The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is such an awesome thread, and been a lurker for the most of this thread. Anyone who took the August 7th MCAT got any IIs yet?! Anyone from the NJ area?

I'm in NY, not NJ, but I received a II from SUNY Upstate and Downstate this week! Very thankful. Hoping that my fellow Aug. 7th MCAT takers receive love from their schools of interest very soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Just an update since you were all my support group that kept me from lighting myself on fire and driving myself off a cliff during the eternity-long wait for the MCAT results... 28 Mcat, 3.61c/ 3.50s: Two interviews so far!
All you fellow sub-30 MCATer's keep your head up! Congrats to all my fellow 8/7 survivors who got their well-deserved interviews or acceptances!

Sincerely,
dumadr.

P.S. CHECK YOUR SPAM BOXES JUST AS REGULARLY AS YOUR EMAIL!!!

Hey all! Just an update since you were all my support group that kept me from lighting myself on fire and driving myself off a cliff during the eternity-long wait for the MCAT results... 28 Mcat, 3.61c/ 3.50s: Two interviews so far!
All you fellow sub-30 MCATer's keep your head up! Congrats to all my fellow 8/7 survivors who got their well-deserved interviews or acceptances!

Sincerely,
dumadr.

P.S. CHECK YOUR SPAM BOXES JUST AS REGULARLY AS YOUR EMAIL!!!
Hey dumadr, thanks for sharing and congrats! Do you mind me asking where you applied?

Hey dumadr, thanks for sharing and congrats! Do you mind me asking where you applied?

Don't mind at all! If you want to get the full rundown I've tried to be as detailed as I can on my mdapplicants.com account. My profile is LikelyReject11 (what can I say... I'm a pessimist), bit feel free to message me if you want about anything else!

Best of luck!

Don't mind at all! If you want to get the full rundown I've tried to be as detailed as I can on my mdapplicants.com account. My profile is LikelyReject11 (what can I say... I'm a pessimist), bit feel free to message me if you want about anything else!

Best of luck!
You can easily link MDApps to your profile page. Go to "Preferences" under "Settings" and input your MDApps profile #. It'll show up under your avatar as it does with mine (see left)

Got my first interview later this month!

Edit: 31 mcat, 3.38c/3.46s GPA (with upward trend). Hopefully being early in the rounds of interviews (round 3 of 9) will give me a good chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Got my first interview later this month!

Edit: 31 mcat, 3.38c/3.46s GPA (with upward trend). Hopefully being early in the rounds of interviews (round 3 of 9) will give me a good chance.

Hey do you mind sharing on where you have applied? My stats are kinda similar to yours. This wait is nerve-wrecking.

Due to some conflicts in my schedule I won't be able to graduate this year, so I only completed the supplementary app to my in-state school. I didn't know I wouldn't be able to graduate until after I'd submitted my AMCAS application.

If you still want to know, I applied to:
University of Kansas SOM
University of Colorado SOM
Washington University SOM (Missouri)
St Louis University SOM

I was offered an interview at KU less than two weeks after submitting my supplementary. I've heard a classmate of mine who also scored a 31 on the mcat but had a little better GPA was accepted to Colorado, which has higher standards than KU (average mcat score of 34). As long as you aren't applying top tier, those stats will get you some interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you weren't graduating this year anyway... Sorry though. Was that the only school you applied to?
That's why I'm not AS upset, but it's still disappointing. And I applied to a few others via AMCAS, but once I found out I wouldn't be graduating this year I only completed my secondary to this one school.

That's why I'm not AS upset, but it's still disappointing. And I applied to a few others via AMCAS, but once I found out I wouldn't be graduating this year I only completed my secondary to this one school.

Is it possible that the only reason they rejected you was because you're not graduating this year?

Is it possible that the only reason they rejected you was because you're not graduating this year?
I have to think that had a lot to do with it. I had a good MCAT score, average GPA, interviewed well... But there's no point for them to accept me when there are others ready to go this coming fall.

