The Official August 9, 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IL Pre Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started studying today. Anyone else with me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking this MCAT 8/9 too. Just got my books and going to start studying when finals are over in late May.

I'm taking on 8/15, but I'll join your discussion of strategies and such. You might get a lot more activity once the 4/4, 4/26, and 4/27 people get their scores back...haha.

I sat for 4/26 but knew I wasn't as ready as I could be, so regardless of my score I'm going to retake. Trying out SN2ed's schedule this time around, so hopefully I can get myself a respectable score :)

What are the rest of you guys doing in terms of study plans?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking the princeton class and I have other books to supplement it. My arsenal includes the full Kaplan series, full EK + 101 passages verbal, and full TBR 2011 edition. My class doesn't start until 6/9 so until then I'm hitting my weak spots in PS. I'm 2/3 of the way through Gen Chem review via the Kaplan books this far. If I have questions I reference TBR because its so in depth. I'm saving all the princeton materials for when I take the class so they can be fresh. As soon as I finish Gen Chem I'm going to start working through Physics. My goal is to have full Kaplan content review done for PS by the time the princeton class starts. I have a strong background in Bio so I'm not going too hard on that. I am weak in orgo though so I'm re-taking Orgo I for a refresher over the summer. I'm a semi non trad and my last chem class was 5 years ago. I'll be hitting verbal up along the way but I think that covers my whole plan.

Also writing on the 9th. Retaking my abysmal 27R from last August. Looking to follow SN2ed's schedule but far more rigorously than last year.

I'm taking it 8/9. I'm registering later today. I think I'm just gonna wing it after taking a few practice tests...

JUST KIDDING! :p

I finished my last final on Thursday, so I'm taking a break for about a week or so. I'll be doing a slight (diminished) variation of the SN2ed schedule starting next week. I'm also going to be researching all summer with my school's psych department (got a sweet neuroscience set-up) and hopefully be shadowing and volunteering a bit on the side. I'm pretty excited actually!

i am taking a kaplan course that starts june 6th, an organic chemistry "bootcamp" course late may, and probably working on verbal using examkrackers before my class starts. i am excited to start studying! is that weird? haha. all of my friends are preparing to apply now and i am so jealous (i am taking a gap year after i graduate next year)

Hey y'all.

Haven't been on these boards in a while, since SDN is THE best way to freak a college student out (seriously, people are nuts). I'll be sitting the August 9th exam in the afternoon.

I am using SN2ed's guide, and deliberated on taking a TPR course, but decided against it. I may get a tutor from my local University though for some review, and am considering purchasing Chad's MCAT video set. I am planning on starting studying tomorrow, and won't be doing much besides working for a family member part time.

A little about me: Biology major, just finished my sophomore year, withdrew from Org2 this semester due to the professor/timing conflicts. I go to a small school in the South, and I'm involved in a contract-style dual admit program for medical school. I need to get in the mid 20s to go here, but am considering applying out based on my score. I love football (especially the NFL), reading reddit, thechive, amongst a few other time-wasters. I am excited about the 4th season of Arrested Development releasing later this month -- I am a TV show marathonaholic. I will find a show, and watch every current episode religiously. I am currently watching House of Lies, House of Cards and soon enough, AD. I have two dogs, which provide the most distraction ever, and now that I'm back home, I swear they bark 10x more than usual. Long walks on the beach are nice too, and good sushi is my biggest weakness.

I think that's creepy enough for my first post back in a while. Feel free to PM me or whatever so we can all stay sane these next few months.

Last edited:
I'm on day 2 and ready to start bitching. Going through the passages, I make the exact same mistakes I made the first time through last year. WTF.

Yeah I just started studying a few days ago. Would anyone like to set up a Skype group or something so that maybe we could all study together and ask each other questions and such?

I'm taking the MCATs on the 15th--but i'll also join this discussion group...was wondering if you guys are planning on applying this cycle (1 year off) or next cycle (2 years off)? I was thinking of applying this cycle, but obviously my application will suffer from taking the mcat's in august...just want to get an idea of how many other people do this, and whether or not you all think it's a good idea or if it's well worth it to wait? I'm at a top 20 undergrad, and have a decent gpa (3.67) with pretty good clinical and research experience and will be adding to my research experience during my year off--also have exceptionally extracurriculars and volunteering activities.

i am a junior right now and i am applying next cycle (so taking one year off after i graduate).

