The Official January 13, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinipela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who will be joining me on this day?

112 days left!

Members don't see this ad.

Registered for a retake bc of low verbal in case I do not get in during this cycle..

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking it on this date as well. Signed up a month ago and this was one of the few dates left in California since everything else was taken. Oh well.

First time taking it. Anybody have any advice on how to study for biology? I have no interest in reading the TPR Biology book since I have no idea if I should be reading the details or just skim things.

@ieatshrimp24

I am taking it for the first time too. For Bio I watched the coursesaver videos and took notes on anything I didn't know. I turned the notes into questions and made flashcards, which I studied for a couple of hours a day for 3 days. Making them is tedious, but I have a weaker science background. Then I did the TPR biology questions in the science workbook. That wasn't enough for me so I am currently working on the end-of-chapter questions on TPR and my scores have gone up dramatically. I will be taking the AAMC Bio SA today or tomorrow.

Taking it on this date as well. Signed up a month ago and this was one of the few dates left in California since everything else was taken. Oh well.

First time taking it. Anybody have any advice on how to study for biology? I have no interest in reading the TPR Biology book since I have no idea if I should be reading the details or just skim things.

Dont try to memorize for bio. You just have to know the big picture. Also, focus on practicing experiment-based passages.

Dont try to memorize for bio. You just have to know the big picture. Also, focus on practicing experiment-based passages.

Are you advising against memorization period? I feel like there is some material to be memorized, but then again, I'm not an MCAT pro. I have heard though that bio is leaning a lot more toward experimental passages, and for this I find reading research papers helps. Do you have any suggestions for the types of experimental passages to read and where one could obtain them?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you advising against memorization period? I feel like there is some material to be memorized, but then again, I'm not an MCAT pro. I have heard though that bio is leaning a lot more toward experimental passages, and for this I find reading research papers helps. Do you have any suggestions for the types of experimental passages to read and where one could obtain them?

All I can tell you is that I would've got the same score on BS even if I didnt study bio at all.
Who knows. You mite get a bunch of questions about hormones.

Use TPRH for bio passages.

Quick Question guys,

How should I stay fresh on the material, come winter break when I can dive straight into practice material. I am thinking about just briefing myself on two topics a week. I don't really have time this semester to spend on actual active mcat prep (doing tests and problems) since I really need to ace this semester, GPA is more important to me at this point. So I will have to resort to being passive on my studying...

The method I chose to go about staying fresh, is retaking notes via going through the AAMC topic sheet and reviewing TBR books as I have not used them yet (used Princeton, Kaplan and all of EK the first time around) . I am currently taking upper level science courses that cover everything in depth for BS so there really isn't a pressing need to review for that.

For Bio. I am doing EK bio...skimming through important stuff in TBR. TBR bio is way too dense.

How are you all staying motivated to study? I have a self-study schedule, but it's been the most difficult thing to stick to it (trying to study 2-3 hours a night since it's only time I can do it), and now it's already October :(

How are you all staying motivated to study? I have a self-study schedule, but it's been the most difficult thing to stick to it (trying to study 2-3 hours a night since it's only time I can do it), and now it's already October :(

Well this is our last chance before it gets really tough. Right now we have unlimited resources... As well.also I know you said you can only study at night but you should really try to do it in the morning..

Members don't see this ad :)
just keep pounding away :)
my schedule currently is:
wake up at 600 to work out, work at 830-5, home to study/eat until bed and then repeat on days I work haha
Also, work helps motivate me since I work with physicians and get to see the big picture of what I hopefully will be doing. So my advice would be try to live in the present but definitely remind of why you're doing the work you do now :)

Well this is our last chance before it gets really tough. Right now we have unlimited resources... As well.also I know you said you can only study at night but you should really try to do it in the morning..
Everyone works differently and has different stuff going on, so studying in the morning may be tough for Ldubs. but whichever works best, def find a schedule and stick to it!

Just rescheduled from November to this test date! Can't believe how many states have completely sold out ... I am taking mine in Indiana, but Im from Ohio (I'm blessed that I even found something that close!) Just curious if there are any stipulations with taking the test in another state.. or does it not really matter?

Reactions: 1 users
Guys, I am thinking of switching my MCAT date from November 7 to any dates in January. Please please please please please let me know if you are dropping your Jan spot. I am looking for centers in Ontario (preferably Toronto, Hamilton or Ottawa), but honestly, anything in Ontario would work! Thanks! :)

Are there any Jan test takers in the MD, NJ, PA, VA, NY...or anywhere nearby who are looking for an earlier test date? The Dec 6th test just opened up and I was hoping to coordinate with someone if they wanted to switch? I would be FOREVER grateful. I work full time so the Dec 6th test would be difficult to finish studying for! I'm pretty flexible (and can fly)--so if you are even further away and thinking of changing please let me know!!!

Are there any Jan test takers in the MD, NJ, PA, VA, NY...or anywhere nearby who are looking for an earlier test date? The Dec 6th test just opened up and I was hoping to coordinate with someone if they wanted to switch? I would be FOREVER grateful. I work full time so the Dec 6th test would be difficult to finish studying for! I'm pretty flexible (and can fly)--so if you are even further away and thinking of changing please let me know!!!

Keep looking. Obsessively ....and you'll find SOMETHING. :) I am hoping the best for you!

Keep looking. Obsessively ....and you'll find SOMETHING. :) I am hoping the best for you!

@asinha10 Really though -- a seat opened up in Conshohocken, PA a minute ago, but I was too slow to get it. I'm looking for the same testing area as you. May the odds be ever in your favor.

I had a mini panic attack last night. Cried. Because I feel like I am running out of time which is throwing off my focus. I should just shut up and do my work!

Thanks....this is so ridiculous... @runner28 are you just obsessively checking? or have you figured out a way to get alerted? @nystin you will be fine!

Thanks friend! Also keep us updated and let us know about whether you can secure a spot or not. I feel like they should ....add more testing dates..ahaha in February. Lol

Anyone dropping their spot in Ontario, please let me know! PM me please..I would be forever grateful!!!

Thanks....this is so ridiculous... @runner28 are you just obsessively checking? or have you figured out a way to get alerted? @nystin you will be fine!

I was obsessively checking for about an hour. I have since started checking every 15 minutes in 5 minutes spurts :meh: I really think just checking in as often as you can may be the way to go until the AAMC notifies us of any changes. I did get their tweets to come to my phone. That's about it.

I am doing the Kaplan course and ..... I just got done doing passage one, from Practice test two from the verbal book and after spending 1 hour on it. I only got 1 right.... My scores has progressively gotten worse these past two weeks. Any advice? I am gonna go over it in depth later. But the passage to me was really hard and I could not logically pick out the right answer. So many hard words and I just didn't get it. Worst passage ever.

so i was legit almost crying yesterday because I couldn't find a spot in January but finally sniped the Jan 13th spot in Canada (good enough). I really hope we can rock this one guys before this new beast comes up on us. So whats everybody's game plan? Im going TBR for sciences, VR for me is fine consistently 10-12. Haven't done ANY aamc full lengths so I'll be doing those starting december. Do you think I would have enough time to do 4 month SNED schedule while taking 4 courses this semester (lighter courses)?

so i was legit almost crying yesterday because I couldn't find a spot in January but finally sniped the Jan 13th spot in Canada (good enough). I really hope we can rock this one guys before this new beast comes up on us. So whats everybody's game plan? Im going TBR for sciences, VR for me is fine consistently 10-12. Haven't done ANY aamc full lengths so I'll be doing those starting december. Do you think I would have enough time to do 4 month SNED schedule while taking 4 courses this semester (lighter courses)?
I've been working on a modified 4 month S2Ned schedule for the past month or so while working full time :/ doable... but hard. I would imagine youre in more or less the same situation.

I've been working on a modified 4 month S2Ned schedule for the past month or so while working full time :/ doable... but hard. I would imagine youre in more or less the same situation.
would you mind elabaroting in the modification of the schedule?

would you mind elabaroting in the modification of the schedule?

When I do the BR re-reading I use the corresponding chapters of the EK Books since they are a little more to the point and BR sometimes has extraneous information. Also, I don't do the EK 1001 questions for Chem, Physics and OChem I use TPR subject books since they are pretty passage based.

In all honesty, I haven't seen extreme improvements in my score only about one to two points per section, but seeing as I'm only a month in hopefully this trend will continue by January.

I will be taking the test on this date as well! I am going to be using ExamKrackers and will begin studying this weekend! It will be tough with school, but we can help each other stay in check! I plan on studying 2-3 hours everyday!

I will be taking the test on this date as well! I am going to be using ExamKrackers and will begin studying this weekend! It will be tough with school, but we can help each other stay in check! I plan on studying 2-3 hours everyday!
Yea me too, i plan on studying with school also, but im following SN2ed's schedule! We should be fine with a lot of hard work and determination.

Finally found an open location in Delaware for this exam date! I'm very excited/nervous/anxious. I'll be following the SN2ed schedule, and I'm currently on days 3 and 4. My current job is ridiculous with overtime (I'm a full time accountant). I'm tempted to see what other less strenuous job opportunities are out there for me because I know that I need the extra time to study.

Good luck to everyone out there studying!

I am doing the Kaplan course and ..... I just got done doing passage one, from Practice test two from the verbal book and after spending 1 hour on it. I only got 1 right.... My scores has progressively gotten worse these past two weeks. Any advice? I am gonna go over it in depth later. But the passage to me was really hard and I could not logically pick out the right answer. So many hard words and I just didn't get it. Worst passage ever.

It looks like your mindset is your biggest obstacle.

I do best when I feel confident and happy. I learn better from mistakes when I'm confident and happy. You might relate to this as well.

A major weakness that you discover before the test day is a gift, an opportunity to hammer out any issues!

It looks like your mindset is your biggest obstacle.

I do best when I feel confident and happy. I learn better from mistakes when I'm confident and happy. You might relate to this as well.

A major weakness that you discover before the test day is a gift, an opportunity to hammer out any issues!

Thank you so much! I need to not the bad scores get me down!! :) will post on my next score.

Today is the 13th. We are officially 3 months out.
Today is a chance for a clean slate to start studying the way we always intended to. Any work we have done until now is just sprinkles on the icing on the cake of MCAT studying. We have 13 weeks until the exam. NO EXCUSES - anything is possible right now!

My plan today is to do Chad's practice quiz questions for Days 1 - 3 (from coursesaver.com), do one verbal passage and one Bio passage from the AAMC SAs.
I already did the entire verbal SA and I'm currently redoing them and reviewing them with a fine tooth comb. I do not plan to use any sources except AAMC for verbal. I will run out of passages but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Hey guys, I'm trying to follow the Sn2ed schedule, but for Orgo, it takes me a VERY long time (3-4 days) to read the section, do the in-text questions and the passages. I also have to take notes since I tend to forget very easily if I don't write things down. :/ Any one else having the same issues?

Hey guys, I'm trying to follow the Sn2ed schedule, but for Orgo, it takes me a VERY long time (3-4 days) to read the section, do the in-text questions and the passages. I also have to take notes since I tend to forget very easily if I don't write things down. :/ Any one else having the same issues?
Yes, that's why I quit SN2d a long a$$ time ago.
TPR FTW.

Do you use the TPR review books or TPR HyperLearning?
I've been using Chad's videos + his quizzes + TPRH science workbook. I was weak in Bio so I also read the TPR review book and did the end of chapter passages/drills. This keeps me plenty busy! After I finish I'm going to do the AAMC SA + AAMC 3. Only then will I know if this method was comprehensive enough. Fingers crossed! :D

I still think TBR is good for physics because the chapters seem way shorter. But I abandoned that 1/4 the way through the schedule.

I've been using Chad's videos + his quizzes + TPRH science workbook. I was weak in Bio so I also read the TPR review book and did the end of chapter passages/drills. This keeps me plenty busy! After I finish I'm going to do the AAMC SA + AAMC 3. Only then will I know if this method was comprehensive enough. Fingers crossed! :D

I still think TBR is good for physics because the chapters seem way shorter. But I abandoned that 1/4 the way through the schedule.

Wow, I really admire your drive and motivation :) And you're right, the physics chapters are much shorter. Best of luck on the SA and AAMC 3! :)

Just snagged a spot on this date! Really excited I was able to postpone till this date!

I realized just how weak I was in Bio when I took AAMC 3. I used EK for bio, but I really needed something much more thorough since I didn't do much biology in college other than Bio 1 & 2. I ordered TPR hyper learning science workbook and am hoping that will help with my weakness. Keep up the good work!

(AAMC- Twitter). A very limited # of additional January seats will be added in the coming weeks. Stay tuned on Twitter.

What is everyone using for verbal?? I have completed TPRH and just bought EK. I have the verbal SA to complete still, but I like to do verbal everyday because I suck at reading. What do you guys recommend me purchasing as an extra practice verbal book??

What is everyone using for verbal?? I have completed TPRH and just bought EK. I have the verbal SA to complete still, but I like to do verbal everyday because I suck at reading. What do you guys recommend me purchasing as an extra practice verbal book??

Try your luck at BR......if you feel confident.

I'm retaking the 15th of January. My best advice to all of you is to consider active practice > passive studying. Time is not on our side. I'm also a junior right taking my classes and working on the weekends.

Game Plan:
-EK books only for content review, anything I don't understand use a textbook or TPR.
-TPR Verbal hyperlearning and EK 101 for verbal passages
-TPR SW and EK 1001 practice passages
-As soon as Christmas break hits, full on practice exams and analyzing. That's it, no content review at all. PRACTICE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME. Since I've used all the AAMC exams/SA before, I plan on buying the TBR online exams and reusing the AAMC exams.

My old score was a 30, however my gpa is complete ****. I need a 35+ for any chance of matriculation so I am retaking again. The biggest regret is spending to much time on TBR. I used to many books out of fear of not knowing the material and I had a shallow understanding of too much material and not a very good understanding of underlying concepts. I used SN2 the first time, and while it's great...there's just to much content review and not enough practice and analysis.

Reactions: 4 users