****The Official ECU Class of 2018 Thread****

I still have no change idk if they do them individually or what:(

Members don't see this ad.

I still have no change idk if they do them individually or what:(

Agh I don't know what it means! I've talked to a few people and mine is the only one. Maybe I have some bad news coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agh I don't know what it means! I've talked to a few people and mine is the only one. Maybe I have some bad news coming.

Hi Glimmer,

Mine changed to check back Dec 2nd this morning as well. Hopefully that's a good sign..

Good sign guys. Would kill for that change, predicting continuing review for myself! (No change)

Yeah I guess it just seems we would all have the same things or maybe they individually change them slowly. I don't know I wish we would just get an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in :) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh status changed this morning from invite to check back as well

The worst part about this continuing review thing is we never know when it's over... Geez.

Yeah I know I had a 20 dat and 3.9 gpa I emailed them and asked them how I could improve for next year. Idk what I am missing but I am determined to get in eventually

Yeah I know I had a 20 dat and 3.9 gpa I emailed them and asked them how I could improve for next year. Idk what I am missing but I am determined to get in eventually
once this semester ends for me and I update aadsas with new grades I'll wait to hear back. If I don't receive correspondence I may send that same email..

Did anyone just get a phone call from ECU? I didn't hear it ring, but when I tried to call back it said the number didn't have a valid voicemail box...

Do you know if people actually get in from the review. I know a few people will go to Carolina instead who got in there but I wonder if people have actually got in before or did anyone get a straight rejection.

once this semester ends for me and I update aadsas with new grades I'll wait to hear back. If I don't receive correspondence I may send that same email..

man your stats is a lot better than mine, good luck! did you apply to UNC? lots of folks *will choose* UNC over ECU, so the wait list is not *game over* yet

Didn't get an interview at any of the other schools
I applied too. I mean I applied late in September but I
Thought my stats were decent enough to get in somewhere. Thanks for the encouragement today has been a hard day.

Do you know if people actually get in from the review. I know a few people will go to Carolina instead who got in there but I wonder if people have actually got in before or did anyone get a straight rejection.
I'd like to believe that we are definitely still in the game for acceptance. This is just another waiting game. Remain optimistic.

For what it's worth, two friends of mine in two different classes (2015 & 2017) got this same email and were later accepted around early spring. There is still a tremendous amount of space and time. We are the chosen ones to prove that we are patient and faithful ;)

Didn't get an interview at any of the other schools
I applied too. I mean I applied late in September but I
Thought my stats were decent enough to get in somewhere. Thanks for the encouragement today has been a hard day.

I wouldn't be overly concerned just yet. There is still plenty of time left in the application cycle...

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to believe that we are definitely still in the game for acceptance. This is just another waiting game. Remain optimistic.

For what it's worth, two friends of mine in two different classes (2015 & 2017) got this same email and were later accepted around early spring. There is still a tremendous amount of space and time. We are the chosen ones to prove that we are patient and faithful ;)

Yeah I will remain hopeful but I got to
Get on applying to master programs now and take the gre. Then retake the dat to try to get a higher score. The email ecu sent said to ask them a projection time for your application. I am going to do that so I can get on to applying for other things thanks so much for the encouragement though.

Also just got a call from one of my interviewers.

Guys, I am floored--I got a scholarship offer!!! I honestly figured I would be going to UNC because it was the same price yet closer to my family (which is important to me)... But oh man, my choice just got SO much harder!!! I loved ECU just as much as I did UNC, so man, this is a tough decision. But a good one! I am feeling so blessed today. Congratulations to everyone else who was accepted, and for those on the wait list, there is still a LOT of hope! Best of luck to everyone!!

Congrats!!! That's a tough decision. Do u mind if I ask what your stats are?

continuing review for me too :(

congrats to those of you that got in though!

Last edited:
anyone know how the review works or how many people is placed on the "wait list" versus how many actually get in from it.

Guys, I am floored--I got a scholarship offer!!! To be totally honest, I figured I would sort of just go to UNC by default because it was the same price yet a bit closer to home... But oh man, my choice just got more complex!!! I loved ECU--it really felt like a home to me, so yeah, this is an incredibly tough decision... but a good one! I am feeling so blessed today. I am lucky to have loved all three of the schools at which I interviewed so much, but that makes this decision so much more difficult.

Congratulations to everyone else who was accepted, and for those on the wait list, there is still a LOT of hope! Best of luck to everyone!!
Wow ECU is already ridiculously cheap, like cheaper than college. If you can get a DDS for almost free, ECU would be a sweet deal.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, I am floored--I got a scholarship offer!!! To be totally honest, I figured I would sort of just go to UNC by default because it was the same price yet a bit closer to home... But oh man, my choice just got more complex!!! I loved ECU--it really felt like a home to me, so yeah, this is an incredibly tough decision... but a good one! I am feeling so blessed today. I am lucky to have loved all three of the schools at which I interviewed so much, but that makes this decision so much more difficult.

