The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
I am taking my exam on the 27th and was wondering if any of you did TBR and if the difficulty of the August 7th exam was anything like the TBR passages that are offered at the end of each section. Thank You.
I took em, IMO, they were worth doing. As far as resemblance goes, the test I took was a little more definitional and less conceptual. It doesn't sounds like most of this summer's MCAT's followed a particular trend though...

Just do them, they'll help.

EDIT: I thought you were asking about the TBR CBTs.. The MCAT was nothing like the end of section TBR questions. Those are way more subtopic oriented and are based off of the pages of reading prior to them.

2nd EDIT: Just realized its the 28th. FML.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I seriously have the worst luck. I was suppose to test on this day, but on my way to the pro-metric site, someone hit the back of my car and by the time everything got situated, I just missed the 30 minute advance check in window. I was way too flustered to even go through with my exam anyways, so probably best that I did miss it, but it sucks though because the beast I took today was just ...I don't even know how to explain it. Feeling kinda down, especially about verbal. Anyways, hoping y'all kick butt. Scores just around the corner for you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously have the worst luck. I was suppose to test on this day, but on my way to the pro-metric site, someone hit the back of my car and by the time everything got situated, I just missed the 30 minute advance check in window. I was way too flustered to even go through with my exam anyways, so probably best that I did miss it, but it sucks though because the beast I took today was just ...I don't even know how to explain it. Feeling kinda down, especially about verbal. Anyways, hoping y'all kick butt. Scores just around the corner for you guys.
I am so sorry that happened! But I am sure you did the right thing by missing the test b/c going in late and flustered is not going to do you any good. Like someone here told me when I was feeling down, a hard test means that there is an easier curve.
Plus, people here say you can't really trust your post test feelings. You answered a lot of my questions this summer on the MCAT Q&A so I'm sure you probably did great!!!

Reactions: 3 users

I am sorry that happened to you on your original test date. On the bright side, most of us didn't much fun with the test, and it bought you a little more time to prep. Unfortunately you will have to wait longer for your scores. I am sure you did fine but that's coming from another anxious test taker! I wish there was a way to ensure we all earned amazing scores because some of you seem like really cool people who would make excellent physicians. Good luck and take care! *13 more days*

Also, my coworker saw fit to inform me on Tuesday that her daughter's college roommate earned a 35 on her test, increasing the nagging pressure I already feel. What is for us will be for us, we can't allow external factors to hinder us or set us on edge! :)

Seriously why does it take so long. I'd rather take ten MCATs than wait 33 days for a score that should be generated almost instantly. I can't get my mind off of it for the life of me! :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's to make people sign up to take another mcat to maximize profit for the "non-profit" organization
Cheap shots like this really irk me. Being a non-profit doesn't mean a company can't make any profit. Any organization needs to maintain finances and come up with a profit to stay sustainable, whether legally designated a 501(c)(3) or not. No margin, no mission. (The cascade of failing religious/public hospitals in recent years is enough evidence of this most basic business concept.) Having such a designation simply means that any remaining profit (after subtracting out operating costs) cannot be distributed to shareholders and must remain with the organization for future operations, and no lobbying/campaigning may be financed by that money. The commitment of the organization to be involved in "education" or the purpose of the "advancement of education or science" will allow qualification for tax-exempt status under the 501(c)(3) guidelines. Some of the richest corporations are 501(c)(3) and pay minimal taxes (universities, for example). Say what you want about the AAMC and its predatory policies on premeds and medical students, but at the end of the day, it provides a service to the medical educational community at large, and thus is a non-profit. They are allowed to make money; we can take it or leave it. I'd rather take it.

Cheap shots like this really irk me. Being a non-profit doesn't mean a company can't make any profit. Any organization needs to maintain finances and come up with a profit to stay sustainable, whether legally designated a 501(c)(3) or not. No margin, no mission. (The cascade of failing religious/public hospitals in recent years is enough evidence of this most basic business concept.) Having such a designation simply means that any remaining profit (after subtracting out operating costs) cannot be distributed to shareholders and must remain with the organization for future operations, and no lobbying/campaigning may be financed by that money. The commitment of the organization to be involved in "education" or the purpose of the "advancement of education or science" will allow qualification for tax-exempt status under the 501(c)(3) guidelines. Some of the richest corporations are 501(c)(3) and pay minimal taxes (universities, for example). Say what you want about the AAMC and its predatory policies on premeds and medical students, but at the end of the day, it provides a service to the medical educational community at large, and thus is a non-profit. They are allowed to make money; we can take it or leave it. I'd rather take it.

I'd rather have my scores sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Seriously why does it take so long. I'd rather take ten MCATs than wait 33 days for a score that should be generated almost instantly. I can't get my mind off of it for the life of me! :bang:

I totally felt the same way. At this point I look at it like there's nothing I can do at all relative to the test...it's done already. I've just been reading about medicine and working at the hospital. Some days are better than others...but the best thing for me to do is stay distracted. Hope this helps, hang in there...that brick wall looks painful ^^^^

14p3kp.jpg

The majority of the waiting period.

Reactions: 10 users

I am so terribly sorry you have been irked!!! :O

The fact that people wait 30-35 days for scores is ludicrous. The scores from the DAT and GMAT are released at the completion of the exam. There used to be a written section of this test that needed to be manually graded, which provided some justification for the long wait. Now, since this multiple choice exam already has a predetermined curve the scores should be known instantly. Forcing students to wait this extended amount of time before obtaining their scores is completely unnecessary. If scores were known at the completion of the test then students could decide whether the exam needed to be taken again or if they should or should not submit applications to certain schools; saving themselves unnecessary application fees, stress and frustration. You can educate me on legal concepts as much as you'd like but this doesn't change the fact that test scores should be released much, much earlier. Think about the students who go to university or work full time during the year and spend their entire summer studying months for this exam. Don't you think that they deserve to know their scores quickly so that they wouldn't have to continue studying while in a state of purgatory waiting for their scores? Ya.

