The Official January 15, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hometownbrewin

B.S. in BSing
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Roll call! Didn't see a thread for this date. I stayed up until 5 AM the morning signups opened to secure a spot for the 15th because it's the last afternoon administration of the old MCAT and I'm definitely not a morning person. The test is basically all or nothing for me, as I certainly want to avoid the new version, but I'm botching the opportunity (just finished undergrad and I'm currently taking off work and research). It has been a struggle so far in terms of keeping up with SN2ed's 4 month schedule and establishing good study habits and a routine that works for me, however things are slowly starting to pick up.

How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC Average: 28
AAMC 10-11: 30
Actual: 20.

I don't know how the f******************* it's possible to do 8 points below my average. I had a 23 before i even started studying? I don't understand how I can get a lower score than what I started with before I spent 2.5 months preparing? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Should i even bother asking if I even have a chance for acceptance anywhere with a high gpa? I just don't understand. How is this even possible? Not in my wildest imagination would i have expected this score? I mean i understand i didnt finish 2 passages per section, but how? I don't even know what to think.

Study for a retake and stay positive!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I don't know how the f******************* it's possible to do 8 points below my average. I had a 23 before i even started studying? I don't understand how I can get a lower score than what I started with before I spent 2.5 months preparing? It just doesn't make any sense to me. Should i even bother asking if I even have a chance for acceptance anywhere with a high gpa? I just don't understand. How is this even possible? Not in my wildest imagination would i have expected this score? I mean i understand i didnt finish 2 passages per section, but how? I don't even know what to think.

Damn dude, that's brutal. Take your vengeance on the MCAT 2015

Test date: 1/15/2015
Time: 1 pm
AAMC average: 32
AAMC 10-11 average: 32.5
Post test expected score: 30
Actual score: 31 (10 PS/10 VR/11 BS)

I'm really disappointed :( I've never scored below a 12 on PS. Should I retake?

AAMC average: 33 (first try)
AAMC average: 36 (redoing 6 months later)
AAMC 10-11 average: 33
Post test expected score: 27-29
Actual score first attempt (7/2014): 29 (7 PS/10 VR/12 BS)

Actual score: 33 (9 PS/13 VR/11 BS):zip:

Ecstatic! Been worrying every night and not been able to do anything but worry this past month. :panda::penguin:

Reactions: 2 users
AAMC average: 33
AAMC 10-11 average: 35
Post test expected score: 31
Actual score: 33 (15 PS/8 VR/10 BS)

The unbalanced nature of my score is a bit alarming, but I can't say it wasn't expected. To those considering 30+ retakes, I'd say to be less neurotic. Even if a 30 is 10 points below your average, it's still a competitive enough score to attend medical school. Same goes for the 28s and 29s in the crowd too. Your performance in medical school, specifically the standardized tests, means FAR more than where you actually attend medical school. Best of luck to all of you moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC average: 32
AAMC 10-11 average: 32.5
Post test expected score: 30
Actual score: 31 (10 PS/10 VR/11 BS)

I'm really disappointed :( I've never scored below a 12 on PS. Should I retake?

HEllz yeah you should Retake that ssshhhhhheeeet. Yolo bro!

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC average: 27
AAMC 10-11 average: 27
Post test expected score: 27 +/-3
Actual score: 27 (8 PS/9 VR/10 BS)

meh score, im applying both MD and DO. Not retaking this test ever again though.

Reactions: 1 users
AAMC average: N/A
AAMC 10-11 average: N/A
Post test expected score: 30-34 (based on past grading scales and how comfortable I was)
Actual score: 30 (9 PS/10 VR/11 BS)

Last edited:
AAMC average: 28
AAMC 10-11 average: 27
Post test expected score: felt like ****
Actual score: 28 (9 PS/8 VR/11 BS)

I'm rolling with this score, I am forever done with the MCAT and it feels ****ing good.

To all those lurking and/or posted, thanks for the encouragement. Best of luck in the future!

Reactions: 4 users
AAMC average: 25
AAMC 10-11 average: N/A
Post test expected score: Felt better than first time, but we all know how that goes...
Actual score: 30 (11 PS/10 VR/09 BS)

This was my second attempt at the beast... I improved 7 points from a 23 to a 30, which I was more than pleased with...I honestly could have/should have studied more for the retake than I did. In reality, I truly only studied for about 3 and half weeks straight right before the test (cramming is a bad habit, don't do it) focusing mainly on physical sciences as that was my weakest (scored a 6) first time around. Regardless, I am glad I improved this much and gave myself a fighting chance with all my extracurricular's and good GPA.
I think what helped this time around was my attitude going into the test. I was much more relaxed and didn't psyche myself out. Just went with the flow, didn't know an answer, screw it move on. Stayed on pace throughout the test, that was my focus...I had it planned in my mind that after the test, once I got to the "void" screen, I would judge my gut feeling on how I felt relative to finishing the first time around. My gut told me I felt better this time, as I was able to not feel behind or rushed. So, after about 5 minutes of staring at the void button, I said, nope I'm going to score it! And I'm glad I did.. Trust your gut, and keep calm, that's what I learned from this experience. Hope this gives some of you out there a little bit of hope and confidence in yourself should you need it! Good luck to all in your future endeavors.

This thread went to shi*t, lol

Lolz. People seem to forget this is SDN (a lot of above average folks and geniuses on here) and that the average MCAT score of all test-takers who get their tests graded is a 25 (or was for 2013 or 2014.. idk google it).

Also, folks (for whatever reason) could possibly be making up their scores on here. Ya never know.

If you didn't get the score you wanted, study and retake. Not the end of the world.

Lolz. People seem to forget this is SDN (a lot of above average folks and geniuses on here) and that the average MCAT score of all test-takers who get their tests graded is a 25 (or was for 2013 or 2014.. idk google it).

Also, folks (for whatever reason) could possibly be making up their scores on here. Ya never know.

If you didn't get the score you wanted, study and retake. Not the end of the world.

my dude! I see a lot of crazy people on this forum and lot of weirdos with no life outside of school (which is fine if that's really what you want). This forum really is ridiculous and way to uptight/neurotic . All the people i have ever talked to about this forum, everyone says to avoid it all costs for your own good. It's a great site for information and help, but most people who post here are almost robots and are dead seat on a proper/one rigid was to get into MD school (forget DO schools at all costs...lol). That said, I still like to browse this site and there are some very helpful and encouraging posters, but i take everything with a grain of salt, like anything in life...

TL/DR.... Don't let these people on here discourage you, lots of people will tell you can't do something in life, but it's up to you to prove them wrong.

Reactions: 3 users

my dude! I see a lot of crazy people on this forum and lot of weirdos with no life outside of school (which is fine if that's really what you want). This forum really is ridiculous and way to uptight/neurotic . All the people i have ever talked to about this forum, everyone says to avoid it all costs for your own good. It's a great site for information and help, but most people who post here are almost robots and are dead seat on a proper/one rigid was to get into MD school (forget DO schools at all costs...lol). That said, I still like to browse this site and there are some very helpful and encouraging posters, but i take everything with a grain of salt, like anything in life...

TL/DR.... Don't let these people on here discourage you, lots of people will tell you can't do something in life, but it's up to you to prove them wrong.
These men get it.

I'm sufficiently drunk, and I have a score to post... dun, dun, dun...

AAMC average: 30ish?
AAMC 10-11 average: 30ish?
Post test expected score: "lol idk." literally my reaction
Actual score: 29 (10 PS/11 VR/08 BS)

I'm not thrilled because I know I can do better than that.. Especially on BS. The new MCAT plays to my strengths, so maybe I'll take a diagnostic test to see where I stand.
To all my fellow 1/15ers, I admire all of your tenaciousness and perseverance. Whether you got the score you wanted this time around or not, I know you will all make incredible physicians one day!

Also, Roll Tide!

AAMC average: 29.4
AAMC 10-11 average: 32
Post test expected score: 30-34
Actual score: 31 (11 PS/09 VR/11 BS)

I'm worried about my verbal score being low. All in all I think I do have a shot getting in this year. have a overall 3.75 gpa. Any input?
Current applicant this cycle. I got 8 in verbal, then 7 in verbal on retake. overall highest score was 31. 3.7 GPA. Applied to 20 schools, (including UCs if that means anything to you), got 5 interviews (including schools that have 10,000+ applicants, one at a reputable UC). Matriculating to a school I really liked. You can do it man. I'd say work on personal statement, get strong letters of recommendation, and write outstanding secondaries.

****ing goodness... i got 13/7/13 total= 33
do u think i can get into a md program with a 7 in verbal?
I got 5 interviews at established medical schools, some with 10,000+ applicants (including a reputable UC the very first round). No school asked me about my verbal score. Your overall score was better than mine as well. I had a 31MCAT with 7 in verbal on my retake after getting an 8 the first time. I am matriculating this year. Hope that helps!

I got 5 interviews at established medical schools, some with 10,000+ applicants (including a reputable UC the very first round). No school asked me about my verbal score. Your overall score was better than mine as well. I had a 31MCAT with 7 in verbal on my retake after getting an 8 the first time. I am matriculating this year. Hope that helps!
mind telling us which schools?

TPR average: 25
AAMC 10-11 average: 28
Post test expected score: 25
Actual score: 30 (09PS/11VR/10 BS)

I couldn't be happier. Working full time, going to school, having a family, and generally a life as a non trad (I just turned 29). I can't believe people on here are as gunner and neurotic to be retaking 30+'s. Good luck on the interview sounding like a person that has more experience than school and premed checklist volunteer work and shadowing. You do realize a 30 is 79th percentile right?

You go ahead and be bummed, I'm gonna be happy and enjoy my freedom from this godawful test.

And I take that back, I can believe it. This is sdn mcat after all, not known for its grace, non-anecdotal, level headedness

Reactions: 8 users
Because I knew this was the only MCAT I'd ever take. Funny thing is, I thought I'd failed with a 26 or something. I'm still just shocked.

Try and keep your head up, its just a test. FWIW, I spent 4 months, and countless hours everyday on a diligent study schedule, yet in the end I don't even have a score b/c I voided. So look at the brightside, once you take the new mcat and get an interview, you'll be able to show adcoms that you have the the willpower to overcome adversity when things don't go as planned. Self-reflect positively and find ways to make this experience something that can show your strengths, rather than something that only shows weaknesses. You can't change your score so focus your energy instead on changing your attitude and perspective on this experience!

I got a 20. Should I even attempt the new one or...change careers? This test just kinda bummed me out...

Don't give up! There are plenty of postbac programs you can apply to that have linkage agreements to various medical schools. Of course it comes with improving your score and doing well in their 1-2 year program but I'm sure you can do it! Good luck! :)

Don't give up! There are plenty of postbac programs you can apply to that have linkage agreements to various medical schools. Of course it comes with improving your score and doing well in their 1-2 year program but I'm sure you can do it! Good luck! :)
What kind of postbac programs?

Current applicant this cycle. I got 8 in verbal, then 7 in verbal on retake. overall highest score was 31. 3.7 GPA. Applied to 20 schools, (including UCs if that means anything to you), got 5 interviews (including schools that have 10,000+ applicants, one at a reputable UC). Matriculating to a school I really liked. You can do it man. I'd say work on personal statement, get strong letters of recommendation, and write outstanding secondaries.

Thanks! That really is helpful.

What was your practice test average? What was your study method?

I averaged around a 29/30 on practice tests. I guess my study methods weren't that great now that I think about it. I took a lot of practice tests and brushed up on concepts that I didn't remember well. I'm not that used to studying tbh since I usually do well in my classes.

Thats one thing about this test, it's a lot about knowing HOW to take it, not just knowing things. That and it's such a breadth of knowledge, you need to know how to get to the right answer as well. I was in the same boat, but it really does take some time commitment to get a good score.

And stay positive, totally okay to take it again, as long as you make some changes to your habits and approach it from a different angle. Straight from UW admissions

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 10.17.31 AM.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

That is the exact same thing that happened to me back in April. Consider yourself an exception to the rule. Try not to be too bummed. Take some time to mentally get over it and then start studying for the new MCAT. I'm still waiting for my scores for the Jan 23 date. Fingers crossed.

AAMC Average: 31
AAMC 10-11 average: 30.5 (the last five practice tests were all between 30 and 31)
Expected test score: 26-28 (see my previous comments in this thread)
Actual MCAT score: 33. 11 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS

I have no idea how I ended up with a 33. I knew I am capable of 35+ given the right luck, good sleep, and the proper questions that hit my strengths but this particular exam hit every single one of my weaknesses. I took the test back in July and thought that one was the perfect match for the AAMCs and cursed myself for voiding it. Being particularly very weak in math/physics and orgo I decided to tailor my content review based on what I got wrong on the AAMCs, and unfortunately my Jan 15 test did not mirror any of that content (especially in physics... where there were no pressures and other high yield topic areas). I felt so bummed out when I made basic reading mistakes and randomly guessed on a bunch of answers in PS. To be perfectly honest I was expecting somewhere like an 8, 9, 10 or 8,9,11. Seriously, I feel like my current score is a fluke, especially because I thought the curve is going to be ridiculously harsh because the exam felt straight forward (whereas I suffered from lack of content review - hence I thought the test was easy, I just didn't know the material). I am not even happy yet cause it did not hit me. I am simply in total shock.

Let this serve as a real world testament that you can half-ass some of the sections and still get away with a good score. I studied after my Finals ended from December 16th until December 30th doing mostly content review. Then I took all 8 AAMCs almost back to back from January 2nd to January 14th. My point is, to those of you who have weak areas, or are short on time, IT IS possible to compensate and hit a 30+. I came across a thread on reddit where a guy was scoring 30's before his real test, and when he changed his mindset and approach to the exam he ended up with a 35. That thread really helped me out. This test really is all about your psychology and emotional control. To everyone who has to retake the new beast, hang in there, and have faith. It is 100% possible to do well with a very limited amount of time. Even if you are not gifted in the sciences, don't have $$ to throw away on tutors, or can't do basic math (wtf is trigonometry? I don't even know how to add fractions properly let alone radicals) YOU CAN DO THIS! I am just an average Joe who suffers from the same typical stuff half of you lurkers (not the gunners) suffer from. I procrastinate a ton. I have a bunch of personal problems. My sleeping pattern is all out of whack. There is always drama that needs my attention. I hate orgo. I am neurotic. I suck at verbal almost as much as I suck at physics. If I can do it, there is no reason any of you can't. Seriously, if you put in enough emotional effort into your confidence as you do into analyzing charts in BS you will get far. Be clever, be logical, think outside the box, and have confidence. I'll take adaptability + intuition + composure over raw content review any day.

Reactions: 11 users
Based on the posts so far, it seems that we probably had a harsh curve on our exam (not that we'll ever know lol).

Try and keep your head up, its just a test. FWIW, I spent 4 months, and countless hours everyday on a diligent study schedule, yet in the end I don't even have a score b/c I voided. So look at the brightside, once you take the new mcat and get an interview, you'll be able to show adcoms that you have the the willpower to overcome adversity when things don't go as planned. Self-reflect positively and find ways to make this experience something that can show your strengths, rather than something that only shows weaknesses. You can't change your score so focus your energy instead on changing your attitude and perspective on this experience!

You're right, I just need some time off from this exam. I know I spent the last month not really doing anything, but the constant worrying was just as time consuming as the studying. I wish I would've voided it, if nothing else, maybe it would not have been so hard with my confidence seeing a score that doesn't represent me whatsoever. I just feel like I'm not capable of anything at this point :(

Don't give up guys... I know that this can be a soul crushing experience and a lot of it sometimes comes down to luck. (i.e. What test you get). I studied 3 months for my first august 15th MCAT, and scored a 26 (10 PS/6 VR/10 BS)... My aamc avgs were 32-33... I knew I could do better so i immediately scheduled a retake for January 15th. I had just graduated in December and was so burned out, I really didn't study that much during December besides verbal! Thats pretty much all I did. I got a 31 (10 PS/9 VR/12 BS) This score is not great by any means by i'm proud of it and you all should be proud of even taking this extremely difficult exam. If anyone has any questions, feel free to pm.

So I'm really freaking out here.

I got a 28 on my MCAT the first time and a 25 this time (anxiety got me rattled Cuz I was averaging 30-32 on practice tests. Always been a poor standardized test taker). I got a 3.6 gpa, researched for 2 years and a fair amount of extracurriculars and I also go to UofM.

Whatre my chances for DO programs/getting into med scool?

Need to put this anxiety to ease.