The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick update! I have been pretty quiet because I've been a bit discouraged with my scores...but pleasantly surprised today with AAMC 9!

AAMC 3: 9/8/10 - 27
AAMC 4: 10/9/19 - 29
AAMC 8: 9/8/10 - 27
AAMC 9: 12/10/10 - 32 !!!

I've entirely neglected VR throughout my studies (mainly because I remember virtually nothing about the science material). But after AAMC 8 on Monday I decided to practice a bunch, review mistakes, change my thought process, etc. So thankful that it went up instead of down!

It's also nearly impossible for me to predict my scores. I thought I bombed PS just now, but somehow ended with a 12. Looking forward to reviewing it to see what the heck happened. No complaints here, though :)

Reactions: 1 users
Quick update! I have been pretty quiet because I've been a bit discouraged with my scores...but pleasantly surprised today with AAMC 9!

I've entirely neglected VR throughout my studies (mainly because I remember virtually nothing about the science material). But after AAMC 8 on Monday I decided to practice a bunch, review mistakes, change my thought process, etc. So thankful that it went up instead of down!

It's also nearly impossible for me to predict my scores. I thought I bombed PS just now, but somehow ended with a 12. Looking forward to reviewing it to see what the heck happened. No complaints here, though :)
can you let us know exactly how you changed your thought process for vr? do you have any tips?

That 19 is pretty impressive on AAMC 4 BS =p

Glad you're getting some good improvement though!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a little tired. I actually felt pretty alright after each section whereas normally I feel kind of unsure. Looking back, I guess my full focus wasn't on the task at hand.

Its really weird that when I feel like I just demolished the section I always do worse!

I'm very much hoping to hit the studying hardcore...
there are 16 Kaplan lessons that go over content (including verbal), and the course instructor said they could take around 6-7 hours to so the whole thing. Am I crazy for trying to knock one out a day?

there are 16 Kaplan lessons that go over content (including verbal), and the course instructor said they could take around 6-7 hours to so the whole thing. Am I crazy for trying to knock one out a day?
Content review isn't done in one day. It's done (almost) every day in the beginning of studying

Content review isn't done in one day. It's done (almost) every day in the beginning of studying

Realize I said one each day lol. What crazy person would do it all in a single day. I'm starting to think just restarting my content review might be the best course of action...I've already done a lot of it with TPR, so some sections will require skimming and some more practice, but not as much time.

Do you feel like you truly need to re-review every single piece of information required? I think it is best to focus on weak areas based on taken AAMC exams.

I have taken 4 FL AAMC, scoring a 25,29,30,32, in that order. But is it a good idea to take the last five practice AAMC exams six days before my mcat? Take one a day until the 2 days before? and just relaxing the day before

I'm not, but I'm curious what people think about it. Thoughts??
I'm using the kaplan book with its six practice tests, and EK practice where I'm averaging a 9-10 in both (not great, I know), whereas every BR verbal test I'm getting about a 6! :mad: I just hope EK is more reflective of the real deal. For what it's worth on the AAMC tests I'm averaging a 9...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I am not entirely sure if I should feel too nervous since all MCAT's are usually the same in general, but my friend just took their MCAT yesterday and said physical was something short of insanity. :sorry::sorry:

Ok so I am not entirely sure if I should feel too nervous since all MCAT's are usually the same in general, but my friend just took their MCAT yesterday and said physical was something short of insanity. :sorry::sorry:
Yikes! I hope ours doesn't look like that. BTW, since I gave you such a hard time on something you said, I definitely need to take the time to thank you publicly on your timing tips. I used your timing today on AAMC 8. I understand that one is harder and I scored an 8, when I usually score a 9, on PS, but the timing worked wonders. I was done with 3 minutes left and felt a LOT better about it. You rock!

Yikes! I hope ours doesn't look like that. BTW, since I gave you such a hard time on something you said, I definitely need to take the time to thank you publicly on your timing tips. I used your timing today on AAMC 8. I understand that one is harder and I scored an 8, when I usually score a 9, on PS, but the timing worked wonders. I was done with 3 minutes left and felt a LOT better about it. You rock!

No problem! Its a great strategy because it keeps you looking less at the time and more at the passage! Glad it worked out :)

Do you feel like you truly need to re-review every single piece of information required? I think it is best to focus on weak areas based on taken AAMC exams.

