***The Official Harvard Dental Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

"Dear Mr. Me,

We are in receipt of your application to the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 2016 entering class. Welcome! Here is an update on the status of your application:

Letters of recommendation received: 1 letter (committee)
Official DAT received: Yes
HSDM App fee: Yes"

Is this what you guys are considering the application complete email or should I expect a different one that specifically says my application is complete? I got this email August 12th.

Members don't see this ad.

"Dear Mr. Me,

We are in receipt of your application to the Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 2016 entering class. Welcome! Here is an update on the status of your application:

Letters of recommendation received: 1 letter (committee)
Official DAT received: Yes
HSDM App fee: Yes"

Is this what you guys are considering the application complete email or should I expect a different one that specifically says my application is complete? I got this email August 12th.

I got a different email that was more in depth giving a timeline of dates like interviews acceptances and deposit deadlines. The email started saying my application is complete and under review.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I got that email right after I posted that haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing aside from application complete and under review. Any updates, i know they start in late september with interviews so they should be letting people know soon.

Still nothing aside from application complete and under review. Any updates, i know they start in late september with interviews so they should be letting people know soon.

That's what i'm thinking. Last year they gave out notices on 9/19 which was a Friday. I'm suspecting news will be let out either on 9/18 or 9/25 this year.

I got an interview invite today. Details are in the general interview/acceptance thread.

Reactions: 5 users
The status of my application on AADSAS changed from Received/Under Review to Received/Waiting Additional Information. However, I didn't receive any email or calls from them. Do you guys know what this is about?

Really hoping for a supplementary app/invitation.. :angelic:

Reactions: 1 user
The status of my application on AADSAS changed from Received/Under Review to Received/Waiting Additional Information. However, I didn't receive any email or calls from them. Do you guys know what this is about?

Really hoping for a supplementary app/invitation.. :angelic:
Sounds very promising!

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't received anything from them. I called the admissions, but no one picked up. I don't want to come across as impatient, but I just really want to know what this is all about lol

I still haven't received anything from them. I called the admissions, but no one picked up. I don't want to come across as impatient, but I just really want to know what this is all about lol

Mine also switched to this. Let me know if you have any updates.

Has everyone's changed to 'waiting additional information'?

What's in the supplemental?

edit: still under review

Last edited:
Mine is still listed as Under Review.

And the supplemental is only given to those with interviews

What if this change in status is just some technical error lol

What if this change in status is just some technical error lol

I was under the impression that Harvard said somewhere that they don't use AADSAS for updating anything

I was under the impression that Harvard said somewhere that they don't use AADSAS for updating anything
Me too, but apparently they're using it this year lol. I guess we just have to wait and see!

Just got an interview! So I posted on the main thread- but they are offering interviews for Thursdays/Fridays in October starting October 2nd. I booked my interview for October 8th. Super excited to go to Boston (one of my closest friends is getting her PhD there and I can't wait to visit her/check out the school!).

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview! So I posted on the main thread- but they are offering interviews for Thursdays/Fridays in October starting October 2nd. I booked my interview for October 8th. Super excited to go to Boston (one of my closest friends is getting her PhD there and I can't wait to visit her/check out the school!).
And my AADSAS portal was updated to invited for interview. Before that it said received/under review. Best of luck to everyone else!

Will you please post a link to the thread you're referring to? Can't seem to find it.

Will you please post a link to the thread you're referring to? Can't seem to find it.
nterview #7
School: Harvard
Notification date: 9/23
Method of notification: phone call (then email to confirm)
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/25
Application complete date: 6/03
GPA (science, overall): 4.06/4.04
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/28/21/22
Interview Date: October 8th
***They are offering interviews on Thursdays/Fridays in October starting October 2nd. Also they'll email you the supplemental once you get confirmed for an interview. They also request high school transcripts.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! I received an interview for October 9th on 9/16. I was just curious if anyone knew how many people are at each day of interviews?

We're excited to meet all of you here at Harvard. I just wanted to calm any anxieties that may be out there. The interview is relaxed. It's a chance for the interviewers to know you AS A PERSON and for you to get to know the school. Interview groups are small - only a handful or less typically at a time, so you really get a feel for everyone at the school. If you don't interview until February, don't worry. You very well may be the one who gets in! It happened for a number of students here! Everyone here is amazing! I am constantly inspired by my peers. More importantly, everyone here is incredibly genuine and kind. So, if there's something you want to know, just ask. No one will bite! (And the students don't relay information about you to the administration, so don't be afraid to ask your actual questions on the tour.) Oh, and if you want to see something on the tour, also let us know. We are making it up as we go along, so we would be incredibly grateful for the guidance as well ;). Take a deep breath and enjoy the application process!

Reactions: 6 users
Just received an interview and scheduled it on Nov 12th!!!

We're excited to meet all of you here at Harvard. I just wanted to calm any anxieties that may be out there. The interview is relaxed. It's a chance for the interviewers to know you AS A PERSON and for you to get to know the school. Interview groups are small - only a handful or less typically at a time, so you really get a feel for everyone at the school. If you don't interview until February, don't worry. You very well may be the one who gets in! It happened for a number of students here! Everyone here is amazing! I am constantly inspired by my peers. More importantly, everyone here is incredibly genuine and kind. So, if there's something you want to know, just ask. No one will bite! (And the students don't relay information about you to the administration, so don't be afraid to ask your actual questions on the tour.) Oh, and if you want to see something on the tour, also let us know. We are making it up as we go along, so we would be incredibly grateful for the guidance as well ;). Take a deep breath and enjoy the application process!
Hi there---for those of us in the midst of the interview process, can you tell us a little about your experience interviewing at different places and what it was about Harvard that brought you there? I know the cost/benefit of prestigious schools is often argued on these boards, but rather than argue hypotheticals I'd love to just hear your experience.

(I ask as someone whose application check was deposited a few days ago... yesterday I missed a call from Cambridge, MA... so these thoughts are really starting to run through my head.)

One of your fellow applicants asked some questions about why I chose Harvard, so I am going to share my answer to him as "public property" in response to your request, akog. (Sharing resources and collaborating is something we do a lot of at Harvard, by the way!) I am going to only copy/paste my reply, though the questions are probably self-evident in my answers:

Congrats on the interview invitation! That's a great accomplishment!

I'll answer your questions as a list to keep things simple:

(1) Harvard's program is truly unique in that it provides the best medical education possible while also providing a solid dental foundation. The new curriculum, though still under construction, creates an active learning environment and the students are both phenomenally genuine and invested. All of the professors are looking out for you, no student struggles in search of dental patients, and everyone is genuinely happy. Every school had something wonderful about it, but the family atmosphere at Harvard and the true dedication to the students made this program stand out for me. I would treat the interview like a "first date." You need to feel the right connection to the school, its culture, its students, and the environment. That feel will be different for everyone, but you will know it when you experience it.

(2) We are the first year with the new curriculum, and, though we have had struggles, the faculty have listened to us every step of the way. They are truly responsive to and caring towards the students, valuing our education and well-being above all else. I have never felt as though I had so many people so fully invested in my success as I do at Harvard.

(3) The faculty are very approachable. They are intelligent, inspiring, and amazing, but very down-to-earth. You run into the dean in the cafeteria, have afternoon tea with faculty at the dental school, and spend all morning in class with wonderful researchers and physicians.

(4) The upperclassmen say there is no problem obtaining patients. They only see pediatric patients every other Wednesday (unless on their peds rotation), but they are not fighting for patients. The new curriculum allows us to enter the clinic every other Wednesday in the first year. The second year curriculum is still TBD. We also meet with hospital patients with the medical school. 3rd and 4th year are largely spent in the dental clinic, moving you quickly from simulation to actual patient care. If you want to assist faculty, you can do so from day 1.

(5) I find it important to keep an open mind as I progress through dental school. Most students here do specialize, and they find that they can focus on their specialty of interest in the clinic without facing repercussions for lacking in other departments. The school works with you to meet your needs/interests. Students also graduate and practice general dentistry, so everything is a possibility.

(6) Boston is a fun, young city. Longwood itself is a sterile medical environment. We are close to Fenway, though, which offers some nightlife, and we are only a short trip to downtown. I personally take the free shuttle to Cambridge a lot. A lot of my classmates are active hikers/climbers and use long weekends to get into the mountains or explore other outdoors activities. We did some rowing on the Charles, a class cruise on the Harbor, and a trip to an apple orchard. There's a lot to enjoy if you get out of the Longwood area, and there are many kind people all around. For someone who hasn't lived on the East Coast before, Boston is a very manageable city with a lot to offer.

As for the interview, just enjoy, relax, and be yourself. Everyone at Harvard is smart. You have the grades, the scores, and the recommendations to get an interview. What they want to know now is if you are a personable, empathetic individual. I am amazed at the class they created simply because EVERYONE is so compassionate and caring, and I think the interview is where they narrowed down the pool to this articulate, generous group. Again, so many people have these qualities, so it's a matter of taking a deep breath and being yourself. Some questions they asked were about research experience, something I am most proud of, why I think Harvard is the right fit for me, how I manage stress, and, of course, why dentistry. The questions I had for them, though, definitely outnumbered the questions they asked me, so the interview really was a conversation.

Good luck with your application process. There are so many deserving applicants, so just getting an interview is a wonderful accomplishment and, no matter what, you will end up at the right place for you.

(And, if you can, stay with a host at Vandy. It gives you the full 1st year experience since most [though not all] of us do live in the dorms.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know what my chances are with a 3.9 GPA and 21 DAT. I have years of dental assisting experience as well as research. Is my DAT score too low for them to even consider an interview? Any thought would be appreciated.

Only one way to find out.

Only one way to find out.
Agreed! I had the impression that they really look at an applicants entire application. A strong DAT/GPA helps, but I doubt they would reject on anything below their averages. If you have other great qualities (such as community service, strong letters, research, etc.) I think you would have a chance. Also average includes both higher and lower scores. However, we're all predentals speculating and not admissions people- so take what everyone tells you with a grain of salt. Good luck :)

Agreed! I had the impression that they really look at an applicants entire application. A strong DAT/GPA helps, but I doubt they would reject on anything below their averages. If you have other great qualities (such as community service, strong letters, research, etc.) I think you would have a chance. Also average includes both higher and lower scores. However, we're all predentals speculating and not admissions people- so take what everyone tells you with a grain of salt. Good luck :)
T

Last edited:
They really do look at applications IN FULL. If you feel it's a good fit, give it a shot.

has anyone heard anything recently?

has anyone heard anything recently?
Crickets. They start sending rejections out in November, sooo... fingers crossed that I don't see a small letter from Harvard in the mail!

Crickets. They start sending rejections out in November, sooo... fingers crossed that I don't see a small letter from Harvard in the mail!
Do they mail out their rejections? Or by e-mail?

Anticipation is killing me :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
So did no one that interviewed get a call today??

So did no one that interviewed get a call today??
I interviewed but I only got an email today saying they are still in the middle of making a decision. When did you interview?