The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Test Date: August 7th
Time: 2 pm
AAMC FL: 29-34
Post-test estimate: 27-33
Actual: 27 (12/7/8)

Crap. That's all I could think of when I saw my score. It's close to a 30 without being one. I'm really strong in PS and not great at Verbal (8-10 AAMC), but I thought I did a little better in Bio.

I'm at a crossroads right now. I already have a degree, but I'm taking a couple of post-bacc classes to boost science GPA (3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA). I went to a prestigious school for undergrad that's not known to have much grade inflation, if that's an admission factor. I don't have a ton of experience working/shadowing with doctors (50-60 hrs.), but my dad is a veterinarian and I have several hundred hours of experience with animals. I've really enjoyed working with animals too. My heart hasn't really been set either way as far as human vs. veterinary medicine, but I feel as though I could do way better on the GRE and have a much higher chance of getting into vet school. I would need to retake the MCAT to try for human medicine again, and I don't know how I could study while working part-time and taking a couple of classes. Has anyone else ever thought about this as well, or have any other good advice?

To everyone who took the August 7th test, it was a bear. Congrats on being finished with it! Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

Been a lurker for the past 2 months!

This is my first post ever! First of all, I want to congratulate everyone on here who has done well!! After all that work we have put in, it has paid off and we can finally put this exam to rest.

For the others that haven't done as well as they would like, let me share my story. This is my second time taking the MCAT, and the first time, I got a miserable score of 22 ( 8-6-8). I was depressed for a good month. This time around, my AAMC avg is a 26, with my highest ever being a 28, and lowest one being a 21. When I walked out of that exam after taking the real deal, I thought I scored a 15ish. I was very close to voiding it. I didn't just because my friend told me that no matter how bad you think you did, never void it.

I got my results today, and I am very happy with my score. I got a 30 (11-9-10). I have never scored that high in PS or VR in any of my practice exams. Just to shine a beam of light, but do not give up. Keep grinding and keep doing problems! I had a tough patch going thru all my practice exams, but don't let all these others with 35 averages psych you out. Remember, it's good to score low on your practice and to build on your mistakes!

Keep trucking guys. Keep trucking. We all have once been there, and there isnt anything that tastes sweeter, upon getting the score you deserve after all that you have been thru. Life is a strange journey, but the moment you stop putting one foot ahead of the other is when you will go nowhere.

Reactions: 9 users
LFomXgq.jpg
If the individual is upset and angry with me because of what I said, fine. I'll accept that, as long as s/he gets back on his/her feet and continues working hard and moving forward.

I second this question. How do people "bomb" passages and still get 14s? Even if I understood every passage and every question, getting just 1-2 wrong is difficult to do.

On the AAMC FLs, oftentimes 1 question wrong = 14. 2-3 Questions wrong and you're already looking at 13.
It's possible that people bomb passages that are later thrown out of the score.

ive said it before. they definitely give you a break with scoring. i know at least 4 or 5 i missed in bio and a handful more i was unsure of and they still threw me a 12. and my verbal was sooo hard, i didn't understand a single passage and they still gave me a 10.

Honestly, you have no idea whether or not you missed those questions. You may have guested correctly. But yes, AAMC obviously does some sort of score normalization, whether they call it a 'curve' or not. Otherwise the score would be available immediately, like on the GMAT and other tests.

AAMC prefers an opaque process. It keeps the complaints to a minimum. You can't complain about a system if you have no idea how it works.

Reactions: 1 users
You can't complain about a system if you have no idea how it works.

Watch me. Im not 100% certain if I will ever have to take this test again, but even if I never do I will go to my grave b*tching and moaning about how the aamc could have done this better.

Guys, not counting the "random non-mcat threads" we are the 7th most posted thread in the premed forums under the MCAT discussions. We are also the 20th most viewed and most viewed in 2014. We are a family :)

Reactions: 6 users
Is anyone applying this cycle? I took the test in August so that I wouldn't be a late applicant, but here I am....I'm still doing the secondaries...0_0

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so in shock right now I'm numb. I literally had to stare at the screen for minutes before I registered that that really was my score. Never have I scored that low on ANY practice test I've ever taken. I really don't know what to do now. It's actually slowly starting to hit me right now. I can't believe I put that much work into something and still did so badly. My average was pretty high, but this was totally not what I was expecting. I'm really, really sad right now because I feel like I have nothing to show for the summer because I was studying for this. I even pinched myself because I thought it was a bad nightmare that I would wake up from. I never would have thought I would score this low.

I feel like my life is in such a mess right now. I'm in school and have not brought any mcat study materials with me, and I really really do not want to take the new mcat. Plus, I've used up all the study materials I've had...and then there's the "what if I don't score higher than I did the first time?"

