The Official August 28, 2013 MCAT Thread [8-28-13]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Josh7

Relax
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd create the thread for us :)

I'm on Day 17 of the Sn2ed study schedule. The schedule is tough and TBR can be pretty harsh but hopefully it pays off on August 28th :p

How are you guys studying?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting to get nervous now, I've been slacking on doing my FL's. So far I've only done AAMC3 & bombed verbal[6] but managed 10 in PS & 9 in Bio. I'm half way done w/ Post-Phrasing an Old AAMC R exam where I only did the PS section, scored a 9. Also did the Bio Self Assessment today & scored a 78%.

How would you guys rank AAMC 9/10/11. I heard 11 is the hardest, debating on saving that one. How was 9 for you guys? A week from today we'll all be sleepless lol

If you bombed #3 at VR6 and the test in one week away, you have some serious VR deficiency to deal with. I strongly recommend not to touch 11 yet unless you managed to score higher at VR using say 4,5, 7. AAMC 11 is gold. Don't waste it at this moment. All 9,10,11 are not really "hard" overall but have some very tricky passages spreading out and the scoring curve for 9 is very harsh.

If you've only done AAMC 3 - you need to be averaging one practice test a day between now and next Wednesday if you want to do em all (something that I don't suggest).

Why are you only starting to do FLs a week before the exam?

Also, AAMC 11 is not hardest - its just different. I actually liked the PS on 11 much better than any of the earlier ones. The bio is challenging. But even then, the curve makes up for it

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've only done AAMC 3 - you need to be averaging one practice test a day between now and next Wednesday if you want to do em all (something that I don't suggest).

Why are you only starting to do FLs a week before the exam?

I'm a re-taking. My last date was May-18th. For that exam I took about 7 (maybe 6?) my goal this time was not worrying about the number of FL's but to actually be able to recognize and implement a method each time I see a problem, especially PS. That's why I did the PS for 4R then did the self-assessment for Bio with only 1 break. Then I'm going to do all the passages for PS & Bio that Kaplan has and do AAMC 9/10/11 (already did 8)

Just finished AAMC 11, which completes all the AAMC CBTs I have available to me. I have AAMC 4R and AAMC 2R from my school library, which I'll likely be taking as practice problems for the remaining week while attacking my weak areas pretty vigorously.

What's everyone doing for the last week we have? Anyone just relaxing?

I'm doing AAMC 11 tomorrow and reviewing it. Then keeping same verbal schedule everyday and just flash cards over and over. Taking Tuesday off, then test.

Just finished AAMC 11, which completes all the AAMC CBTs I have available to me. I have AAMC 4R and AAMC 2R from my school library, which I'll likely be taking as practice problems for the remaining week while attacking my weak areas pretty vigorously.

I have 2 more AAMCs then just studying random things, flash cards, formula sheets, etc.

Two more AAMCs, reviewing formulas/orgo note cards. I'm going to try to take Tuesday off if I can.

I guess I'm "that guy" but I still have a lot I want to do. I will be doing AAMCs 8,9,10,11 with some flash cards in between exams.

My main issue at this point is solidifying my timing on PS and eliminating careless errors on BS and VR. Just took AAMC 7 yesterday so I am done with the earlier set of exams.

AAMC #: PS VR BS Total
AAMC 3: 10 12 10 32
AAMC 4: 10 11 11 32
AAMC 5: 11 13 11 35
AAMC 7: 10 12 12 34

I'm satisfied with where my scores are for the most, but I just want to make sure I don't end up running out of time on Aug 28 so I've been trying to improve my focus and speed. We'll see what happens though. Good luck everyone, one last week and then we're finally done!

I guess I'm "that guy" but I still have a lot I want to do. I will be doing AAMCs 8,9,10,11 with some flash cards in between exams.

My main issue at this point is solidifying my timing on PS and eliminating careless errors on BS and VR. Just took AAMC 7 yesterday so I am done with the earlier set of exams.

