The Official January 15, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hometownbrewin

B.S. in BSing
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Roll call! Didn't see a thread for this date. I stayed up until 5 AM the morning signups opened to secure a spot for the 15th because it's the last afternoon administration of the old MCAT and I'm definitely not a morning person. The test is basically all or nothing for me, as I certainly want to avoid the new version, but I'm botching the opportunity (just finished undergrad and I'm currently taking off work and research). It has been a struggle so far in terms of keeping up with SN2ed's 4 month schedule and establishing good study habits and a routine that works for me, however things are slowly starting to pick up.

How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking it this date as well, but am falling behind the schedule already. Super scared that I might have to take the new one, which is getting to be a real possibility as each day passes.

On the bright side, I got my first 100% on a TPRH verbal passage today! Lolol.

Hi! Potential retaker here. I'm going to continue with MCAT prep and see about 2 weeks before test date whether or not I'm "averaging" high enough to warrant a retake.

Any advice for first-time takers?

More practice passages, less content review?

Members don't see this ad :)

Really depends on how far removed you are from the pre-req. I only recently took pretty much all the prereqs within the year, so I really needed much less content review than I thought (except physio). I learned the best from just doing passages.

I REALLY wished I paid better attention to pacing and burnout. I saved all the "passages for the end" and felt super burned out. I didn't even finish all the AAMCs because I was so tired. Should have cranked up the passage intensity MUCH earlier in the prep. That probably would have given me improvement. My averages were remarkably consistent, and I scored one point below the average--if I had just cranked up intensity earlier and probably did more passages (and therefore more opportunity to analyze!!), my average might have gone up, and I would have been more "prepared" come test day.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any Jan 15th test takers in the MD, NJ, PA, VA, NY...or anywhere nearby who are looking for an earlier test date? The Dec 6th test just opened up and I was hoping to coordinate with someone if they wanted to switch? I would be FOREVER grateful. I work full time so the Dec 6th test would be difficult to finish studying for! I'm pretty flexible (and can fly)--so if you are even further away and thinking of changing please let me know!!!

I'm taking it this date as well. So far, still keeping to my study schedule. :xf:

Taking it this date as well, but am falling behind the schedule already. Super scared that I might have to take the new one, which is getting to be a real possibility as each day passes.

On the bright side, I got my first 100% on a TPRH verbal passage today! Lolol.

I'm super jealous. I suck at verbal and haven't seen much improvement lately (~8 - 9's). Are you using SN2ed? I am doing quite well at PS though (14-15's).

I'm taking it this date as well. So far, still keeping to my study schedule. :xf:

I'm super jealous. I suck at verbal and haven't seen much improvement lately (~8 - 9's). Are you using SN2ed? I am doing quite well at PS though (14-15's).

Don't be jealous, it was only one passage, lol! Not a whole section of 7 verbal passages. That's quite a beast score for PS!!! Is that from official tests or TBR? 14-15's is amazing for TBR!!!!

TBR (being a EE definitely helps with PS). I wish I could say I was doing as well in the other sections. :(

Glad someone made this thread. I was thinking about doing it myself since I hadn't seen it yet.

How's everyone doing?

Glad someone made this thread. I was thinking about doing it myself since I hadn't seen it yet.

How's everyone doing?

I'm retaking as I feel my score was a fluke (-6 point or -4.5 SD drop from my AAMC average) due to nerves and such. I'm not exactly looking forward to the next 3 months of hardcore studying, but in a weird masochistic way I'm kind of excited to be focusing my energy on the MCAT again.

I'm retaking as I feel my score was a fluke (-6 point or -4.5 SD drop from my AAMC average) due to nerves and such. I'm not exactly looking forward to the next 3 months of hardcore studying, but in a weird masochistic way I'm kind of excited to be focusing my energy on the MCAT again.

Well best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
First time taking the exam and going all in for the next 3 months. Its do or die for me, not planning on messing up bc i dont want to retake the new mcat with new material (graduated undergrad in May and never took higher level sciences like biochem, etc.)

^ I'm in the exact same position, didn't take biochem (not required for my major) or any hardcore upper division science. I pretty much slacked off this whole month, I might as well start over with the 3 month schedule.

Jumping on board! Any retakers here?
Hello people!

Re-taker here... I scored 28 on the 9/6 MCAT which was a couple points below my AAMC average... I need it to be like 32 (don't we all?).
I got 8 PS, 11 VR, 9 BS.
VR is always my best section (avg. 11). I have yet to score less than a 10 on AAMC's VR.
PS is always my weakest section. Physics not my strong suit but I am putting the time and effort in this go around.
I was SHOCKED how difficult the BS section was on my exam. Totally different than any AAMC practice exams. :blackeye:

Well..... 3 months to prep, and going for the gold. Here to get and give any advice I can.
Best of luck and best wishes to you all!

Start with content review, then do passages and stand-alones... and TONS of them. Don't take the actual exam until your average AAMC score is where you want it to be. Do all your practice questions in a TIMED fashion, that helps you get used to the pacing. And make sure you actually catalog your wrong answers and focus on reviewing the concepts that need the most work.

Advice request: PLEASE provide input on how to improve scores in PS and BS.
I would like to go from 8 to 10 in PS and 9 to 11 in BS. I have 3 months to do this.

Advice request: PLEASE provide input on how to improve scores in PS and BS.
I would like to go from 8 to 10 in PS and 9 to 11 in BS. I have 3 months to do this.

What was your study protocol the first time around? How long did you study for and what resources did you use?

If anyone come November decides to postpone please let me know in a PM I'd be forever grateful. I am shocked that every single seat is taken in January. Checked a week ago and there was still plenty.

Start with content review, then do passages and stand-alones... and TONS of them. Don't take the actual exam until your average AAMC score is where you want it to be. Do all your practice questions in a TIMED fashion, that helps you get used to the pacing. And make sure you actually catalog your wrong answers and focus on reviewing the concepts that need the most work.

hey! I saw you on the 9/6 thread :) I have officially decided to retake too. If anyone has any tips for BS, please let me know!

DELETED: This was supposed to be a reply to a question from earlier so I replaced it where it belonged.

Last edited:
Taking it this date as well. I've been doing content review for about 3 weeks now (I took bio and chem ~5 years ago at this point) while working full time and doing about 12 hrs/wk volunteering. Definitely starting to run into some time management issues, but hopefully I'll be fine just sticking with my schedule for the next three months.
Good luck everyone!

Taking it this date as well. I've been doing content review for about 3 weeks now (I took bio and chem ~5 years ago at this point) while working full time and doing about 12 hrs/wk volunteering. Definitely starting to run into some time management issues, but hopefully I'll be fine just sticking with my schedule for the next three months.
Good luck everyone!
Hi there! I can tell you I thought I could handle mcat prep while working and doing research (50-60 hrs.a week total) and that was a mistake. I should have listened to, well, everyone, and worked less and not done the internship. It was a valuable experience but I would have preferred to not be retaking the mcat.

What was your study protocol the first time around? How long did you study for and what resources did you use?
I started studying for the MCAT in May, studying on my own doing content review online and with textbooks. Then I took the EK prep course, read and took notes from their books. About every 2 weeks I took a full-length aamc and did some post-test analysis but not enough reviewing and re-learning missed concepts. Overall, I'd say I got a decent grasp of material but not to the extent that I could explain every concept to a kid.

Oh I should probably mention I was working 30 hours a week and did a 30 hr/week research internship while studying this summer. Took the exam and got 28. For the next 3 months I'm still working about 30 hrs a week but no class or research obligations. THIS is my main priority now.
- See more at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ry-15-2015-mcat-thread.1102315/#post-15768709

I started studying for the MCAT in May, studying on my own doing content review online and with textbooks. Then I took the EK prep course, read and took notes from their books. About every 2 weeks I took a full-length aamc and did some post-test analysis but not enough reviewing and re-learning missed concepts. Overall, I'd say I got a decent grasp of material but not to the extent that I could explain every concept to a kid.

Oh I should probably mention I was working 30 hours a week and did a 30 hr/week research internship while studying this summer. Took the exam and got 28. For the next 3 months I'm still working about 30 hrs a week but no class or research obligations. THIS is my main priority now.
- See more at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ry-15-2015-mcat-thread.1102315/#post-15768709

I have no idea how you pulled that off--I was already on the brink of burnout and I don't think I had it anywhere as bad as you. I was coming off of an academic year of bio, physics2 and organic 2, and picked up an accelerated biochem course right after. I think my brain was just so tired of GOGOGO that when content review time came for MCAT, I just wasn't absorbing anything anymore. It took until about 2 months before the MCAT that I started really getting into the groove of things. Wished I could have done more practice passages and challenged myself much more. I used up all my AAMCs with the exception of AAMC11. I think AAMC11 is going to be my indicator as to whether or not I'm really going to take the test--I plan on taking that 1.5 weeks before the real MCAT.

I'm taking the MCAT on January 15th as well. I've been studying on and off for the past month trying to really learn to balance my full-time work schedule with the SN2ed plan, but it's been tough. I'm hoping I can really buckle down and hit the books hard since it's been 5 years since all my science prereqs! Good luck to everyone, we can do this! :happy:

Reactions: 1 users
I know how you feel. We have 3 months left and I keep telling myself "tomorrow I will buckle down and get to it hardcore". So... Tomorrow is day 1!!!

