The Official August 28, 2013 MCAT Thread [8-28-13]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh7

Relax
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd create the thread for us :)

I'm on Day 17 of the Sn2ed study schedule. The schedule is tough and TBR can be pretty harsh but hopefully it pays off on August 28th :p

How are you guys studying?

Members don't see this ad.

My confusion is, Anion particle are negatively charged. Right? How the hell do they migrate cathode(+) to anode(-) in uniform electric field ??? Beats me....I guess....

I think you have you cathode anode reversed. I remember it by, cations move toward the cathode and anions move toward the anode. So positive particles move toward the cathode, it must be negative.

Hope this helps.

I think you have you cathode anode reversed. I remember it by, cations move toward the cathode and anions move toward the anode. So positive particles move toward the cathode, it must be negative.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Sill.

How are the AAMC practice tests coming along ???? I am getting disappointed. 8's so far. Am thinking of dropping out. Take it in January. I don't know, better to get this **** right and be done with, than wrong.......

Are we having the new MCAT format next year? Or is it 2015? **** scared....

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it me or are these august days quickly passing?? Also, how are you guys memorizing equations?

I put this up in my bathroom so every time I'm in there I force myself to look at and memorize my physics equations.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 86
Thanks Sill.

How are the AAMC practice tests coming along ???? I am getting disappointed. 8's so far. Am thinking of dropping out. Take it in January. I don't know, better to get this **** right and be done with, than wrong.......

Are we having the new MCAT format next year? Or is it 2015? **** scared....

---------------------------------------------------
- MCAT 2015 will NOT be the one you will get in Jan 2014.
- Do you have Berkeley Review? That is very helpful for Physics and Chem. For Bio, use TPR Science Workbook and for verbal use EK 101 passages. My score went from 8 to consistent 10s and 11s in verbal after EK 101, I really recommend this.

- You have PLENTY of time for practice (assuming your done with content). I wouldn't advise changing exam date, just do practice every day (pulling 5-6 hrs per day).

---------------------------------------------------
- MCAT 2015 will NOT be the one you will get in Jan 2014.
- Do you have Berkeley Review? That is very helpful for Physics and Chem. For Bio, use TPR Science Workbook and for verbal use EK 101 passages. My score went from 8 to consistent 10s and 11s in verbal after EK 101, I really recommend this.

- You have PLENTY of time for practice (assuming your done with content). I wouldn't advise changing exam date, just do practice every day (pulling 5-6 hrs per day).
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I am on the right track as far as material goes. I am doing much of what you have written, except TPRH. I don't have that at all. I am primarily focusing on TBR. Have Bio and Phy pretty much done and part 1 of Orgo and G-Chem. Doing EK101 for verbal. If I space it out over next 6 months, I will be more confident when I take this exam in Jan, so that's what I have decided to do. But I appreciate the advise and am thrilled to know that the new format will not be in 2014. Thanks!

Lots of traffic on this thread lol. Maybe a bump will get things going.

I'm a retaker doing a modified Sn2ed schedule. Definitely easier the second time around, however, still a challenge to put in the hours each day.

Tentatively signed up for this date. Retake for me.

5/30 re-taker here. This time I am going to $%#& it up. :mad: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

How did you guys study on the second time around? I'm re-taking also, took my first one May 18th, I knew leaving it that I didn't do well so I never really stopped studying, but I just basically just kept it somewhat fresh in my head. I just recently finished a full semester of summer classes and have been studying during them {they were really easy Psych classes.} My biggest problem was not doing enough section/subject tests or full lengths[5 or 6 not in test taking conditions] but for the most part if you asked me about a topic I knew it well, if you gave me a complex problem, I wouldn't know where to start.

Basically my Physical sciences from the first FL to the last one I think it deviated 1pt only 1 time from a 9. Bio I went from a 7 and hit up to 10. Verbal was all over the place, I scored 4/5 if it was a difficult humanities passage, or I could score up to a 9/10 if the passages were interesting. When I took the actual exam [which was 10x harder than my kaplan FL & AAMC's] and got my scores, I expected my PS to be the highest, then bio and then vr. I scored highest in BS [still below my total FL avg but still good] then Verbal [below avg.] and my PS I bombed so bad, it's the only reason I decided to retake. I found myself second guessing on formulas or changing questions.