I'm satisfied with where my scores are for the most, but I just want to make sure I don't end up running out of time on Aug 28 so I've been trying to improve my focus and speed. We'll see what happens though. Good luck everyone, one last week and then we're finally done!

Its a lot, I'd just do AAMC 10 and 11 and then relax. Don't do too much.

I myself will be taking my last AAMC 9 to wrap things up this Saturday or Sunday- and then relaxing the next few days for a kick ass MCAT performance on Wednesday.

Hi guys. I'm also taking my MCAT on the 28th. I actually made a post on the 5th that I was considering postponing, but after taking 2 more FL AAMCs, I felt a little better.

Here are my scores:
PS VR BS ( )​
06/30/13 - AAMC 10 11 10 8 (29)
07/15/13 - TPR 1 9 9 10 (28)
07/28/13 - TPR 2 9 6 10 (25)
08/04/13 - TPR 3 8 9 10 (27)
08/08/13 - AAMC 11 11 10 11 (32)
08/18/13 - AAMC 3 12 12 10 (34)​

My only disclaimer to these tests is that I referred to notes to some degree since I was still doing content review. Even though for the two recent AAMCs I barely did (only for a physics formula or two in a section we hadn't gone over), I wish I didn't do this at all because I kind of defeated the purpose of the practice test in the first place. It was a confidence thing; I highly don't recommend it, and with the remaining practice tests I do I am obviously not going to do that again...

My content review with Princeton just ended today. I feel like I forgot half of the material, but refreshing over the next couple of days should give me enough to work with on the actual thing.

I still have 2 more TPR FLs and AAMCs 4,5, 7, 8, and 9 available from my course....I plan on doing 4 more FLs (one tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, and Monday) before Wednesday.

Any particular 4 that you guys recommend taking out of these? Target for the 28th is a 33+!

Best of luck to all of you!! We are in the final stretch; bring it home baby!!

Last edited:
AAMC 4: 12-10-10= 32
AAMC 7: 13-9-10= 32
AAMC 8: 10-8-10= 28
AAMC 9: 12-9-12= 33
Update:
AAMC 10: 10-9-9=28 --> Trying hard not to psych myself out. This MCAT felt completely different from anything I've seen. The verbal seemed the same, made a couple of stupid mistakes.But the science sections felt like I was guessing, Especially Bio (cant even explain it, waiting for tomorrow to try). Trying to stay confident.

AAMC 4: 10-9-10
AAMC 8: 12-7-10

*I found this verbal harder than #4. Although, I took the test pretty late at night and felt sleepy lol! I missed about 3 super easy questions on BS, should have gotten an 11. Oh well, AAMC# 5 coming up today or tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. I'm also taking my MCAT on the 28th. I actually made a post on the 5th that I was considering postponing, but after taking 2 more FL AAMCs, I felt a little better.

Here are my scores:
PS VR BS ( )​
06/30/13 - AAMC 10 11 10 8 (29)
07/15/13 - TPR 1 9 9 10 (28)
07/28/13 - TPR 2 9 6 10 (25)
08/04/13 - TPR 3 8 9 10 (27)
08/08/13 - AAMC 11 11 10 11 (32)
08/18/13 - AAMC 3 12 12 10 (34)​

My only disclaimer to these tests is that I referred to notes to some degree since I was still doing content review. Even though for the two recent AAMCs I barely did (only for a physics formula or two in a section we hadn't gone over), I wish I didn't do this at all because I kind of defeated the purpose of the practice test in the first place. It was a confidence thing; I highly don't recommend it, and with the remaining practice tests I do I am obviously not going to do that again...

My content review with Princeton just ended today. I feel like I forgot half of the material, but refreshing over the next couple of days should give me enough to work with on the actual thing.

I still have 2 more TPR FLs and AAMCs 4,5, 7, 8, and 9 available from my course....I plan on doing 4 more FLs (one tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, and Monday) before Wednesday.

Any particular 4 that you guys recommend taking out of these? Target for the 28th is a 33+!