I'm a sophomore, so applying next cycle. I was in a 3+4 dual admission program, so I would have needed to apply this time around, but I took an extra year so I can study abroad/enjoy undergrad.

I'm glad I'm not applying and taking the exam at the same time. Seems a bit brutal and for a control freak like myself, I don't think I could apply anywhere without knowing my score first.

First day of SN2ed down, 95 to go. I have to say, the BR books seem excellent thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else taking forever to get through TBR orgo? I'm also taking notes and took me about 4 hours to go through 30 pages...

Will be taking mine at 8AM on 8/9 as well. I'm planning on starting my studying next week after finishing up my last final on Monday. Best of luck to everyone here!

Anyone else taking forever to get through TBR orgo? I'm also taking notes and took me about 4 hours to go through 30 pages...

I feel that way with G-Chem. I'm using TBR orgo, but I would recommend to anyone don't thoroughly read every sentence, I just skim through and read sections I don't remember as well, and then really focus on doing the passages and getting the most out of the answer explanations.

Hey guys, just a heads-up: got a message today from Prometric - the location for the August 9th MCAT has been moved from 3050 Yonge St. to 265 Yorkland Blvd. Don't know how many of you were originally writing there or if this pertains to other locations but just check your AAMC to confirm.

How soon do you need to register for the exam? I was planning on registering late June/July, after I was confident that I'd be ready for it. Should I register earlier?

I feel that way with G-Chem. I'm using TBR orgo, but I would recommend to anyone don't thoroughly read every sentence, I just skim through and read sections I don't remember as well, and then really focus on doing the passages and getting the most out of the answer explanations.

+1

It's very dense and unnecessary in many respects. There's a summary page at the end of each section -- look over that first, and identify what you are/aren't familiar with and work from there. The summary goes in order of how the chapter is laid out, if that wasn't already obvious.

Day 3 down :thumbup: Keep on pushing, everyone. :)

I'm signed up for the 9th. I am doing TBR and ek 1001 following the famous 3 month schedule from sn2ed. So far my biggest problem is feeling uneasy and a little anxious having a timer next to me. Hopefully with more practice this issue will go away.

I didn't do so well in the first 1/3 biology passages, my weakest section that I hope to improve on with constant hammering!

I'm signed up for the 9th. I am doing TBR and ek 1001 following the famous 3 month schedule from sn2ed. So far my biggest problem is feeling uneasy and a little anxious having a timer next to me. Hopefully with more practice this issue will go away.

I didn't do so well in the first 1/3 biology passages, my weakest section that I hope to improve on with constant hammering!

I also get rocked by the bio passages, but from past people's experiences thats pretty normal so just get the most you can out of them. I tend to not feel bad if it was a passage that wanted some ridiculous detail from memory, but the ones that require a heavy analyzing of an experiment in a passage are more like my MCAT experience, so really try to nail those.

After talking to peers, and a little more digging on these boards, I'm going to adjust my schedule (SN2ed) to have less content review and ill be taking a practice test every other day for 6 days per week starting at around the halfway point of the plan.

Besides the AAMCs, what should I purchase? I'd like to have some CBTs under my belt, just to know how everything looks/is formatted so I'm as comfortable as possible on exam day. I'm going to need around 15-20 exams in total. It seems theres no on that consensus around here -- maybe y'all have an idea?

I'm taking the MCATs on the 15th--but i'll also join this discussion group...was wondering if you guys are planning on applying this cycle (1 year off) or next cycle (2 years off)? I was thinking of applying this cycle, but obviously my application will suffer from taking the mcat's in august...just want to get an idea of how many other people do this, and whether or not you all think it's a good idea or if it's well worth it to wait? I'm at a top 20 undergrad, and have a decent gpa (3.67) with pretty good clinical and research experience and will be adding to my research experience during my year off--also have exceptionally extracurriculars and volunteering activities.

I'm a Junior and I'm applying this cycle...I'm just gonna pray and pray and pray like crazy that I'll get a super high score on the MCAT...I have a lot of clinical/volunteering experience, and a 3.9 GPA, so I'm hoping my application will stand out despite being late...I'm also applying to 15 schools, so HOPEFULLY at least one of them will accept me :scared:

I'm starting SN2ed's plan today...good luck, you guys!!! We can do this! :D

How is everyone timing themselves when practicing passages? Following SN2ed's schedule, I'm doing 7 minutes per passage using TBR passages.

