The Official "How Does This Schedule Look" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ochem 1
Bio 2
Physics 2 Lab (3hrs)
Bio Lab (4hrs)
NeuroPsych

Seem bad at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Update as schedule got shifted around thanks to landing a summer program spot at HMS

Fall
- Bio II w/ Lab
- Immuno w/ Lab
- Neurobio
- Chem 2 w/ Lab

Really the only courses I can take as everything upper level requires chem II and I need to take courses within my major (fin aid reasons)

Summer:
Psych Stats: MTWRF 10-11:15
Behavior Modification MTWRF 11:45-1pm

I've never taken summer classes, so some insight there would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
My final schedule for sophomore Fall semester
Gen. Chem I w/ lab - 5 credits
Gen. Physics w/ lab - 4 credits
A&P I w/ lab - 4 credits
Cell bio - 3 credits
Research - 2 credits
total: 18

Around 10-15 hours a week of research and 5-10 hours volunteering. This will be my first really busy semester so I need to make sure I stay ahead of things :laugh:
Any advice on staying on schedule?

My final schedule for sophomore Fall semester
Gen. Chem I w/ lab - 5 credits
Gen. Physics w/ lab - 4 credits
A&P I w/ lab - 4 credits
Cell bio - 3 credits
Research - 2 credits
total: 18

Around 10-15 hours a week of research and 5-10 hours volunteering. This will be my first really busy semester so I need to make sure I stay ahead of things :laugh:
Any advice on staying on schedule?
Anatomy and Chem and Physics? You'll be in for a fun semester.
Summer:

Psych stats is a joke, not top sure about behavioral modification. Do a bit of reading into inferential statistics before you take the class and you'll be golden.

Psych stats is a joke, not top sure about behavioral modification. Do a bit of reading into inferential statistics before you take the class and you'll be golden.

I'm just looking forward to being able to really understand journal articles. :D Thanks for the heads up!

I'm just looking forward to being able to really understand journal articles. :D Thanks for the heads up!
You're already on the right track in that regards. Statistics is less about mathematics and more about language. Psych stats will really open your eyes to why this is.

Reactions: 1 user
Anatomy and Chem and Physics? You'll be in for a fun semester.
hahaha, yea i've heard it's a rough schedule! I talked to the A&P professor about what we cover and it's just going to be a big review class for me. Physics and chem however is a different story :scared:

hahaha, yea i've heard it's a rough schedule! I talked to the A&P professor about what we cover and it's just going to be a big review class for me. Physics and chem however is a different story :scared:
Honestly, unless absolutely necessary, taking all of that on top of cell bio is a really stupid idea. Assuming labs are included for cell bio, physics, and chem, expect your GPA to plummet. Anatomy alone is a great commitment, not even factoring in chem and bio and physics. I highly recommend switching out at least one of them.

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, unless absolutely necessary, taking all of that on top of cell bio is a really stupid idea. Assuming labs are included for cell bio, physics, and chem, expect your GPA to plummet. Anatomy alone is a great commitment, not even factoring in chem and bio and physics. I highly recommend switching out at least one of them.
Cell bio is without a lab and I have 2 years of experience with anatomy, but I understand what you're saying. It does seem like a lot of work. If you was me, which would you switch out of?

Cell bio is without a lab and I have 2 years of experience with anatomy, but I understand what you're saying. It does seem like a lot of work. If you was me, which would you switch out of?
Depends what year you are (and your proximity to the MCAT). If you aren't going to be taking the MCAT for a while, physics. If you are, anatomy (if you have greater experience, you could probably handle it during a summer session)

Depends what year you are (and your proximity to the MCAT). If you aren't going to be taking the MCAT for a while, physics. If you are, anatomy (if you have greater experience, you could probably handle it during a summer session)
I was think the same thing. The only problem is I would have to take Ochem, Physics, and biochem together and that seems like even more overkill. That's assuming I do the traditional route and take it in 2016. Darn the MCAT change :bang:There's too many prereq's at my school for the classes I need. Basically my choices are holding the mcat off until senior year or taking a lot of science classes every semester and hope my gpa doesn't drop.