Taking it 1/15 as well. Like a few others, this is my first time and it's do or die for me (no new MCAT). Finishing content review this week, and then it'll be non stop passages until 1/15.

I know how you feel. We have 3 months left and I keep telling myself "tomorrow I will buckle down and get to it hardcore". So... Tomorrow is day 1!!!

I feel like a slacker compared to you all--I'm planning on starting 10/18. But, I'm hopping straight into passages! I'm giving myself 2 weeks to finish all of EKbio1001 and all of the physics + chem discretes in TPRSW. Then the other 2 weeks will be dedicated to finishing up all the passages in TPRSW. Maybe treat myself to a verbal section or two if I get super sick of it haha.

First time around, I hadn't really taken physio--I'm currently taking physio and genetics, so for most of my bio content review will probably be done in class. Just need to review molecular bio and microbio.

First lie encountered in TBR:

rkrerm.jpg

Says the book that is ~800 pages.

Yeah that makes no sense!! I have the BR books too and I am planning to use them sparsely for orgo. The EK orgo book is awesome for studying the material. Maybe then use BR for the tests. That sounds pretty good right?

Last edited:
Re-taker here. I took the 9-4 MCAT test and PS killed me. Signed up for Jan 15 and now it is time to tackle the MCATs all over again :boom:...

Retaker here! Took the test Sept 18 and I feel really bad about BS which is usually my strongest. Haven't done any kind of review since the 18th, I've got 2 big midterms this coming week so will start then! Or if I see my score on the 21st and its alright I'll probably give up my seat.

I feel you. PS was my worst on the 9/6 exam. BS wasn't too good either. Best of luck!

Haha for me it was verbal and BS. I scored on the low range for both of them. I think I just major choked on verbal (something just felt off with me in that section), and BS for me was just..not...understandable. Half the time I was like "WTF that's a terrible question" for a lot of the stuff. I remembered one of the questions and asked my uncle (who's a PCP) because it had something to do with...reading something. My uncle was like " yeah...it's probably in the passage because even I don't know that"

Haha for me it was verbal and BS. I scored on the low range for both of them. I think I just major choked on verbal (something just felt off with me in that section), and BS for me was just..not...understandable. Half the time I was like "WTF that's a terrible question" for a lot of the stuff. I remembered one of the questions and asked my uncle (who's a PCP) because it had something to do with...reading something. My uncle was like " yeah...it's probably in the passage because even I don't know that"
HAHA I KNOW!!! PS is always my weakest link so I wasn't too surprised with that but the BS... Man, I was literally looking at the screen in disbelief like.. "WTF IS GOING ON HERE!!!!????" It was... rough. o_O

How's studying everyone? :) Today's my first day..

Made a rough timeline of my new 3-month plan! Finishing up all the EK1001 + TPRSW (whatever's left of it..I think I did like half) for the first month before moving on to TBR + Kaplan for the next 2 months.

Just did my first whole section of EK1001 Bio...and guess what..got the exact same "score" as my previous MCAT. No surprises there I guess...day 1 of breaking the plateau (hopefully)

Do you find the 1001 Ek for physics helpful? I was thinking of doing the even ones for every section. I feel like I'm too slow at solving the problems. Time killed me on this oct 21st mcat

Looks like im definitely retaking got 10/9/9 on sept 18 mcat and was crushed. now ive gotta get right back into it. Todays my first day, but im just planning what Im doing next few months, and doing some verbal passages

Do you find the 1001 Ek for physics helpful? I was thinking of doing the even ones for every section. I feel like I'm too slow at solving the problems. Time killed me on this oct 21st mcat

I thought it was alright--I like the TPRH SW physics one way more. For one, they don't purposely word things in a vague way so that you'd get the problem wrong and feel bad. (I'm talking about the discretes). I think it's better to do the discretes in TPRHSW and then if you find a weakness in a topic, do those problems in EK1001.

Gotya, any thoughts on the 16 mini exams from EK? I bought that also, just not sure if I'll have enough time to do those and the actual practice mcats. Thinking I should leave those for after I take a few practice mcats if I have time left.

Argh trying so hard to improve on Bio and so far no dice! Averaging the same percentage--although technically I'm using/finishing up EK1001 bio as a 'content review' to flush out anything I've forgotten in the past month and a half.

Just finished content review.
Looking for a study partner.
I am using EK, TBR, and TPRH.

Just finished content review.
Looking for a study partner.
I am using EK, TBR, and TPRH.

Sweet so am I. I used the prep books from EK last time though--only going over tidbits that I'd forgotten/am a bit rusty on. Finishing EK1001 bio (my weakest section) + the rest of TPRH SW this month. I plan on finishing up the rest of TPRH Verbal and doing passages from TBR for month 2 while taking secondary practice tests (used up all but 1 AAMC test last time..)