The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've read the 8am was miserably conceptual and the 2pm was miserably calculational. So I suppose it depends on where your strengths are.
I took the 2 pm and probably did fewer calculations than I did on most practice tests. I thought it was extremely conceptual.

I took the 2 pm and probably did fewer calculations than I did on most practice tests. I thought it was extremely conceptual.

I took the 2pm as well. I felt like it was calculational but now that I think about it, I don't really even remember what's on the test. Perhaps I'm blaming my timing issue on that :p I actually finished everything and had 10-12 minutes to do the last copper passage and I still had to guess on 3 because I ran out of time... The **** was that about?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about regarding that copper passage. I thought it was okay, and gen chem is usually my weakest area. I did spend like 5 minutes on that one "calculation" where all the answers are different combos of multiplying and dividing those numbers.

Very conceptual, not calculational. Formula memory would be helpful, maybe, but not gold for this test.

Guys, I just got back from my first day of a new shadowing position, and let me say... I CANNOT WAIT TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!! :banana::soexcited::claps: Don't you guys just love that feeling???

The only thing standing in my way now is this (&W*#&@ $(*@#&$( *@#&$* MCAT...

Last edited:
Guys, I just got back from my first day of a new shadowing position, and let me say... I CANNOT WAIT TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!! :banana::soexcited::claps: Don't you guys just love that feeling???

The only thing standing in my way now is this (&W*#&@ $(*@#&$( *@#&$* MCAT...
I feel you....I hope I get a decent score, so I won't have to take it again.

Reactions: 2 users
Eh I just think there aren't many 8amers in this thread. There were a few of us that thought PS at 8am was miserable (similar to 2pm). You guys just have a bigger voice ;P

8am Ps was a train of hurt that used my butt as a tunnel on it's way to hate town.

Reactions: 5 users
Just a hint for any future test takers.. I know this has been stressed countless times before, but the mcat is NOT a test you can get a good score on by knowing every bit of content beforehand. They purposely include new material and provide quite a few equations so that the focus is on weeding out those who can't think quickly and logically under pressure. I feel like even if I had studied another month, it wouldn't have made much, if any, difference. I thought I was aware of this going in, but it was even more of a "thinking" test than I was expecting.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like 2pm really had it rough, sorry guys. If it's any consolation though, the high difficulty seems to be pretty unanimous, so a positive curve is probably more likely .

8am on the other hand...I'm still uncertain how difficult or easy it was for most of the takers. Could anyone else offer their thoughts on the morning test?
I am sorry for the late response, I also took the 8am test and have been trying not to stress about it too much! Here are my thoughts:

PS - This has always been my weak area; last time I took it I earned a 6 on it. This time around, was no different. A lot of the concepts seemed biased, and it could be becuase I haven't formally taken physical sciences in a while (I finished undergrad in 2009; grad school in 2011). I feel like some questions were real easy and others were challenging. After the test, I was embarassed that I could not recall what a percholate was. Afterall, I took environmental biology at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Another challenging passage was the one on automobile suspensions (brain dead!). I think those equation based passages and everything else in PS completely fried my brain; hoping for an 8 on this section, but likely earned a 7.

VR - This has been my shining area of my prep if you will; however, these passages appeared longer than the practice tests and sessions I utilized to prep with. I completed all of the AAMC released tests and consistently scored between a 10-13; I earned the same on all of the Kaplan VR sections. With the 8am test, some of the questions did not have answers that were as easy to decipher as the previously released tests. The passage I struggled on the most (ironically since I was familiar with the piece) was the one about Satan and Adam. I literally had less than a minute left when I completed my final passage. Hoping for at least an 11 on this one but would settle for a 10.

BS - The two orgo passages were really challenging to me; orgo has always been Greek to me! I focused on the passages that I knew I could succeed in. I though the Ebola passage was very fair, as was the one on Cholera and Cystic Fibrosis. I also found the passage on Parkinson's relatively fair. The biology based passage that was challenging to me was the one about the tongue/taste buds. For some reason, that one really stumped me! As far as the free-standing questions go, I cannot believe I allowed the liver question and the endoderm question to stump me! I skimmed over the liver question (which of the following is NOT a function of the liver) and totally overlooked the absorbance of specific vitamins (fat vs. water soluble). UGH. I am really hoping I received at least a 9/10 in this area.

Overall, very fair, but very nit picky. I enjoyed the DNA and genetics questions on the BS but the orgo stumped me. We shall see. I'm hoping for a composite of 27+. If I need to retake it, I will take it at the end of the September. For now, my brain needs to rest!

Psychology portion - Yeah there is no way I am taking the 2015 test. I feel sorry for those who need to take it. Very specific about psychology theories. Structural functionalist, Cognitive-behavioral, etc. And you must be conscious of social trends. I thought the question about the prison population being normally distributed was a little inappropriate. Overall, I would take an MCAT every month to avoid taking this revisted test. Seems very subjective.

This forum is so depressing, I'm so sorry to hear you guys got really tough MCAT exams. Taking the exam September 6, 2014 and have been so nervous after reading all of this the past two nights :(
You will do fine. Don't panic is the main point. You can study all you want but you will never know what topics they will decide to throw on there! Since the national average on the MCAT is ~25, most people answer a little more than half of the questions correctly. Don't be too hard on yourself! :)

You will do fine. Don't panic is the main point. You can study all you want but you will never know what topics they will decide to throw on there! Since the national average on the MCAT is ~25, most people answer a little more than half of the questions correctly. Don't be too hard on yourself! :)

the 25 as a national average is a good point to remember. sometimes people sort of forget that- with the loads of 30+ people on here.... there are an equal number of people out there somewhere with 24-.

Just realized that I'm going to be in the wet lab from 2-6 MST on the day our results come out. That is going to be the worst lab ever.

Just realized that I'm going to be in the wet lab from 2-6 MST on the day our results come out. That is going to be the worst lab ever.
Step out around 4 and "go to the restroom." Then your 39 will be revealed to you! Although, you might want to avoid jumping up and down and screaming in lab.

I'm in the same situation. I have class from 11-5 then I teach a bio workshop from 5-6. If the wait begins to kill me I'll try to check before workshop and I may just have to teach through my tears

I agree with you guys - I'm on the fence between showing an educational movie that day so I can check out emotionally and doing a really involved and exciting lab that will take my attention and focus away from the agony of the wait that day. The kids go home at 3:00 Central time so it's possible that the scores won't even be out by the time the school day is over. What would you guys do? (I know, you aren't all teachers, but still - if you had the choice to be very very active or not have to do anything, which way would you go?)

I agree with you guys - I'm on the fence between showing an educational movie that day so I can check out emotionally and doing a really involved and exciting lab that will take my attention and focus away from the agony of the wait that day. The kids go home at 3:00 Central time so it's possible that the scores won't even be out by the time the school day is over. What would you guys do? (I know, you aren't all teachers, but still - if you had the choice to be very very active or not have to do anything, which way would you go?)
Oooh, or a really tough exam to spread the misery? LOL. (PS I love my kids and am not a sadist!)

Has anyone been actively reviewing in case of a retake? I tried initially, but I felt so burnt out that I had to take some time off.

Yeah I think I agree with @nvas. I don't think you'll be able to distract yourself while the kids are watching a movie! But I'm not a teacher, so I'm not sure! I did sure love those movie days as a kid though... :happy:

9/9 around 3-3:15pm EST.

The date is listed on AAMC's website, and the time is based off of just about every other score release from past dates.
Oh shoot. That kinda got me anxious. I'd prefer to just open my emails one random day and see it.

9/9 around 3-3:15pm EST.

The date is listed on AAMC's website, and the time is based off of just about every other score release from past dates.
Where exactly did you find this? The only date I found was 9/16 but that wasn't on the AAMC website. I'll be so happy if I get my score a week earlier than I was expecting. At least I hope so.

I just saw a Facebook status from annoying classmate who just took the test today. You know those people for whom every time they do something worthwhile, they just have to let the world know and make a big ****ing announcement? Ugh I can't stand those people. Pardon my rant.

I just saw a Facebook status from annoying classmate who just took the test today. You know those people for whom every time they do something worthwhile, they just have to let the world know and make a big ******* announcement? Ugh I can't stand those people. Pardon my rant.

Yeah I have a couple of those on my feed, mainly from pre-nursing majors. It is funny because every time they get on the dean's list, they put up a status for it EVERY SEMESTER bragging about their 3.9+'s...and honestly, the classes they took are a joke. I was a pre-nursing major and took the same classes before switching to Biology. But when they started nursing school, I no longer see those statuses. You know what that means...

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I have a couple of those on my feed, mainly from pre-nursing majors. It is funny because every time they get on the dean's list, they put up a status for it EVERY SEMESTER bragging about their 3.9+'s...and honestly, the classes they took are a joke. I was a pre-nursing major and took the same classes before switching to Biology. But when they started nursing school, I no longer see those statuses. You know what that means...
I have to really force myself not to roll my eyes when I hear the nursing students at my school. They are CONSTANTLY patting themselves on the back for their oh so tough classes. *rolls eyes*

I have to really force myself not to roll my eyes when I hear the nursing students at my school. They are CONSTANTLY patting themselves on the back for their oh so tough classes. *rolls eyes*

Don't get me wrong, nurses do amazing work!! But if I had a nickel for every time a nursing student told me how hard nursing school is, I could pay for all 4 years of med school tuition.

fa8357a9b42abf228490ab2db9ee6390.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk