The Official January 10, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jhakaasmaan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time posting here and I thought I would go ahead a make a thread for those writing on this test date.

115 days out!

Members don't see this ad.

I do agree it is a risk though @GCSDOC - in a ideal world the MCAT wouldn't be changing and I would take the test in late Spring after I finish Orgo 2.

Organic chemistry is like learning a new language. The alphabet or foundational concepts such as stereoisomers, chirality, hybridization, and electron movement is the most important part of organic chemistry. The concepts taught during second semester build on these foundational concepts. I don't think it's that big of a risk not taking organic chemistry II. If I hadn't taken it, I think I could teach it to myself. Focus on where the electrons are located and why and you will excel in not only your course but also on MCAT questions....I actually failed my first organic chemistry test and aced every single one after that (including all of organic chemistry II) when I had this insight. Maybe this might help you too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Joining the thread, this is my retake from Oct 25th. I was hammered of Verbal so here I am again. Anyone have an opinion on what materials they prefer using in preparing for the Verbal portion of the exam?

Joining the thread, this is my retake from Oct 25th. I was hammered of Verbal so here I am again. Anyone have an opinion on what materials they prefer using in preparing for the Verbal portion of the exam?
what verbal technique/strategy were you utilizing the first time around?

So basically you don't even really have to study that much haha, must be nice! Was your major math or physics?

Well realistically I would love to be above it, but I think a 33 will suit my needs.

I am a nontrad student with a allied science major - not a challenging major and i graduated in 09. I am just wrapping a post-bac program at a relatively high-caliber school though, so the courses are fresh. I had taken no pre-reqs until last Fall.

I'm retaking aamc test sections b/c there is no better way to work on timing and think under pressure than by this strategy. I also am saving 9-11 for closer to test day. If you look through the forums, I have found that people who needed to retake due to a low first score, practiced by retaking their aamcs and almost every single person had an increase in their actual mcat second time around. Also, I think its more of a test taking strategy for me than a content issue.
Of course you know what's best for yourself. Sounds like you researched it, thought it through, and are putting in the hard work. What more can we do? I'm sure you'll nail down a solid strategy for yourself with practice.

Organic chemistry is like learning a new language. The alphabet or foundational concepts such as stereoisomers, chirality, hybridization, and electron movement is the most important part of organic chemistry. The concepts taught during second semester build on these foundational concepts. I don't think it's that big of a risk not taking organic chemistry II. If I hadn't taken it, I think I could teach it to myself. Focus on where the electrons are located and why and you will excel in not only your course but also on MCAT questions....I actually failed my first organic chemistry test and aced every single one after that (including all of organic chemistry II) when I had this insight. Maybe this might help you too!

Speaking of which, Orgo As A Second Language is a great book, if anyone hasn't used it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm retaking aamc test sections b/c there is no better way to work on timing and think under pressure than by this strategy. I also am saving 9-11 for closer to test day. If you look through the forums, I have found that people who needed to retake due to a low first score, practiced by retaking their aamcs and almost every single person had an increase in their actual mcat second time around. Also, I think its more of a test taking strategy for me than a content issue.
I am also retaking AAMC and Kaplan full lengths b/c I ran out of tests. I am also working on my test taking strategy rather than content!

Here's what SN2ed said on ranking the various tests:
Do you know if the BR full lengths can be found online? How did you get your hands on those full lengths? Do you have to buy the book? I have the AAMC and Kaplan full lengths that I have already taken. Getting my hands on some new tests would be ideal.

I have an organic 1 final in a week. I am actually taking the MCAT before orgo 2, and I took the baseline test before I had even heard of chirality. :penguin:

My goal is 33+ for the test. My AAMC 3 (pre orgo, pre studying) was a 33 (12P/11V/10B).

Yes this is a long week with finals studying and MCAT studying ramping up. I am looking forward to focusing on just the MCAT for 4 solid weeks. I have moved through the SN2ed plan slowly since October.

What finals do you have?

I'm taking the MCAT before orgo also! I feel like MCAT orgo is much more doable than actual organic chemistry for classes. The reactions are easy enough to understand if you get a feel for the mechanisms and spend some time committing the name reactions to memory. And do practice problems. Lots and lots of practice problems.

And wow! Congrats on the high baseline-- you'll do amazing.

Haha I just have the classic premed finals-- I'm a bit stressed about physics, but the rest should be fine :)

just registered a few mins ago for Jan 10. cost me $275 but boy I'm glad I found a seat. Time to slay this test and show no mercy

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if I can order FL's from princeton? I already used up my AAMCs and trying to find other resources besides gold standard

I'm taking the MCAT before orgo also! I feel like MCAT orgo is much more doable than actual organic chemistry for classes. The reactions are easy enough to understand if you get a feel for the mechanisms and spend some time committing the name reactions to memory. And do practice problems. Lots and lots of practice problems.

