The Official "How Does This Schedule Look" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, I decided to make a small change to my fall schedule.

Survey of Biological Science- 4 credits
Intro to chem- 4 credits
College Algebra- 3 credits
Intro to Sociology- 3 credits
English Comp II- 3 credits
Music Appreciation- 3 credits

Total- 20 credits

I will also be working about 15-20 hours a week and I am a part of Phi Theta Kappa and will be doing community service.

Does this sound manageable? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Neurobio with lab
Molecular bio with lab
Writing English comp class
Human anatomy with lab

Vs

Neurobio
Intro mobio/biochem(easier for non science major no lab)
Chemistry with aids (easy GE)

Which do you recommend course plan 1 or 2?

Only reason im considering 1 is due to it being more rigorous but I need a science boost

Okay, I decided to make a small change to my fall schedule.

Survey of Biological Science- 4 credits
Intro to chem- 4 credits
College Algebra- 3 credits
Intro to Sociology- 3 credits
English Comp II- 3 credits
Music Appreciation- 3 credits

Total- 20 credits

I will also be working about 15-20 hours a week and I am a part of Phi Theta Kappa and will be doing community service.

Does this sound manageable? Thanks.
Doable. Actually nicely balanced.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neurobio with lab
Molecular bio with lab
Human anatomy with lab

Vs

Neurobio
Intro mobio/biochem(easier for non science major no lab)
Chemistry with aids (easy GE)

Which do you recommend course plan 1 or 2?

Only reason im considering 1 is due to it being more rigorous but I need a science boost
Looks like lots of labs vs an easier non science load. I would go with option 1 and do well.

How is this schedule while starting to study for the new mcat in the fall with volunteering and some other extracurriculars:

Physics 1 w/ lab (4)
Cell bio (3)
Brain and behavior (3)
Abnormal psych (3)

Total: 13 credit hours

Is this fine? Opinions? Thanks!

How is this schedule while starting to study for the new mcat in the fall with volunteering and some other extracurriculars:

Physics 1 w/ lab (4)
Cell bio (3)
Brain and behavior (3)
Abnormal psych (3)

Total: 13 credit hours

Is this fine? Opinions? Thanks!

That sounds like such an interesting semester! It looks do-able, especially because you only have one lab to worry about.

That sounds like such an interesting semester! It looks do-able, especially because you only have one lab to worry about.

Yup I am looking forward to the classes. I am planning to start mcat studying for the new mcat in fall and study til I take it in April or around there so I'm giving myself plenty of time.

Thanks for your input btw! Much appreciated!

I'm exploring this schedule...deciding whether or not to have the stats class

Microbiology (4)
Genetics (4)
Intro French I (5)
Molecular Biochem (3)
Ochem 1 Lab (1)
Stats (3)

That's 20 hrs with stats...I'd also be shadowing 2-3 hours during school week, 10 hrs a week as an SI leader, and 4 hours volunteer on Saturdays.

Is that too much w/ stats?

Thinking about taking this schedule next semester...is this too much with volunteering and community service?

Molecular Biology and Genetics (4)
Organic Chem 1 (3)
Analytical Chem (3)
Calculus 2 (3)
Sociology (3)

I'm exploring this schedule...deciding whether or not to have the stats class

Microbiology (4)
Genetics (4)
Intro French I (5)
Molecular Biochem (3)
Ochem 1 Lab (1)
Stats (3)

That's 20 hrs with stats...I'd also be shadowing 2-3 hours during school week, 10 hrs a week as an SI leader, and 4 hours volunteer on Saturdays.

Is that too much w/ stats?

Stats is typically a joke in most cases (unless you're going for calc-based stats or some advanced stat applications). Rest all, I don't see any issues in your schedule and it's definitely doable with your ECs.

Thinking about taking this schedule next semester...is this too much with volunteering and community service?
Molecular Biology and Genetics (4)
Organic Chem 1 (3)
Analytical Chem (3)
Calculus 2 (3)
Sociology (3)

Analytical chem is the only challenge here (though so can probably mol bio/genetics). It's tricky but I anticipate you're used to it by now, so it isn't difficult with your light ECs.

Stats is typically a joke in most cases (unless you're going for calc-based stats or some advanced stat applications). Rest all, I don't see any issues in your schedule and it's definitely doable with your ECs.

Analytical chem is the only challenge here (though so can probably mol bio/genetics). It's tricky but I anticipate you're used to it by now, so it isn't difficult with your light ECs.
Thanks! Stats is a joke here too. Genetics and Micro are supposed to be fairly "easy" as well.

What do you guys think?

Intro to Chemical Engineering Analysis (Very Hard)
Intro to Computing (Easy)
Biostatistics (Easy/Med)
Genetics (Med/Hard)
Renaissance History (Easy)
OChem I Lab (Med/Hard)
PChem I Lab (Med)

16 Credit Hours

What do you guys think?

Intro to Chemical Engineering Analysis (Very Hard)
Intro to Computing (Easy)
Biostatistics (Easy/Med)
Genetics (Med/Hard)
Renaissance History (Easy)
OChem I Lab (Med/Hard)
PChem I Lab (Med)

16 Credit Hours

The only useless classes in your schedule are genetics, biostats and renaissance history. Or you could get rid of intro to computing and add a challenge course. As it is, your schedule is doable, but there's so much fluff, it's best to remove them.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think about this semester's schedule?

Genetics
Organic Chem I
Physics 2
Physics Lab
Marketing class

upload_2014-7-18_16-7-10.png

Fall 2014:

OChem Lab 4cr
Ochem 2 3cr
Physiology 3cr
Biochem 3cr--on waitlist

The ochem lab is extremely time consuming which sucks. I was considering biochem but it's full, I'm on waitlist--I guess I could take it in the spring. I guess I could take genetics, or should I take a lib ed? Or should I take a random class like Public speaking 3 credits which I could use, public speaking skills are pretty poor.
Although I hated public speaking (the course material, boring lectures) I learned a lot about how I speak in front of others, and I am more comfortable speaking in front of an audience now.
I recommend public speaking. Especially if the professor records it, you will be able to pick out 'tics' you may have while speaking and learn to fix them! I sway side to side when I get nervous :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
OChem II (4 credits) - Not too difficult if I pay attention and do practice problems, similar to OChem I with new topics.
OChem lab (2 credits) - Got to make sure I write every single thing down that I do in lab. No lab reports, no exams, just end of the lab, 3 question short answer type stuff about what I did/understanding concepts. Should be an easy A as long as I write down everything preformed in lab.
Bio II (3 credits) - Tricky exams that ask particular points, supposed to be extremely difficult if you don't pay attention/study efficiently. Probably gonna get an A-.
Bio I lab (2 credits) - Lab reports with terrible TAs who don't grade fairly. Supposed to be extremely unorganized with only 10% of the 20 student class, aka 2 people, receiving As. Next 20-30% receive A-s, and so forth. One of two classes that I think I'll get an A- in.
Physics II (3 credits) - Electricity, but my dad was an EE in college, doing computer engineering work right now, and explained concepts rather well to be as I went through the textbook. Not a difficult class if I do the practice problems, homework, etc. Should be a fairly easy A because the professor is decent.
Physics II lab (1 credit) - Similar to the lecture class, supposed to be easy-ish. Just do the lab, fill out the data sheet, hand it in. Should be a rather easy A.
Intro to Econ (4 credits) - Not sure what to think of this class. Haven't heard much good or bad for this class. Fourth of my six total classes that I'll be taking in my college career with recitations. The first two, Gen Chem II and OChem I, I've spent countless hours studying for, which I presume will be the same for OChem II. But I'm not sure what to think of Intro to Econ. It's for my second major as well.
Research (3 credits) - Should be something like 10 hours or so per week, not too sure about number of hours.

22 credits total

Last edited:
OChem II (4 credits) - Not too difficult if I pay attention and do practice problems, similar to OChem I with new topics.
OChem lab (2 credits) - Got to make sure I write every single thing down that I do in lab. No lab reports, no exams, just end of the lab, 3 question short answer type stuff about what I did/understanding concepts. Should be an easy A as long as I write down everything preformed in lab.
Bio II (3 credits) - Tricky exams that ask particular points, supposed to be extremely difficult if you don't pay attention/study efficiently. Probably gonna get an A-.
Bio I lab (2 credits) - Lab reports with terrible TAs who don't grade fairly. Supposed to be extremely unorganized with only 10% of the 20 student class, aka 2 people, receiving As. Next 20-30% receive A-s, and so forth. One of two classes that I think I'll get an A- in.
Physics II (3 credits) - Electricity, but my dad was an EE in college, doing computer engineering work right now, and explained concepts rather well to be as I went through the textbook. Not a difficult class if I do the practice problems, homework, etc. Should be a fairly easy A because the professor is decent.
Physics II lab (1 credit) - Similar to the lecture class, supposed to be easy-ish. Just do the lab, fill out the data sheet, hand it in. Should be a rather easy A.
Intro to Econ (4 credits) - Not sure what to think of this class. Haven't heard much good or bad for this class. Fourth of my six total classes that I'll be taking in my college career with recitations. The first two, Gen Chem II and OChem I, I've spent countless hours studying for, which I presume will be the same for OChem II. But I'm not sure what to think of Intro to Econ. It's for my second major as well.
Research (3 credits) - Should be something like 10 hours or so per week, not too sure about number of hours.

22 credits total

Currently 3.73 GPA. No ECs other than research. I've finished shadowing, ~100 hours, and I will finish a lot of non-clinical volunteering, ~150-200 hours, this summer. Clinical volunteering I'm planning on in the spring, and I'm doing research now. I co-founded a club, for a year, which I am no longer a part of. I also am part of the honors program in my school.

Get rid of econ and you're fine.

Biochem--3 credtis (hard)
Orgo II--3 credits (med/hard)
Calc based Physics 1--5 credits (hard)
Physics Lab --1 credit (med)
Social Psych--3 credits (easy)
Research Study--3 credits (fun, but time consuming)
*debating adding this*History of Medicine--3 credits (easy/med but very interesting)

Total: 18-21
Going into Junior year I have A LOT of long term EC's going on too, and I know this semester is going to be hard. I really want to take the History of Medicine class (just sounds interesting and fun), but idk if I can handle it all. Also, I'm planning on the 2015 MCAT in the summer, so I'll start prep next semester and take a lighter load.

Any advice/feedback?

Fall:
Microbiology
Organic Chem 1
Biochemistry
Honors Biochem Seminar
Physics 2
Physics 2 Lab
Environmental Science

Total: 18 credits

Volunteer 4 hours weekly
Shadowing 2 hours weekly

Full time mom :)

Fall
Bio I w/lab
Phy I w/lab
Che II w/lab
Intro to Psych

Spring
Microbiology
Genetics
Zoology
Phy II

Also, volunteering, have an infant, and looking in to maybe the work study program on campus.

A bit nervous about this semester. I took 3 English courses, 2 math, comp sci, history, and chem last year. Very poor planning on my part... Anyway, I can't take the spring semester without taking the fall classes first.

This is a good time to focus on your ECs since this schedule is very doable.

EST? Looks like a pretty light schedule all-around so it's better to focus on your ECs.
EST?? What is that? I would rather not overload myself and tank my GPA further. I may be wrong in that thinking but I find it easier to focus on grades this way.
What would you do differently if you were me?

EST?? What is that? I would rather not overload myself and tank my GPA further. I may be wrong in that thinking but I find it easier to focus on grades this way.
What would you do differently if you were me?

EST is a time zone. Derp.

I'd broaden your scope and take classes of interest outside of biology.

