The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will you be done with TPRH workbook passages by then?

I'm not using TPRH. Just TBR, TPR bio for content review, anki and AAMC self assessments. I probably won't be 100% done with TBR passages by that point, but I want to start practice tests early to take as many as possible!

I'm not using TPRH. Just TBR, TPR bio for content review, anki and AAMC self assessments. I probably won't be 100% done with TBR passages by that point, but I want to start practice tests early to take as many as possible!

I see. How many TBR passages do you do after each chapter?

I finished up the first read through of Ch 6 for the TBR PS books and Ch 7 for TPR Bio and Ochem. I'm planning to take the first AAMC on July 21, exactly a month before but I might start a little earlier.

Is anyone else finding TPR Bio to be impossibly detailed? I covered the nervous/endocrine systems today and the detail just buried me...

hey! I'm taking AAMC #3 (first FL) on the 21st as well! might come cry about my score on here after..

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else feel like they're doing badly on practice passages? After I read each BR chapter I do four practice passages, usually 28 or so questions, and I usually end up missing 8 or so questions. I haven't had an upward trend, either... do I need to spend more time on the reading, or is this normal?

I finished up the first read through of Ch 6 for the TBR PS books and Ch 7 for TPR Bio and Ochem. I'm planning to take the first AAMC on July 21, exactly a month before but I might start a little earlier.

Is anyone else finding TPR Bio to be impossibly detailed? I covered the nervous/endocrine systems today and the detail just buried me...

TPR bio is really detailed! I spent 8 hours yesterday just finishing chapter 3..that'd obviously wayy too long..not sure what to do for rest of the chapters! Can't afford to spend that long on 1 chapter :(

Ya TPR takes long to read for Physics and Bio. I've been doing Orgo TBR passages and I am fluctuating. I find myself going back and forth between 76 to 86%. The curve is also getting harder for the Orgo II book. I don't know what I am doing wrong!!! I am missing about 11 - 12 questions per section test and about 4 wrong per 25 Q review. Is it true that TBR Orgo passages are easier than AAMC?

Ya TPR takes long to read for Physics and Bio. I've been doing Orgo TBR passages and I am fluctuating. I find myself going back and forth between 76 to 86%. The curve is also getting harder for the Orgo II book. I don't know what I am doing wrong!!! I am missing about 11 - 12 questions per section test and about 4 wrong per 25 Q review. Is it true that TBR Orgo passages are easier than AAMC?

I haven't really done any TBR orgo but I actually heard the opposite from a few people. They said TBR orgo was much harder/complicated. Not sure how true that is..Maybe someone who has done it can comment!

TPR bio is really detailed! I spent 8 hours yesterday just finishing chapter 3..that'd obviously wayy too long..not sure what to do for rest of the chapters! Can't afford to spend that long on 1 chapter :(

I think the best thing to do is keep the MCAT BS Topics list handy while you're reading the chapter and just focus on absorbing the main concepts with enough detail to understand how the systems/processes work. It looks like the bio sections on the real MCAT are becoming more about experiment/data analysis and reading comp (of the passage). The only issue is that they tend to ask some very detailed FSQ questions so I guess you just have to hope you can recall those details for those questions :/

scoring 90% TBR verbal passages! i put off verbal until this last month, feeling very comfortable after taking the verbal SA. i know people say that TBR is not at all similar to AAMC, but reading passages this long seems like good practice to get the timing down. but i can see how TBR isn't great if you wanted a verbal resource in order to practice your verbal "technique."

meanwhile, completely failing electrostatics and magnetism passages. it was my worst topic during physics classes too, but these experiment-based passages are such a downer. anyone else struggle-bus-ing on this chapter? i've watched about 3 hours of videos to understand the content, which i feel comfortable with. but then these chapter passages feel like a whole different language.

Is this test date "early enough" to be a part of this year's application cycle? Are you guys going to send your applications at August 1st (without MCAT score?) or should we at least do it after we take the test while score is being processed.

Just took my first practice test today (AAMCAS #3). I got a 37 (13 PS/12 V/12 BS) which I was thrilled about. I started with SN2 schedule, but wasn't able to start until June 9th. I just finished the content yesterday (I have been doing almost 2 sections everyday for the past month). Because I was so rushed with getting through the content, I didn't actually do any of the questions at the end of each chapter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took my first practice test (AAMC 3) and got a 32 (11/11/10). I feel good about this. I'm aiming for a 35.

It's weird, because just the other day I had a dream I took my first practice test and got a 32. Dreams do come true!