I was think the same thing. The only problem is I would have to take Ochem, Physics, and biochem together and that seems like even more overkill. That's assuming I do the traditional route and take it in 2016. Darn the MCAT change :bang:There's too many prereq's at my school for the classes I need. Basically my choices are holding the mcat off until senior year or taking a lot of science classes every semester and hope my gpa doesn't drop.
In which case, perhaps you can summer sesh the physics? At my school, you typically need to take OChem I before you take Biochem. Are you sure you can take them as co-requisites? Other than the biochemistry, the new MCAT may play out rather favorably for those of us who are younger (not sure if you are, but if you are, you may have noticed your secondary schooling placing a greater emphasis on psych, I know mine did)

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer:

I took orgo 1 and bio 1 in the summer. On the one hand, I learned what material we did cover well (some had to be cut out due to time), since it was all I had to focus on. On the other, so much material was covered in such a short time I felt just as stressed as I did during the school year. Granted, I was young lumpyduster at the time and the amount of time I spend studying and worrying now is a lot less since I apparently have figured out how to work the system.

Summer 1
Orgo 2 + lab at one school (5 cr)
philosophy at another school (3 cr)

Fall 2014

1. Biochemistry (3cr) lec only
2. Biophysical Chemistry (4cr) Lec only
3. Calculus 1 (4cr)
4. Anthropology 126 (3cr)
5. Weather and Climate (4cr)

for total of 18 cr

I need to take orgo in summer otherwise i will lose a year bc Biochem is offered only during fall

with that being said i am trying to earn 45 credits during fall '14, winter, spring summer 1 2015 to get my bachelors in one year.... thats why i am taking all this classes So far i think i can do it, but i DO NEED UNBIASED OPINIONS!!!

help??

In which case, perhaps you can summer sesh the physics? At my school, you typically need to take OChem I before you take Biochem. Are you sure you can take them as co-requisites? Other than the biochemistry, the new MCAT may play out rather favorably for those of us who are younger (not sure if you are, but if you are, you may have noticed your secondary schooling placing a greater emphasis on psych, I know mine did)
I may have to do summer physics then. Also, my school's prereq for biochem is Ochem II as well, but the professors here said they'll allow us 2015 MCAT takers to take both Ochem and Biocchem at the same time. I guess I should have noticed the MCAT change my senior year of high school so I would have known to take Gen. Chem my freshman year :laugh:

I may have to do summer physics then. Also, my school's prereq for biochem is Ochem II as well, but the professors here said they'll allow us 2015 MCAT takers to take both Ochem and Biocchem at the same time. I guess I should have noticed the MCAT change my senior year of high school so I would have known to take Gen. Chem my freshman year :laugh:
At least you're proactive about it now. Best of luck!

Fall Semester

Biochem (3 credits)
Neurolab (4 credits)
Intro to Latin (3 credits)
Honors Intro Philosophy (3 credits)
Honors Kinesiology course (3 credits)
16 credits

Going to be a senior biochemistry major:

Microbiology + Lab (4 credits)
Research in Chemistry (3 credits - Essentially all I'll need to do is write a paper since I'll be doing the actual research over the summer)
Calculus with Applications (4 credits)
Bowling (1 credit)
Microcomputer Applications (3 credits - Easy A for sure)

Total: 15

Last edited:
Okay this is the best schedule I can figure out time-wise so I can keep my job for the next year haha

Fall 2014
Physics I (4)
Mammalian Physiology (4)
Neuropsych- culture based (3)
Genetics (4)
Bio Seminar (1)
Bio Research I (ind. study) (3)

Spring 2015
Neurobiology (4)
Bio Research II (ind. study) (3)
Gen Chem II (5)
Physics II (4)
*Microbiology (4)

Summer 2015
O. Chem I (5) 1st session
*O.Chem II in 2nd session?
Theology (3)

While I'm at it this is my hypothetical for senior year

Fall 2015
Neurodisorders (3)
Synaptic Transmission (3)
Senior Research Intensive (3)
BioChemistry (4)
Theology:Ethics (3)
Psych Research Methods (4)

Spring 2016
Developmental Neuro (3)
Sensory Systems (3)
Senior Seminar Bio (1)
Philosophy (3)
Psych Seminar (3)
*O. Chem II instead of summer?

