**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HI guys. I need some serious advice.
Right now, my cgpa is 3.2 and my sgpa is 2.8. I'm graduating from my university this August and I've alrdy been accepted into pharmacy school this Fall.
Because of my low gpa, no clinical exposure, and the fact that i'm an international student here, my chances of getting into med school would be very low. So I'm not sure if i should apply for SMP next year without going to pharmacy school.
I had thoughts like what if i don't get into any med school after the SMP. Then I definitely would be wasting my time chasing the impossible dream.
Should i jux finish my pharmacy school first and apply for med school? Will it increase my chances of getting into? What are your thoughts? This way, even if I don't get into med school after graduating from pharmacy school, I will still be a pharmacist.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have got some great advice from this forum and needed some specific advice.

Currently, I am accepted into Case Western Reserve University Medical Physiology Program and BU MAMS program. Also, I am waitlisted in Tufts MBS program.

It might be easy to choose BU over Case, but just looking at the statistics of students accepted into medical school, Case has a higher percentage.
I was wondering if you guys have any advice or recommendation for my situation.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is SMP the same thing as post baccalaureate?

Is SMP the same thing as post baccalaureate?

You can do a post bacc program in which you don't receive a masters degree, you only get a certificate. In which case the purpose is to show med schools that you are capable of excelling at higher level course work.
You can also just take courses on your own, without a specific program and I guess that would still be considered post baccalaureate since it is after receiving a bacc. degree... not sure on that though.

DREXEL IMS

1) There's no god damn way 50 people made the guaranteed interview at IMS. No freaking way. It varies year to year, but a better number is 15-30 out of 140. This last year, the number was about 15.

yup... this year was probably about the same... MAYBE 10-15 guaranteed interviews of the 140ish class. some people from the class still get into drexel even though they didn't make the guaranteed interview (example... if you were below the 75% in one section of the MCAT but killed it in the program >3.8 GPA or if your MCAT is good but you got like 1 B- or something and the rest As and Bs then your probably good.) So its not impossible to use this program to get into drexel, but it is by NO means the outcome for most people that enter this program.

that being said, for the other 90% of the class that end up using this program to better their chances at getting into other schools, be it MD or DO, do admissions officers know that this program is literally all med school classes(just under 40credits in one year)? and if they do, do they take this into account or is a "3.5 GPA at an SMP" a 3.5 no matter where you get it?

I know there are other SMPs out there that are actually grad level classes and not med school classes, and some are a mix of grad and undergrad, and some are a mix of grad and med classes... does it really make a difference to the admissions committee though?

unfortunatly i think the answer is no and they want to see a 3.5+ no matter what your taking but i hope its not that black and white

Hi I was hoping to get some insight into what people opinions where on Loyola MAMS vs Boston University MAMS. I want to know which is better in terms of matriculation into medical school and the overall experience people have had in both programs. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those who graduated from the Med Sci program this year and accepted into med school, will they be entering their medical school this year (as in a couple months)?
Or will they start their med school in the next cycle (entering 2017)?

So after reading this I'm kind of confused now after doing extensive research into SMPs/post bacc's and thinking I had all the information.
So should I even be considering an SMP if I haven't taken the MCAT yet? (I plan to next spring as I apply to said post-bacc programs) Or is it mostly for med school applicant rejects?
What exactly is the difference between an SMP and post-bacc program? I want to take upper level classes to show that I'm not an idiot like my gpa sadly exhibits, and I know both types offer that.
A little background would probably be helpful - I'm going into my senior year of undergrad and my current gpa is like 2.96 (one single grade this past semester knocked me down which sucks but I planned on getting that back up to the "safe" zone of above 3.0 to apply for programs after fall). Like I said haven't taken the MCAT yet. Also I have a good amount of ECs & shadowing this summer. Not many clinical hours though, one of the factors I've been looking into with these programs is if help with improving this would be available.
I guess what I'm saying is how do I know if I should do a masters program or an undergrad post bacc program? Should I try to boost the gpa up or buffer it out with a stellar graduate gpa? Or is it a possibility to do a post-bacc first then SMP? That's probably super expensive and redundant at that point is it not? Please help I'm just very confused and unfortunately pre-med advising is nonexistent at my school so I never know who to ask these things to.

Last edited:
So after reading this I'm kind of confused now after doing extensive research into SMPs/post bacc's and thinking I had all the information.
So should I even be considering an SMP if I haven't taken the MCAT yet? (I plan to next spring as I apply to said post-bacc programs) Or is it mostly for med school applicant rejects?
What exactly is the difference between an SMP and post-bacc program? I want to take upper level classes to show that I'm not an idiot like my gpa sadly exhibits, and I know both types offer that.
A little background would probably be helpful - I'm going into my senior year of undergrad and my current gpa is like 2.96 (one single grade this past semester knocked me down which sucks but I planned on getting that back up to the "safe" zone of above 3.0 to apply for programs after fall). Like I said haven't taken the MCAT yet. Also I have a good amount of ECs & shadowing this summer. Not many clinical hours though, one of the factors I've been looking into with these programs is if help with improving this would be available.
I guess what I'm saying is how do I know if I should do a masters program or an undergrad post bacc program? Should I try to boost the gpa up or buffer it out with a stellar graduate gpa? Or is it a possibility to do a post-bacc first then SMP? That's probably super expensive and redundant at that point is it not? Please help I'm just very confused and unfortunately pre-med advising is nonexistent at my school so I never know who to ask these things to.
You have one year of undergrad left, you should not be thinking post bacc

Get that GPA above 3.0 by January and take the GRE for the SMP schools that accept it.