I think that probably had everything to do with it...
I hope so. On the bright side, I now have until next cycle to:
-boost my GPA up a little
-get more shadowing experience
-NOT have to take the mcat

Plus, now I know what the interview process is like. It's not the end of the world. Like you said, I wouldn't be able to start med school next year anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
I hope so. On the bright side, I now have until next cycle to:
-boost my GPA up a little
-get more shadowing experience
-NOT have to take the mcat

Plus, now I know what the interview process is like. It's not the end of the world. Like you said, I wouldn't be able to start med school next year anyway.
Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up!

On the flip side, for others who took this exam, all is not lost. I have had an interview at UTHSCSA and have two more at PLFSOM and UTSW. This is still my very favorite forum on all of sdn, btw. Full speed ahead, guys!

Here's me so far: one waitlist, three rejections, two interviews attended, five interviews left to attend.

Update here...interview lucom, rescheduled. Retaking mcat Jan 10...took a bio class this fall which has helped my bio in so many ways. Studying like crazy...much better grasp on content this time around, especially bio....

didn't know this thread was still alive. glad someone restored it to life. @clairephillips congratulations on that acceptance. was it for a texas school? that's really great. I hear it's really hot down there and that they let the horses run wild. I don't like the heat or horses very much, so I didn't apply to any texas schools. my parents used to rent me a pony for birthday parties when I was young despite my protests not to. the parties sucked and made me kind of unpopular with my friends. I blame the pony.

Lol, we have cities, air conditioning AND inside plumbing down here in Texas. I don't believe I've ever seen a wild horse, though I've ridden a horse before. Yes, the school I was accepted to was Texas Tech El Paso. Where are you from?

Two acceptances in one week! Accepted at TUN-COM (interviewed 12/10), and off the waitlist at Western University COMP-NW (interviewed in October)!

Reactions: 4 users
Yay congrats with the acceptances! So, I finally figured out what I'm going to do with my gap year besides take selfies with my degree... EMT. This scrawny 5'4 wimpy girl thought it'd be a great idea to apply for an EMT program in the summer. Let's hope I can bulk up a little in the gym.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So I guess I'll post an update, if anyone cares. No acceptances. Two interviews attended in December. Two rejections. And still waiting on four more - not too hopeful in hearing anything. So we'll see what happens in early March for the two interviews I had :thumbup: :xf:

Reactions: 4 users
I got 12 rejections. Have one interview next month. Waiting on 5 schools or so, three of which are long shots.

Applying to masters programs just in case. But keeping my hopes up.

Update here for me...I retook the mcat on Jan 10th to improve physics and bio scores. Waiting game again..one interview d.o. I've also accepted that fact that I might have to do a round two cycle...depending on how I did on the mcat retake, which we shall see in a few weeks! Wish everyone well

Didn't post in this thread TOOO terribly much, but I like to see that it's still alive so I'll throw my update out there...

No word at all from any med programs and 1 waitlist for a masters program for me. This is my 2nd go round so fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 users
Update here...interview lucom, rescheduled. Retaking mcat Jan 10...took a bio class this fall which has helped my bio in so many ways. Studying like crazy...much better grasp on content this time around, especially bio....
How was your test compared to the one we took in August?

I too am surprised that this thread is still alive. Here's my update. 6 interviews (2 DO and 4 MD). Waitlisted by 1 MD, Accepted by 1 DO (I withdrew) and 1 MD, still awaiting to hear back from 2 MDs and 1 DO. All 4 MDs and the 1 DO (where i was accepted) are in-state.

I applied a little late. My primary was sent out early September and secondaries sent out and completed mid-October/early-November. I wish i would have applied earlier and also more broadly to see if i could have a chance at some competitive reach schools, but oh well.

Congratulations to all that have been accepted!

Here's an update from my corner of the world:

I just received my second acceptance through the Texas match. I was matched into UTHSCSA, in San Antonio and am incredibly excited about it! I was also waitlisted at the other two schools I had interviews at, so there are two more opportunities for an acceptance, although I'm pretty happy where I'm at. I would still most likely jump at the chance to attend UTSW, if they offered, but there is so so much to be thankful for!

Just took the MCAT two days ago and here's my 2 cents on it.

