**The Official Guide to Special Masters Programs**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's my situation:
I'm in my 4th year at a small university. i was a math major my first three years and then switched to pre-med. i will be taking the MCAT for the first time in May, and i typically do well on standardized tests. My cum GPA is 3.36 and my BCMP is somewhere around 3.0. I had a few Cs in my math classes that brought the science GPA down, but my biology and chemistry grades are almost all As. I also have some volunteering, shadowing, and health-related work under my belt.

My options:
1. do an SMP or trad. masters for the next 1-2 years while applying to medical schools, or
2. stay an undergrad for an extra year and try to bring my GPA up.

I know that SMPs are difficult, and I don't want to run the risk of ruining my borderline cum GPA, although i do need to increase my science GPA. The problem with staying an undergrad is that my school doesn't have any kind of reputation. I was looking at the programs at Loyola, Drexel, Georgetown, and UCinn... and I think it would be helpful to have a big name on my application, as well as an MS or MA.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice for someone in my situation? Would it be worth the risk to do a master's program?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm I think its highly dependent on what you get on your MCAT. If you get around a 30, I think it would be in your best option to go for an SMP simply because an extra year of great grades (not a guarantee) may not necessarily bring it up to the levels you may need to make yourself more competitive. Its hard to raise your GPA significantly even if you get perfect grades, just given the nature of how a cumulative GPA works. If you score significantly well on the MCAT (Id say anything 34 and over, I know 34 is an arbitrary number buT you get the idea), Id say you could go without the SMP and try your luck with med schools, but there is still a significant chance you may not get into medical school.

thanks for the advice braluk. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a pre-dental student and I seriously thought about an SMP, but I don't think it's the best option for me. My scores are perfect for an SMP 3.2 overall GPA 3.1 science with 20/21 DAT scores which are in the 90th plus percentiles. I read the introductory thread and reaserched the school briefly and then 2 in depth. The two main programs that I was considering were the Barry program in Miami, FL and the Boston University Program. Both of these programs are highly rated and are not designed to raise your GPA. The Boston progam is the most interesting because it has a new division in oral biology which given the course description sounds like it would be prepare you very well for dental school. The Barry progam is also top rated, but the amount of propaganda they've sent me once I gave them my address is overwhelming. The progam sounds solid and would give you a great insight into anatomy, biochemistry, and physiology. My main reason for deciding not apply was due to cost and logistics. The Boston progam costs 35k in tuition alone plus you have to come up with housing costs. Barry's costs are similar and living costs in Miami are also high. The other problem I saw was traveling from Boston and Miami to the schools I'm applying to which are mostly in the South. Also, getting out of class to interview at a few schools while trying to complete a rigorous science curriculum proses an additonal problem. In the end I decided to delay my undergrad graduation and take more hard science classes; however not everyone will be able to do this because some universities and colleges do not allow students to delay graduation without petitioning and going through a lot of red tape.

Good luck, I hope this helped some of the pre-dents that read this thread. The Boston progam is very tempting and I feel confident that after completing the program that I would be accepted to some dental school, but I think I can still get into dental school and spend a lot less money doing it by simply delaying my graduation and taking hard science classes and doing well.

Thanks for the insight EnviroDentist. Feel free to come back and post in the rate your SMP/Postbac once you start/complete the program and provide some insight for our fellow SDN pre-dents- we're lacking in that area in our input in the postbac forums. :)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

well-done, Braluk. You've put everything in one place that I will need over the next few months.

THANKS!

Hi All,
I am currently trying to decide between attending the University of Cincinnati SMP or Boston University's. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the two programs. Ive done my research, but I am still having difficulty deciding which is best (I wish there was some sort of a ranking system?). So if anyone has anything to add, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :)

I never heard of these programs until I joined this site.

I think it may be too late to apply to such a program...

I have taken most of my pre-med reqs (minus physics and a second semester of intro chem) and have not taken my mcat. Ive been reading that most of these programs ask for an MCAT but I dont think i would have dont so great b/c my science grades are very poor (they range from C to F) and I dont have all the classes I need to complete a pre-med courseload. I have applied to two post bacc programs...in hopes of taking the courses I need over b/c I did so poorly.