If your SMP program has biochemistry in it, it will benefit you to take the MCAT after your SMP. You will have gotten your study skills in order in that year as well. Dont rush the MCAT to apply for SMP

Get clinical exposure if you can before your app as well

You have one year of undergrad left, you should not be thinking post bacc

Get that GPA above 3.0 by January and take the GRE for the SMP schools that accept it.

If your SMP program has biochemistry in it, it will benefit you to take the MCAT after your SMP. You will have gotten your study skills in order in that year as well. Dont rush the MCAT to apply for SMP

Get clinical exposure if you can before your app as well
So you're saying I should definitely do SMP over any undergraduate post bacc? And I was thinking of still giving the MCAT a shot beforehand mostly because most of the programs I see actually require a score, and also in case I need to retake it after the program I know what I need to improve on. Thanks for your help.

Hi everyone- I was hoping for some advice and ideas about my situation.
I will be graduating with an undergrad cGPA of 3.1 and sGPA 2.9 this August from Canada and have taken almost all science pre-reqs (except 1). I also have good clinical volunteering and ECs. I am planing on writing the MCAT this September. I was considering options such as a post-bacc and SMP- in particular Penn's Pre-health program and Johns Hopkins MHS BMB program. However, even if I perform really well in these postbacc or SMP programs... how much will that affect my success in getting into US medical school, given my low undergrad GPA? I understand that nothing can really erase your uGPA. I've contacted most Canadian medical schools in my province and they have made it clear that undergrad GPA is still the main factor and graduate marks aren't considered. Any success stories from people in Penn's or JHU's program with similar stats as mine? Also, what are JHU MHS BMB admission requirements- can't find them online (what GPA,MCAT score do u need to get in?).

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Guys,

I need to apply for a SMP and I just need some help knowing which ones should I apply to. My uGPA is 3.1 and science GPA is 2.9. I recently took the MCAT and scored 485 (very depressing). I plan on retaking it in Sept. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am a premedical student who is about to enter the last semester of school (i'm graduating a semester early). Here are all of my stats/ec's for context:
  • My application themes: a dedication to serving the medically underserved and community-based medicine at large, a more than fleeting interest in research, and an interest in affordable nutrition/education.
  • cGPA: 3.464 (before fall of senior year, will rise after next semester)
  • sGPA: 3.22 (before fall of senior year, should rise to about 3.35 by graduation)
  • Havent taken MCAT but I might take it during spring after graduating (more on that later)
  • 3 summers of research at the NIH, 2 in the same lab. No pubs, but I presented a poster each time
  • 1 semester of volunteering at an afterschool program for economically disadvantaged, minority children (about 30 hours total)
  • Peer Review Councilmember for 4 semesters (council that adjudicates residential life policy violations)
  • 189 hours of shadowing at a clinic that sees mostly uninsured, ethnic minority patients (both family med and pediatrics, 2 different physicians )
  • No direct clinical experience (like working in a healthcare job with direct patient contact)
Right off the bat, I feel like I need a postbacc or Special Masters program, but I am unsure of a timeline for the next few years. I have considered DO, but there are no DO schools in my state (Maryland) and I would prefer to stay in-state. So which of the three options is best for me? My options are as follows:

1) Apply for postbacc/SMP this upcoming 2016-17 cycle, do my last semester of school, take the MCAT in April 2017, hopefully get in and attend a program while adding to my healthcare experience on the side.

2) Take a year off and do health-care work (scribing, EMT, etc.) and more community service, while applying to postbacc/SMP (and take the MCAT the summer before or somewhere in that year)

3) Instead of graduating a semester early, take classes in the senior spring semester and the MCAT that summer, and then apply to medical schools while working as a scribe

Basically; Do I need a postbacc/SMP? If I do, should I bother applying to postbaccs/SMPs for this upcoming cycle? And if I do the second option, is it worth it to apply to postbacc/SMP at that point or should I apply straight to med school?

Any other comments or criticisms are just as welcome. Thanks in advance, I know its a long post :)

I hope everyone got into the SMP that they wanted.

I was wondering in how people choose the SMP to go to when they were accepted into multiple programs.

For example, I got into the BU MAMS program and CWRU Medical Physiology program and cannot decide which one I want to attend.

I'm extremely overwhelmed with the plethora of information on Post-Baccs and SMPs, and would be extremely grateful if someone could guide me in the right direction.

I'm 24 years old, 2 years removed from receiving a BS in Texas. I graduated with a 3.3 GPA (3.0 sGPA), and a very poor MCAT score. I was ill-prepared and took the April 2015 exam and scored a 483.

I have worked in an Orthopedics Research Lab and have some working publications, and am about to start working as Research Asst. in a Neurosurgery Dept. I have traveled on a medical mission trip, have volunteered extensively.

I am still passionate and eager to pursue medicine as a career choice. I'm hoping someone can redirect me to a Post-Bacc program that can be done in 1 year, that enhances my GPA and can grant me admission to a medical school. I'd like to do something structured, and also take the MCAT while I'm in the program.

Can anyone offer any advice or redirect me to a thread where I might find some help? Thanks.

Hey Guys, Feel free to add onto this thread- now that I'm well under way with my own Special Masters Program (SMP) I'd thought that I'd donate some of my time back here because it's been so helpful for me. I'll keep tacking on more when I have more time to spend on this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who is it for?
SMPs are generally programs designed for several different populations of students
1) Those who completed their science requirements in college and need to improve their academic standings (mostly low GPA issues).
2) Those who completed their science requirements in college and will have a "gap" year(s) between graduation and their intended year of matriculation into medical school
3) Those who have graduated college a while ago who have their basic science coursework completed (either through a postbac or through their alma mater) and need to demonstrate that they can still handle the coursework years after such an academic atmosphere. These are nontraditional applicants and often, career switchers.
4) Those who have both a low GPA and a low MCAT. One program that I can recall in particular, though it may not be considered an SMP, offers courses built into its curriculum to raise a student's MCAT score if low, while offering science classes to supplement their science background.