Fall:

Physics 1 w/ lab
Cell bio
Abnormal psych
Brain and behavior

Research
Shadowing 4 hrs per week
Volunteering 4 hrs per week
Mcat studying for 2015 mcat
Other EC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fall semester for my first of 2 senior years:

Endocrinology - 3 credits
Psychology and Sport - 3 credits
Physics w/ lab - 5 credits
Ochem - 3 credits

14 total credits

Also hoping to TA for anatomy and tutor a couple classes as well.

Hey guys, is biostatistics really, really helpful for MCAT? My engineering curriculum requires a 2 credit hour Applied Statistics for Engineers course. Is it better to save time and only take the engineers statistics rather than both? I thought that since the MCAT will contain a lot of biological data, a biostats course would be invaluable, but is this incorrect?

Last edited:
Fall:
Brain and Behavior (3 cr.)
Biochemistry I (3 cr.)
Intro to Neuroscience (3 cr.)
French 1 (6 cr.)
History 101 (3 cr.)

Only concerned about the B&B and Neuro classes. B&B is equated to Ochem in the psychology department. Intro to Neuro's professor teaches very basic stuff but couples it with a bunch of article summaries and a presentation as a final. French will just be busy work due to the fact that I've taken 4 years of it in High school (albeit that was 2 years ago).

Fall:
Brain and Behavior (3 cr.)
Biochemistry I (3 cr.)
Intro to Neuroscience (3 cr.)
French 1 (6 cr.)
History 101 (3 cr.)

Only concerned about the B&B and Neuro classes. B&B is equated to Ochem in the psychology department. Intro to Neuro's professor teaches very basic stuff but couples it with a bunch of article summaries and a presentation as a final. French will just be busy work due to the fact that I've taken 4 years of it in High school (albeit that was 2 years ago).

Personally, even though your courses are challenging, I think you will be fine because your schedule is so balanced between easy vs difficult courses and technical vs. humanities courses.

Trying to figure out how to spread my Junior year classes so that I can get most of my sciences in before I apply. I will be taking the MCAT 2015 in the spring. As of right now I have the following:

Fall
Microbio w/ lab (generally easy, lectures are in class and online)
Physics 1 w/ lab (I hate math and have never really taken a physics class)
Biochem (One of the most difficult classes at my school, I love orgo though)
Psych Class (for my major)

16 credits

Spring
Physics 2 w/ lab
Genetics
Gen ed
Psych class

14 credits

All my advisors are telling me I should hold off on Microbio and just take it in the spring with Physics and wait to take Genetics senior year. I will be shadowing, doing research, volunteering in various places, and hopefully going on a mission trip in the fall. I plan on quitting my part-time job that I've had for a year now to start preparing for the MCAT.

Would any of you suggest what my advisor suggested or keep what I have now? Thanks!

Trying to figure out how to spread my Junior year classes so that I can get most of my sciences in before I apply. I will be taking the MCAT 2015 in the spring. As of right now I have the following:

Fall
Microbio w/ lab (generally easy, lectures are in class and online)
Physics 1 w/ lab (I hate math and have never really taken a physics class)
Biochem (One of the most difficult classes at my school, I love orgo though)
Psych Class (for my major)

16 credits

Spring
Physics 2 w/ lab
Genetics
Gen ed
Psych class

14 credits

All my advisors are telling me I should hold off on Microbio and just take it in the spring with Physics and wait to take Genetics senior year. I will be shadowing, doing research, volunteering in various places, and hopefully going on a mission trip in the fall. I plan on quitting my part-time job that I've had for a year now to start preparing for the MCAT.

Would any of you suggest what my advisor suggested or keep what I have now? Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you--hated math and thought Physics would wreck my sGPA to bits, but I found out it wasn't as hard as I thought. Yes, new concepts, but it isn't any harder than college algebra (unless you're taking calculus-based physics, then good luck!) Do you go to a Liberal Arts school or do you only have to take your sciences at this point? Because if you were to drop Micro, I would think of adding another psych class or another humanities. I personally like your schedule. I'm getting a B.A. in Biochemistry with a minor in Neuroscience, so I have about 4 more semesters of chemistry to take with some psych, bio, and math classes thrown in there.

Biochemistry, at first, will be a continuation of Ochem (at least that's how we will transition), but it's a whole other ballgame. Yes, you'll need to know some organic like Nucleic Acid chemistry and polarity, but you'll be going way too far advanced to think about organic chemistry.

Fall:
Physics 1 w/ lab
Cell bio
Abnormal psych
Brain and behavior

Research
Shadowing 4 hrs per week
Other EC

You can even throw in an ethics, or some humanities class or anything that interests you if you want. Schedule seems very manageable and well structured. Good luck!
Fall:
Physics 1 w/ lab
Cell bio
Abnormal psych
Brain and behavior

Research
Shadowing 4 hrs per week
Other EC

I would just take what is required. Take the biostats course if you want to though. It will help with research, and will be very applicable in the long run. It is not required for the MCAT, but if could certainly help.
Hey guys, is biostatistics really, really helpful for MCAT? My engineering curriculum requires a 2 credit hour Applied Statistics for Engineers course. Is it better to save time and only take the engineers statistics rather than both? I thought that since the MCAT will contain a lot of biological data, a biostats course would be invaluable, but is this incorrect?

I was in the same boat as you--hated math and thought Physics would wreck my sGPA to bits, but I found out it wasn't as hard as I thought. Yes, new concepts, but it isn't any harder than college algebra (unless you're taking calculus-based physics, then good luck!) Do you go to a Liberal Arts school or do you only have to take your sciences at this point? Because if you were to drop Micro, I would think of adding another psych class or another humanities. I personally like your schedule. I'm getting a B.A. in Biochemistry with a minor in Neuroscience, so I have about 4 more semesters of chemistry to take with some psych, bio, and math classes thrown in there.

Biochemistry, at first, will be a continuation of Ochem (at least that's how we will transition), but it's a whole other ballgame. Yes, you'll need to know some organic like Nucleic Acid chemistry and polarity, but you'll be going way too far advanced to think about organic chemistry.

Thank you for your help! I only have to take a couple more gen eds and classes for my psych major. I could drop microbio and add another psych class or humanities, which is what all my advisors suggest I do. I guess I will wait and see for each class's syllabus to make sure all the tests don't all end up on the same week. I feel like I could definitely handle it but it definitely would not be my easiest semester.

Hi everyone, please help me!
Fall Sophomore Yr:

Gen Chem 2 + L
Bio 1 + L
Medical Terminology
Intro to Food Science (easy!)
Statistics

= 17 credits, should I leave stats for another term or is this a schedule I could get all A's in? Thanks!!

Fall 2014

Cell/Molecular Biology
Cell Biology Lab
Cardiovascular Physiology
Cardiovascular Lab
Evolution and Ecology
Ecology Lab
Bioinformatics Computer Lab

Fall 2014:

POS-2041 American National Government (3 credits)
ENC-1102 Communications/Compositions 2 (3 credits)
CHM-1045 General Chemistry 1 (3 credits)
CHML-1045 General Chemistry 1 Lab (1 credit)
MAC-1147 Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry (5 credits)
SPN-1120 Spanish 1 (4 credits)

How does this schedule look as far as difficulty goes? I'm a dual enrollment student (I will graduate with my HS diploma and AA degree at the same time in Spring 2015) which is why i'm taking American National Gov. and Spanish 1. Along with this I will be volunteering at a hospital for about 4-8 hours every weekend. Do you think taking on a part-time job would be okay or too much of a load? I just don't want to take on too much then not do as good in these classes (especially chem and pre-calc/trig).

