The Official January 15, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hometownbrewin

B.S. in BSing
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Roll call! Didn't see a thread for this date. I stayed up until 5 AM the morning signups opened to secure a spot for the 15th because it's the last afternoon administration of the old MCAT and I'm definitely not a morning person. The test is basically all or nothing for me, as I certainly want to avoid the new version, but I'm botching the opportunity (just finished undergrad and I'm currently taking off work and research). It has been a struggle so far in terms of keeping up with SN2ed's 4 month schedule and establishing good study habits and a routine that works for me, however things are slowly starting to pick up.

How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Cool, just saw this thread. I am scheduled to retake the MCAT on this date. I got a 28 (PS 9 / VR 9 / BS 10) the first time. Hoping to break 30 by a significant amount. Hoping........ :xf:

I started in August, so it took me two months.
I only used EK for content review. I tried BR for a few days, but it is way too long for me.
Dayuuuum how did you finish so fast?? Did you only take a month?

Members don't see this ad :)
I started in August, so it took me two months.
I only used EK for content review. I tried BR for a few days, but it is way too long for me.

Same here. What's your gameplan from now till January? How did you do on any practice exams you took so far?

For those studying with a full course load, how are you guys holding up/managing your time? I'm having a tough time finding the time/motivation to start studying again for the MCAT.

For those studying with a full course load, how are you guys holding up/managing your time? I'm having a tough time finding the time/motivation to start studying again for the MCAT.
Are you taking 18 credits this semester?
I originally registered for many classes at the beginning of the semester, but then I realized it was impossible to do it, so I dropped some courses, since MCAT is really time-consuming.

Are you taking 18 credits this semester?
I originally registered for many classes at the beginning of the semester, but then I realized it was impossible to do it, so I dropped some courses, since MCAT is really time-consuming.

Not sure about 18 credits, but I am taking 5 classes which constitutes full-time here. I can't drop any classes either or that will screw me on later.

Dude im taking 2 classes ( O-chem part 2 and Physics part 2) as well as shadowing and studying for the MCAT and trying to stay in healthy shape... and it's hard. I feel bad for you haha. I have no time, so you must be shooting yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh studying the MCAT makes me want to punch a wall. It's been 2 weeks and my percentages haven't been increasing -_-". It's also super frustrating that I keep missing information from the passage, or interpreting the information in the passage the wrong way! TPRSW + EKbio1001 :(

And my goal was to have those finished by nov 15...yeah that's not going to happen. And by attempting to finish it by then, I'm getting kind of burned out

Looong time lurker.

Is it bad if I'm just now studying to take the test on this day?
I should add that besides a business I'm trying to start I'm both jobless and "school-less" so there's much time to devote to and concentrate on this.

I've crammed my studying into content review for two weeks from Kaplan with Chad's videos to supplement, then a full length AAMC as benchmark, then SN2 schedule compressed to one month, and then another two weeks of review with TPR, Chad's videos, and EK audio osmosis. Finally more FL tests.

Wow. While typing that out I realized I'm both stupid and crazy. Haven't taking PS courses in almost 5 years but I did really well at the time. Also took AP courses in HS ('07 graduate). Hoping the combination will help me recall faster.

Plus, again, through no desire of my own but consequences of past actions, I'm blessed to have pretty much nothing going on. Just have to pray against burnout.

Looong time lurker.

Is it bad if I'm just now studying to take the test on this day?
I should add that besides a business I'm trying to start I'm both jobless and "school-less" so there's much time to devote to and concentrate on this.

I've crammed my studying into content review for two weeks from Kaplan with Chad's videos to supplement, then a full length AAMC as benchmark, then SN2 schedule compressed to one month, and then another two weeks of review with TPR, Chad's videos, and EK audio osmosis. Finally more FL tests.

Wow. While typing that out I realized I'm both stupid and crazy. Haven't taking PS courses in almost 5 years but I did really well at the time. Also took AP courses in HS ('07 graduate). Hoping the combination will help me recall faster.

Plus, again, through no desire of my own but consequences of past actions, I'm blessed to have pretty much nothing going on. Just have to pray against burnout.