What is it?
Students who have been accepted into an SMP generally take a repertoire of advanced science courses. Because an SMP, is after all, a master's graduate program, many, if not most, require graduate work alongside PhDs and other masters (M.S. or M.A.) students. When you take these graduate classes differ from program to program. Some SMPs offer exclusively only advanced graduate classes. Some require a thesis to be completed, amongst other diverse array of classes in the spectrum of graduate education. Some schools also only offer classes in which students watch a recorded lecture, and does not offer a live component to the class- be it size constraints, or school policies, or whatever. However, what makes a select few SMPs unique, and especially valuable, are those that require students to take classes alongside medical students. Not only does this offer medical school admissions committees a direct comparison of your abilities with already accepted medical students, it also demonstrates that (contingent upon doing well in those courses) despite having a lower GPA or longer period of time since graduating, you can stack up against medical students and give them a run for their money. This often gives SMP students a "get out of jail free" card, a second chance to show adcoms that you have what it takes, all while earning your masters degree. Additionally, some SMP or postbac programs offer a linkage to affiiliated medical schools contingent upon receiving a certain defined required GPA with a minimum required MCAT. Some offer an automatic medical school interview contingent upon grades as well. Again these vary from program to program

How long is it?
Most, if not all, SMPs have a minimum one year requirement to graduate. However, after this one year requirement, some programs will offer only a certificate of completion with an option to continue a second year to work towards the intended masters degree (usually in such programs, the first year is filled with medical school classes with the second year filled exclusively with graduate only classes). Other programs, offer the masters degree after only one year, and thus, does not require a second year to continue your education. These programs usually combine two years of medical and graduate education into one, and thus, a masters degree is earned quicker.

When should I apply?
The application cycle for many SMPs open up around January for entrance into the fall semester of the same year. In the case for students currently in college applying to medical school who have not yet received an acceptance/interview by January of their senior year, SMPs offer a "fallback" net to catch students who may be unsuccesful this time around into getting into medical school, but may fare a better chance after completing the SMP in the next application cycle. Applications are usually due sometime in the spring. As with anything, apply early because admissions are often rolling. Some SMP programs offer application to enter in the spring, you will have to plan accordingly and tailor your timing to each.

What's required to enter?
Usually, most SMPs will require everything that a standard medical school application will require (AMCAS or AACOMAS)- MCAT scores, letters of recommendations, grades, sometimes a personal statement (or equivalent essay), a resume or list of extracurriculars, etc. Sometimes students can submit an AMCAS or AACOMAS application directly if one is available. Thus, it will serve to your best interest to have all these ready in hand by the time you apply- you should plan to have letters or a committee interview letter completed, MCAT, as well as all other requirements done no later then the deadline, usually a few months after the application cycle has opened in January.

What about the numbers? (GPA, MCAT, etc...)
Minimum numbers or recommended numbers vary from program to program, from school to school. The most competitive SMPs (and thus, usually, the most well known or successful program) usually have students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and MCAT of 27. The actual averages may differ from the recommended numbers. Other competitive SMPs have lower recommended/required GPAs falling anywhere from the range of 2.4 and above (Just an experienced guess) and MCAT minimum of mid-twenties (although for obvious reasons, you may want to reconsider taking the MCAT again anyways). In terms of class sizes and acceptance rates, you will find that the more competitive programs (like Georgetown, University of Cincinnati, etc..) will have acceptance numbers that can be comparable to medical school itself. Larger programs have SMP class sizes of over 150 with nearly 1000 applicants, while others have more intimate programs that accept only 15-20 students with over 150-200 applicants. With each year, application numbers usually go up, while class numbers usually stay the same. In terms of how many students ACTUALLY get accepted to medical school during or after the program, the more competitive programs usually see around at least half their students get into medical school (mostly into their own medical school) during the program, and boasting figures of up to and around 80-90% of their students a year or two after completing the program, eventually accepted into medical school (DO and MD). These numbers vary from school to school.

What is the cost?
The cost, again, varies. The most expensive SMP programs in the country run upwards into the mid $30,000 range, while others may run as cheap as the low $20,000's, or even less. GradPlus loans, as well as Stafford Loans, as well as other graduate loans, and FastWeb.com scholarships are excellent ways to fund your education if the entire cost cannot be paid in full up front. One must also include in their assessment of cost, the location of the program, and the cost of living there (apartment rental in the city vs. suburbs, transportation to and from, food, leisure, books). Many students also (re)apply to medical schools by the time the program starts (if so, usually students will start applying in the summer and hopefully get most applications done before the academic year starts), and thus the cost of application, interviewing, travel must also be taken into consideration. I tend to find that students in an SMP, and understandably so, apply to more schools than the average student (I applied to 20 myself), so the cost can invariably go way up. My advice is: use the summer before entering an SMP to find a job and pay off those bills for medical school applications and budget yourself some money to spend during the year- you will most likely not be working a job- the time required to study will be much more than what most SMP students (or any college student for that matter) will have encountered before. Simply said, time and money is a scarce resource because SMPs is characterized as studying for finals all the time. Learn to budget everything.