My plan this time has been less content review, just using *********** to refresh my PS & Orgo., then skim over BIO & concentrate on molecular genetics which is the hardest portion of bio for me and VR just practice (obviously)

I used Kaplan's materials + course last time, this time I'm using only their subject tests & section tests. Using *********** for GChem/Orgo/Physics & EK for Bio. I'm going to start my first FL Wednesday & not do 1 FL every day like last time, I'm going to do 1 FL and correct it, practice problems similar to the ones I got wrong and the following day do a full Post-Phrase on it. I'm studying 6-10 hours a day right now, I actually enjoy it.

Sorry for the long post but what do you guys think!? Tips? Suggestions?

Man... AAMC FL 8 was a bummer for me. Idk what was up with me that day but it definitely gave me a good gut punch

Just took AAMC 5, scored a 33, 13PS 9VR 11BS

Verbal killed me, idk what happened. I usually score 10-11 with an 80% but I got a 70% today. It's such a crapshoot, sometimes I wonder why I even study for it...

Anyways, I'm pleased with my increase. AAMC 4 was a 29 a few weeks back. I hope everyone else's studying is going well. Going to go grab lunch now then come back for post game analysis later.

great score bro!

just took aamc 3. got a 28. kind of happy but still got work to do. breakdown was 9PS 9VR 10BS

How many AAMC's has everyone taken so far? I'm starting tomorrow with one of the earlier AAMCs.

How many AAMC's has everyone taken so far? I'm starting tomorrow with one of the earlier AAMCs.

I have done 3 AAMCs and 2 TPRs. They were all done while I was still doing my content review except for the last one I took (AAMC 5). In the future I highly recommend people save their FLs until they are finished with content review. I burned AAMC 10 when I started my content review because Princeton's class has it as their diagnostic.

Running through the AAMC self assessments now.

I've taken two so far, AAMC 4 a couple of weeks ago and AAMC 5 just this morning.

AAMC 4
PS:10
Verbal: 11
BS: 11
Total: 32

AAMC 5
PS: 11
Verbal: 13
BS: 11
Total: 35

I'm a little nervous about making sure I get through all the exams while still reviewing them adequately. I already decided I will most likely be skipping AAMC 3.

I'm happy with how I'm doing but to be honest I still feel sortof weak on some content. I've basically been getting through with superior reasoning, but I realize that's something I need to fix ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken AAMC 3-9. 7 and 9 I got a 30 but 8 was horrible. Also I agree with the earlier post about saving FL until content review is over. I took 3-5 when I was about halfway through through content, didn't do well and lost some confidence. Now I have TBR CBT and AAMC 10 and 11 left. Only two more weeks...

I decided to not go through with taking the AAMC's, I haven't fully finished reviewing content. Orgo & Bio especially! I'm practicing Kaplans Subject tests, going to take tomorrow off since I work and then hopefully Saturday take an AAMC.

How many are you guys planning on taking before the actual exam? I think i'll have 6-8 & finish all of kaplans topic exams and subject exams. I've never done the AAMC Self-Assesment, I'm debating on taking that after I do 2-3 AAMC's that way I can compare weaknesses.

I decided to not go through with taking the AAMC's, I haven't fully finished reviewing content. Orgo & Bio especially! I'm practicing Kaplans Subject tests, going to take tomorrow off since I work and then hopefully Saturday take an AAMC.

How many are you guys planning on taking before the actual exam? I think i'll have 6-8 & finish all of kaplans topic exams and subject exams. I've never done the AAMC Self-Assesment, I'm debating on taking that after I do 2-3 AAMC's that way I can compare weaknesses.

I'm doing everything I have at my disposal. I'd use anything you can get your hands on, but at the very least the newer AAMCs. Just ran through TPR 3 today, going to hit the "Cracking the MCAT" exams next with interspersed AAMCs in the next few days. AAMC 11 I'm planning to do next Wednesday.