Chem/Phys: I felt the section was alright....didn't feel bad about it but didn't feel like I nailed it either. I marked around 12 and then checked up on the answers to the ones I was unsure about when I got home and predicted that missed 2-7. Lots of calculations, but all of them were easy. Definitely know the structures of all your amino acids and understand pI and net charge. Guessing a score of 129-131

CARS: I've always been weak on verbal and it was a nightmare come true. I'm just hoping my performance on the other 3 sections will make up for it. The passages were ridiculously long and the questions were wordier and more nuanced. I can't believe I had 3 minutes to spare afterwards to check my answers. Still I think I did horrible. I marked around 15 and eliminated everything down to two choices. Assuming random guessing, you can get around 50% right or miss 7 or 8 questions, but I give myself a margin and say I miss 10 for a score around 127ish.

Bio: This section was pretty easy. Felt like I nailed it. Even though it was heavy on experiments, I feel my extensive background in basic science research really helped. All the experiments were ones that I've performed myself and knew how to interpret. I marked only a handful and got all of them right after checking. Expecting a perfect score here.

Psych: I walked out feeling meh on it. The section only had 2 or 3 questions with unfamiliar terms....the rest was heavy on graph and data table interpretation. Marked around 15, checked all the answers I was unsure about when I got home and expecting to miss 3-7 on this section for a score of around 129-131.

Overall predicting a score of 515-520 ish. Compared to AAMC practice, the experiments presented were easier, but the exam is still very heavy on critical thinking, nuanced knowledge, and research interpretation overall. For my prep, I used all of the material from a Kaplan online course I took and EK. I would have to say neither resource by itself would have been sufficient on its own. There was some knowledge-based questions that only the Kaplan prep books had, but the EK practice tests were the most similar to the test. For prep, I would recommend reading all the Kaplan and EK books, but only doing the EK practice tests. I averaged 75-86% on EK chem/phys, below 75% on CARS, and 80-86 on bio and psych. If I score well on this exam, I will make a document sheet on exactly how I prepped. In the meantime, I'd love to answer any questions anyone may have.

Just took the MCAT two days ago and here's my 2 cents on it.

Chem/Phys: I felt the section was alright....didn't feel bad about it but didn't feel like I nailed it either. I marked around 12 and then checked up on the answers to the ones I was unsure about when I got home and predicted that missed 2-7. Lots of calculations, but all of them were easy. Definitely know the structures of all your amino acids and understand pI and net charge. Guessing a score of 129-131

CARS: I've always been weak on verbal and it was a nightmare come true. I'm just hoping my performance on the other 3 sections will make up for it. The passages were ridiculously long and the questions were wordier and more nuanced. I can't believe I had 3 minutes to spare afterwards to check my answers. Still I think I did horrible. I marked around 15 and eliminated everything down to two choices. Assuming random guessing, you can get around 50% right or miss 7 or 8 questions, but I give myself a margin and say I miss 10 for a score around 127ish.

Bio: This section was pretty easy. Felt like I nailed it. Even though it was heavy on experiments, I feel my extensive background in basic science research really helped. All the experiments were ones that I've performed myself and knew how to interpret. I marked only a handful and got all of them right after checking. Expecting a perfect score here.

Psych: I walked out feeling meh on it. The section only had 2 or 3 questions with unfamiliar terms....the rest was heavy on graph and data table interpretation. Marked around 15, checked all the answers I was unsure about when I got home and expecting to miss 3-7 on this section for a score of around 129-131.

Overall predicting a score of 515-520 ish. Compared to AAMC practice, the experiments presented were easier, but the exam is still very heavy on critical thinking, nuanced knowledge, and research interpretation overall. For my prep, I used all of the material from a Kaplan online course I took and EK. I would have to say neither resource by itself would have been sufficient on its own. There was some knowledge-based questions that only the Kaplan prep books had, but the EK practice tests were the most similar to the test. For prep, I would recommend reading all the Kaplan and EK books, but only doing the EK practice tests. I averaged 75-86% on EK chem/phys, below 75% on CARS, and 80-86 on bio and psych. If I score well on this exam, I will make a document sheet on exactly how I prepped. In the meantime, I'd love to answer any questions anyone may have.
lol...wrong thread! Glad it went well though!

CARS, PYSCH, Scores in the triple digits? I have no idea what you're talking about and I couldn't be happier... Congrats though and best of luck!