Best of luck to all of you!! We are in the final stretch; bring it home baby!!

I would do AAMC 5, 7, 8, and 9. Probably the best usage of your time to take practice tests that are as similar as possible to the real thing.

To one of the earlier posts...I have been doing TBR cbt's. So far I'd say tests 6-9 are the best ones for PS and BS. I'm going to take AAMC 11 Sunday.

So I foolishly decided to take AAMC 8 yesterday after not being able to get any sleep whatsoever the night before. Part of my rationale for doing so was just to see what would happen if I couldn't get any sleep the night before the actual exam. I was also curious about what a worst case scenario would feel like.

I ended up doing alright overall, but bombed PS.
AAMC 8: 7 13 11 31

I couldn't focus AT ALL during PS and felt absolutely exhausted. When I went back to review today, I realized I got 5 questions wrong simply from clicking the wrong answer!

I felt like I was doing poorly the entire way through that section so during the break before VR I walked around and just tried to clear my head. I felt a lot better and recovered nicely for the rest of my exam.

So while it was foolish of me to take a practice exam on no sleep, I feel like I learned the importance of shrugging off a bad section and refocusing for the rest of the exam. If something does go wrong on test day I can look back on this.

Reviewing the rest of the day today before taking AAMC 9 tom, 10 sun, 11 mon, and resting tues. I know others are already deloading but cramming tendencies die slowly :D

Balls to the wall for a few days and then I'm done with this beast forever. If I do poorly then so be it, not planning on taking this ever again.

Reviewing the rest of the day today before taking AAMC 9 tom, 10 sun, 11 mon, and resting tues. I know others are already deloading but cramming tendencies die slowly :D

Balls to the wall for a few days and then I'm done with this beast forever. If I do poorly then so be it, not planning on taking this ever again.

Hehehe, thats how I feel too. Was originally going to take Sunday off too in addition to Tuesday, but I don't think that will happen. Reality of it is, I will never feel comfortable with this material no matter how much I study. Good thing that its possible to get through O-chem mechanisms with minimal understanding...otherwise I'd be sleepless til Wednesday :laugh:

Keep at it though, we are almost there!

yikes! did horrible on aamc8.. well i've been doing pretty bad on all them lol got a 8/7/10.

my BS has been pretty consistent, ranging from 10-11. PS has been ranging from a broad 8-12 lol (i know my physics really well). VR has been from 6-9. damn i'm all over the place.

Took AAMC 9 today and recovered nicely from my sleep deprived performance on AAMC 8.
I ended up with 11s across the board for a 33. The VR for this one seemed much more difficult then the earlier AAMCs and it took some adjusting. I am happy with the improvements I have made particularly with respect to timing on PS and BS. I'm no longer running up against the clock quite so much, finishing both with about 5 mins or so to spare. Now that my timing issues are improving I want to focus on fine tuning my approach to avoid careless mistakes. There were quite a few I noticed on PS so I need to be more precise in my approach. 2 more AAMCs to go and I am done! Taking 10 tom, 11 mon.

AAMC 9: 11 11 11 33

yikes! did horrible on aamc8.. well i've been doing pretty bad on all them lol got a 8/7/10.

my BS has been pretty consistent, ranging from 10-11. PS has been ranging from a broad 8-12 lol (i know my physics really well). VR has been from 6-9. damn i'm all over the place.

That's actually my same situation in terms of scores..except AAMC 8 was by best, odd.

i felt 8 was very chem heavy which is why i got a lower score. i knew i should'e used TBR instead of EK. oh well either way im going to retake it. at this point ill be happy with a 28. but i have to stay in the attack now mentality.

You're gonna get thru this!!!! Just don't panic or freak out.

If AAMC throws a curveball on Wednesday towards us, I'm planning to throw it back on them!

FInal score list:

Composite/PS/VR/BS
AAMC 5 33 13 9 11
AAMC 7 35 13 10 12
AAMC 8 33 12 10 11
AAMC 9 32 12 9 11
AAMC 11 31 11 8 12
Average 32.8 12.2 9.2 11.4

Kind of disappointing to go down on my last two but I'm hitting my weak areas the next few days and going to stay away from verbal because I think I burned myself out this past week, couldn't stay focused on the verbal sections and my scores suffered. Going to hit the real MCAT verbal feeling fresh. I hope we all kill it.

Last edited:
This is gonna be my first (and of course hopefully only) go at the MCAT.

AAMC 10: 10+10+9 = 29 (December 2012, first ever practice test)
AAMC 5: 10+9+9 = 28 (July 2013, all the rest follow in chronological order)
AAMC 7: 11+10+12 = 33
AAMC 3: 12+11+9 = 32
AAMC 4: 11+12+11 = 34
AAMC 8: 14+11+11 = 36 (last Saturday)
AAMC 9: 14+13+12 = 39 (last Wednesday)
AAMC 10: 12+11+11 = 34 (Today, retake of 10 since it was so long ago)

I'll be ecstatic with a 32 or higher on the real thing. I don't want to get my hopes up because of a few good practice exam scores when maybe all that happened was I got lucky and answered one more question correctly per section. This video pretty much sums up my attitude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0nyOyrprIs

Thinking I'll take AAMC 11 on Monday and then relax Tuesday.
I'm rooting for all of you, so give it the wallop it deserves, as they say in Texas, America's neighbor to the south.

FInal score list:

Composite/PS/VR/BS
AAMC 5 33 13 9 11
AAMC 7 35 13 10 12
AAMC 8 33 12 10 11
AAMC 9 32 12 9 11
AAMC 11 31 11 8 12
Average 32.8 12.2 9.2 11.4

Kind of disappointing to go down on my last two but I'm hitting my weak areas the next few days and going to stay away from verbal because I think I burned myself out this past week, couldn't stay focused on the verbal sections and my scores suffered. Going to hit the real MCAT verbal feeling fresh. I hope we all kill it.

Scores looks good man!! Just out of curiosity, why didn't you do AAMC 10?

Scores looks good man!! Just out of curiosity, why didn't you do AAMC 10?

AAMC 10 was my diagnostic for my Princeton class. I took two tests prior to finishing my content review (AAMC 10 and 4) and realized it was a bad idea because I was blindly guessing on full passages due to not having learned the material. I only took my averages from the tests after finishing content review. For reference scores from 10 and 4 were 26 and 29. Honestly, wish I hadn't used them so early but what are you gonna do?

You're gonna get thru this!!!! Just don't panic or freak out.

If AAMC throws a curveball on Wednesday towards us, I'm planning to throw it back on them!

haha yeah man! we got this.

AAMC 10 was my diagnostic for my Princeton class. I took two tests prior to finishing my content review (AAMC 10 and 4) and realized it was a bad idea because I was blindly guessing on full passages due to not having learned the material. I only took my averages from the tests after finishing content review. For reference scores from 10 and 4 were 26 and 29. Honestly, wish I hadn't used them so early but what are you gonna do?

i think you mentioned that this is your second time taking the mcat? do you feel that the tpr class helped you this time and how did you study differently?

haha yeah man! we got this.

i think you mentioned that this is your second time taking the mcat? do you feel that the tpr class helped you this time and how did you study differently?

This is my first time taking. I'm kind of a non trad. I'm in pharmacy school and had a change of heart, decided it wasn't for me and wanted to switch out. It's been so long since I took my pre-reqs so I figured I would need all the help I could get. Also I know from previous experiences I sucked at studying alone, when I studied for the PCAT I did poorly (like 60th percentile) and that test is much easier than the MCAT. Here's my take on Princeton: first, you will only get what you put in, keep that in mind. Second, their material is top notch. The online system kinda sucks but the actual material is great. There was even a time where the online resources went down for like 4 days. I did my own review prior to starting the class and used Berkeley and Kaplan stuff I got from friends. Berkeley was good but super in depth, I didn't really like kaplan, didn't suit someone like me who had major gaps in content knowledge. I liked TPR textbooks, I think they give you just the right amount of info, maybe even a little much but not as much as TBR. The class was great I got lucky and had two med students teaching bio/chem/orgo which helped a lot, they were very smart individuals. Our physics teacher was mediocre, he knew his stuff enough to get by the class but wouldn't really know how to apply the info outside of his comfort zone, which is understandable, he was just a guy out of college doing this as a summer job, wasn't taking the MCAT or anything. He served his purpose though of just reinforcing the material. Our verbal teacher was kind of dumb, and I didn't use their strategy of "mapping" the passage, just used the material with my own strategy. I liked their schedule as well, helped keep me on track and it's definitely a lot of work to keep you busy, I only supplemented verbal with EK101 and barely had time for that. Overall I did like the course, is it worth the $2100? For me yes, I know for most it won't be but I liked going into a physical classroom and having the sciences reinforced daily after reading the content on my own, just helped with memorization and understanding concepts. Sorry for the long post I tried to give as best a description as I could of the course.

Man i never saw this thread! I'm Taking it on wednesday too! I just finished aamc 11 yesterday...I thought i had definitely gotten a 20 on it by the time i was done. I can't believe i still managed to get a good score. I hope the real thing is similar to some of these exams. My scores so far:

TEST PS VR BS Total
AAMC 3 11 9 11 31
AAMC 4 10 9 11 30
AAMC 5 10 11 11 32
AAMC 7 11 14 12 37
AAMC 8 13 10 12 35
AAMC 9 11 10 12 33
AAMC 10 12 10 12 34
AAMC 11 11 10 13 34
Average 11.125 10.375 11.75 33.25

What's everyone doing for the last 2 days?

Last edited:
OH NO!!!!!!

leading up to today (sunday) my previous practice tests were 25 and 28... I got a 23 today!!!!!!!!!!!

and it was AAMC #10 which I'm told is one of the more realistic tests right?

frustrated isn't even the word..and I know motivation is important but I'm finding it difficult to stay on course. There's only a couple more days so should I just take it and see what happens? I don't want to postpone I really felt like I was ready I thought I could break a 30 today but I couldn't even break my first practice test score :( I'll spend tonight going over what I got right/wrong but what should I do the next couple of days to try to salvage the situation?

im usually more coherent than this but after a practice test and seeing the result.....you get it. HELP

OH NO!!!!!!

leading up to today (sunday) my previous practice tests were 25 and 28... I got a 23 today!!!!!!!!!!!

and it was AAMC #10 which I'm told is one of the more realistic tests right?

frustrated isn't even the word..and I know motivation is important but I'm finding it difficult to stay on course. There's only a couple more days so should I just take it and see what happens? I don't want to postpone I really felt like I was ready I thought I could break a 30 today but I couldn't even break my first practice test score :( I'll spend tonight going over what I got right/wrong but what should I do the next couple of days to try to salvage the situation?

im usually more coherent than this but after a practice test and seeing the result.....you get it. HELP
Dont panic, its too late to postpone anyway. Show up to the test with confidence and do the best you can. At the end of the test you have the opportunity to void it if you want. If i were you id buy the self assessment package and see what my shortcomings are and work on those. its greatly beneficial. Again be confident and do the best you can and everything will work out.:thumbup:

So i have finished taking all the AAMC practice tests and i have a pretty healthy average. I am a retaker, and have a 25 from the last attempt. I was stupid last time and took something right before my test. Having never taken the stuff it hit me extremely heart in the middle of the PS section and i had a complete panic attack.

Im really hoping i can put aside the anxiety this time and perform as well as i can. If i can score within 2 points of my practice test average i will be over the moon. Best of luck to everyone

Last edited:
So i have finished taking all the AAMC practice tests and i have a pretty healthy average. I am a retaker, and have a 25 from the last attempt. I was stupid last time and took a 10mg aderall pill right before my test. Having never taken the stuff it hit me extremely heart in the middle of the PS section and i had a complete panic attack.