Just took my first practice test (AAMC 3) and got a 32 (11/11/10). I feel good about this. I'm aiming for a 35.

It's weird, because just the other day I had a dream I took my first practice test and got a 32. Dreams do come true!

Good for you!! That's an amazing score! In my case, I keep having nightmares that I slept through my MCAT :/ (hope that doesn't come true!)

Good for you!! That's an amazing score! In my case, I keep having nightmares that I slept through my MCAT :/ (hope that doesn't come true!)

every semester i have nightmares that i'll sleep through my finals! i wake up with my heart pounding--not very pleasant

1 month away, how's everyone doing?

also just finished AAMC 3: 9/11/9

the things i got wrong definitely hit my weak spots in gen chem, and bio passages are always an uphill battle for me

hoping i can keep verbal consistent. like @getfat said, it only goes up from here!

just finished reviewing AAMC 3 verbal (don't worry, no spoilers), and here are the notes of things I want to improve on/continue practicing for the next time. maybe someone else will find it useful

1. don't second guess yourself. (I missed 3 questions doing this, won't make that mistake again! :sour:)
2. go with your gut. let's say you've narrowed down to A and C. if there is even a single word in choice C that feels off/makes you a little uneasy, then don't pick C
3. whenever possible, after you read the question, try to answer it yourself before reading the answer choices. and always read every single answer choice (almost missed a question because I got too hasty)
4. for questions that ask you to summarize a main point or thesis: the author almost never directly states their main point. if any of the answer choices are just paraphrasing a specific sentence from the passage, eliminate them.
5. for a question that reads "X is used as evidence to support...[Y]" and you have to choose what Y is: locate the sentence where X is stated, then rely on the contents directly within that sentence or the sentence(s) directly after. don't draw inferences from other places earlier/later in the passage.
6. mark "according to the passage" questions. if you have time to review, go back into the passage and double check. the answer is just a basic fact retrieval (this helps me feel more confident, you might find this a waste of time though)
7. "the author would most likely support..." questions: narrow it down best you can, then for each answer choice think hard about the pros of each. i didn't do this because I was silly enough to let my own opinion guide me. but it's not what you support, it's what the author will support, that matters.
8. questions that ask "which of the following strengthens/weakens the argument that..." ask yourself, even if 3/4 choices are true statements, which one actually addresses the argument presented in the question? the rest are probably just facts that are sort of relevant to the topic.

Reactions: 1 users
just finished reviewing AAMC 3 verbal (don't worry, no spoilers), and here are the notes of things I want to improve on/continue practicing for the next time. maybe someone else will find it useful

1. don't second guess yourself. (I missed 3 questions doing this, won't make that mistake again! :sour:)
2. go with your gut. let's say you've narrowed down to A and C. if there is even a single word in choice C that feels off/makes you a little uneasy, then don't pick C
3. whenever possible, after you read the question, try to answer it yourself before reading the answer choices. and always read every single answer choice (almost missed a question because I got too hasty)
4. for questions that ask you to summarize a main point or thesis: the author almost never directly states their main point. if any of the answer choices are just paraphrasing a specific sentence from the passage, eliminate them.
5. for a question that reads "X is used as evidence to support...[Y]" and you have to choose what Y is: locate the sentence where X is stated, then rely on the contents directly within that sentence or the sentence(s) directly after. don't draw inferences from other places earlier/later in the passage.
6. mark "according to the passage" questions. if you have time to review, go back into the passage and double check. the answer is just a basic fact retrieval (this helps me feel more confident, you might find this a waste of time though)
7. "the author would most likely support..." questions: narrow it down best you can, then for each answer choice think hard about the pros of each. i didn't do this because I was silly enough to let my own opinion guide me. but it's not what you support, it's what the author will support, that matters.
8. questions that ask "which of the following strengthens/weakens the argument that..." ask yourself, even if 3/4 choices are true statements, which one actually addresses the argument presented in the question? the rest are probably just facts that are sort of relevant to the topic.

This is FANTASTIC advice. I looked over my verbal today and I definitely spend a lot of time second guessing myself and waste a lot of time that way. I think #2 is great advice in here. Thank you so much for sharing this!