In general, no. I'm covering my bases in physics though. I'm basically just doing their section tests and topicals for the other stuff.

Guys... I have come to the realization that every physical passage goes like this:
1) OMG WHAT IS THIS *#@*$&^ :dead:
3) Okay wait, some of this looks familiar :eyebrow:
4) Oh yeah, this kinda makes sense :nod:
5) My answers actually seem okay o_O

The MCATs in the past while seem to have ridiculously hard PS sections... so I'm hoping the sooner I can come to peace with the above process the better I'll do on the actual thing LOL...

Reactions: 2 users
Guys... I have come to the realization that every physical passage goes like this:
1) OMG WHAT IS THIS *#@*$&^ :dead:
3) Okay wait, some of this looks familiar :eyebrow:
4) Oh yeah, this kinda makes sense :nod:
5) My answers actually seem okay o_O

The MCATs in the past while seem to have ridiculously hard PS sections... so I'm hoping the sooner I can come to peace with the above process the better I'll do on the actual thing LOL...

I hateeeeee physical! Why put us through this hell AAMC?!? :( I've wondered for the longest time who actually writes these passages? Like is there a person who sits on the computer all day and googles "abstract experiments involving tough figures and hard to read graphs" then copies them onto a document and makes insanely rudimentary questions with answer choices that could all potentially be correct...? I want to read a bio on the test writers!

I have such a strange take on PS.... I always feel like I just destroyed the section and that I'm god's gift to the world in terms of physics.... but it turns out I way overestimate myself on that section and score lower than I think....

On the other hand I always WAY underestimate myself on VR and BS and score better than I thought.

Maybe it's a mindset thing... not sure.

I have such a strange take on PS.... I always feel like I just destroyed the section and that I'm god's gift to the world in terms of physics.... but it turns out I way overestimate myself on that section and score lower than I think....

On the other hand I always WAY underestimate myself on VR and BS and score better than I thought.

Thats kind of weird. I have the same exact take on it. Always feel like I get smashed in bio and verbal but then I get screwed majorly in physical after thinking I demo'ed it :/

I am NEVER EVER confident on PS... and yet somehow I do the best in that section. Trying to predict what you got is literally the most useless waste of time, for me at least. I am always wrong.

[SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN AAMC 5]
Guys I am in the middle of reviewing AAMC 5 and I think I found an error in their explanation. It says on Item 122 that resistance is inversely proportional to length. Well thats not true... Resistance is directly related to length (R = (rho)L/A). I know you didn't really need this info to answer this question but AAMC put that statement in their as a matter of fact. It threw me off! Can someone maybe elaborate?

That "test" I took yesterday I did very well in PS, because I rocked gen chem. That does make me feel a little better.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys I am in the middle of reviewing AAMC 5 and I think I found an error in their explanation. It says on Item 122 that resistance is inversely proportional to length. Well thats not true... Resistance is directly related to length (R = (rho)L/A). I know you didn't really need this info to answer this question but AAMC put that statement in their as a matter of fact. It threw me off! Can someone maybe elaborate?

what was the exact question?

Yes, you are correct this is a typo. However, your reasoning is slightly off.

The resistance through a blood vessel (as opposed to a wire as you would see in physics) is given by Poiseuille's Law (NOT tested on the MCAT): 8nL/(pi*r^4). The difference lies in that this is a pipe, not a solid substance (but again, not tested). Thus, resistance is directly proportional to the length, as you said.

This is in line with the rest of the explanation, since we know that flow rate = pressure/resistance. If the resistance is greater and the flow rate must be the same (this is true for any closed circulatory system), then the pressure must be greater to compensate.

Very good catch though! I did not see this the first time through. Good luck :)

Last edited:
How does everyone deal with burn out? I'm taking two intensive biology courses this summer (both end next week) and practice tests on the side. I literally haven't had a chance to take a break all summer, and my brain has been throbbing non-stop, lol. Not entirely sure what I should do at this point, with the test quickly approaching.

How does everyone deal with burn out? I'm taking two intensive biology courses this summer (both end next week) and practice tests on the side. I literally haven't had a chance to take a break all summer, and my brain has been throbbing non-stop, lol. Not entirely sure what I should do at this point, with the test quickly approaching.