For these SMP programs: would I able to get in w/o taking all my requirements? or is it best to take my requirements over, take the MCAT, enter an SMP then go to med school? Im so confused with everything...

Does anyone have any information on where Georgetown SMP students eventually end up? I.e. information on what schools they ended up being accepted/interviewed at... I've been accepted to the UC program and am waiting on Georgetown SMP.. and would like to see how students who have completed the programs have fared. I've seen a PDF written by UC students with a listing of places they have been accepted/interviewed at, so that's helpful. I would like to see one for Georgetown, though.

Does anyone have any information on where Georgetown SMP students eventually end up? I.e. information on what schools they ended up being accepted/interviewed at... I've been accepted to the UC program and am waiting on Georgetown SMP.. and would like to see how students who have completed the programs have fared. I've seen a PDF written by UC students with a listing of places they have been accepted/interviewed at, so that's helpful. I would like to see one for Georgetown, though.

http://smp.georgetown.edu/prevclass.htm

The lists are pretty dated, but it should give you a rough idea.

For these SMP programs: would I able to get in w/o taking all my requirements? or is it best to take my requirements over, take the MCAT, enter an SMP then go to med school? Im so confused with everything...

SMP are for people who have already completed all the premed requirements. It's highly recommended that you take the MCAT before the program, since they use it as a critiera of admission. Judging from your post, it seems a bit premature to be jumping into a SMP. My advice is to first finish your premed courses and try to do well on MCAT and then see where you stand.

^^^ Thanks for your advice. Im going to do post-bacc then take it from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Braluk,
Thanks for posting this thread and answering everyone's questions. My situation is that my MCAT score is expiring and I have a 2.9 science gpa. My MCAT score is very low (25 overall after taking it 3 times), but I'm afraid that if I take it again I will do worse. Are there any SMPs that are only 1 year long, have deadlines that have not already passed, and accept applicants with a 2.9 GPA? I know that these requirements really limit down the choices, and that I am asking for a lot, but I would really like it if you would help me. Also, I'm not URM, have graduated from college, and I have taken the core science level classes required for med school. My overall GPA is higher than my science GPA (but still lower than 3.5) if that helps. If there are any SMPs that fit these criteria, can you also let me know which ones offer residency? Thanks in advance.

Hi All,
I am currently trying to decide between attending the University of Cincinnati SMP or Boston University's. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the two programs. Ive done my research, but I am still having difficulty deciding which is best (I wish there was some sort of a ranking system?). So if anyone has anything to add, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :)

This is a biased opinion, but I definately think UC is better, mostly for the small size. We get lots of one-on-one time with the professors, and because of this interaction, we aren't treated like a pack of animals. I've never been a big believer of rankings, but if you want a number, UC's Physiology Dept. was ranked 6th Nationally in terms of Faculty Productivity (Here's the Top 10 list: http://chronicle.com/stats/productivity/page.php?primary=12&secondary=109&bycat=Go#) Not that BU isn't a good school, but don't make the mistake of discrediting the quality of education at UC.

Yes it is an SMP (Masters in Medical Sciences), but the deadline passed about a month ago.

Yes it is an SMP (Masters in Medical Sciences), but the deadline passed about a month ago.

boooo~ :( o well.......hmmmm i'm jus curious but....since north texas is an osteopathic school....would you essentially be taking first year DO classes?

Braluk,
Thanks for posting this thread and answering everyone's questions. My situation is that my MCAT score is expiring and I have a 2.9 science gpa. My MCAT score is very low (25 overall after taking it 3 times), but I'm afraid that if I take it again I will do worse. Are there any SMPs that are only 1 year long, have deadlines that have not already passed, and accept applicants with a 2.9 GPA? I know that these requirements really limit down the choices, and that I am asking for a lot, but I would really like it if you would help me. Also, I'm not URM, have graduated from college, and I have taken the core science level classes required for med school. My overall GPA is higher than my science GPA (but still lower than 3.5) if that helps. If there are any SMPs that fit these criteria, can you also let me know which ones offer residency? Thanks in advance.

If anyone can answer this question (not just Braluk) I would appreciate it, and would anyone know if SMPs are best for me or should I try post-bac programs or something else. I'm sorry for the long post and if some of these questions have already been answered.

If anyone can answer this question (not just Braluk) I would appreciate it, and would anyone know if SMPs are best for me or should I try post-bac programs or something else. I'm sorry for the long post and if some of these questions have already been answered.

Dude, nobody knows what to tell you...you have low grades, and a 25 mcat on your 3rd testing...doesn't look like med school is in the cards for you unless you can really ratchet up the mcat.

One suggestion - rather than dropping $50k on an SMP, you need to take an mcat review course, study for 3 solid months, and see if you can crack 30. If yes, then come back and maybe someone will point you in the right direction.

But from everything I have read, taking the mcat a 4th time is really frowned upon, and it is my understanding they will have access to your expired scores, too, so they will see your poor track record.

Better have a plan B...

Listen Ben: If you really want something, go for it. Anyone can give out discouraging comments, but you have to set yourself up for what you want to accomplish. I would consider DO schools. A 25 MCAT is not that bad (I think most DO schools average around 26 or 27, so you're OK). If you know you can score higher, take the MCAT again. I know of people that have taken it multiple times, and have later gotten into med school.

If you want to raise your GPA, do a post-bac or enroll in an SMP program (apply and see what happens). If you have a lot of courses already, and taking a post-bac wouldn't raise your GPA by much even if you get straight A's, then enroll in an SMP and show med schools that you can get the grades necessary and that you can perform at the level of a med student.

Just my two cents. Don't give up.

Dude, nobody knows what to tell you...you have low grades, and a 25 mcat on your 3rd testing...doesn't look like med school is in the cards for you unless you can really ratchet up the mcat.

One suggestion - rather than dropping $50k on an SMP, you need to take an mcat review course, study for 3 solid months, and see if you can crack 30. If yes, then come back and maybe someone will point you in the right direction.

But from everything I have read, taking the mcat a 4th time is really frowned upon, and it is my understanding they will have access to your expired scores, too, so they will see your poor track record.

Better have a plan B...

wow....what a jerk...

Ben I have a similar MCAT score as you (24, then 25) I know my problem was that I just didn't devote the time necessary to do well (first test was in April and I was still in school so that really hammered me, second time was in August of that same year so I only had ~2 months to study for the August test while taking summer school....hey, I was trying to graduate..I was a fifth year, what can I say?!). Find out what you really need to do to improve that MCAT score, and DON'T take it until you are fully confident you will get ~30. My gpa is slightly higher than yours, it really helps to break that 3.0 barrier to get into smps and post bacs. I would take postbac classes to get that 3.0, or at least get a 4.0 for an entire year of coursework to show that you can do well in school, then apply to an smp.

-PlAnEjaNe

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm going to keep studying for the MCAT and when I feel I can do well I will take it a 4th time. I'm also going to apply to SMPs so that I can do well and improve my GPA. Again, thanks for your help, guys.

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm going to keep studying for the MCAT and when I feel I can do well I will take it a 4th time. I'm also going to apply to SMPs so that I can do well and improve my GPA. Again, thanks for your help, guys.

First try to get some feedback for your specific situation from a med school where you have applied. It would seem that you really have to take a deep look because you are not competitive because you have not demonstrated mastery of the sciences via grades and support that with a lower MCAT. Double whammy. You need to get information, evaluate, and then if it all still comes up MD take your time to build a solid application. Often this would mean a very solid, full-time, basic science MS to build that solid foundation supported by an increased MCAT score. I provided the following on another thread (MS vs SMP vs MPH) a few days ago:

I recommend great caution when choosing an SMP, it's an "end game" option. If you do well you are competitive for entry to med school, if you dont you're cooked. Make sure you have a solid science backgroung before starting the first year "trial" med school that is often the make-up of the SMP. Regarding the MPH, if you are trying to prove your prowess in basic sciences after a weaker showing in your undergrad degree stay away from the MPH --- there is not normally enough solid basic science in an MPH to prove much to an admissions committee. Finally the MS in basic science may be your best solution to showing that your undergrad effort was not the real you. If you got a slow start and have an upward trend in your science GPA and need to continue to show a strong trend, maybe even strengthen your foundation for another run at the MCAT, this may be your best option. Of course you should also keep the fires lit in your medical motivation etc, during all of this. Again, my opinionated generalized response. Get good advice on your individual situation. Getting into med school is becoming more competitive with increased numbers of applicants. Each applicant needs to take their time to put a solid application together to make it all happen."

Reactions: 1 user
REL,
Thanks for the advice. I will look into the programs and my options some more, but off the top of your head, are there any MS programs that you would recommend? Also, I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but DO is an option for me, but whether I go MD or DO, I want to get good academic grades and scores first.

There are too many MS programs to really compare given the vast differences between all of them in all different fields. I think if you wanted to put your money in an MS as a safer bet before the SMP (as it is "end game" as REL referenced), you should take a look into the curriculum, credits, cost. You'll want to find a MS that hits on a lot of the hard sciences that SMPs also tend to hit, but not necessarily in a medical school setting. For example, classes like molecular physiology, neurophysiology, pharmacology, immunology, biochemistry, etc..etc.. are some of the heavy hitting classes that MS classes offer that are also difficult in nature as well.

I've currently been accepted to three MS programs. Tulane, UMDNJ and a MS program in Nutrition at Columbia University. Anybody have any comparisons/insights to where to attend? Thanks.

If you're opting to be in a special masters program, I believe that Tulane is the only one that allows you actually take medical school classes. For the nutrition degree program, Im not sure how effective this would be in terms of proving your grades as effectively as an SMP does. Im not totally familiar with the UMDNJ program, but if I am not mistaken, although you take some fairly science heavy courses, Im not entirely sure if you take them in a medical school setting. You have to also weigh the pros and cons of costs and whatnot.

We take actual medical school classes at BU (Histology, Physiology, Endo, Immuno). Biochem is the same course taught by most of the same professors but only with the masters students.

I've currently been accepted to three MS programs. Tulane, UMDNJ and a MS program in Nutrition at Columbia University. Anybody have any comparisons/insights to where to attend? Thanks.

I, too, was debating between Tulane's MS in Cell Bio (is this the one you are talking about when you say MS at Tulane?) and Columbia's MS in Nutrition....
After thinking for countless hours (or at least, it felt like it :p ) I realized that a degree in nutritional science won't have much use for me. And I was looking over this program's listed/offered classes and there weren't a lot of classes that I wanted to take (most of their classes are nutrition-related (obviously) but I want to take bio related classes).
In the end, I decided on Tulane's MS because it offers a bunch of classes that I actually want to take, will give me a chance to do research and is a lot cheaper than living in New York.

Hope this helps....

Just a fact. UMDNJ does actually allow students to take upto 2 medical school classes as part of their master's program. There're two UMDNJ master's programs-one in Newark and one in Stratford...both allow 2 medical school classes but newark only offers them in the fall, while stratford offers in both the fall and spring. I'm actually considering this program right now, so anyone who has experience/thoughts/suggestions, please let me know! :)

I, too, was debating between Tulane's MS in Cell Bio (is this the one you are talking about when you say MS at Tulane?) and Columbia's MS in Nutrition....
After thinking for countless hours (or at least, it felt like it :p ) I realized that a degree in nutritional science won't have much use for me. And I was looking over this program's listed/offered classes and there weren't a lot of classes that I wanted to take (most of their classes are nutrition-related (obviously) but I want to take bio related classes).
In the end, I decided on Tulane's MS because it offers a bunch of classes that I actually want to take, will give me a chance to do research and is a lot cheaper than living in New York.

Hope this helps....