How about residency?
Some programs are located in states in which residency can be offered to students after living one year in that state. This qualifies them to become a state resident after completing one year of the program, which opens up a marked advantage for students to qualify for a decreased cost of education should he or she continue to study there. In addition, and perhaps one of the more attractive qualities of this, is that in-state medical schools will open up their doors to you now as an in-state resident. One particular state that comes to mind is Ohio (with its seven medical schools, 6 of which are public schools) and New York (I think?). International students will have to inquire about their candidacy into a program or benefits, but will most likely require a pending American citizenship before even qualifying for any in-state amenities.

When should I apply to medical school?
Personally, I think the best time to apply to medical school if you intend to attend an SMP, is to apply the summer right before it starts and get EVERYTHING done as early as possible, preferably before the programs start. As anyone will tell you, you barely have enough time for yourself when classes start, imagine having to do secondaries alongside. Indicate on the AMCAS or AACOMAS all the classes you are going to take, and list it as "blank School of Medicine Special Masters Program". You'll get it verified and will catch the eyes of admissions committees. Wordsmithing can go a long way. Most likely, unless your GPA and MCAT can carry you far, you'll most likely be asked to submit grades (along with recommendations from your program). Submit them as soon as possible, and as often as possible. Many submit after their first exam, which also includes a handful of small groups quiz grades. I submitted after my second exam (both medical physio and medical biochem). That way, you keep adcoms up to date, and give them an idea of the trends you are on. Funny how doing well on one medical school exam can determine if you get an interview or not.

Give me an example of how the timeline with SMPs & med school should be like
I'll give you my example of what my timeline has been like. This should vary from student to student, but the logistics should be similar.
Fall Semester of my Senior year: Enrolled in MCAT Prep course, began to get preliminary recommendation writers. I've asked in advanced at least a year ago for most my recommendation writers, so it was just a matter of reminding them. Start notifying my pre-med committee that I am interested in being interviewed for my committee letter. Began my personal statement.
Winter Break of my Senior year: Had a strong idea of who was going to write my recommendations, MCAT studying, perused through SDN to look for ideas post-graduation- still figuring out where to go, what to do, etc. Continued on my personal statement.
1st Half of Spring Semester of my Senior year: Found out all about SMPs, began to apply, and notified SMP adcoms that I intended on taking the MCAT in April. Continued on personal statement. MCAT studying. Full dedication to final courses (I wanted to end the school year with great grades)
2nd Half of Spring Semester of my Senior year: Took the MCATs, finalized SMP applications and submitted, finished personal statement, began to look into medical schools, had committee interview (which requires you finish many different things including personal statement, list of extracurriculars, etc. etc.)
Summer after graduation: Made my decisions on where I will attend. Submitted AMCAS with information about where I expect to attend, classes I intended to take there, etc. etc. Received and Finished most secondaries before program start in August. Looked for places to live, roommates, cost of living, if I needed a car... etc.
SMP- First half of the year: Wait to hear back from schools about decision, interviews, etc... Keep up with work and update schools with official grades and department recommendations
SMP- beyond: Havn't gotten here yet, but since I've been accepted by medical school, keep up with work and submit my final deposit to medical school before May. For those who havn't been accepted yet, if your program is one year, get ready to reapply with the full force of your grades in June again. Figure out what to do in that following year (continuing education seems to be the best way to further enhance your application). If your program is two years, continue on with your second year and keep sending in grades.

Which SMPs are out there?
http://services.aamc.org/postbac
On the right hand side, under the field "Degree Type" you can choose Special Masters. Traditional masters also lists some of the two year programs mentioned earlier.

Off the top of my head these come to mind:
University of Cincinnati Special Masters Program (M.S. Physiology)
Georgetown SMP (M.S. Physiology)
Boston University (M.A. Medical Sciences)- or BUMAMS
Drexel University Interdepartmental Medical Sciences (IMS) - Masters in Medical Sciences (M.M.S.)
Eastern Virginia Medical School (M.S. Biomedical Sciences)
Rosalind Franklin University (M.S. in Biomedical Sciences)
Indiana University (M.S. Health Sciences)
Loyola University (M.A. Medical Sciences)
Tulane University (ACP Program (Pharmacology)
Virginia Commonwealth University
Barry University
University of Pennsylvania Special Sciences Program
UMDNJ
Dartmouth University C.E.C.S. Center for Evaluative Clinical Sciences (I Believe MPH?)

There are many others, but those come to mind. Most of the "heavy hitters" are listed here. An outdated link of some of them are listed here
http://www.fiu.edu/~preprofc/GAP_YEAR_PROGRAMS.htm
However, going to google and querying "gap year programs", "special masters programs", "glide year programs", along with "medical school" will yield many results.
------------------------
More to come...

EDIT: (adding more)
How about adding my SMP classes to my AMCAS/AACOMAS?
You should now be applying/start applying to applying to SMPs (It is January of 2007 now- start of the new year is usually when applications open up). By May, you should know where you may be. By the time that AMCAS/AACOMAS opens up in early June/late May, you should have hopefully made some preliminary decision about where you will attend. That said, acquire a list of the courses you will be taking for the entire SMP year (if you can get them- Im sure the course director can provide you with this), and add it on AMCAS as classes you will be taking in your planned SMP. If possible, since not ALL schools know about what SMPs are- under the school name in which you list your graduate classes- list your school as XXX School of Medicine (if indeed your classes take place there in the official SMPs). Not only will this catch adcoms eyes, but it should give a heads up to those unfamiliar with what an SMP is. This is what I did with my AMCAS- I listed my entire course list under University of Cincinnati School of Medicine as graduate work.