Well just showing my schedule for fall 2014

Cell biology (with lab)
Ecology (with lab)
Ochem I (with lab)
Physics (calc based) with lab

Volunteer in 2hospitals 8hours
Part time job 20hours (preparing the microbiology lab and TA for the lab)
Research (unpaid) 10 hours
Non clinical volunteering as a translator 8hours

Last edited:
Fall Schedule
Ochem I (3 Cr)
Ochem I Lab (1 Cr)
Bio 2 (4 Cr)
Mosaics I [English class] (3 Cr)
Intro to Sociology (3 Cr)
Asian Thought and behavior [Gen Ed] (3 Cr)

Volunteer about 5 Hours a week tutoring/mentoring

I want to add in some hospital volunteering, but my schedule limits me to where i can only request late hours (i.e 6 PM). Does this seem reasonable?

Keep in mind 3-4 classes is a full load, 5 is overloading (which I am doing with research):

Junior Year- Fall Quarter:
Physics and Lab 1/3
Physiology (this counts as a prereq for medical school because we don't have Basic Biology 1/2/3)
Literature Class (gen ed)

Torn Between:
Biology 1XX and Biology 3xx
100 level = easy A and little work
300 level = easy A with lots of work (Plant Bio)

Is this doable?

Fall 2014
Organic Chemistry II
Microbiology (honors) w/ lab
Human Anatomy (honors) w/lab
World Religions (honors)

15 credits. Is it too much science and lab to handle? Also, when do you all get clinical experience? I have classes 5 days a week..
Very doable.

Fall 2014:

POS-2041 American National Government (3 credits)
ENC-1102 Communications/Compositions 2 (3 credits)
CHM-1045 General Chemistry 1 (3 credits)
CHML-1045 General Chemistry 1 Lab (1 credit)
MAC-1147 Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry (5 credits)
SPN-1120 Spanish 1 (4 credits)

How does this schedule look as far as difficulty goes? I'm a dual enrollment student (I will graduate with my HS diploma and AA degree at the same time in Spring 2015) which is why i'm taking American National Gov. and Spanish 1. Along with this I will be volunteering at a hospital for about 4-8 hours every weekend. Do you think taking on a part-time job would be okay or too much of a load? I just don't want to take on too much then not do as good in these classes (especially chem and pre-calc/trig).

Doesn't look that bad to me. Just stay on top of things and you'll probably be fine. But it also depends on how prepared/confident you feel for chem and pre-calc.

Update with my schedule! Is this doable?

Chem 396 - Individual Research (1-3 credits [need to set up lab hours still]) (so happy to finally get started with research)
Bio 359 - Intro to Neuroscience (3 credits)
Chem 477 - Biochemistry (3 credits (yup, no lab))
History 101 - History... (3 credits)
French 111 - Elementary French (6 credits)

Total: 16-18 hours (dependent of how many hours I spend in the lab--the goal is 12, which is 3 credits). Also going to be on the university's rugby team as well as hold 2 leadership positions (VP and Sergeant-in-Arms). Am I in over my head?

Also, would it be advisable to study for the MCAT during this semester? I'm afraid I'll either a.) worry too much about the MCAT and let my GPA slip (which CANNOT HAPPEN) or b.) put MCAT on the backburner and pretty much waste money on the books. Will be taking the MCAT15.

Note: I had medically withdrawn this semester, which is why there are no sciences included. I am primarily using this semester for pre-reqs that do not fit elsewhere and to complete the remainder of my gen eds.

Tentative Spring Courses:

Intro to Sociology and Anthropology

Intro to Psych w/ lab

History course (gen ed)

English composition course

Writing is not a strong suit of mine. Do you think this would be too writing heavy?

Here's my Spring schedule:

Physics 2- 5 credits
OChem 2- 3 credits
Biochem- 4 credits
Neuromuscular Aspects of Human Movement - 3 credits
Also TAing human anatomy- 2 credits

17 credits along with MCAT studying (taking it in April). Hoping that taking all my physics, ochem, and biochem right before my MCAT will knock out some studying.