book which is wayyyy better than TPR

Will be wrapping up content review soon. It's been way overdue!

Reactions: 1 user
I've experienced the same issue with TPR FL's. However when you click the "review" button it shows your score (instead of that weird N/A). Also takes like 10 minutes after the test as well as restarting my browser for my score to get pulled up.
I haven't posted here yet. I am scheduled for August 5th, applying this cycle. However, I'm a re-applicant so I have old scores. The problem with some folks applying this cycle that haven't taken the MCAT yet is that schools won't look at your file until you are considered "complete". This means AMCAS + MCAT score+ Letters + secondary.
My mistake with the old MCAT was using ONLY Kaplan. Really screwed me up big time. My Kaplan FL scores were way higher than the actual test. I am self-studying this time, 4 weeks in. Using EK for content, KA for reinforcement, NS for extra verbal, and AAMC Q-pack. So far I've taken NS and KP diagnostic, TPR Demo, and 1 TPR FL.

I've experienced the same issue with TPR FL's. However when you click the "review" button it shows your score (instead of that weird N/A). Also takes like 10 minutes after the test as well as restarting my browser for my score to get pulled up.
I haven't posted here yet. I am scheduled for August 5th, applying this cycle. However, I'm a re-applicant so I have old scores. The problem with some folks applying this cycle that haven't taken the MCAT yet is that schools won't look at your file until you are considered "complete". This means AMCAS + MCAT score+ Letters + secondary.
My mistake with the old MCAT was using ONLY Kaplan. Really screwed me up big time. My Kaplan FL scores were way higher than the actual test. I am self-studying this time, 4 weeks in. Using EK for content, KA for reinforcement, NS for extra verbal, and AAMC Q-pack. So far I've taken NS and KP diagnostic, TPR Demo, and 1 TPR FL.

weren't Kaplan scores really inflated for their old FLs ? I feel like the new kaplan stuff isn't really curved, so thats probably why you barely see anyone really hitting mid to high 500's on Kaplans. Btw what'd you think of the TPR FLs?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
weren't Kaplan scores really inflated for their old FLs ? I feel like the new kaplan stuff isn't really curved, so thats probably why you barely see anyone really hitting mid to high 500's on Kaplans. Btw what'd you think of the TPR FLs?
Well if they were, then that explains a lot. Anyway, it's hard for me to assess the FL's I've taken since I haven't taken the AAMC sample test. It's a good way to practice endurance though, so I think they worth getting. One thing I noticed is that biochemistry is well represented on their exams.

Yep, took me about 4-5 minutes to get my score from TPR course FL 4 today. It's a little delay, I don't really mind. I usually just log out and relax for 3-4 minutes (stretch, use the bathroom, whatever you like) and then log in without any of that "lag" when pressing the review button.

Took the rest of the day off. Should be fun reviewing my exam the next few days.

I'm behind on content review. Do you think I'll have enough time if I wrapped it up by mid-July and start taking FL's for a month until my August 21 test date?

Thanks Guys!! My score did show up a little later. Do you guys think TPR FL is a good representation of the MCAT?

I'm behind on content review. Do you think I'll have enough time if I wrapped it up by mid-July and start taking FL's for a month until my August 21 test date?
I'm in the same boat. I think we'll be ok. Maybe take one FL now so you know where you stand

Thanks Guys!! My score did show up a little later. Do you guys think TPR FL is a good representation of the MCAT?
No. I've been interested in this too and it seems no one here has gotten above a 507. Most people are hitting around 500.

Not really. Apparently it's harder by a good amount. Some people averaged 508-510 on them and got 522+ scores on the real test.

Checking in to see what everyone is doing for practice! On week 10 of studying and have been following the EK at home study schedule (found this pretty helpful for having a set schedule, providing a variety of material to study each week, and use while working/volunteering 40+ hrs a week). Pretty much done with content review, so I started with the NS diagnostic test today and got 499. Not great, but I'm confident on improving after really focusing on practicing problems/tests (improved my old MCAT score 6 points just focusing on that the last retake!). Mainly trying to improve from a 26, but obviously getting a 508-510 (or whatever is the new 30) would be fantastic!

I mainly wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on any free practice tests/material there were. So far I've found NS diagnostic, GS diagnostic, Kaplan diagnostic, then all the Khan Academy material of course. I have a bunch of old material I plan to use for content practice too, but it'd be great to focus on stuff geared to the new test. AAMC stuff is on my purchase list, maybe some EK FL, TPR book for the FL tests, and idk what else. Any recommendations would be awesome. Hang in there guys, just remember that misery loves company! ;)

Also, for anyone applying this cycle worried about submitting later... it's later, but not TOO late. 1st time applying I submitted in October and September the last round and got 2-3 interviews each time. Interview was my weakness which I plan to be better at. Decided to retake MCAT for a more competitive application (and the dedication factor). 3rd times a charm, and all I can say is thank God for AMCAS transferring over old application info! XD

Hello everyone.

I just want to ask where you're getting 2015 practice test from? All I have are 3 from Kaplan, 1 from AAMC, and the question pack from AAMC?
Where can I find more?

Hello everyone.

I just want to ask where you're getting 2015 practice test from? All I have are 3 from Kaplan, 1 from AAMC, and the question pack from AAMC?
Where can I find more?

You can find the expensive, but highly praised Exam Krackers tests here: http://www.examkrackers.com/store/. There are currently 4 tests at $50 each.

The Princeton Review offers one free on their site, or you can buy a practice book and get 3 total. I bought this practice book and got the free tests via the code that came with it: Amazon product

EDIT: I guess we can't post amazon links on SDN, so just search "MCAT Psychology and Sociology Review: New for MCAT 2015" on amazon.

Good Luck!

Anyone else having trouble with EK's Physics and Chemistry In-Class Exams? For me, they are more difficult to understand and follow then lecture questions and the depth of material presented in the book. Any advice or tips for those who feel the same way or know how to overcome this and do better?

Anyone else having trouble with EK's Physics and Chemistry In-Class Exams? For me, they are more difficult to understand and follow then lecture questions and the depth of material presented in the book. Any advice or tips for those who feel the same way or know how to overcome this and do better?

I've only done the physics so far, but yes they are super difficult. However, I have been scoring pretty well on them, which is surprising since physics isn't my strong suit. The only recommendation I can make that has helped me is really mastering the equations. When a complex scenario is presented in the exam, I ask myself "what equations are applicable here?" Then I simplify their questions to: "If x is changed, how does it affect y?" Honestly, it seems like once you know what equation to apply you've already done most of the work. No matter how complicated the question/scenario, the question can be simplified to a root equation.

Hang in there, I have found the EK tests to be very difficult and sometimes discouraging. Just think of it as appropriately tough training for test day, you've got this!

Anyone else feel like their summer is being wasted away? I have hung out with friends so little I can count it on my fingers. All I do is work, hit the gym, eat, then STUDY content (which, by the way, is behind because of shipping issues from Amazon). By the time I'm done, I'm fatigued and it's 1 a.m. I feel like I need to make up for how behind I am (not even half-way through actually :(). Not sure what to do. I feel like I'm gonna burn out before I get to the test, which scares me. I don't have a good enough GPA to make up for a decent MCAT. I need to knock this out so I can get into a good SMP to get into medical school.

Anyone else feel like their summer is being wasted away? I have hung out with friends so little I can count it on my fingers. All I do is work, hit the gym, eat, then STUDY content (which, by the way, is behind because of shipping issues from Amazon). By the time I'm done, I'm fatigued and it's 1 a.m. I feel like I need to make up for how behind I am (not even half-way through actually :(). Not sure what to do. I feel like I'm gonna burn out before I get to the test, which scares me. I don't have a good enough GPA to make up for a decent MCAT. I need to knock this out so I can get into a good SMP to get into medical school.