This is FANTASTIC advice. I looked over my verbal today and I definitely spend a lot of time second guessing myself and waste a lot of time that way. I think #2 is great advice in here. Thank you so much for sharing this!

glad you find it helpful! don't feel too discouraged about your score. my advice is wait until you take another FL, then decide about postponing.

just to rant some more, to no one in particular, I know a lot of people here focus on "reading techniques" for verbal, but my attitude has always been: they're testing you on your technique of answering the questions. no one cares how well you can read. obviously, understanding the passage is hugely important, but sometimes I think people get more hung up on reading technique (passage mapping, blah blah) than strategies that help them avoid question traps. I've found that most of the verbal questions fall into one of the following themes:
- main argument/main thesis
- what strengthens/weakens an argument
- X is used as evidence/in order to prove...
- according to the passage (aka direct retrieval)
- definition questions: the term XYZ means/is used to illustrate...

so with that in mind, I've been trying to hone in strategies related to answering these question types, and the common pitfalls they use to trip you up

Hello everyone! First time posting here.

I finally finished content review yesterday (wasn't able to start in June) and took my first practice FL today!
AAMC 3 (11/12/11). I'm somewhat relieved, but also can't help be disappointed with the low science scores seeing as I've finished content review already. Aiming for 38+.

Is a month enough to substantially improve in PS/BS?

Hello everyone! First time posting here.

I finally finished content review yesterday (wasn't able to start in June) and took my first practice FL today!
AAMC 3 (11/12/11). I'm somewhat relieved, but also can't help be disappointed with the low science scores seeing as I've finished content review already. Aiming for 38+.

Is a month enough to substantially improve in PS/BS?

It most definitely is...if you are willing to dedicate a good amount of time. Do TPRH passages to further nail down your concepts and to get comfortable doing experimental based passages

Thanks, BornToLead. I'll do that asap.
I haven't done the self-assessment package yet. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to do them 1-2 weeks before test day to boost confidence. I think I'm going to go over more practice FLs first, study my weak areas, and then take them.

Have you started? Would it be helpful to take them sooner then later?

Thanks, BornToLead. I'll do that asap.
I haven't done the self-assessment package yet. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to do them 1-2 weeks before test day to boost confidence. I think I'm going to go over more practice FLs first, study my weak areas, and then take them.

Have you started? Would it be helpful to take them sooner then later?

No problem!
Yes I have started taking them.
I am of the opinion that its better to utilize all your resources before taking the aamc tests so I would recommend doing them before the FL....just my 2 cents.
BTW thats a great score on aamc 3 (and you dived in to without doing any practice passages)!

if you're not worried about timing during the self assessments, then i highly recommend having a word doc up while you do it, and writing your thought process down for each question. this really helped me choose not only the right answer, but forced me to think about why the other three choices were wrong (especially useful when you can narrow down to two...then choose the wrong one)

Reactions: 1 users
Just to post my experience, as I'm scheduled for Aug. 21st and am alternating between being absolutely thrilled to finally take the test for which I spent the last three years preparing and terrified that I will feel less than perfect when I wake up on test day:

Here's what I have done so far, in chronological order:
  • AAMC #4--31 (before any studying)
  • TBR Gen Chem--read everything + did all problems
  • TBR Physics--read everything + did all problems
  • EK Bio--read everything + flash cards for stuff like hormones
  • EK 1001 Bio--did every problem
  • AAMC official guide--did every problem
  • AAMC Self-Assessments--did every problem
  • GS FL 1-3--30, 33, 34
  • AAMC #5--36
  • TPR Cracking FL 1-2--28, 31
  • AAMC #7--36
  • TBR FL--did 1-3 (avg. score = 33) and will be finishing 4-7 in the next 10 days or so
  • Tons of Bio review!
  • TPR 2013 Science Workbook--did all 425 physics discretes (lol!) and will be doing the rest of the problems as I go, but I'm not sure how far I will get. I just got this book.
My plan now is to finish the rest of the TBR FLs, do as many GS FLs as I can tolerate, and then squeeze every last drop out of AAMC 8-11 while finishing the TPR Science Workbook.

If it helps for reference, I was scoring around 85-95% correct on the TBR book passages, 80-90% on the EK 1001 (some of their questions are purposefully unclear), and around 99% on the TPRSW physics discretes. My AAMC self-assessment scores, which were actually done somewhere in the middle of content review, were:
  • Bio--88%
  • Chemistry--97%
  • Physics--90%
  • Orgo--88%
  • Verbal--83% (got distracted)
I have a TPR Orgo book, but I never used it. Referring to the next FL I will take, which is AAMC 8, I think that if things go my way in terms of favorable chance and topic distribution, I can def score around 38+, judging from score breakdowns of AAMC 5, and if things don't go my way (like bad luck + weak topics + distractions during verbal), I will score around a 36. I will use the average of 8-11 as my own reference for what I can expect in terms of my score on the actual test.

