The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly the same, here!

I was originally going to take the MCAT in September, but I realized studying for 5 exams right before the MCAT would probably result in a bad score.

Same, originally planned for an April test date, but quickly realized that the MCAT and a full semester don't mix.

It's almost time to start studying. When are you going to start? I'd like to take a couple days off after finals before getting into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to start the same day as my last final. :oops:!
Starting the same day as your last final seems insane, but if you are the type of person who can handle that without burnout, go for it. I will be taking a little under a week off before i dive in.

Just out of curiosity, are you guys planning to apply this cycle?
No, id imagine applying after getting your MCAT scores back in late September would put you at a great disadvantage. Taking the test in August of this year, with no intention of applying this cycle, leaves you the option to retake or reschedule for a January date if need be. Even if that means you will be forced to take a gap year before you matriculate into med school, i think its worth it in the end to give yourself the whole summer to prepare.

Reactions: 1 users
No, id imagine applying after getting your MCAT scores back in late September would put you at a great disadvantage. Taking the test in August of this year, with no intention of applying this cycle, leaves you the option to retake or reschedule for a January date if need be. Even if that means you will be forced to take a gap year before you matriculate into med school, i think its worth it in the end to give yourself the whole summer to prepare.

Thanks! Im dealing with a similar scenario so thanks for your feedback

Starting the same day as your last final seems insane, but if you are the type of person who can handle that without burnout, go for it. I will be taking a little under a week off before i dive in.

Thankfully, it's an easy final! Hell, I might start my schedule a couple days earlier. :p

Just out of curiosity, are you guys planning to apply this cycle?

Haha, no way in hell. :>

Thankfully, it's an easy final! Hell, I might start my schedule a couple days earlier. :p

Haha, no way in hell. :>

Just because August is late in the game? Why not apply anyways and see how it goes? Sorry Im not very familiar with the process. Im trying to post pone my test to July but I want to apply this year so I dont know :$

Just because August is late in the game? Why not apply anyways and see how it goes? Sorry Im not very familiar with the process. Im trying to post pone my test to July but I want to apply this year so I dont know :$

I won't be ready to matriculate in 2015, unfortunately.

Even if I was, I wouldn't apply this cycle: August MCAT is way late in the game.

Graduated last december and was rejected into my top picks so I will be retaking. This time the right way with full content review and practice tests. Did not really prepare the first time to be honest.

Planning on SN2ed schedule also, but also finishing all my EK books and then using berkeley review for a different approach and to fill in gaps.

Hi! I'm taking the August 21st test, and I'm starting now because I'm taking a few days off later on and I finished finals two days ago. I have ~35/week of other commitments, but I can study at work so I'm hoping this goes well. I'm also not applying this cycle.

The SN2ed schedule is already killing me!! Ah! Today was my first day and BR Physics is pretty brutal, but I'm hoping that putting in the time will pay off.

Can't wait to keep each other motivated this summer :)

Members don't see this ad :)

This was my line of thinking originally as well; why not just apply anyway and if you get in great and if not oh well. I've since learned that reapplicants may be at a disadvantage because they are expected to show significant improvement from their last cycle's application.

So if you submit an otherwise good application and are rejected mainly because it's late, you've put yourself in a worse position for the next cycle than you would have been in if you had just sat out the previous cycle. Basically a trade off between two hindered applications (one late and one reapplicant) vs one solid application (a year later).

This was my line of thinking originally as well; why not just apply anyway and if you get in great and if not oh well. I've since learned that reapplicants may be at a disadvantage because they are expected to show significant improvement from their last cycle's application.

So if you submit an otherwise good application and are rejected mainly because it's late, you've put yourself in a worse position for the next cycle than you would have been in if you had just sat out the previous cycle. Basically a trade off between two hindered applications (one late and one reapplicant) vs one solid application (a year later).

So are you implying that they prefer to choose first-time applicants even though a second-time applicant might be better? Would you agree that writing a PS and those secondaries and even one interview can help you prepare and know what to expect the next time you apply? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't understand how reapplicants can be at such a big disadvantage...

So are you implying that they prefer to choose first-time applicants even though a second-time applicant might be better? Would you agree that writing a PS and those secondaries and even one interview can help you prepare and know what to expect the next time you apply? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't understand how reapplicants can be at such a big disadvantage...

Nah, I'm not implying that admission committees would select an inferior first time applicant over a superior second time applicant. But if they comparing two very similar applicants (which, let's be honest, they almost always are) and one is a reapplicant that has not shown a significant improvement from his/her last cycle, then I think the point goes to the first time applicant.

In response to the usefulness of writing a PS/secondaries and attending interviews, I'm sure that would help in some regard, but to what extent? Enough to outweigh the reapplicant disadvantage? Maybe, maybe not.

Want to write a PS? Go ahead and write it. Have it critiqued, you should have ample time to perfect it during a gap year.

