The Official "I Got Into My Top Choice So I'm Dropping My Acceptance at ____ Thread"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellofuturedentists

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Now that some of us on here have multiple acceptances, I thought it'd be cool to make a thread like one I found from a few years ago. If you got into a few places and know where you're going, post here with which acceptances you'll be dropping! Give hope to waitlist folk.
Also works with interviews :)
I'll be dropping a few acceptances, just not sure where yet. But I know some of you are so I thought I'd go ahead and make this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I got into Touro so I'm dropping my acceptances at Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF, and Penn.

I'll update this when I have a real answer...if my top choice gives me the damn call :)

Reactions: 36 users
I got into the U of MN and will be dropping my acceptance to Marquette.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There should be a thread for having to choose between top schools... Didn't think it'd be this hard

Reactions: 2 users
Ok I lied. I think I'm going to be dropping Maryland

Reactions: 1 user
Dropping Nova as of now.

Reactions: 1 users
Dropping Nova as of now.

I am envious of your situation! I hate Michigan football, but their dental program is on a level of its own. I know a few people that graduated from there actually. I applied there kind of late and have not heard back yet, but if I were you, I would hop all over that opportunity. It is a beautiful campus too. I graduated from Ohio State so it isn't easy to admit that haha. And I am not someone trying to get one of your other seats...I only applied to Case from your other schools you went to interview at and got rejected last night with no interview. Oh and NOVA said no to me a few months ago.

I plan on attending Loma Linda.

Giving up my seats at Columbia, Utah and UoP.

Reactions: 7 users
Got into Baylor. Dropping UMKC and Howard.

I cancelled my interview at Buffalo for January 12 if anybody wants it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into my top choice at University of Washington so I will be rejecting offers from Colorado and Western and canceling my Oregon interview. UW barely accepts OOS so I'm stokeeeed

IM READY TAKE ME NOW :hardy:
TAKE MY SECURITY DEPOSIT

acb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Debating between three great schools and will be turning down offers from three other great programs (USC, Penn, UNLV). Good luck!

I was accepted to my top school and state school, VCU, so I will be dropping Pitt! It was a tough decision because both schools are awesome and I loved them both! Whoever gets my spot at Pitt is going to receive an excellent dental education!

How did you guys decide so fast!? I feel like it's going to take another few days to decide..

How did you guys decide so fast!? I feel like it's going to take another few days to decide..

From speaking to current and former dental students, almost everyone has their top pick they really want. The others are great programs that they would be honored to attend, but not THEE school. As I was told "you just know when you get to the right school and get that acceptance"

Last edited:
I was accepted to my top school and state school, VCU, so I will be dropping Pitt! It was a tough decision because both schools are awesome and I loved them both! Whoever gets my spot at Pitt is going to receive an excellent dental education!
I lived in Norfolk for the 5 years prior to going to dental school...at Pitt. I really wanted VCU but they weren't interested.

Dropping Pitt soon. What are you guys doing, just emailing the admissions office?

Got into Houston so dropping my acceptances at Baylor and UTHSC-SA :)

Dropping Nova, VCU, and NYU. Possibly Penn as well unless I get a good fin aid package.

Got into Rutgers, and will be dropping my acceptances at Maryland Temple and Columbia.

Got into UW!!! So will be dropping MWU-IL, MWU-AZ, Western and UNE.

I will be attending Pittsburgh (unless I get into a TX school). Just dropped LECOM and Midwestern Arizona. I also declined NYU interview.

Y'all can use my e-mail format to email schools if you would like:

Dear Admissions at [Dental School],

I am e-mailing to request for a withdrawal of my application and regretfully decline the [acceptance offer/waitlist] from [Dental School].

The following information is provided below as requested:
Name:
AADSAS ID
:
Reason:

Thank you for the opportunity to explore and learn more about your institution.