*Maybe

Any feedback welcome!! thanks :)

Sorry guys. Just saw this and no one else provided anything.

Fall Semester

Biochem (3 credits)
Neurolab (4 credits)
Intro to Latin (3 credits)
Honors Intro Philosophy (3 credits)
Honors Kinesiology course (3 credits)
16 credits

Looks good.

Going to be a senior biochemistry major:

Microbiology + Lab (4 credits)
Research in Chemistry (3 credits - Essentially all I'll need to do is write a paper since I'll be doing the actual research over the summer)
Calculus with Applications (4 credits)
Bowling (1 credit)
Microcomputer Applications (3 credits - Easy A for sure)

Total: 15

Bowling is necessary? Nothing wrong with it, but just curious. Everything else looks good.

Hey, so not a lot of posts for me but thought I would get the ball rolling, actually I wanted some opinions on summer classes? Is that appropriate for this thread? I have a few options for my classes this next year, I could graduate in Dec. if I take the summer classes, also taking a Jan. 2015 MCAT as my fall schedule would be very light. Here are my options and my question is: do summer session classes look bad enough that it justifies postponing my MCAT and graduation? Cause if they do I have no problem sucking it up and dealing with it. Anyways:

1. 2 bio classes, with same prof in same session during summer, and ochem 2 and 1 bio in fall with 2 gen eds (prof is fantastic, everyone wants to take her summer classes as she mainly teaches summer)
2. 1 bio class and ochem 2 during summer, different sessions, and 2 bio in fall with 2 gen eds (least favorite option, ochem 2 in summer = :hungover::( )
3. No pre reqs in summer, just gen ed, pre reqs in fall and still graduate but push back MCAT (also 3 bio and ochem 2... see above emojis!)
4. No summer, 2 pre reqs in fall, 1 bio and ochem 2, take MCAT in Jan 2015, push back graduation to spring 2015

I am leaning toward option 1, I really want to take the professor and also graduate so I can make actual money, but again, I can suck it up and deal. Applying 2015 cycle if it helps

Edit: The summer bio classes would not have labs if that helps

Nothing wrong with summer classes. The bolded looks like a good strategy, but it seems you're cramming in a lot of prereqs over the summer. Summer classes are good, so don't do #3 and #4. Since you hate #2, looks like #1 is the way to go and you can secure a good LOR!

Okay this is the best schedule I can figure out time-wise so I can keep my job for the next year haha

Fall 2014
Physics I (4)
Mammalian Physiology (4)
Neuropsych- culture based (3)
Genetics (4)
Bio Seminar (1)
Bio Research I (ind. study) (3)

Spring 2015
Neurobiology (4)
Bio Research II (ind. study) (3)
Gen Chem II (5)
Physics II (4)
*Microbiology (4)

Summer 2015
O. Chem I (5) 1st session
*O.Chem II in 2nd session?
Theology (3)

While I'm at it this is my hypothetical for senior year

Fall 2015
Neurodisorders (3)
Synaptic Transmission (3)
BioChemistry (4)
Theology:Ethics (3)
Psych Research Methods (4)

Spring 2016
Developmental Neuro (3)
Sensory Systems (3)
Senior Seminar Bio (1)
Philosophy (3)
Psych Seminar (3)
*O. Chem II instead of summer?

