The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just signed up for August 7th but have only completed AAMC #3 and a few other FL through Kaplan, TPR and GS. With so little time left, do you think that I can complete all of the AAMC practice exams? Furthermore, would you suggest completing the self-assessment prior to taking another AAMC practice test? I'm trying to figure out how to schedule these last 2 weeks...

Do the official guide MCAT questions before AAMC 11. I was amazed at how similar it is to the real MCAT. It would definitely give you a feel for what to expect on AAMC 11, so you don't get too shocked by the difference.

Reactions: 1 users
Just took AAMC 6. Wow, that Bio was so tough!!! More OChem than I was comfortable with for sure. I ended up two points down from what I got on 4 & 5 (9 instead of 11) but was pleased to see myself one question from my goal of a 10 in PS. 9/12/9 was my total. Post gaming tomorrow won't be fun. I'm a little discouraged. :-(

Just took AAMC 6. Wow, that Bio was so tough!!! More OChem than I was comfortable with for sure. I ended up two points down from what I got on 4 & 5 (9 instead of 11) but was pleased to see myself one question from my goal of a 10 in PS. 9/12/9 was my total. Post gaming tomorrow won't be fun. I'm a little discouraged. :-(

Where'd you get your hands on 6? I couldn't find it...

Keep your head up! Your verbal is awesome! I'm having trouble getting above a 9 on verbal, any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where'd you get your hands on 6? I couldn't find it...

Keep your head up! Your verbal is awesome! I'm having trouble getting above a 9 on verbal, any advice?

Use EK 101 passages in Verbal. Some of their explanations are bull****, but they really teach you HOW to attack Verbal and what to look for. Don't expect to score high on their exams, but you can learn a lot from them.

Then why are you posting on an august 7 thread then? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really sure why this matters, but I was originally going to take it with these guys but I postponed.

Reactions: 4 users
Not really sure why this matters, but I was originally going to take it with these guys but I postponed.
I don't see what the deal is... you're welcome here. All the other August threads seem to be dead anyhow.

Stay motivated guys! You worked hard to get this far, don't give up now.

Guys I seriously have issues staying motivated and positive. I think I keep postponing because I'm too scared to take and do poorly

I
Guys I seriously have issues staying motivated and positive. I think I keep postponing because I'm too scared to take and do poorly
If we can offer any form of motivation or encouragement, please know you're welcome here! We started this together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for verbal? Do you guys skim the questions first or go straight to the passage?

Just took a Princeton Review Hyperlearning practice verbal section and got 35/40, which translates to an 11 or 12. So, I've made some improvement in verbal since I started practicing and here's my advice from what I've been learning:

• Stay focused while reading. While you're reading, be thinking about how each paragraph contributes to the author's argument and thesis (you're almost guaranteed a question per passage asking about the author's argument, thesis, etc.)
  • Take note of transition words like 'however,' 'but,' 'although', 'any'... use your highlight function (or underline with pen/pencil if on paper) sparingly and only do this for main points of paragraphs
  • Practice lots of passages and mimic test-taking conditions; try to finish passages and the subsequent questions in around 8 minutes. I made myself a little sheet marking the times that I should be finishing passages if counting down from one hour: 52 min, 44, 36, 28, 20, 12, 4. The last 4 minutes give me some buffer time in case I can review marked questions, check I've answered every Q, or in case I get stuck on the beast passage and spend too much time there. (I'm a slow reader and usually end up finishing a minute or 2 before time is up)
  • When practicing on pen & paper, cross out answer choices that appear wrong at first, and by process of elimination, choose the least wrong answer. It may not make perfect sense, but if something in the remaining answer choices make it seem wrong (too general, too extreme, not enough support in the passage, not relevant enough, etc), choose the best option and move on. Also, mark with a dot your second-best answer, if you do end up having to pick between a couple options. When you're reviewing, try and notice themes in why you're choosing the correct/incorrect answers and why your second-best answers are correct or incorrect.
  • So, I often find that I didn't read all of the correct answer and missed an important word. Thus, I coach myself to read answer choices carefully. :smack: I also make many mistakes by not looking back to the passage on questions I'm unsure of, which is REALLY important. Thus, I've coached myself to look back to the passage for support of an answer choice.
I hope this helps! Continue to practice and you'll gain a better understanding of what to expect on questions, the common pitfalls, and where you go wrong on questions.