Sorry guys. I'm so sad right now I can't even think, so sorry for the rant. I'm crying alone in my room. I feel like no one understands. Perhaps I'm not cut out for med school.

This test doesn't say anything about your intelligence or if you are good enough to become a physician. It's just ONE of many exams you'll take in your medical career and you can always retry. I know those words probably won't make you feel any better at this moment, but in time you will come around realize everything will be ok.
Sometimes we come to hurdles in our path only to push us to a new threshold. How else are we supposed to know what we are made of if we aren't pushed to our limits at times? Only cowards quit, so I hope you get back on that horse and don't give up if your dream is to learn and practice medicine. Nobody said this **** was easy, and unfortunately there is a bit of luck to it as well. Who knows, maybe this next MCAT you take will the THE ONE and you will DEMOLISH it and exceed your expectations.

Stay positive bro.

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone applying this cycle? I took the test in August so that I wouldn't be a late applicant, but here I am....I'm still doing the secondaries...0_0
I applied this year and met with the dean last month at an osteopathic school. I was told that the only thing holding me back was my mcat score. Looks like I shot myself in the foot and the face with my 23 today (3rd time retake). I have a 3.87 science and 3.98 overall gpa with a solid application and its all meaningless because I couldn't jump over that hurdle. I guess medical schools give you a holistic approach IF you can jump over the mcat hurdle first; if not, they don't seem to even look at you. I invested 5 years of time, effort, and money and i'm pretty sure i've lost all potential to achieve my career goals of becoming a physician after three shots at the MCAT with sub25 scores.

BTW: to those who were NOT quoted by top-teir guy... i'm actually happy for top-tier guy who scored over 40; and if he really did score that high... all the better. I would hope that each and every one of you would be so "on top of the world" that you throw it in my face too because lets be honest... that kind of score is incredible and it's something you should throw in peoples faces,- I consider it on the level of winning the lottery (especially if you were brainiac smart AND a socially normal individual who wasn't socially awkward-- very rare in my book).

to top-teir guy: congrats.. honestly. & to those who cursed him for our sake, well, just be stoked that you still have potential toward a career from that enormously large investment of time, effort, and money towards applying to be accepted to medical school and working toward a career as a physician.

I applied this year and met with the dean last month at an osteopathic school. I was told that the only thing holding me back was my mcat score. Looks like I shot myself in the foot and the face with my 23 today (3rd time retake). I have a 3.87 science and 3.98 overall gpa with a solid application and its all meaningless because I couldn't jump over that hurdle. I guess medical schools give you a holistic approach IF you can jump over the mcat hurdle first; if not, they don't seem to even look at you. I invested 5 years of time, effort, and money and i'm pretty sure i've lost all potential to achieve my career goals of becoming a physician after three shots at the MCAT with sub25 scores.

BTW: to those who were NOT quoted by top-teir guy... i'm actually happy for top-tier guy who scored over 40; and if he really did score that high... all the better. I would hope that each and every one of you would be so "on top of the world" that you throw it in my face too because lets be honest... that kind of score is incredible and it's something you should throw in peoples faces,- I consider it on the level of winning the lottery (especially if you were brainiac smart AND a socially normal individual who wasn't socially awkward-- very rare in my book).

to top-teir guy: congrats.. honestly. & to those who cursed him for our sake, well, just be stoked that you still have potential toward a career from that enormously large investment of time, effort, and money towards applying to be accepted to medical school and working toward a career as a physician.
lol no. It's not okay to "throw it in people's faces" and ridicule others for scoring lower and being disappointed about it. Newsflash: it's not acceptable; just like it's not acceptable if I made a new account and posted as my first post: "Yo, check out this 38 right here you guys are so stupid for having to b*tch about your score. What's white privilege? I'm from Southampton, Phi Beta Kappa at Princeton holla."

He got a great score? Great. He has a good GPA (speculation)? Cool story. So do hordes of other kids from top-tier colleges (probably more top-tier than wherever he goes, unless it's Harvard in which case that's just even more unfortunate).

So, to @top_tier_or_bust (who is most likely trolling but may have actually gotten that score): See you on the admissions battlefield, kid. You're not the only ones with big guns walking around, I guarantee you that. You're never the biggest gunner, so don't count on it. And most of us are more ruthless than you'd imagine, so get ready. I hope you're applying next cycle because it's gonna feel great to kick your a$$ when it admissions time rolls around. Pray; you'll need it.

Reactions: 6 users
Also, I'd chime in that the MCAT is more revealing about those who score low rather than those who get astronomically high.

