The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

@Odi

My #5 was a 35 12/11/12. It is respectable, but my biggest drop from #4 (13/13/13) was in verbal.

I think I felt worse about the sciences than I did, but they still were challenging!

I am reviewing it tomorrow, so we will see where I really messed up.

I also just took 5 today. When you review the bio discrete (q 142) about DNA poly, can you explain what the purpose of the middle sentence was, regarding the presence of the deoxynucleuoside triphosphates in a molar ratio of 1:1. That part totally tripped me up, but it seems to have nothing to do with the answer.

I also just took 5 today. When you review the bio discrete (q 142) about DNA poly, can you explain what the purpose of the middle sentence was, regarding the presence of the deoxynucleuoside triphosphates in a molar ratio of 1:1. That part totally tripped me up, but it seems to have nothing to do with the answer.

I don't think there really was a purpose of that statement, besides letting you know that equal amounts of bases were added to facilitate the DNA replication. I don't have the question in front of me but if I remember correctly, the key point is to know that the daughter strand will have the same ratio of bases as the parent strand.

The MCAT is notorious for giving you an enormous amount of unimportant information, especially in physics passages, to trick you in over analyzing a question. If you cannot find any relation of how the information will help you answer the question, it is best to just ignore it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with @AspiringOrtho09, but I also want to request we keep specific FL questions out of this thread.

I would be upset if I saw that before I took the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Well damn. I was hoping to keep boosting my confidence with another increase in score on practice tests. I'll disregard and pretend this is the easiest one yet. Taking at 1 PM

I don't think there really was a purpose of that statement, besides letting you know that equal amounts of bases were added to facilitate the DNA replication. I don't have the question in front of me but if I remember correctly, the key point is to know that the daughter strand will have the same ratio of bases as the parent strand.

Yeah I agree, thank you.

I agree with @AspiringOrtho09, but I also want to request we keep specific FL questions out of this thread.

I would be upset if I saw that before I took the test.

Sorry, thought my question was vague enough

Well damn. I was hoping to keep boosting my confidence with another increase in score on practice tests. I'll disregard and pretend this is the easiest one yet. Taking at 1 PM

How have your scores been? and what have you been doing to try and increase them?

I left practicing verbal for 2 weeks now my verbal sucks ...... I hate kaplan's verbal section tests
Oddly, I do better on Kaplan Verbal Sections tests than on any AAMC Verbal. I'm scoring around 65-70% on Kaplan Sections tests.. hoping to improve to at least 75% consistently by the end of next week. AAMC are trickier because the answers are so similar!

How have your scores been? and what have you been doing to try and increase them?

Being the white, Texas female seeking DO and realist that I am, I'm aiming for the 27-29 range. Started out with AAMC #3 as my diagnostic and did terrible. 22 overall, 7 / 8 / 7 . Improved on AAMC #4 with 24 overall, 8 / 7 / 9. And now with AAMC #5, 25 overall 7 / 9 / 9.

Still very pleased with my score consistently increasing. Even more so considering I psyched myself out after reading a couple of you guys post on the difficulty and after the PS section. Not to discuss specifics, but there was quite a bit that I struggled with. Right at the end my stupid little Mac mouse decided it was low on batteries and disconnected when I was trying to click on my last 2 guesses. So I left 2 completely unanswered.

My post-game after these practice exams has been a mix of not wanting to let go of the last 1/3 of my SN2 schedule, doing Biology Anki cards as I review the chapters, and doing verbal (7 passages per day, timed) every day. After this test I've decided the SN2 schedule has ran it's course (thank you, thank you!) and I need to focus on PS topics. The notecards and doing verbal exams have helped tremendously for their sections, so I'll continue those and add additional PS practicing.

For tonight, I'm going to see the new Hobbit movie and lounge around. No boyfriend = pizza, Netflix, ice cream

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is up with FL 5's verbal? You can miss 9 questions but still get a 15? Am I seeing this right or is it an error?
upload_2014-12-19_18-59-55.png

I found AAMC 5 very hard!
I just took it today and thought it was tough (10 PS/10 VR/6 BS). I am really struggling in BS and really hoping the real BS portion is more like VR where its not just knowing the content.

