The Official August 22, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Person0715

Socially awkward
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! With just a little less than 2 months to go, I am wondering why this thread hasn't been made yet.

Is anyone else here signed up for the 8/22 MCAT?

I'm following the SN2ed schedule and I can't wait to be done with content review. I'm excited to finally take an AAMC to see if I've been studying correctly these last 2 months.

Members don't see this ad.

8/22er here. I have been looking for this thread! Took the MCAT on 5/18- it was a total disaster. Only a 22 total-- really cracking down this time!!

8/22er here. I have been looking for this thread! Took the MCAT on 5/18- it was a total disaster. Only a 22 total-- really cracking down this time!!

Since you took it once before, what are you doing differently this time?

Do you have any tips for people taking it the first time?

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend going into the test expecting it to be harder than the AAMC or Kaplan practice tests-- I was scoring 27-31 on them and I got significantly lower. I really don't know what happened-- I felt I performed much better than my score reflected. This time, I plan to use TBR exams 1-7. I also recommend TBR for content review.

I recommend going into the test expecting it to be harder than the AAMC or Kaplan practice tests-- I was scoring 27-31 on them and I got significantly lower. I really don't know what happened-- I felt I performed much better than my score reflected. This time, I plan to use TBR exams 1-7. I also recommend TBR for content review.

I am using TBR too and I think they're great. Anyone start taking full lengths? Post your progress here! Or just any misgivings related to MCAT

Also signed up for 8/22. It seemed like every date had a thread but this one. I'm also looking forward to getting my first full length score, though I'm not looking forward to spending hours doing it. I'm taking a Kaplan class since I was given it for free, but I'm supplementing it with TBR for physics and a little EK for bio. I definitely need to find the time to do more physics problems because that's what's holding me back the most.

Also signed up for 8/22. It seemed like every date had a thread but this one. I'm also looking forward to getting my first full length score, though I'm not looking forward to spending hours doing it. I'm taking a Kaplan class since I was given it for free, but I'm supplementing it with TBR for physics and a little EK for bio. I definitely need to find the time to do more physics problems because that's what's holding me back the most.

I'm in the same exact situation. PS is so frustrating sometimes

8/22 as well! Physics seems to be my worst subject as well. Magnetism and Electrostatics? *facepalm*. but I am doing SN2-ed schedule as well..not doing the EKs 101s as its really too much. Doing 2nd 1/3 and reviewing chs takes me two days, not one...and I go over my problems right after I do them rather than wait a day.
My verbal has gotten so much better! It really is about pattern recognition.
Can't wait to start taking the AAMCs. Like OP said, wanna see how much of this content review the last 1.5 months has stuck.

taking exam 8/22... made up my own schedule similar to sn2ed but using all EK and only TBR for Gchem and Phys... spent 4 weeks just reading 2 chapters a day taking notes, and the last 4 weeks doing the respective chapter questions with notes on things I miss or need to understand better...

I've been consistently scoring 12-13 on all of the TBR chapter tests, while scoring lower 9-11 on the EK 30-min exams... honestly I hate the EK questions. Some of them are just out of nowhere, like how the *&*& am i supposed to know that??? Things that aren't even discussed in the book.... while TBR seems more straight forward and real, while difficult.

Anybody else using EK for questions? I'm about done with all my chapter material and I think I'm gonna ditch what's left of EK and focus more on TBR bio passages. I will start with full lengths in about a week.

taking exam 8/22... made up my own schedule similar to sn2ed but using all EK and only TBR for Gchem and Phys... spent 4 weeks just reading 2 chapters a day taking notes, and the last 4 weeks doing the respective chapter questions with notes on things I miss or need to understand better...

I've been consistently scoring 12-13 on all of the TBR chapter tests, while scoring lower 9-11 on the EK 30-min exams... honestly I hate the EK questions. Some of them are just out of nowhere, like how the *&*& am i supposed to know that??? Things that aren't even discussed in the book.... while TBR seems more straight forward and real, while difficult.

Anybody else using EK for questions? I'm about done with all my chapter material and I think I'm gonna ditch what's left of EK and focus more on TBR bio passages. I will start with full lengths in about a week.

Nice score on the TBR passages. I've only been using EK for bio and the 1001 series. I think I'm gonna ditch the 1001 series soon and start TPR's science hyperlearning workbook. The questions in EK 1001 are so oddly worded.

finally been looking for this thread for a while, 8/22 test taker following the sn2ed schedule the best i can...

anyone planning on taking FLs besides the AAMC released ones? and if so which ones?

finally been looking for this thread for a while, 8/22 test taker following the sn2ed schedule the best i can...

anyone planning on taking FLs besides the AAMC released ones? and if so which ones?