We're almost there guys! Just a little longer.

did anyone's verbal drop on aamc4? my PS and BS stayed relatively the same but verbal dropped like 2 points.

sweet im not alone in this! is your application verified and all that?

Submitted July 17 so I'm still in line, should be verified within the next 2 weeks. As soon as my MCAT comes in I'm ready to rock and roll. I have secondaries pre-written for all my schools, and only applying to my top choices this cycle. Will apply more broadly next year from day 1 if I don't get in this year.

Retaker here as well. My TMDSAS has been processed at the end of June but MCAT score killed me so I am retaking on Aug 28th.

so are there not many people taking the test this day? is that why no one posts here? anyways, ive taken a bunch of practice tests and really feel burned out. any motivation would be much appreciated. hows everyone else holding up?

so are there not many people taking the test this day? is that why no one posts here? anyways, ive taken a bunch of practice tests and really feel burned out. any motivation would be much appreciated. hows everyone else holding up?

I'm taking a practice test every other day, try to do something enjoyable at night for a few hours. That's what keeps me going.

So far I've taken Gold Standards 1-5 and TBR CBT 2.
I have left to do: AAMC 9, TBR 1 & 3. I've already done other AAMC exams.

My ranges are as follows: PS: 10-11; VR: 9; BS: 11-12

Hey guys these are my current averages.
AAMC 4: 12-10-10= 32
Haven't taken 5/ Probably wont.
AAMC 7: 13-9-10= 32
AAMC 8: 10-8-10= 28 --> The whole test was practically chem/ I shine in physics lol. Didn't even get to finish verbal :/
AAMC 9: 12-9-12= 33

I have isolated the one problem that would stop me from getting the score I want (30< with nothing less than an 8), verbal!!!!
I just need to remember to completely understand the passage and read as fast as possible (no slacking), yet sometimes I forget and slow down (almost as if I forgot I was taking a test). Hoping that during the real exam motivation helps me do better and keep the speed I need.

Verbal is holding me back from double digits.... I am stuck at a 9 - have been for the past eternity!!!!

But the truth is once I get over 3-4 questions that are more reflective of inductive/deductive reasoning, I will jump into 10s/11s on verbal. I got one week to try and solidify my reasoning skills. So far, my hard work has only gotten me 9s.

I sincerely believe that VR is not so much a test of comprehension as it is about logic. Proficiency in induction and deduction will help you on many MANY questions.

Completely agree with you Texan. Verbal is all reasoning skills. I just read at the pace of a snail so it really hurts me. If I had infinite time with no looking back I could score a 10 or 11. I just need to learn to read faster -.- which probably isn't gonna happen by next week. lol. Wish I could wake up and be a faster reader. Id be so happy.

I feel the same as you guys above. English composition/verbal reasoning/reading comprehension has never been my strong suit throughout all standardized testing. Always scored low throughout my life (ACT, PCAT, even earlier tests). I fluctuate from 8-11 on a regular basis, who knows what I'll get on the real thing... I have no idea how verbal reasoning has to do with becoming a good doctor or scientist. Every science teacher or doctor I've met is horrible with english skills.

Completely agree with you Texan. Verbal is all reasoning skills. I just read at the pace of a snail so it really hurts me. If I had infinite time with no looking back I could score a 10 or 11. I just need to learn to read faster -.- which probably isn't gonna happen by next week. lol. Wish I could wake up and be a faster reader. Id be so happy.

This is the easiest thing to overcome. When analyzing your exams, look at the questions and then turn back to passage and ask yourself "what percentage of a particular paragraph did I need to answer this question" -- slowly you will begin to realize and notice the "fluff" in many of the humanities and social sciences passages. You are really looking for the bottom line or the thesis of each paragraph, and usually, its right at the beginning or at the end. It could also be non-existent, and in that case you need to look for main ideas of paragraphs that follow it or above it.