If you can't break 25 repeatedly, you probably just have to face the fact at some point that maybe, just maybe, you weren't cut out for medicine and the academic rigor that the rest of your career will require. The MCAT is flawed, but at a fundamental level it tests examinees' abilities to absorb new information quickly, critically dissect and utilize that information in a new context just as quickly, and come to conclusions through critical thinking and reasoning even more quickly. When a fire hydrant of information is opened on you in med school, those who can't handle the level of science covered on the MCAT are just that more likely to not be able to catch up and drink up all the knowledge. (Keyword: likely, not impossible)

HOWEVER, when you start scoring >38, >40...what's that mean? You had enough money to condition yourself with as much practice material as you could get (and in the process figured out what patterns and styles that the MCAT questions are written in)? You're marginally better at reading long passages than the guy who got a 37 ("I finished my VR passage in 140 sec while you took 130 sec!!!!")? You just feel really comfortable sitting in a chair, staring at questions, and clicking buttons because that's what you've trained to do during your 10+ years of schooling? You could afford private classes and lessons (either for the MCAT especially or in college or even in secondary education) because your parents could throw that kind of cash around? Your life has been on a relatively straightforward path and Daddy paid for rent over the summer while all you did was soak up the AC, watch Netflix, and study without any other responsibilities to attend to? OR are you just like really good at multiple choice tests? If any of these presuppositions were true, it's still not that telling and doesn't add quite as much information about the applicant as that of a low scorer would to evaluators.

So yeah, a 41 is excellent, but no one cares. But it says very little at the margin. We don't need garbage thrown forcefully into people's faces.

Reactions: 3 users
Test Date: 08/07/2014
Time: 8AM
FL AAMC Average: 38.2 (14/11/13) (This was the average of the AAMC FLs I took the month leading up to the exam, earlier ones were retakes)
Post-test expected score: 38 +/- 2, conservatively 36 (12/11/13)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 36 (14/10/12)

Comments:
I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but I took the MCAT about a year ago and didn't really know what studying for it actually entailed, but scored reasonably well so just kept it. I took a bunch of classes in a post bac last year and was starting an SMP this fall (just had our first set of exams Monday!) and decided I could use the summer between to study and improve my MCAT score, since there isn't too much else I could do in a few months to strengthen my application. Anyway, here's my post exam thoughts:

PS felt like it had a similar number of "difficult" questions as practice exams, but the hard ones were way harder than normal. I expected something like a 12, since I figured I missed more of the "hard" questions than I normally do.
VR felt much easier than last year, where I drew a huge blank on two passages, but I ended up scoring exactly the same, so that was weird. I was expecting an 11 or 12. Apparently I can't estimate VR difficulty?
BS felt really easy, and I got a 13 on like every practice exam, so I was expecting that. I'm like 5 years out of orgo and didn't really study it nearly as much as the other stuff (I'm good with general principles, but forgot most of the specifics) so I think that could be where I lost points?

The fact that I did better on the harder feeling sections is interesting and it makes me wonder what "curve" there is to convert raw into scaled scores. (I know curve is the wrong word, but there is some conversion factor that isn't constant between exams).

Anyway, I know I shouldn't complain about a 36, but it's a little disappointing compared to my average (and I need as much as possible to draw attention away from my atrocious GPA). It's a good score though and it should do it's job and not keep me out of anywhere. It mostly comes down to my performance in the SMP now, I guess.

Thanks to everyone in the thread who has been here all summer and through this waiting period! It's been fun that this thread has been so active, even though I haven't posted that much.

Well guys, I got a 35 (12PS/11VR/12BS).

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit disappointed scoring 4 points from my average (~39), but I am grateful. I suffer from severe anxiety and I think the test really got to me.

BUT HEY, I GOT A NICE, BEAUTIFUL BALANCED SCORE AND I AM HAPPY! :)

I'm in almost exactly the same boat, so I understand. I really wanted my average, but feel bad complaining about a good score. But just remember, you've got a good score that will absolutely not be a limiting factor on your application. In fact, it'll get you into medical school if the rest of your application is up to par (which it probably is). Just focus on what you can change now, you'll do well! :)

What cycle are you applying, by the way?

lol no. It's not okay to "throw it in people's faces" and ridicule others for scoring lower and being disappointed about it. Newsflash: it's not acceptable; just like it's not acceptable if I made a new account and posted as my first post: "Yo, check out this 38 right here you guys are so stupid for having to b*tch about your score. What's white privilege? I'm from Southampton, Phi Beta Kappa at Princeton holla."

He got a great score? Great. He has a good GPA (speculation)? Cool story. So do hordes of other kids from top-tier colleges (probably more top-tier than wherever he goes, unless it's Harvard in which case that's just even more unfortunate).

So, to @top_tier_or_bust (who is most likely trolling but may have actually gotten that score): See you on the admissions battlefield, kid. You're not the only ones with big guns walking around, I guarantee you that. You're never the biggest gunner, so don't count on it. And most of us are more ruthless than you'd imagine, so get ready. I hope you're applying next cycle because it's gonna feel great to kick your a$$ when it admissions time rolls around. Pray; you'll need it.

well moop, based on some of your posts here, I wasn't sure what to think. but I appreciate you laying down the law. good luck on admissions.

Yep, and I am doing secondaries too.

Yeah guys, legitimate concern: Are we applying pretty late?!!!! When I signed up for the mcat, I knew it was a little late, but it seems more serious now after more people talking about it (in other threads, friends, etc.). I'm trying to get all my secondaries in the next two weeks - is that good?. I feel like all the interview spots will be filled because even though admissions might not be rolling, interviews are rolling. A high school friend is popping up constantly on my fb newsfeed saying he's going to interview here and interview there. So it feels like even with a pretty satisfactory score, we're at a pretty large disadvantage... :'(

Hey everyone! Wishing everyone the best on all sides of the experience. Here's mine:

Test Date: 08/07/2014
Time: 2PM
FL AAMC Average: 36
Post-test expected score: 37 (13,12,12)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 37 (14,13,10)

Observations
: Very pleased to have this done. Happy with PS and VR, both sections felt great on test day. Surprised to have one of my lower BS scores, since I only felt truly stumped by a few questions. In case anybody is reading this and planning to retake for VR, if I don't have time to post in 30+ thread: don't underestimate the value of learning to read fast! I practiced lots and lots this summer until I could finish VR in about 40 minutes, and it paid off on test day. Less time reading = more time figuring out how to correctly answer questions.

Applying first thing next cycle! It's been cool experiencing this with everyone, thank's y'all.

I'm so in shock right now I'm numb. I literally had to stare at the screen for minutes before I registered that that really was my score. Never have I scored that low on ANY practice test I've ever taken. I really don't know what to do now. It's actually slowly starting to hit me right now. I can't believe I put that much work into something and still did so badly. My average was pretty high, but this was totally not what I was expecting. I'm really, really sad right now because I feel like I have nothing to show for the summer because I was studying for this. I even pinched myself because I thought it was a bad nightmare that I would wake up from. I never would have thought I would score this low.

I feel like my life is in such a mess right now. I'm in school and have not brought any mcat study materials with me, and I really really do not want to take the new mcat. Plus, I've used up all the study materials I've had...and then there's the "what if I don't score higher than I did the first time?"

Sorry guys. I'm so sad right now I can't even think, so sorry for the rant. I'm crying alone in my room. I feel like no one understands. Perhaps I'm not cut out for med school.

I waited three years to retake the MCAT scoring terribly in 2011, only to improve in two areas that were low previously and drastically decrease in the area that was my strong point. Needless to say, I scored the EXACT same score. I know it hurts, trust me, but it's not an easy journey for some. The MCAT is not a good indication on the quality of physician you will be or your ability to succeed in medical school. It simply a test of your ability to apply concepts that were supposed to be taught to you at a given point in time. I am going to have to tuck my tail between my legs and take the January test. I may pull it together and try to take the November test. Either way, depending on what materials you used, if you want to PM me I can send you what I have used and I am more than willing to share.

Yeah guys, legitimate concern: Are we applying pretty late?!!!! When I signed up for the mcat, I knew it was a little late, but it seems more serious now after more people talking about it (in other threads, friends, etc.). I'm trying to get all my secondaries in the next two weeks - is that good?. I feel like all the interview spots will be filled because even though admissions might not be rolling, interviews are rolling. A high school friend is popping up constantly on my fb newsfeed saying he's going to interview here and interview there. So it feels like even with a pretty satisfactory score, we're at a pretty large disadvantage... :'(
Honestly, I'm not too worried about it. Either I'll get in this year or I will experience the cycle and know what I'm doing next year. The main thing I wanted was to try not to waste another year of my life not accomplishing my goals while my life passes me by, while also having my summer to study. I'm 31 already and tired of pretending to be passionate about teaching when I lost my spark for it the first year. I show up for the kids and the paycheck, but it's hard to keep my head up and I want to start my real life. I'm also seriously considering the SMP at UNT if I don't get in so I can at least be learning things I care about and getting started. We'll see what happens.

I'm in almost exactly the same boat, so I understand. I really wanted my average, but feel bad complaining about a good score. But just remember, you've got a good score that will absolutely not be a limiting factor on your application. In fact, it'll get you into medical school if the rest of your application is up to par (which it probably is). Just focus on what you can change now, you'll do well! :)

What cycle are you applying, by the way?

