The official "explain your username" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLabel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay folks, we've had a lot of new members lately posting under some interesting e-handles. Not to mention some older members with extremely unique names. In this thread, explain why you chose your username, and take credit for your creativity!

I'll kick us off. Johnny Walker Blue Label, also known as "Mr. Walker's Amber Restorative", is the finest blended scotch on the planet. To quote the inimitable Christopher Hitchens (who was discussing a sister JW product, Black Label):

"The best blended Scotch in the history of the world... breakfast of champions, accept no substitute."

Your turn, SDN. Let's hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Just keep swimming.
Fish are friends, not food.

Enough said. :D

Okay folks, we've had a lot of new members lately posting under some interesting e-handles. Not to mention some older members with extremely unique names. In this thread, explain why you chose your username, and take credit for your creativity!

I'll kick us off. Johnny Walker Blue Label, also known as "Mr. Walker's Amber Restorative", is the finest blended scotch on the planet. To quote the inimitable Christopher Hitchens (who was discussing a sister JW product, Black Label):

"The best blended Scotch in the history of the world... breakfast of champions, accept no substitute."

Your turn, SDN. Let's hear it!

+1 for the Hitchens reference

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was drunk one night and couldnt fall asleep, so I started watching Lord of the Rings and browsing the internet to increase my chances of getting accepted into medical school.

Reactions: 6 users
Ace-Co-A is just Acetyl-CoA. I studied biochem in college.

Reactions: 1 users
Danish: Jeg håber
English: I hope

Fun fact: pronounced "yai hohbah," but feel free to pronounce it however you've been imagining it to be :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Just keep swimming.
Fish are friends, not food.

Enough said. :D
wVoDSgL.jpg

Nickname from way back in junior high when everyone said "ownage." So a portmanteau of my name and ownage.

Reactions: 2 users
I was eating gumdrops at the time.

Fun fact: pronounced "yai hohbah," but feel free to pronounce it however you've been imagining it to be :laugh:
Wait a minute... did you just say your username is pronounced "yehhhhhboiiiiiii"????

I was drunk one night and couldnt fall asleep, so I started watching Lord of the Rings and browsing the internet to increase my chances of getting accepted into medical school.

Been there brother.

My name is actually Rik, and Rik, Rik1, Rik11, and Rik111 were taken.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I learned to tap dance in high school because our school was doing 42nd Street as its spring musical.

I'm Julius Pepperwood, ex-cop, ex-marine. I'm from Chicago. Thin crust pizza? No thanks-I'm from Chicago.

Reactions: 4 users
My username was sitting in a bowl in my lap as I tried desperately to think of a username.

Reactions: 10 users
I created my account after watching the movie Sin Nombre. I figured it was appropriate for an anonymous forum.

I always believed the key to being successful in life is listening. And the 23 is because I'm huge Jordan fan.

At work I use a mousepad with all the amino acids on it. Saw histidine in the top left corner. Done.

I created my account after watching the movie Sin Nombre. I figured it was appropriate for an anonymous forum.
I didn't know there was a movie, but I always thought it was a fitting message board handle too :thumbup:

Yo Yo Da, Yai Hohbah, and Dagobah (home planet of Yoda) are all oddly similar.

Mine is an absurdly corny organic chem pun.

Reactions: 13 users
Used to be on the press team of a moderately famous news website. La Presse is French for "The Press." You premeds don't even know.

I played this really fun game called Dark Souls, and a character, Solaire, was a true bro. Pretty funny lines (Super hard game by the way)

'I think Dark Souls is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills ded guys and doesnt afraid of anything.'

eprnk2.jpg

Dat Radiohead tho

:thumbup:

I'm a huge Subaru nut and they are known for their engines with horizontally opposed cylinders, or as they are often colloquially called, flat four-cylinder engines. Hence, FlatFour. :)

Gym teacher in 8th grade decided to blurt out a name cuz he can't pronounce the real one

Favorite comic book character. 'Nuff said.

The sazerac cocktail is old, based in New Orleans, and full of rye whiskey.

Kind of like me.

I wanted Biology to be a part of it, but I also wanted an animal to go after the Bio part. So Beaver seemed like a decent fit.... BioBeaver.

I also like to think that if any animal were to do scientific research, it would probably be the beaver.

I'm a huge fan of the San Jose Sharks and "Shark Byte" is also a cool pre-game show that one of the Sharks' broadcasters runs.

Jellyfish was already taken... :'(

My favorite character on grey's!

I like alliteration and wanted something that sounded really cool. I'm not actually in the military or anything like that.

Frazier was original name in 2009... then I changed it. Now its back to the original form. The handle you are referring to meant nothing...As in I needed a new temp name so blind-picked it from a name book.

Status
Not open for further replies.