My friend just scored a 38 on the real one, so things are looking up! His AAMC average was around 36-38. He said the real one seems more difficult when you take it.

Sadly, my father became unexpectedly terminally ill during my studying (about 2.5 weeks ago), but all we can do is keep on keeping on and never lose sight of the goal. In some ways, I've had many blessings, and in other ways, I've faced extreme hardship. Never went into this thinking I deserved anything.

Best of luck to everyone! Choose a goal that involves the one thing you absolutely must do and work at it a little each day, realizing that relaxation, hobbies and time spent with loved ones are integral and nearly always steps forward.

Last edited:
Is this test date "early enough" to be a part of this year's application cycle? Are you guys going to send your applications at August 1st (without MCAT score?) or should we at least do it after we take the test while score is being processed.

Also wondering if this MCAT date is considered beyond late for this application cycle...currently signed up to take it August 7th but have been ill which has eaten away some of my precious studying time.

Also wondering if this MCAT date is considered beyond late for this application cycle...currently signed up to take it August 7th but have been ill which has eaten away some of my precious studying time.
Its late, but if your scores are in before the deadline, its not too late. I'm taking mine now and applying 2015, right when the app opens. Did you submit everything else?

Just finished AAMC 3 (13/10/10). I was happy with PS and Verbal. Not so much with BS. So is this FL really considered the easiest? I'm aiming for a 35+. Hopefully I can pull this score in the next few weeks!

Just finished AAMC 3 (13/10/10). I was happy with PS and Verbal. Not so much with BS. So is this FL really considered the easiest? I'm aiming for a 35+. Hopefully I can pull this score in the next few weeks!

Yeah, I've heard it's the easiest. But that's okay! More practice will help you improve anyway (hopefully).

I did the free Kaplan practice test and scored 3 points above my AAMC score (37: 12/13/12). Has anyone done it?

hey guys new to the thread. i just signed up for this test day after performing poorly on the june 21st test
the GS tests are great practice for physical and biological science
does anyone have good strategies for verbal that seem to be working?

So ready to be done with this test.

In response to previous posters, I've also found that GS tests have been a cost-efficient way for PS/BS practice, although I will admit that there are questions that come up I don't agree/am 99.9% sure wouldn't be asked on the real thing. That being said, practice never hurts. As for the verbal, I stopped using it after the first couple and replaced them with EK 101 passages exams. I've found they are more similar to the AAMC exams I've taken.

As for verbal help, I think everyone has a different experience. For me, I've seen some improvement since starting the EK passages, although this may be just me getting used to their question style. But I've gone from a consistent 10-11 to getting consistent 12s so that's better than nothing.

As we're approaching the last couple weeks, anyone care to share their practice FL scores? Can't hurt to see others trends. For what it's worth, here's mine:

AAMC3 (diagnostic): 11-10-13-34
Kaplan Free: 11-13-15-39
AAMC4: 12-11-15-38
TPR Free: 14-9-12-35
GS1: 12-11-13-36
AAMC5: 14-11-11-36 (depressing BS score)
GS2: 12-10-12-34
GS3: 14-11-15-40
GS4: 12-11-12-35
GS5: 12-11-12-35
GS6 (w/ EK VR3): 13-12-12-37
EK VR4: 12
GS7 (w/ EK VR5): 12-12-14-38 (this PS was killer and really surprised i got a 12)

Took AAMC4 today and got a 37 again (14PS, 12 V, 11BS). I really want to improve my bio score. How is everyone studying bio? (I'm fine on orgo)

Is everyone here planning to apply this cycle or are you waiting until 2015-2016? I was really hoping to apply this cycle- starting my 2nd gap year and really want to get back in school.

Needed to postpone exams I had scheduled in June and July, was hoping to either sit on August 7th or August 21st. Leaning towards the 21st (no late charge + more time).

Thanks!

Is everyone here planning to apply this cycle or are you waiting until 2015-2016? I was really hoping to apply this cycle- starting my 2nd gap year and really want to get back in school.

Needed to postpone exams I had scheduled in June and July, was hoping to either sit on August 7th or August 21st. Leaning towards the 21st (no late charge + more time).

Thanks!
I'm applying for a 2016 matriculation. I won't finish my degree until then but wanted to have the opportunity to retake the current mcat in the winter if necessary