And wow! Congrats on the high baseline-- you'll do amazing.

Haha I just have the classic premed finals-- I'm a bit stressed about physics, but the rest should be fine :)

I actually have found myself really liking organic. I love synthesis and mechanisms.

I hope so! I am taking 4 tomorrow, so I am hoping to see some improvement.

Welcome!

Portugal. :nono:

haha I'm actually Indian but CR7 will always be my favorite. He's set to break multiple records this season.

anyway do you know where I can find practice full lengths other than AAMC? I think for TPR you would have to take their ridiculously expensive online course.

What's your plan for "working on test taking strategy?"
My plan is to focus on doing timed Q's, Q's and Q's. If its something, I don't know then I write it on my list of cards. I plan on taking AAMC 8,9,10,11 and Kaplan 1-5. Between those tests, I plan on taking Kaplan PS, BS and V ST. I am currently in the process of completing the AAMC SAP, which I am doing in timed 20 min chunks (psg+psg+discretes) for the sciences and 17 min chunks (2 psgs) for Verbal.

Do you know if the BR full lengths can be found online? How did you get your hands on those full lengths? Do you have to buy the book? I have the AAMC and Kaplan full lengths that I have already taken. Getting my hands on some new tests would be ideal.
I don't have them, just doing AAMC FLs and maybe the SAs if I can fit them in somewhere. TBR's website looks like it hasn't changed since the MCAT first came out ha. The only place I found their exams online was at https://www.scribd.com/randomscribduser for $20 a pop. Looks kind of shady though, anyone can upload to scribd and charge a fee so could be a scam.

Last edited:
Anyone know...if I should do the SAs timed or untimed? Please lemme know ASAP. :) thank you.

Anyone know...if I should do the SAs timed or untimed? Please lemme know ASAP. :) thank you.

I did all the PS/BS timed at 8min per passage. I do not think this really helped though. If I could do it again, I would just have done them untimed to ensure correct thought processes are being utilized. I have found that redoing sections of the aamc practice tests is by far the best strategy to work on timing and answering questions under pressure. Let us know your % correct on the SAs. Also, for the VR SA, if I could do those again, I would split it into three, one hour, seven passage exams. The SAs increase in difficulty from beginning to end so your first VR test will likely be higher than your last. Hope that helps!

I did all the PS/BS timed at 8min per passage. I do not think this really helped though. If I could do it again, I would just have done them untimed to ensure correct thought processes are being utilized. I have found that redoing sections of the aamc practice tests is by far the best strategy to work on timing and answering questions under pressure. Let us know your % correct on the SAs. Also, for the VR SA, if I could do those again, I would split it into three, one hour, seven passage exams. The SAs increase in difficulty from beginning to end so your first VR test will likely be higher than your last. Hope that helps!

Alright! I'll let you know. I am behind today...still lounging around....lol ahaha. Need to get it together!!!!

Alright! I'll let you know. I am behind today...still lounging around....lol ahaha. Need to get it together!!!!

For me doing the practice tests before totally finishing with content review was a huge motivator. Try to take an aamc test to see where you are at, if you do poorly, you will have no trouble kicking it into high gear for the next month!

For me doing the practice tests before totally finishing with content review was a huge motivator. Try to take an aamc test to see where you are at, if you do poorly, you will have no trouble kicking it into high gear for the next month!

My life right now after a bad AAMC 3, haha!

29 days, people!

Guys let's kill this test! NYC for me 1pm. Retaker. WE GOT THIS I WISH EVERYONE THE BEST. I feel like we're all in this together. Keep studying! No one knows what this is really like except for those who are doing it now.

Reactions: 2 users
Just finished with AAMC 4.

Picked up a 13/13/13 for a composite of 39. Would be so amazing to get anything near that on the tenth!

I am just happy to see a fair improvement from my baseline.

Reactions: 3 users
Just finished with AAMC 4.

Picked up a 13/13/13 for a composite of 39. Would be so amazing to get anything near that on the tenth!

I am just happy to see a fair improvement from my baseline.

Wow, nice work! You are in great shape. Having those prereqs recently has got to help a lot !

@GCSDOC Thanks! I was excited to see I was capable of a score in that range.

For VR I generally keep it pretty simple. I read the questions (~1 min), read the passage in depth (~3 min), summarize the tone and main point in my head (~10 sec), and then answer the questions in order, referring back to the passage as needed (~3 min). I find I look back at the passage to verify specific information, but generally not for "what would the author think?" or "would the author agree?" questions.

Credit for the general structure I follow is from reading this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/verbsies-the-draupadi-method.1099968/

I found skimming the questions first helps me focus more on a detailed read of the passage.