Also, some of the passages that have complicated relationships (science passage talking about food chains of marine mammals, or humanities passage concerned with history of a particular piece of art), on your paper, write down the chronological or the order of the information presented because some of the questions you will likely encounter will be reversal of relationships- and if you have those long, wordy paragraphs summarized on your paper in terms of relationships, you will speed through those questions and improve your time.

Hope this helps, all the best with your studies!

I feel the same as you guys above. English composition/verbal reasoning/reading comprehension has never been my strong suit throughout all standardized testing. Always scored low throughout my life (ACT, PCAT, even earlier tests). I fluctuate from 8-11 on a regular basis, who knows what I'll get on the real thing... I have no idea how verbal reasoning has to do with becoming a good doctor or scientist. Every science teacher or doctor I've met is horrible with english skills.

It is not so much English skills as it is about reasoning... And I fully understand why it is on the MCAT.

Throughout your career as a physician, you will encounter cases and you WILL have to make on the spot judgments and decisions that must be REASONABLE. How do you make reasonable decisions? (1) You learn the scientific method and how you can make generalized inductions from hard evidence. (2) You learn deductive process where you take something general, and reasonably apply it to a specific situation.

And I think verbal prepares you well for that part.

Again have to agree with Texan (stop making me do that, lol). For example one of the things that I have learned from practice is what is a reasonable assumption. I learned that through EK. Even though you know that assumption might be true, if its not in the passage do not use it. Also It helps to think about the questions as a spectrum/ not necessarily right or wrong. I have often encountered questions that seem to have two correct answers/ but one will be overwhelmingly more supported in the passage. You have to use reason to find the correct answer. Think of evidence/ what agrees with the passage.

Lol I'm glad you agree with me. I also did EK tests 1-7 (averaging 10.5). Are you done with your FLs? I want to move to 11-12 in PS (atm 10-11) and maybe 12-13 ish in Bio. I've been memorizing every crude fact there is and reviewing my weak areas (Genetics, Repro, Mitosis/Meiosis).

Nope still need 10 and 11. I am actually looking forward for these because I think the amount of facts that are needed are less. Its more reasoning. In fact when doing 9 today I didn't have to use many fact, pure reasoning. That's how I answer questions, reasoning lol.

Nope still need 10 and 11. I am actually looking forward for these because I think the amount of facts that are needed are less. Its more reasoning. In fact when doing 9 today I didn't have to use many fact, pure reasoning. That's how I answer questions, reasoning lol.

Yeah, I've been doing the same thing for the most part. I don't feel like my content knowledge is perfect but I'm still doing alright on PS/BS. My verbal + reasoning skills have been carrying me so far. Trying to spend this last week clearing up some content gaps.

How is everyone doing on timing? I've been fine on verbal and BS, but PS calculations take me way too long. I feel like that's the section that a lot of people are pretty quick on so I am wondering what I'm missing. I probably need to work on quick math/log/estimating skills...

First post; good luck to fellow 8/28 exam takers!

Yeah, I've been doing the same thing for the most part. I don't feel like my content knowledge is perfect but I'm still doing alright on PS/BS. My verbal + reasoning skills have been carrying me so far. Trying to spend this last week clearing up some content gaps.

How is everyone doing on timing? I've been fine on verbal and BS, but PS calculations take me way too long. I feel like that's the section that a lot of people are pretty quick on so I am wondering what I'm missing. I probably need to work on quick math/log/estimating skills...

Rounding has definitely helped me on PS, in some cases allowing me to get to the answer without even writing out the math. VR is my most difficult in terms of timing, I'm usually finishing with just a couple minutes to spare.

How is everyone spending this last week and half? I have 3 AAMC FL left to take and those will occupy some of my time, but I'm also trying to memorize the necessary physics formulas. Anything else I can focus on?

I'm currently fine in timing besides verbal. That's my only weakness for the most part. csj may I suggest you learn how to do some math tricks??? separate your numbers when multiplying (i.e. 320*3 = 300*3 + 20*3). Same applies for addition and subtraction. Use scientific notation!!! many questions don't need specific answers, so its really helpful to learn how multiply numbers in scientific notation (or find scientific notation number in exponent). Ohh and always round, never deal with complicated number, NEVER!!!. That's all I use, really helps with timing.