It is absolutely doable. You are blessed with an open schedule and little over 2 months of prep time. Make your MCAT studying a priority. It doesn't matter whether you remember all of the content from your classes or not. The content that is tested on the MCAT isn't rocket science. It is the breadth, not the depth, of the content that makes studying for the MCAT challenging. Try to finish your content review as soon as possible and allocate enough time for practice problems and FLs. Best of luck! You've got this.

Ya'll don't be hatin' on me but I am 1/15/15 as well. Pre-reqs are over 3 years old (medicinal biochem was last course taken) ...

Got a 72% on my first section test; :mad: after I picked myself up off the floor, drank copious amounts of red wine, I realized - I'm not the only one a bit freaked out by the looming date.

oh... my 3.98 from a Top 25 school in the country through all pre-reqs... and I just turned 50 (yes, really) ...:eek:

I know "wtf is she thinking?!?!" :rolleyes:

Let's all go nail this thing!

Update here, finding time to study for the MCAT is so hard this semester. Having some brutal classes as a physics major, sparing a few hours a week is hard. Luckily I'm doing a retake and my Physics should be sharp for the MCAT, it'll just be Gen Chem, Orgo and Bio to study hard for.

Sigh.... best of low to everyone! We'll make it through this.

I was able to change my testing site to my own state! Hallelujah.
WOO me too :)

Still not ideal, but at least it's in driving distance now! Especially because I found out that my original site in WA included a drive through a mountain range x_X.

EDIT: Pushed date back to 1/23..good luck to the rest of you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It is absolutely doable. You are blessed with an open schedule and little over 2 months of prep time. Make your MCAT studying a priority. It doesn't matter whether you remember all of the content from your classes or not. The content that is tested on the MCAT isn't rocket science. It is the breadth, not the depth, of the content that makes studying for the MCAT challenging. Try to finish your content review as soon as possible and allocate enough time for practice problems and FLs. Best of luck! You've got this.

Thanks for the encouragement. Halfway through my initial review session with Kaplan and Chad's videos before starting SN2 schedule. Finding it easy to fall behind. The catchup game feels overwhelming but hopefully it'll all sink in by test time. I'll take AAMC #3 this weekend to see how I'm faring.

Like John said:
Keep calm and adopt a mellow attitude.

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Not sure how useful it is because it's from '07 but a friend of mine who will be taking the test next month brought a print out of AAMC Exam #10 and we were just trying to answer the questions with disregard to time.
I'm amazed at how much the passages were simply thought process based as opposed to knowledge.
By that I mean that yes, a fundamental and basic amount of knowledge is required but overall it was more about concepts and thinking through the problems. Not so much calculation and the calculations I saw were basic enough to chance a guess if you couldn't figure it out.

I can certainly stay my stress level is much reduced.

Also, I'm amazed how much Chad's videos helped bring much to my memory. Subjects I hadn't reviewed or barely understood but remembered from Chad's videos seemed easy to think through. We'll see what happens when I take the current AAMC Test #3 this weekend.

Keep chugging along and stay calm

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure how useful it is because it's from '07 but a friend of mine who will be taking the test next month brought a print out of AAMC Exam #10 and we were just trying to answer the questions with disregard to time.
I'm amazed at how much the passages were simply thought process based as opposed to knowledge.
By that I mean that yes, a fundamental and basic amount of knowledge is required but overall it was more about concepts and thinking through the problems. Not so much calculation and the calculations I saw were basic enough to chance a guess if you couldn't figure it out.

Also, I'm amazed how much Chad's videos helped bring much to my memory. Subjects I hadn't reviewed or barely understood but remembered from Chad's videos seemed easy to think through. We'll see what happens when I take the current AAMC Test #3 this weekend.

I am also truly AMAZED at how easy some concepts (especially physics) are now that I have used Chad's videos. Should have never spent that $2K on a review course. Can I just say, with all due respect to SN2ed's MCAT study schedule... I bought expensive books and Chad's videos are superior to books in so many ways, they are an exponentially better way to prep for MCAT. Save your time, save your money as the slogan goes. Coursesaver.com is seriously a lifesaver for me. I am really excited to take my next practice test.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Who is Chad? And who is willing to give up a spot for me? Just realized that registering for the December MCAT isnt really going to help me at all :(

Light and Happiness,
K

Chad (or his people) have been known to advertise on here... are you Chad? :shifty:

if anyone who held a spot for this date just to be safe, and is now dropping it, please please message me, ill take it. thank you very much !!

As I just discovered that I have to retake my exam on this date, I am starting to study on Sunday once the holiday is over. Does anyone have a good idea of a 6 week study schedule for a retaker? Also, I have used up all of the AAMC FL's. Does anyone recommend any other FL's?

As I just discovered that I have to retake my exam on this date, I am starting to study on Sunday once the holiday is over. Does anyone have a good idea of a 6 week study schedule for a retaker? Also, I have used up all of the AAMC FL's. Does anyone recommend any other FL's?
IMO the most important thing for us re-takers is to review and practice the content. Without really, really, really understanding the material so well you could teach it to a high school kid, you don't know it well enough for the MCAT.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Hope y'all take some time out of the day to stuff yourselves ;)
Also I'm dreadfully behind schedule. Boo.

Hello,
i'm a re-taker too. anyone willing to PM and exchange email/number to motivate, touch base?

I'm re-taking from 27 and planning to do SN2/berkely review books and TPR Science review. Still have to decide about VR and such..

Hello,
i'm a re-taker too. anyone willing to PM and exchange email/number to motivate, touch base?

I'm re-taking from 27 and planning to do SN2/berkely review books and TPR Science review. Still have to decide about VR and such..

Messaging you!

Anyone for moral support, sync with me on practice tests, or berkely review/tpr science workbook problem? it will be good to do the same problems within the same day(+/- a few) of each other so support, see errors, talk about it.

Im working full time at the moment but only for 2 weeks. It's amazing how quickly time is passing. I'm truly amazed.

Wow, Reminds me of when I got into an accident the day of my first exam... oop
(wasn't drag racing tho, I swear)

Damn I can only imagine how having that on the back of your mind could affect your test performance. God forbid any of us encounter anything the morning of that adds on additional stress

Anyone planning to switch to a later testing date like Jan 23rd and dropping Jan 15th in the South Florida area please private message me!!!

Anyone else a couple of days behind their study schedule due to Thanksgiving festivities?

Dear guys,

Next 2 weeks, I'm working (now only 1.5 weeks left technically). I have to motivate myself to use post-work evening hours well. So far, yesterday i only took 2 VR passages. I am trying to breathe and study for the MCAT after work in the evening even when i can make a million excuses , reasons that stop in my way..

I also working to get adequate sleep..but my goal is only to work 4 days a week this week and next week and the week after that is pretty easy work week for us..

I realize that I am getting olde,r this medschool dream is getting far away and it's all can be a bit melancholic, but I'M TRYING to keep it together one passage at a time.

Dear guys,

Next 2 weeks, I'm working (now only 1.5 weeks left technically). I have to motivate myself to use post-work evening hours well. So far, yesterday i only took 2 VR passages. I am trying to breathe and study for the MCAT after work in the evening even when i can make a million excuses , reasons that stop in my way..

I also working to get adequate sleep..but my goal is only to work 4 days a week this week and next week and the week after that is pretty easy work week for us..

I realize that I am getting olde,r this medschool dream is getting far away and it's all can be a bit melancholic, but I'M TRYING to keep it together one passage at a time.

You can do it! I am rooting for you! We are all in the same boat until January 15.

Hello MCAT peeps.

I am still struggling with making a significant dent towards MCAT prep. I think what I need to do is atleast have a plan for the week: specific, what passages, what problems/pages, etc for the weekdays. I only have 2 weeks of work left, but TWO WEEKS ARE CRITICAL FOR MCAT PREP!

I took today off so I can study. But I only got to the library at 2pm which is pretty late.

Also I found that for me, environment helps. Studying at rice library where everyone is young/ working / studying is much more productive state of mind than studying at local library with kids, families, older folks , different priorities.

On weeknights, I know that I can't study at home afterwork, so may decide to just keep the books in the car and hit the College library (where I can park for free at night after 6pm) and just study there after work from 7-10pm. It's a 20 min drive (or less on the high way) but it's totally worth it.