Want to write secondaries? Head over to the school specific forums on this site to get the secondary prompts and go nuts.

Want interview experience? That's what mock interviews are for. Do as many as you want, YOU'LL HAVE AN ENTIRE YEAR.

To be clear, I have no idea how prevalent this "reapplicant disadvantage" actually is, I'm only saying you should be wary of throwing your application in the ring just for the hell of it. That said, there are absolutely certain people who should just go ahead and apply.

Nah, I'm not implying that admission committees would select an inferior first time applicant over a superior second time applicant. But if they comparing two very similar applicants (which, let's be honest, they almost always are) and one is a reapplicant that has not shown a significant improvement from his/her last cycle, then I think the point goes to the first time applicant.

In response to the usefulness of writing a PS/secondaries and attending interviews, I'm sure that would help in some regard, but to what extent? Enough to outweigh the reapplicant disadvantage? Maybe, maybe not.

Want to write a PS? Go ahead and write it. Have it critiqued, you should have ample time to perfect it during a gap year.

Want to write secondaries? Head over to the school specific forums on this site to get the secondary prompts and go nuts.

Want interview experience? That's what mock interviews are for. Do as many as you want, YOU'LL HAVE AN ENTIRE YEAR.

To be clear, I have no idea how prevalent this "reapplicant disadvantage" actually is, I'm only saying you should be wary of throwing your application in the ring just for the hell of it. That said, there are absolutely certain people who should just go ahead and apply.

no I understand, and I'm very grateful that you are sharing your thoughts cuz I'm not familiar with the process at all and would love to hear about it. Would say a July 2nd MCAT is too late?

Eh, you'll be "late," but you're going to get different answers from different people on how late is too late. You can submit your application without your MCAT scores, by the way. If everything goes well, you should be complete by early August.

I'll just say this, because I feel like you may be trying to push your MCAT date closer and closer just to avoid a gap year (I'm assuming you're a traditional applicant): Taking a gap year is not the end of the world. I've grappled with the very same decision and I'll tell you that there is a certain amount of relief that comes with an extra year to prepare your app/work/take a break. Do some searching on these boards for people who have taken gap years, you'll find that most of them are very satisfied with their decision. I'm sure it can be hard to come to terms with though, when you've had this idea of high school --> college --> med school grad at 25 lodged in your head for so long. Just something to consider.

Also, do a search on the subject of late applications, because I'm by no means an expert.

Eh, you'll be "late," but you're going to get different answers from different people on how late is too late. You can submit your application without your MCAT scores, by the way. If everything goes well, you should be complete by early August.

I'll just say this, because I feel like you may be trying to push your MCAT date closer and closer just to avoid a gap year (I'm assuming you're a traditional applicant): Taking a gap year is not the end of the world. I've grappled with the very same decision and I'll tell you that there is a certain amount of relief that comes with an extra year to prepare your app/work/take a break. Do some searching on these boards for people who have taken gap years, you'll find that most of them are very satisfied with their decision. I'm sure it can be hard to come to terms with though, when you've had this idea of high school --> college --> med school grad at 25 lodged in your head for so long. Just something to consider.

Also, do a search on the subject of late applications, because I'm by no means an expert.

True. Thanks a lot man for your input, definitely helps a lot

Hey, I've decided not to take the MCAT and I have all my books to sell. I literally have everything you need for SN2ed. All TBR, TPR, EK, 35 different FL's from all the companies, and so much more. Email me at: [email protected]. If you guys wanna buy it. Good luck to all of you!

Just taking a break from finals studying :p
Like everyone else I'm planning on using SN2ed starting next Monday.
Also curious, are most people here sophomores? Juniors? Seniors/non-trads?

+1 for this test! I'm applying this year with my score when it releases in September. I'll submit to AMCAS and AACOMAS on 6/1. Is anyone else here taking a review course? I'm signed up for the Princeton review course in Albany, NY. Good luck everyone!

Well this is my thread I guess. Taking on this day, freaking out a little. Must took my ACS organic final and I feel like I bombed it so hopefully that's not a predictor of what's to come. Good luck to everyone!

Posted using SDN Mobile

SN2 takes about 5-6hrs a day for me. Not sure how this is gonna work once I start research after 2 weeks...

Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?
SN2 takes about 5-6hrs a day for me. Not sure how this is gonna work once I start research after 2 weeks...

Have you just started the Sn2 schedule? I just started this week and i was wondering how you review concepts on day 6 (Where you review all concepts you studied for the past week).

Have you just started the Sn2 schedule? I just started this week and i was wondering how you review concepts on day 6 (Where you review all concepts you studied for the past week).
Just finished day 3 with orgo. I think this depends on how comfortable you're with the material. If you think you have a good grasp I don't think it's necessary to spend too much time re-reading the chapter. I take notes on concepts I feel that are important so I will be revisiting those as well. I'm not strictly following SN2ed in terms of reviewing since I know how I study and how I remember things.

