The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Test Date: 08/21/2014
Time: 2pm
FL AAMC Average: 38.75
Post-test expected score: no clue!
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/09/15 = 38!!!

Knew I bombed the verbal, but whatevs! Best day evaa.

Reactions: 4 users
So relieved
Test Date: 8/21/14
Time: 1pm
FL AAMC Average: 38.5
Post-test expected score: no idea
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14-10-15-39
I will post more later but this is the best feeling ive had in a long time.
Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 38.75
Post-test expected score: no clue!
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/09/15 = 38!!!

Knew I bombed the verbal, but whatevs! Best day evaa.

**** which means I'll be lucky to score an 8...

By the way, I'm not checking my score for a while. I need a little more time not feeling like a failure in life haha

FL AAMC Average: 32 (only used the ones i thought were representative)
Post-test expected score: <30
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 11/09/12 = 32

feeling relieved I didn't bomb but a little rattled by verbal. sucks since I'm canadian.

god damn

Test Date: 8/21
Time: 1 PM
FL AAMC Average: 34.5
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 30 (11/09/10)

I've NEVER scored below a 10 on verbal. My diagnostic was a 29, and I plateau'd at straight even 36s on my last 4 tests. Seriously crushed right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Test Date: 08/21/14
Time: 1PM
FL AAMC Average: 38-39
Post-test expected score: ~35
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 30 (11 PS/10 VR/9 BS)

I'm incredibly saddened by this. I don't really know what to say or do. I studied my mind out for 3 months this summer. I didn't even feel that bad about the exam, I thought I did pretty well even though I knew I got several questions wrong. I've gone through so much personal **** the last couple of years, losing a parent and dealing with a bunch of **** and I was really banking on a high MCAT score, and I get 8 points below my average. This is the worst feeling.

FL AAMC Average: 26.7
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 10-10-10 = 30!

My highest score of all!

Reactions: 6 users
Test Date: 8/21
FL AAMC Average: 38 (13.5 PS/ 11.5 V/ 13 BS)
Post-test expected score: 36 (13 PS/10 V/13BS)
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 38 (14 PS/10V/14BS)

I knew verbal would be my lowest. So happy to be done with this test!

FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: around my average
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/11/11 = 34
!

going into this summer my goal was a balanced 33 so I am beyond stoked. Its funny even on the AAMC practices all the verbal sections I found difficult you guys found easy, and the ones you guys found difficult I did well on. Guess that held up for this test as well (felt good about verbal after test (aamc avg was 9)).

Reactions: 1 users
FL AAMC Average: 34.8
Post-test expected score:28-34
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):10/11/11 - 32

Honestly I'm a little bit disappointed I didn't hit my average, but honestly after that wait and the possibility of having to take it over again, whateva whateva I do what I want (in the words of Eric Cartman). To everyone who hit their average - hell yes!! You guys are awesome. I'm not trying to get into any top 10 universities, and I have a bunch of patient contact experience and research and have shadowed in India so I'll get into a couple good schools! To everyone who didn't hit their mark, you can always retake!!

Much love guys.

FL AAMC Average: 27
Post Test expected score: 24-27
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 8-9-10=27

I am so so happy right now. For most of you on here this would not be a good score. This was a retake and I improved from a 24. I am so done with this test!!!!!!! The average MCAT score by everybody who attempts it is a 25.something. The only people who post on this site are either lying (not likely) or the only people who post things are very intelligent.

this was a retake for me. My first test was a 11/4/10 T:25. That 4 really killed me
I retook and got a 10/7/9 T:26, not exactly what I was hoping for.

Trying to figure out what the next step is, i'm thinking a retake

My last practice test before actual test day was 32, was hoping I was in the 30's. Damn verbal is a killer for me, and a little suprised by the dip in the PS and BS, I thought I had improved in both

Time: 1:00 PM
FL AAMC Average: 28.4 (n = 6; Range of 25-30)
FL Kaplan Average: 29.3 (n = 4; Range of 26-34)
Post-Test Expected Score: No Idea
Actual Score: 30 (10 PS/10 VR/ 10 BS)

I'll take it. Not the most amazing score, but I'm just happy to be done with it. Also kind of puts things in perspective in that even though a 30 is viewed as "barely competitive", it's still a higher score than 75-80% of those who took the test. This test is a beast and this is just one of many steps for those of us crazy enough to go after this profession. I wish you all the best of luck.

Third attempt, first attempt was a 29, second was 32 with 10-10-12 and this one I ended up with 34 with 13-9-12. Feel really upset about the verbal :(

FL AAMC Average: 35-39
Post-test expected score: 30-33 (I felt like I was waaay off my game that day. I got lost driving to the testing center and was just generally not even paying attention to my surroundings).
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12-11-14 = 37! Suck it, MCAT!

Reactions: 3 users
FL AAMC Average: 37 (14/10/13)
Post-test expected score: 32
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 11-06-12 = 29

I couldn't sleep last night due to anxiety, but in the back of my mind I had hope because I thought I did alright on test day. I always try to tell myself to never give up, and keep pressing on as far as I can. I always believed that those who believe they couldn't would probably end up not being able to. I took a 2000 dollar prep course, and studied at least 400 hours over the summer (did TPR, Berkeley, EK 101). I remember losing connection to most of my friends over the summer, as I watched them go on vacation or hang around in the city/beach as I read over textbook over textbook in a dim library. I lost 20 pounds, my health was deteriorating, and my family was going through some family-related issues. Still, I had hope.