Do the official guide MCAT questions before AAMC 11. I was amazed at how similar it is to the real MCAT. It would definitely give you a feel for what to expect on AAMC 11, so you don't get too shocked by the difference.

AAMC 11 was noticeably different, too bad I did crap on it. I had such a nice upward trend going too! However, I did get my best BS mark thus far so that was a light in all this o_O So I was all confident and whatnot going into it and now I'm second guessing my date (August 1st), any advice?

Last edited:

You do understand that the answers you receive will vary because one would naturally assume that you are taking the test on august 7...or you know **** it....welcome to the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Score update! Just took AAMC #9.

7/3/2014 AAMC 3: 10/10/7 - 27
7/9/2014 AAMC 4: 11/10/9 - 30
7/13/2014 AAMC 5: 10/11/9 - 30
7/16/2014 AAMC 7: 10/11/11 - 32
7/20/2014 AAMC 8: 11/10/9 - 30
7/23/2014 AAMC 9: 12/10/12 - 34

WOOO! Really feeling good about this one since AAMC 8 dropped a couple points. Felt really good about physics, zoned out multiple times during verbal and predicted a 7, and honestly have no clue how I pulled a 12 in bio, I thought that 11 on AAMC 7 was my biggest fluke.

This just made my day. I'm gonna go treat myself to a burrito or something.

Hope everyone else is having a lovely Wednesday.

Reactions: 8 users
...... I just looked at the breakdown by section..... I scored 100% on organic chemistry and haven't had a class on it. Talk about lucky.... I should definitely not expect a 12 on bio come game day =p Maybe I can hope for another point in verbal or PS to make up for it though :laugh:

Score update! Just took AAMC #9.

7/3/2014 AAMC 3: 10/10/7 - 27
7/9/2014 AAMC 4: 11/10/9 - 30
7/13/2014 AAMC 5: 10/11/9 - 30
7/16/2014 AAMC 7: 10/11/11 - 32
7/20/2014 AAMC 8: 11/10/9 - 30
7/23/2014 AAMC 9: 12/10/12 - 34

WOOO! Really feeling good about this one since AAMC 8 dropped a couple points. Felt really good about physics, zoned out multiple times during verbal and predicted a 7, and honestly have no clue how I pulled a 12 in bio, I thought that 11 on AAMC 7 was my biggest fluke.

This just made my day. I'm gonna go treat myself to a burrito or something.

Hope everyone else is having a lovely Wednesday.

That is so awesome! Congrats :D:D:D

That is so awesome! Congrats :D:D:D

Thank you! I'm quite excited. I'm also relieved to know that if I don't get the score that I am hoping for that I can always try again in January. I'm going to take my o-chem and a microbiology class this fall which I imagine should help some. As long as I don't fall apart on my PS and VR I should be in good shape to get the score I want then.

Cautious optimism is what is needed. Trying not to think too hard that this test is TWO WEEKS AWAY >.>

AAMC 11 was noticeably different, too bad I did crap on it. I had such a nice upward trend going too! However, I did get my best BS mark thus far so that was a light in all this o_O So I was all confident and whatnot going into it and now I'm second guessing my date (August 1st), any advice?

Sorry for the late reply.

I would suggest your try and do the official guide to the mcat, before your test date. It is not an actual exam, but has passages on them. I would suggest doing them as sections timed (Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Organic Chem etc.). I found it helpful. This may give you more of an understanding of where you are at in comparison to the real exam.

The surprising thing was that my percentages matched my self assessment percentages (kind of strange considering it has been 6 weeks since I did them). Hopefully I did improve, but my scores on the assessments were not so bad (except for physics and verbal, but I improved by 10% on verbal on the official guide).

Good news! My friend ended up getting a 32 on her mcat, but extended her Kaplan before this just in case, well, she's letting me use it so it doesn't go to waste. I hope this helps me focus!

Good news! My friend ended up getting a 32 on her mcat, but extended her Kaplan before this just in case, well, she's letting me use it so it doesn't go to waste. I hope this helps me focus!

Awesome! Rooting for you ciestar!

Stop right there. If you don't have confidence in your self then just cancel the the postponed date and go to pharmacy school. Sorry, just being honest. Medicine is about being a cocky ****ing bastard. Be a cocky bastard or go home :)

Definitely, definitely, definitely take advantage of kaplan's immense resources. They are helpful.

Stop right there. If you don't have confidence in your self then just cancel the the postponed date and go to pharmacy school. Sorry, just being honest. Medicine is about being a cocky ******* bastard. Be a cocky bastard or go home :)

That's wonderful advice....
I lack confidence so therefore I should go do something that will make me miserable for a lifetime? Seems like the best plan.

That's wonderful advice....
I lack confidence so therefore I should go do something that will make me miserable for a lifetime? Seems like the best plan.

I didn't mean to offend. I just think that this is just the tipping stone of our wonderful life of exams. You absolutely need to feel like you are the best or you will be eaten alive. This was advice from a med student who was probably a gunner but I digress. Either or, I have faith that you will kill your exam. You have it in you, just don't let BS of this exam get to you. This exam is all bells and whistles. Nothing that you can't do. You are your own obstacle in life.

I didn't mean to offend. I just think that this is just the tipping stone of our wonderful life of exams. You absolutely need to feel like you are the best or you will be eaten alive. This was advice from a med student who was probably a gunner but I digress. Either or, I have faith that you will kill your exam. You have it in you, just don't let BS of this exam get to you. This exam is all bells and whistles. Nothing that you can't do. You are your own obstacle in life.

And I have been everyday of my life. I've never once in my life been made to feel good enough. My parents aren't supportive at all and after hearing this for a lifetime, it kinda gets to you. So yeah, I have issues with my self confidence. I have my entire life but i haven't let that stop me once.

I was looking for positive encouragement, not complete derailment. Thanks for that.

And I have been everyday of my life. I've never once in my life been made to feel good enough. My parents aren't supportive at all and after hearing this for a lifetime, it kinda gets to you. So yeah, I have issues with my self confidence. I have my entire life but i haven't let that stop me once.

I was looking for positive encouragement, not complete derailment. Thanks for that.

Dude, you can't be so sensitive. I was trying to give you tough support. If anything that should've motivated you, but maybe its just me. Nevertheless, I apologize if that derailed your psyche. That wasn't my intention.

I'm rooting for all of you too!

BTW, don't let your parents get in your head. I had similar parents except they never really advanced in academia so I threw that in their face whenever they criticized me. Me doing medicine is getting back at all the people who said I couldn't. My own grade school teachers didn't have faith in me. I should've sent them a copy of my BS degree with a note on the back reminding them that they're still a teacher :)

This is too cool.

synani.gif
axonanim.gif

Reactions: 5 users
It's currently 2:25AM... I wonder how this insomnia will progress as the date gets closer...

BTW, don't let your parents get in your head. I had similar parents except they never really advanced in academia so I threw that in their face whenever they criticized me. Me doing medicine is getting back at all the people who said I couldn't. My own grade school teachers didn't have faith in me. I should've sent them a copy of my BS degree with a note on the back reminding them that they're still a teacher :)
Whoa, that they're still a teacher??? Is that somehow less important, less special, less professional? I'm a teacher, you know. It's damned hard, but what gets me through the school year is caring deeply about my kids and believing they can be successful... that they need a ciestar level shot in the arm of success and belief and that maybe, during that year, I could say or do something that would stick with them and shape them in a positive way. The reason I'm taking the MCAT and going to med school has nothing to do with having "failed" by becoming a teacher and everything to do with succeeding in the classroom and learning to believe in myself so much that this childhood dream started looking actually attainable when I'd been too afraid before.
Ciestar, I wish you every success and hope that you find the confidence to keep pushing. Futuredoc, be very careful. The Lake Woebegone Effect is very real. In med school, you will be among the best of the best of the best and you might just discover that a little humility is a good thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
In response to "still a teacher."

I've always loved this video. I owe a lot of my interest in science to my high school biology teacher. I went to a really conservative school and all of my teachers before her had watered down and "censored" science.
Teachers have the power to shape kids' futures. :)

My score went down 5 points from AAMC 7 to AAMC 8 (36 to 31). Pretty discouraged right now, especially since I'm going out of town this weekend and won't be able to study. Is this burnout or just a bad day?

Whoa, that they're still a teacher??? Is that somehow less important, less special, less professional? I'm a teacher, you know. It's damned hard, but what gets me through the school year is caring deeply about my kids and believing they can be successful... that they need a ciestar level shot in the arm of success and belief and that maybe, during that year, I could say or do something that would stick with them and shape them in a positive way. The reason I'm taking the MCAT and going to med school has nothing to do with having "failed" by becoming a teacher and everything to do with succeeding in the classroom and learning to believe in myself so much that this childhood dream started looking actually attainable when I'd been too afraid before.
Ciestar, I wish you every success and hope that you find the confidence to keep pushing. Futuredoc, be very careful. The Lake Woebegone Effect is very real. In med school, you will be among the best of the best of the best and you might just discover that a little humility is a good thing.

Claire, I really do think just by reading your posts that you're such a wonderful person :) thanks for that!

**** me...i took aamc 9 today 11/9/11...i think it was caused by lack of proper sleep and inadequate breakfast..
AAMC 3: 11/10/12
AAMC 7: 12/10/13
AAMC 8: 11/11/11
AAMC 9: 11/9/11

I also watched The Revolutionary Road the night before..I think that movie made me depressed lol

**** me...i took aamc 9 today 11/9/11...i think it was caused by lack of proper sleep and inadequate breakfast..

I also watched The Revolutionary Road the night before..I think that movie made me depressed lol

Ah you're alright man. These things happen. You've been getting consistently good scores, just keep working hard. Two weeks left, we got this.

Claire, I really do think just by reading your posts that you're such a wonderful person :) thanks for that!
Thank you! :) I'm not perfect, but i try to be good to the world and i care a lot about other people. My fiance, mastiff and Betta fish seem to like me. :playful:

Anyway, keep going and make the most of that Kaplan class, then just go take this thing!

@moop anything I should do to prepare for AAMC 10 and 11? I know that they are most similar to current exams but do people generally score lower on them than their previous exams? Or is it just a matter of what the individual's strengths are etc?

That movie is definitely depressing! All the more reason to try to make a difference, though. Btw, a 9 on on subsection still won't take you out of the running. Just think of it as your bad day score and take it as a comfort instead of a terror.

Thank you! :) I'm not perfect, but i try to be good to the world and i care a lot about other people. My fiance, mastiff and Betta fish seem to like me. :playful:

Anyway, keep going and make the most of that Kaplan class, then just go take this thing!

I'm doing my best! I'm questioning whether or not I want to do the entire course or not. Well, basically all the quizzes it has. I did a lot of biology stuff yesterday, recall it better than expected. Doing decently on it, actually. I plan on doing a fl today after my stupid headache goes away, then maybe some section tests. It sure can't hurt!

1000th post! You guys are all awesome and have been great for keeping me motivated, and I hope you guys have benefited similarly from this thread as I have.

Only a couple weeks of this grind left, don't run out of steam now!

:soexcited::clap::claps::highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
1000th post! You guys are all awesome and have been great for keeping me motivated, and I hope you guys have benefited similarly from this thread as I have.

Only a couple weeks of this grind left, don't run out of steam now!

:soexcited::clap::claps::highfive:
You guys have kept me sane, just knowing that I'm not the only one going through this! I am really looking forward to August 8th!

@moop anything I should do to prepare for AAMC 10 and 11? I know that they are most similar to current exams but do people generally score lower on them than their previous exams? Or is it just a matter of what the individual's strengths are etc?
Kaplan, Kaplan, Kaplan. 10 & 11 are really application- and passage-based. No more straight fact recall in the passages. Kaplan provides the best practice for those passages, as I've said to the point of nausea.

Kaplan, Kaplan, Kaplan. 10 & 11 are really application- and passage-based. No more straight fact recall in the passages. Kaplan provides the best practice for those passages, as I've said to the point of nausea.

Cool, I've been practicing some of the bio experimental passages from Kaplan sources, and I don't really feel that I need them as much for PS so I've been focusing that effort toward BS. I've got my fingers crossed, we will see!