The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
just purchased the AAMC self-assessment package and found a promo code (MCATMAY14) for 10% off, in case anyone's looking to order any of their materials.

edit: it worked for the self-assessment package, not sure if it would for practice FLs, but thought i'd throw it out there

So I am at Day 12 of the Sn2ed Study Schedule.
For most of the passages assigned i am usually getting between 2-4 (out of 7) questions wrong.
I am curious what number correct are you guys aiming for while taking these passages.
I realize that Berkeley Prep has ridiculous passages but i feel like this is really high.

For most of the passages assigned i am usually getting between 2-4 (out of 7) questions wrong.
I am curious what number correct are you guys aiming for while taking these passages.
I realize that Berkeley Prep has ridiculous passages but i feel like this is really high.

I'm not even finishing the passages within the 7 min/passage guideline... Is that the timing everyone is using?

Members don't see this ad :)

I usually average 3 wrong per passage, but during my review I've noticed usually 2 were just silly mistakes, and 1 was just lack of knowledge (into the flashcard bank it goes). Sometimes I only get 1/7 incorrect (my goal by the end), but other times I totally tank a section and get 5/7 wrong. That's when I revisit the chapter/use Google to do more content review for that particular concept.

I'm not even finishing the passages within the 7 min/passage guideline... Is that the timing everyone is using?

I only run out for gen chem passages. Are you spending a lot of time reading the passage itself? For BS I skip it altogether, for physics, I only look at the passage for those I, II, III questions or if the question is clearly referencing it.

I only run out for gen chem passages. Are you spending a lot of time reading the passage itself? For BS I skip it altogether, for physics, I only look at the passage for those I, II, III questions or if the question is clearly referencing it.
Yeah it's mostly gen chem that I run out of time, then physics to a lesser extent

For verbal passages i do 7, for the other sections i do 8
I'll try doing 8 for phys and GChem and see if it helps!

Yeah it's mostly gen chem that I run out of time, then physics to a lesser extent

I'll try doing 8 for phys and GChem and see if it helps!
I think it will help, I understand Hulk2015 aspect where you don't want to get bogged down with the pointless details but i think rushing is only important during the verbal. For Physical sciences section, I understand there is a good chance you will need to filter some of the information (like in physics questions) but there is a good chance you could miss a small detail about an exception or worse one small sentence that gives the exact answer to one of the questions.

Reactions: 1 users

Im not timing myself until I master the material. I tried timing it but only ended up rushing myself and guessing on most answers. Im now practicing without timing for the moment and in the rest of the 1/3 I will do it with timing. Same thing for verbal. 7 min per passage is too little to start out.

Reactions: 2 users
So i m a little curious. has anyone here take a Diagnostic test before starting or have an idea when they will take their first full length;

Im not timing myself until I master the material. I tried timing it but only ended up rushing myself and guessing on most answers. Im now practicing without timing for the moment and in the rest of the 1/3 I will do it with timing. Same thing for verbal. 7 min per passage is too little to start out.

I have this too! I was timing myself at first and getting really frustrated when I was getting like one right. Not timing now and getting 2-3 wrong which is way way better.

On another note, anyone else struggling with physics?!!!

I have this too! I was timing myself at first and getting really frustrated when I was getting like one right. Not timing now and getting 2-3 wrong which is way way better.

On another note, anyone else struggling with physics?!!!

Me, definitely. I am having to reteach myself everything, I didn't realize how much I didn't learn in class. My professor was an absolute sweetheart and everyone loved him personally but he did not teach. Anyone have any tips? I just did the 1st 1/3 for BR Physics Ch. 3 and got 50% correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me, definitely. I am having to reteach myself everything, I didn't realize how much I didn't learn in class. My professor was an absolute sweetheart and everyone loved him personally but he did not teach. Anyone have any tips? I just did the 1st 1/3 for BR Physics Ch. 3 and got 50% correct.