The Tulane program is actually in Human Genetics. I'm leaning more towards the Columbia program because I figure that the program will give me plenty of exposure to other ideas other than medical school. I'm not 100% sure that I want to go onto medical school, so I figure that it will give me more leeway in whatever the future has in store. Also, the Tulane program is way too far from me right now (Pennsylvania) and it's just not a good time for NOLA, no offense to anyone.

Although one could argue that having an MS in genetics is probably also just as fruitful as that in nutrition. With the rise and emergence of newly discovered genetic diseases, populations affected by genetic diseases, and the relative incurability of many diseases, a geneticist, or genetic counselor may see a steady and rising source of income in the coming years. Nutritionists will also probably see a similar rise given the rising diet-related health problems in the country.

Ok these are my stats
Undergrad GPA ~2.9 (in addition have 4.0 at com college on 12 hours and will be going to University of Houston full time in the fall taking some upper level sciences, i.e. biochem, calc, physiology)

I haven't taken the MCAT but I am taking a Kaplan course soon and hope to take it this fall.

Sort of weird situation: Started college at 15 (skipped 10-12) and grades weren't exactly stellar.

Spoke with Karen at UC and she said the best thing would be to apply to the SMP next year at which time I will have completed around 40 hrs hopefully at 4.0. Hoping GPA will be raised to at least 3.1 or 3.2.

How do you see my situation as far as the SMP(given I score 30+ on MCAT) and should I apply to med school next year before starting the SMP? How competitive do you think I would be (especially Texas schools)?

I'm on 4 wailtlists and no acceptances. Should I frantically apply to SMPs, or is that futile at this point?

- Brief SMP Question -

Cum: 2.9
Science: 3.2
MCAT: Have NOT Taken i t yet.

I Have taken part in a multitude of leadership events for a nationally recognized association (American Society of Clinical Laboratory Scientists)

Hold two leadership postition
1.) Board member for my major (Medical Laboratory Science)
2.) Chairman of Government affairs for ASCLS student forum

Received two Medical technology honorary awards

And am currently working as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Boston.

-----> I was wondering what are my chances, if any, of getting into an SMP and where? I didn't have my head right in college and I am looking to further "prove" myself academically in lieu of my aforementioned undergraduate status. Let me know! Thank you.:)

I'm on 4 wailtlists and no acceptances. Should I frantically apply to SMPs, or is that futile at this point?
It's not entirely futile, I applied to SMPs around this time after my MCAT and still got into most of them. If it will save you a gap/glide year, I say throw a little bit more money in the wind to see where it falls, it certainly can't hurt.

Ok these are my stats
Undergrad GPA ~2.9 (in addition have 4.0 at com college on 12 hours and will be going to University of Houston full time in the fall taking some upper level sciences, i.e. biochem, calc, physiology)

I haven't taken the MCAT but I am taking a Kaplan course soon and hope to take it this fall.

Sort of weird situation: Started college at 15 (skipped 10-12) and grades weren't exactly stellar.

Spoke with Karen at UC and she said the best thing would be to apply to the SMP next year at which time I will have completed around 40 hrs hopefully at 4.0. Hoping GPA will be raised to at least 3.1 or 3.2.

How do you see my situation as far as the SMP(given I score 30+ on MCAT) and should I apply to med school next year before starting the SMP? How competitive do you think I would be (especially Texas schools)?
If you score 30+ on the MCAT and if you raise your GPA to around 3.1-3.2 you should probably be a competitive applicant to your high end SMPs. And yes, generally I suggest to all students to apply in the summer before their SMP starts (AND MAKE SURE YOU FINISH ALL SECONDARIES BEFORE IT STARTS because you wont be able to really make time for both SMP and applications). Now your age might bring up some issues, but if you demonstrate maturity through your extracurriculars, personal statement, etc.. and of course doing well in your classes, you should be ok

- Brief SMP Question -

Cum: 2.9
Science: 3.2
MCAT: Have NOT Taken i t yet.

