The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After a fabulous thread, I'm purposely saying a fond farewell to my brothers and sisters on this thread in hopes of ending on the positive note we began on. Congratulations for making it through! However, "beyond mountains, there are mountains," as the Haitian proverb says. As I conquer mountains, I will always remember the journey we traveled together. Thanks for being a place I could vent when my family was sick of hearing it.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not good with goodbyes..so I'll continue to comment once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah after going through some experience like this, we should all be mature enough to be able to ignore trolls haha. Its been real though :)

I'm not good with goodbyes..so I'll continue to comment once a week.
lol good luck with that after being stupid enough to create a second account using almost the same handle and literally the same avatar. Good job

It doesn't even count as trolling because it wasn't even smart or witty or anything lololol

Okay with this thread dying down, I wanted to end with the final statistics. This is for future test takers of the old mcat and is intended to be informational. Please take this with a grain of salt though, as this is an observational study (possibly badly done too since I'm not a social scientist and not a person who usually does observational studies). This is not a true experiment. Nothing was manipulated and data was collected only from posters of this thread. Nobody privately messaged me, so all the data is right here for others to reproduce.
Quoted below are posts that talked about the statistics. Then after that are the final outcomes.

So I counted...
20 total unique people took the 8am test and had it scored
46 total unique people took the 2pm test and had it scored
2 voided and did not have the exam scored

When the 2pm-ers started posting, unless the user stated what time they took it, I assumed it was 2pm. Also, I only counted from page 31 onwards using the people who chimed in their thoughts on the exam.

I have the list of users if someone wants me to post it to double check I missed someone or put someone in the wrong time. Maybe later we can update the list showing next to our name what our predicted, AAMC avg, and actual scores are. That'll be easier for people later on to see in one spot how this test date was and get a better feel for how the numbers correlate with one another....like if people actaully score +/- 2 from their AAMC avg (of course it is a small, non-random sample selection size -- users of SDN on this particular testing date and times. And it is not a "true" experiment as my Research Methods prof went on so many rants about, so take it with a grain of salt )

lol. Predicting <30% response rate if this actually happens (mostly because people didn't perform up to par and don't want others to know).

^But that's the thing, if a lot of people are reluctant to contribute because they bomb it, we'll know that too. I averaged 35.3 on AAMC, but now I feel like I got like a 29. That will be sooo embarrassing and y'all will laugh, but nobody knows me. It's just an online forum. I'll move on. If that happens to quite a few people, it at least shows that maybe the AAMC practice exams aren't a great of a resource for predicting your score as we thought (I highly doubt that's the case). And if many don't contribute, we'll have a better understanding of the representation of score posters (informing us to what extent do people with really high scores post here, making us all feel badly). See, regardless, even the lack of information can tell us something!

In all the "Official [date] Mcat threads" the result scores are scattered everywhere. IDK if there's ever been a tally of people who posted predicting their scores and then never respond later after scores come out. But, we all know sdn is not the average community of exam takers. And this date is probably not even representative of sdn test takers either. But it gives us an idea. Like are 40% of posters scoring 35+ and the actual percent should be ~5% based on the published data by AAMC. Or is it closer to 10% informing us that we aren't that far off of usual test takers. Also note that there were a couple people in the list above that it was basically their first time posting (basically like me, even though I posted like two times years ago as a lurker, but that's beside the fact). They might forget about this thread and never post because of that reason too, not because they bomb it.

Hey guys, so I tallied up and updated some stuff. I looked through pages 31 to current of this thread...and if you want to add to the information and haven't posted your prediction/AAMC average, post it or message me (try not to give ranges if possible). If you want to be anonymous, let me know. If you gave a range prediction and not a single score, I took the median of that (e.g. 28-32 would be a 30). If you gave a range score by section, I converted that to a total range and then to a median score (e.g. PS 9-11 VS 10-11 BS: 11 would be 30-33. Rounded up, it would be 32). If you said "I'm hoping/shooting for a 30+" after you chimed in how you felt you did on the exam, I did not include that as a prediction.

8am:
Total people: 20
AAMC average: 31.8 (responses from 5 people, 25%)
Prediction: 30.7 (responses from 6 people, 30%)

2pm:
Total People: 50
AAMC average: 32.6 (responses from 10 people, 20%)
Prediction: 28.9 (responses from 14 people, 28%)

^I sort of delineated it in my previous posts, but it's mainly to get a feel for how users of sdn perform. That, and I like playing with numbers.

-testing to see if the AAMC average predicts the actual score within +/- 2
-to see if the posters of sdn are indeed above average on the mcat
-see how large of a response rate we get. People that perform well are more likely to self report their scores than those who do not perform as well. So take what scores you see here with a grain of salt. Possibly a very small grain of salt. Just one sodium ion and one chlorine ion compounded together. haha
-maybe see how morning compares to afternoon?

View attachment 185252
So this is what the graph will look like when we get our real scores. All I'll need to do is fill that in. Right now, the green bars are just the predicted scores. The purple bars are the expected number of people receiving such a score. I used data from the published 2013 percentile ranks and based on a total population of 70 individuals taking the mcat in this thread. For example, 6.1% of individuals in 2013 scored a 27. This translates to 4.27 of the 70 people in this thread scoring a 27, assuming a 100% response rate.

I decided to use number of individuals instead of percentages (which is how AAMC presents their data) because our sample population size is so small that the data is going to be very discrete and look less continuous. I rounded the expected scores too for the same reason. We don't expect 4.27 people to get a 27. That doesn't make sense when we are doing a comparison at such a discrete level. It's just easier to present and comprehend the data at a glance this way.

And as you can see, not really anyone is expected to get above a 38 if we were the normal population of test takers. So we'll see about that.

View attachment 185298
Grey background bars: Expected score distribution for a population of 74 people
Blue bars: Predicted Scores
Red bars: AAMC average scores (rounded, e.g. 29.5 = 30, 35.3 = 35)

Total aggregate of people: 74
AAMC avg: 32.5, standard dev 3.4 (25 responses, 34%)
Predicted: 29.6, standard dev 3.6 (31 responses, 42%)

8am:
Total people: 22
AAMC avg: 32.6, standard dev 3.2 (10 responses, 45%)
Predicted: 30.4, standard dev 2.5 (11 responses, 50%)

8am:
Total people: 52
AAMC avg: 32.4, standard dev 3.6 (15 responses, 29%)
Predicted: 29.3, standard dev 4.1 (20 responses, 38%)

2 voided

So what do ya guys think? This will be my last update before the scores come out. Quite a few more people gave me their averages/predictions, so I wanted to include them here and now.

Understandably, people are predicting their scores to be 2-3 points lower than their AAMC averages. When scores come out and when comparing AAMC averages to actual scores, I'll only compare individuals who gave both scores of course. Both exam times have about the same AAMC average (32.5) but 2pm is predicting a worse and more variable outcome than 8am.

Since people posted way back and one guy was banned (I have his prediction but not his AAMC avg), they might not post their scores. Some will forget about this thread and some will be unable to post anymore. Also, it is expected new people will post. Therefore, we're looking at a lower response rate than now, possibly 25 to 35 percent.

Hope this is all informative for y'all!!

Untitled.jpg

Grey background bars: Expected score distribution for a population of 107 people. Based on AAMC published data of all 2013 test takers.
Gold bars: Actual exam scores from August 7th, 2014 - 8am and 2pm exam times

8am:
Total People: 30

AAMC Average 33.0, st. dev 3.2 (21 responses, 70% response rate)
Predicted 31.3 st. dev 3.4 (20 responses, 67% response rate)
Actual 32.5 st. dev 3.9 (20 responses, 67% response rate)

2pm:
Total people: 77

AAMC Average 31.3, st. dev 3.8 (40 responses, 52% response rate)
Predicted 29.4 st. dev 4.0 (40 responses, 52% response rate)
Actual 31.9 st. dev 4.8 (47 responses, 61% response rate)