Im using Examkrackers for a general overview and then BR for a more extensive coverage

for physics, i rely a lot on intuition, solving for exponents (10^x), and then if both those fail, doing the calculations. by intuition i mean picturing/relating personal experience to the scenarios. this helped me a lot on the rollercoaster passage and the penalty goal projectile passage. in another passage, there's a question on the best angle (min. work, or something) to drag a box, so if you take a second to think about the way you've ever pulled an object before, it can help you narrow down to at least two choices. for questions that ask for a percentage, i think BR does a pretty good job of explaining how to eliminate bad/extreme choices.
sorry if that wasn't very helpful. if your problem isn't narrowing down choices but just choosing the correct one, i feel for you. BR bio is absolutely killing me.

for physics, i rely a lot on intuition, solving for exponents (10^x), and then if both those fail, doing the calculations. by intuition i mean picturing/relating personal experience to the scenarios. this helped me a lot on the rollercoaster passage and the penalty goal projectile passage. in another passage, there's a question on the best angle (min. work, or something) to drag a box, so if you take a second to think about the way you've ever pulled an object before, it can help you narrow down to at least two choices. for questions that ask for a percentage, i think BR does a pretty good job of explaining how to eliminate bad/extreme choices.
sorry if that wasn't very helpful. if your problem isn't narrowing down choices but just choosing the correct one, i feel for you. BR bio is absolutely killing me.
BR bio is a beast. I don't even time myself and just use it as an exercise in narrowing down answers then understanding strategies. It's so hard to motivate myself to do BR bio

Posted using SDN Mobile

BR bio is a beast. I don't even time myself and just use it as an exercise in narrowing down answers then understanding strategies. It's so hard to motivate myself to do BR bio

Posted using SDN Mobile

same here! thinking about switching to a different company for bio passages. does anyone have a recommendation?

same here! thinking about switching to a different company for bio passages. does anyone have a recommendation?
I just ordered TPRH science. From combing the 30+ thread it's almost guaranteed if you do the whole book properly you'll get 10+

Posted using SDN Mobile

I just ordered TPRH science. From combing the 30+ thread it's almost guaranteed if you do the whole book properly you'll get 10+

Posted using SDN Mobile
Is it supposed to be better than EK 1001? Given that the schedule allows for extra practice using those materials

I've looked through EK1001 for Physics, Chem and Orgo. From what I can see, the TPR SW is more of a balance between discretes and passages while EK1001 is just discretes. EK1001 tends to hammer down on the same topic for a couple of questions though so it's great for really getting concepts down. TPRH still has a lot of discretes (Close to 400 I think for physics, with the least amount for bio I think).

So you guys think if I have TPRH Science Workbook I shouldn't need TBR Bio? I bought the science workbook but skipped out on TBR bio since everyone says its way overkill, and was just going to use EK bio, but I feel like the EK Bio's questions aren't going to get me through on the MCAT so I was thinking of breaking down and getting TBR, but if the science workbook will be enough I'll just save my 70 bucks

So you guys think if I have TPRH Science Workbook I shouldn't need TBR Bio? I bought the science workbook but skipped out on TBR bio since everyone says its way overkill, and was just going to use EK bio, but I feel like the EK Bio's questions aren't going to get me through on the MCAT so I was thinking of breaking down and getting TBR, but if the science workbook will be enough I'll just save my 70 bucks
I'm not planning to use my copy of TBR Bio for anything. If I need more bio practice after my TPRH, I'll buy EK 1001.

