The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Test Date: 08/07/2014
Time: 8AM
FL AAMC Average: 31.25
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 30 : 9/10/11

Edit: formatting
Edit 2.0: definitely 30, not 38. Either I can't type or I cant add, pick whichever lowers your opinion of my intelligence less.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Time: 2PM
FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 32 (11/11/10)

Expected: 30
Actual: 32 (10 PS/10V/12 BS)

I GUESSED ON SO MUCH IN BS. I felt 100% confident on almost all the PS.... just goes to show you how little your gut feeling means. Stay strong everyone, I was expecting a 12-13 in PS; I never scored below 12 on practice tests (Kaplan/AAMC/GS)

I just wanted to say it's been somewhat encouraging and entertaining following this thread and wanted to post my stats

8AM Taker

12/9/11

32 overall

AAMC Average:30-31
TPR Average:28

ECSTATIC ABOUT MY SCORE!!!! went up from a 24 8/6/8 but back in May of 2009 lol

Didn't touch MCAT material again until THIS summer, and honestly that long time away from all of it helped as far as starting fresh.

Surprised abut that PS cuz I felt like crap after that but felt like Beast Mode after the BS...oh well I'm so glad to be done with this exam!!

Congrats to all those that scored what they were aiming for and Best of luck to all of you planing on retaking, keep your head up you'll get that 30++!!

Oh **** I got an 11/14/11=36!!! WTF I thought I got an 8 on bio and physics. I'm registered for the exam on 10/21 but I guess I can cancel, get a partial refund, and sell those ****ing expensive prep materials on Amazon! Wow.

Time: 8AM
FL AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 33-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 38 : 14/11/13

I am speechless right now.
So thankful to you all for your support throughout this. I hope you all feel the same way I do. May we all become great physicians and improve the world! I'm rooting for all of you!

Reactions: 5 users
FL AAMC Average: 36
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 34 (12/10/12)

Note:
My section breakdowns seem almost totally random, averaged about a 12/12/12 on practice tests. Bombed verbal apparently, even after feeling pretty good about it during the test. Thought I did really badly at PS/BS due to noise and tough questions, but got 12's. You can never really predict this test.

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: 28
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 32 (10/11/11)

Time:
8AM
FL AAMC Average: 37-38
Post-test expected score: 35-40 (really no idea)
Actual Score: 38 (14P 11V 13B)
Comments:
First time poster here. Thank you all for being awesome during all of this. I thought the PS on the 8am test was by far the most difficult section and I was concerned that I had sunk myself. After the verbal section I felt great so I'm a tad annoyed that I ended up below my practice average on VR. Bio was bio and bio was fine-- no surprise there.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did pretty much what I expected (maybe a point higher). AAMC avg was ~30 though.

I got a 10 PS/ 7 V / 11 BS = total of 28.

I honestly thought PS killed me, but it wasn't too bad. Verbal is what did me in. =/ Now, I really need to contemplate whether I should retake it or not.

took the mcat in july, got a 34. took the mcat in august and got.... a 34. would have been sweet if i could have pulled a 35. but at least i can retire on a high note.

Reactions: 2 users
EDIT, I actually got 14/11/11, not 11/14/11...AAMC lists it as VR, PS, BS...What. the. hell. I thought I aced verbal but only got an 11 (not complaining, I'll take an 11 any day) but completely GUESSED ON EVERYTHING ON PS!!! AND SOMEHOW ENDED UP WITH A 14!!! wow.

do you guys have any tips for someone who's taking the test this Friday (besides getting the f*** off SDN)

My husband is a rockstar! He took the test on 6/21 and did not do as well as expected (10/08/09 = 27). After not studying for an entire month while waiting for scores, he made the hard decision to retake two weeks later on 8/7.

AAMC Avg: 33
Test: 08/07 - 2pm
Actual: 11/11/12 = 34!

I'm so proud of him and happy for the opportunities it opens up for our family!

Post-test expected score: 27-29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 30 (10/11/9)

Kind of disappointed to be honest... I know I scored above my post-test expected score but I really under-performed in physics. I was averaging 12 toward the end of my tests and I'm worried now about having a 9 in bio without a strong physics/verbal to pick it up. I would have been so much happier with 12/11/9.