Just finished with AAMC 4. Picked up a 13/13/13 for a composite of 39. Would be so amazing to get anything near that on the tenth! I am just happy to see a fair improvement from my baseline.
Nice! So play more WoW and score goes up? ;>

@ahisma Haha! I actually don't have WoD, I am pretty busy with school and the MCAT.

I do mix in some Hearthstone in my free time though. :)

Just saw this interesting post:
AAMC3 is much easier than the later practice tests, and will be easier then your real exam.

What's false:
You need to be able to score at least 12s on the AAMC3 to even think about getting 10s or higher on the real thing. This is so off, it's not even funny. You have like 4.5 months to study. In that time you can definitely start getting 35+ on the later practice exams, and 35+ on the real thing.

FACT#1:
I scored a 33 on AAMC3 at about the same point in my studying that you were. (I think it was 10PS 12VR 11BS)

FACT#2:
I got a 40 on the real thing. (15PS 11VR 14BS)

Just that they said #3 was easier but improved by 7 points on the actual test. That thread has some good little bits of info scattered throughout.

Nice list. I always wished I could use mnemonic devices, I just never can remember them.

I would need a mnemonic of my mnemonics. :laugh:

Just that they said #3 was easier but improved by 7 points on the actual test. That thread has some good little bits of info scattered throughout.

I like your mnemonics! Some of them made me laugh. I'm glad my name isn't Sally (Go Sally Go Make Children), hahaha!

And it seems that despite #3 being easy, I'm glad to know everyone generally improves from it. After 2 days of reviewing it, I think it was an incredibly easy exam, which I thought while I was taking it. I just happened to bomb a passage on harmonics and hormone deficiencies.

Am I allowed to say that?

A moderator probably won't see it in here, but generally topics on practice tests are limited to their specific threads. You don't want to spoil things for people who have not taken it. Then they might review those topics and skew the predictive value of the very limited AAMC practice exams.

So far I have thoroughly reviewed aamc 3, 4, and 7. I agree with you in that the questions in the sciences were relatively straight forward, this completely surprised me and is a great reason how me overthinking and mentally considering this mcat to be way harder than it actually is has really affected my score. I need to transition my thought process to realize that this is just a test and that it isn't has "tricky" as I'm making it seem.

@GCSDOC Is it the sciences that you need to work on the most?

I have no clue to be honest. I say this b/c when I go over questions, I understand the concepts but when I approach questions, something happens and I analyze every word of the stem instead of just read it and answer it. This analyzing is something I have done all through schooling b/c there are always "tricky" questions on university exams and I am always on the look out for them. Based on my thorough review of aamc 3,4,7....I really don't think mcat is trying to "trick" us. I'm taking aamc8 tomorrow and plan to use a more simple approach to answering questions...hopefully it works!

I agree, except verbal seems tricky to me.

Good luck with your new strategy tomorrow!

So far I have thoroughly reviewed aamc 3, 4, and 7. I agree with you in that the questions in the sciences were relatively straight forward, this completely surprised me and is a great reason how me overthinking and mentally considering this mcat to be way harder than it actually is has really affected my score. I need to transition my thought process to realize that this is just a test and that it isn't has "tricky" as I'm making it seem.
Was thinking the exact same thing yesterday! I way overhyped this thing. Not saying it's easy but around half the questions I got wrong on #3 were due to overthinking and making the problem more difficult than it actually was.

Just finished the AAMC SAP for Verbal and scored only 56%!!! Sucks, but I guess it means I gotta step it up more every day. I did them timed, but still not good. Supposedly the average was 64%. My performance is so inconsistent with Verbal. Sometimes, I score a 6 or a 7 or 8 and rarely a 9. Its my weakest subject. I feel I can earn a 9 only if I am well rested, very aggressive and practicing Verbal daily. As soon as one of those factors are no there, then my score drops.

Perhaps, I'm not doing enough practice. What is everyone doing daily w Verbal? How many days/week do you practice Verbal? How much time? How many psg's per day? How often do you do section tests? Timed or not timed?

Last edited:
I have been consistently doing 2 VR passages in 14 minutes about 4 days a week for the last few months.

I take the time to think about why I made errors and make a mental note about how I can do better.

I think that over time my performance has become more consistent in the range I want to score in. I strive to miss not more than one question a passage (not always doable of course).

Retake from November 7th. Got raped in verbal. Did pretty well in the sciences. Hopefully the second time's the charm.

I'm intend on focusing more on verbal daily until the 1/10 exam, but I've done all the AAMC FLs and don't wanna retake them to avoid score inflation. I plan on taking the TPR FLs and the Kaplan FLs. Any thoughts??