Both Times:
Total people: 107

AAMC Average 31.9 , st. dev 3.7 (61 responses, 57% response rate)
Predicted 30.0, st. dev 3.9 (60 responses, 56% response rate)
Actual 32.1, st. dev 4.5 (67 responses, 63% response rate)

I kept track of people who joined the conversation after scores were released and old posters who have been a part of this thread before scores were released. I found no significant difference between the groups. So, people who appear out of nowhere on this thread once scores are released do not necessarily have insane scores (35+). There is a fair share of new posters who have lower scores too to balance out. We just tend to remember those 41s and 42s who come out of nowhere and not the 25s or 26s who add their posts into the thread.

Also important, I noted nine individuals who either have been a part of this thread pretty diligently and all of a sudden disappeared once scores were posted or individuals who have noted in their posts that they scored pretty low and understandably don't feel comfortable posting their scores. So the actual score average might be a little lower, and this might come into play for the analysis of the next paragraph. If all those people scored 10 points below their average, then yeah, we might have a problem. But I've seen quite a few people (not necessarily in this thread) scoring averages of 25s, expect a 30+, but actually got a 25. Thankfully those people posted their scores and made me realize those individuals exist too. So keep in mind, a person might not say their score because THEY feel it's below their expectation, even if it might be a good score or their score is to be expected. Therefore, I believe the actual averages will not significantly change due to the nine individuals. Some might have relatively good scores (30+), but were below their expectations

I compared AAMC averages with Actual scores from people who gave BOTH scores, not just one or the other. Overall there was no difference. 2pm's actual score was 0.7 points above their AAMC average and 8am was exactly the same. So no difference. It can be inferred that you will score your AAMC average. Trust your average! In fact, 14 people out of 55 people (25%) who gave me both scores scored the EXACT same AAMC average (after rounding the aamc average). That's quite a significant number of people. Fortunately, I scored 3 points above my average :p However, my last two AAMC practice exams I took were a 39 and 37 (AAMC 9 and 8 respectively), and the average of those two was my actual score. I am so lucky. Thank you all who supported me :luck: :soexcited:

Now in contrast, the mean difference between the AAMC average (not rounded) and Actual score was +0.47 (st. dev 2.34). The mean absolute difference was 1.88 (st. dev 1.45). So if I am interpreting this right, even though on average people pretty much score their exact AAMC average (as suggested by the previous paragraph), if you look at the absolute difference, it suggests otherwise. People tend to score about +/- 1.88 from their average. However, we predicted that people tend to score +/- 2 from their AAMC average, which isn't bad, and the data supports that!

In one sentence: Most likely, people will score their AAMC average, BUT on average, people will score +/- 1.88 from their AAMC average. Hope that makes sense.

Think of a bell curve centered around your average. The peak of the curve is your mode, which is your average. You are most likely to score your mode/average and you are most likely to stay within 2 points of your average. However, don't fret if you score +/- 3 or 4. Keep in mind it is a possibility, but a little less likely (the standard deviation of the absolute difference is 1.45, 1.88+1.45 = +/- 3.33)

Also note 8am was not necessarily easier than 2pm. Look at the AAMC averages from both times and compare to their respective actual scores. They are about the same. More people might have done slightly worse in 2pm than 8am, but those people were slightly worse exam takers to begin with.

Furthermore, we had about a 60% response rate of posters who posted at least one message saying they took this exam. This is good news! We were expecting like around 30% and not even close to 60% at best.

Finally, SDN exam takers are indeed above average. We have a mean, median, and mode of 32! Great Job!!! Proud of y'all, even those who might not have gotten what they wished for :biglove:

Hope this is very informative! Peace out. Back to being a lurker, that is if I am ever on here again.:hello::hello::hello:

Last edited:
Reactions: 39 users
Damn, how long did it take you to do all of this? this thread should be archived for posterity

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like Thoroughbred started it April 22nd. 4 and a half months. :)
Congratulations! on your score. You did very well. I would be ecstatic with that score. And I recognize a few names like muscx1 etc., from this thread. Congratulations to you all. Can some of you jump on to Oct 25 thread and wake up some of them folks.....ha ha...

Okay with this thread dying down, I wanted to end with the final statistics. This is for future test takers of the old mcat and is intended to be informational. Please take this with a grain of salt though, as this is an observational study (possibly badly done too since I'm not a social scientist and not a person who usually does observational studies). This is not a true experiment. Nothing was manipulated and data was collected only from posters of this thread. Nobody privately messaged me, so all the data is right here for others to reproduce.
Quoted below are posts that talked about the statistics. Then after that are the final outcomes.

View attachment 185431
Grey background bars: Expected score distribution for a population of 107 people. Based on AAMC published data of all 2013 test takers.

8am:

2pm:

Both Times:

I kept track of people who joined the conversation after scores were released and old posters who have been a part of this thread before scores were released. I found no significant difference between the groups. So, people who appear out of nowhere on this thread once scores are released do not necessarily have insane scores (35+). There is a fair share of new posters who have lower scores too to balance out. We just tend to remember those 41s and 42s who come out of nowhere and not the 25s or 26s who add their posts into the thread.

Also important, I noted nine individuals who either have been a part of this thread pretty diligently and all of a sudden disappeared once scores were posted or individuals who have noted in their posts that they scored pretty low and understandably don't feel comfortable posting their scores. So the actual score average might be a little lower, and this might come into play for the analysis of the next paragraph. If all those people scored 10 points below their average, then yeah, we might have a problem. But I've seen quite a few people (not necessarily in this thread) scoring averages of 25s, expect a 30+, but actually got a 25. Thankfully those people posted their scores and made me realize those individuals exist too. So keep in mind, a person might not say their score because THEY feel it's below their expectation, even if it might be a good score or their score is to be expected. Therefore, I believe the actual averages will not significantly change due to the nine individuals. Some might have relatively good scores (30+), but were below their expectations

I compared AAMC averages with Actual scores from people who gave BOTH scores, not just one or the other. Overall there was no difference. 2pm's actual score was 0.7 points above their AAMC average and 8am was exactly the same. So no difference. It can be inferred that you will score your AAMC average. Trust your average! In fact, 14 people out of 55 people (25%) who gave me both scores scored the EXACT same AAMC average (after rounding the aamc average). That's quite a significant number of people. Fortunately, I scored 3 points above my average :p However, my last two AAMC practice exams I took were a 39 and 37 (AAMC 9 and 8 respectively), and the average of those two was my actual score. I am so lucky. Thank you all who supported me :luck: :soexcited:

Now in contrast, the mean difference between the AAMC average (not rounded) and Actual score was +0.47 (st. dev 2.34). The mean absolute difference was 1.88 (st. dev 1.45). So if I am interpreting this right, even though on average people pretty much score their exact AAMC average (as suggested by the previous paragraph), if you look at the absolute difference, it suggests otherwise. People tend to score about +/- 1.88 from their average. However, we predicted that people tend to score +/- 2 from their AAMC average, which isn't bad, and the data supports that!

In one sentence: Most likely, you will score your AAMC average, BUT on average, you will score +/- 1.88 from your AAMC average. Hope that makes sense.

Think of a bell curve centered around your average. The peak of the curve is your mode, which is your average and you are most likely to stay within 1.88 points of your average

Also note 8am was not necessarily easier than 2pm. Look at the AAMC averages from both times and compare to their respective actual scores. They are about the same. More people might have done slightly worse in 2pm than 8am, but those people were slightly worse exam takers to begin with.

Furthermore, we had about a 60% response rate of posters who posted at least one message saying they took this exam. This is good news! We were expecting like around 30% and not even close to 60% at best.