I Have taken part in a multitude of leadership events for a nationally recognized association (American Society of Clinical Laboratory Scientists)

Hold two leadership postition
1.) Board member for my major (Medical Laboratory Science)
2.) Chairman of Government affairs for ASCLS student forum

Received two Medical technology honorary awards

And am currently working as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist in Boston.

-----> I was wondering what are my chances, if any, of getting into an SMP and where? I didn't have my head right in college and I am looking to further "prove" myself academically in lieu of my aforementioned undergraduate status. Let me know! Thank you.:)
What is your grade trend? if it is on the rise you should be in a decent position to get into an SMP. However, this is totally dependent on your MCAT score. Obviously you're going to want to aim for a 30+ and given how competitive applicants pools are getting, you'll want to aim a little higher than just 30 alone. SMPs like georgetown and UC have a minimum requirement of a 3.0 cumulative GPA, so if you could bring that up over a 3.0 you should have a shot at getting into those places. There are also other SMPs that I list in this thread on the first page that have a little less strict entrance requirements so you may want to check those out.

braluk,

I've been accepted to Georgetown's SMP Class of 08, and I'd like to know any advice you could possibly give me before the start of classes!

First I want to say thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.
My question is, what are my chances of getting into an SMP? I plan to apply when my MCAT scores come in. I am taking the MCAT on May 25th.

Here are my stats:

Cum GPA at community college: 3.252
Science GPA at CC: 3.545
Trend at CC was flat

Cum GPA at university: 3.05 Trend: 3.00, 2.333, 2.750, 3.308, 2.571, 3.600
Science GPA at university: 3.094 Trend: 3.00, 2.333, 2.750, 3.700, 3.00, 3.500

Extracurriculars: work part-time, member of Physics club and ACS, did not do much volunteer b/c I knew I wasn't getting in to med school as an undergrade with my low GPA so instead wanted to focus on grades and job, but I will start volunteering this summer. Also will have strong LOR from 300 level Biochem proffesor, Physics, and 300 level Mol Bio professor.

So my question is, what are my chances at an SMP? I am a Chicago resident and am applying to Loyola, Midwestern, BU, and some others, if I haven't yet missed the deadline on them. Also should I send in my applications now without the MCAT scores and send them later when they come in OR send it all together in one package? If I wait to send them in together, I think it would be around Jun 25th, if the scores are in by then.

so i just graduated

GPA 3.4
science GPA ~ 3.5
MCAT 27N

GPA trend
freshman yr - 3.25, 2.94
soph yr - 2.83, 3.57
jr year - 3.7, 3.53
sr yr - 3.75, 3.75

So far waitlisted at EVMS and accepted into BU MAMS. I'm taking the summer off to just study for the MCAT (no full time job like last time). I'm having second thoughts about graduate school in general :[ Right now my focus is going to be just on MCATs...but I'm still just not sure what to do in general. I have Georgetown, UC, Drexel, and Loyola-Chicago left to hear from. The only two schools I know I'd go for sure is UC and EVMS because of the extremely small class size. I'm kind of worried about competition and just finishing in the middle of the pack when I'm surrounded by 150 other brilliant people :|

I've got a question. How does an SMP work in terms of applying to Medical school? Do you have to finish the SMP and than Apply or can you apply right after you get an SMP acceptance?

depends on the program
georgetown SMP wants you to apply the summer before you enter the SMP
others want you to apply after you finish (lag year)

braluk,

I've been accepted to Georgetown's SMP Class of 08, and I'd like to know any advice you could possibly give me before the start of classes!
Send a PM to our other advisor on the postbac forums, imrep1972 , he went to Georgetown's SMP and would probably have better advice to give about the program prior to matriculating than I would =) Good luck!

First I want to say thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.
My question is, what are my chances of getting into an SMP? I plan to apply when my MCAT scores come in. I am taking the MCAT on May 25th.