On another note, Biology still seems to be kicking my butt (TBR Bio passages).

I'm on August 9th too! It'll be quite the summer. I'm on Day 6 of Sn2ed. Since it's the reread + 1001's day then I'll be quite busy today. Think I'm gonna use any extra time today to hammer the physics home.

How is everyone timing themselves when practicing passages? Following SN2ed's schedule, I'm doing 7 minutes per passage using TBR passages.

On another note, Biology still seems to be kicking my butt (TBR Bio passages).

I do 7 minutes if the passage has 7 questions for all science and verbal passages. For science, if the passage has 6 questions, I lower it to 6.5 minutes, just to keep the pressure significant.

After talking to peers, and a little more digging on these boards, I'm going to adjust my schedule (SN2ed) to have less content review and ill be taking a practice test every other day for 6 days per week starting at around the halfway point of the plan.

Besides the AAMCs, what should I purchase? I'd like to have some CBTs under my belt, just to know how everything looks/is formatted so I'm as comfortable as possible on exam day. I'm going to need around 15-20 exams in total. It seems theres no on that consensus around here -- maybe y'all have an idea?

AAMC Assessment packages
> PS has 200+ passages
> BS has 200+ passages
> VB has 120+ passages
If you split them up carefully, you can "create 3 FLs and the 4th one with PS and BS without the VB part.
So, that is (3)
GS has (10) FLs
Try at least say 6, 8, 9, 10 plus 1
So, that is (5)
Do it at the beginning of the 3 month plan ahead of the AAMC stuff.
Kaplan Practice (book from Amazon or local library) has (4)
3 in book and 1 on line
So, that is (4)
PR has the book called Cracking MCAT (Amazon or local library)
4 on line including the free one
Do it also ahead of AAMC ones.
So, that is (4)
AAMC Guide
If you carefully look at it, it is almost a complete FL. Take it.
So, that is (1)
Kaplan 45 book has material can almost like a full FL
So, that is (1)
Do it at the front end of your 3 months study.
BR has (7)
Of course you have the AAMC (8)

Does it help? :cool:

I'm on Day 16 today - just starting today's work now. Got Chad's videos finally yesterday - gonna be saving those primarily for the review day and watching and going along with TBR at the same time.

AAMC Assessment packages
> PS has 200+ passages
> BS has 200+ passages
> VB has 120+ passages
If you split them up carefully, you can "create 3 FLs and the 4th one with PS and BS without the VB part.
So, that is (3)
GS has (10) FLs
Try at least say 6, 8, 9, 10 plus 1
So, that is (5)
Do it at the beginning of the 3 month plan ahead of the AAMC stuff.
Kaplan Practice (book from Amazon or local library) has (4)
3 in book and 1 on line
So, that is (4)
PR has the book called Cracking MCAT (Amazon or local library)
4 on line including the free one
Do it also ahead of AAMC ones.
So, that is (4)
AAMC Guide
If you carefully look at it, it is almost a complete FL. Take it.
So, that is (1)
Kaplan 45 book has material can almost like a full FL
So, that is (1)
Do it at the front end of your 3 months study.
BR has (7)
Of course you have the AAMC (8)

Does it help? :cool:

Wow, yes. Thank you.

Also, I gave in and bought a 100 day subscription to Chad's videos. Definitely helps as I am rusty on chemistry (gen and organic). He's awesome, and it definitely helps because I'm not the biggest fan of the TBR Chemistry guy. Physics, on the other hand, is written beautifully.

Wow, yes. Thank you.

Also, I gave in and bought a 100 day subscription to Chad's videos. Definitely helps as I am rusty on chemistry (gen and organic). He's awesome, and it definitely helps because I'm not the biggest fan of the TBR Chemistry guy. Physics, on the other hand, is written beautifully.

Glad you take Chad. It is a good choice.

An error in my part related to Kaplan Practice book:

It is 2 on line and 2 on paper in book.

Good Luck to your study! :love:

Are Chad's videos that helpful?

In my freetime, or on my way somewhere, I listen to the audio osmosis by Examkrackers. It's really good. Is it useful still to get Chad's videos?

Are Chad's videos that helpful?