Finally, SDN exam takers are indeed above average. We have a mean, median, and mode of 32! Great Job!!! Proud of y'all, even those who might not have gotten what they wished for :biglove:

Hope this is very informative! Peace out. Back to being a lurker, that is if I am ever on here again.:hello::hello::hello:

You are incredible!!!!! :bow:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! on your score. You did very well. I would be ecstatic with that score. And I recognize a few names like muscx1 etc., from this thread. Congratulations to you all. Can some of you jump on to Oct 25 thread and wake up some of them folks.....ha ha...
Me? Thank you! My 31 isn't much compared to some of these lovely people around here, but I'm certainly satisfied. Matriculant median! Whoo hoo !

Damn, how long did it take you to do all of this? this thread should be archived for posterity
It didn't take that long. Didn't do it all at once. Maybe 30min per day since scores were released.

You are incredible!!!!! :bow:

@TonyTonyChopper

Great analysis! Thanks for all your work!!!

This was a great test date from which to draw data since this thread was so active.

No problem. I find this stuff really interesting anyways. :)

Last edited:
Really fascinating post by @TonyTonyChopper, but what really got me was this:

Also important, I noted nine individuals who either have been a part of this thread pretty diligently and all of a sudden disappeared once scores were posted or individuals who have noted in their posts that they scored pretty low and understandably don't feel comfortable posting their scores.

That's pretty depressing.

It didn't take that long. Didn't do it all at once. Maybe 30min per day since scores were released.

No problem. I find this stuff really interesting anyways. :)
If you ever get bored, the August 27th thread is excited to have you, haha.. ..although it probably wouldn't be as insightful since we're not nearly as active as this day was. I think this was the most jam packed test date of the year.

For those of you who did well, congrats on being done! If not, don't despair. I retook and ended up improving by 10 points, so it's definitely possible with the right approach and work ethic. If any of you have any questions, need some personal advice, or just want to talk, feel free to PM me! Best of luck with all of your endeavors!

:banana::banana::banana:

:hello::hello::hello:

View attachment 185431

8am:

2pm:

Both Times:

In one sentence: Most likely, you will score your AAMC average, BUT on average, you will score +/- 1.88 from your AAMC average. Hope that makes sense.

Think of a bell curve centered around your average. The peak of the curve is your mode, which is your average. You are most likely to score your mode/average and you are most likely to stay within 2 points of your average. However, don't fret if you score +/- 3 or 4. Keep in mind it is a possibility, but a little less likely (the standard deviation of the absolute difference is 1.45, 1.88+1.45 = +/- 3.33)

Excellent work...just the fact that you followed through with what you said you were going to do is impressive. I hope to work with you one day.

Reactions: 2 users
GOOD NEWS. aamc e mailed me today. they're gonna send me my gift card! I take back almost every bad thing I said about them

Reactions: 4 users
Because you guys were my first thread family, you are the people I want to celebrate with. I got my first interview!!!

Reactions: 9 users
...just like it's not acceptable if I made a new account and posted as my first post: "Yo, check out this 38 right here you guys are so stupid for having to b*tch about your score. What's white privilege? I'm from Southampton, Phi Beta Kappa at Princeton holla."
/QUOTE]

One of the least subtle humble brags....

But poin

Last edited:
One of the least subtle humble brags....

But actually though people are not gonna like our school if we say stuff like that even if it's to prove a counterpoin
lol dude no.
1) Don't have a 38.
2) Not white.
3) Not from Southampton (that's the worst Hampton anyway).
4) Not PBK (lmao)

In any case, though, I think the best medicine to counterpoint arrogant posts (in the funniest way possible on SDN) is to really one-up them on being arrogant and a braggart. Doesn't even matter if you like about 80% of it like I did. Beat 'em at their own game, ya know. It just ticks them off more and that's more satisfying than I can ask for.

Is anyone applying this cycle? I took the test in August so that I wouldn't be a late applicant, but here I am....I'm still doing the secondaries...0_0

We're in the same boat my fellow September applicant. My the applications gods smile upon us in our tardiness! (according to SDN standards.)

Also, I'd chime in that the MCAT is more revealing about those who score low rather than those who get astronomically high.