Here are my stats:

Cum GPA at community college: 3.252
Science GPA at CC: 3.545
Trend at CC was flat

Cum GPA at university: 3.05 Trend: 3.00, 2.333, 2.750, 3.308, 2.571, 3.600
Science GPA at university: 3.094 Trend: 3.00, 2.333, 2.750, 3.700, 3.00, 3.500

Extracurriculars: work part-time, member of Physics club and ACS, did not do much volunteer b/c I knew I wasn't getting in to med school as an undergrade with my low GPA so instead wanted to focus on grades and job, but I will start volunteering this summer. Also will have strong LOR from 300 level Biochem proffesor, Physics, and 300 level Mol Bio professor.

So my question is, what are my chances at an SMP? I am a Chicago resident and am applying to Loyola, Midwestern, BU, and some others, if I haven't yet missed the deadline on them. Also should I send in my applications now without the MCAT scores and send them later when they come in OR send it all together in one package? If I wait to send them in together, I think it would be around Jun 25th, if the scores are in by then.
Send your application in now and notify them in a separate note (make sure that the note is noticeable) that you are taking the May 25th MCAT and that you will forward scores as soon as they are made available in late June. On that note, your GPA seems to be in line with most SMPs although it may be a little lower than your high end SMPs. However, I think this is totally dependent on your MCAT score, as that is what seems to be the decision maker of getting into a SMP or not (SMPs traditionally want their students to have high MCAT scores on the tenet that the SMP is there to rectify your undergrad grades, not your MCAT score). With that in mind, I suggest you continue to apply broadly and let us know how your MCAT turns out. Good luck!

Im a big big time saver..and time is a big issue..i know im young and still ahead of the game in terms of applying but still..if i can save more time..why not? as it is medicine is a lifelong journey..might as well start asap..so I am thinking about going postbacc fall 2007 (wherhever i get in , in addition to the two so far, barry u and umdnj) .. and i would liek to be eligible for FALL 2008 which means i would have to send out AMCAS THIS june, of 2007, and update the schools with my course grades and such, correct? (btw how do i indicate on amcas, since i have not CHOSEN a postbacc yet, that I will be attending a postbacc for sure). Back to my old point, would it be a good idea to take the september mcats..or the august mcats? which is better and why..and say i'll more prepared for the september 8th mcat rather than august 20th...(assuming schools will be accepting september scores) would it be detrimental to take the september mcats...or should i, regardless, aim for the august mcats? any other changes or thoughts to my approach are welcomed..thanks everyone!
If you're aiming to matriculate into Fall of 2008, you can take it in September, heck you can even take it in the spring of 2008 and still be OK. Take the test when you feel prepared and then apply. As for AMCAS, make your choice then put the courses on the course listings. If not, indicate in your personal statement somewhere about your choice to attend a postbac.

so i just graduated

GPA 3.4
science GPA ~ 3.5
MCAT 27N

GPA trend
freshman yr - 3.25, 2.94
soph yr - 2.83, 3.57
jr year - 3.7, 3.53
sr yr - 3.75, 3.75

So far waitlisted at EVMS and accepted into BU MAMS. I'm taking the summer off to just study for the MCAT (no full time job like last time). I'm having second thoughts about graduate school in general :[ Right now my focus is going to be just on MCATs...but I'm still just not sure what to do in general. I have Georgetown, UC, Drexel, and Loyola-Chicago left to hear from. The only two schools I know I'd go for sure is UC and EVMS because of the extremely small class size. I'm kind of worried about competition and just finishing in the middle of the pack when I'm surrounded by 150 other brilliant people :|
Im confused about what question you are asking :confused:

I've got a question. How does an SMP work in terms of applying to Medical school? Do you have to finish the SMP and than Apply or can you apply right after you get an SMP acceptance?
I am a big proponent of applying before you matriculate into the SMP and then submit grades as you get them and updating med schools. Applying afterwards has its perks, namely you have a stronger application and you save money (because you run the risk of reapplying if you apply without your full set of grades). However, as many doctors will tell you, you run the risk of starting med school later, and you lose out on an extra year or two of potential income as an attending (which could be on the order of 80-200K). And you do have a chance of getting in, as I did, early on, so if you play your cards right before you start your SMP it may work in your favor.