Do SMP grades count as graduate work on the AMCAS or undergraduate?
Graduate. Take note that you may hear from others that many medical schools consider graduate grades less important than undergraduate on the tenet that some classes (particularly research ones) are easy grades. SMP grades are indeed graduate grades, but take comfort in that SMP grades usually don't get second-guessed on the tenet that your classes are those taken in medical school. If I had to make an educated guess, Id say that SMP grades, if not equal to the importance of an undergrad grade, is at the very least of a comparable weight/importance. There are other postbacs out there that allow its students to take advanced level courses in their undergraduate school. These grades can be added onto the undergraduate GPA.

Ok, Im taking the April MCAT and its approaching the deadline, what should I do?
April is starting to approach the deadlines for SMP so I understand your concern. I suggest submitting your application as early as possible, and include a printed note (if it isn't included in the application already) that you are taking the April MCAT and will have scores forwarded to them as soon as they are made available. That way, your application won't be automatically be dismissed.

What about osteopathy?
SMPs generally will be helpful for application into both allopathic and osteopathic schools, given that the courseload is pretty much the same the first year between both schools. There are osteopathic programs (some are listed above, I will add more later on), but SMPs work for both types of medical schools.

How about programs for dental school/predents?
This is repost off of other helpful posts about dental students and postbacs. As I am no expert on dental postbacs, it may be helpful to research through these forums and online to find more information about each of these in the respective dental fields.

Boston University - BUMAMS (BU MA in Medical Sciences) - Research based, however you can opt for the library thesis track and the program can take twelve months. Two concentration of interest to predental students within the masters program: oral biology and oral health. You can take classes alongside dental students here.

Barry University - MS in Biomedical Sciences - 1 year or 2 year track. didactic courses. Pretty straight forward, and they have impressive numbers on their website as far as successful d-school applicants go. I'm still skeptical about this program... it's probably not legitimate skepticism. classes taken alongside health professional students.

UMDNJ - MS in Biomedical Sciences - 1 year. didactic courses. A lot like Barry, but you can take classes with dental students like at boston. This is also the least expensive program i found.

Rosalind Franklin School of Medicine and Science - MS in Biomedical Sciences - 1 year. didactic courses taken alongside medical students. Again, pretty straightforward.

UPenn - No degree granted - This program accepts any standardize test score, and was overall the least attractive in my opinion. It's catered to med students, no degree, and really expensive. You take science courses alongside graduate science students and there's the name recognition.

UConn- There's one pre-dent in the post-bac program right now, and you can do upper level coursework if you have all the prereqs filled.

Is Saint Joseph's University MA in biological science a SMP????

I don't know if this thread still is monitored but... I tried to message Braluk but that e-mail address is nonexistent since 2006 I am assuming haha

First of all I think all of you guys at SDN are fantastic, helping clueless wannabe doctors like me.

I am currently in the penn post bac program and am having second thoughts. I have been reading up on the SDN and I think I probably should have done tulane/cincinatti/tufts/goucher.

Here are some stats:

GPA: 3.31 sGPA: 3.31 cGPA 3.31 Biomedical Engineer GWU

Old MCAT: 30

500 research hours / 400 clinical (EMT + shadowing) / from pa

Anyway I think I must stick with it now, so I must do well (which I think I will) and possibly boost the GPA to 3.4? Also I will try and blow the mcat out of the park (510+) then apply after I complete this year with my new grades on record.

Can anyone give me any other advice? Should I apply to another post bac program after this? Is it possible to switch?

Thank you in advance

Anyone have a fresh, updated list of SMPs that are up to date? Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
what should a masters gPA be to get into end school. the masters is in bioscience so its not a hard core science one

Hi everyone! I would like to apply to an SMP and I'm wondering if it's better to start one this spring or wait until the fall. I have already graduated from undergrad and I'm planning on applying to med school in the spring. Please send some advice my way :happy:

Hi everyone! I would like to apply to an SMP and I'm wondering if it's better to start one this spring or wait until the fall. I have already graduated from undergrad and I'm planning on applying to med school in the spring. Please send some advice my way :happy:

There are very few, if any, SMP's that begin during the spring semester. SMP's usually arrange their academic year so that a successful graduate would be able to matriculate to medical school if accepted immediately after finishing the SMP. So, if you start an SMP in the fall of 2017 and apply for medical school in the spring of 2017, then if everything goes well you will be completing your SMP in the spring/summer of 2018 and starting medical school in the fall of 2018. In other words, it's good to just start in the fall.

what should a masters gPA be to get into end school. the masters is in bioscience so its not a hard core science one

That depends on a number of things. If you are not taking classes with medical students, then your expectations will be a bit higher. If you are taking a masters for academic enhancement purposes, then medical schools will have about the same expectations for your gpa as they would for your college gpa. In other words, aim for 3.8+

There are very few, if any, SMP's that begin during the spring semester. SMP's usually arrange their academic year so that a successful graduate would be able to matriculate to medical school if accepted immediately after finishing the SMP. So, if you start an SMP in the fall of 2017 and apply for medical school in the spring of 2017, then if everything goes well you will be completing your SMP in the spring/summer of 2018 and starting medical school in the fall of 2018. In other words, it's good to just start in the fall.

Thank you! And also I'm debating between a public health masters or a masters in the sciences. Which one would look more valuable to an admissions committee?

Thank you! And also I'm debating between a public health masters or a masters in the sciences. Which one would look more valuable to an admissions committee?

