*** The Official Buffalo Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

received an II yesterday. Completed Secondary on 10/27. IS:)

Members don't see this ad.

Sent in my deposit a few days ago. So excited! :clap:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't remember exactly. Somewhere around 20-25 I think!

Can anyone give us an idea of what tuition will be like? The numbers that they have up are from 2012-2013

Can anyone give us an idea of what tuition will be like? The numbers that they have up are from 2012-2013

much cheaper than private school....

Buffalo tuition.png

I totaled ~$98k for each year including living expenses for nonresidents. In that chart they included the "Total, resident" cost in with the "Total, nonresident" cost, which is not right.

Yea I thought it is too expensive for nonresident too. This chart is from adea 2014-2015 official guide, I guess it's an error.

Yes, the ADEA book has an error. The total for nonresidents, without living expenses comes out to around $210k...your total should be no more than $300k I'd imagine after 4 years, which is an awesome deal for California residents where all schools will be expensive :D

Does anyone has an interview tomorrow? Going up to buffalo taking greyhound!

Members don't see this ad :)
I will withdraw my application thus canceling my interview today. I hope any of you get the best Christmas present ever :)

Good luck to whoever gets my interview spot scheduled for Jan 8th.

I just found the numbers for this academic year, and they're slightly higher than what ADEA published . http://dental.buffalo.edu/Portals/0/estexpsheet14-15.pdf
Anyone know of scholarships available through UB?
Those numbers are accurate for this year; expect continuing tuition increases until 2016 (I believe 10% per year). In 2011, UB implemented five year "predictable tuition increases." There's no guarantee it'll stop after 2016, but that's the latest I've heard. It sucks, but we're still one of the least expensive dental schools in the country. I will tell you that those living costs are extremely inflated and I'm on track to shave about $8,000 from that $20,000 estimated expense. Obviously everyone's situation is different, but I believe most get in under $20,000.

There are a handful of scholarships that are made available to students in D2, ranging anywhere from $500 to $5000, depending on how much money the school has available for scholarships (it fluctuates each year). We (D1s) will be emailed in March with details on what's available, how to apply, etc. Hope this helps!

Those numbers are accurate for this year; expect continuing tuition increases until 2016 (I believe 10% per year). In 2011, UB implemented five year "predictable tuition increases." There's no guarantee it'll stop after 2016, but that's the latest I've heard. It sucks, but we're still one of the least expensive dental schools in the country. I will tell you that those living costs are extremely inflated and I'm on track to shave about $8,000 from that $20,000 estimated expense. Obviously everyone's situation is different, but I believe most get in under $20,000.

There are a handful of scholarships that are made available to students in D2, ranging anywhere from $500 to $5000, depending on how much money the school has available for scholarships (it fluctuates each year). We (D1s) will be emailed in March with details on what's available, how to apply, etc. Hope this helps!

Is it really that affordable out there? I thought a 5000k yearly allowance and a 2k travel allowance was maybe cutting it a bit too close. Or are you just saving money on housing?

Is it really that affordable out there? I thought a 5000k yearly allowance and a 2k travel allowance was maybe cutting it a bit too close. Or are you just saving money on housing?
I spend about $1000/month on rent ($425/month), food ($300/month), gas, and all the other extraneous stuff. They allot $20k yearly for all that stuff, I spend $12k, hence eliminating $8k a year from those projected expenses. Unfortunately that's really the only place to save on costs, all the fees (save the yearbook fee, which you can opt out of) are non-negotiable and must be paid in full. Summer research is another good way to build your resume and make a few extra bucks to chip away at that grand total (I believe its $3000 for 6 weeks of work over the summer). Feel free to ask any other questions, happy to help.

I just got an interview invite this morning and took the last spot for 1/8. Are there any girls on here willing to share a room? :)

Hey guys, was just wondering if anyone who is an international student has got acceptance letters from UBSDM yet?

I just got an interview invite this morning and took the last spot for 1/8. Are there any girls on here willing to share a room? :)
That was my interview spot :) i had my interview on the 8th and withdrew my application a couple days ago :) good luck to you!!!! :)

That was my interview spot :) i had my interview on the 8th and withdrew my application a couple days ago :) good luck to you!!!! :)
Woo! Thank you for the well wishes :) It came as a complete surprise though, since I was initially placed under continuing review. Based off of what I read on SDN, I heard it's very rare for a continuing review applicant to get an invite!

I was too, but got an interview invite Monday for an interview tomorrow! Don't lose hope!

Good luck coming, be lookin like Hoth up here.

anyone interviewed on 1/8 got acceptance letter yet?

Did you get an email titled "Thank you for visiting the UB School of Dental Medicine!" this morning? I was wondering if it is waitlisting letter :wideyed:

I think anyone who interviewed got that e-mail!

Acceptance! I can't believe it. This was my dream school.....!

Reactions: 1 users
was waitlisted :[ Congrats guys who posted above me!

buffalo is definitely my top choice I really hope I can make it off of the waitlist! has anyone else on here been placed on a wait list or know how it moves? idk if I should call in a few weeks because I don't want to bother them I know they're super busy :(

was waitlisted :[ Congrats guys who posted above me!

buffalo is definitely my top choice I really hope I can make it off of the waitlist! has anyone else on here been placed on a wait list or know how it moves? idk if I should call in a few weeks because I don't want to bother them I know they're super busy :(
Yup i've been waitlisted too. Not really sure what to do now lol

I just got accepted off the waitlist!!! Best day ever because Buffalo is my #1 choice!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone! Do we have a Facebook group for those that have been accepted into the class of 2019? If so, please post the link! Thanks :)

I spend about $1000/month on rent ($425/month), food ($300/month), gas, and all the other extraneous stuff. They allot $20k yearly for all that stuff, I spend $12k, hence eliminating $8k a year from those projected expenses. Unfortunately that's really the only place to save on costs, all the fees (save the yearbook fee, which you can opt out of) are non-negotiable and must be paid in full. Summer research is another good way to build your resume and make a few extra bucks to chip away at that grand total (I believe its $3000 for 6 weeks of work over the summer). Feel free to ask any other questions, happy to help.

I can verify this information, and spend roughly the same amount for a 5 minute walk from campus.

Everyone else get the email today regarding incoming class details?

Intersted in general dentistry ATM but this was a nice tidbit.

"UB SDM students are highly sought after: Last year, all 26 DDs graduates who applied to specialty programs were accepted; 61 others entered AEGD or GPR programs - more than 80 percent were accepted into their first or second choices."

woot woot

What's up everyone. I'll be a third year when you guys all start, but I just wanted to pop in and see if there's anyone already looking for housing. I live in a duplex on the 2nd floor with my wife that's within walking distance to the campus in a great location.

The 1st floor is currently vacant. The landlord is looking for financially responsible and reliable tenants to move in downstairs. Dental students usually fit that requirement, haha. It's a perfect apartment for perhaps the older students who are married or bringing significant others, or even families with them, and that need a little extra space. It would also be perfect for 2-3 students that want to be roommates.

If you're set on going to UB this coming fall, and are already trying to get a jump on housing, PM me if you're interested and I'll send you the Craigslist posting. The landlord is showing it to anyone interested, but it's never too late to get a jump on housing. Plus, I'd rather have fellow dental students downstairs than some random tenant, haha. Let me know!

hows the activity on the fb group? haven't gotten around to making an account yet.

hows the activity on the fb group? haven't gotten around to making an account yet.
The group is ~50% current dental students. Some good convos about housing and laptops but you're not missing too much right now