Im really hoping i can put aside the anxiety this time and perform as well as i can. If i can score within 2 points of my practice test average i will be over the moon. Best of luck to everyone

Are you taking the adderall again?

thanks for the detailed reply! looks like it really worked for you because you have some great scores. i mainly need a solid schedule to keep my butt in line. im strongly considering that or sn2ed's schedule. but right now gotta focus on this test! im just going to do light review for the next few days. my scores have been dropping recently so i think its best

thanks for the detailed reply! looks like it really worked for you because you have some great scores. i mainly need a solid schedule to keep my butt in line. im strongly considering that or sn2ed's schedule. but right now gotta focus on this test! im just going to do light review for the next few days. my scores have been dropping recently so i think its best

I've seen a lot of people's scores drop towards the end, I think we're just burning ourselves out trying to get as many FLs in as possible in the final stretch. Don't even think about a retake now, gotta go into the exam with the right mentality. You can do it bro, worst case you get a bad score and you consider a retake in the future, but for now just focus on doing your best.

yeah you're right man. gota stay confident. i had the highest score on one of my practice tests after i had 2+ days of rest and went to the movies (right after i finished content review) so i think im going to do the same before the test date. i think i'm going to go watch 2 guns or something lol seems like a good movie.

Took AAMC 10 and got my highest PS score yet and tied my highest practice exam. Ended up with PS 12, VR 2, BS 11 for a 35 so I am satisfied with how I am doing. After the debacle of taking AAMC 8 on no sleep, I've recovered nicely these last two exams. The PS felt fairly easy on this one and my careless mistakes have been going down. Still want to review some topics I have trouble with (solubility, optics, kidney), but overall I feel ready for Wednesday. I will be taking my last exam, AAMC 11, tomorrow and then relaxing on tuesday. Good luck everyone, just a couple of more days :eek:

AAMC 03: 10 12 10 32
AAMC 04: 10 11 11 32
AAMC 05: 11 13 11 35
AAMC 07: 10 12 12 34
AAMC 08: 07 13 11 31
AAMC 09: 11 11 11 33
AAMC 10: 12 12 11 35

i think because classes have already started. the beginning of august i think had more

Best of luck everyone! Just been keeping myself busy and not using my brain too much the past 2 days. Will probably take part of an FL tomorrow to get back into "testing mode" and then take Tuesday off. I want to go into Wednesday completely fresh.

Does anyone know if there's a clear cut answer as to how many ATP are produced in cellular respiration? Is it 30/32 or 36/38? I can't find anything definitive online. I know the new scientific thinking is 30/32 but what will the MCAT test on? I'll be quite angry if they include something like this because it's so ambiguous.

I can remember getting asked a question on a practice exam about the number of glucose molecules needed to produce a protein X amino acids long. The correct answer assumed 30 ATP per glucose iirc. So it was (4X-1)/30 to get the number of glucose needed.

That also allowed for the simple-ish math that the MCAT mainly likes... at least, simpler than dividing by 32 or 36 or 38.

Does anyone know if there's a clear cut answer as to how many ATP are produced in cellular respiration? Is it 30/32 or 36/38? I can't find anything definitive online. I know the new scientific thinking is 30/32 but what will the MCAT test on? I'll be quite angry if they include something like this because it's so ambiguous.

I am sure if they do ask you this, it will be obvious or the answer will be in a passage. If it isn't, then it sounds like you know plenty about cellular respiration.

I am sure if they do ask you this, it will be obvious or the answer will be in a passage. If it isn't, then it sounds like you know plenty about cellular respiration.

I hope you're right, Im just afraid of getting a discrete that asks what is the total amount of ATP produced in eukaryotes and BOTH 30 and 36 will be included in the answer choices. If this happens I'm going to throw my computer screen and probably get banned from the MCAT for life.

I doubt they would ask something like that. However if they did I would go with 36, that is what's taught in most intro bio classes, which is what we're being tested on. I'd personally leave the biochem considerations out!