That really depends. If you need an academic enhancement program, then an MPH won't do a whole lot of good. But if you are just looking for the experience, and you really want to go into public health, then an MPH would probably fit you. A masters in the sciences, if it is a rigorous program, will do more to help overcome a sub-par undergrad gpa, and a true SMP (where master's students take courses alongside medical students), is probably looked upon as the most favorable to admission committees insofar as rigor of coursework.

i'm deciding to apply to BU MAMS, Rosalind Franklin Masters in Biomedical Sciences and Georgetown SMP-and hoping to get into their medical school programs afterwards

if accepted, which one do you think is best based on my stats? i dont plan on retaking the mcat if i dont have to

cGPA: 3.63, sGPA: 3.51, MCAT=504 (127/124/125/128)-my 3rd and most recent attempt
research experience: two 1st author publications, one 5th author publication, first author on 5 abstracts presented at national conferences
your GPA is good. why are you doing an SMP?

Hi everyone! I'm currently a junior, and I'm trying to feel out my options for after graduation. My situation is a little unique because my university offers "advanced standing" which means that I'll be graduating after only 3 years of undergrad. Due to my financial situation, I will not be able to afford the final year which is why I am opting for this standing.

Currently, my cGPA is 3.1 and my sGPA is 2.8.
I'd say I have had a pretty strong trend in my semester GPA (2.6->3->3.3); however, I have received a C- in calculus and a C+ in organic chemistry.
The max cGPA I can get due to my early graduation is a 3.6. A more realistic cGPA though would be a 3.4.

I am planning on taking the MCAT over the summer, and although it is not a perfect predictor my ACT score was a 36 cumulative, so I am hoping for an above average MCAT after studying incessantly of course.
My ECs are not very strong, but I have been volunteering at a renowned hospital for almost a year and plan on continuing until graduation.
I have worked in a chemistry lab for about a year and a half and continue doing that until graduation.
I recently received my EMT-B certification and plan on working as an EMT until graduation.

I'm not sure what I should due at this point. I cannot decide whether I should do a post-bac or an SMP or just try and apply to medical schools now?
I'm honestly lost and would appreciate any help that anyone has to offer.

Hi everyone! I'm currently a junior, and I'm trying to feel out my options for after graduation. My situation is a little unique because my university offers "advanced standing" which means that I'll be graduating after only 3 years of undergrad. Due to my financial situation, I will not be able to afford the final year which is why I am opting for this standing.

Currently, my cGPA is 3.1 and my sGPA is 2.8.
I'd say I have had a pretty strong trend in my semester GPA (2.6->3->3.3); however, I have received a C- in calculus and a C+ in organic chemistry.
The max cGPA I can get due to my early graduation is a 3.6. A more realistic cGPA though would be a 3.4.

I am planning on taking the MCAT over the summer, and although it is not a perfect predictor my ACT score was a 36 cumulative, so I am hoping for an above average MCAT after studying incessantly of course.
My ECs are not very strong, but I have been volunteering at a renowned hospital for almost a year and plan on continuing until graduation.
I have worked in a chemistry lab for about a year and a half and continue doing that until graduation.
I recently received my EMT-B certification and plan on working as an EMT until graduation.

I'm not sure what I should due at this point. I cannot decide whether I should do a post-bac or an SMP or just try and apply to medical schools now?
I'm honestly lost and would appreciate any help that anyone has to offer.

I believe you need to re-take the C- in calculus since med schools accept a minimum of C grades. Also, another option is looking into DO programs, they offer grade replacement and could definitely save you some time and $$ instead of doing post-bac or SMP

either way I believe you should keep focusing on your grades for now and whenever you finish all your prereqs then start prepping for the MCAT. Due to your below ave GPAs it is really important that you give the MCAT your full dedication and focus

I was just accepted into the MAMS program at Boston University and am unsure if this is the right decision for me. I have a 3.97 GPA as a biochemistry major here at the University of Michigan and scored a 515 on the MCAT. Not all of my med school applications have officially been rejected yet, but I assume they will be because I have only a few hours of shadowing experience and zero research experience.

The question I have about the MAMS program is that, whether we choose the one or two year option, we have to apply to medical school before we have completed any of the research or thesis requirements. What will adcoms think of this when we apply?

The reason I applied to a few SMPs is to buy me a year or two to get more clinical exposure and some research experience. I don't think I would be able to support myself if I had to get a regular job and try to get clinical exposure/research experience next year (I am 32 years old).

The reason I applied to a few SMPs is to buy me a year or two to get more clinical exposure and some research experience. I don't think I would be able to support myself if I had to get a regular job and try to get clinical exposure/research experience next year (I am 32 years old).

How long ago did you graduate from college and how old are your pre-med prerequisite grades in general?

How long ago did you graduate from college and how old are your pre-med prerequisite grades in general?

I am actually still in college. This is my last semester and I will be graduating in April. I took the MCAT on August 20th, 2016.

I am actually still in college. This is my last semester and I will be graduating in April. I took the MCAT on August 20th, 2016.

I will side-step the fact that it would be overwhelmingly in your best interest not to do an SMP and address your question: you asked..."The question I have about the MAMS program is that, whether we choose the one or two year option, we have to apply to medical school before we have completed any of the research or thesis requirements. What will adcoms think of this when we apply?"

You are allowed to send updates throughout the year, and if a medical school knows that you are in a graduate program they may hold your application until they see your grades or other experiences like research. They may not hold your application as well, and in that case you may be reapplying with zero research experience in their eyes. The fact that you will be applying to medical school as a reapplicant without specifically addressing a major red flag on your application may be alarming. So, it might be a good idea to talk to someone at BU or wherever before you enroll in an SMP. Actually, it might be a good idea to specifically address your question to an ADCOM. I would either as an ADCOM on SDN or try to do an exit interview with one of the schools that you interviewed at.