Honestly not sure what to do and whether to retake. It seems ridiculous considering my average but I had a good upward trend and I'm taking organic and micro I now so that will help my bio portion a lot.

I just feel really bleh.

My husband is a rockstar! He took the test on 6/21 and did not do as well as expected (10/08/09 = 27). After not studying for an entire month while waiting for scores, he made the hard decision to retake two weeks later on 8/7.

AAMC Avg: 33
Test: 08/07 - 2pm
Actual: 11/11/12 = 34!

I'm so proud of him and happy for the opportunities it opens up for our family!

Let me add too that he didn't just raise his score by 7 points in two weeks by some miracle. He honestly felt that he just had a really poor test the first time around. He got off on timing, let his nerves get to him - his average was 33 going in to the exam. Additionally, it appeared that the computer didn't take all his answers properly, but he didn't realize it until the last section. So it was an awful experience, but after receiving feedback on this forum, he made the call to test again. Good luck to everyone!

OK I can barely type right now! First thing I did was call my family!!!
FL AAMC Average: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 32 (12/6/14)

OMG!!! OMG!!! I don't even know what to say!! I knew I got destroyed on verbal and I was relying on my sciences to pick my scores up look what they did!! I won't retake this BS, so happy

Time: 8am
FL AAMC Average: 31.6
Post-test expected score: 29-33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 32 (11/9/12)

have to say I am satisfied. I scored right at my AAMC average. I think I'm done with this test thank God

Reactions: 1 users
Post-test expected score: 26
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 29 : 8/11/10

Underperformed in PS. Verbal and BS scores were my average. Whatever.

Time:
8AM
FL AAMC Average: 37-38
Post-test expected score: 35-40 (really no idea)
Comments:

First time poster here. Thank you all for being awesome during all of this. I thought the PS on the 8am test was by far the most difficult section and I was concerned that I had sunk myself. After the verbal section I felt great so I'm a tad annoyed that I ended up below my practice average on VR. Bio was bio and bio was fine-- no surprise there.

can you please share what you did to prepare??

Time:
2PM
FL AAMC Average: 32.5
Post-test expected score: 28-34
Actual Score: 33 (11P 13V 9B)
Comments:
Overall pretty happy and not gonna retake, wish bio was higher, but i haven't taken OChem II yet and I think that was part of my issue. Hopefully I can explain that on an application/in an interview. Congrats to everyone and hope to see you at a white coat ceremony soon!

FL AAMC Average: 31.5
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 32 (11/10/11)

I am literally in shock.

I'm so in shock right now I'm numb. I literally had to stare at the screen for minutes before I registered that that really was my score. Never have I scored that low on ANY practice test I've ever taken. I really don't know what to do now. It's actually slowly starting to hit me right now. I can't believe I put that much work into something and still did so badly. My average was pretty high, but this was totally not what I was expecting. I'm really, really sad right now because I feel like I have nothing to show for the summer because I was studying for this. I even pinched myself because I thought it was a bad nightmare that I would wake up from. I never would have thought I would score this low.

I feel like my life is in such a mess right now. I'm in school and have not brought any mcat study materials with me, and I really really do not want to take the new mcat. Plus, I've used up all the study materials I've had...and then there's the "what if I don't score higher than I did the first time?"

Sorry guys. I'm so sad right now I can't even think, so sorry for the rant. I'm crying alone in my room. I feel like no one understands. Perhaps I'm not cut out for med school.

I'm so in shock right now I'm numb. I literally had to stare at the screen for minutes before I registered that that really was my score. Never have I scored that low on ANY practice test I've ever taken. I really don't know what to do now. It's actually slowly starting to hit me right now. I can't believe I put that much work into something and still did so badly. My average was pretty high, but this was totally not what I was expecting. I'm really, really sad right now because I feel like I have nothing to show for the summer because I was studying for this. I even pinched myself because I thought it was a bad nightmare that I would wake up from. I never would have thought I would score this low.

I feel like my life is in such a mess right now. I'm in school and have not brought any mcat study materials with me, and I really really do not want to take the new mcat. Plus, I've used up all the study materials I've had...and then there's the "what if I don't score higher than I did the first time?"