I am seriously in the same boat. It's really making it hard to not throw all of these books on the ground and burn them. BUT instead I just keep reminding myself everyday how important it is for me to do well on this and how this is just making me one step closer to being a doctor. It really sucks right now but remember you're not alone in this!
I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to study until the test so I can't really give advice on that yet. But so far I was thinking about taking a practice full length each week and content review between the tests. I just hope I can hang in there until after the test to have a breakdown haha

I am seriously in the same boat. It's really making it hard to not throw all of these books on the ground and burn them. BUT instead I just keep reminding myself everyday how important it is for me to do well on this and how this is just making me one step closer to being a doctor. It really sucks right now but remember you're not alone in this!
I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to study until the test so I can't really give advice on that yet. But so far I was thinking about taking a practice full length each week and content review between the tests. I just hope I can hang in there until after the test to have a breakdown haha
Yeah I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'll be incorporating FL's and extensive practice passages on top of doing the practice passages in TBR (which are immensely helpful IMHO.)

What ways are you trying to stay sane? I'm very outgoing and love spending time with people, so I wanna incorporate hanging out with friends more often. Do you take 1 rest day/week to decompress?

Bro I know how you feel haha, its pretty much wake up at 6, workout, work, go home study till 12 rinse and repeat :/, once you get past the content review, it gets a lot better imo, doing practice passages are much more "fun." You should definitely have at least a day/night off, usually if I do FL on weekends, I'd probably go hang out with my friends at night or go play ball, but since I'm introverted, sometimes I just need some time to decompress haha. Don't worry, if we do good, we will be done soon! Just keep at it :D

Yeah I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'll be incorporating FL's and extensive practice passages on top of doing the practice passages in TBR (which are immensely helpful IMHO.)

What ways are you trying to stay sane? I'm very outgoing and love spending time with people, so I wanna incorporate hanging out with friends more often. Do you take 1 rest day/week to decompress?

I try to take 1 day off a week, sometimes I end up at least reading through notes or watching khan videos cause I feel guilty haha. But I try to incorporate seeing a friend or two that day I take off and go to dinner or something. I also volunteer in the ER a few nights a week and it helps me relax and get to be around more people so I don't go crazy. Maybe if you need a quick coffee break or when you need to eat, ask a friend to meet you! I FaceTime study with a friend occasionally who's studying for the pcat and it's so much nicer to have someone else to study with. Even though neither of us are talking at least we're both there haha

I'm taking my first FL tomorrow. Its a Kaplan so I'm not putting much emphasis on the score, but I'm interested in getting a feel for the timing of the test.

I've only done the physics so far, but yes they are super difficult. However, I have been scoring pretty well on them, which is surprising since physics isn't my strong suit. The only recommendation I can make that has helped me is really mastering the equations. When a complex scenario is presented in the exam, I ask myself "what equations are applicable here?" Then I simplify their questions to: "If x is changed, how does it affect y?" Honestly, it seems like once you know what equation to apply you've already done most of the work. No matter how complicated the question/scenario, the question can be simplified to a root equation.

Hang in there, I have found the EK tests to be very difficult and sometimes discouraging. Just think of it as appropriately tough training for test day, you've got this!

Thank you for the kind words. Are you taking notes as you study? My current plan is to finish the content review and then review sets of flashcards my friend recommended to me after that is done to quickly review everything before I go on my practice passage + FL heavy portion of the schedule. What do you think?

July test taker here- haven't read through this thread but why is this thread double the length of the July Thread ??

Thank you for the kind words. Are you taking notes as you study? My current plan is to finish the content review and then review sets of flashcards my friend recommended to me after that is done to quickly review everything before I go on my practice passage + FL heavy portion of the schedule. What do you think?

I am taking notes while I study, but just on things that I know I won't remember otherwise, i.e. new concepts or complicated concepts. Notes slow me down a lot, but the act of writing something out helps me remember it while just reading something does not so it's a necessary evil. Unfortunately I'm lagging behind already because of this.