Thanks! Congrats on your excellent score. :) you definitely deserve it!!

Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to have a 4.0 cGPA, so from an academic standpoint, it definitely won't be a limiting factor. I'm applying in this cycle, but it works a little differently in Canada: applications are due October 1 and they aren't looked at until then, so there isn't really such thing as applying "late/early".

I talked to a good friend of mine who is currently in second year med, and she said: "getting into medical school is like jumping through random hoola hoops at the circus... you've made it through the MCAT hoop, now just keep your eye on the next hoop". So... on to the next hoop!!

Honestly, I'm not too worried about it. Either I'll get in this year or I will experience the cycle and know what I'm doing next year. The main thing I wanted was to try not to waste another year of my life not accomplishing my goals while my life passes me by, while also having my summer to study. I'm 31 already and tired of pretending to be passionate about teaching when I lost my spark for it the first year. I show up for the kids and the paycheck, but it's hard to keep my head up and I want to start my real life. I'm also seriously considering the SMP at UNT if I don't get in so I can at least be learning things I care about and getting started. We'll see what happens.
Now, cue Tangled, When Will My Life Begin? http://m.youtube.com/results?q=when will my life begin&sm=1

Down and out... Third time taking the mcat... 23 (10ps,6vr,7bs)

first time 22(7,7,8)
second time 19 (8,8,3) i kid you not on that bio
third and last 23 (10,6,7)

i'm pretty lost at the moment.

Is taking the MCAT a fourth time out of the question, even if you space it out? If not, I recommend taking it in November or January. That is when I am retaking. Like I told the previous poster, if you would like to PM me I have no problem sharing materials. Please don't let this discourage you. I have amazing friends who had to have the same talk with me yesterday! ;)

Wow. 7/7/7. So much worse than I expected.

How in the actual hell did I get a 7 on PS when I didn't know anything but breezed through Verbal? This is some BS.

I felt the same way about Verbal (I was certain I earned at least a 10) but ended up with a 9. PS? Didn't know anything, predicted a 7 and earned a 7. But BS?! I just knew I was going to at least earn a 9/10 but ended up with a 6. I have never scored that low in BS on practice exams! So I'm back to the drawing board. How are you going to re-up since we are in similar boats with being non-traditional, more seasoned (older? never!) students? I am debating on writing the Nov 7th exam but want to make sure I have enough time to prepare. I am leaning towards January 10th. I absolutely cannot take this new exam in April so this is my hail mary exam as well!

HOWEVER, when you start scoring >38, >40...what's that mean? You had enough money to condition yourself with as much practice material as you could get (and in the process figured out what patterns and styles that the MCAT questions are written in)?
You could afford private classes and lessons (either for the MCAT especially or in college or even in secondary education) because your parents could throw that kind of cash around? Your life has been on a relatively straightforward path and Daddy paid for rent over the summer while all you did was soak up the AC, watch Netflix, and study without any other responsibilities to attend to? OR are you just like really good at multiple choice tests? If any of these presuppositions were true, it's still not that telling and doesn't add quite as much information about the applicant as that of a low scorer would to evaluators.

I just want to bring to light not everyone who got >37 "had enough money" or had "parents [that] could throw that kind of cash around" for studying for the mcat. Not all of us are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, not even a wooden spoon. Some of us worked FU*******&^$&^%$******ing hard for a good score.

I worked the entire summer with classes to pay for the luxury to afford the AAMC practice tests. I networked/asked around as much as possible to find a friend who GAVE AWAY FOR FREE all the BR books, TPRH, EK, ect. I'm indeed in debt to him forever and I am so lucky. I did not take any private lessons/courses for the mcat - just self studied.

I grew up mostly on food stamps and in subsidized housing in a single-parent household and worked soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to get scholarships to pay for my university education at my public state school in Florida because my mother cannot afford it. I know this doesn't really center around your main point in your post, but I just want to bring to light that not everyone had Daddy to pay for rent and AC and netflix and mcat courses if they get a good score. I even had to give up following the SN2 schedule because it was too much. I couldn't do all the practice problems and didn't have the time due to work and other commitments. At times, I felt so defeated.

I guess your other presuppositions are true that maybe we're just good at multiple choice tests then. But I would say it's much more complicated and dynamic than that. A million factors goes into it. Anyways, I was NOT expecting in a million years to get a 38. At max, a 36 or 37 IF there was a TURE GOD haha. I was relying on my AAMC average of 35 because after compiling some rudimentary statistics, you should get your average, so I predicted that. I prayed for that. But I really felt like I got 33-34. However, as you said, a 38 is not much different than a 36 or 37. In fact, AAMC published a document for how medical schools should interpret your score and they said there is ~60% confidence that your "true" score is +/- 2 of your real score -- Not very confident in layman's terms. And a person who scored within 3 points of yourself could theoretically have your true score too (e.g a 35 can range from 33 to 37 and a person with a 38 can range from a 36 to 40. Both people overlap their true score range at 60% confidence). So I wholeheartedly agree that the difference between scores around yours and scores above a certain line is so marginal.

So again, I know you were trying to bring the higher-scorers back down to Earth, but it strikes me PARTICULARLY hard questioning and possibly assuming that if you get a ridiculously high score (and I mean I thought at the onset that people with 35+ were GODS), then it most likely means you come from money or are decently off. It may be true (and probably true for the majority), but saying that sort of belittles the fortunes of non-monetary valued happenings that others have come across. When I showed friends and family my scores, people LITERALLY (not in a figurative sense) screamed and wept. I'm in total shock still. And I thank you for the support of this forum. Truly.

Anyways, I'm sorry for what I said above/before, but thank you moop :)

EDIT: Just to be clear, I was definitely not arguing anything or taking offense with anybody's posts or sayings, but setting up a platform/saop box to let people know what I said above. Of course on the Internets, anything you say, even with good intentions, someone will have something else (and possibly taking offense) to say about that lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Test date: 8/7/2014
Time: 2 pm
AAMC average: 30.5
Post test expected score: 30
Actual score: 10/10/10

Let me do this more formally. I was really hoping that my average was lower due to the first few practice tests being lower because it was the first couple of times actually sitting down and taking the test. The last four exams I saw an upward rise in my scores. My bio was consistently over 10, so I was hoping for at least an 11 in Bio and I was really hoping I got a full grasp on PS.

At this point, I'm lost as what to do. My GPA is a 3.5, which in my opinion is borderline. Should I study and then retake? Then again the score is very even; I don't have any glaring weaknesses. What would I even do better in?

I just want to bring to light not everyone who got >37 "had enough money" or had "parents [that] could throw that kind of cash around" for studying for the mcat. Not all of us are born with a silver spoon in their mouth, not even a wooden spoon. Some of us worked FU*******&^$&^%$******ing hard for a good score.

I worked the entire summer with classes to pay for the luxury to afford the AAMC practice tests. I networked/asked around as much as possible to find a friend who GAVE AWAY FOR FREE all the BR books, TPRH, EK, ect. I'm indeed in debt to him forever and I am so lucky. I did not take any private lessons/courses for the mcat - just self studied.

I grew up mostly on food stamps and in subsidized housing in a single-parent household and worked soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to get scholarships to pay for my university education at my public state school in Florida because my mother cannot afford it. I know this doesn't really center around your main point in your post, but I just want to bring to light that not everyone had Daddy to pay for rent and AC and netflix and mcat courses if they get a good score. I even had to give up following the SN2 schedule because it was too much. I couldn't do all the practice problems and didn't have the time due to work and other commitments. At times, I felt so defeated.

I guess your other presuppositions are true that maybe we're just good at multiple choice tests then. But I would say it's much more complicated and dynamic than that. A million factors goes into it. Anyways, I was NOT expecting in a million years to get a 38. At max, a 36 or 37 IF there was a TURE GOD haha. I was relying on my AAMC average of 35 because after compiling some rudimentary statistics, you should get your average, so I predicted that. I prayed for that. But I really felt like I got 33-34. However, as you said, a 38 is not much different than a 36 or 37. In fact, AAMC published a document for how medical schools should interpret your score and they said there is ~60% confidence that your "true" score is +/- 2 of your real score -- Not very confident in layman's terms. And a person who scored within 3 points of yourself could theoretically have your true score too (e.g a 35 can range from 33 to 37 and a person with a 38 can range from a 36 to 40. Both people overlap their true score range at 60% confidence). So I wholeheartedly agree that the difference between scores around yours and scores above a certain line is so marginal.

So again, I know you were trying to bring the higher-scorers back down to Earth, but it strikes me PARTICULARLY hard questioning and possibly assuming that if you get a ridiculously high score (and I mean I thought at the onset that people with 35+ were GODS), then it most likely means you come from money or are decently off. It may be true (and probably true for the majority), but saying that sort of belittles the fortunes of non-monetary valued happenings that others have come across. When I showed friends and family my scores, people LITERALLY (not in a figurative sense) screamed and wept. I'm in total shock still. And I thank you for the support of this forum. Truly.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I was definitely not arguing anything or taking offense with anybody's posts or sayings, but setting up a platform/saop box to let people know what I said above. Of course on the Internets, anything you say, even with good intentions, someone will have something else (and possibly taking offense) to say about that lol

A lot of us worked really hard for our scores. Two years ago I couldn't have made close to a 30, much less high 30's. I worked almost full time through college, and more than full time after college. Scoring well on the MCAT meant lots of practice, and carrying an MCAT book around 24 hours a day, cramming in as much as possible with any 15 minute gap. Borrowed MCAT books, checked out MCAT books from the library, asked for help, practiced, studied. Hard work wins! That said, more power to you if you dominated with help, nothing wrong with that!

Out of curiosity, anyone surprised by their score in a given section considering questions you know you missed. What I'm trying to get at is, do you think the "curve" or "scale" is a little bit more lenient than AAMC or would you say it's on par? Doubt anyone would answer, but I'm curious to know! :)
I was kind of shocked by the PS because I know of at least 2-3 I missed and should have gotten and I straight up guessed on two passages. Still got an 11. I guess all of the others I answered were correct maybe... I was shocked by VR only because I never do that well in it (got a 10). BS score of 11 feels pretty much on track of what I was thinking.

A lot of us worked really hard for our scores. Two years ago I couldn't have made close to a 30, much less high 30's. I worked almost full time through college, and more than full time after college. Scoring well on the MCAT meant lots of practice, and carrying an MCAT book around 24 hours a day, cramming in as much as possible with any 15 minute gap. Borrowed MCAT books, checked out MCAT books from the library, asked for help, practiced, studied. Hard work wins! That said, more power to you if you dominated with help, nothing wrong with that!

Hey mad props to you too :biglove:great score :banana:

That guy is a huge dick and is probably going to get burned in med school but this made me LOL. There's really no "ruthlessness" once you've filled out your AMCAS (contrary to popular belief, most pre meds are pretty nice people) and I'd hardly call a 3.7X "big guns."

Any thoughts on how to raise verbal score within a month? I honestly didn't study at all for this section besides taking practice tests and going over them. I scored a 7 on verbal (breakdown was 7/10/11 = 28). I was averaging a solid 8... I scored a 9 here and there, and a 7 once. I'd be happy to boost that up to a 9 on my retake.

Well, this thread certainly gained a few nasty bumps in the road awfully quick. What happened to all that comradery we had going before the scores came out?

Any thoughts on how to raise verbal score within a month? I honestly didn't study at all for this section besides taking practice tests and going over them. I scored a 7 on verbal (breakdown was 7/10/11 = 28). I was averaging a solid 8... I scored a 9 here and there, and a 7 once. I'd be happy to boost that up to a 9 on my retake.

I've heard people praise Princeton Review's verbal, and others will tell you just to start reading anything you can get your hands on to beef up your vocabulary. (magazines, newspapers, articles on google news, pretty much anything where the journalism major that is writing it is going to want to use his high brow fancypants words) Personally I think it's a crap shoot, I did practice passages this summer that I just shook my head at the rational behind some of the answers.

i made 10s on two exams. I don't know exactly how I did it because I suck at verbal, but ill tell you what I personally did that may help. nothing earth shattering, but read the question stems REAL QUICK before each passage. even if it only helps you get 1 question real quick it will help. pay attention to stuff like people's names, dates, and opinions. and don't worry this wont take up much time, 30 seconds tops as long as you read them quick.

Long time lurker, thought I'd add in my thoughts.

I got a 26, unfortunately (8P 8V 10B). After my day of depression and crying and hysteria, I thought about what I did wrong, and I believe I focused too much on content review and not passage question practice, which made my rush my last few weeks of study. At the end of the day, though, it's still my own fault and I am uber depressed and disappointed in myself.

When it came time to the test I let anxiety set in as well, not helpful.

Anyway I was trying to figure out what to do (I am a Canadian, btw, and I want to attend lower-mid American schools as I want to also move to America)... While a lot of people are saying take the old one if you can, and I would have taken the January one, I really don't want to risk adding MCAT ontop of my 4th year courses (I did bad in my first two years, and REALLY pulled it up last year, and I need to keep that going). So I am gonna take the new one either in July or August.

Now I don't think this is the right thread to ask this, but I haven't taken intro psych or sociology (I am taking childhood psych and social psych this year). I know Kaplan and Princeton have out out prep books, do you guys think those will be sufficient?

Long time lurker, thought I'd add in my thoughts.

I got a 26, unfortunately (8P 8V 10B). After my day of depression and crying and hysteria, I thought about what I did wrong, and I believe I focused too much on content review and not passage question practice, which made my rush my last few weeks of study. At the end of the day, though, it's still my own fault and I am uber depressed and disappointed in myself.

When it came time to the test I let anxiety set in as well, not helpful.