Sorry guys. I'm so sad right now I can't even think, so sorry for the rant. I'm crying alone in my room. I feel like no one understands. Perhaps I'm not cut out for med school.

Hey sunshine, I took this for the second time and I received the SAME exact low score. I cannot even retake until the new MCAT because I voided on my first attempt this year. Keep your head up, if you want to be a doctor, you WILL be. and if you want to get into an MD school, take the extra time and kill this new MCAT. It's still all in our hands.

I felt the same exact way when I received my score for my 5/31 exam and I practiced for all of July and received all scores that were 5-6 points above my actual score (both times). I thought 5/31 was a fluke, but apparently 8/7 was also not telling of my abilities. But its not over. Not until I get into an MD school. And that's the attitude you have to have.

Im sorry, dont give up. I am torn up about having to retake too. Let yourself be sad tonight and tomorrow, but get back on the horse asap.

FL AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 41 : 14/13/14

WTF HAPPENED I HAVE NO EFFING CLUE!!!!!!!!!! I underperformed in April (31, 13/8/10), so this is AMAZING news! So if any of you guys underperformed big time, I totally feel you!!! And it is possible to bounce back!

But I want to THANK EVERYONE for being so supportive for the past few months. I'd be more than happy paying it forward, so I'll probably stick around the threads for future MCAT dates for a few months :) Love you all and best of luck on ALL of your endeavors. Simply having the motivation and dedication to go through this long journey means a lot, and it will take you far no matter what you end up doing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
38 14/11/13 holy ****

So to use the actual format:
FL AAMC Average: 35.3
(range: 32-39)
Post-test expected score: 35 (12/10/13), 33-37 (12/10/13)
Comments:
I'm in shock. My highest on verbal practices was an 11, and was not expecting that. My post test feeling, individual AAMC scores, and how I prepared for the exam is quoted below from myself earlier. I guess with 40+ posts, I'm not a just lurker anymore :p

Usually a lurker, rarely on here, and never post and probably won't again except for a follow up, but wanted to give some thoughts on Thursday's 2pm exam if it helps anyone taking it in the near future.

Overall: It wasn't harder or easier than expected, just different. Like if I could put the difficulty rating of all the questions on a standard bell curve, I think the mean/median would stay the same, but it would have a higher standard deviation, i.e. the questions were more variable. There was one totally WTF question on each science section that I could only make my best educated guess. I've never encountered that much wtf on any practice exams. Of course there's always those questions that you either know it or you don't and you just have to make a best guess and hope you get lucky, but usually there is 4-5 on each science section, however I felt there was 6-7 this time, which was unnerving.

As for my practice exams:
AAMC range: 32-39 (in order taken starting about a month before the exam day)
5: 36 (12/11/13)
7: 32 (11/9/12)
11: 34 (11/11/12)
10: 34 (12/10/12)
9: 39 (15/10/14)
8: 37 (14/10/13)
Average: 35.3 (12.5/10.1/12.7)
Prediction:
Conservative: 33 (12/9/12)
Lucky: 37 (13/11/13)

AAMC 3 and 4, I took over a year ago for really no reason, which was a waste/stupid. Just wanted to see what the exam was like. For 3, I got a 28 (10/7/11) and for 4, I got a 30 (10/7/13). Idk why my PS jumped so high on AAMC 9 and 8. I think that's when I changed my strategy to go back and check my work since I usually have 10 minutes left in the sciences. Pretty stable for a 10 in verbal, which I was really happy about. Was shooting for a 9. I will die if I get an 11.

Test Day Breakdown:
PS:
Not sure if it was either more conceptual or more calculations than the AAMC FLs as others mentioned, but I do remember by the end of the time, my scratch paper had more formulas/stuff written down than usual. idk if it was more calculations per se, but more testing the relationships of variables in formulas. I like to write the formulas down to visualize easier if a test question hints at a concept that uses a formula. I guess there was more questions involving formulas/relationships. PS section is just about as strong as my BS section. But I couldn't calm down/get my heart rate down for the first 30 minutes, which could have had a deleterious effect on thinking clearly. Breathing in for ~6 seconds, holding for 6, and out for 6 is a trick I'd do on my nervous system to slow my heart rate down. My brother went to military academy and taught me that trick to calm down. It works lol. But I was just waayyy too nervous at the start of the test.

VS: My weakest section. For the AAMC FLs, I always barely finished with enough time (like 30 seconds). But this time, I had 3 minutes to spare, which NEVER happens. I did not notice the word length was higher as other people mentioned. I'm pretty sure I had the same test as everyone else though, because all the questions/passages others hinted at, I definitely had. I usually do the passages in a different order. I skip to the passages where I read the first two or three sentences, understand the general topic, AND I think is interesting. Then I move onto the ones that are less interesting. And finally the last one or two passages I hold on for dear life. I write down #1-7 on the scratch paper and cross out the passage numbers I did to keep track. I also write down the time I should be at after every passage: 51, 42, 33, 24, 15, and 6 min (I allow 9 min per passage and leave 6 minutes for the hardest passage that I know I wouldn't do better on even if I had 15 minutes -- based on previous practice experience). I'm usually on time for every passage on every practice exam I took. However, for the actual exam, I varied and was at around 54, 45, 33, 25, 17, 10, and finished with 3 minutes to spare. This was weird because I'm usually invariable when it comes to timing, despite the fact it is my weakest section and I almost have a heart attack every time I come to the verbal section. Like every minute is a struggle and I feel like I'm being dragged by my feet against my will to take this horrible section, but it didn't feel that bad for the actual test. I thought the passages were interesting for the most part. So glad that there wasn't any of those philosophy passages (like with Confucius or Greek philosophy with weird Greek names that I can never remember where it is in the passage if a question refers to that person). I usually score around a 10 on practice exams which I'm fine with, but because the actual exam felt nothing like the practice exams, I have no friken clue what I'll get. I hope the fact that I had a lot of time to spare means I did well, but I know myself, and when things are off, it's not good, even if I felt good about it.

BS: Yeah, that one passage people mentioned, holy crap. Also, I felt like for one or two questions, if I didn't take biochem before, I would've been screwed. I seriously wouldn't have known the information off the top of my head without taking the class. So that was a curve-ball that I'm glad I hit. For PS and BS, I finished with 10-13 minutes to spare. So I go back and check my work. I'm glad I did because I found mistakes in each section. That probably saved me 2 whole points because I'm always on a borderline for the sciences. I never check my work for verbal because I don't have time and usually my gut is better at answering verbal questions.

As for preparing for the exam, I tried to follow the Sn2ed calendar. Never did, with work and summer classes (going into my fourth year undergrad now at UF). Had a friend that had all the Berkeley Review books, TPRH verbal workbook, and all EK 1001 for me to use. Tried to follow the 4 month calendar with all this nice material, but found it just did not suit my learning style I developed in undergrad. So I ended up reading all the BR chapters/EK bio chapters, making sure I understand thoroughly everything. All derivations of formulas, all concepts and connections, and all test taking strategies. Just tried to learn good, genuine, basic science concepts of everything. That helped me out the best. In hindsight, I think I really grew as a scientist/critical thinker through studying the MCAT.

I tried to do some of the BR passages, but didn't bother after a while becuase it was too much with work.. Tried to do the EK 1001, and got 20% through each book, but stopped. I found that just reviewing the BR chapters constantly and doing the AAMC FL exams helped me the most. It took me at first a whole day (or more) to get through reading one BR chapter, but eventually I got so efficient, I could go through a whole science in one day (10 chapters for chem, 10 for phys, 8 for orgo, 9 for EK bio). I probably went through reading the PS sciences 5 times and the BS sciences 3 times over. For the verbal, I tried to do 3 practice TPRH workbook passages per day, but that didn't work out. I like to do things in chunks and focus on one thing. So after reading the science passages twice, I felt it was time to focus on the TPRH workbook. I usually did groups of seven passages and timed myself for an hour. Was doing really badly and was expecting an 8, but averaged a solid 10 on the practice AAMC FL. So whatever. That's fine with me. I hope the way I studied pays off in the end. That's just my learning style. Didn't have time to go through the practice questions because of work and school commitments, but made sure I did all the AAMC FLs diligently and honestly. We'll see in a month D-:

Good Luck to anyone reading this who is taking it soon :)

Last edited:

I don't know you who you are, but the only advice I can give you on good conscience is:

Get up.

