****The Official Howard University Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Hey everyone, I'm applying next cycle. Did any of you apply before your prerequisites were completed, or did you have them all done by the time you app was submitted? I'm a post-bac, and I'll have my classes finished by August 2016, but I was concerned about submitting my application too late! Thoughts?
You can submit it in June because, schools won't start till the following year. They want all the pre-reqs to be completed before you start dental school. You would have to send an updated transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, I'm applying next cycle. Did any of you apply before your prerequisites were completed, or did you have them all done by the time you app was submitted? I'm a post-bac, and I'll have my classes finished by August 2016, but I was concerned about submitting my application too late! Thoughts?
Apply as early as possible! On the application, you are allowed to indicate what classes you are taking at the time of application/classes you plan to take before matriculating into dental school. My application was "mailed" from AADSAS in August and it's been a hindrance for getting interviews because my application was in like the 7th batch mailed out. Applying by the end of June at the latest is probably your best bet.

I sent my application the first of September and received an interview in October and was accepted. I think you will be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, im really starting to get super nervous about my chances getting into dental school. Im about to apply this upcoming year for fall 2017. Im a senior currently, with a 2.88 cummalative gpa, and I only have 1 semester left. If i get straight As next semester, itll go up to a 3.07. Im taking my DAT in February, and realistically aiming for a 22-24. Do I still have a shot of getting into dental school WITH THESE NUMBERS, at howard dental. or meharry dental? I am applying to a one year masters program in applied molecular biology for fall 2016 in the meantime, just in case. Not sure how much it will help. Also I have rec letters coming from a dentist from howard dental who graduated only 3-4 years ago.

Thanks! Is it safe to say that you had stats well above the average GPA and DAT score for schools you applied to?
I had a 3.6 GPA and my DAT Scores were only average nothing spectacular. I took it twice though to get a higher score.

Hey guys, im really starting to get super nervous about my chances getting into dental school. Im about to apply this upcoming year for fall 2017. Im a senior currently, with a 2.88 cummalative gpa, and I only have 1 semester left. If i get straight As next semester, itll go up to a 3.07. Im taking my DAT in February, and realistically aiming for a 22-24. Do I still have a shot of getting into dental school WITH THESE NUMBERS, at howard dental. or meharry dental? I am applying to a one year masters program in applied molecular biology for fall 2016 in the meantime, just in case. Not sure how much it will help. Also I have rec letters coming from a dentist from howard dental who graduated only 3-4 years ago.

How was your previous semester? If you show an upward trend in your senior year all together I believe that will work towards your advantage, especially if you do well in advance science courses. In the 2015/2016 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools, Howard's average sciGPA (they did not report their cGPA) is reported at 3.11 (Meharry is 3.10) so if your sciGPA is close to that number or if you can get it close to that number then that increases your chances! But keep in mind that is an average so they accepted people with lower sciGPA as well so you have a chance regardless. People say having a high DAT can offset a low GPA so if you can do well on the DAT that will help a lot too. Howard's mean DAT scores reported are AA-17.9, PAT-18.3, and SCI-17.8 (Meharry is 17 in all three) so if you aim for a 20+ and get that high that will help a lot. But the application process is more than just numbers! If you show that you are dedicated and caring through community involvement that also makes a huge difference in an acceptance or rejection to some schools.

How was your previous semester? If you show an upward trend in your senior year all together I believe that will work towards your advantage, especially if you do well in advance science courses. In the 2015/2016 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools, Howard's average sciGPA (they did not report their cGPA) is reported at 3.11 (Meharry is 3.10) so if your sciGPA is close to that number or if you can get it close to that number then that increases your chances! But keep in mind that is an average so they accepted people with lower sciGPA as well so you have a chance regardless. People say having a high DAT can offset a low GPA so if you can do well on the DAT that will help a lot too. Howard's mean DAT scores reported are AA-17.9, PAT-18.3, and SCI-17.8 (Meharry is 17 in all three) so if you aim for a 20+ and get that high that will help a lot. But the application process is more than just numbers! If you show that you are dedicated and caring through community involvement that also makes a huge difference in an acceptance or rejection to some schools.
Thanks for the feedback! Its been a steadyish upward trend, still not amazing. It was a small small but increase overallid say. I have a lot of TA experience and leadership positions, and volunteer dental work in underserved areas on the east coast. I think I will be able to pull off a 22 or higher. If I get into this one year masteres, Im still going to apply dental school for fall 2017 because my masters would be done spring 2017. However im wondering how dental schools will look at my application if they see my undergrad GPA but also KNOW that I already am in a 1 year masters to fix that?

Hi Guy, so congratulations on all the people that got in and what not. I am really interested in attending Howard or Meharry due to their commitment to community service and I myself have of plenty volunteering hours +leadership roles at my uni and in my community. My question is, for the people that have got in or are current students, did they look heavily on the volunteering and leadership roles? My other question is, how much do they want to see science intense semesters and does my GPA look okay so far? I am a senior and a Buss Admin major with a minor in Bio and Management Information Systems, I have a major GPA of 3.8, cumulative GPA of 3.5-6 ( we'll see when the final grades come in) but my sciGPA is kinda low, a 3.08 but with a upward trend. I've taken all of the prereqs (besides physics which I'll take next year at a CC cuz my uni only offers calc based) and will take A&P next semester so all total I should have taken 3-4 upper division science classes.

Sorry, kinda wordy and choppy but whatevzzz

Hi Guy, so congratulations on all the people that got in and what not. I am really interested in attending Howard or Meharry due to their commitment to community service and I myself have of plenty volunteering hours +leadership roles at my uni and in my community. My question is, for the people that have got in or are current students, did they look heavily on the volunteering and leadership roles? My other question is, how much do they want to see science intense semesters and does my GPA look okay so far? I am a senior and a Buss Admin major with a minor in Bio and Management Information Systems, I have a major GPA of 3.8, cumulative GPA of 3.5-6 ( we'll see when the final grades come in) but my sciGPA is kinda low, a 3.08 but with a upward trend. I've taken all of the prereqs (besides physics which I'll take next year at a CC cuz my uni only offers calc based) and will take A&P next semester so all total I should have taken 3-4 upper division science classes.

Your stats look good! You also have two minors along with a major which looks excellent. I know im not a current dental student (Yet :p), but I do know they want to see semesters where you take a minimum of 2-3 sciences together. It gives them an idea of what youd be like in dental school because thats all your schedule is, all sciences for the most part with the exception of a few ethics courses at the end of dental school, and history of dentistry like courses very early on. Aside from that its 25 credits of pathology physiology pharmacology biochem etc, all in a semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the feedback! Its been a steadyish upward trend, still not amazing. It was a small small but increase overallid say. I have a lot of TA experience and leadership positions, and volunteer dental work in underserved areas on the east coast. I think I will be able to pull off a 22 or higher. If I get into this one year masteres, Im still going to apply dental school for fall 2017 because my masters would be done spring 2017. However im wondering how dental schools will look at my application if they see my undergrad GPA but also KNOW that I already am in a 1 year masters to fix that?

Well if you are in the program while applying to dental school. I know this is not the case with all schools and all applicants, but some schools may not make a decision on your file until you complete your program because they want to see how well you do in upper level courses. However some schools may not care that you are going to fix your GPA and just view your application as is. Like with the DAT, some schools make a decision based on your current test score as is. Even if you say you are going to retake it to improve, that does not change their minds. But some schools will wait for the retake before judgment, so maybe GPA works in a similar fashion. You can always contact a few schools and ask them what they think about it? Most schools I have contacted with application questions were really nice and answered my questions.

I think both Meharry and Howard look heavily on community and volunteer service record because it is their mission/values and schools like to recruit applicants that fit their mission. As for leadership, I'm not sure how important it is to have a leadership specific role. In the ADEA guide, in Howard's specific section, it says "other factors considered in admission: community service, shadowing hours, leadership qualities, and the interview." Meharry did not list theirs. I had both community service and leadership roles and was accepted to both schools if that helps any. I think your cGPA is great and the average science GPA of Howard is 3.11 and Meharry is 3.10 so your science GPA of 3.08 fits in pretty well there so I think you stand a good chance and an even better one if you can increase it.

I'm pretty nervous. No interview, no e-mail updates, nothing since going "under rewiew" 8/26. Anyone else with me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty nervous. No interview, no e-mail updates, nothing since going "under rewiew" 8/26. Anyone else with me?

You're definitely not alone, happens alot. Did you apply early on or later, your stats? I know alot of people that applied with stats wellll above their averages, and didn't get interviews because howard saw that they would be able to get into other schools with those numbers

Just do your best! Admissions accept people for various things! It's not all about the stats. You're doing great, get some shadowing down and get a nice personal statement and you should be fine

Reactions: 1 users
You're definitely not alone, happens alot. Did you apply early on or later, your stats? I know alot of people that applied with stats wellll above their averages, and didn't get interviews because howard saw that they would be able to get into other schools with those numbers
In my opinion, to say this, is very misleading. I'm almost 100% sure Howard doesn't look at a person with stats above their averages and denies them of an interview or acceptance just because they think they will be admitted to other schools. I'm sure there are various factors that go into selecting candidates at any school. Particularly with an institution like Howard who is specifically looking for students who meet their mission and goals. Ive seen people with high stats gain admission to Howard as well as people with average stats. Its about more than just numbers.

Reactions: 3 users
Happy New Years Guys!
Hope that new years brings an interview call! Anxiously waiting...

Has anyone heard back yet about them receiving our acceptance deposits??

Got an email saying they received my deposit and that I should be getting my student ID soon

I received an email this afternoon saying they received my deposit and my ID will be coming soon. I sent mine on December 13th.

Okay, now it's official. Interview Invite for January 15! For some reason, my status updated to "Invited for Interview" on 12/16 and I am just now receiving my formal invite today (which I am thankful for either way). :D
Anywho, cGPA 3.0, sGPA3.4, BCP, 3.5
21AA, 20 PAT, 21 TS no score under 18
Prayers go up, blessings come down.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got the email that they received my deposit!! I sent mine on the 18th or 19th

Last edited:
I just got my confirmation via email

Has anyone received their student ID yet?

Has anyone done the FASFA yet? Is it the same as undergrad??

I filled out my FAFSA and it is the same as the undergraduate one; there was nothing new or different about it that I noticed anyway.

I filled out my FAFSA and it is the same as the undergraduate one; there was nothing new or different about it that I noticed anyway.
I think for grad school you should fill out parental info but for undergrad you dont have to. I emailed Mr. Smith, the financial advisor for howard he told me if possible to fill out the parents info as well.

I think for grad school you should fill out parental info but for undergrad you dont have to. I emailed Mr. Smith, the financial advisor for howard he told me if possible to fill out the parents info as well.

I think the parental information depends on the situation and is not required for everyone. I know if you are 24 years old or older you do not have to include parental info in your FAFSA because you are considered an independent by the federal government so the choice becomes optional. I'm sure if you include the information it helps them determine your eligibility for certain aid but the information is not required in undergrad or professional school if you are considered independent.

I was always considered independent so I never had to give my parents information. I do not know if parental information is still required in the FAFSA for professional school if you are younger than 24 though.

Last edited:
I think the parental information depends on the situation and is not required for everyone. I know if you are 24 years old or older you do not have to include parental info in your FAFSA because you are considered an independent by the federal government so the choice becomes optional. I'm sure if you include the information it helps them determine your eligibility for certain aid but the information is not required in undergrad or professional school if you are considered independent.

I was always considered independent so I never had to give my parents information. I do not know if parental information is still required in the FAFSA for professional school if you are younger than 24 though.
Ohhh i didnt know that!! Thanks!

Is there still no fb group? :(

I tried, but you have to have friends to add to the group before you can fully set it up
Someone should really make a Facebook! If one person adds everyone on Facebook we could make a group!

In regards to the start of a Facebook group, I second that :thumbup: lol

Anyone know of some decent housing right by HU? Id really like to be in walking distance From the campus..

Anyone know of some decent housing right by HU? Id really like to be in walking distance From the campus..

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

I have been looking for places too but all the decent places I have found by Howard are super expensive. I know Howard has on-campus housing for graduate students so that might be an option for you. I do not know how much they cost though.

Here are the links for their on-campus housing for graduate students
http://www.liveathoward.com/
http://www.howardtowers.net/

The Towers are not on the campus but they offer a free shuttle bus to and from Howard which is pretty cool.
http://www.thetowersatutc.com/amenities/

You can also check out the website for off-campus housing. Their are a variety of places such as apartments and rooms for rent in houses. You just sign up as a guest and you can browse around.
https://howard.offcampuspartners.com/

Some people suggest to check out Craig's List for housing but I have never used it so I do not know anything about it.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

I have been looking for places too but all the decent places I have found by Howard are super expensive. I know Howard has on-campus housing for graduate students so that might be an option for you. I do not know how much they cost though.

Here are the links for their on-campus housing for graduate students
http://www.liveathoward.com/
http://www.howardtowers.net/

The Towers are not on the campus but they offer a free shuttle bus to and from Howard which is pretty cool.
http://www.thetowersatutc.com/amenities/

You can also check out the website for off-campus housing. Their are a variety of places such as apartments and rooms for rent in houses. You just sign up as a guest and you can browse around.
https://howard.offcampuspartners.com/

Some people suggest to check out Craig's List for housing but I have never used it so I do not know anything about it.

Anyway, I hope this helps!
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it! :)

Is anyone commuting to school?

I plan on commuting unless I find a reasonably priced apartment by Howard that allows pets, but that is looking unlikely. DC traffic is going to suck. :/
I know!! I plan on taking the metro which should be an hour long or so. My dad wont let me move out if i have a choice to stay at home lol ( cultural thing,
Im trying to work an angle on him )

I know!! I plan on taking the metro which should be an hour long or so. My dad wont let me move out if i have a choice to stay at home lol ( cultural thing,
Im trying to work an angle on him )

lol I know how you feel, my mom would have me stay at home if she could but Howard is not within commuting distance as it is a few states away. Good luck with convincing your dad though! But I forgot about the Metro! That is a good way to avoid the traffic. I'll have to see if any apartments offer easy access to the Metro. Howard has a Metro stop on campus right?