*Maybe

Any feedback welcome!! thanks :)

... out of curiosity, did you just postpone all the prereqs and major requirements to your junior and senior years? What exactly did you do in the first two years? It seems like your overwhelming yourself in a lot of requirements (if these neuroscience classes are requirements -- if any of them are electives not required by your major, do not take them.)

I mean, I'd say your schedule is very doable if you put in a lot of effort, but it seems this could've been prevented had you planned your schedule out early (I'm just guessing, correct me otherwise).

I am a dual degree student in neuro and psych. Did my BS in psych first, Calc 1 &2, two semesters of statistics, bio I & II, gen chem I, advanced writing, foreign language, and all general ed reqs first and working 48hrs/week :). Knew I was taking a gap year from the go so no, I did not cram everything in the end, first two years were similarly full. Also will only be working 15-20 hrs next year and not at all senior year.

I am a dual degree student in neuro and psych. Did my BS in psych first, Calc 1 &2, two semesters of statistics, bio I & II, gen chem I, advanced writing, foreign language, and all general ed reqs first and working 48hrs/week :). Knew I was taking a gap year from the go so no, I did not cram everything in the end, first two years were similarly full. Also will only be working 15-20 hrs next year and not at all senior year.

I mean... I don't know, but is a dual degree really that necessary? Regardless, you seem to have the potential to do well, so I wouldn't expect your last two years to be particularly difficult

Fall of 2nd year:

Organic chem lab 2: 2 credits
Inorganic chem w/lab: 4 credits
Physical chem 1 w/o lab: 3 credits
Biochem 1 w/o lab: 3 credits
Cell Bio: 3 credits

15 credits total

I mean... I don't know, but is a dual degree really that necessary? Regardless, you seem to have the potential to do well, so I wouldn't expect your last two years to be particularly difficult

ehhh why not? Getting a random minor and courses in music/women's studies/fillers didn't seem necessary to me either. lol

I'm considering MD/PhD so maybe I seek the unnecessary…or at least some see it that way ;)

I'll be a senior (credit-wise) Medicinal Chemistry major next semester (Fall). Taking a gap year(s) which means 2015+ MCAT so that's why psych 101 is there.

General Biochemistry (3 hrs)
Biophysical Chemistry (3 hrs)
Advanced Organic Chemistry (3 hrs)
Chemistry & Society [online] (3 hrs)
Introduction to Psychology [online] (3 hrs)

No labs. First three are 400 level courses, last two are online 100 level, should be easy to get an A.

Is biochem, biophysical, and adv orgo too much at once? I got A's in all the med prereqs, including orgo 1/2. I don't know what to expect, especially from biophysical chemistry. I got a B in both the lecture and lab component of Elementary Physical Chemistry ("elementary," my ass).

Last edited:
I'll be a senior Medicinal Chemistry major next semester (Fall). Taking a gap year(s) which means 2015+ MCAT so that's why psych 101 is there.

General Biochemistry (3 hrs)
Biophysical Chemistry (3 hrs)
Advanced Organic Chemistry (3 hrs)
Chemistry & Society [online] (3 hrs)
Introduction to Psychology [online] (3 hrs)

No labs. First three are 400 level courses, last two are online 100 level, should be easy to get an A.

Is biochem, biophysical, and adv orgo too much at once? I got A's in all the med prereqs, including orgo 1/2. I don't know what to expect, especially from biophysical chemistry. I got a B in both the lecture and lab component of Elementary Physical Chemistry ("elementary," my ass).

No you're fine.

Fall: (16 hrs)
Biochem
Genetics
Stats
Research lab credit
Retaking Chem II lecture only.

-Study for MCAT on the side.

Doable?

