**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts on comparisons between the Rosalind Franklin and Loyola programs specifically?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I have a 3.4 sGPA and a 512 MCAT (Bio: 130 CARS: 126 Physical Sciences: 130 Psych/Soc: 126).
Good clinical exp
1 Year Undergrad Research
Lots of homeless outreach

I was wondering if I should or should not apply to an SMP?

Your recent grade trend, cGPA and state of residence are important here and important to answering questions about whether or not to do an SMP.

Any thoughts on comparisons between the Rosalind Franklin and Loyola programs specifically?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rosalind-franklin-bms-2015-2016.1095156/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rosalind-franklin-bms-2014-2015.1032544/

There is a thread every year on here about Rosalind Franklins BMS program and you can get tons of first hand experiences and opinions and perspectives about it if you take the time to read through it. I linked 2 of the years above, there are many more. Strongly suggest you take the time to go through all of them if you are really considering the program. Long story short the unofficial linkage has been declining in the program. You take classes with MS1s, and about half of the class that starts out in the program will end up at a US MD school. Not the greatest odds but for last years entering class the stats were 3.2/27. So they are pretty low and you will have lots of low stat applicants competing with you. It's a gamble because the BMS program is basically RFU or bust for MD, but if you do well in the BMS, you will likely get into Rosalind Franklin.

I dont know much about Loyolas program. I have heard you dont directly take classes with MS1's which is a negative, but it also does seem to have a decent reputation and track record of getting people into US MD programs. The unofficial linkage to Loyola's MD school isnt that high.

Members don't see this ad :)
being _enrolled_ in a program isn't going to get you much farther. you'd need to _complete_ a program before reapplying. so my first question for you is do you see how you aren't ready to reapply this coming summer?

see the reapplicant forum to learn about common mistakes and whether you made them. such as applying late. such as not getting grownup unfriendly review of your essays. such as not getting a DO letter.

meanwhile this forum is a substantially better source of info than the lists put out by aamc and aacom. spend some hours reading. that will get you much better info than individual responses to your questions.

best of luck to you.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out! Not as SDN active as perhaps I should be so I just saw your reply today.

Great advice, I hope to follow up on that.

Can anyone speak to which SMPs are best for admission directly out of the masters? I know Georgetown says on their website they highly encourage applying while in the program as opposed to, for example, Loyola. Thoughts?

Can anyone speak to which SMPs are best for admission directly out of the masters? I know Georgetown says on their website they highly encourage applying while in the program as opposed to, for example, Loyola. Thoughts?
generally that's less a function of the SMP and more a function of the student.

the students that have successful same-year-as-SMP MD app years tend to be the ones that don't really need an SMP and/or were on MD waitlists before starting the SMP. lots and lots of those students at the good SMPs.

exceptions are temple, which has high minimums, and tulane ACP, which requires applicants to be waitlisted at an MD or DO program. after those 2, you won't see predictable results.

and whatever success rates you do see, they don't tell the whole story.

generally by applying MD same-year-as-SMP, you're asking med schools to give you full credit for being ENROLLED in a thing vs COMPLETING a thing. there's too much competition for you to get the benefit of the doubt.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi All,

I've found a lot of great information reading this forum and would really appreciate any advice on my medical school/SMP situation and hear the realistic truth about my chances here.

I attended UC Davis for undergrad and majored in Biomedical Engineering. I'll spare you the details but unfortunately while in undergrad I didn't know I wanted to go to medical school, resulting in my utterly atrocious numbers - sGPA is 2.7 (death sentence GPA) and cGPA is a 2.75.

After graduating, I began working in the Medical Device industry. My work history includes some 'name-brand' companies such as Johnson & Johnson and Medtronic. The experiences were very valuable to me, but I am not sure how impactful it may be to adcoms. At the least, working in industry was a major factor in my decision to pursue medicine.

During this time I also matriculated into a MS Program in Biomedical Engineering at a Cal State school, (not as competitive to adcoms as my undergrad institution) and have been pursuing my MS part-time ever since. My graduate GPA is a 3.75 right now (I may be able to ever-so-slightly bump that up) but I understand that graduate GPA is worth little to adcoms, especially considering my pitiful undergrad grades. I plan to complete my MS at the end of this calendar year. I'm taking biochem along with my thesis this semester, and am pretty sure I just did well on the first midterm, since most of it was review from protein engineering.

Now, surely nothing I've said has convinced anyone I have even a snowball's chance in hell at medical school. Here are the factors that make me think I might have a tiny sliver of hope if all goes well from here on out: Since last summer I have joined a lab at a very good university, doing research on a neuroscience and engineering project. I plan to continue this research through the end of the year as I complete my thesis. (I may have a chance to contribute to the field of neuroscience through this work. Exciting!)

Additionally, I recently accepted a job as a Biomedical/Clinical Engineer at a nationally renowned hospital. Evaluating my med school chances has been a frustrating, depressing experience, so this opportunity has truly been a saving grace for me; even if I cannot achieve my dream of getting into medical school, I can see myself being happy as a clinical engineer and providing patient care, albeit indirectly. Last week I went into the OR (went in and out o 4-5 different procedures) with the biomeds when they received calls. It was the most alive I have felt in a long time. I absolutely loved it and repaired some medical equipment in the shop which was rewarding.

I'm planning to take the MCAT in July or August. I think I will need 6+ months to study for the MCAT since I am working and doing my Masters as well. The SMS programs I have been considering are Georgetown, USC Keck Global Medicine MS, Temple ACMS (this one is a postbac actually), and Case Western MS Medical Physiology.

Assuming I complete my MS and am able to get a stellar MCAT score (big assumption, but if this isn't true then I have no hope) here are some of the questions I have:
-Am I correct in assuming I would still have no chance at direct admission to an MD medical school? Do I have a chance at getting into these SMPs?
-Will the medical device industry experience be beneficial?
-Is studying for the MCAT while working + doing a masters suicide, even giving myself 6 months?
-Should I be considering more postbac/certificate programs instead of SMPs?
-Will excellent performance in a SMP give a realistic shot at med school?

Thanks for reading my long story and I greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone may have on how to strengthen my application to medical school.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've found a lot of great information reading this forum and this is myI'd really appreciate any advice on my medical school/SMP situation and hear the realistic truth about my chances here.

I attended UC Davis for undergrad and majored in Biomedical Engineering. I'll spare you the details but unfortunately while in undergrad I didn't know I wanted to go to medical school, resulting in my utterly atrocious numbers - sGPA is 2.6 (death sentence GPA) and cGPA is a 2.75.

After graduating, I began working in the Medical Device industry. My work history includes some 'name-brand' companies such as Johnson & Johnson and Medtronic. The experiences were very valuable to me, but I am not sure how impactful it may be to adcoms. At the least, working in industry was a major factor in my decision to pursue medicine.

During this time I also matriculated into a MS Program in Biomedical Engineering at a Cal State school, (not as competitive to adcoms as my undergrad institution) and have been pursuing my MS part-time ever since. My graduate GPA is a 3.75 right now (I may be able to ever-so-slightly bump that up) but I understand that graduate GPA is worth little to adcoms, especially considering my pitiful undergrad grades. I plan to complete my MS at the end of this calendar year. I'm taking biochem along with my thesis this semester, and am pretty sure I just did well on the first midterm, since most of it was review from protein engineering.

Now, surely nothing I've said has convinced anyone I have even a snowball's chance in hell at medical school. Here are the factors that make me think I might have a tiny sliver of hope if all goes well from here on out: Since last summer I have joined a lab at a very good university, doing research on a neuroscience and engineering project. I plan to continue this research through the end of the year as I complete my thesis. (I may have a chance to contribute to the field of neuroscience through this work. Exciting!)

Additionally, I recently accepted a job as a Biomedical/Clinical Engineer at a nationally renowned hospital. Evaluating my med school chances has been a frustrating, depressing experience, so this opportunity has truly been a saving grace for me; even if I cannot achieve my dream of getting into medical school, I can see myself being happy as a clinical engineer and providing patient care, albeit indirectly. Last week I went into the OR (went in and out o 4-5 different procedures) with the biomeds when they received calls. It was the most alive I have felt in a long time. I absolutely loved it and repaired some medical equipment in the shop which was rewarding.

I'm planning to take the MCAT in July or August. I think I will need 6+ months to study for the MCAT since I am working and doing my Masters as well. The SMS programs I have been considering are Georgetown, USC Keck Global Medicine MS, Temple ACMS (this one is a postbac actually), and Case Western MS Medical Physiology.

Assuming I complete my MS and am able to get a stellar MCAT score (big assumption, but if this isn't true then I have no hope) here are some of the questions I have:
-Am I correct in assuming I would still have no chance at direct admission to an MD medical school? Do I have a chance at getting into these SMPs?
-Will the medical device industry experience be beneficial?
-Is studying for the MCAT while working + doing a masters suicide, even giving myself 6 months?
-Should I be considering more postbac/certificate programs instead of SMPs?
-Will excellent performance in a SMP give a realistic shot at med school?

Thanks for reading my long story and I greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone may have on how to strengthen my application to medical school.

I'm not nearly an expert but I can give you my two cents.

1. You will have a hard time getting a MD acceptance in California. It's hard to get In-State love
2. I did working full time + studying MCAT. It was very very difficult and found it very inefficient. You're now talking about working+master's+MCAT. You need to let go of at least one of them, I think.

Last edited:
I've done some thorough research both on individual programs and reading through this thread, but I am still undecided if an SMP or other Master's program is right for me, so I'd really appreciate any help that is offered!

As it sits right now, I feel that I am quite competitive for medical school, but I only had one interview out of applying to 22 schools and was rejected post-interview. I have been put on "Interview Waitlists" by a few other MD schools, who informed me that I was a competitive applicant, but I'm not optimistic that anything fruitful will come from these.

Stats:
uGPA: 3.89 (competitive pre-med undergrad), sGPA: ~3.80, MCAT: balanced 30 (disappointed with score, but didn't feel comfortable re-taking)
350 hrs community service (clinical and non-clinical), member of a social fraternity and several other clubs
I took a job as an ER scribe this past year and will have nearly 2000 hours relevant clinical experience
120 hours shadowing in various fields
Undergrad research; now also a TA in a research course as a post-grad

I know that I applied later than I should have, but it was not extraordinarily late (all secondaries in by mid-late Sept).

Currently in the process of having my application reviewed by a few admissions advisors at the schools I applied to.

I'm looking at going a few different directions to strengthen my application and best ensure that I am accepted to medical school, but if I'm going to apply to SMPs, I want to do so ASAP. Any advice would be much appreciated!

One thing to keep in mind is that I took my MCAT in 2014, so this next year (took gap year, only second round of applying) would be the last that it is valid for by most med schools criteria. Also, my parents are pretty old school/blue collar and want me to earn everything I work for. Thus I am largely financially independent, so cost is a bit of a factor for me (and is also a reason I'm looking to matriculate ASAP... yeah, F you, FICA)

1) I could apply to SMPs at Cincy, Tufts, or Georgetown. Also highly interested in MAMS at Loyola for proximity to home/additional perks such as Committee Letters and superb advising. From what I've read, I don't know how much I would benefit from taking these programs and incurring an extra 40-50k of debt would be tough for me if I do not get accepted this round of applications. I know that it is not always advised to apply while you are going through these courses, but I REALLY do not want to have to retake the MCAT. I would likely be looking to apply while in the SMP, but if I am again unsuccessful, would probably resort to taking the MCAT over summer/fall of 2017 after completing the SMP I decide on. If you think any of these routes would be beneficial to me, please let me know!

2) As I stated before, cost is a factor for me. Currently, making $10/hr as a TA and $11/hr as an ER scribe. But the hours suck. I work approx 60-70 hrs for a week and my sleep schedule is laughable. These hours made it difficult to apply early during this cycle. I have the option to work a different scribe position in an office setting (9-5 weekdays) that would pay $20/hr. Would have to live at home (Ugh..), but that also cuts down on costs. This job would put me in contact with some very well-renowned physicians in the state of WI (home state) and would produce some strong LORs. I could apply early with this job, but I'm not sure if it would really bolster my app in any way.

3) There is a Global Health Certificate at UW-Madison (top med school choice) that I could participate in as well.
Website: http://ghi.wisc.edu/education/professional-graduate-and-capstone/#Description.
The certificate typically takes 2 years to complete, but that's with other grad courses, and I could complete it in 1 year if it's my only focus. This route is more cost effective. Also, I am interested in Public Health/have previously really enjoyed my service through community health programs for the underserved. I have heard from several physicians/adcom members that an outstanding science and medical background is not enough for admission anymore. It takes "practical life experience" and "true, well-rounded cultural experiences." I think this option covers both of those bases and would be an area of interest for me.

4) I could take some time off work and re-take the MCAT this year. Not my favorite route, since basic sciences are a distant memory, but if I studied hard for 4 months, I could probably improve my score. This would open some more avenues for me and I'd be more willing to complete an SMP or program like MAMS at Loyola before re-applying.

I apologize for the long message, but I'm really torn on what I should be doing and would like some insight as to how much my application would improve from an SMP. I think my app needs just a little more of an edge, and I'm 100% willing to take the loans for an SMP if that's what will put me over the top. Again, any advice on which direction I should head is MUCH appreciated! Thanks!!!

I've done some thorough research both on individual programs and reading through this thread, but I am still undecided if an SMP or other Master's program is right for me, so I'd really appreciate any help that is offered!

As it sits right now, I feel that I am quite competitive for medical school, but I only had one interview out of applying to 22 schools and was rejected post-interview. I have been put on "Interview Waitlists" by a few other MD schools, who informed me that I was a competitive applicant, but I'm not optimistic that anything fruitful will come from these.

Stats:
uGPA: 3.89 (competitive pre-med undergrad), sGPA: ~3.80, MCAT: balanced 30 (disappointed with score, but didn't feel comfortable re-taking)
350 hrs community service (clinical and non-clinical), member of a social fraternity and several other clubs
I took a job as an ER scribe this past year and will have nearly 2000 hours relevant clinical experience

I know that I applied later than I should have, but it was not extraordinarily late (all secondaries in by mid-late Sept).

Currently in the process of having my application reviewed by a few admissions advisors at the schools I applied to.

I'm looking at going a few different directions to strengthen my application and best ensure that I am accepted to medical school, but if I'm going to apply to SMPs, I want to do so ASAP. Any advice would be much appreciated!

One thing to keep in mind is that I took my MCAT in 2014, so this next year (took gap year, only second round of applying) would be the last that it is valid for by most med schools criteria. Also, my parents are pretty old school/blue collar and want me to earn everything I work for. Thus I am largely financially independent, so cost is a bit of a factor for me (and is also a reason I'm looking to matriculate ASAP... yeah, F you, FICA)

1) I could apply to SMPs at Cincy, Tufts, or Georgetown. Also highly interested in MAMS at Loyola for proximity to home/additional perks such as Committee Letters and superb advising. From what I've read, I don't know how much I would benefit from taking these programs and incurring an extra 40-50k of debt would be tough for me if I do not get accepted this round of applications. I know that it is not always advised to apply while you are going through these courses, but I REALLY do not want to have to retake the MCAT. I would likely be looking to apply while in the SMP, but if I am again unsuccessful, would probably resort to taking the MCAT over summer/fall of 2017 after completing the SMP I decide on. If you think any of these routes would be beneficial to me, please let me know!