Not going to lie, after reading and working through the TBR books (except bio) three times, I am burned out. I studied 8-9 hours a day (actual time studying (I timed it, lol)) for 3 months. Now I do not study to much, I even took 4 days off, eek. I made a study guide so that this last week, especially these last four days, I can review as much material as possible. Ohh and I am rereading EK bio (FOR THE FOURTH TIME!!!:sleep:) lol

i read EK bio once lol :/ also didn't really study orgo... i really thought i was screwed since i just took my first ever full length less than a week ago. however, my practice scores so far indicate otherwise so im really glad i actually know the material or can reason through it. doing full lengths every day haha hopefully i dont burn out.

Woo! Just finished AAMC 7: 35 13PS 10VR 12BS

Looks like that TPR verbal that's been destroying me is paying off. One more week!

Hey guys, need advice on which practice test to take today. I essentially have a "free day" and I want to use it to take a random non-AAMC FL. I have the option of taking Cracking 1-3 or Review Series 1-2. I can only do one as the rest of the week I'm doing AAMCs. What do you guys think will be most beneficial out of the five I listed?

Hey guys, need advice on which practice test to take today. I essentially have a "free day" and I want to use it to take a random non-AAMC FL. I have the option of taking Cracking 1-3 or Review Series 1-2. I can only do one as the rest of the week I'm doing AAMCs. What do you guys think will be most beneficial out of the five I listed?

Many here said that Review Series will make you sweat from top to bottom. If you like that feeling and the killer challenge, then you can't top that.

Many here said that Review Series will make you sweat from top to bottom. If you like that feeling and the killer challenge, then you can't top that.

Thank you sir, I'll be hitting Review 1

EDIT: wow that sure was a confidence killer. Scored a 23 one week out from my test date. Very convoluted and complex questions.

Last edited:

I feel you on the being burned out thing! I have an older AAMC (the longer ones), my problem has been, actually figuring out formula or method is needed to be used for the PS section, I did the PS section of the 4R(un-timed) and it burned me out! lol I was going to do a FL instead but I think that it did help me a lot! Debating on doing the a timed VR for stamina/consistency!

I've noticed that close to 3/4 of my mistakes are towards the end of each section because I get tired. AAMC 3 I had more than 5 questions that I got wrong because I missed something in the passage, or added/subtracted wrong.

Doing AAMC self-test for Bio right now, I didn't do any content review for Bio since the beginning of summer, yet it's consistently my highest section. So I figured I'd just go through testing myself on bio as a means to test myself and read only the material I have difficulties in! PS in my main concern!

So I am also a retaker and I had no more AAMC tests going into the retake but still had a few Kaplan ones. I did the Kaplan ones and still have one left for tomorrow. Any ideas on what to do when you run out of practice tests? I don't have time to order TBR tests (I thought I would just get access to them right away the same day online but turns out its a extensively old-school process). Anyway, any ideas?

So I am also a retaker and I had no more AAMC tests going into the retake but still had a few Kaplan ones. I did the Kaplan ones and still have one left for tomorrow. Any ideas on what to do when you run out of practice tests? I don't have time to order TBR tests (I thought I would just get access to them right away the same day online but turns out its a extensively old-school process). Anyway, any ideas?

Have you done the AAMC assessments? It takes forever but I did one today and it was a cool diagnostic, mostly all passages too!

If you have access to Kaplan, do their Subject/Topic Tests.

I'm starting to get nervous now, I've been slacking on doing my FL's. So far I've only done AAMC3 & bombed verbal[6] but managed 10 in PS & 9 in Bio. I'm half way done w/ Post-Phrasing an Old AAMC R exam where I only did the PS section, scored a 9. Also did the Bio Self Assessment today & scored a 78%.

How would you guys rank AAMC 9/10/11. I heard 11 is the hardest, debating on saving that one. How was 9 for you guys? A week from today we'll all be sleepless lol