The advice that I got when I didn't get in the first time was to wait a year before applying. It sounds awful, but there is literally nothing you can do in the next few months to correct your lack of EC's. And if you reapply again with the same application, you will almost certainly be rejected again. If BU actually has a requirement to apply this year, then I would suggest considering applying only to BU...sometimes the host institution can go easy on you, and you could end up getting accepted there. That way you don't burn bridges at other medical schools. That is just a thought though.

I will side-step the fact that it would be overwhelmingly in your best interest not to do an SMP and address your question: you asked..."The question I have about the MAMS program is that, whether we choose the one or two year option, we have to apply to medical school before we have completed any of the research or thesis requirements. What will adcoms think of this when we apply?"

You are allowed to send updates throughout the year, and if a medical school knows that you are in a graduate program they may hold your application until they see your grades or other experiences like research. They may not hold your application as well, and in that case you may be reapplying with zero research experience in their eyes. The fact that you will be applying to medical school as a reapplicant without specifically addressing a major red flag on your application may be alarming. So, it might be a good idea to talk to someone at BU or wherever before you enroll in an SMP. Actually, it might be a good idea to specifically address your question to an ADCOM. I would either as an ADCOM on SDN or try to do an exit interview with one of the schools that you interviewed at.

The advice that I got when I didn't get in the first time was to wait a year before applying. It sounds awful, but there is literally nothing you can do in the next few months to correct your lack of EC's. And if you reapply again with the same application, you will almost certainly be rejected again. If BU actually has a requirement to apply this year, then I would suggest considering applying only to BU...sometimes the host institution can go easy on you, and you could end up getting accepted there. That way you don't burn bridges at other medical schools. That is just a thought though.

The problem for me is that I am 32 and cannot just go home to live with my parents. I can't just spend all of my time volunteering and doing research because I will not have any money to live on. So, I'm not sure what to do.

The problem for me is that I am 32 and cannot just go home to live with my parents. I can't just spend all of my time volunteering and doing research because I will not have any money to live on. So, I'm not sure what to do.
Can you get a job that allows you to get clinical (scribe, EMT) or research experience (lab tech)? Sure, it might not pay well, but at least you're still getting paid for it and it should be enough for you to live on if you work full time.

There is a high chance that your SMP GPA will be lower than 3.97... so why risk it? Also, it is a lot of unnecessary debt for you.

I understand that it can be very difficult as a non-traditional student. I would at least apply to some jobs in a research lab though. You never know. Getting paid to do research and volunteering on the weekends is probably the ideal situation for you.

I was just accepted into the MAMS program at Boston University and am unsure if this is the right decision for me. I have a 3.97 GPA as a biochemistry major here at the University of Michigan and scored a 515 on the MCAT. Not all of my med school applications have officially been rejected yet, but I assume they will be because I have only a few hours of shadowing experience and zero research experience.

The question I have about the MAMS program is that, whether we choose the one or two year option, we have to apply to medical school before we have completed any of the research or thesis requirements. What will adcoms think of this when we apply?

Hi! I'm a current first year in the MAMS program and in my opinion I would highly advise to not do this program. This program is more tailored for people that have GPAs in the 3.0-3.5 range and have a low MCAT score/have never taken the MCAT before. This is the case for most people my year and since you already have a great GPA and MCAT, it won't look good if you do this program and your SMP GPA is lower than your undergrad one plus you'll be spelling $50k when you don't really need the program to begin with. Like what other people have said, think it may be a better option if you take the year to work as a scribe, EMT, volunteer, or even apply to some research masters programs to gain research experience. When I applied to MAMS I also applied to some research masters programs just incase (such as Jefferson's MBS program) so I'd look into those too! Also, Temple's ACMS program is a lot smaller (25 people I think), but if you score a 30 on your MCAT and get a 3.5 program you automatically get admitted to Temple Med so that's another option.

But to answer your question, you don't have to apply to medical school before you've finished your thesis. For people that are doing the one year option, you'll have applied to med school prior to entering the program and for time saving purposes will do the literature option for their thesis. But for people that are doing the two year option, you can either apply in June after the academic year and start research this fall or you can take some more classes in addition to the ones you required to take for MAMS to boost your GPA and apply after the research year. This isn't uncommon either. Essentially the faculty at MAMS, especially Dr. Offner, are extremely accommodating to everyone's situations. If you have any other questions about MAMS or SMPS lemme know!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any information about Brown's Master in Medical Sciences program? I was reading about it on the website but was wondering if anyone whose completed the program could provide feedback. Thanks!

Hi All,

Looking for some guidance. I am a 24.5 year-old Management Information Systems graduate from Penn State with cGPA of 3.0. My coursework includes Calculus with a B- and Biology (taken at local community college which transferred to PSU).

I currently work in IT Security/Compliance for a software development firm, but would like to pursue a career in the medical field. I am beginning to interview MD friends and clients to help form a plan of action. However, I am interested to know if anyone on this board is currently or has been in a similar position. If so, what path did you follow? What are my options at this point?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

Hi All,

Looking for some guidance. I am a 24.5 year-old Management Information Systems graduate from Penn State with cGPA of 3.0. My coursework includes Calculus with a B- and Biology (taken at local community college which transferred to PSU).

I currently work in IT Security/Compliance for a software development firm, but would like to pursue a career in the medical field. I am beginning to interview MD friends and clients to help form a plan of action. However, I am interested to know if anyone on this board is currently or has been in a similar position. If so, what path did you follow? What are my options at this point?

Any guidance is much appreciated!

