***The Official ECU Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Did your aadsas status change? Or just a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got rejected. Pretty sure it's because I was asian. ECU only accepts 5 "asians" every year. Look at the stats in the ADEA handbook.[/QUOTE

You are probably right and that stinks.

I was denied at dental schools of several liberal leaning universities, with better stats than the average (including UNC - did not apply to ECU). I thought it might be my interviewing skills, but after 6 acceptances, including an Ivy, I don't think so. I am a white male from a two parent home in the US suburbs. Once they have their quota of us, it's over for liberal leaning schools. We are just not interesting, or disadvantaged enough for their mission. I have an uncle who is a high school guidance counselor, who gave me great insight 4 years ago trying to get into colleges: "Most elite schools are trying to cook the perfect social stew. Once they have their allotment of carrots, even the perfect carrot is out of luck. Unless of course you can convince them you are a pea!"

Move on, and accept that this is unfortunately the way it is in the 21st century US. You will get in somewhere, and that school will benefit from your loyalty (for believing in you) for the next 50 years.

I agree with you 100%. I just think it's the 21st century and admissions shouldn't be based on ethnicity. I also did think something was wrong with my interview skills, but I got multiple other acceptances and I'm a first time applicant. I really thought I rocked the interview. One of my interviewers told me "I will see you in August, you are a great fit for ECU!" and made it very clear that I will get in. I don't understand why you would do that to an interviewee, that's not right.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those of you not accepted this year, keep your head up and keep improving. The school will recognize your dedication to become a dentist- no matter your ethnicity. I am more than happy to help you with your application/essays/questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Any applicants care to share their stats? Specifically curious to community service/outreach and also when you submitted your app.

Does anyone have an update as to when ECU will fill their class or if they filled it last week? Time seems to be running out.

To those of you not accepted this year, keep your head up and keep improving. The school will recognize your dedication to become a dentist- no matter your ethnicity. I am more than happy to help you with your application/essays/questions!
I am curious, You status says pre-dental and new to the , yet you are offering help with applications, and essays? Can you elaborate more of your qualifications to make these offers. Thank you for your time.
Sorry to hear that. Let me know if you need any help with your app or what I did to improve. Best of luck.
TheVertitas: Can you elaborate on your experience to be able to offer assistance? Have you been accepted to ECU? Your stats say your new to SDN and pre-dental. Thanks for your time.

I am curious, You status says pre-dental and new to the , yet you are offering help with applications, and essays? Can you elaborate more of your qualifications to make these offers. Thank you for your time.

TheVertitas: Can you elaborate on your experience to be able to offer assistance? Have you been accepted to ECU? Your stats say your new to SDN and pre-dental. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone that was denied gone through an 'exit interview' with Mr. Lowery? Was it helpful? What did yall talk about

I had an exit interview with Mr. Lowery in April/May of 2013. PM if you have any questions, for me it was very helpful.

I had an exit interview with Mr. Lowery in April/May of 2013. PM if you have any questions, for me it was very helpful.

Can you have an exit interview over the phone or do you have to do it in person?

Can you have an exit interview over the phone or do you have to do it in person?

You can do it over the phone, I personally suggest to do it in person if you can!

Sorry to hear that. Let me know if you need any help with your app or what I did to improve. Best of luck.
Could you give info about the application. Interested in shadow/volunteer hours GPA, DAT, research etc. Would be greatly appreciated!

Still waiting to hear back. Not accepted or denied and it is now may. I got the continued interest email as well saying "We fully understand how challenging it is to be waiting for admissions decisions, and wanted to check in with you at this time. We realize that it’s possible that you’ve already accepted an offer from another dental school, and we would therefore like to verify your continued interest in pursuing admission to the ECU School of Dental Medicine. Your application is still under review by the Admissions Committee, and although we have extended a substantial number of offers of admission, there are still positions available within the class of 2019 cohort."

Still waiting to hear back. Not accepted or denied and it is now may. I got the continued interest email as well saying "We fully understand how challenging it is to be waiting for admissions decisions, and wanted to check in with you at this time. We realize that it’s possible that you’ve already accepted an offer from another dental school, and we would therefore like to verify your continued interest in pursuing admission to the ECU School of Dental Medicine. Your application is still under review by the Admissions Committee, and although we have extended a substantial number of offers of admission, there are still positions available within the class of 2019 cohort."

I received that email as well but I'm not sure what's going on. I have already made plans for the upcoming year and will consider anything else a pleasant surprise!

I received that email as well but I'm not sure what's going on. I have already made plans for the upcoming year and will consider anything else a pleasant surprise!
I am remaining optimistic as well. I have made plans for the next year but I will take ECU's acceptance in a heartbeat if I do get accepted. Who knows, anything can happen!

Could you give info about the application. Interested in shadow/volunteer hours GPA, DAT, research etc. Would be greatly appreciated!

HI Predentjim,

I would say having significant volunteer and shadow hours are a must. I've had a service history since my early high school years and this includes dental and non-dental organizations. I've shadowed several dentists over the same time period as well. If you do the math, the amount of hours are up there. My GPA and DAT are above the average profiles as well.

I'm not going to give specific numbers because each applicant is different and has their own set of circumstances. I'm considered non-traditional now and my path is very much akin to that. I remember reading these threads and becoming discouraged because someone had X GPA and X amount of whatever. You have a to find a way to make yourself a distinct individual for ECU's program. A history of service is strongly hinted and encouraged in many of the school's presentations. And lastly, understanding yourself and conveying that to the interviewer is a must.