PS. I suck at biology.

anyone know how to use anki? I've never made flashcards online. do you have to pay?
No it's free unless you want the iOS app to make cards on a iPhone/iPad. The web version can be accessed for free from any device though. What I do is make the cards using the standalone version (available at http://ankisrs.net) on my laptop then review cards on my iPhone using the web version at https://ankiweb.net. It has a little learning curve but it's great once you get used to it. A bunch of folks on here use it for med school too: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-official-anki-thread.1061415/

The default settings assume you have a longer time frame to learn so here are the deck settings I found best to account for the shorter time frame we have until the MCAT:
upload_2014-12-19_19-6-7.png
upload_2014-12-19_19-6-17.png
upload_2014-12-19_19-6-28.png

When I started I was also making long flash cards and lists (easy to do for physiology) but found Anki really does best with breaking it up into smaller chunks of info that can be quickly reviewed. Lots of pictures and trigger words help too.

Last edited:
I just took it today and thought it was tough (10 PS/10 VR/6 BS). I am really struggling in BS and really hoping the real BS portion is more like VR where its not just knowing the content.

PS. I suck at biology.

I do Anki flashcards on the EK biology book and I've been so surprised how many discretes I've gotten correct just based on the material on there. It's helped with some passage questions, too.

I do Anki flashcards on the EK biology book and I've been so surprised how many discretes I've gotten correct just based on the material on there. It's helped with some passage questions, too.
Did you just type in different definitions that you found? Or do they have a bunch of facts you can write out from the back of the book or something?

Just random things, definitions I didn't understand. I'm new to the whole Anki thing, but I'll try and share my deck with you!

Hello everyone!

I joined SDN in celebration of 3 WEEKS until our exam. How is everyone feeling?

I scored a 28(9/10/9) on AAMC 3 a week ago. It was a little depressing as my first MCAT score was a 28(9/9/10) in August. I have been doing the ExamKrackers 1001 series and the Self-Assessments so far. With the help of six more exams, I hope to get my dream score of 31. Any tips?

Did you just type in different definitions that you found? Or do they have a bunch of facts you can write out from the back of the book or something?

Some examples of my cards since I wasn't very specific:
"Aerobic respiration occurs in the ___________, and converts pyruvate to ________."
Answers: mitochondrial matrix, Acetyl CoA

"3 stop codons:"
Answers: UAA, UGA, UAG

"What are the differences between the autonomic and somatic nervous systems?"
Answer: SNS is consciously controlled, considered voluntary, mostly sensory and motor functions.
ANS is involuntary, conducts signals to glands, smooth muscle and cardiac muscle.

Some examples of my cards since I wasn't very specific:
"Aerobic respiration occurs in the ___________, and converts pyruvate to ________."
Answers: mitochondrial matrix, Acetyl CoA

"3 stop codons:"
Answers: UAA, UGA, UAG

"What are the differences between the autonomic and somatic nervous systems?"
Answer: SNS is consciously controlled, considered voluntary, mostly sensory and motor functions.
ANS is involuntary, conducts signals to glands, smooth muscle and cardiac muscle.
Would you be so kind to share your deck? I would owe you my first born child.

@juice31, mehc012 has a really fabulous anki deck that I suggest you take a look at if you're just getting started. It can be found on the first page of Anki Central thread on SDN, just look it up! It's quite extensive, but I found it to be helpful in figuring out how to format certain types of cards/questions. That said, I find it a lot more useful to make my own cards, because that's where the dissemination of information comes in. Good luck!

I would be glad to share it, but I'm still new with Anki. Does anyone have an easy method that's more versed it in? I've exported it and saved it to my desktop, but it won't let me upload it in a PM or anything. Will it work with email?
Also, how does it work when you keep adding cards to it? Do you just have to keep sending the new versions?