Congratulations to everyone else who was accepted, and for those on the wait list, there is still a LOT of hope! Best of luck to everyone!!
Where did you go for undergrad Glimmer?

Just wanted to say, I am keeping hope alive. I know so many people that are awesome D1, D2 and D3's that got accepted later through the cycle. Everyone has a month to accept or decline their offers (I believe?) so dont give up!

If things are not working out the way you want them to, just remember its all a part of a "higher" plan... If its meant to be, it will!

Patience is a virtue.

Reactions: 2 users
Wise words crystalsmiles. I needed that. Thank you for the pep talk!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone that got accepted so far!!! My interview is next Tuesday, Dec. 10th. Would anyone be gracious enough to share their experiences with the interview process at ECU? I'll make sure to keep everyone posted after my interview...

...and to everyone that didn't get accepted or waitlisted or still waiting, KEEP HOPE ALIVE! This is my second year applying to ECU and first time I'm getting an interview. Best of luck to everyone!

Sure, @PirateDoc14! I can give you a little run-down of how the interview went, as I don't think the format is secret information or anything. :)

Basically, you get there, and Mrs. Ball will greet you at the entrance and tell you where to park your car. Once everyone arrives, you will go upstairs to a conference room and talk to Mr. Lowery, Dr. Wilson, Dr. Chadwick, and Dr. Watkins for about 30 minutes. It is sort of an "ice breaker," and they give you lots of opportunities to ask questions about the school. After that meeting, they take everyones' pictures for their files. Your little interview cohort (mine had 8 people) is then split up into two groups. Half of you will tour first and then interview, and the other half will interview first and then tour. You have three interviews: two are 20 minutes long with a faculty member (you will have interviewers that are different than the other group), and one is 10 minutes long with Dr. Wilson (everyone gets to talk to her). The time goes by quickly!! On the tour, you will walk around the school and see all the clinics and whatnot. It is all brand new and cutting-edge, which was really great to me. Oh, and as a big Mac fan, I was really excited about how everything was Mac-based! :) You then eat lunch (which was catered by Chick-Fil-A and REALLY good) and get to talk to some current students about dental school life. The students in my lunch group were D1s, but I'm not sure if that is always the case. Both of them were extremely personable, and I could tell they loved it at the school. You end the day with a financial aid presentation, and I seem to remember being done around 1 o'clock.

I'm serious--you can tell that everyone at ECU, from the faculty to the students, genuinely cares about seeing each other succeed. It felt like a community, and everyone seemed to really be looking out for each other. All of the students I talked to seemed happy, fulfilled, and excited. It was just a cozy environment, honestly--which was a great feeling. They want you to do well, and the school (along with your class!) is going to do everything they can to help you excel.

One of my best pieces of advice is to really research the school and have questions prepared. Dr. Watkins told me that the interview process isn't just about them deciding if I was a good fit for their school, but also for me to decide if ECU was a good fit for me! As such, they give you ample opportunities to ask questions about the program. Have some! It will show your interest, and it will also help you decide if the school fits with your personal goals.

Also, although I know everyone tells you this, the admissions team at ECU really goes out of their way to make you comfortable, and they want you to be genuine. You really don't need to be very nervous. None of the questions I got were too unexpected, and a lot of them dealt with my personality and what I valued in life. ECU is an incredible school with a great mission, so make sure you have read up on their values and mission statement. If their mission is similar to your life goals, make sure you show them this in your interviews! :)

Especially if this is your first interview, I would suggest just going and browsing some of the interview feedback. Though being yourself is obviously the goal, it is a good idea to not go in totally blind! Don't just look at ECU's page--look at other schools, too, and make sure you at least have a basic idea of how you would answer some of the questions. It is sometimes hard to think on your feet in a high-stress situation (because it is stressful, even if you try to be calm!), and come up with a few life experiences that fit the most common questions. Make sure you can eloquently but succinctly describe why you want to be a dentist--I know this is a no-brainer, but sometimes, it is hard to articulate all of the reasons that make this field the right one for you! Also, make sure you have reviewed your application and supplement before you go in there. It's probably been a long time since you submitted, so it is nice to have a little refresher! You might have the opportunity to expand on some of those experiences during the interview.

Congratulations to you for having an interview! I know you will love it, just like I did. If you have any more questions, ask away! :)

Last edited:
Exactly what Glimmer said, except we didnt have Chic Fil A!!! We had honey baked ham! They give you breath mints in a cute little tooth shaped tin box too.

Not like this is information to help you for your interview lol, but ECU cares, all the way to the small details :)

I really love my school (alumna, current graduate student) and while im not yet a dental student there, I hope you enjoy the campus!!

Got the call from one of my interviewers Monday morning! Such a relief! This school was my top choice for many reasons and I couldn't be more excited to go to dental school here. It's an amazing school with a stellar faculty.

@canvasback02 what did you do differently since last year? I saw you applied last year and was just curious because I'll most likely be in the same situation this yr.