The Official January 13, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinipela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who will be joining me on this day?

112 days left!

Members don't see this ad.

There's always someone who would try to get their hands on extra resources, no matter how old. I'll settle with a lower amount but I can't just burn these books can I?

OHHHHHH but you can just burn the books :p

Nah, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to put them up on craigslist, Ebay, or the classifieds here on SDN and see if folks offer you anything!

Still having MCAT dreams! Had a dream last night where I was taking one that had a writing section but the prompt was 2 pages long and in German -____- needless to say I can't read German, and by the time I was done figuring out the prompt, I had 3 minutes to write

Reactions: 1 user
Still having MCAT dreams! Had a dream last night where I was taking one that had a writing section but the prompt was 2 pages long and in German -____- needless to say I can't read German, and by the time I was done figuring out the prompt, I had 3 minutes to write
Lol probs bc at times the mcat feels like it's written in German

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's like some sick purgatory. I just wanna know NOW one way or another and move forward with a plan :p

I agree. The waiting is the worst. What is everyone's plan for this semester? My plan is I signed up for a 2015 mcat prep class that my school offers with TPR. Luckily it was free but I'm hoping Feb 18 we all get a score we're happy with and I can withdraw and relax.

I liked it when nobody replied to this thread for a while. ...It helped me forget.:p

Reactions: 4 users
I had a dream a few days ago that I received a 9 10 12 on the MCAT. What was surprising was I didn't jump like a maniac when I saw that score considering that would be what I would be doing if I were to receive that score in February. Now that I think about it, I would rather want to relive that dream than to have to endure this long torturing wait to realize that I will probably be receiving a measly 20 on the real thing. Good think I have other activities to keep me busy or I might be going insane.

If I don't break 30 on this thing I'm not sure I'll have it in me to take the new 2015 exam in April.
You feel like that now but the motivation will come back.
I'm pretty sure if any of us just said, screw it, I'm going to take a break from premed life for a year or two, we'd suddenly have motivation to continue after a month of real relaxation (ie: not anticipating the end of the month with dread).

Members don't see this ad :)
So question... Say I get in the 20's and take the new mcat and do better. Do you think med schools will look at percentiles? Average the scores? Only look at the old score? Only look at the new score?

So question... Say I get in the 20's and take the new mcat and do better. Do you think med schools will look at percentiles? Average the scores? Only look at the old score? Only look at the new score?

I've heard from a few ADCOMs that they'd look at both the old score and percentiles of the new 2015 score, but actually pay more attention to the old score as it'd be "more telling" since they're so accustomed to using that system.

I dreamed I got a 9 14 15 for a 38 total, and an envelope came in the mail offering me a scholarship because I aced the mcat. I stood in disbelief for a moment, and all my parents gave me smug, " I told you so's". In the dream, I kept repeating over and over "This is a mistake" until I finally started to believe it. I was so happy for a second and then......

I woke up.

Haha. My brain is a jedi mind trickster, that said, I've started to make my peace with the whole situation. Worrying more won't mean I will get a better score. I can sit here and cry from today till February 18th but my score is my score and most likely graded by now.

If I do well, I will be thrilled. But my plan is if I do badly, then I'm going to make my father pay for another mcat ( because he made me go to a 3hr bible study session the sunday before the exam and kept interrupting my AAMC 11, grrrr, I still love him though). Buy tpr new books and a 2015 course, this time and plan for the may 22nd mcat, which will give me results on June 30th and send in my fully finished apps then. Doing the mcat in may will also give me a chance to see how the april exam was.

My biggest worry is trying to figure out if I should dial back the difficulty of my classes this semester and not apply to any summer programs in case I have to full time study for the new mcat, which is why I'd like to know my scores sooner rather than later.

But what can I do, eh?

Has anyone else's mind been convincing yourself that you did well on the exam? I know while taking the exam, the exam felt like an absolute piece of crap. I know after I left the exam that I still felt like crap. But ever since a week or so passed, I feel like my brain's been telling me that I did decently. I get day dreams that I scored a 40 on my exam. And then I get out of my daze and remind myself of how crappy I felt in the moment/immediately after the exam and tell myself that I could easily be getting a 31-32.

I want to get my own hopes up, but at the same time, it means the fall will be longer and hurt more if it happens.

Reactions: 3 users
I have day dreams about doing really well too and then I remember that my aamc average wasn't all too good and then I get sad again. Oh well. Silence: I like your attitude, what's done is done and we shouldn't worry anymore. If we have to take it again then so be it. But I'm having trouble concentrating in class and I'm having trouble getting motivated to study for my biochem exam this Friday........ Grrrrrr.

For me, there's a lot of ups and downs in terms of "I did great" and "I did horrible"....just keep faith in your AAMC averages...not much else we can do at this point lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Nah, I'm pretty sure my score is total garbage. The wait is still annoying though. I think you have to wait for your step scores too right? So I guess we better get used to this high stakes waiting game.

So my family planned a trip to India from the 14-22.... Idk if I should wait to check my scores till I get back or risk ruining my trip....

2 weeks and 2 days left ahhhhhhhhhh hurry up

Don't remind me, it's the day before my first exam of the semester and I know it's gonna come back bad and distract me from studying haha

I was considering not opening my scores until I can seriously commit to study for the new one in May. Somehow I think curiosity will get the better of me. At least I will make sure I'm sitting down (more like lying down). My new predicted score is 19 (down from 20). It's so odd how it drops lower and lower as time goes on.

EDIT: Has it really only been 3 weeks since we wrote it?

I was considering not opening my scores until I can seriously commit to study for the new one in May. Somehow I think curiosity will get the better of me. At least I will make sure I'm sitting down (more like lying down). My new predicted score is 19 (down from 20). It's so odd how it drops lower and lower as time goes on.

EDIT: Has it really only been 3 weeks since we wrote it?

Officially more than 3 weeks and 1 day. Another 2 more weeks. Why oh why do we have to wait 36 days for a score. The SAT is able to get paper tests with a writing sample mailed, graded, and posted in 3 weeks. You'd think a computer-based, no-writing sample test could get posted in the same time or less.

Reactions: 1 users
I have 3 exams on the day of scores being released... probably won't check the scores until after I take all the exams.

I don't know how to liven up this place with my boring life. I volunteer at a lab while trying to find a job in the biotech industry so that I can get some money to spend on traveling. Haven't been getting many replies despite 3+ years research experience :( Why don't they waaaaaaant meeeee.

Side note: I'm starting to get really nervous about my score. This is my second time taking it and what if it's worst than the first? o_O

I don't know how to liven up this place with my boring life. I volunteer at a lab while trying to find a job in the biotech industry so that I can get some money to spend on traveling. Haven't been getting many replies despite 3+ years research experience :( Why don't they waaaaaaant meeeee.

Side note: I'm starting to get really nervous about my score. This is my second time taking it and what if it's worst than the first? o_O

You're probably too good for biotech. They clearly saw your upcoming MCAT score and realized that you're going to be going to bigger and better places in a short while

Yea life is pretty uneventful right now for me too. Excited for my vacation but other than that just research, tutoring and biochem. My current hobby is finding new shows on Netflix to pass the time with, so that's always fun!

haha liven things up!? taking 18 hours this semester as well as work and shadowing :hungover:

I am living things up too! I am doing 15 hours, shadowing 2 doctors, and volunteering. Thankfully, I am not working lol

on the other hand, I will be beyond happy if my score is adequate enough to never have to retake, do, or merely think about this test again.

Reactions: 4 users
This semester I am taking two of the best classes I've ever taken! Pathophysiology and surgical anatomy!

Oh, I also got a job as a barista at Starbucks. Coffee for dayzzzzzz

Surgical anatomy sounds awesome! If the MCAT had more anatomy in in, I would have been good haha.

I like physiology more (maybe because we didn't learn much anatomy in AP Bio). Is the reason why the MCAT is focusing more heavily on biochem now (and not having that much physiology) because the AAMC figures that physiology/anatomy will be taught in med school, and they want to make sure that you have previous/pre-requisite knowledge of biochem since that isn't taught quite as much at the med school level? Or am I completely wrong and do they bombard you with more biochem than anything in med school as well

Surgical anatomy sounds awesome! If the MCAT had more anatomy in in, I would have been good haha.

I would have bombed it though :p
No, but really if the MCAT did have anatomy on it everyone would be getting higher scores... anatomy is just rote memorization.

I like physiology more (maybe because we didn't learn much anatomy in AP Bio). Is the reason why the MCAT is focusing more heavily on biochem now (and not having that much physiology) because the AAMC figures that physiology/anatomy will be taught in med school, and they want to make sure that you have previous/pre-requisite knowledge of biochem since that isn't taught quite as much at the med school level? Or am I completely wrong and do they bombard you with more biochem than anything in med school as well

I agree. I have enjoyed my clinical human physiology and pathophysiology so much more this this surgical anatomy class. Don't get me wrong, working on cadavers before medical school has been exhilarating... but you get over the 'I'm cutting on a human' part after the second week... and memorization and studying for anatomy is quite possibly the most mundane, bore some studying I have ever done.
Yeah... not sure the whole reason for the content changes in MCAT 2015... but AAMC has written and spoke about their intentions before on their website. WHOSPPHSHPASDFHOPASH I'm just glad I killed it before it changed :horns:;)

Favorite season?
Hmm maybe season 4 with all the new docs coming in and then the crazy season finale.

Anyone watch ER or Scrubs? Completed both myself....loved ER so much until the main cast left and then it went from meh to terrible at the end. Same with season 9 of scrubs being so bad.

Will also embarrassingly mention that I watched like 9 seasons of Greys anatomy even though I knew how ****ty it was throughout. Last straw was docs in a plane crash and then they buy the hospital :laugh:

Scrubs is my all time favorite. I think I've watched it like 6-7 times through. And yea I agree, I dislike the med school season. House and ER are great. I watch a few seasons of Greys because I justified to myself that the surgeries were cool enough to get through the drama... But then it got a little too much for me and I just stopped watching. Anyone into shows like heroes or lost?