The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone sees a bald girl walking around UT campus this week, it'll be me....I'm literally pulling my hair out waiting. This is excruciating.

Reactions: 1 users
Please tell me you are kidding. There will be many more important tests in the future! You are amazing! We are all amazing! Go us!!

Lol I wish. I don't know what else to do if I don't get my desired score. This is already my retake. Thanks for the kind words anyway :)

It's almost time. My happiness for the remainder of my life depends on this test's results.
Happiness....hahaha

The rest of your life is wrong, it will only make you happy for a short period of time. Then the real work begins if you get into medical school. Then it is test after test after test after test.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol I wish. I don't know what else to do if I don't get my desired score. This is already my retake. Thanks for the kind words anyway :)

If you really want to be a doctor and your score sucks, then you'll study harder and retake (hopefully before the test changes).

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken the new Gold Standard Verbal Exams just for practice?I did one and it seemed like they intentionally convoluted it and filled it with b.s to make it harder.

It's not about being fun. If you can't hold up a basic moral agreement on the MCAT what kind of doctor do u think you'll be?

What is moral about the MCAT? It is a required medical school test and they force you to pay $300.

What is moral about the MCAT? It is a required medical school test and they force you to pay $300.
No point in a spat here the mcat exam says no discussion of topics seen on the mcat, it is stupid in my opinion but it is their rule. But just because you want to discuss it doesn't mean you have bad character that was a bit much on equating mcat discussion to the type of doctor one would be though..

No point in a spat here the mcat exam says no discussion of topics seen on the mcat, it is stupid in my opinion but it is their rule. But just because you want to discuss it doesn't mean you have bad character that was a bit much on equating mcat discussion to the type of doctor one would be though..
I apologize I don't wanna make this thread into a big discussion of morals either. It's not the point of it. I'm not the one who makes the rules tho, and it's a pretty simple rule.

Has anyone taken the new Gold Standard Verbal Exams just for practice?I did one and it seemed like they intentionally convoluted it and filled it with b.s to make it harder.
I took a few but then replaced them with examkrackers. I didn't think it was very representative of AAMC.

I took a few but then replaced them with examkrackers. I didn't think it was very representative of AAMC.
How did you think they were? Ive done a good portion of TPRH and EK which are main idea based of course, but the GS seemed not really focused on main idea and theme and very convoluted. How'd you do in comparison to EK

How did you think they were? Ive done a good portion of TPRH and EK which are main idea based of course, but the GS seemed not really focused on main idea and theme and very convoluted. How'd you do in comparison to EK
I averaged 11 on GS, 10.5 on EK, and 11.25 on AAMC. I was quite consistent with 11's on almost all the GS and AAMC tests, while my scores were pretty variable on EK. I chalk that up to not having the same focus because it wasn't computer-based. That was my main problem with EK; it doesn't feel like a real VR section (altho the question style seems similar). GS to me seemed too much simply looking back over the passage to find the word for word answer, which doesn't happen as often in the real deal.

I averaged 11 on GS, 10.5 on EK, and 11.25 on AAMC. I was quite consistent with 11's on almost all the GS and AAMC tests, while my scores were pretty variable on EK. I chalk that up to not having the same focus because it wasn't computer-based. That was my main problem with EK; it doesn't feel like a real VR section (altho the question style seems similar). GS to me seemed too much simply looking back over the passage to find the word for word answer, which doesn't happen as often in the real deal.
Good job. Have you taken the MCAT?, seems like the gold standard passages are long ( the new ones) in a regards to any TPR or EK for the most part, hows the length in comparison( excluding the 1 or 2 longer passages you'll always get)

Good job. Have you taken the MCAT?, seems like the gold standard passages are long ( the new ones) in a regards to any TPR or EK for the most part, hows the length in comparison( excluding the 1 or 2 longer passages you'll always get)
I took it 8/21, but tbh i can't even remember how long the passages were in comparison. I still had enough time to finish on the real deal, but admittedly I did have less time to spare on the real deal compared to practices. I don't think it was the difference in length, but moreso me second-guessing my answers more and rereading questions to make sure i wasn't missing something.

I took it 8/21, but tbh i can't even remember how long the passages were in comparison. I still had enough time to finish on the real deal, but admittedly I did have less time to spare on the real deal compared to practices. I don't think it was the difference in length, but moreso me second-guessing my answers more and rereading questions to make sure i wasn't missing something.
Gotcha. Good luck, any recommendations for PS

Happiness....hahaha

The rest of your life is wrong, it will only make you happy for a short period of time. Then the real work begins if you get into medical school. Then it is test after test after test after test.

It is happiness for me, since it's my 3rd time applying. Med school is a fresh start for me.

Are you guys "preparing" for tomorrow in any way? I really feel like I'm losing my mind over here.
Sadly all I can do is study for my exams tomorrow... But after those are over I'm gonna workout then go out to bars lol. Anyone have good plans to celebrate/drown their sorrows?

Are you guys "preparing" for tomorrow in any way? I really feel like I'm losing my mind over here.

I moved my flute lesson to before my 9:30, then I'll be taking a microbiology exam, then I canceled work and research so that I could drive home and either cry, celebrate, or apathetically watch Netflix.

For me it's gonna go something like this:
1. Shadowing until 3
2. Anatomy Midterm until 6:30
3. Driving home while listening to "Every Little Thing is Gonna Be Alright" by Bob Marley.
4. Go to AAMC website and type username and password
5. Take 3 deep breaths
6. Hit Enter
7. To be determined (cry, laugh, celebrate, etc.)
8. Post thoughts on SDN

I have midterms on both Wednesday and Monday so regardless of my score I have to buckle down and get a lot of studying done.... but it's going to be especially hard if I don't do well. At this point, I can't do anything else besides hope for the best.

Only thing I regret slightly is telling absolutely everyone I know that I get my scores back tomorrow! Just could not stop thinking or talking about this since I took the test.

What would be most difficult for me is not scoring my target. I mean, studying for 400 hours, doing really well on AAMCs, and getting a score on the lower end must be totally crushing.

Reactions: 3 users
Only thing I regret slightly is telling absolutely everyone I know that I get my scores back tomorrow! Just could not stop thinking or talking about this since I took the test.

What would be most difficult for me is not scoring my target. I mean, studying for 400 hours, doing really well on AAMCs, and getting a score on the lower end must be totally crushing.
I second this.

I second this.
I third this +pity+ I think this could be my reaction
amerikietiškos-gamybos1.gif

Has anybody looked at the 8/27 MCAT thread? I know the n is ridiculously small to make generalizations, but many people have said their exam was comparable to the practice ones, where as I felt our exam was much more difficult- ugh i am hoping for a large curve
ahh I took the 27th Aug.. And I feel I failed.
Im scared that people found it comparable...

Same here. I'm taking honors biochem (our professor makes us memorize 300 definitions, WORD-FOR-WORD, on top of everything else you typically have to memorize in biochem [although I've been told by multiple doctors/med students this class is most representative of what classes are like in medical school...an ungodly amount of pure rote memorization; very few concepts]), honors neurobio, advanced anatomy and physiology, hormones and the brain, and biomedical ethics. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't also doing research and the regrettable amount of leadership positions I've over committed myself to. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it out of this semester alive. :( I'm strongly considering dropping some of the extracurriculars because I don't know if I can make it another year like this...

thats just insane! taking 6 courses? plus all the extra BS?
goodluck surviving!

That's exactly my boat. Plateau'd at my ideal score after 500 hours of studying, but it doesn't seem like the AAMC average is a reliable indicator anymore. I feel like I totally bombed this test and I'm dreading having to retake :/

I am so freaking nervous. Literally, I'm just praying for at least a 30. I have never been too religious, but right now I am feeling that I am on the wrong side of karma / haven't been a good enough person and I'm just gonna get swatted. AGH. I wish I could've known sooner so if I had done bad I could sign up for retake earlier. I'm worried that all the spots will be filled in January. I think I'm going to have the MCAT test order page prepped up to order when I open my test.

Best of luck though guys, we all poured our hearts and souls into this. We can retake - we can survive.

Honestly I would be slightly disappointed with anything less than a 30 considering the difficulty of this exam. I'm hoping the PS section got a HUGE curve! I kind of phased out of BS and Verbal after deal with the Goliath that was the PS section.

Hoping for the Best!!!! Just thinking !!! How soon can one retake the exam and still apply for this cycle?