**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please say what it says if you get an SMP?
Master of Science or Special Masters Program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can someone please say what is says if you get an SMP?
Master of Science or Special Masters Program?
Presumably you mean on your transcript, and/or what you can put on your resume?

It varies by program. Most are MS. Boston grants an MA. Tulane ACP gives a certificate. Not all SMPs are degree-granting. "SMP" isn't a type of degree.

Ideally you don't even have time to care what degree you got because you're starting med school. There's no other reason to do an SMP.

Best of luck to you.

Presumably you mean on your transcript, and/or what you can put on your resume?

It varies by program. Most are MS. Boston grants an MA. Tulane ACP gives a certificate. Not all SMPs are degree-granting. "SMP" isn't a type of degree.

Ideally you don't even have time to care what degree you got because you're starting med school. There's no other reason to do an SMP.

Best of luck to you.

I meant to say, on your resume.
Presuming that some SMPs grant a degree of science, I wondered whether if it said on the piece of paper that you might receive "Masters of Science" or "Special Masters Program", and yes, I am aware that some schools grant MA rather than MS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant to say, on your resume.
Presuming that some SMPs grant a degree of science, I wondered whether if it said on the piece of paper that you might receive "Masters of Science" or "Special Masters Program", and yes, I am aware that some schools grant MA rather than MS.

Well, I did the MS in Biomedical Sciences at RFU-CMS for my SMP, so I have a plaque that says I have an MS in Biomedical Sciences. That and a dollar will get you a cheap cup of coffee. But the point is that like Dr. Midlife, I now have the opportunity to earn an MD degree at a US allopathic medical school after 4 more years of study. You don't want to go to an SMP program unless you are using it as a stepping stone to medical school. Almost all degrees offered in SMP-type programs are useless by themselves.

Hey there,
I am currently in my last year of undergraduate at a top 20 school
cGPA 3.1 and MCAT of 33P
Reason for low gpa is my first year which I royally messed up, been continuously improving since.
What do you think my chances of getting into a SMP program are? And if I do well in that what are the chances of getting into the medical school of that university and other medical schools in the states..
Thanks

PS - Do you think that with those grades a SMP would help me or would I be better off spending the year off polishing my resume?

Greetings! Any advice from fellow SDNs is appreciated.

Personal Info: 24 y/o, Virginia Resident, White male

Stats: AMCAS - cGPA 3.20 sGPA 3.23
AAMCOAS - cGPA 3.35 sGPA 3.47

MCAT - 29P 10/10/9
Volunteer/ Shadow - ~200 hr/ ~ 50 hr
Scribe - starting a 1 year commitment
Small Business Owner - 5 years
Currently seeking research opportunities

Would I benefit from an SMP program? Virginia has 5 operational medical schools (4 MD/ 1 DO) but I'm definitely open to out-of-state programs also. From my research it seems that an allopathic school would be a better bet for orthopedics than its osteopathic cousin. Is this a fair assesment? I'm willing to do a 1 or 2 year smp if it can give me the bump that is needed to reach this goal. Which programs are best for someone with my stats.

Hello -

I currently have a 3.4 GPA in a Law undergrad at a canadian university (I'm graduating in December and will probably have a 3.5 GPA by that time). I recently decided that would like to apply to med school - I already have my science prerequisites from a 2 year Health Science program that I completed prior to my Bachelors degree (Diploma of Collegial Studies), where I graduated with an overall average of 84% and an average of 84% for the science classes...I don't know what this translates to in terms of GPA.

I haven't taken the MCATs yet so I'm planning on taking them in April. However, I'm going to have a gap year because I can only apply to medical school for the term starting in September 2014 - I was wondering if a SMP or Postbaccalaureate would be beneficial in my situation?

Also, if I do well on the MCAT, are my chances of getting into med school good? Would they consider the fact that I come from a Law background and therefore be more lenient with my average GPA? I just really screwed up my first year by getting a 2.7 but then I haven't gotten lower than a 3.8 ever since - its just impossible to come back from that terrible first year.

I am sooo confused with the whole process of applying to american medical schools so any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you

Background:

Graduated UG in 09
BCPM: 2.4
Overall GPA: 2.6
Major: Health Sciences
Mcat from 07: 31R

Major Set Back/Reason for poor GPA: I overloaded on science courses, and took an additional 5-7 science courses (bio,chem) to improve my GPA, but instead I made it even worse. Did not have a strong study etiquette and didn't take UG as serious as I should have.

What have I done since 2009-Now after UG:

Worked at the mayors office - Thought I wanted to go into law, but than decided against it after my experience here.

Started small online marketing consulting to local businesses - I know how to make websites and generate traffic and sales via internet, so I started my own shop and sold my services to local businesses

Worked as an In house Online Marketer (1yr)
Currently Working at a top Online Marketing Agency as a Consultant (Current job)

Why Do I want to get back into Medicine?

I am sick of the corporate beaurocratic shovel work, job satisfaction is non-existent. I have recently shadowed doctors and done some volunteering at hospitals and clinics to gain exposure to medicine to see if it's something I would like to go back into. Long story short, I would be happier and better off going into med than staying at my current job.

My road to medschool:

Option 1: Go to Carribean MD

Option 2: Do a post-bacc for 1-2 yrs, retake the MCAT and shoot for a 33+ score, apply after Post Bacc assuming GPA is maintained above a 3.5, if I don't get into a US MD after post bacc than apply for a SMP that has a linkage with an MD as a plan B.

Ideally, I would like to prevent my chances from being admitted to highly competitive residencies, hence the caution with going Carribean. However, I am currently 26 yrs old and Option 2 route is a 2-3 yr process before I have a legitimate chance of getting into a US MD.

Let me know what your thoughts are, do you think Option 2 is even worth it, or should I shoot for carrib?

Thanks,

Background:

Graduated UG in 09
BCPM: 2.4
Overall GPA: 2.6
Major: Health Sciences
Mcat from 07: 31R

Major Set Back/Reason for poor GPA: I overloaded on science courses, and took an additional 5-7 science courses (bio,chem) to improve my GPA, but instead I made it even worse. Did not have a strong study etiquette and didn't take UG as serious as I should have.

What have I done since 2009-Now after UG:

Worked at the mayors office - Thought I wanted to go into law, but than decided against it after my experience here.

Started small online marketing consulting to local businesses - I know how to make websites and generate traffic and sales via internet, so I started my own shop and sold my services to local businesses

Worked as an In house Online Marketer (1yr)
Currently Working at a top Online Marketing Agency as a Consultant (Current job)

Why Do I want to get back into Medicine?

I am sick of the corporate beaurocratic shovel work, job satisfaction is non-existent. I have recently shadowed doctors and done some volunteering at hospitals and clinics to gain exposure to medicine to see if it's something I would like to go back into. Long story short, I would be happier and better off going into med than staying at my current job.

My road to medschool:

Option 1: Go to Carribean MD

Option 2: Do a post-bacc for 1-2 yrs, retake the MCAT and shoot for a 33+ score, apply after Post Bacc assuming GPA is maintained above a 3.5, if I don't get into a US MD after post bacc than apply for a SMP that has a linkage with an MD as a plan B.

Ideally, I would like to prevent my chances from being admitted to highly competitive residencies, hence the caution with going Carribean. However, I am currently 26 yrs old and Option 2 route is a 2-3 yr process before I have a legitimate chance of getting into a US MD.

Let me know what your thoughts are, do you think Option 2 is even worth it, or should I shoot for carrib?

Thanks,

I just finished the SMP at Tufts and can honestly tell you that your GPA is too low to be competitive for admission at top tier SMP programs. I know that most SMP programs with linkage usually have a cutoff at 3.0. I would go back and retake some classes and apply for DO since they replace retakes when calculating your BCPM on ACOMAS. A lot of my classmates from Tufts have already been accepted to med schools and I personally have gotten one interview invite (had a weak MCAT retake), but had none the previous cycle, so the SMP option can help. I would consider the DO route and retake the core sciences that you did poorly in.