Kindest regards,

Reactions: 7 users

I think it helps for those that got into their state schools are are looking at saving $100,000-200,000 by going there or like others have said, they have a top school in mind and if they get in, they are going there.

Got into MWU-AZ and so I will be dropping seats at MWU-IL, Louisville, Minnesota, UDM, Western. I am still waiting on Utah to make a final decision on where I will go, but it's between MWU-AZ and Utah. Congrats everyone!

Does anybody feel bad having to give up acceptances? I feel like I'm breaking up with someone. I know they spend countless hours deciding who they want and then we end up just rejecting them. Haha who knew their would be such guilt associated with receiving multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 21 users
Does anybody feel bad having to give up acceptances? I feel like I'm breaking up with someone. I know they spend countless hours deciding who they want and then we end up just rejecting them. Haha who knew their would be such guilt associated with receiving multiple acceptances.
Especially the schools that call you personally to accept you:(. But ehh i'm sure they're used to it.

Not really, because they know it's going to happen and I does every year. That's why they hand out more acceptances than available spots. Plus, it frees up a spot for someone that is possible on a wait list.

Personally, I wouldn't (not that I have that choice at the moment). Just think of it as opening up a spot for someone else and knowing how excited they will be to see an acceptance!

I'm giving up my acceptance at the place where I had by far my best interview. They loved me and the phone call was so sweet and I just want to give them a hug and tell them someone else great should have my spot

Not really, because they know it's going to happen and I does every year. That's why they hand out more acceptances than available spots. Plus, it frees up a spot for someone that is possible on a wait list.
Personally, I wouldn't (not that I have that choice at the moment). Just think of it as opening up a spot for someone else and knowing how excited they will be to see an acceptance!
I do agree with that! I want to give all you lovely people acceptances also! And I don't want anyone to have to reapply. It sucks. The 2nd applying was infinitely worse than the first and I'd imagine every application cycle gets worse and worse.

I'm giving up my acceptance at the place where I had by far my best interview. They loved me and the phone call was so sweet and I just want to give them a hug and tell them someone else great should have my spot
Who has all accepted you? And may I ask what state you are a resident of?

Hey guys!
Now that some of us on here have multiple acceptances, I thought it'd be cool to make a thread like one I found from a few years ago. If you got into a few places and know where you're going, post here with which acceptances you'll be dropping! Give hope to waitlist folk.
Also works with interviews :)
I'll be dropping a few acceptances, just not sure where yet. But I know some of you are so I thought I'd go ahead and make this.
Dropping any acceptances before the schools give you financial aid information is foolish. Your last choice school might look a hell of a lot better if you get a full tuition waver. Especially after the others are all 50+k a year and they tell you, "We're pleased to inform you that you are eligible for loans for your full cost of attendance!"
I was a below average GPA student at my school, didn't have any hardships, no URM status, no family to support, or any documented need, and they still gave me a scholarship for an amount equal to nearly 20% of the COA. That was in addition to my military scholarship. There were people there getting nothing and I, a below statistical average student, with no financial need, got a free ride and then some. That's not the norm, but it's an example of how you never know what they have to offer you until you get the letter.

Dropping any acceptances before the schools give you financial aid information is foolish. Your last choice school might look a hell of a lot better if you get a full tuition waver. Especially after the others are all 50+k a year and they tell you, "We're pleased to inform you that you are eligible for loans for your full cost of attendance!"
I was a below average GPA student at my school, didn't have any hardships, no URM status, no family to support, or any documented need, and they still gave me a scholarship for an amount equal to nearly 20% of the COA. That was in addition to my military scholarship. There were people there getting nothing and I, a below statistical average student, with no financial need, got a free ride and then some. That's not the norm, but it's an example of how you never know what they have to offer you until you get the letter.
When do schools give you financial aid info

Reactions: 3 users
Anxiously waiting for people to drop rutgers!

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that scholarships are far more plentiful for med students than they are for dental students.

Reactions: 4 users