I have a whole bunch of kaplan full length tests that I'll prob be taking in a couple weeks... I donno how legit they are tho

Last edited:

I have a whole bunch of kaplan full length tests that I'll prob be taking in a couple weeks... I donno how legit they are tho

I also have a bunch of the aamc FLs (3-9) that have 77/60/77 questions instead of 52/40/52...

Members don't see this ad :)

I have access to Kaplan FL's too. I've heard PS was more calculation heavy than AAMC's. Word of caution about Kaplan's verbal though, it is nothing like the real thing. Their verbal is extremely straightforward and detail oriented.

I have access to Kaplan FL's too. I've heard PS was more calculation heavy than AAMC's. Word of caution about Kaplan's verbal though, it is nothing like the real thing. Their verbal is extremely straightforward and detail oriented.

Yeah I don't know if I will even do the kaplan fl's I might try a couple and see what they're like and compare to aamc...

I feel pretty confident right now in PS after using both EK and TBR, but I don't know what to do with biology. I think I will spend my last month doing my aamc FL and TBR biology passages.. along with pinpointing areas that feel weak wherever.

8/22er here as well. Starting to study today. Retake from attempt last year with 3 months under my belt of hard studying. This time around using EK books with EK1001 supplement and TPRH Verbal and Science workbook. Let's do this!

When did you take it last? Do you have any tips for people taking it for the first time?

I'm an 8/22-er also. I've been haunting these boards for the past few months just to get an idea of other study methods, etc....looking for anything to help!!

I started out the summer with Sn2ed's schedule which I thought was amazing...but then I moved to a new area and got a new job so I've had to abandon it for about a month. Needless to say, there's no catching up from that...so I'm doing a "modified" Sn2ed schedule using EK books instead of TBR. Finding it quite manageable and decently helpful.

Looking forward to comparing notes about studying and all that other jazz--good luck everyone! Let's do this!

Working on the last chapter of TBR physics. It reminded me just how much I hate physics. Light and optics are the worst!

I'm going to move my test date from Aug 3rd to Aug 22 those extra weeks are going to help a lot! I study 8 to 10 hours a day (quit my job) just to kill this Mcat! Ive taken Kaplan prep course and im just doing content review, topical test, subject test and as many practice questions as I can get my paws on... about 6 weeks until show time!

Officially done with content review! Finally. Now, time to move onto the AAMC self assessments.

Anyone else want to share their progress?

yo yo yo

takin august 22 as well (hopefully)

following SN2ed schedule cuz all the cool people are doing it and i wanna be cool too..

desafortunadamente i am a wee bit behind but hope to finish content by july 31st.
not gonna do the self-assessments.. i figure if i can do well on aamc(32+ avg.) then i should be fine anyway and if i dont then i will do them later on.

so that will give me 21 days for the all the aamcs and 3/3 passages. ( no break days :scared:)

and why is this thread so quiett??? come on.. 22ers unite!

:laugh:

taking the first FL tomorrow, finished up the last 2/3 today hopefully this content review paid off following the sn2 schedule it was a grind for sure...feeling way too nervous for a practice FL for some reason, i hope the content review actually stuck in my head.

Taking Kaplan FL 1 hope it goes well.

Are any of you still applying this cycle or is it too late to get in by taking the mcat on the 22 of august?

Working on the last chapter of TBR physics. It reminded me just how much I hate physics. Light and optics are the worst!

d00d optics is the shiZz. Favorite topic in physics, no joke. It seems to me like the most straightforward with the least equations to memorize, but I guess I'm biased because of experience with in in high school. :thumbup:

Got a 12 on TBR phys 10 optics, 40/52.. lowest score so far for TBR.. Ppl say TBR is harder than the real deal so I hope that is true... I think they are pretty easy/straightforward just sometimes ask somewhat ridiculous questions that I don't feel bad at all about missing... Done with review/practice chapter tests... Got calc 3 exam in the morning (cram) then AAMC 3 Wednesday...

Anybody else feel like it's impossible to really feel "prepared"..? I have no idea what to do about bio I didn't do TBR cuz everyone says it's nuts .. ive just done EK.. I think I will do Kaplan section tests or whatev

Got a 12 on TBR phys 10 optics, 40/52.. lowest score so far for TBR.. Ppl say TBR is harder than the real deal so I hope that is true... I think they are pretty easy/straightforward just sometimes ask somewhat ridiculous questions that I don't feel bad at all about missing... Done with review/practice chapter tests... Got calc 3 exam in the morning (cram) then AAMC 3 Wednesday...

Anybody else feel like it's impossible to really feel "prepared"..? I have no idea what to do about bio I didn't do TBR cuz everyone says it's nuts .. ive just done EK.. I think I will do Kaplan section tests or whatev

I agree about the bio. TBR is way too detailed, but EK is way too sparse. I am planning on doing the Kaplan sections tests and some TPRH bio passages

Took my first FL today Kaplan 1. I got a 33. This is after finishing content review.

PS 13
VR 9
BS 11

Don't know how to feel about it because everyone says Kaplan scores are inflated, but I guess decent place to start, how's everyone else doing on there full lengths!

Took my first FL today Kaplan 1. I got a 33. This is after finishing content review.

PS 13
VR 9
BS 11

Don't know how to feel about it because everyone says Kaplan scores are inflated, but I guess decent place to start, how's everyone else doing on there full lengths!

I'm also taking the 8/22 MCAT. Let's do this!

Don't put too much stock in Kaplan's verbal. Otherwise, your other scores look nice. I'm taking my first FL next Monday. I'm starting to get anxious

PS 13
VR 9
BS 11

Nice scores! Hope I can do just as we'll on my first AAMC. If you are concerned about your Kaplan score, you should take a look at the percent of questions you got right. It is true that Kaplan's scores tend to be inflated since their curve is so generous. If you want to be conservative about your score, tally up your raw scores and convert them using AAMC raw score conversions.

I have AAMC 3-9 ... What are the "self assessments" people keep talking about?? I thought that's what these full length tests were... :confused:

The self assessments are basically old FL's (specifically 1, 2, and 6) condensed and separated by subject. Each self assessment takes 2-4 hours. There are 100+ questions each for physics, gen chem, orgo, bio, and verbal. Since they are actual AAMC questions, albeit a bit older, they are really good for practice.

I am thinking about pushing my test date back from 8/15 to 8/22... I can't decide! But I might be joining y'all :)

I am thinking about pushing my test date back from 8/15 to 8/22... I can't decide! But I might be joining y'all :)

If you don't mind me asking, what's your target score and what are you scoring on your FLs now?

That extra week may be all you need to get the score you want!

If you don't mind me asking, what's your target score and what are you scoring on your FLs now?

That extra week may be all you need to get the score you want!

I'm aiming for 35+. No idea where I am now -- I'm finishing up content review over the next few days, then I'll do SAs next week, then I'll do and review my 6 remaining AAMC FLs until test date. that is my plan anyway! I took AAMC 3 about 3 weeks ago and got a 30 (8, 12, 10), but I've done loads of content review and practice problems since then. So I have no idea!

I'm aiming for 35+. No idea where I am now -- I'm finishing up content review over the next few days, then I'll do SAs next week, then I'll do and review my 6 remaining AAMC FLs until test date. that is my plan anyway! I took AAMC 3 about 3 weeks ago and got a 30 (8, 12, 10), but I've done loads of content review and practice problems since then. So I have no idea!

Is that 8 in verbal? I'm sure if you can get that to a 10+, the science sections will follow suit and you've got yourself a nice 35+. Good job!

Sorry. I just assumed that since verbal tends to be the lowest. Awesome verbal score!

That puts you in a much better position since the sciences are much easier to improve than verbal.

No worries! I didn't mean for that to sound harsh. Thanks!! Verbal is my strong suit. I'm definitely hoping to bring the other two subjects to 12s also!

What about you?

Good luck!!!! When are you planning on taking the self assessments?

I took the self assessments already. I think I did meh on them.

81% bio, 81% physics, 86% orgo, and 90% gen chem.

Quite disappointed with bio because I thought that it was my strong suit, but I'm happy with physics because I thought I was gonna do much worse.

I took the self assessments already. I think I did meh on them.

81% bio, 81% physics, 86% orgo, and 90% gen chem.

Quite disappointed with bio because I thought that it was my strong suit, but I'm happy with physics because I thought I was gonna do much worse.

I don't think that's bad at all!!! Nice genchem score!!! What are you aiming for?

Also, how long did you take to do each SA and review it? Including rereading content on weak points and doing practice problems accordingly.