I will say that mehc's deck is like, 3000 cards. Mine is nowhere near that and doesn't emphasize details as much as theirs do. It has helped me immensely though!

J/K, LOL....

I'm a computer whiz now.
I shared my deck on Anki, called EK Biology MCAT. Right now it has 156? cards. My initial question still stands about it auto-updating, I guess.

Would you be so kind to share your deck? I would owe you my first born child.

It better be a athletic beast of a boy.

J/K, LOL....

I'm a computer whiz now.
I shared my deck on Anki, called EK Biology MCAT. Right now it has 156? cards. My initial question still stands about it auto-updating, I guess.

It better be a athletic beast of a boy.
Let's just say he's destined for the NBA.

@PrecociousPiglet Welcome!

I think we are all trying hard to hit our goal scores, and I don't know what advice will work 3 weeks out.

I got a lot of good ideas from the 30+ thread when I started studying.

It's crazy that in 3 weeks and 1.5 hours we will be taking the test! (If you live in EST).

@PrecociousPiglet Welcome!

I think we are all trying hard to hit our goal scores, and I don't know what advice will work 3 weeks out.

I got a lot of good ideas from the 30+ thread when I started studying.

It's crazy that in 3 weeks and 1.5 hours we will be taking the test! (If you live in EST).

I was stoked to change it to 1/23. January is approaching fast!!

I was stoked to change it to 1/23. January is approaching fast!!

I feel the opposite. I just want it to be behind me and would take it tomorrow if I could. I am going to try to be productive these last weeks but it's hard.

You also are now banned from the thread, please find your appropriate 1/23 thread.

:smack:

Thanks @ConfusedChemist and @ahisma

Just took aamc 7 and made a 38: 13PS / 13VR/ 12BS. This is weird since when I first took it I scored a 41 (15/13/15) when I was preparing for the nov 7 spot. I guess dumb mistakes do come back if you've been slacking on studying haha.

I'm going to retake aamc 8,9,10,11 in the course of the next 3 weeks and adding in TPR 2,3 and various GS tests in there too. One of the mistakes I made in my first attempt at the actual mcat was just sticking one source of FLs so I was kind of flustered by the types of passages that showed up on test day. It is better to over-prepare for this beast from as many sources as possible. You never know what can show up on the real deal.

Hoping my VR stays in the sweet spot (13-14) :D

anyone know how to use anki? I've never made flashcards online. do you have to pay?

Why not use their standalone app like you were doing earlier? I create them on my computer, and transfer them to my ipad/iphone...Anki at the mall, Anki while waiting for a cab, Anki while in the shower, Anki everywhere all the time! :D

@juice31, mehc012 has a really fabulous anki deck that I suggest you take a look at if you're just getting started. It can be found on the first page of Anki Central thread on SDN, just look it up! It's quite extensive, but I found it to be helpful in figuring out how to format certain types of cards/questions. That said, I find it a lot more useful to make my own cards, because that's where the dissemination of information comes in. Good luck!
Do you know what title it is under?

Just finished my first FL (aamc 3). I got a 6 in verbal. Verbal has consistently been my strongest section with EK 101 and TPRH. Not sure what happened. Have you guys been studying the same day after FLs or do you take the rest of the day off?

Just finished my first FL (aamc 3). I got a 6 in verbal. Verbal has consistently been my strongest section with EK 101 and TPRH. Not sure what happened. Have you guys been studying the same day after FLs or do you take the rest of the day off?

I normally take a 10-15minute food break, and begin reviewing the FL. I simply cannot wait until the next day to find out why I got questions a,b,c incorrect! :)

I got a 6 on AAMC 3 VR also. I have gotten two 10's in a row on AAMC 4 & 5. I also use EK 101 and TPRH. Hang in there and your scores will come up!

Will you teach me how to do well on the BS section? :)

Have you guys been studying the same day after FLs or do you take the rest of the day off?