I opened my aamc browser today and logged on. As soon as I saw the score, my face stood still. All I saw was tears running down my face. There was no noise. Nothing. Shock. Depression. Isolation. My head sank to the desk, and I couldn't breathe. The world crashed down, as the harsh reality was that...I had failed. I had lost everything.

FL AAMC Average: 34.25 (n=8; range= 31-36); PS/V/BS [12.375,10,11.875]
Post-Test Expected Score: 31-34 (honestly I thought verbal killed me!)
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): [14/10/11] = 35!!!

My goal was to get a 35, and I am so happy I achieved it!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Time: 1:00 pm
FL AAMC Average: 34 (11/11.75/11.25)
Post-test expected score: 30, and it dropped with every passing day!
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 35!!! (11/11/13)

I am so relieved!!! 35 was my goal! I'm just so freaking glad to be done with this test! And so surprised about that 11 in PS, I totally thought I bombed it.

FL AAMC Average: 34 (2nd time taking them)
Post-test expected score: Didn't want to put a number on it.
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/10/12: 34

This is my 2nd time taking it after I got a 9/7/12: 28 on the May 31st MCAT. I am ecstatic but mostly relieved with this score. After taking all of the AAMC's for the first go round, I personally think that if you retake, it is ok to retake the AAMC FL's if you completely forget the questions. Some of the passages will be familiar but that shouldn't alter your score too much. That being said, I really did not review the questions I missed very well/intensively the first time so it may be a unique case for me that I forget the questions. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 2 users
Test Date: 8/21/2014
Time:1 pm
FL AAMC Average: 31.8
Post-test expected score: 30-31
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 33 ( 12:11:10)

I am really relieved, especially with the 11 in verbal. Wishing the best for everybody here

FL AAMC Average: 37 (14/10/13)
Post-test expected score: 32
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 11-06-12 = 29

I couldn't sleep last night due to anxiety, but in the back of my mind I had hope because I thought I did alright on test day. I always try to tell myself to never give up, and keep pressing on as far as I can. I always believed that those who believe they couldn't would probably end up not being able to. I took a 2000 dollar prep course, and studied at least 400 hours over the summer (did TPR, Berkeley, EK 101). I remember losing connection to most of my friends over the summer, as I watched them go on vacation or hang around in the city/beach as I read over textbook over textbook in a dim library. I lost 20 pounds, my health was deteriorating, and my family was going through some family-related issues. Still, I had hope.

I opened my aamc browser today and logged on. As soon as I saw the score, my face stood still. All I saw was tears running down my face. There was no noise. Nothing. Shock. Depression. Isolation. My head sank to the desk, and I couldn't breathe. The world crashed down, as the harsh reality was that...I had failed. I had lost everything.

I'm really sorry you're disappointed by your score. I would be too if I scored 8 points below my average. However, 29 isn't a terrible score. You could either re-take the exam, or apply to low-tier MD schools and/or DO schools. There's still hope. You haven't lost anything.

Reactions: 3 users
Aamc Avg: 26-27
Actual: 24

I'm crushed. I have no words. I just wish that I got a break for once, but here I am again, wishing things turned out differently. I'm a reapplicant, and I have a feeling I will be one yet again.

Time:1 pm
FL AAMC Average: 38.5
Post-test expected score: No idea
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 36 ( 12:10:14)

Honestly bummed I didn't score my average but realistically I realize that a 36 is still a great score and in no way should i be bummed by my score. More than anything I am just relieved this past month of waiting is over.

Time: 1 pm
FL AAMC Average: 34.3
Post-test expected score: 30-33
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 37 (14:11:12)

I honestly am in shock. I never scored a 37 on a practice test. I was highly considering voiding my score at the end because I felt like it went so poorly.
I tend to remember questions I guess on, and when I got home and looked them up, I knew I missed at least 9-10 of them (Including at least 4 on PS). The curve must have been very significant.
Lesson: Never void your score unless something really goes wrong. I am so happy and thankful and going to celebrate now.
Holy molly, good job! what is your break down of FL?

FL AAMC Average: ~34.5
Post-test expected score: idk
Actual Score (PS/V/BS):32 (13/07/12)

And here I thought my mcat woes were over. Signed up for October 21st. I plan on mainly focusing on verbal, and reviewing my sciences on the side. Congrats to everyone who hit their desired score!

I'm really sorry you're disappointed by your score. I would be too if I scored 8 points below my average. However, 29 isn't a terrible score. You could either re-take the exam, or apply to low-tier MD schools and/or DO schools. There's still hope. You haven't lost anything.
The problem is, I'm a canadian student. Even though my GPA is like 3.93, the cutoff for verbal for canadian schools is 11.

FL AAMC Average: 37 (on last 4)
Post-test expected score: 30 :(((
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/10/13 = 37!

I
M BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS RIGHT NOW

Reactions: 1 users
FL AAMC Average: 37
Post-test expected score: ?