From combing this website a little bit, I think I'm going to get more serious about using TBR bio but not be super strict about it - just doing what I can because harder questions can never hurt

I've looked through EK1001 for Physics, Chem and Orgo. From what I can see, the TPR SW is more of a balance between discretes and passages while EK1001 is just discretes. EK1001 tends to hammer down on the same topic for a couple of questions though so it's great for really getting concepts down. TPRH still has a lot of discretes (Close to 400 I think for physics, with the least amount for bio I think).
That makes sense, I've definitely found passages more useful --especially since they force you to work on timing
Do you think the science workbook be useful for gen chem and physics in the same way?
I'm fine with BR bio passages so I wouldn't get it just for the bio, but more chem/phys practice could help if it's better than 1001

That makes sense, I've definitely found passages more useful --especially since they force you to work on timing
Do you think the science workbook be useful for gen chem and physics in the same way?
I'm fine with BR bio passages so I wouldn't get it just for the bio, but more chem/phys practice could help if it's better than 1001

Absolutely. The book is about 1000 pages long with just questions and passages for all science subjects. It is going to be my main resource.

I'll be applying this cycle. I'm having a tough time finishing my personal statement, 40+hrs/week job, plus studying. I am enrolled in PR which started last week, so I'm hoping that focuses my studying and makes me a little more efficient.

Currently on Day 28 of Sn2ed study schedule, I feel like every week i am spending my day off catching up on passages i havent finished through the week;
im mostly fine until i have to do the 2/3 of every chapter then im playing catchup and i feel like im not getting enough time to do enough post-passage analysis.
Any tips, thanks alot

I'm planning on taking the MCAT June 21 but am feeling like it's not going to be pretty based on the scores I've been getting, does anyone in this thread know that if I don't do well on the MCAT on 6/21 can I take it again in August and still have them consider my new score?

Currently on Day 28 of Sn2ed study schedule, I feel like every week i am spending my day off catching up on passages i havent finished through the week;
im mostly fine until i have to do the 2/3 of every chapter then im playing catchup and i feel like im not getting enough time to do enough post-passage analysis.
Any tips, thanks alot

I continue to sacrifice re-reading chapters in order to do significant post-passage analysis. The post-passage stuff is what I get the most out of imo

Hello everyone! This is my test date. I think I'm behind on the schedule. Only finished all of the chapter 1s and a couple chapter 2s. I'm glad that I'm not the only one doing horribly on TBR passages :(

Oh gosh I'm not near chapter 6. I'm still on chapter 4. If I continue to be this behind, I would have no choice but to reschedule :(

I haven't. I'm not done reviewing so I know I would bomb it; wouldn't tell me anything useful :/
Im debating rescheduling it too if it makes you feel any better, I havent taken any practice test but i consistently get between 2-4 wrong (Out of 7) and it feels a little to inconsistent.

Im debating rescheduling it too if it makes you feel any better, I havent taken any practice test but i consistently get between 2-4 wrong (Out of 7) and it feels a little to inconsistent.

At least you're far ahead in reviewing and have a lot of practice time!
Rescheduling sucks because it means I would be taking it during the school year, meaning marginal benefits of more time

How is everyone doing? I’m finally starting to feel like I’m getting in a groove with studying. Averaging 5 hours a day but hoping to crank that up to 7 or 8 this week. I just bit the bullet and spent the $85 for two months access to Chad’s videos. They’re really helping me a lot. I’ve been watching a set of his videos then going back to my Princeton workbooks to reinforce it. Some of the math is tough for me because it’s been so long since I’ve taken physics. Mostly unit dimension problems.

So I'm really considered making myself a shirt that says "I hate the MCAT" and wearing it on test day... thoughts?

Reactions: 2 users
I finished up the first read through of Ch 6 for the TBR PS books and Ch 7 for TPR Bio and Ochem. I'm planning to take the first AAMC on July 21, exactly a month before but I might start a little earlier.

Is anyone else finding TPR Bio to be impossibly detailed? I covered the nervous/endocrine systems today and the detail just buried me...

Hey everyone. I'm taking TBR course but I recently bought the EK 1001 series for supplement. I was looking through Sn2's study schedule and can't seem to find where he/she talks about how we should use the books in conjunction with TBR's books. Is anyone using them?