The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That is so weird! Us that the only school that does that? What's it like?
Yep! The only Canadian one anyway. I'm not really sure what it's like since I haven't taken it yet but I know it presents you with scenarios and you answer how you would react. It's kind of like when you apply for a job and you fill out a survey about yourself

Updating my score. Kind of nervous for the test on friday.
AAMC 3 = 7/10/12
AAMC 4 = 13/11/5
AAMC 5 = 11/9/10
AAMC 7 = 10/7/12
AAMC 8 = 12/10/11
AAMC 10 = 12/10/11
AAMC 10 is by far the easiest to me but the curve is harsh. I was one question away from each section to add another point :/

Anyone going to study or review the day before the test or even the morning before the 2pm test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol what? Notecards are for chumps :p it is proven that you memorize and recall better from information written on a long list.

Psh, you people have to memorize things? I just look at something once and it stays in my brain.... peasants.

Reactions: 7 users
Lol what? Notecards are for chumps :p it is proven that you memorize and recall better from information written on a long list.
Hmm, that's interesting since we are always taught in education classes how to get students to learn with foldables, notecards and other memory aids rather than try to memorize lists. I'd like to see your resources on that one.

Hmm, that's interesting since we are always taught in education classes how to get students to learn with foldables, notecards and other memory aids rather than try to memorize lists. I'd like to see your resources on that one.

Well I have no sources backing me but it makes sense that it would help to visualize a piece of paper easier that a flashcard because you would would be able to recall where the information is on the page while taking a test. I have made high A's in all of my college courses by following this technique, but I do realize that people's strategies and studying skills that work for them may differ. Chump.

Well I have no sources backing me but it makes sense that it would help to visualize a piece of paper easier that a flashcard because you would would be able to recall where the information is on the page while taking a test. I have made high A's in all of my college courses by following this technique, but I do realize that people's strategies and studying skills that work for them may differ. Chump.

Don't be a jerk drake... Emotional ass rapper :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
tumblr_m2338ts2wm1qc1vfso1_500_pyejg.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be a jerk drake... Emotional ass rapper :laugh:

I am not an emotional rapper, punk.

I am sooo sorry. I take that back. I love you. I am so sad now. I am going to go eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's and watch Sex and the city.

It has been"proven" by a sample size of one, yet I'm the chump because i asked for sources? I'm a teacher, yo. If you had information I didn't, I wanted to see it. :confused:

It has been"proven" by a sample size of one, yet I'm the chump because i asked for sources? I'm a teacher, yo. If you had information I didn't, I wanted to see it. :confused:

Chump. It's a fun word to say right? Lol sorry for a lack of evidence. Sorry teach.

registered for this exam today. took it on july 24th but the physical messed me up a little bit. I got 10 days to get smarter.

Man oh man! What was so hard about it?!?

it wasn't THAT bad, like there's a CHANCE I got a 10, but I should be able to get an 11-13 without much problem. there were just a TON of calculations and a passage that got me hung up. I would say at least 1/3 of all the questions were calculations. and I felt like the conceptual questions were trying to trick you at every corner.

registered for this exam today. took it on july 24th but the physical messed me up a little bit. I got 10 days to get smarter.

You're registered for another exam before you have even seen your scores for the first? That sounds unwise. What if you do poorly on the second exam?

Just took aamc 10.

14/10/11

I felt that this test was way too easy especially the ps. So far my average on the practice tests is a 33.4. I'm predicting a 31-32 on the real deal and I take aamc 11 Thursday. Chump.

Just took aamc 10.

14/10/11

I felt that this test was way too easy especially the ps. So far my average on the practice tests is a 33.4. I'm predicting a 31-32 on the real deal and I take aamc 11 Thursday. Chump.

Have u taken any GS exams? I was averaging around the same on AAMC's before I took it in May and now I'm retaking, so I want to compare with someone else using the Gold Standard exams. They have a free one online if you want to give it a go.

Score update! Just took AAMC #10.

7/3/2014 AAMC 3: 10/10/7 - 27
7/9/2014 AAMC 4: 11/10/9 - 30
7/13/2014 AAMC 5: 10/11/9 - 30
7/16/2014 AAMC 7: 10/11/11 - 32
7/20/2014 AAMC 8: 11/10/9 - 30
7/23/2014 AAMC 9: 12/10/12 - 34
7/28/2014 AAMC 10: 11/11/10 - 32

Felt pretty good about PS, the scale was a little stiff I think. I overestimated (as usual) and expected a 12.

I still think my verbal scores are just flukes and that I really don't know what I'm doing... but I guess there's something to say about consistency. I expected a 9 on this one.

Still not sure what to think about BS. Would be very happy with a 10 on the real thing, I think my educated guessing skills are pulling me along more than anything (especially for o-chem).

Overall would be pleased with this result, well balanced and above a 30. I think my ideal maximum score on the real thing would be a 12/11/10 - 33, so I'm hoping that AAMC #11 shows me something close to that.

Might try GS #1 this thursday for the extra practice in PS and BS, anyone have an opinion on that test in particular? I know that GS is supposed to be good practice for calc-heavy tests but I'm hoping #1 is up to snuff with their other tests.

Reactions: 1 users
Have u taken any GS exams? I was averaging around the same on AAMC's before I took it in May and now I'm retaking, so I want to compare with someone else using the Gold Standard exams. They have a free one online if you want to give it a go.

Nope and don't plan on taking them lol. I have only done 5 aamc fls and plan on doing one more and official guide passages before the real thing. I don't want to burn out..

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been MIA for the past couple weeks. I was just trying to keep to myself while testing.
I have decided to push back my test date. I am not hitting near my target score and can afford to reschedule, as I am not applying this cycle.

Best of luck to you all! And especially @Shipley231 @clairephillips @goft20 @futuredoc3289 who've been here since the beginning.

...oh yeah, and thanks @moop for all your helpful, crude advice!

Reactions: 3 users
Updating my scores. Taking the test on friday
AAMC 3 = 7/10/12
AAMC 4 = 13/11/5
AAMC 5 = 11/9/10
AAMC 7 = 10/7/12
AAMC 8 = 12/10/11
AAMC 10 = 12/10/11
AAMC 11 = 12/10/10
I felt like I was guessing on biology the whole time. Might score low on the actual test.

AAMC 10

10-11-11

I guess the key to verbal is really to just keep practicing? Super happy about the 11 in that section. My BS has fluctuated between an 11 and a 13 this entire time, hopefully on the real thing it stays that way. Perhaps if I was more sensitive and and memorized things off lists I would be stronger in PS. I'll start by memorizing a list of my ex's...

Updating my scores. Taking the test on friday
AAMC 3 = 7/10/12
AAMC 4 = 13/11/5
AAMC 5 = 11/9/10
AAMC 7 = 10/7/12
AAMC 8 = 12/10/11
AAMC 10 = 12/10/11
AAMC 11 = 12/10/10
I felt like I was guessing on biology the whole time. Might score low on the actual test.

You got this man. Have some faith in yourself

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been MIA for the past couple weeks. I was just trying to keep to myself while testing.
I have decided to push back my test date. I am not hitting near my target score and can afford to reschedule, as I am not applying this cycle.

Best of luck to you all! And especially @Shipley231 @clairephillips @goft20 @futuredoc3289 who've been here since the beginning.

Ah good luck man, what day are you shooting for now?

Ah good luck man, what day are you shooting for now?

September 4th. Maybe I'll be OP for that thread too lol!

I''ve been consistent with 10's and 11's in PS & BS ... and honestly, I don't see these scores going up but maybe 1 point.
However, verbal has been everywhere... ranging from a high of 11 to a low of 6, averaging 7. I will definitely be completing EK 101's timed tests and AAMC SA Verbal rigorously up until test date. And I know we've discussed enough about verbal strategies on this thread so I'm not going to go there. But how would you rank verbal resources? AMCC >>>>> EK > TPRH VW?
I will never again do a GS verbal. Those were awful. I know Kaplan is a no. TBR is a no. So what about that TPRH Verbal Workbook? There's loads of passages in there...

I''ve been consistent with 10's and 11's in PS & BS ... and honestly, I don't see these scores going up but maybe 1 point.
However, verbal has been everywhere... ranging from a high of 11 to a low of 6, averaging 7. I will definitely be completing EK 101's timed tests and AAMC SA Verbal rigorously up until test date. And I know we've discussed enough about verbal strategies on this thread so I'm not going to go there. But how would you rank verbal resources? AMCC >>>>> EK > TPRH VW?
I will never again do a GS verbal. Those were awful. I know Kaplan is a no. TBR is a no. So what about that TPRH Verbal Workbook? There's loads of passages in there...

I don't have anything but EK and the AAMC but i've found the EK verbal to be very helpful, I plan to be done the whole book by the time I write but some of them tend to be on the easy side so I did all of the AAMC verbal for practice. My backup date is September 10th! So I may join you on that September 4th thread...

EK 101 has more passages than TPRH, I believe. In all honestly I would rank EK and TPRH as equal. They test slightly different passage/question types but I believe that they both test things that are fair game. Have you done the AAMC SA verbal section? That should have quite a few passages in there.

Sigh....Kaplan full lengths make me sad :( I don't get it...I scored a 30 last week on AAMC 8 and just finished Kaplan FL 3 today and got a 25 :( I don't know whether I should finish Kaplan 4 and 5 or just focus on the remaining AAMCs and the self-assessment packages.

Hey guys!

Nooooooooo I'll miss your horse avatar. Imma go and write a song about you.

Sigh....Kaplan full lengths make me sad :( I don't get it...I scored a 30 last week on AAMC 8 and just finished Kaplan FL 3 today and got a 25 :( I don't know whether I should finish Kaplan 4 and 5 or just focus on the remaining AAMCs and the self-assessment packages.

I'd just focus on AAMC content if I were you. Kaplan is NOT representative of the real thing IMO and it'll just discourage you.

Should I take aamc 9 on wednesday? My test is on friday.
Tuesday is better IMO so you get a little break but if you can't do it tomorrow then do it early Wednesday and go over it a couple hours later. Use the rest of the day to lightly review topics you struggled with then DO NO MORE until you take the real thing.

EK 101 has more passages than TPRH, I believe. In all honestly I would rank EK and TPRH as equal. They test slightly different passage/question types but I believe that they both test things that are fair game. Have you done the AAMC SA verbal section? That should have quite a few passages in there.

I do have the AAMC SA Verbal... I've done about 11 out of the 22 passages on there. I can just pull 7 passages and put 60 min on the clock and make a mini test like that.

I seriously wish you the best Shipley! I'll be continuing to follow this thread up to and past test date to hear from y'all!

Tuesday is better IMO so you get a little break but if you can't do it tomorrow then do it early Wednesday and go over it a couple hours later. Use the rest of the day to lightly review topics you struggled with then DO NO MORE until you take the real thing.
Alrighty, I will take it tomorrow. Pretty much burnt out from taking all of these test.

Pretty bummed. I got a 29 on AAMC#9 11/9/9 but AAMC #10 the scoring was brutal. I scored a 26! 9/8/9 :(
I missed way too many easy questions on PS, have yet to review BS

You got this evooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Alrighty, I will take it tomorrow. Pretty much burnt out from taking all of these test.
My test is Friday too! I feel your pain, I'm taking more breaks because I'm starting to get burnt out. My plan is to do review on what I'm having trouble with tomorrow, i'm doing AAMC 11 for the second time on Wednesday (i've done all the AAMCs available and have run out of resources!) plus some more verbal reasoning practice for an hour or two. Definitely take it easy Thursday! I'm doing some verbal, taking a long break (do something relaxing:p) then I'm doing some equations and biology flash cards. I know that might sound like a lot to cram into the last few days but i'd really like to try and bump up my knowledge! Anyway, that's my two cents, good luck!

You pay shipping, I'll send mine to you. I really liked it. Another owner annotated mine and circled answers, and i highlighted a couple, but there's plenty you could still gain from it, it's free, and we are buds. I like the book, but just didn't need the verbal as much as other subject practice.

Hey guys, I had to hide myself for a loong time because I was depressed with my scores. After getting 24 AAMC 10 today, I have finally decided to void my exam come Aug 2nd and register for September date. Good luck with those hitting their target scores.