I review mostly what I had difficulty with and practice more of that.

What are you guys doing in addition to reading the BR chapters; do you take notes, make real/virtual (anki) flashcards for equations and such, watch wikipremed videos, or do something else entirely?

For each assigned day I go through the set of Kaplan flashcards. Some of the questions are too easy but they are great for memorizing formulas for physics and general chemistry.
I heard there are some pretty good quiz let flashcards sets to use if you want a challenge.

What are you guys doing in addition to reading the BR chapters; do you take notes, make real/virtual (anki) flashcards for equations and such, watch wikipremed videos, or do something else entirely?
I've been reading through the BR chapters and watching Chad's videos after..I definitely process stuff better by taking notes on it, so as I read I take notes on the important stuff and then rewrite them in a nice clean notebook that I refer back to.

This schedule is def intense and I'm feeling it, because I'm scribing all summer. Lucky that I can study at work though.

I gave myself 15 buffer days and I'm going to be breaking up the schedule a bit for sure.

Hey All,

This is my first kick at using these forums and at writing the MCAT itself. I started studying a few weeks ago, albeit very inefficiently as I had too many distractions. Now, I feel relatively more committed. I did my pre med courses (other than biochem, which I completed this past year) 3-5 years ago, so my sciences are relatively rusty. I hoped on with TPR, so I'm hoping that'd help me on track. Really hoping 3 months will be sufficient. What's your guy's stories?

Hey All,

This is my first kick at using these forums and at writing the MCAT itself. I started studying a few weeks ago, albeit very inefficiently as I had too many distractions. Now, I feel relatively more committed. I did my pre med courses (other than biochem, which I completed this past year) 3-5 years ago, so my sciences are relatively rusty. I hoped on with TPR, so I'm hoping that'd help me on track. Really hoping 3 months will be sufficient. What's your guy's stories?

Why the MCAT and not the DAT?

I'm taking it august 21 and won't be applying till 2016. I plan on potentially retaking it again summer of 2016 if this test expires (it will only expire if schools change the rules they currently have in place)

My roommate and I just signed up. Anyone else from Michigan on here?

Studying from Detroit! Best of luck.

Anyone taking a TPR course? I'm following their schedule in addition to reading TBR chapters for each concept, and I will probably incorporate EK 101 for VR.
Any suggestions from others using a different study schedule?

This is my thread!

Anyone have any suggestions for what to do when you're on vacation? My family and I are going to Disney World for a week, in mid-July. I am on Day 8 of the sn2ed schedule. I really don't think I'll have the time or motivation to study much during vacation, especially since I'll have no where to study in private, which is what I need in order to concentrate. Should I just speed through the weeks before vacation, without break days, so I'm a week ahead and I can take that week off? Or, I was thinking of maybe taking like three practice tests in quick succession and then just reviewing them over vacation when I have time.

Also, does anyone know if projectile motion is still on the MCAT? According to the content outline for physical sciences, the translational motion section only has dimensions, vector addition/components, speed/velocity, acceleration, and free-falling bodies. I've been using Berkeley Review and they have quite a few projectile motion questions, and I don't want to be studying them if it isn't on the test.

Also, does anyone know if projectile motion is still on the MCAT? According to the content outline for physical sciences, the translational motion section only has dimensions, vector addition/components, speed/velocity, acceleration, and free-falling bodies. I've been using Berkeley Review and they have quite a few projectile motion questions, and I don't want to be studying them if it isn't on the test.

i think it's safe to assume yes. i checked the 2009 physical sciences content outline, and the "translational motion" section is still the same as it is now. if TBR is still covering projectile motion in their newer additions, i think that means projectiles are fair game? hope that line of reasoning made sense. i think you'll know for sure if/when you take practice AAMC FLs

2009:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf

I'm pretty sure rotational motion is no longer on the mcat.

I'm taking the TPR Ultimate Classroom Course but I'm mostly going to follow SN2ed's schedule. I'm taking the course as a back-up just so that I can get help with difficult concepts or sections, but I've heard from my friends who took the course that it's mostly about studying on your own. Class starts in June but I'm going to start SN2's schedule on Wednesday.

i think it's safe to assume yes. i checked the 2009 physical sciences content outline, and the "translational motion" section is still the same as it is now. if TBR is still covering projectile motion in their newer additions, i think that means projectiles are fair game? hope that line of reasoning made sense. i think you'll know for sure if/when you take practice AAMC FLs

2009:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf

Okay, that makes sense. I'll check the FLs and make sure.

I'm taking it august 21 and won't be applying till 2016. I plan on potentially retaking it again summer of 2016 if this test expires (it will only expire if schools change the rules they currently have in place)

Hey that's when I'm applying too, and that's my backup plan as well :) score!