The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is there such anxiety? It's just a test. Yes, an important one; but still just a test. Success in the long run is not going to be dictated by a mere MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is there such anxiety? It's just a test. Yes, an important one; but still just a test. Success in the long run is not going to be dictated by a mere MCAT score.

Seconded. Yeah, I'd like to know my score sooner than later but at the end of the day we can always retake the test. Doing badly on this one administration of the MCAT won't destroy us, even if it makes things a little more challenging or complicated in the upcoming months. This whole experience is kind of like climbing a really tall mountain. We might experience setbacks along the way but one day hopefully we will be able to look back on the journey fondly because it is what allowed us...ok now I'm just getting all philosophical and I don't know what I'm trying to say. Anyhow.

Log off of SDN if checking it makes you anxious about your score. There's literally nothing you can do at this point; it's been graded already and is just sitting in some server before it's released. Go to class and pay attention; that'll pay off much more in the long run (i.e., over a semester or academic year) than worrying about a taken and graded exam ever will.

Reactions: 2 users

I suffer quite badly with anxiety. You're totally right that it's just a test, but keep in mind that people process anxiety differently!! You may be able to stay calm about the whole thing, but it's much more difficult for some of us. :eek:

I suffer quite badly with anxiety. You're totally right that it's just a test, but keep in mind that people process anxiety differently!! You may be able to stay calm about the whole thing, but it's much more difficult for some of us. :eek:

This is true. I didn't think of this. I also have anxiety but about different things. I guess it is different for everyone.

We're next in line guys! :corny: :claps::soexcited:

:scared::cryi:
:sick::vomit::vomit::lol::dead:

Seemed like many from Aug 1st/2nd did worse than their AAMC average. Like much worse than the expected +/- 2 from the avg. :barf:

We're next in line guys! :corny: :claps::soexcited:

:scared::cryi:
:sick::vomit::vomit::lol::dead:

Seemed like many from Aug 1st/2nd did worse than their AAMC average. Like much worse than the expected +/- 2 from the avg. :barf:
Great... I needed some negative reenforcement lol. On the other hand, it looks like they had a much easier test, giving less room for error. I for one am glad we got a harder test because it's almost impossible for me to lose my cool or lose track of time. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
On the other hand, it looks like they had a much easier test, giving less room for error.

Well crap, I felt the verbal to be easy. I thought I caught all their tricks. Even had time left over, which never happens. Scored constant 10s on the practice, and felt they were much harder than the real thing. This makes me paranoid now :depressed: The scale will probably be harsher, leaving less room for error like you said. Missing 5 will probably be a 10 lol. Missing 10 will be like a 5. Missing 14 will be a 1 :shifty:

Also, I know for a fact only 4/7 passages were the same as a friend's exam who took the same date/time. So there's that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well crap, I felt the verbal to be easy. I thought I caught all their tricks. Even had time left over, which never happens. Scored constant 10s on the practice, and felt they were much harder than the real thing. This makes me paranoid now :depressed: The scale will probably be harsher, leaving less room for error like you said. Missing 5 will probably be a 10 lol. Missing 10 will be like a 5. Missing 14 will be a 1 :shifty:

Also, I know for a fact only 4/7 passages were the same as a friend's exam who took the same date/time. So there's that.
I'm pretty worried about verbal too; it did feel easier than any practice VR section I'd done. I feel like I only guessed on 3-5 and they were good guesses, but who knows. And if it is a harsh curve I don't think it will be THAT harsh lol. That would ruin everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Besides that, your practice test scores were way better than mine if I remember right (too lazy to go back on the thread to look right now). If I can handle this verbal you'll have no problem.

Before checking Aug 1/2: probably 27 at the lowest

After: I am going to get an 18 4/10/4

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone else wish we had our scores right now? I don't know about you guys but this wait is really hard for me.. Sheesh!

Before checking Aug 1/2: probably 27 at the lowest

After: I am going to get an 18 4/10/4

Same. 18 but 10/-2/10

Does anyone else wish we had our scores right now? I don't know about you guys but this wait is really hard for me.. Sheesh!

Well at least there's the gift card to look forward to tomorrow (hopefully we'll get one). Then a Friday! Then a Weekend. And then a dreaded Monday :meh:. One day at a time peoples

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking, would it be too late to retake the MCATs if we're applying THIS cycle?

By the time our scores come out, I will be done with all my secondaries and I don't think Duke would find my previous pictures as hilarious if I am applying with a 23.

Hypothetically speaking, would it be too late to retake the MCATs if we're applying THIS cycle?

By the time our scores come out, I will be done with all my secondaries and I don't think Duke would find my previous pictures as hilarious if I am applying with a 23.
Yes. The latest MCAT scores they'll accept for this cycle is one taken in August. A lot of us are in the same boat... really don't want to have to take a gap year.

I think it's to make people sign up to take another mcat to maximize profit for the "non-profit" organization

well, they succeeded... because it worked on me. took this god awful exam because i was nervous... when I should have just chilled out and waited for the 7/24 results.

so I was sleeping earlier... and I had this dream (nightmare) where I was taking the mcat.... but they pulled a fast one on us and ended up administering the new exam 4 months early. so there was like a riot. it was crazy.

well, they succeeded... because it worked on me. took this god awful exam because i was nervous... when I should have just chilled out and waited for the 7/24 results.

Wait, so did you void 8/7 scores somehow? Or are you waiting too for Tuesday?

Yeah, I had a dream it was March, and I was sitting for the new exam because I got such a low score on this one. But honestly, even if I do badly, I don't think I'm retaking. Felt like this was the best I could do and I reached my peak.

I don't know a way unfortunately. Well, I'm sure you scored just as well as 7/24! That's what the mcat is **supposed** to be like, right? A 34 on one test day should be a 34 on another.

I almost wish they made us take multiple tests over a few days scattered over a couple of months. That way one measly 3.5 hour exam doesn't have as much of an impact for the rest of your life. How you perform over time over multiple 3.5 hour exams is much more meaningful than simply one snapshot in terms of showing how you are as a learner, a critical thinker, and a professional.

People who got lucky and scored a 40, who deserve a 32, it will show that. People who got unlucky and got a 24 who deserve a 32, it will show that too. Everyone has their on and off days, some way worse or better than others. But multiple tests would be hell, time consuming, hard for full-time workers, people with children, etc. The logistics would be a nightmare. It would bring up more questions like how many exams should be administered? How will people pay for it? But that's the fairest testing criteria I can think of, barring the extraneous demographics/logistics. The key is over multiple days spread out to control for outside factors like a car crash the day before. I mean that's basic science experiments 101. They try to control for these kinds of things in the exam itself as much aspossible, but people are more dynamic than that. I'd rather have a doctor who performs constantly well than someone all over the place. Okay, off my soap box haha

Last edited:
I don't know a way unfortunately. Well, I'm sure you scored just as well as 7/24! That's what the mcat is **supposed** to be like, right? A 34 on one test day should be a 34 on another.

I almost wish they made us take multiple tests over a few days scattered over a couple of months. That way one measly 3.5 hour exam doesn't have as much of an impact for the rest of your life. How you perform over time over multiple 3.5 hour exams is much more meaningful than simply one snapshot in terms of showing how you are a learner, a critical thinker, and a professional.

People who got lucky and scored a 40, who deserve a 32, it will show that. People who got unlucky and got a 24 who deserve a 32, it will show that too. Everyone has their on and off days, some way worse or better than others. But multiple tests would be hell, time consuming, hard for full-time workers, people with children, etc. The logistics would be a nightmare. It would bring up more questions like how many exams should be administered? How will people pay for it? But that's the fairest testing criteria I can think of, barring the extraneous demographics/logistics. The key is over multiple days spread out to control for outside factors like a car crash the day before. I mean that's basic science experiments 101. They try to control for these kinds of things in the exam itself,but people are more dynamic than that. I'd rather have a doctor who performs constantly well than someone all over the place. Okay, off my soap box haha
Agreed

I almost wish they made us take multiple tests over a few days scattered over a couple of months. That way one measly 3.5 hour exam doesn't have as much of an impact for the rest of your life. How you perform over time over multiple 3.5 hour exams is much more meaningful than simply one snapshot in terms of showing how you are as a learner, a critical thinker, and a professional.

People who got lucky and scored a 40, who deserve a 32, it will show that. People who got unlucky and got a 24 who deserve a 32, it will show that too. Everyone has their on and off days, some way worse or better than others. But multiple tests would be hell, time consuming, hard for full-time workers, people with children, etc. The logistics would be a nightmare. It would bring up more questions like how many exams should be administered? How will people pay for it? But that's the fairest testing criteria I can think of, barring the extraneous demographics/logistics. The key is over multiple days spread out to control for outside factors like a car crash the day before. I mean that's basic science experiments 101. They try to control for these kinds of things in the exam itself as much aspossible, but people are more dynamic than that. I'd rather have a doctor who performs constantly well than someone all over the place. Okay, off my soap box haha

ahh... the thing is though, the way I see it... if you get a 28 when you deserve a 31... fine, maybe you got unlucky. but a 40... yes, some of that is luck, but the difference between a 40 and a 32 is definitely some skill and knowledge. I like to think of it as... a lower score doesn't truly show what you're capable of... but the higher score definitely does. I think the way they design the questions is, for most of them, you're not getting them right unless you know your ****. a person with a 40 definitely knows their ****. and from my discussions with you... you do too. so I wouldn't sweat it, you probably did well.

ahh... the thing is though, the way I see it... if you get a 28 when you deserve a 31... fine, maybe you got unlucky. but a 40... yes, some of that is luck, but the difference between a 40 and a 32 is definitely some skill and knowledge. I like to think of it as... a lower score doesn't truly show what you're capable of... but the higher score definitely does. I think the way they design the questions is, for most of them, you're not getting them right unless you know your ****. a person with a 40 definitely knows their ****. and from my discussions with you... you do too. so I wouldn't sweat it, you probably did well.

Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't think of it like that! Very good point. It's easier to get a low score when you're guessing randomly because you have a 75% chance of getting it wrong. Likewise, it's harder to get a higher score when you're completely guessing because you have only a 25% chance of getting it right. So that means a higher score more likely means you know your stuff, but a low score doesn't necessarily mean you don't know your stuff, exactly like you said!! You could have narrowed it down to 50/50, but selecting the wrong answer would show that you know as much as someone who doesn't even know how to begin the problem. That's the pitfall of a multiple choice test I guess. So then, there needs to be examination methods to also differentiate people who got an 25 because they don't know their information/test taking strategies from a person who got an 25 because they were able to narrow their answers to two answer choices, had a 50% chance, but kept getting unlucky. Both scores of 25 between the two people are not equal then. Based off of your line of reasoning and my line of reasoning, there's a greater difference between two 25s than two 40s from two different people. Someone who scores a 25 could actually range from 20-30 (+/- 5 with a 10 point range...completely being hypothetical), but someone who scores a 40 could range from 38-42 (+/- 2 with a 4 point range).

Sigh this is pretty dreadful.

AAMC average = 13.5/10/13.5 (37)
Post test approximation = 12/10/13 (35)
Now = Just give me 30+ :dead:

And reading Aug 1/2 thread just makes it worse. I'm still cursing myself for poor time management on the test. :diebanana:

So I counted...

20 total unique people took the 8am test and had it scored

46 total unique people took the 2pm test and had it scored

2 voided and did not have the exam scored

When the 2pm-ers started posting, unless the user stated what time they took it, I assumed it was 2pm. Also, I only counted from page 31 onwards using the people who chimed in their thoughts on the exam.

I have the list of users if someone wants me to post it to double check I missed someone or put someone in the wrong time. Maybe later we can update the list showing next to our name what our predicted, AAMC avg, and actual scores are. That'll be easier for people later on to see in one spot how this test date was and get a better feel for how the numbers correlate with one another....like if people actaully score +/- 2 from their AAMC avg (of course it is a small, non-random sample selection size -- users of SDN on this particular testing date and times. And it is not a "true" experiment as my Research Methods prof went on so many rants about, so take it with a grain of salt )

Last edited:
I'll post it anyways. Here are the people who took our exam date (hope it's not an invasion of privacy since it's known who took the exam or not from the thread records lol). Sorry if I put someone in the wrong time or missed someone too:

8 AM:
123hello
Advocate
amethystmed
bambam92
Blob229
cb13076
clairephillips
doctorswagnyc
evan7981
goft20
HeyWilly
jenniferrae
Kakaonkaka
Notepad
nvas
OrbitalOverload
reaperx58
Shipley231
sunshine02
Txmednic

Total: 20

2 PM:
1LazyAngel
CanadianMedHopeful
catnipchips
cccc1914
Cocobear88
cpsprivate
currentlypremed
dbgehle
doppio
DrMaccoman
drrao88
dumadr.
EarthToDoc
elizabeth99
Flakey22
futuredoc2389
futureMDhere
gmail12
ihateups
inarticulation
Itsjustme3
kenjixshadow
MarkovnikovRules
Medix450
Midnight Schemes
mus1cx
Ninjaman180
Noneuclidean
olemiss_01
pontelones
premedpostmom
Richie pee
RockChalkJayDoc428
RumbaToMD
serenitynow11
sg808
SportsNutMD
StandUpComedian
taco152
The Boatox
TonyTonyChopper
user12
Vinsabi
w0rldw3y3d
Wanderyonder
Wasted Energy

Total: 46

I'll post it anyways. Here are the people who took our exam date (hope it's not an invasion of privacy since it's known who took the exam or not from the thread records lol). Sorry if I put someone in the wrong time or missed someone too:

Good idea.

You can always start a google doc and paste the names in. Ppl can fill in their AAMC avg, expected score, and real score and repost the link when they're done so that it doesn't get drowned out.

Good idea.

You can always start a google doc and paste the names in. Ppl can fill in their AAMC avg, expected score, and real score and repost the link when they're done so that it doesn't get drowned out.
lol. Predicting <30% response rate if this actually happens (mostly because people didn't perform up to par and don't want others to know).

lol. Predicting <30% response rate if this actually happens (mostly because people didn't perform up to par and don't want others to know).

Predicting <30% of your responses in this thread to be positive, supportive, non-antagonistic statements.

Valid point, but still...Okay, so we shouldn't do this. We shouldn't try. Let's all give up.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to make a google doc, feel free :) Haven't really ever used it. Usually use dropbox. Don't wanna figure it out tonight.

You guys with 35+ averages worrying that you didn't do well... Come on lol. It's people like me (29.5 average) who should be worried since we're right on the fence and a +2 would be great, while a -2 might keep us from being competitive. You guys are fine regardless.

You guys with 35+ averages worrying that you didn't do well... Come on lol. It's people like me (29.5 average) who should be worried since we're right on the fence and a +2 would be great, while a -2 might keep us from being competitive. You guys are fine regardless.
Right there with you...F.

Predicting <30% of your responses in this thread to be positive, supportive, non-antagonistic statements.

Valid point, but still...Okay, so we shouldn't do this. We shouldn't try. Let's all give up.
:lol: :rofl: :roflcopter: Well, you've barely been in this thread, so I don't expect you to know. I've contributed more to this thread than you ever will. @Thoroughbred_Med @Shipley231 @clairephillips know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

I see what you mean, but everyone hopes to score around their averages ya know? :)

8 AM:
123hello
Advocate
amethystmed
bambam92
Blob229
cb13076
clairephillips
doctorswagnyc
evan7981
goft20
HeyWilly
jenniferrae
Kakaonkaka
Notepad
nvas
OrbitalOverload
reaperx58
Shipley231
sunshine02
Txmednic

Total: 20

2 PM:
1LazyAngel
CanadianMedHopeful
catnipchips
cccc1914
Cocobear88
cpsprivate
currentlypremed
dbgehle
doppio
DrMaccoman
drrao88
dumadr.
EarthToDoc
elizabeth99
Flakey22
futuredoc2389
futureMDhere
gmail12
ihateups
inarticulation
Itsjustme3
kenjixshadow
MarkovnikovRules
Medix450
Midnight Schemes
mus1cx
Ninjaman180
Noneuclidean
olemiss_01
pontelones
premedpostmom
Richie pee
RockChalkJayDoc428
RumbaToMD
serenitynow11
sg808
SportsNutMD
StandUpComedian
taco152
The Boatox
TonyTonyChopper
user12
Vinsabi
w0rldw3y3d
Wanderyonder
Wasted Energy

Adderall had me like

:lol: :rofl: :roflcopter: Well, you've barely been in this thread, so I don't expect you to know. @Thoroughbred_Med @Shipley231 @clairephillips know what I'm talking about.
Moop's only reason for being here has been to coach us through this experience as someone who did it successfully last year. This guidance contributed to me raising my PS score from struggling to get an 8 to consistently scoring 10 and over. I think a lot of us can say the same thing. Also, I can tell you I'd be really reluctant to contribute to a Google doc if I bomb this thing, but I might for the sake of science.

^But that's the thing, if a lot of people are reluctant to contribute because they bomb it, we'll know that too. I averaged 35.3 on AAMC, but now I feel like I got like a 29. That will be sooo embarrassing and y'all will laugh, but nobody knows me. It's just an online forum. I'll move on. If that happens to quite a few people, it at least shows that maybe the AAMC practice exams aren't a great of a resource for predicting your score as we thought (I highly doubt that's the case). And if many don't contribute, we'll have a better understanding of the representation of score posters (informing us to what extent do people with really high scores post here, making us all feel badly). See, regardless, even the lack of information can tell us something!

In all the "Official [date] Mcat threads" the result scores are scattered everywhere. IDK if there's ever been a tally of people who posted predicting their scores and then never respond later after scores come out. But, we all know sdn is not the average community of exam takers. And this date is probably not even representative of sdn test takers either. But it gives us an idea. Like are 40% of posters scoring 35+ and the actual percent should be ~5% based on the published data by AAMC. Or is it closer to 10% informing us that we aren't that far off of usual test takers. Also note that there were a couple people in the list above that it was basically their first time posting (basically like me, even though I posted like two times years ago as a lurker, but that's beside the fact). They might forget about this thread and never post because of that reason too, not because they bomb it.

And I know moop is trying to be supportive and living "vicariously" through us like he/she said before. That's cool and all, but at least in the last couple of days, pretty much all comments he/she said in this thread have been negative and involved in some sort of argument. I don't appreciate that. I'm already on edge with the scores coming out soon. We all are, because it's just one stupid exam that has a pretty heavy weight on our application.

Last edited:
Agreed with how unrepresentative of the actual test taking population SDN is. I tend to forget I'm not stupid if I pull off a 29 or 30 because others here routinely score 34+. You have to remember that for everyone scoring that high, someone out there is barely breaking the 20's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Got the gift card! What a nice consolation prize, lol.

44% for the biochem trial from 8am