Anyway I was trying to figure out what to do (I am a Canadian, btw, and I want to attend lower-mid American schools as I want to also move to America)... While a lot of people are saying take the old one if you can, and I would have taken the January one, I really don't want to risk adding MCAT ontop of my 4th year courses (I did bad in my first two years, and REALLY pulled it up last year, and I need to keep that going). So I am gonna take the new one either in July or August.

Now I don't think this is the right thread to ask this, but I haven't taken intro psych or sociology (I am taking childhood psych and social psych this year). I know Kaplan and Princeton have out out prep books, do you guys think those will be sufficient?
Most likely the answer you get from this thread would be very subjective and most likely pure speculation. I would suggest digging into the 2015 MCAT info provided directly from the AAMC to answer this question.

Hi, all!
First time poster, but a consistent lurker.
Test date: 8/7/2014
Time: 8am
AAMC average: 35.42 (retook)
Post test expected score: 31-32
Actual score: 35 (10ps/12v/13bs)

Congratulations to everyone that got a score they are happy with! To those that did not, do not lose hope! This was a retake and a vast improvement from my initial exam. In case anyone is interested, I first took it in Jan 2014 and got a 27 (8, 9, 10) while my aamc average was a 30. I studied for about 1.5 months (during winter break and a little during school) and basically went through an examkrackers course going through all of the books and taking all of the in-class practice exams. I also did the 1001 questions for gen chem and physics in my weak areas. I did all of the aamc fl tests as I was studying.

This time around, I studied this summer starting mid-May. I had a friend's princeton online account and basically went through the course by myself reading a chapter or 2 a day and doing all of the online practice passages. At the same time, I did all of the gen chem and physics Berkley review chapters and practice passages over the weekends of the same content in Princeton since I really wanted to raise my ps score. I didn't touch verbal until July and did a couple of passages from either princeton hyperlearning or examkrackers 101 everyday. I finished content review at the end of June, and did practice tests (7aamc and 5 princeton) every 3-5 days during July. I was worried that my aamc scores would be inflated, some of them were but others I think were very representative. Also, the princeton tests were not representative of my score at all! I was averaging a 28 on them and used it mostly for pacing/content weaknesses. This time around, I noticed the wording of the mcat writers and tried more to think like them when answering questions.

I hope this gives people some sense of hope! Good luck to all in the application cycle!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

1. Skim questions first, so you have a rough idea of why you're reading the passage, instead of trying to absorb everything.
2. Practice speed reading. Aim for 2 minute read time per passage. That way you have time to revisit it if needed when doing problems.
3. Practice like heck! Read minimum 5,000 words per day (should not take more than 20-30 min). Do all the passages you can, then review every one.

I felt the same way about Verbal (I was certain I earned at least a 10) but ended up with a 9. PS? Didn't know anything, predicted a 7 and earned a 7. But BS?! I just knew I was going to at least earn a 9/10 but ended up with a 6. I have never scored that low in BS on practice exams! So I'm back to the drawing board. How are you going to re-up since we are in similar boats with being non-traditional, more seasoned (older? never!) students? I am debating on writing the Nov 7th exam but want to make sure I have enough time to prepare. I am leaning towards January 10th. I absolutely cannot take this new exam in April so this is my hail mary exam as well!

Hey man, you can feel free to shoot me a PM if you want but in general once I calmed my brain I decided October was insane (no November within 5 states of me) and I'm taking the last possible 2014 MCAT January 21(ish?). I'm throwing everything I have into it so that I know if I shot for the change of career and missed I can never say I didn't give it my all. I'm taking a friend's advice and not looking at a damn thing med related this week except maybe organizing some books/index cards and then come Monday I put boots to pavement and do passages passages passages.

That guy is a huge dick and is probably going to get burned in med school but this made me LOL. There's really no "ruthlessness" once you've filled out your AMCAS (contrary to popular belief, most pre meds are pretty nice people) and I'd hardly call a 3.7X "big guns."
...oh my. :lol: If you took that last paragraph of the post seriously, then I'm the one LOLing. There wasn't much more I could do to make the sarcasm and unnecessary aggressiveness more apparent in that post. In any case, I said "most of us," meaning the premed group at large, not me personally. I have no problem sitting on my current GPA from a grade deflating school.

Oh yah you didn't need 6 paragraphs to tell me that, no way, but good to leave that there for posterity. I was speaking generally that a super high score AT THE MARGIN (if not under marginal analysis, none of this makes much sense) is not much to brag about like that dickhead was doing. That's all! Practically speaking the higher the better for the MCAT, and everyone who scores well above their expectations (whether it be 30/35/42) deserves recognition, but never to be out on a pedestal created by oneself, no way.