You need to take all of of the pre-med prereqs - you really should get all A's or very close it. You could do a career changers post-bac, but with your very low GPA I think it might be better to just take the pre-reqs at a local state university. You could try to enroll as a degree seeking student to get higher priority for the pre-req courses, which can fill quickly.

Once you finish the pre-reqs, you need to take the MCAT and hopefully do very well.

Once you complete your pre-reqs and have your MCAT score, you can then see how competitive your app is. You may need to do some sort of academic enhancement post-bac or SMP to really show medical schools that your old grades are not indicative of the type of student that you currently are.

Starting today you need to volunteer for 3-4 hours per week in a hospital or other healthcare setting. You should try to shadow once per month, and you should look for other leadership activities at whichever school you decide to take your pre-reqs. You should also get involved in research if you can, and you need to get a weekly or bi-weekly non-clinical volunteering gig.

There are so many stories on this site of people overcoming much larger academic hurdles than you, so you should spend a lot of time researching this forum. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, looking for suggestions, I really really appreciate the help, very anxious for the past month

cGPA: 2.98
sGPA: 2.95

Just graduated from a large midwest state school.

I worked for a year and a half as a Medical Scribe (Family prac and ER)
I tutored both disadvantaged students in Math and Science in the city and Science tutoring in my university
I worked in both a soup kitchen and red cross in the city for 2 semesters
I have a year of research experience, mostly in Gen Chem (Chromatography and the like)
I have shadowing experience (50+) with a DO doctor in GI as well as strong rec letter from him. I can get additional DO shadowing hours through him as well (godsend)

I want to go to DO school eventually, but I'm wondering what sort of programs I should be looking at. I'm assuming that a Post-bacc program is required for me, and I have done a tour at LECOM (it was a bastard of a drive) which I liked a lot.
My AIS score is 113 (30 ACT in high school), but I am scheduled to take the MCAT March 31st and have been studying extensively for it so I will be prepared to do well. Can you guys let me know if a Post-bacc program or SMP program is best, and point me in the right direction? I have a strong upward trend in my classes after an abysmal freshman year and academic dismissal, but I took responsibilty for it and have a full explanation of the issues that led to it and how I have bounced back and recovered from it. Thank you all for the help!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! !

Anyone have any advice on how many masters or SMP programs to apply to or any sort of acceptance rates?

I have a 3.6 GPA, 3.3 sGPA degree in BioEngineering from a top engineering school, 519 MCAT, but med school apps not going so well :/
I was thinking to apply to the U.Mich Biochemistry Masters :) and also some Masters in Medical Sciences programs, like at UVermont. I know it is a little late now though

Thanks!

Hello Everyone. I am looking for some advice on which SMP to apply for. I have a cGPA 3.21 sGPA 3.11, I have not yet taken the MCAT but would like the program to potentially have an option for MCAT prep. I have taken the GRE and made a 298. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Everyone. I am looking for some advice on which SMP to apply for. I have a cGPA 3.21 sGPA 3.11, I have not yet taken the MCAT but would like the program to potentially have an option for MCAT prep. I have taken the GRE and made a 298. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Check out the Masters program at NJMS. If you get the required MCAT grade (which they offer a course to take) and maintain a 3.5 GPA you will garner an interview to their medical school. I didn't get in to their med school, but it earned me an acceptance to medical school elsewhere so for that I am forever grateful

Can someone help me decide if an SMP is right for me or not? I have a 3.53 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, and a 511 on the MCATs. I have good ECs, good LORs and 2 years of research. My weaker side would be clinical experience, my shadowing/volunteering at a hopsital would only be about ~100 hours. I'm trying to figure out if I should do the Robert Wood Johnson (formerly UMDNJ) Masters in Biomedical sciences program. I was planning on still applying this cycle and sending updates to schools along the way (but now I'm confused if that's even allowed because some schools have it listed that they don't accept updates to the application once it's been submitted). Do you think a SMP is necessary for me?

Can someone help me decide if an SMP is right for me or not? I have a 3.53 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, and a 511 on the MCATs. I have good ECs, good LORs and 2 years of research. My weaker side would be clinical experience, my shadowing/volunteering at a hopsital would only be about ~100 hours. I'm trying to figure out if I should do the Robert Wood Johnson (formerly UMDNJ) Masters in Biomedical sciences program. I was planning on still applying this cycle and sending updates to schools along the way (but now I'm confused if that's even allowed because some schools have it listed that they don't accept updates to the application once it's been submitted). Do you think a SMP is necessary for me?

Why not just try to find clinical opportunities for the summer and throughout the cycle?

Hi, I'm not too sure if this thread is still active... but if you were accepted to Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown, Case Western Reserve SMP, which would you choose? I'm an international so I really want to choose a school that maximizes my opportunity to get into any US medical schools... I would really appreciate your valued concerns/opinions/advice.

You don't need to be a Science major to do an SMP right? You just need the med school pre-reqs, an MCAT and other things you'd need for a med school app?

Also, since SMP's have GPA cutoffs, does that mean that anyone below gets screened, and their app doesn't even get looked at, even if they displayed an upward trend or a really good MCAT?

You don't need to be a Science major to do an SMP right? You just need the med school pre-reqs, an MCAT and other things you'd need for a med school app?

Also, since SMP's have GPA cutoffs, does that mean that anyone below gets screened, and their app doesn't even get looked at, even if they displayed an upward trend or a really good MCAT?

No you don't need to be a science major! They usually have just their required pre reqs. The cutoffs for a lot of them aren't absolute. Many do take into account other factors. I know people with sub 3.0 GPAs that have gotten into SMPs with upward trends and decent scores! Definitely worth a try applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile