The Official August 22, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Person0715

Socially awkward
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! With just a little less than 2 months to go, I am wondering why this thread hasn't been made yet.

Is anyone else here signed up for the 8/22 MCAT?

I'm following the SN2ed schedule and I can't wait to be done with content review. I'm excited to finally take an AAMC to see if I've been studying correctly these last 2 months.

Members don't see this ad.

Aug 2012: 11/9/12/Q
June 2013: 12/9/11
Aug 22, 2013: 11/10/14

Pretty stoked, I'm from Canada so going from 9 to 10 in verbal is huge for cutoffs

As they always say, third time's the charm. Don't give up hope if you didn't do well!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got 12/3/10. I am like wtf right now. Average was 12/10/10. Lowest VR was a 7 in the beginning of studying. I am just baffled.

Hey everyone, I can't believe we are finally at the point where we can be done with all things MCAT. It feels good to finally know after all that waiting.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 38!! 14/11/13
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 33-37
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): SN2ed supplemented with Kaplan Online material and TPRH science workbook
AAMC Average (PS/V/BS): 35.85 (12.35/11/12.5)
Feelings/Comments/Tips: I cannot believe that I was able to best my average by 2.15 points. I feel like I am on cloud 9. I came out of the test feeling confident about my PS and BS sections, but I was really unsure about VR. I really thought I was gonna get a 9. I'm surprised that I scored what I did in PS because I have never scored a 14 in that sections in my practice FLs. I was hoping for a 14 in BS, but I guess you can't win them all. I am so relieved about my VR score. Lastly, I am so so glad to be done with this test!

Congrats to everyone that reached their target scores!

Last edited:
Long time lurker, Never actually posted in this thread since my FLs were so low, but nevertheless:
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 10/10/11(31)
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS):8/7/7(22)
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used):Berkeley review, Examkrackers Kaplan for content, AAMC and TPR for FL
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC avg 26 (10,11=27,29)
TPR avg 28
Kaplan FL 9- 29
Feelings/Comments/Tips: Extremely elated. Never broke 30 so this came as a surprise. I took some AAMCs early in my studies which may have brought down my avg. Soo happy im done with this beast. Kaplan Section tests are amazing!! Highly recommend you do them if possible

I am finally done!

AAMC Average: 34 (range: 33-37)
Predicted: 30 (10 BS, 11 VR, 9 PS)
Actual: 34 (11 BS, 11 VR, 12 PS)!

I really thought I bombed the mcat and felt really crappy afterward. Don't believe how you feel after the mcat. I almost voided my score. I am so happy to be done!

First test: 12/12/6 (verbal)

This one: 12/12/11

Never once did i get past 8 in verbal, got an 11 on the real thing. Oh mcat i will never understand you but i have finally conquered you.

To everyone who might be feeling bad about their score- don't give up. When i got my first score i was really pissed off at myself and upset. Spent 5 weeks studying my ass off, and it paid off. NEVER SURRENDER.

AAMC average: 38
AAMC modern average (excluding the two tests I took prior to studying): 39.5
Actual: 38 (12 PS, 13 VR, 13BS)
Happy to score within my range, if ever so slightly disappointed to get less than a 40.

AAMC average: ~37
Prediction: 34-40
Acual: 14 11 14
Comments: PS and BS where I thought I would be. So glad verbal turned out okay!!

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC average: ~37
Prediction: 34-40
Acual: 14 11 14: 39
Comments: PS and BS where I thought I would be. So glad verbal turned out okay!!

11PS,8VR,14BS for a 33.

I scored a 9VR on a previous MCAT, so i guess that gives me a 34 combined?

I really hope the 8 and 9 verbal scores don't bring me down too much...but 99th percentile in BS has gotta be good for something, right?

Other than Verbal, very very happy with a 33!
Congrats to everyone else

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 34 13/10/11
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 11/10/13
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): Berkley Review and all AAMCs plus 3 TBR FLs
AAMC and Other FL Averages: AAMC averages: 34.88 12/10ish/13ish
Feelings/Comments/Tips: surprised by PS score. I thought I bombed PS and aced BS.

scoring well on this test is extremely doable. it requires time and hard work. confidence is also immensely important.

i HIGHLY recommend TBR for the PS section. it's also great for orgo.

also, people often talk about being anxious and not being able to sleep and how that affects performance, etc. I slept MAYBE 45 minutes (even that is generous) before my test. and my test was at 1PM. your body and mind are much more capable than people give credit. don't let psychological factors like that freak you out. a night or poor rest will not negate months of preparation. docs work 36 hour shifts, peeps.

I got a 30 this May and got a 32 this time around.

VR, PS, BIO
10, 12, 10

I'm never taking the MCAT again, but I'm still disappointed with a 32. Call me crazy but when you fall below your AAMC average it just never feels "all that great".

On an optimistic note, I am glad that I took a gamble and retook the MCAT. Maybe these two points will be the difference between getting into medical school or not, who knows!?

To those who didn't receive the score they wanted or thought they deserved, keep trying!
On my first MCAT I got a 19 and my physics background pre-MCAT was non-existent.

Good luck to all. :thumbup:

Actual: 12/10/12 (34)
AAMC average: 13/10/14 (37)

I don't know why I got 3 points lower than my average and I got 2 points lower in the bio section. I thought I did good in Bio. But I'll take it. Especially, since I don't want to take it again lol :D

AAMC Average: 12 , 13, 13 (38)
Actual Score: 12, 14, 12 (38)
Prep Materials: TBR, EK, TPRH Verbal (SN2ed)

Feelings/Comments/Tips: I was personally pretty nervous about the exam, as I tend to let my nerves get to me during important things like this so I wasn't expecting to hit my practice test average. One recommendation I have is trying to get a smaller test center, maybe in a nearby suburb if you are in a large city. I tested in a rural area so it wasn't a huge issue for me, but I had people coming from a small metro area that said their testing experience was much more laid back at the smaller testing center than the one they did their previous exam at.

Good job everyone! Glad to finally have it done for good.

11PS,8VR,14BS for a 33.

I scored a 9VR on a previous MCAT, so i guess that gives me a 34 combined?

I really hope the 8 and 9 verbal scores don't bring me down too much...but 99th percentile in BS has gotta be good for something, right?

Other than Verbal, very very happy with a 33!
Congrats to everyone else

Same exact score in every section as you haha. Afternoon exam? I felt good about verbal... until today, and not the best about bio after the exam. I also thought I for sure got a 12 on PS. Very strange results for me. Hopefully California schools don't weigh VR too heavily and care about the BS section more. Any insight on this?

down for like 4 hours? SDN you ****ing troll

as I was trying to say...

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 11/13/14= 38!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 33-38. My optimistic prediction was a 38, and not gonna lie I had a strong feeling about it.
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): All AAMC full lengths, Kaplan online course
AAMC and Other FL Averages: ~35 (10/12/13).
Feelings/Comments/Tips: LET'S F***ING GOOOOOOOOOOO. THANK YOU, BASED GOD.
My goal was a 37. I got my full length superscore. omfg I'm so lucky. A lot of high scores here. Congrats, guys!

Last edited:
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 10/11/11
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 12/13/10
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): TPR, Gold Standard
AAMC and Other FL Averages:

AAMC (all): 32.25
Golden Standard (1-4): 30.25
TPR (All Cracking, TPR 1-5, Review Series 1 and 2): 24.4

Feelings/Comments/Tips: So this was definitely a "worth it" retake, since last summer I got a 24. I have no real reason to believe that I deserve a higher score based on my averages, but I really needed a 34+ to offset my GPA! Good job to everyone though!

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/7/11
AAMC Average (PS/V/BS): 10.5/9/10.5
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): EK and AAMCs

So I got my average but I was shooting for much higher and I'm unfortunately disappointed in myself. I am glad of my scores in PS and BS but very disappointed in my VR score. I was hoping for at least a 10 and I would have been very happy.

I think I will be retaking the exam because a 7 in VR will look very bad! :(

Hey guys,

Average: ~32, 10/12/10
Prediction: 31, 10/11/10
Actual: 33, 11/10/12!

I'm actually happy. Originally wanted a 35+, but for having not taken a year of bio or physics, I'm pleased. A little weirded out that VR was my lowest, but I am happy all the same!!! The wait is over and I'm done with the MCAT forever!!!!

Congrats to all! Some great scores out there.

Hey guys, this is actually my first post here on this forum, but I figured I'd post to help people out who are checking out scores/strategies.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/12/11 (35)
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 12/10/11 (33)
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): Kaplan, AAMC FLs
AAMC and Other FL Averages: ~33.5
Feelings/Comments/Tips: Honestly, I walked out of the testing center feeling ambivalent about it but was freaking out in the weeks afterwards. I honestly think everyone thinks they did pretty bad coming out because they over analyze the tough questions and ignore the ones that were easy. For anyone taking it in the upcoming months, believe what they say about not trusting your instincts AT ALL after the test, just submit your score and wait. While I was very consistent on my 7 or so practice tests (only 33 or 34 with one 31 thrown in, spread between Kaplan and AAMC tests), this is my highest score yet, and I really think that my school combined with Kaplan was a really great prep for it (it also helped that I did nothing much all summer but study). Good luck to anyone taking the test soon, and I really believe that confidence is key! Also, to anyone who took it and is either happy or not with your score, best of luck to you as well and I hope to see you in med school somewhere down the road!!!

fml VR killed my overall score

fmlfmlfmlfmlfmlfmlfml

worst feeling in the world to know youll have to retake just because of this one section.. and this one section is the hardest to improve

Hey guys, this is actually my first post here on this forum, but I figured I'd post to help people out who are checking out scores/strategies.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/12/11 (35)
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 12/10/11 (33)
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): Kaplan, AAMC FLs
AAMC and Other FL Averages: ~33.5
Feelings/Comments/Tips: Honestly, I walked out of the testing center feeling ambivalent about it but was freaking out in the weeks afterwards. I honestly think everyone thinks they did pretty bad coming out because they over analyze the tough questions and ignore the ones that were easy. For anyone taking it in the upcoming months, believe what they say about not trusting your instincts AT ALL after the test, just submit your score and wait. While I was very consistent on my 7 or so practice tests (only 33 or 34 with one 31 thrown in, spread between Kaplan and AAMC tests), this is my highest score yet, and I really think that my school combined with Kaplan was a really great prep for it (it also helped that I did nothing much all summer but study). Good luck to anyone taking the test soon, and I really believe that confidence is key! Also, to anyone who took it and is either happy or not with your score, best of luck to you as well and I hope to see you in med school somewhere down the road!!!

CONGRATS !! :) Are you going to post in the 30+ thread ?? I really would like to know your strategies specifically for VR, dat 12.... congrats again !!

Second time taker
First Attempt -- 27: 9/10/8
Was working a full time job and two part time jobs
Second attempt: 34: 11/12/11

Used the Kaplan books and Youtube videos to study :)

Second time taker
First Attempt -- 27: 9/10/8
Was working a full time job and two part time jobs
Second attempt: 34: 11/12/11

Used the Kaplan books and Youtube videos to study :)

:claps::banana::soexcited: CONGRATS :):)

Samething; are you going to be able to post on 30+ thread and share your tips/strategies specifically how you practiced for VR?

Archetypical "first post on SDN is my MCAT score" non-trad old guy here.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 9/10/9 (28)
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 7/11/7 (25)
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): TBR Classroom & all TBR books
AAMC Average (#s 9-11): 8/11/9 (28)
Feelings/Comments/Tips: PS - I hated that one chem passage. You know the one. I was disappointed by the lack of some supposedly "high yield" topics in chemistry but glad that certain other physics topics were not present. All told I was ambivalent about this section.
VR - Always my best subject. Though I completed all seven in time, there were more questions than I'm accustomed to receiving where I kept vacillating between two answer choices. I thought I did better than 10.
BS - Seemed to be more than 20% Orgo to me? And where were the high yield topics I heard stressed in the TPR class?

Like many, I left the test center comfortable enough to have decided to score the test, but as the weeks drew on, my doubt grew. I wouldn't have found it entirely unrealistic had my score turned out to be 25 or less, but I'm relieved that my score at least equaled my average.

Finally, my hats are off to the incredibly talented and sharp people in this thread. Such impressive scores!

fmlfmlfmlfmlfmlfmlfml

worst feeling in the world to know youll have to retake just because of this one section.. and this one section is the hardest to improve

Do not give up. I repeat, do not give up. I'm still in shock myself but i went from a 6 in VR to a 11 with 5 weeks of INTENSE verbal practice. I'll be writing a post in the 30+ thread to talk about what exactly i did to accomplish this for everyone else who had a horrible time with verbal.

Do not give up. I repeat, do not give up. I'm still in shock myself but i went from a 6 in VR to a 11 with 5 weeks of INTENSE verbal practice. I'll be writing a post in the 30+ thread to talk about what exactly i did to accomplish this for everyone else who had a horrible time with verbal.

Which thread is that?

Thanks Hemorrage !! We would realllly appreciate it !! Good job man you nailed it !!!!!! I look forward to reading your post !!!!

38. soooooo much better than I expected. thought the "skull passage" (you know what I mean) was going to kill me, but that was my best section. here's to md/phd apps <3

Same exact score in every section as you haha. Afternoon exam? I felt good about verbal... until today, and not the best about bio after the exam. I also thought I for sure got a 12 on PS. Very strange results for me. Hopefully California schools don't weigh VR too heavily and care about the BS section more. Any insight on this?

Haha, wow. Yes I was in the afternoon exam. Really happy with the science sections but that VR slightly dampened my excitement :/ I was averaging around ~10 for VR on my practice tests so something must have gone wrong on the real thing.

I really am curious though how much this might effect my chances, especially because I am applying this cycle. I hope the 14/99th percentile in bio outweighs the 8 in VR (Or maybe having scored a 9VR on my first MCAT may help).

But if anyone does have any insight on this, feel free to enlighten us 11/8/14ers from 8/22 haha.

Cheers :)

2nd time posting, however, I've lurked all summer :)

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 6/11/8; 25 (01/26/2013)
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 12/10/12; 34 (08/22/2013)
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 1 - 10/10/1 - 10
Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used): Berkley Review, EK 101 Verbal, TPRH Verbal Workbook and AAMC full-lengths.
AAMC and Other FL Averages: 9.4/11/10; 30 for AAMC 3 - 11.
Feelings/Comments/Tips::boom:, basically. This exam (8/22) definitely played to my strengths and combined with a highly modified sn2ed 3-month plan I was able to raise my score by 9 points. I get that a 34 isn't a highly coveted score by the SDN crowd, but I nearly cried when I saw my score this afternoon. I was pretty ambivalent about my score after the test and spent the past few days preparing for a 28, but I am utterly thankful for my score.

Don't let anything unnecessarily break your spirit while studying. I was freaking out about how I was going to do after dealing with some massive workplace issues during the last month and a half of studying, but keeping positive and efficiently using my time paid off in the end :)

fmlfmlfmlfmlfmlfmlfml

Hey man, I understand you. VR killed my score as well. But I think we can definitely make it and improve on VR or whatever your one section is by Jan for the retake! Even bring up our other scores as well haha.

Actual Score: PS/VR/BS - 12/9/13
AAMC Average PS - 37ish

I definitely expected to do a little worse then my average due to nerves, and me making stupid mistakes, I know I didn't do as well as I wanted too but I definitely did enough to keep me satisfied. Either way I have the required mcat score for my program, very happy to be done with this phase of my life. Congrats to all of you guys, it's been a pleasure talking with you guys through this journey, hope you all are happy.

Seen some really high scores on this thread, definitely makes me happy to see so many people doing so well.

Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 14/10/14
Predicted Score (PS/V/BS): 12-13/8-10/11-12

Prep Materials (Content/Practice Materials and FLs Used):
Sn2ed schedule and suplemented TPRH WB and Kaplan practice tests during last month instead of the last 3/3

AAMC and Other FL Averages: 33.4 for all aamc tests and 35.5 for aamc 10/11 avg

Feelings/Comments/Tips:
I felt pretty good about the sciences and felt awful about verbal. I honestly think i peaked and the right time and had a little bit of luck because my actual score was higher than all my other scores. Honestly I think it comes down to the type of day you have and what kind of test you get. With a little bit of luck anything can happen.

Wow, nothing like looking at all of these SDN user results to make you feel inadequate about your results. Anyway, here's my entire history of practice materials and scores from the entire summer of studying, in chronological order:

AAMC10: 28 (8/8/12)
TPR1: 24 (6/6/12)
TPR2: 26 (10/6/10)
TPR3: 27 (11/6/10)
AAMC5: 30 (12/7/11)
Like 10 EK101 Verbal Exams: 7, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10
AAMC5: 38 (13/10/15)
AAMC11: 35 (13/10/12)
MCAT: 35 (14/9/12)

Ugh why did 500+ flashcards of Bio + 550 page TPR textbook + 2x reading 200 page EK textbook + many many practice problems not help with bio? Oh I know, our bio test was like 60% Orgo and all the bio was extremely low yield content. Whatever, I'm over it. I'm actually pretty ecstatic about my score. I just wish I had made a 10 on Verbal to not have such a large disparity between my highest and lowest scores.

TLDR: I took the TPR Classroom course, supplemented where necessary, and raised my score 7 points.

Seriously! I feel the weeks I spent studying physio was pointless when I saw our "bio" section.

Seriously! I feel the weeks I spent studying physio was pointless when I saw our "bio" section.

Although I think studying with a notion of "high yield" vs "low yield" is important, it really screwed me over for this MCAT. At least having some knowledge of physiology will help us transition into med school? Cheers to us!

Although I think studying with a notion of "high yield" vs "low yield" is important, it really screwed me over for this MCAT. At least having some knowledge of physiology will help us transition into med school? Cheers to us!

That's interesting, because I would emphasize that studying with the understanding that material should NOT be conceptualized as "high-" or "low-yield" is important.