2) As I stated before, cost is a factor for me. Currently, making $10/hr as a TA and $11/hr as an ER scribe. But the hours suck. I work approx 60-70 hrs for a week and my sleep schedule is laughable. These hours made it difficult to apply early during this cycle. I have the option to work a different scribe position in an office setting (9-5 weekdays) that would pay $20/hr. Would have to live at home (Ugh..), but that also cuts down on costs. This job would put me in contact with some very well-renowned physicians in the state of WI (home state) and would produce some strong LORs. I could apply early with this job, but I'm not sure if it would really bolster my app in any way.

3) There is a Global Health Certificate at UW-Madison (top med school choice) that I could participate in as well.
Website: http://ghi.wisc.edu/education/professional-graduate-and-capstone/#Description.
The certificate typically takes 2 years to complete, but that's with other grad courses, and I could complete it in 1 year if it's my only focus. This route is more cost effective. Also, I am interested in Public Health/have previously really enjoyed my service through community health programs for the underserved. I have heard from several physicians/adcom members that an outstanding science and medical background is not enough for admission anymore. It takes "practical life experience" and "true, well-rounded cultural experiences." I think this option covers both of those bases and would be an area of interest for me.

4) I could take some time off work and re-take the MCAT this year. Not my favorite route, since basic sciences are a distant memory, but if I studied hard for 4 months, I could probably improve my score. This would open some more avenues for me and I'd be more willing to complete an SMP or program like MAMS at Loyola before re-applying.

I apologize for the long message, but I'm really torn on what I should be doing and would like some insight as to how much my application would improve from an SMP. I think my app needs just a little more of an edge, and I'm 100% willing to take the loans for an SMP if that's what will put me over the top. Again, any advice on which direction I should head is MUCH appreciated! Thanks!!!

If I were you, I would minimize working time and study for the MCAT. You can take psychology and sociology classes over the summer. Why would you do a SMP with that GPA? Its going to be a waste.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-bacc or SMP?
If SMP, how are my chances?

cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 2.89
MCAT: 519 (~36)
some hospice volunteering
occasional ER hospital volunteering
two summers of research
missing 2 pre-med classes
was a poker professional for 1.5 years

Post-bacc or SMP?
If SMP, how are my chances?

cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 2.89
MCAT: 519 (~36)
some hospice volunteering
occasional ER hospital volunteering
two summers of research
missing 2 pre-med classes
was a poker professional for 1.5 years

Post-Bac.
SMP requires pre-reqs to be completed. You're missing 2 pre-med classes.
You'll also need more extracurriculars than that. Ideally, long term clinical experience in hospital setting (>4 months) to show you're committed in the medical field profession. Occasional and some volunteer doesn't do it.

Stats:

If I were you, I would minimize working time and study for the MCAT. You can take psychology and sociology classes over the summer. Why would you do a SMP with that GPA? Its going to be a waste.

I second this. Your GPA is stellar. If you can get a matching MCAT score (>510), you're all set. Don't waste your time at SMP. The purpose of SMP or postbac is to provide students a second chance to show they can handle the medical school curriculum. You have done that with your stellar undergrad GPA. Focus all your time on MCAT and apply EARLY! That will give you a high chance of interviews /acceptances.

The reasons for your rejections has to be with your MCAT score and possibly essays. Your MCAT did not match the GPA you had. With your high GPA, you should be getting >35 MCAT (old) or >515 MCAT (new). Also, it has to do with how competitive your essays were.
Sometimes the reason for rejection has nothing to do with your numbers. The numbers would be enough to pass you to receiving secondaries. To receive interviews, it has to do with whether the school thinks you're a perfect fit for their school. Think about it, if you were on admissions, you want to admit someone who shares the same philosophy as you, right? What they want to know is what their school has to offer that you can gain/obtain to achieve your dream of becoming a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've finally accepted that I may need something else to supplement my application.

uGPA: 3.62, sGPA:~3.6, MCAT: 32
First cycle: 1 interview, 1 waitlist
Second cycle: 2 interview, 1 waitlist (still waiting)

Work fulltime as ER scribe
a lot of extracurricular and community service
2+ years research, pending 1 publication (primary author)

I do have my suspicions of my red flags
1) I did receive a C+ in one of the core biology class.
2) My MCAT verbal score: 8.

I'm planning to retake the MCAT but I'm really not sure whether or not a SMP would help address my subpar GPA and C+ in that bio class. Any one with prior experience with SMP and similar stats think it'd be a good idea? or should I just focus on the MCAT?

Your numbers aren't causing your problems. See the reapplicant forum for discussion of common app sinkers such as applying late, not applying broadly, bad letters, etc.

Your numbers aren't causing your problems. See the reapplicant forum for discussion of common app sinkers such as applying late, not applying broadly, bad letters, etc.

I really appreciate your feedback. Do you think a SMP would help at all? I've already gone through the reapplicant forum for the second cycle but I'll definately go through it again.

I really appreciate your feedback. Do you think a SMP would help at all? I've already gone through the reapplicant forum for the second cycle but I'll definately go through it again.
An SMP addresses numbers. Your numbers are fine. An SMP isn't going to figure out for you why your good numbers aren't getting you into med school.

Clearly your version of "going through the reapp forum" isn't working for you. You'll have to actually read and introspect and act on suggestions. Clearly you don't have insights into what's going on with your app when your only possibles for red flags are not red flags.

TWO APP CYCLES of crap results with good numbers. It's not your numbers.

Find out what is wrong with your app. Reach out to the med schools where you interviewed and ask for feedback. Reach out to unfriendly faculty. These and other suggestions are what you find by approaching the information in the reapp forum as the grownup in charge of your own fate.

I need some input please! I applied to Master's programs and have gotten into NC State and Case Westerns Medical Physiology Masters programs and George Mason/Georgetown's Advanced Biomedical Sciences Certificate program.
cGPA: 3.09, sGPA: 2.81, GRE: 311
I plan to take the MCAT next spring/summer after taking some science classes
Lots of personal mental health and family issues got in the way of undergrad causing me to start off weak, but theres a upwards trend in my GPA

I dont know if I should do a masters program and prove to med schools that my undergrad grades don't reflect my true potential or a post-bacc. I've applied to the UPenn Specialized Studies Post Bacc program. A lot of people are telling em to do the masters, but I'm not completely sure what to do.

I need some input please! I applied to Master's programs and have gotten into NC State and Case Westerns Medical Physiology Masters programs and George Mason/Georgetown's Advanced Biomedical Sciences Certificate program.
cGPA: 3.09, sGPA: 2.81, GRE: 311
I plan to take the MCAT next spring/summer after taking some science classes
Lots of personal mental health and family issues got in the way of undergrad causing me to start off weak, but theres a upwards trend in my GPA

I dont know if I should do a masters program and prove to med schools that my undergrad grades don't reflect my true potential or a post-bacc. I've applied to the UPenn Specialized Studies Post Bacc program. A lot of people are telling em to do the masters, but I'm not completely sure what to do.

Personally, I wouldn't invest in a master's program without knowing my MCAT score. If you get a high MCAT then you will be competitive for better master's programs (some of the "good" SMP's, for example). If you do OK, but not great, on the MCAT (~30 or slightly below), then a good performance in a master's program will probably not get you into a US MD school anyway - so you would better off preparing your application for DO schools (which would not involve a masters, but a continuation of undergrad courses to boost your sgpa by retaking Cs/Ds/Fs).

I can't comment on any of those program, as I don't know much about them. But before investing 1-2 years of your life and tens of thousands of dollars, you should at least look at the acceptance statistics of the programs. With that being said, I would advise doing post-bacc work. It doesn't need to be a formal program - just start acing out semesters, and maybe retake some low grades that you got in science courses.

Also, before doing graduate level work, you should seriously consider raising that sgpa to >3.0. Even if you ace out one of those programs, many medical schools that you apply to after the program could potentially auto screen that sgpa.

Also, before doing graduate level work, you should seriously consider raising that sgpa to >3.0. Even if you ace out one of those programs, many medical schools that you apply to after the program could potentially auto screen that sgpa.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OP, after 4 years of undergrad, it's very very difficult to increase GPA, because math. But at a minimum, I need to see multiple very strong years of full time work in mostly science, regardless of your GPA. One year of strong work in an SMP doesn't fix 4 years. And I would not expect to see strong work in an SMP from a sub-3.0. I would expect to see a very expensive trainwreck.

An SMP is not an eraser. It's extra help on top of an app that is very compelling, with the single exception of a redeemed low undergrad GPA. Max out your app, max out your academic credibility, then think about an SMP.

FYI the MD rejection rate is at 60% now, and the number of apps is up close to 60,000. The odds are never in your favor.

Best of luck to you.

I'm open to postbac/SMP suggestions if anyone has any.

Stats:
  • MCAT 504
  • 3.05/3.44/ (AACOMAS)
  • 2.82/3.05/(AAMC)
  • 192 hours MD shadowing/volunteering at hospitals.
  • DO shadowing starting Monday
  • Work experience as behavioral therapist for Autistic children.
  • Solid LORs and statement
  • 28 year old psych major non-trad
This cycle (only applied DO only and relatively late):
3 interviews, 1 wait list

SMPs/postbacs currently applying to:
Drexel
Temple
Harvard Extension
LECOM
TOURO-CA
TOURO-NV
NSUCOM

If anyone knows another one that fits me please let me know. Thank you

I'm open to postbac/SMP suggestions if anyone has any.

Stats:
  • MCAT 504
  • 3.05/3.44/ (AACOMAS)
  • 2.82/3.05/(AAMC)
  • 192 hours MD shadowing/volunteering at hospitals.
  • DO shadowing starting Monday
  • Work experience as behavioral therapist for Autistic children.
  • Solid LORs and statement
  • 28 year old psych major non-trad
This cycle (only applied DO only and relatively late):
3 interviews, 1 wait list

SMPs/postbacs currently applying to:
Drexel
Temple
Harvard Extension
LECOM
TOURO-CA
TOURO-NV
NSUCOM

If anyone knows another one that fits me please let me know. Thank you
Apply to vcom post bac, they have guaranteed acceptance into their med school.

Should I go for an SMP program? Stay on informal post bacs and apply next year?

Stats:
MCAT - just took it April 1, Results out May 3rd I believe. I got a 509 on the scored practice and I thought the real deal was comparable to the practice but obviosuly I'll have to wait until results are out.
3.31/3.22 @ USC(California) and some post bac work at local 4 years.
125 hours clinical in hospital
20 shadowing plastic surgeon. Currently looking for DO docs for more perspective.
Research for 4 months. No published works
I know my extracurricular are lacking. Really looking at things atm to try and boost it up.

Thanks again everyone.

Should I go for an SMP program? Stay on informal post bacs and apply next year?

Stats:
MCAT - just took it April 1, Results out May 3rd I believe. I got a 509 on the scored practice and I thought the real deal was comparable to the practice but obviosuly I'll have to wait until results are out.
3.31/3.22 @ USC(California) and some post bac work at local 4 years.
125 hours clinical in hospital
20 shadowing plastic surgeon. Currently looking for DO docs for more perspective.
Research for 4 months. No published works
I know my extracurricular are lacking. Really looking at things atm to try and boost it up.

Thanks again everyone.

Add an update after you get your MCAT score. There's really not much to say until then (other than to get your shadowing hours and EC's way up).

Hi,

I have a really quick question: Would SMPs help at all if you're an international student? (considering that you have a high mcat and a high gpa)

Thanks!

Hi, is it too late to apply for an SMP? Found out recently that I just was 0/3 from interviews, with 2 waitlists.

Also, is an SMP even the best move for me?
GPA: 3.45 (huge upward trend)
MCAT: 30 first time, 34 second time
Lots of ECs, Research, Volunteering, good LORs
Worked this past gap year doing clinical research, getting a lot of 1 on 1 time with stage IV cancer patients.

If anyone can give me some advice I would really appreciate it!

Hi, is it too late to apply for an SMP? Found out recently that I just was 0/3 from interviews, with 2 waitlists.

Also, is an SMP even the best move for me?
GPA: 3.45 (huge upward trend)
MCAT: 30 first time, 34 second time
Lots of ECs, Research, Volunteering, good LORs
Worked this past gap year doing clinical research, getting a lot of 1 on 1 time with stage IV cancer patients.

If anyone can give me some advice I would really appreciate it!

No, it is not too late, but you are really cutting it close. Try to get your applications in ASAP. The deadlines will be between March and July, so there will probably be some programs that you will be late for, but because your application is so good, you will likely get into a good one. Don't worry about researching which program is the best fit for you right now (if you really want to do an SMP). Just apply to the best ones, see which ones you get into, and then decide.

Look into, or apply to, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Tufts (2 years), Boston University (1-2 years), Toledo, EVMS, Drexel, Temple (definitely apply), Tulane (best SMP IMO - and you're eligible because you're on waitlists). You could also look into Case Western's, and Loyola.

Your 3.45 gpa is low, and depending on your sgpa you may not even need an SMP - but I would just apply now, and then hash out the details, and whether it would be in your best interest, later.

No, it is not too late, but you are really cutting it close. Try to get your applications in ASAP. The deadlines will be between March and July, so there will probably be some programs that you will be late for, but because your application is so good, you will likely get into a good one. Don't worry about researching which program is the best fit for you right now (if you really want to do an SMP). Just apply to the best ones, see which ones you get into, and then decide.

Look into, or apply to, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Tufts (2 years), Boston University (1-2 years), Toledo, EVMS, Drexel, Temple (definitely apply), Tulane (best SMP IMO - and you're eligible because you're on waitlists). You could also look into Case Western's, and Loyola.

Your 3.45 gpa is low, and depending on your sgpa you may not even need an SMP - but I would just apply now, and then hash out the details, and whether it would be in your best interest, later.
Wow, thank you so much this is much better advice than I expected to receive! I actually started the applications to Boston and Georgetown yesterday. I will 100% look into all of the schools you listed. I wish I didn't wait this late, but I was so sure that I was going to get accepted from at least 1 of my interviews.

Is it a good or bad idea to apply for this upcoming med school cycle as well? I've heard before that it's not good to apply again immediately, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks again for your help!

Is it a good or bad idea to apply for this upcoming med school cycle as well? I've heard before that it's not good to apply again immediately, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks again for your help!

I would definitely apply to med school during your SMP year if I were you. Typically, if a school rejects you, then they want to see a gap year before you apply again - really, what this means is that they want to know that you addressed your weak areas, and have taken steps, or have already, remediated them. By being in an SMP, you will have taken a huge step in remediating your less than average GPA - and by doing well in the first semester, you will likely land some interviews (even some that you may have otherwise not received). Additionally, you probably did not apply to every medical school last year, and you will not even be seen as a reapplicant to the schools that you did not apply to. Furthermore, in virtue of being an SMP student, you will have an advantage at the affiliated medical school, and even in medical schools in the surrounding area - so, it is really in your best interest to apply to those schools. For example, many people in Cincinnati's SMP get into Ohio State, even though they may not be Ohio residents, etc. With that being said, if you choose not to do an SMP, then I would call and ask for an exit interview at the schools that you were rejected. They would likely know how receptive the committee would be to your application next cycle - some schools may be more receptive to reapplicants than others I suppose.

With that being said, if you do decide to apply to medical school during your SMP year, there is some conventional wisdom to align yourself to. First, make sure that your primary application and all of your secondaries are submitted prior to starting the program. SMP's are intense, and you will probably not have time to get good grades and write 15 secondaries. Also, you need to plan ahead for things like interview prep., etc. Interviews are sporadic, and they can come at any time, so you need to make sure that you will not fall behind in the SMP when you leave to attend interviews. I only had two II during the fall of my SMP year, but I really didn't think it put too much of a burden on me. (Also, it's probably fine that you didn't apply to SMP's earlier - there are several students in my SMP class that applied on the deadline).

Last edited:
Hi guys!
Does anyone have any input or feedback on the masters of science in global medicine program at USC keck?
I'm a CA resident and would really like to stay in CA for med school afterwards so I wanted to do this program during my gap year starting this Fall, as I will be applying to med schools this june!

my cgpa and sgpa are both well above 3.4

retaking my mcat in may

I would definitely apply to med school during your SMP year if I were you. Typically, if a school rejects you, then they want to see a gap year before you apply again - really, what this means is that they want to know that you addressed your weak areas, and have taken steps, or have already, remediated them. By being in an SMP, you will have taken a huge step in remediating your less than average GPA - and by doing well in the first semester, you will likely land some interviews (even some that you may have otherwise not received). Additionally, you probably did not apply to every medical school last year, and you will not even be seen as a reapplicant to the schools that you did not apply to. Furthermore, in virtue of being an SMP student, you will have an advantage at the affiliated medical school, and even in medical schools in the surrounding area - so, it is really in your best interest to apply to those schools. For example, many people in Cincinnati's SMP get into Ohio State, even though they may not be Ohio residents, etc. With that being said, if you choose not to do an SMP, then I would call and ask for an exit interview at the schools that you were rejected. They would likely know how receptive the committee would be to your application next cycle - some schools may be more receptive to reapplicants than others I suppose.

With that being said, if you do decide to apply to medical school during your SMP year, there is some conventional wisdom to align yourself to. First, make sure that your primary application and all of your secondaries are submitted prior to starting the program. SMP's are intense, and you will probably not have time to get good grades and write 15 secondaries. Also, you need to plan ahead for things like interview prep., etc. Interviews are sporadic, and they can come at any time, so you need to make sure that you will not fall behind in the SMP when you leave to attend interviews. I only had two II during the fall of my SMP year, but I really didn't think it put too much of a burden on me. (Also, it's probably fine that you didn't apply to SMP's earlier - there are several students in my SMP class that applied on the deadline).
Wow I really did not expect to receive this much quality advice. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it. You're giving me a lot of information that I really didn't even think about I am definitely applying to all the schools you listed ASAP, and then I'm going to do some more quality research on all the individual schools and which one I feel will put me in the best position for med school.

Thank you so so much again for all the advice, you've really put me at ease about this whole situation, I was freaking out that I waited to long and screwed myself over for the next year lol

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys have any thoughts on Case Western Reserve University Medical Physiology program?

Is that a true SMP?

Hi! I was looking for some serious advice on my stats and whether the best option for me would be to pursue a SMP or go to a Caribbean medical school. My overall GPA is 3.1 and science gpa is 2.6. Something to note with my marks is that two of my science marks (one Physics and one Orgo mark is below a C). I am a Canadian student (did undergrad in Canada) and have not written the MCAT. I have good volunteer work throughout my undergrad which include: prominent leadership positions at the university, involvement in clubs, volunteered at a hospital, and peer mentor within my university's faculty of science. Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance :) !

Hi! I was looking for some serious advice on my stats and whether the best option for me would be to pursue a SMP or go to a Caribbean medical school. My overall GPA is 3.1 and science gpa is 2.6. Something to note with my marks is that two of my science marks (one Physics and one Orgo mark is below a C). I am a Canadian student (did undergrad in Canada) and have not written the MCAT. I have good volunteer work throughout my undergrad which include: prominent leadership positions at the university, involvement in clubs, volunteered at a hospital, and peer mentor within my university's faculty of science. Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance :) !

It is highly unlikely that anyone here would recommend going the Caribbean route. Do you have dual citizenship? It is going to be hard enough to remediate a 2.6 sgpa - it may not be possible if you are not a US citizen (I'm assuming you are aiming for a US MD school). With a 2.6 sgpa, it is a little concerning that you only have 2 grades at or below a C. But, you could try for an SMP - it is unlikely that you will get in to a good SMP with a sgpa below 3.0 - so you probably have some undergrad. grade redemption to do before you would be eligible for an SMP. There is always the DO route, but it could be difficult for you if you want to practice in Canada...

It is highly unlikely that anyone here would recommend going the Caribbean route. Do you have dual citizenship? It is going to be hard enough to remediate a 2.6 sgpa - it may not be possible if you are not a US citizen (I'm assuming you are aiming for a US MD school). With a 2.6 sgpa, it is a little concerning that you only have 2 grades at or below a C. But, you could try for an SMP - it is unlikely that you will get in to a good SMP with a sgpa below 3.0 - so you probably have some undergrad. grade redemption to do before you would be eligible for an SMP. There is always the DO route, but it could be difficult for you if you want to practice in Canada...

Thanks so much for your reply, really appreciate it! Yeah I am aiming for US med schools but I don't have dual citizenship, I was intending on applying for a F1/J1 visa. Unfortunately I graduate from my undergrad program this summer (have one more science credit to take) so I don't have the option to do undergrad grade redemption. Give my situation.. I am considering the caribbean as it looks like I have nothing to fall back on in North America. Even though I understand most folks here aren't pro the Caribbean route, but do u think I have any other options other than the caribbean route? Thanks so much for ur help!

Thanks so much for your reply, really appreciate it! Yeah I am aiming for US med schools but I don't have dual citizenship, I was intending on applying for a F1/J1 visa. Unfortunately I graduate from my undergrad program this summer (have one more science credit to take) so I don't have the option to do undergrad grade redemption. Give my situation.. I am considering the caribbean as it looks like I have nothing to fall back on in North America. Even though I understand most folks here aren't pro the Caribbean route, but do u think I have any other options other than the caribbean route? Thanks so much for ur help!

If you don't want to remediate your sgpa, then no, you don't have any options that I can think of. But being scheduled to graduate this summer is not an excuse to remediate your gpa. You could take post-bacc classes, or just delay your graduation date. Anyway, just do some research on the caribbean schools and see if they would be good fits for you - best of luck!

Hello everyone!

I am currently on several waitlists for med school and am considering applying to SMP. I am completely lost lol. I would like to attend a program in the Northeast, but I am unsure of which program would be best for me. I am URM (African American), 503 MCAT, cGPA 3.6 , but have a really bad sophomore year including poor science grades within that year (Orgo, biology). My clinical experience is great and I have great LOR. I was considering Georegetown...any suggestions would help! Good luck to all :)

Hey guys!

Does anyone know of any SMPs that start in January? I'm finishing up my undergrad right now, will have finished the last of my science pre-reqs by August and Im planning on writing the MCAT by September and hopefully can perform really well on that to compensate for my low GPA (3.1 overall, 2.8sGPA). Has anyone come across any SMPs that have a January class? Would be really helpful! Thanks so much!

Hey guys!

Does anyone know of any SMPs that start in January? I'm finishing up my undergrad right now, will have finished the last of my science pre-reqs by August and Im planning on writing the MCAT by September and hopefully can perform really well on that to compensate for my low GPA (3.1 overall, 2.8sGPA). Has anyone come across any SMPs that have a January class? Would be really helpful! Thanks so much!

I am not aware of any SMPs with a January start date, but TCMC Doylestown starts in April (new campus opened this year).

Hey guys, my stats:

36 MCAT
3.6 GPA/ 3.3 sGPA
7-8 Publications (2nd author or lower), multiple years of full time research employment at Ivy League institution
300+ hours of volunteering in a hospital
5000+ hours of clinical/basic science research in total
200+ hours of shadowing
Applied twice already.

Any SMPs anyone could recommend in NY area, starting this fall?
Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, my stats:

36 MCAT
3.6 GPA/ 3.3 sGPA
7-8 Publications (2nd author or lower), multiple years of full time research employment at Ivy League institution
300+ hours of volunteering in a hospital
5000+ hours of clinical/basic science research in total
200+ hours of shadowing
Applied twice already.

Any SMPs anyone could recommend in NY area, starting this fall?
Thanks in advance!

Why do you think you need an SMP?

If I'm reviewing your app and there's an SMP in progress, all I'm gonna be thinking is "boy I hope there are some rich parents in this story". You'd be spending $50k on a product you don't need.

Although if Tulane ACP isn't closed/full, and you have financial support for the Tulane Med ENORMOUS cost of attendance, that's a worthwhile use of your time. That's assuming ACP is still an inexpensive program - it was only about $15k in my day.

Best of luck to you.

If I'm reviewing your app and there's an SMP in progress, all I'm gonna be thinking is "boy I hope there are some rich parents in this story". You'd be spending $50k on a product you don't need.

Although if Tulane ACP isn't closed/full, and you have financial support for the Tulane Med ENORMOUS cost of attendance, that's a worthwhile use of your time. That's assuming ACP is still an inexpensive program - it was only about $15k in my day.

Best of luck to you.

It is still 15k per the program website

In terms of Post Baccalaureate Studies, I'm having trouble on picking. I have been admitted to both the Drexel IHS program, and the Case Western MS is Medical Physiology. I'm aware of the background on the Case program but I have little information on the Dreel IHS program. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light or advice on the two schools.