Take a day off now and two days off before mcat. Sleep a lot!!!! It will help you reason better on the test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should there be two separate threads for the 8am exam and the 2pm exam on August 7th? I can imagine the post-exam discussion is going to be a little confusing...!

Should there be two separate threads for the 8am exam and the 2pm exam on August 7th? I can imagine the post-exam discussion is going to be a little confusing...!

Didn't realize there were two time slots! No wonder this thread is so active.

I don't think it will be a huge deal post-exam. I would just advice the afternoon test-takers to avoid the thread before their exam so they don't get psyched out or anything.

Yes, you are correct this is a typo. However, your reasoning is slightly off.

The resistance through a blood vessel (as opposed to a wire as you would see in physics) is given by Poiseuille's Law (NOT tested on the MCAT): 8nL/(pi*r^4). The difference lies in that this is a pipe, not a solid substance (but again, not tested). Thus, resistance is directly proportional to the length, as you said.

This is in line with the rest of the explanation, since we know that flow rate = pressure/resistance. If the resistance is greater and the flow rate must be the same (this is true for any closed circulatory system), then the pressure must be greater to compensate.

Very good catch though! I did not see this the first time through. Good luck :)

Thank you! That clarifies it a lot! :)

Hey guys, I know this is unrelated to the MCAT and that this might seem a bit weird but can you take a second to sign this petition?
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...aq-who-are-part-modern-day-holocaust/S0cLfXZg
I have relatives in Iraq and they are being forced to leave their homes by the terrorist group ISIS. They are also being killed by the hundreds for not converting to Islam. Please sign this and send it to your friends!

Ya I didn't realize there was two slots for that day! I wonder if they're the same MCAT... :p

Take a day off now and two days off before mcat. Sleep a lot!!!! It will help you reason better on the test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Okay, I'm just gonna hibernate until the 7th :D! haha

Update on my AAMC FLs so far:
AAMC 3 - 30 (9/10/11)
AAMC 4 - 30 (10/10/10)
AAMC 5 - 32 (10/11/11)
AAMC 7 - 31 (8/11/12)

Not too happy about that drop in physical on the most recent one but seem to be consistent everywhere else. I'm planning on finishing up the AAMCs and taking self assessments in the time we've got left. What is everyone else doing in this last week and a half to get some last minute work in?

Update on my AAMC FLs so far:
AAMC 3 - 30 (9/10/11)
AAMC 4 - 30 (10/10/10)
AAMC 5 - 32 (10/11/11)
AAMC 7 - 31 (8/11/12)

Not too happy about that drop in physical on the most recent one but seem to be consistent everywhere else. I'm planning on finishing up the AAMCs and taking self assessments in the time we've got left. What is everyone else doing in this last week and a half to get some last minute work in?

Nice VR scores! Until the exam I think I'll just be reviewing my weak areas and taking AAMC #11! It's such a strange feeling, because I feel like I should be doing more... I just want this mf-ing thing over with.

Anyone else doing verbal reasoning like a mad man? Im getting the feeling like it's the most important score...or am I wrong?:rolleyes:

Yep!! Not sure how it is in the US, but at some Canadian schools they ONLY look at your VR score... :cryi:
Oh yeah I'm kinda banking on an acceptance to Mac for that reason :p but they also have that weird personality test on top of the MCAT. Everywhere is just so tough to get into! There aren't too many that will look at you for you instead of as an MCAT score + GPA. So frustrating. It's partly why I'm trying my luck at the US!

Yay! Just finished AAMC 7: 9/10/11. I'm a little disappointed by the verbal since I've been hitting 12, but I'll take it. 3rd consecutive 30+ score! Happy dance!

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else doing verbal reasoning like a mad man? Im getting the feeling like it's the most important score...or am I wrong?:rolleyes:
Nope, I'm hitting PS like a madman (madwoman?), but that's because I consistently hit 10+ on verbal and haven't yet gotten a 10 on PS. BS looks good, even with the 9 on 6.

Oh yeah I'm kinda banking on an acceptance to Mac for that reason :p but they also have that weird personality test on top of the MCAT. Everywhere is just so tough to get into! There aren't too many that will look at you for you instead of as an MCAT score + GPA. So frustrating. It's partly why I'm trying my luck at the US!

I'm trying Mac too! Totally freaked out for that personality test lol. :eek:

For all my Kaplan people, does anyone think that some the physical section tests are above and beyond? I just did section test 4 and got demolished