If you can't break 25 repeatedly, you probably just have to face the fact at some point that maybe, just maybe, you weren't cut out for medicine and the academic rigor that the rest of your career will require. The MCAT is flawed, but at a fundamental level it tests examinees' abilities to absorb new information quickly, critically dissect and utilize that information in a new context just as quickly, and come to conclusions through critical thinking and reasoning even more quickly. When a fire hydrant of information is opened on you in med school, those who can't handle the level of science covered on the MCAT are just that more likely to not be able to catch up and drink up all the knowledge. (Keyword: likely, not impossible)

HOWEVER, when you start scoring >38, >40...what's that mean? You had enough money to condition yourself with as much practice material as you could get (and in the process figured out what patterns and styles that the MCAT questions are written in)? You're marginally better at reading long passages than the guy who got a 37 ("I finished my VR passage in 140 sec while you took 130 sec!!!!")? You just feel really comfortable sitting in a chair, staring at questions, and clicking buttons because that's what you've trained to do during your 10+ years of schooling? You could afford private classes and lessons (either for the MCAT especially or in college or even in secondary education) because your parents could throw that kind of cash around? Your life has been on a relatively straightforward path and Daddy paid for rent over the summer while all you did was soak up the AC, watch Netflix, and study without any other responsibilities to attend to? OR are you just like really good at multiple choice tests? If any of these presuppositions were true, it's still not that telling and doesn't add quite as much information about the applicant as that of a low scorer would to evaluators.

So yeah, a 41 is excellent, but no one cares. But it says very little at the margin. We don't need garbage thrown forcefully into people's faces.

Moop, I gotta say, I resent your disdain for people who prepped in accordance with the what their life circumstances afforded them. I'm not saying its alright for top tier or bust to flaunt around his grade like a peacock, but do not discredit the honest and hard efforts put forth by students who did well on the MCAT and were able to enjoy privileges that their parents worked to give them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And you have no idea what other struggles they might be dealing with. I hope that you don't truly embrace the degree of callousness towards this class of students. I do, however, agree that the MCAT is flawed to the extent that you've commented on. And I agree that lower-middle ranged scores are more telling about the applicant to than would be the higher tier of scores.

Moop, I gotta say, I resent your disdain for people who prepped in accordance with the what their life circumstances afforded them. I'm not saying its alright for top tier or bust to flaunt around his grade like a peacock, but do not discredit the honest and hard efforts put forth by students who did well on the MCAT and were able to enjoy privileges that their parents worked to give them.

Says the guy with the Squilliam avatar :laugh:.

Moop, I gotta say, I resent your disdain for people who prepped in accordance with the what their life circumstances afforded them. I'm not saying its alright for top tier or bust to flaunt around his grade like a peacock, but do not discredit the honest and hard efforts put forth by students who did well on the MCAT and were able to enjoy privileges that their parents worked to give them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And you have no idea what other struggles they might be dealing with. I hope that you don't truly embrace the degree of callousness towards this class of students. I do, however, agree that the MCAT is flawed to the extent that you've commented on. And I agree that lower-middle ranged scores are more telling about the applicant to than would be the higher tier of scores.
I've addressed those criticisms in the intervening pages already, but my main points were those you agree with, so it looks like we aight

I've been a long time lurker, but I'm going to post for the first time! :)
Reading this thread has been emotionally comforting and I want to thank everyone for sharing their information.

Test Date: 08/07/2014
Time: 8am
FL AAMC Average: 33 (11/09/13)
Post-test expected score: Honestly didn't want to put a number…anywhere from 24-33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 31 (12/08/11)

This is my first official MCAT. I studied pretty hard for 5 weeks. I did the Berkley review book set (only odd passages) and a couple of AAMC practice tests.Okay, so I knew I thoroughly messed up on 1 passage in PS and 1 passage in BS (orgo)…plus I missed a couple of super easy questions in BS!!! I actually thought VR wasn't as bad as some of the passages in the practice tests (readable), but I still didn't perform so well (not surprised, since 10 was my highest score ever from the practice).I'm thinking about retaking MCAT, since I absolutely would want to avoid the new MCAT...

I've been a long time lurker, but I'm going to post for the first time! :)
Reading this thread has been emotionally comforting and I want to thank everyone for sharing their information.

Test Date: 08/07/2014
Time: 8am
FL AAMC Average: 33 (11/09/13)
Post-test expected score: Honestly didn't want to put a number…anywhere from 24-33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 31 (12/08/11)

This is my first official MCAT. I studied pretty hard for 5 weeks. I did the Berkley review book set (only odd passages) and a couple of AAMC practice tests.Okay, so I knew I thoroughly messed up on 1 passage in PS and 1 passage in BS (orgo)…plus I missed a couple of super easy questions in BS!!! I actually thought VR wasn't as bad as some of the passages in the practice tests (readable), but I still didn't perform so well (not surprised, since 10 was my highest score ever from the practice).I'm thinking about retaking MCAT, since I absolutely would want to avoid the new MCAT...
EDIT: misread post. The following still holds true; a 31 is 30+ so it's risky to retake especially if your school choices don't have crazy verbal cutoffs.
I originally posted:
Do not, do not, do not, DO NOT retake a 33. A 9 in VR is very understandable considering the strict scaling. Congrats on a great score!

Last edited:
although I guess im not really one to give advice, since I was the lunatic that decided to retake before even seeing my scores

lol dude no.
1) Don't have a 38.
2) Not white.
3) Not from Southampton (that's the worst Hampton anyway).
4) Not PBK (lmao)

In any case, though, I think the best medicine to counterpoint arrogant posts (in the funniest way possible on SDN) is to really one-up them on being arrogant and a braggart. Doesn't even matter if you like about 80% of it like I did. Beat 'em at their own game, ya know. It just ticks them off more and that's more satisfying than I can ask for.[/

Last edited:
oh okay. well anyway i hope you're enjoying princeton haha. im not there right now but bicker results come out later today right? oof
Ugh yeah. Too bad no one cares about fall bicker besides desperate seniors :p

:smack: There are far too many people on here retaking a 30+ on this forum. Unless, you have an 8 or below (still okay with an 8) on any section, do not retake a 30+.

EDIT: misread post. The following still holds true; a 31 is 30+ so it's risky to retake especially if your school choices don't have crazy verbal cutoffs.
I originally posted:
Do not, do not, do not, DO NOT retake a 33. A 9 in VR is very understandable considering the strict scaling. Congrats on a great score!

Aw thank you for the advice, nvas. How I wish I had your score! I don't think I would retake if I had a 33 (I got a 31...) I'm pretty sad that I don't feel quite "done," with the MCAT. Considering my low VR, I think there is very very low chance that I would do well on the new MCAT. I'm from CA and will be applying everywhere (though I wish to remain in CA). I've worked full time for a couple of years, so I've saved up enough to apply very broadly. I'm pretty fearful of the med school application. The thought of rejection is just.. :*(

Hey guys. sorry if this has been mentioned before? But how was the scale for the August 7th Mcat in the morning? I took it and voided as I felt like a low 20s score. So far I do not regret voiding but am curious to see how the scale would have been since I will have to retake in a few months and will definetly not void that score? Thanks.

Hey guys. sorry if this has been mentioned before? But how was the scale for the August 7th Mcat in the morning? I took it and voided as I felt like a low 20s score. So far I do not regret voiding but am curious to see how the scale would have been since I will have to retake in a few months and will definetly not void that score? Thanks.

Check out TonyTonyChopper's post on the previous page (post #2735).

Hi Monkeys4Lyfe,

I suggest not voiding a test if you've prepared sufficiently. I think MCAT test takers RARELY FEEL GREAT after the test, including those people who ends up getting amazing scores. Good luck!

Has anyone who took the MCAT on August 7th received any II's yet?

If you did, please mention which institutions you received them from , and your completion dates.

This is such an awesome thread, and been a lurker for the most of this thread. Anyone who took the August 7th MCAT got any IIs yet?! Anyone from the NJ area?