Currently considering this schedule:

General Chem I w/ Lab
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology w/ Lab
Statistics for Biologists
Intro Chinese III

Extremely concerned of this schedule because of the difficulty + the insane competition here. I might have to take Molecular Bio over the summer at a cheaper institution (a summer class at my current school is over 3K per credit.......) but I'm worried that taking a summer class at a lower-ranked university would look bad since I attend a top 10 :/

General biochem 4
Analytical chem lecture 3
Analytical chem lab 1
Sociology 3

This - Research at school 3
Or- easy university required course 3

Total = 14cred

*have finished my pre-med courses
*went max cred first 4semesters
*going to study for MCAT, treat at 5cred class. Sn2.
*new school. Just transferred from 4year school. Shouldn't be too diff.

Fall: (16 hrs)
Biochem
Genetics
Stats
Research lab credit
Retaking Chem II lecture only.

-Study for MCAT on the side.

Doable?

I think it depends how you long you plan to study. The courses are definitely doable without the MCAT, and they will all be helpful for BS studying except stats. Let's say you're taking the January test - I think you can pace yourself with content review for 3-4 months, then take 2-3 weeks at the end of December to do some heavy practice testing. I would suggest starting to study early to get a feel for the time commitment before you immerse yourself in classes.

Currently considering this schedule:

General Chem I w/ Lab
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology w/ Lab
Statistics for Biologists
Intro Chinese III

Extremely concerned of this schedule because of the difficulty + the insane competition here. I might have to take Molecular Bio over the summer at a cheaper institution (a summer class at my current school is over 3K per credit.......) but I'm worried that taking a summer class at a lower-ranked university would look bad since I attend a top 10 :/

I don't know anything about how you study or how heavy of a class load you've taken in the past, but if I were in your position, I'd take out one of the molec biologies, maybe the neurobiology with lab. Consider the possibilities if the it ends up being too much - GPA suffers and it looks like poor choice making, or you withdraw. Though from my experience, when a schedule was too packed, if one class was going down the others were likely to sink with it.

If you're a bio major and this class is a requisite, it might look bad to take it elsewhere over summer. If just a general interest course, should be OK.

Fall of 2nd year:

Organic chem lab 2: 2 credits
Inorganic chem w/lab: 4 credits
Physical chem 1 w/o lab: 3 credits
Biochem 1 w/o lab: 3 credits
Cell Bio: 3 credits

15 credits total

I've already taken all of these classes. That looks like a really tough semester to me! Pretty much all of those classes require a good chunk of time. Are you doing anything else that semester (volunteering, working, research, etc)?

I've already taken all of these classes. That looks like a really tough semester to me! Pretty much all of those classes require a good chunk of time. Are you doing anything else that semester (volunteering, working, research, etc)?
I agree. I'm taking behav.neuroscience, physics and biochem while studying for my MCAT, and with my other ecs, I'm usually drained out...

After checking out this thread I'm kinda shocked by the lack of humanities that most of you guys take. Jeez

Hospital volunteering, boys and girls club counselor, and research in an electrochem lab: ~20 hours/week total. Is there any class in particular you think I should pass on to ease up my schedule?

After checking out this thread I'm kinda shocked by the lack of humanities that most of you guys take. Jeez
Yeah, I guess some schools are diff. My school req two semester of a humanities/arts/performance, 2 semesters of a histories/societies/cultures class, and three semesters of an English/writing intensive course, but I got thru most of those already. I like balancing my science load, but I was unable to do that this semester.

Hospital volunteering, boys and girls club counselor, and research in an electrochem lab: ~20 hours/week total. Is there any class in particular you think I should pass on to ease up my schedule?
You can always take cell bio later on...but biochem can be pretty intense; I'm taking it right now. If you can, drop PCHEM or OCHEM....usually you have to take gen chem (I'm assuming this is inorganic, correct me if I'm wrong) before you take PCHEM and then ochem before pchem ...I guess it's diff for some schools. If you can take PCHEM or OChem your junior year and fill it with a lighter course, maybe a humanities, that might help. If you can stick with inorganic and cell bio...and take other general requirements that would be good. If I had to pick the max, I would go with inorganic, cell bio..b/c taking on OCHEM will be very time consuming...just my opinion. Taking only sciences and can't wait until the semester is over.