Same boat. My scores don't seem to make any sense but I'm already mentally prepping for the next two months and a retake. It sucks so much to even think about it but what else are we gonna do? Curl up and die? Go back to teaching high school English (please Cthulhu don't let this be my future)? We're gonna go into this with a chip on our shoulder. The MCAT screwed us this time. So let's go back and punch its stupid idiot face. Now we're angry. That's a hell of a motivator. "How we survive is what makes us who we are."

Time: 8am
FL AAMC Average: 29
Post-test expected score: 26-29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 29 : 10/09/10

Wasn't really sure what to think when I first saw it. But thinking about it now, I came out of the test thinking I got a 6 on PS. This score could have been a LOT worse. I know it's not a 40, but hopefully this 29 doesn't shut any doors for me! :)

I'm sticking with it and not going to my retake on Friday!!!

Reactions: 5 users
FL AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 36
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 41 : 14/13/14

WTF HAPPENED I HAVE NO EFFING CLUE!!!!!!!!!! I underperformed in April (31, 13/8/10), so this is AMAZING news! So if any of you guys underperformed big time, I totally feel you!!! And it is possible to bounce back!

But I want to THANK EVERYONE for being so supportive for the past few months. I'd be more than happy paying it forward, so I'll probably stick around the forums for a few months :) Love you all and best of luck on ALL of your endeavors. Simply having the motivation and dedication to go through this long journey means a lot, and it will take you far no matter what you end up doing!

Congrats! let us know how you prepped!

anyone used coursesaver?? any thoughts?? I need to improve my PS, I'm OK with everything else.

Eh, he's okay. It's better than rote memorization and thumbing through bland textbooks but it sure as hell didn't help me much. Plus he flies through the second half of Physics. If you said you need help in Chem maybe.

FL AAMC Average: 29.125
Post-test expected score: 26-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 32 (11/10/11)

This was my first attempt. In the past, posts with AAMC scores and breakdowns helped me get a feel for what I could expect. Hope this helps someone out there!

AAMC FLs
3: 9/10/9 (28)
4: 12/9/8 (29)
5: 10/8/10 (28)
7: 9/9/11 (29)
8: 9/7/10 (26)
9: 11/9/10 (30)
10: 10/10/10 (30)
11: 11/11/11 (33) ** took this 4 days before test day **

FL AAMC Average: 25
Post-test expected score: ?
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 26 (08/10/08)

Welp, Jan. 10 here I come. I feel way more confident knowing that I have months to study for this re-take. But extra gap year here I come!

Very surprised I did so poorly on VR and Bio (thought I killed it in both), but also surprised I didn't get a 6 in PS...fortune does favor the prepared though.

Test date: 8/7/2014
Time: 2 pm
AAMC average: 29.5
Post test expected score: 28-32
Actual score: P10/V11/B10 = 31

I really wasn't sure what to expect. I know 31 is not a stellar score but I'll be competitive at my state school. I'm happy it's nice and balanced. I really wanted a 33-34, but ultimately I'd have been happy with a 30 and I did a point better. I'm so relieved that I won't have to retake!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Test date: 8/7/2014
Time: 2 pm
AAMC average: 29.5
Post test expected score: 28-32
Actual score: P10/V11/B10 = 31

I really wasn't sure what to expect. I know 31 is not a stellar score but I'll be competitive at my state school. I really wanted a 33-34, but ultimately I'd have been happy with a 30 and I did a point better. I'm so relieved that I won't have to retake!

i knew you were gonna do well

FL AAMC Average: 39
Post-test expected score: 37
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 42 (14/13/15)

My roommate was really scared when i ran up and hugged him

Reactions: 7 users
can you please share what you did to prepare??

Same breakdown here....

I used the Berkeley review books for physical sciences and basically slaved over those for content for about a month.
Then went onto EK bio for a little while and slaved over that.
I mainly used the AAMC tests for Orgo, but I did certainly get familiar with it using EK.

Best thing I did was take practice tests. Took one every two days starting 4 weeks before the test.
both AAMC and TBR CBTs (which were great.)

I wasn't scoring above a 30 until that point, then I busted through to high 30s.

YOU CAN DO IT.