Reactions: 10 users
Luckily I do have one (small) huge distraction-- the little man in my avi. Oh, and school AND Madden 15. Still thinking about my freaking score.

I am so terribly sorry you have been irked!!! :O

The fact that people wait 30-35 days for scores is ludicrous. The scores from the DAT and GMAT are released at the completion of the exam. There used to be a written section of this test that needed to be manually graded, which provided some justification for the long wait. Now, since this multiple choice exam already has a predetermined curve the scores should be known instantly. Forcing students to wait this extended amount of time before obtaining their scores is completely unnecessary. If scores were known at the completion of the test then students could decide whether the exam needed to be taken again or if they should or should not submit applications to certain schools; saving themselves unnecessary application fees, stress and frustration. You can educate me on legal concepts as much as you'd like but this doesn't change the fact that test scores should be released much, much earlier. Think about the students who go to university or work full time during the year and spend their entire summer studying months for this exam. Don't you think that they deserve to know their scores quickly so that they wouldn't have to continue studying while in a state of purgatory waiting for their scores? Ya.
You misread, misinterpreted, and misunderstood me; this is a good example of why the MCAT still tests premeds on VR. Did I actually say anything contrary to what you outlined? Actually, I agree with you wholeheartedly, and vehemently so. The AAMC is not our friend when it comes to the month-long wait for scoring. However, they have the power to do so (and we implicitly acknowledge the legitimacy of that power when we sit silent and only complain about it on anonymous forums instead of taking steps to demand explanations or even push for change), and doing so maximizes their profitability. As I pointed out, none of this is out of line with their "non-profit" status you were poking fun that. I just wanted to address that.

Good luck with the wait. Stop bitching about it and it'll be more bearable. Take the advice or leave it as you wish.

You misread, misinterpreted, and misunderstood me; this is a good example of why the MCAT still tests premeds on VR.

Cheap shots like this really irk me.

Seriously dude, calm down. No one was trying to antagonize you. But you're antagonizing others. CanadianMedHopeful even apoligized.

Anyways, post #1,999. This thread is long!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I want to be post #2,000 so I will just post this picture of how I felt during the BS section

2r2pqfk.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I have a feeling moop is the kind of guy who drives all the other med students/ residents crazy with his constant deathly seriousness. The kind of guy who jokes once and then it gets passed on like a myth for years; some people say it's mere conjecture, but deep down they hope it's true.

Reactions: 3 users
(ahem) ON A DIFFERENT NOTE....

What is everyone doing as we approach the 1 week countdown?

I have classes and start teaching my Tuesday class this week, so hopefully that will keep my mind off things. I've also been trying to locate some of my old recipes for tiramisu, breads, etc.
And, just in case...
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1409456705.737230.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I have a feeling moop is the kind of guy who drives all the other med students/ residents crazy with his constant deathly seriousness. The kind of guy who jokes once and then it gets passed on like a myth for years; some people say it's mere conjecture, but deep down they hope it's true.
lol ok good luck with the wait.

(ahem) ON A DIFFERENT NOTE....

What is everyone doing as we approach the 1 week countdown?

I have classes and start teaching my Tuesday class this week, so hopefully that will keep my mind off things. I've also been trying to locate some of my old recipes for tiramisu, breads, etc.
And, just in case...
View attachment 185069
I teach, of course. Going to Schlitterbahn tomorrow with my sister, fiance, and sisters fiance. Just trying to keep my cool.

I haven't posted in awhile but I do agree with everyone that the wait is dreadful :(. But at least I am keeping myself occupied with classes and scribe training.

Has anyone on this thread currently or in the past been a scribe and have any tips?

I haven't posted in awhile but I do agree with everyone that the wait is dreadful :(. But at least I am keeping myself occupied with classes and scribe training.

Has anyone on this thread currently or in the past been a scribe and have any tips?

I'm a scribe. I would recommend practicing your typing skills. You could do this by taking notes on your laptop in class or something.

Also, be able to handle getting yelled at when you f*** something up because it will happen. The docs I work for don't mind humiliating you or yelling at you. Watch the first 30 minutes or so of Full metal jacket to get an idea of the proper response to verbal abuse...

Last but not least get really good at multi-tasking, but that's kind of a natural skill so I don't know how you'd get better at it. Maybe practice rubbing your tummy and patting your head?

-cheers

I've decided that I'm getting drunk before checking my scores... primed for disaster and celebration #imagenius

That's actually really smart. I think I might do that too! In fact, my friend gave me a bottle of alcohol after the MCAT but I didn't feel like it because I was hyperactively analyzing all the things I could have messed up. So I still have it and I think that right before scores come back would be a perfect time to drink it.

I'm going back and forth between thinking I might've scored a 33-34 and thinking I blew it and got a 27-28. I just want to know... But I'm definitely going to be drinking before I check my scores as well. We're on the home stretch, fellas.

Last edited:
One week!! :dead:

Feelings post exam: 34
Feelings ~2-3 weeks post exam: 37
Feelings now: I just want a 30 :cryi:

We get our scores on September 9th, one week from today!!! Judging by the times of all the other score releases, we'll get them around 4:30 ET/3:30 CT.
Where did the last 3 weeks go?? I feel like I got pounded just yesterday.