Since you are doing all of that as well, you definitely don't want to take all those classes at the same time. Cell bio is going to be your easiest class so maybe keep that one. I didn't find Biochem too difficult but it did require a lot of memorization and obviously a good amount of effort.

Orgo and Pchem are going to be your hardest two. I'd say skip Pchem for now. Orgo will be difficult enough for you. Focus on that. Isn't orgo 2 a prerequisite for Biochem? I guess you don't really need the info for it but I thought it was. Anyway, skip Pchem and maybe inorganic. I hated my inorganic class but I also had a bad professor. Ask some students at your school who have taken it how it is.

Good luck!

You can always take cell bio later on...but biochem can be pretty intense; I'm taking it right now. If you can, drop PCHEM or OCHEM....usually you have to take gen chem (I'm assuming this is inorganic, correct me if I'm wrong) before you take PCHEM and then ochem before pchem ...I guess it's diff for some schools. If you can take PCHEM or OChem your junior year and fill it with a lighter course, maybe a humanities, that might help. If you can stick with inorganic and cell bio...and take other general requirements that would be good. If I had to pick the max, I would go with inorganic, cell bio..b/c taking on OCHEM will be very time consuming...just my opinion. Taking only sciences and can't wait until the semester is over.

No, gen chem and inorganic are not the same thing. Gen chem 1 and 2 are 100 level classes and inorganic is a 300 level class (at my school).

Yeah, I guess some schools are diff. My school req two semester of a humanities/arts/performance, 2 semesters of a histories/societies/cultures class, and three semesters of an English/writing intensive course, but I got thru most of those already. I like balancing my science load, but I was unable to do that this semester.

I was an English major. I just think it's funny seeing these schedules as they are so different than what mine were

Fall 2014:

OChem Lab 4cr
Ochem 2 3cr
Physiology 3cr
Biochem 3cr--on waitlist

The ochem lab is extremely time consuming which sucks. I was considering biochem but it's full, I'm on waitlist--I guess I could take it in the spring. I guess I could take genetics, or should I take a lib ed? Or should I take a random class like Public speaking 3 credits which I could use, public speaking skills are pretty poor.

biochem - 4cred
analytical chem - 4cred
analytical chem lab -1 cred
sociology - 3cred
gen ed - 3cred

15cred
taking it easy for now. going to study hard and aim for Jan 2015 test day (MCAT 2014)

biochem - 4cred
analytical chem - 4cred
analytical chem lab -1 cred
sociology - 3cred
gen ed - 3cred

15cred
taking it easy for now. going to study hard and aim for Jan 2015 test day (MCAT 2014)

I think this is very doable.

No, gen chem and inorganic are not the same thing. Gen chem 1 and 2 are 100 level classes and inorganic is a 300 level class (at my school).
Ahh, I see. Gotcha. Well, good luck with what ever you do.

Fall 2014:

OChem Lab 4cr
Ochem 2 3cr
Physiology 3cr
Biochem 3cr--on waitlist

The ochem lab is extremely time consuming which sucks. I was considering biochem but it's full, I'm on waitlist--I guess I could take it in the spring. I guess I could take genetics, or should I take a lib ed? Or should I take a random class like Public speaking 3 credits which I could use, public speaking skills are pretty poor.
If you don't get into biochem, I'd def. Go with any non science course. It's nice have a little diversity. If you want to take Public Speaking, def. Take it. I'm taking Spanish next year even though I've already taken French just b/c.

I think it depends how you long you plan to study. The courses are definitely doable without the MCAT, and they will all be helpful for BS studying except stats. Let's say you're taking the January test - I think you can pace yourself with content review for 3-4 months, then take 2-3 weeks at the end of December to do some heavy practice testing. I would suggest starting to study early to get a feel for the time commitment before you immerse yourself in classes.
Thank you! That helped a lot. The courses should help as well with studying for much of the material.