I just finished the SMP at Tufts and can honestly tell you that your GPA is too low to be competitive for admission at top tier SMP programs. I know that most SMP programs with linkage usually have a cutoff at 3.0. I would go back and retake some classes and apply for DO since they replace retakes when calculating your BCPM on ACOMAS. A lot of my classmates from Tufts have already been accepted to med schools and I personally have gotten one interview invite (had a weak MCAT retake), but had none the previous cycle, so the SMP option can help. I would consider the DO route and retake the core sciences that you did poorly in.

Yea, the problem is, I took an extra yr in UG to retake my poor science courses, which didn't make much improvement to my BCPM.

Currently I reside in Chicago, and am thinking of trying out the Northwestern Post Bacc program for next fall and in the mean time preparing for the MCAT and taking it in March 2013. The goal with the MCAT is to shoot above a 33 (ideally 35+).

I am thinking it would be best to take a post bacc program prior to an SMP, due to my low gpa.

I would like to avoid the carribean option if possible, reason being of hindering my chances to competitive residencies after Medschool. However I am still weighing the Carrib option, as it would allow me to begin Medschool sonner rather than 2-3 yrs of extra Post Bacc work and taking in loans that don't have a garuntee payoff.

I find myself in a similar precarious situation as many who have posted in this thread; any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Grades:

Overall: 3.3

BCPM: 3.0
Courses Taken: Physiology, Anatomy, Oncology, Microbiology, Immunology, Ecology, Cellular Biology I, II, and III, Virology, Calculus, Physics I and II, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry I and II, General Chemistry I and II and Developmental Biology.

Major(s): Biology and English

Minor(s): Philosophy and Chemistry

Scores: MCAT 38R, LSAT 167

Miscellaneous: Two years of hospital internships in various departments that came down to approximately 300 hours. Another 500+ hours of volunteer work in association with my clubs/organizations. Leadership postions in said clubs/organizations.

Reasons for GPA: There's obviously no one to blame except for myself for that GPA. I overloaded on units in attempt to finish my degrees and minors, and I worked full time from when I began study at the university, and I still am. I struggled to juggle every commitment, and as a result some things gave in.

I'm much more interested in an MD rather than an OD because of the path I want to take (oncology), but beggers can't be choosers.

I find myself in a similar precarious situation as many who have posted in this thread; any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Grades:

Overall: 3.3

BCPM: 3.0
Courses Taken: Physiology, Anatomy, Oncology, Microbiology, Immunology, Ecology, Cellular Biology I, II, and III, Virology, Calculus, Physics I and II, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry I and II, General Chemistry I and II and Developmental Biology.

Major(s): Biology and English

Minor(s): Philosophy and Chemistry

Scores: MCAT 38R, LSAT 167

Miscellaneous: Two years of hospital internships in various departments that came down to approximately 300 hours. Another 500+ hours of volunteer work in association with my clubs/organizations. Leadership postions in said clubs/organizations.

Reasons for GPA: There's obviously no one to blame except for myself for that GPA. I overloaded on units in attempt to finish my degrees and minors, and I worked full time from when I began study at the university, and I still am. I struggled to juggle every commitment, and as a result some things gave in.

I'm much more interested in an MD rather than an OD because of the path I want to take (oncology), but beggers can't be choosers.
SMP for MD - done and dusted

Members don't see this ad :)
ive been reading this post and noticed that no one has mentioned the MSGM program at USC Keck School of Medicine, that sounds great that i'm applying to for the fall.

Does anyone know of any other SMPs in California?????

ive been reading this post and noticed that no one has mentioned the MSGM program at USC Keck School of Medicine, that sounds great that i'm applying to for the fall.

Does anyone know of any other SMPs in California?????
The MSGM program has been discussed at great length in this forum

Correction: Tufts has both a medical and vet school.

Thread. Thanks a lot for all the info.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience with the Dartmouth program? I'm a Dartmouth '12 and I'd love to go there for med school.

I just spoke with admissions and it doesn't seem like you take any classes with medical students/med school classes. How important is this? Can you use those classes for credit? Also, the MPH is on a highpass/pass/nopass, etc. system, although they said I could change this into a GPA for the AMCAS. I understand that this is not the "strength" of a SMP, but I am still considering it.

I was accepted to the WashU post-bacc premed certificate program, and I'm just wondering how a certificate program like this compares to a SMP like Dartmouth's for MPH if I've completed all of the medschool prereqs, but my cGPA = 3.22, and sGPA = 3.1??

Which would be better for my situation?

Thanks again!
For starters, the Dartmouth MPH is not an SMP in any way. When this thread was started in 2006, Dartmouth had a one year masters through the old TDI school, and that MS was chock full of hard science and had a bit of epidemiology in it. That program no longer exists. So no, there is no Dartmouth SMP.

Next, I suggest you should regroup, and do a ton of reading in the low GPA thread (the one below that has a half million views). A summary of your state of misinformation follows.

Let's go through this in terms of messaging.

Finished message #1: Your GPA says "I am not academically prepared for med school." (this is fine...this is why 80% of people come to the postbac forum)

Finished message #2: Your post here says "I want to go to med school and I recognize I need to do more academic work to make that happen." (great!)

Implied message #3: Focusing on tippy top schools like WashU and Dartmouth says "I am focusing on school prestige." (I suggest there are better things to focus on.)

Potential message #4: Enrollment and/or completion of an MPH program, such as the Dartmouth one, says "I'm really interested in how healthcare works." (This has nothing to do with academic preparation for med school.)

Implied message #5: Consideration of an MPH program to counter a 3.2 says "I don't understand the importance, in med school admissions, of my academic record in hard sciences, and/or I'm looking for a quick easy fix for my low GPA." (...which is why I'm suggesting you need to regroup and study the low GPA thread.)

Potential message #6: Enrollment and/or completion of an evening postbac, such as the WashU program, says "I'm willing to move to Missouri to get the WashU brand on my resume, and I either don't care, or I don't realize, that an evening program is not the same as a regular day program." (...Missouri? Do you realize Harvard Extension or Berkeley Extension, or, pretty much any school closer to where you can get free rent from your parents, will give you the same result?)

You can't get into any good med school with a 3.2 and an MPH. It makes no difference whatever if that MPH is from a good school.

Of course you'll say "but I went to Dartmouth!" And you're likely thinking that med schools will cut you some slack. The problem is that med schools won't cut you slack for a 3.2, because med schools don't have to, because med schools get about 5000 apps (each) for about 150 seats (each), and you're up against candidates who got better GPAs at schools as good or better than Dartmouth.

Spend some time in the low GPA thread to assess your options.

Best of luck to you.

I'm from St. Louis. I guess maybe you assumed from the Dartmouth thing that I was from the East coast? Not sure if there is any other reason why you're suggesting harvard/berkeley extension over WashU. If there is, I'd be very interested to hear about it.
Oh then Missouri's convenient. Good.
I contacted the MPH program at Dartmouth and got the same answer you gave me. I wasn't aiming for Dartmouth MPH because of prestige, nor have I ever assumed that the Dartmouth name would make up for a lower GPA. I simply thought it'd be nice to be back at Dartmouth/Hanover to complete an SMP (which I now know Dartmouth is not).
You may have the opportunity to do that MPH year at Dartmouth, down the road, such as if you need to plan an MD app year. There are less expensive ways to get an MPH, but the work being done at Dartmouth makes it pretty darned compelling.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks again for the response.

Per your other thread, where you're saying you've already mostly maxed out undergrad prereqs & upper div science, yes, you should go straight to a good SMP.

Unfortunately an April MCAT is way too late to get into a good SMP for fall 2013. You won't get your score until late May or early June.

But it is what it is. In your shoes I'd prioritize like this:
1. MCAT. Get a wicked high score, and take the test only once. All eggs in this basket, don't nickel and dime it. April 2013 is no better than June or even September, if you need more time to really kill it. (April would be ideal for MD apps, but you're not ready to apply MD yet. Unless you break 36 or so.)
2. Be creative and dream a bit about what you could do with the 2013-2014 academic year. Travel? Work with a non-profit? Learn classical piano? Wait tables and go to auditions in NYC? Take a bunch of upper div science in an area you haven't seen yet (neuro, micro, immuno etc.)? Do the Dartmouth MPH?
3. Be all tidy and ready when SMP apps open in fall 2013.

Taking the MCAT only once and applying MD only once, both with your best possible effort, is much more important than following the calendar.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the response.

Last edited:
hopefully put my GPA near the 3.33 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA range per my calculations. Would it be foolish to apply this cycle with that GPA, and the (purely hypothetical) >36 MCAT score you mentioned?
I would say yes - thats about 1.5 standard dev below normal for the cGPA for a matriculant at an MD school. That puts you in the bottom 10% of accepted students. Unless you are a minority or a play D1 sports then your odds are def not good

*Edit - the AAMC data suggests your odds are good (https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/table24-mcatgpagridall0911.pdf) but hypothetically putting yourself in the top 5% of all MCAT scores is a bit much IMO*

Could you a little friendly advice. Have always done relatively well on standardized tests and was averaging 32-33 on MCAT practice tests, but only got a 25S on the test (got a 6 on Physical and a 10, 9 on other parts). I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.1 on sciences. I took the GRE and got a 164 and 157, which I am hoping should be good enough to get me into SMP's. I would be happy with any med school, but would like allopathic if possible I would be happy with any med school). I was going to take the MCAT again in January, but with finals, I frankly do not think I will have enough time to be ready. My question is this: I would be thrilled to be admitted into an SMP with a strong linkage (such as Temple or Rosalind Franklin)? Would I still need a much better MCAT? Also, if I am fortunate enough to be accepted and I start in the summer, when would be the latest MCAT I could take and still be accepted into med school without taking a year off after my masters? I have been reading the threads, but could really use some input on the SMP which would give me the best chance of admission/linkage to med school, as well as when to take the MCAT again. Thanks very much.

Could you a little friendly advice. Have always done relatively well on standardized tests and was averaging 32-33 on MCAT practice tests, but only got a 25S on the test (got a 6 on Physical and a 10, 9 on other parts). I have a 3.4 GPA and a 3.1 on sciences. I took the GRE and got a 164 and 157, which I am hoping should be good enough to get me into SMP's. I would be happy with any med school, but would like allopathic if possible I would be happy with any med school). I was going to take the MCAT again in January, but with finals, I frankly do not think I will have enough time to be ready. My question is this: I would be thrilled to be admitted into an SMP with a strong linkage (such as Temple or Rosalind Franklin)? Would I still need a much better MCAT? Also, if I am fortunate enough to be accepted and I start in the summer, when would be the latest MCAT I could take and still be accepted into med school without taking a year off after my masters? I have been reading the threads, but could really use some input on the SMP which would give me the best chance of admission/linkage to med school, as well as when to take the MCAT again. Thanks very much.

I'm not an expert here but I think you should try to shoot a little higher. Maybe you could take the MCAT again in early spring? You can submit your applications now and then update them w/ the new MCAT score. Of course that's if each SMP allows it. Some of the programs have minimum MCAT scores that are higher than yours. Since I've already done some research, I'll just post it here for you. Your MCAT score is the minimum at a number of places so if you really want to be safe you need to attempt for a higher score.

Drexel IMS : 27 to apply
Georgetown: 28 to be competitive
NYMC Accelerated: 27 to apply
Loyola MAMS: 25 to apply
VCU: 25 to apply, 28 for interview w/ MD school
BU MAMS: 25 to apply, avg 29
Rosalind Franklin BMS: avg 28, BUT they do accept GRE scores instead of MCAT! I have a friend of mine who got in that way. I think she may have had a 25 too.
Temple: need 30 MCAT and 3.5 gpa in program for direct matriculation to their medical school, you can take the MCAT again this year and try to get a 30+ or you would have to take it during the post bac program (which would make it a lot harder for you to focus on classes)
EVMS: 27 to apply
U Cinci: 27 to apply

Thanks...I am hoping the GRE may get me into some SMP's. I assume they would take that instead of the MCAT? All opinions are appreciated.

Does anyone know if Wayne State University's BMS program counts as an SMP? I have a 3.21cGPA/2.87sGPA/33MCAT and got into the program for January. Should I go to it? Should I apply to one of these other programs (like Rosalind Franklin)? Should I just retake some science classes and go DO?

Does anyone know if Wayne State University's BMS program counts as an SMP? I have a 3.21cGPA/2.87sGPA/33MCAT and got into the program for January. Should I go to it? Should I apply to one of these other programs (like Rosalind Franklin)? Should I just retake some science classes and go DO?

I am going this Winter. I know it has a track record of improving and getting people into medical school. Personally I don't think it can hurt to do this program. There are a few thread here with more info on it as well.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=923621

THeres a brochure in the below thread.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=827901

Last edited:
I was wondering if a masters or SMS program will be beneficial in my case? I'm applying to MD schools this cycle and so far no interviews (applied late aug, never again). Anyway, I'm preparing to reapply early next cycle and trying to decide what to do for that application year since I doubt I'll get in this year.

My stats aren't great. 3.6cGPA, 3.4sGPA, 28 MCAT TWICE :( I will retake the MCAT, and REALLY study for it this time since I will not have a full-time work load like the past two times.

My other option is to find a clinically related job. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

What if I have GPA of 2.96 ish
Could I still apply?
So most require DAT / MCAT scores, not GRE?

Will SMP help in my situation?
I went to a University which I failed out of with a 1.3 GPA.
Went through military and now back in school with some focus.
I am currently going to a community college knocking out some pre-req for a 4 year university with hopes of getting into med school. Currently I have a 3.4 GPA at my community college but since it averages out it gives me a 2.5 GPA.
I am hoping to transfer next year to a university and keep pushing my GPA up.
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Will SMP help in my situation?
I went to a University which I failed out of with a 1.3 GPA.
Went through military and now back in school with some focus.
I am currently going to a community college knocking out some pre-req for a 4 year university with hopes of getting into med school. Currently I have a 3.4 GPA at my community college but since it averages out it gives me a 2.5 GPA.
I am hoping to transfer next year to a university and keep pushing my GPA up.
Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!
No, your job is to finish undergrad and avoid an SMP by getting a boatload of A's in lots of math and science classes.

Get that 3.4 up to 3.8+ and keep it there through university. Every grade you get that isn't an A, at this point, is a step away from med school.

This is not the forum for you - find the nontraditional forum for support getting through undergrad.

Best of luck to you.

Very useful and informative thread, thank you for your contributions Dr.Midlife and others.

Looking for some input.

I had a major GPA flop and became so discouraged that I was certain I'd never ever be accepted into med school, or any graduate program for that matter. I didn't even bother scheduling an MCAT after that horrid GPA flop. However, I recently heard about these SMP programs, and it gave me a small bit of hope that maybe, just maybe I may still have another shot.

cGPA: 3.35 , sGPA: 3.2

I had a horrible sophomore year, my grades plummeted mainly due to 3 courses.
Calc 1: W, W, D, A (yikes)
Physics 1: D, B
Org 1: D, F, B

I have no C's or other W's. The F and the D's *really* dragged down my GPA. I do have an upward trend in my GPA 3.4 jr year and 4.0 fall semester of Sr. year. Hoping for another 4.0 this semester.

Also I have done 2 summers worth of research and presented at a national conference.
I have a decent amount of volunteering, and will be working as a part-time ER scribe soon ( clinical experience + constant shadowing), eventually switching to full-time after graduation, or working as a CNA as well.

Bottom line:
I'd like to know if I still have any chance of getting into med school if I do well on the MCAT as well as some GPA work via SMP or pushing back my graduation date and doing more undergrad work ( another major? ) and if so which approach would be best?

Also, what financing options do I have for these SMP programs? I'm currently sitting on $20k worth of UG student loans, which I will attempt to pay most of immediately following graduation.

Honest, realistic , non-sugar coated/ harsh advice greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

ps. Saw someone mention something about being a minority earlier in the thread...I'm a minority. I don't like to consider or count on being 'minority/ disadvantaged' as being a factor in anything when it comes to these sorts of things but I think granted the situation I need every possible thing going for me, regardless of how minuscule. Will that play any role in my admission to SMP / Med school ?

Bottom line:
I'd like to know if I still have any chance of getting into med school if I do well on the MCAT as well as some GPA work via SMP or pushing back my graduation date and doing more undergrad work ( another major? ) and if so which approach would be best?
I vote SMP. Your MCAT is your fate, at this point.
Also, what financing options do I have for these SMP programs?
The "M" part of SMP means you're getting a graduate degree, which means you can get federal loans up to the cost of attendance. That doesn't count for non-degree SMPs like VCU and Tulane ACP.
I'm currently sitting on $20k worth of UG student loans, which I will attempt to pay most of immediately following graduation.
Med school costs more than 10x that load, so prioritize accordingly. By all means, pay it off if you can, but I don't see the point in postponing med school to pay off $20k when you'll owe at least $250k after med school.

Now, if that debt is private, then yes, you should pay it off before med school.
ps. Saw someone mention something about being a minority earlier in the thread...I'm a minority. I don't like to consider or count on being 'minority/ disadvantaged' as being a factor in anything when it comes to these sorts of things but I think granted the situation I need every possible thing going for me, regardless of how minuscule. Will that play any role in my admission to SMP / Med school ?
Minority doesn't matter. Underrepresented is what matters. So Hispanic, Black, Native American etc. East Asians are statistically overrepresented in medicine, fwiw.

Best of luck to you.

Hi, I am canadian and am looking to apply to an american med school. My GPA in law school was a 3.5 so I was thinking of doing an SMP to hopefully make me a better candidate since my GPA isn't quite there. I have all my science prerequisites (85% average) from before law school (2 year College Diploma).
Do you think an SMP would help me?
Are they even open to non-US citizens?
thank you :)

I'm sure someone asked this in the past 28 pages, but does anyone know if/where there's a more current list of ~20 SMPs with the highest matriculation rates into medical schools? Thanks.

sGPA -- 2.7
cGPA -- 3.1
MCAT -- not yet, will probably get btw 29-32
(in case you want to give me some input on my chances on SMPs or the big 4 Caribbean medical schools)
1) do your own HW - it has been asked, and answered
2) do not go to the Caribbean

The programs vary as to their openess to international students. At Regis, our Biomed MS will accept Canadian or other international citizens, but only with a US based undergraduate degree. With a one year intensive program, we have found it is just too hard for students who haven't yet studied in the US to make the transition both to graduate level work and to the US educational system in such a short timespan. For non-US citizens we ask for a pretty comprehensive plan as to how you will continue your education beyond our program. (This plan has to be more than just "I want to get in to med school in the US".) Programs want to be sure we are helping you reach an attainable goal. Financially it can be kind of tricky too, with extra hoops to jump through. But again, that varies a lot from school to school.

Graduating this year in May with a cGPA 2.7 GPA sGPA 2.8 wrote MCAT last year scored a 36, I do have an upward academic trend getting all A's in my courses so far this semester. Does my GPA prevent me from any chance of acceptance for any SMP program. I am unfortunately a Canadian citizen and graduating from University of British Columbia.
My ultimate goal is to gain admission into a US DO school as I know most US MD programs will not accept internationals and with my GPA I know it would never happen. Do you think DO admission down the road is still an attainable goal? Please don't hold back I can handle any type of criticism.

I want to avoid going Carib route at all costs, as I rather not be in half a million dollars in debt with no residency options.

I know I have to raise my GPA and I am prepared to do that, I'm still young being 21 years old turning 22 in May I was thinking delaying my graduation get my GPA up to a 3.0 then apply, I really need some advice.
Thoughts/Opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
Would a SMP help me or hurt me?

My numbers:

cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.42

MCAT 31R (10PS 10V 11B)

6 years of research in including almost 2 years after graduating from college.
Volunteered at a pediatric unit for about 70 hours.
Volunteered at an international hospital for an entire summer (full-time~300 hours)
Shadowed Internist (~40 hours)

I submitted my AMCAS late (early September) but I applied to over 30 schools. Finished all of my secondaries by the end of November. So far I haven't gotten any interviews. Should I consider enrolling in a SMP to enhance my application? Or should I just apply earlier and broader? Or should I do both? How well do I need to do in a SMP to stand out to adcoms? I'll appreciate any constructive feedback. Thanks!

Would a SMP help me or hurt me?

My numbers:

cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.42

MCAT 31R (10PS 10V 11B)

6 years of research in including almost 2 years after graduating from college.
Volunteered at a pediatric unit for about 70 hours.
Volunteered at an international hospital for an entire summer (full-time~300 hours)
Shadowed Internist (~40 hours)

I submitted my AMCAS late (early September) but I applied to over 30 schools. Finished all of my secondaries by the end of November. So far I haven't gotten any interviews. Should I consider enrolling in a SMP to enhance my application? Or should I just apply earlier and broader? Or should I do both? How well do I need to do in a SMP to stand out to adcoms? I'll appreciate any constructive feedback. Thanks!
Do not cross post - if anyone wants to answer or offer advice; the convo has started elsewhere

Any suggestions on programs similar to Georgetown's GEMS program?

quick question then (not sure if you answered this already)
once you complete your SMP and you are admitted to med school, will you be exempt from taking those courses that you took alongside with the medical students?

quick question then (not sure if you answered this already)
once you complete your SMP and you are admitted to med school, will you be exempt from taking those courses that you took alongside with the medical students?
Depends on the med school and your grade in the class. At my school, students are typically exempted from one class at most; (i.e. we had our SMP students skip biochem cos they took it with the prior med school class, and we had the MPH/Math Masters people skip our biostats class)

Is a SMP needed for me? I applied with a 3.74/34 but was late. i will most likely not get in this cycle ( 1 waitlist).

I spent a large portion of my time working on my applications while in school and dropped my GPA for senior year to a 2.9-3.0. My Junior year GPA was a 3.8

My overall GPA is a 3.58-3.60 w/ my 34 after Spring.

Postbacc 1 yr full time or SMP? (some people are recommending the SMP, I don't see how its necessary though)

Hey everyone! I'm new on this site- thought I'd try to get some opinions!

I'm applying to a few SMP Programs- Drexel, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin and Temple- and I REALLY WANT TO GET IN!!!

cGPA: 3.29
sGPA: 2.98 (it will be a 3.0 after this quarter)
MCAT: 30

4 years of independent molecular endocrinology research, developed a Sexual Reproductive Health Program, Exec Board of GlobeMed (global health organization), 3 years of clinical volunteering, Dean's List and several grants/fellowships awarded for my research.

Thoughts on my chances of acceptance??? Thank you!!!!

Last edited:
Also- I go to Northwestern University and my reason for a low GPA was a death in the family :(

I was wondering if SMP admissions gpa requirements include repeats? Is the cumulative gpa for undergrad they are looking for calculated like AMCAS gpa calculator?

Hey guys does anyone know which smp programs accept students for the spring semester.
I'm a CA resident. And I took the mcat 4/4/13 didn't go as planned so I'm retaking. Which means I won't be able to apply anywhere to start this fall. So my question is which programs enroll in the spring this way I have enough time to retake mcat an apply. I know USC global medicine accepts in the spring. But don't know which others do.

Thanks for all the help.