This is my first time studying for the MCAT and I am in no way an expert, but what I've heard from everyone else is: get through content review as fast as possible. Practice tests and practice questions are where you're really going to be boosting your score - and they'll lead to more content review when you grade/analyze your tests, expect this content review will only be on areas you're weak on so it's not a waste of time. The sooner you get to this stage, the better. Honestly, I agree with this strategy - I find that the majority of problems that I miss are not because I don't know the topic, but because I'm not comfortable/familiar with the test format. For me, that just means more practice with questions, not the material. Of course, your experience may vary. Good luck!

Not sure what to do until Sunday, taking a FL then. Took me 2 days to review my 4th TPR FL and I finished reviewing it last night. Might take my weaknesses on the test and review those but I don't think that will take all day and I want to study at least 5 hrs today.

July test taker here- haven't read through this thread but why is this thread double the length of the July Thread ??
Cause we are twice as awesome

And we work twice as hard. Sorry that we're just better. :rolleyes:

@Dreamstoo Why so long? I could see if you had to thoroughly examine every single question, but even then 2 days seems like a lot. Were you studying in between or just taking a quasi-break? I only ask because I'm hoping I won't take that long. Losing a few days for each FL with no intermittent studying could be a pretty major blow for me at this point.

Hey all, I shared a study method I created on Reddit called The Suicide Method. I'll link it below, it has my info filled out so simply clear it and replace it with yours. Also on /r/Mcat (www.reddit.com/r/mcat), I post daily articles along with 6-8 questions from that article (threads labeled [Date ARTICLE QA]. This might be something you want to check out daily to get in the habit of reading articles and answering questions from those articles. I get passages from biology, biochem, and psychology and pick articles from PLoS, JBC, NEJM, and Nature and so far have three daily articles up right now, since I started on 06/23.

Attachments

• Official Suicide Method.xlsx
    28.9 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: 2 users
And we work twice as hard. Sorry that we're just better. :rolleyes:

@Dreamstoo Why so long? I could see if you had to thoroughly examine every single question, but even then 2 days seems like a lot. Were you studying in between or just taking a quasi-break? I only ask because I'm hoping I won't take that long. Losing a few days for each FL with no intermittent studying could be a pretty major blow for me at this point.

Oh today I just took the questions I got wrong and reviewed the chapters. Takes 2-3 days for me.

Got a 501 on my first Kaplan FL. I made a couple stupid mistakes so I guess I could have done better. Taking a FL is way more exhausting than I expected it to be.

Got a 501 on my first Kaplan FL. I made a couple stupid mistakes so I guess I could have done better. Taking a FL is way more exhausting than I expected it to be.

nice, thats a solid first score especially for Kaplan. Which one did you take?

nice, thats a solid first score especially for Kaplan. Which one did you take?
It was the Kaplan #1 FL. I feel pretty good about my score. I told myself ahead of time that I should be happy with anything over a 500, since no one seems to be able to get a high score on them. Just looking at other threads it seems like a lot of people that got 90-100% on the actual test were barely able to get above a 505 on the Kaplan FLs.

I really wish I knew more people who applied DO in the past and took the MCAT in August. I still have yet to request transcripts and fill out the activities part of the AACOMAS and AMCAS but the majority of the rest of the application is ready. All my letters in should be in by mid to late July. Ugh, this application would have been done by June if I already had a MCAT score but since I don't, I'm not rushing it.

Some person I know applied very late in November and got in with similar stats (GPA wise) but I don't want to take that risk personally.

I'm just so confused on how to study now too since I'm done with content review. I don't feel as motivated, ugh.

Took a FL this past Tuesday and had one planned for tomorrow, might be pushing it to Monday to get a little extra time. Got a really tight schedule until next Monday or so and can't take one later in the week.

Last edited:
Results for my first NS FL have been updated. Not bad, actually ^^

Screen Shot 2015-06-27 at 3.47.05 PM.png

Will be wrapping up content review soon. It's been way overdue!
What all have you been doing? I started out just reading the EK lectures, then I decided to start taking notes on each one. It's tedious, but I think just reading the chapters without taking notes is dangerous. Easier to go back and look when I need a piece of info. But it's burn-out fuel.