Usually take the day off; however, as we approach the test, I'll probably end up starting my post-game analysis the same day. If my scores continue to increase, I'll take the day off for sure. Like a little reward to myself.
After the tests, I always do a quick review skim over the correct answers, mostly because I hate when a question really rubbed me wrong. I just GOTTA know the answer.

Really stressing over the possibility of having to retake the MCAT2015 if I don't do well the first time....

Really stressing over the possibility of having to retake the MCAT2015 if I don't do well the first time....

I'm with you. This is kind of a one-shot deal for me. At this point I'm sure why I didn't tank the BS section on AAMC 3 so I don't know that I can help you there. Maybe after I review it I'll be able to give you a few pointers ;). It's probably been my weakest area according to practice passages. Sigh. The mcat is hard.

I'm with you. This is kind of a one-shot deal for me. At this point I'm sure why I didn't tank the BS section on AAMC 3 so I don't know that I can help you there. Maybe after I review it I'll be able to give you a few pointers ;). It's probably been my weakest area according to practice passages. Sigh. The mcat is hard.
We are seriously in the worst position. I have been so worried about PS that my BS score is failing me now. All I am hoping for is a 25 which will hopefully get me into a DO school with a strong application minus the MCAT.

Worst case scenario is that you have to take the new MCAT. Same for me. The next 3 weeks of sleep-deprivation and burnout could decide us being accepted to medical school, and I'll take that any day. 4th quarter...game face on.

I've mentioned several times that the only thing I'm doing differently for BS that I contribute to my score increases are going over my Anki cards everyday (the deck is called EK Biology MCAT if you want to download it) and making notes for the passages that involve "Drug X inhibits this, so Drug X = decrease...". Keeping my thoughts organized on paper makes it so easy to determine relationships when it comes to answering questions. Also, I made a memorization cheat sheet for IR/NMR values that I write down on my scratch paper after I do verbal. Easy 1-2 questions just solely on IR/NMR spectra.
Keep your head up, this is the final stretch!

We are seriously in the worst position. I have been so worried about PS that my BS score is failing me now. All I am hoping for is a 25 which will hopefully get me into a DO school with a strong application minus the MCAT.

That's a pretty modest goal considering your practice scores. What are you using for bio practice passages?

Worst case scenario is that you have to take the new MCAT. Same for me. The next 3 weeks of sleep-deprivation and burnout could decide us being accepted to medical school, and I'll take that any day. 4th quarter...game face on.

I've mentioned several times that the only thing I'm doing differently for BS that I contribute to my score increases are going over my Anki cards everyday (the deck is called EK Biology MCAT if you want to download it) and making notes for the passages that involve "Drug X inhibits this, so Drug X = decrease...". Keeping my thoughts organized on paper makes it so easy to determine relationships when it comes to answering questions. Also, I made a memorization cheat sheet for IR/NMR values that I write down on my scratch paper after I do verbal. Easy 1-2 questions just solely on IR/NMR spectra.
Keep your head up, this is the final stretch!

I actually downloaded your deck earlier tonight, so thanks for that. It should be a big help over the next few weeks. And you're right. Homestretch. Let's do it.

That's a pretty modest goal considering your practice scores. What are you using for bio practice passages?
I'm using TPRH verbal and science workbooks for pretty much everything at this point with some EK 101 passages thrown in every once in awhile. I really struggle with the test being on computers. My eyes just don't work right reading it off of the screen. That's not an excuse for a bad score, it's just something that annoys me during the test. If you knew me during high school or my first two years of undergrad when I didn't try in my classes and had no goals, you would understand why a 25 on the MCAT would be an accomplishment.

I actually downloaded your deck earlier tonight, so thanks for that. It should be a big help over the next few weeks. And you're right. Homestretch. Let's do it.
I also downloaded them. Thank you so much for that. If I do well enough on the MCAT the first go around, I'll have to tip my cap to you. I haven't started them yet, but definitely will. Why does the Christmas season have to be right during crunch time of studying for the MCAT? Or is it the other way around?