In my freetime, or on my way somewhere, I listen to the audio osmosis by Examkrackers. It's really good. Is it useful still to get Chad's videos?

A lot of folks process complex issues connecting dots better visually than hearing; particularly when you see the teacher draws the stuff on board.

He is very good communicating.

Saying all that, if your basic knowledge is very good, then Chad is NOT really that helpful.
However, in my opinion, Chad serves the purpose to fill in some gaps to speed up or guide you better in the thinking. At the end, it saves you time, and that may mean a point or two in your final MCAT score. For this MCAT beast, every point counts. ;)

I'm looking to apply for 2014-2015 - just hoping for a boost in my score from last year.

How far along is everyone? I'm halfway through Day 26 in SN2ed's schedule...Any problems so far?

I'm looking to apply for 2014-2015 - just hoping for a boost in my score from last year.

How far along is everyone? I'm halfway through Day 26 in SN2ed's schedule...Any problems so far?

Moving relatively smoothly. I got over the initial shock of having to digest large volumes of material and now things seem to be going well. I still have to goal of learning everything, which, whether or not is actually possible, I prefer as a goal rather than settling for the bare minimum.

I start my Princeton class in a week. Been reviewing gen chem and physics for the past few weeks to reinforce my weak areas. Hardcore studying starts next Sunday, ahh!

Long-time reader, but never found a good reason or motivation to post. Figured I'd jump onto here as a fellow 8/9er though. Applying two cycles out, rising junior. Using TBR as 25% content review and 75% practice passages. EK/TPRH for verbal and more passages. FLs artillery includes AAMC, TBR, TPR/TPRH, and anything else I have in the back of my books. Should be a fun two months ahead of us. WOOHOO

Last edited:
Just finished Day 33 and I've had enough already. Spent the entire day going through endless passages (mainly from bio). The worst part is I get pissed that I still haven't finished studying for the day, and I end up just rushing through everything. .... :mad:

Just finished Day 33 and I've had enough already. Spent the entire day going through endless passages (mainly from bio). The worst part is I get pissed that I still haven't finished studying for the day, and I end up just rushing through everything. .... :mad:

That's the main thing I have against SN2ed's schedule. It's way too much content review for those who are shaky on content to begin with. You'll be exhausted by the time you get to the passages and feel dead. Can't say I have a way around this if you're pressed for time and have somewhat large knowledge gaps as I haven't had the same experiences.

But know that you're definitely not the only one. Perhaps a day off every 10 or so days would help.

Is there anyone here applying for the 2013-2014 cycle? If so, would it be too late, even if I were to submit my application in June?

Last edited:
Is there anyone here applying for the 2013-2014 cycle? If so, would it be too late, even if I were to submit my application in June?

It wouldn't be read or touched at all until your score comes out in September. That'd be substantially behind most other people in your cycle and will hurt most for rolling admission schools, when people will be interviewing in September already.

But if everything else is settled and you get a good score, the decision is yours to apply this cycle or the next.

It wouldn't be read or touched at all until your score comes out in September. That'd be substantially behind most other people in your cycle and will hurt most for rolling admission schools, when people will be interviewing in September already.

But if everything else is settled and you get a good score, the decision is yours to apply this cycle or the next.

Also wondering on this. Is is possible to receive secondaries before your MCAT scores come in. Assuming you sent out your primary in June and had everything else completed and just waiting for MCAT scores. Thanks!! :)

Long-time reader, but never found a good reason or motivation to post. Figured I'd jump onto here as a fellow 8/9er though. Applying two cycles out, rising junior. Using TBR as 25% content review and 75% practice passages. EK/TPRH for verbal and more passages. FLs artillery includes AAMC, TBR, TPR/TPRH, and anything else I have in the back of my books. Should be a fun two months ahead of us. WOOHOO

Oh look, we're using essentially the exact same stuff :laugh:

Also wondering on this. Is is possible to receive secondaries before your MCAT scores come in. Assuming you sent out your primary in June and had everything else completed and just waiting for MCAT scores. Thanks!! :)

You should receive secondaries if your primary is submitted and complete. However, your app will still not be read or discussed until the scores come out.

C'mon guys more talk less study we're losing in terms of posts to the 8/16 thread!!! :naughty: lolllllll

Officially registered for the 0800 time! Was considering 1400 but there was a location close to my home so I guess I'll wake up early then haha