*The Official January 2016 MCAT*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I don't see any thread made for January 2016 MCAT test date, so I thought to create one. I'll be graduating by the end of this year and will be giving my MCAT on January 2016. I had my test date set for September of this year, but something came up and I won't be able to dedicate myself to studying for the MCAT fully. So, let us make this thread rich with all the discussions about the MCAT. Let us support each other and make taking MCAT a pleasurable experience, so I think. Let's go.......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Lmao you guys are aware that the MCAT people check through online forums and CAN/WILL pursue action against you if you post what was on the exam or ask...

not exactly true... you can speak in generalities ... like:

mine had lots of physics 2, a little orgo, no biochem; definitely had to know equations and relationships
CARS: read a lot; long, dense passages, twisted "which is best" types of questions
BB: KNOW your biochem: AA's, pka's, enzymatic stuff; not a lot of physio
PC: guess... seriously; know experimental stuff and how to interpret

ALL THAT type of feedback will not get you into trouble with AAMC, SDN or anyone else.

NOW, if you were to state:

My first passage had to do with electrophysio balancing of ions with interrelated kinematics related to MRI tests and CT scans polarizing the channels where a student performed a test cross in a beta hemolytic cell...

THAT is troublesome. And would get some raised eyebrows if not investigations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you guys recommend how to study for Psychology and Biochemistry? Basically how do you guy recommend studying for this entire test :laugh:

Every time I read these threads I get more confused about how to properly study.

Just a side note for biology, organic chemistry, chemistry, and physics I used TBR. Did all the passages, etc. Hearing that there isn't much of these things on certain tests upsets me haha.

For biochemistry I used Kaplan's content book, Khan videos, TBR Book II questions, as well as Khan questions.

For psychology I have used TPR content book and Khan questions.

Obviously every AAMC material is used/being used as well.

Could you guys recommend how to study for Psychology and Biochemistry? Basically how do you guy recommend studying for this entire test :laugh:

Every time I read these threads I get more confused about how to properly study.

Just a side note for biology, organic chemistry, chemistry, and physics I used TBR. Did all the passages, etc. Hearing that there isn't much of these things on certain tests upsets me haha.

For biochemistry I used Kaplan's content book, Khan videos, TBR Book II questions, as well as Khan questions.

For psychology I have used TPR content book and Khan questions.

Obviously every AAMC material is used/being used as well.

I recommend finding the smartest person you can, paying them a lot of money to dress up as you and take the test. Easiest and most efficient way to get a 528.

In all seriousness all the materials you have seem fine.... One recommendation on here has been to read some scientific journals if you have the chance, get used to goals of research/describing results

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend finding the smartest person you can, paying them a lot of money to dress up as you and take the test. Easiest and most efficient way to get a 528.

In all seriousness all the materials you have seem fine.... One recommendation on here has been to read some scientific journals if you have the chance, get used to goals of research/describing results

What Choge said. My biochem and psych sections required a lot of deciphering a ****ton of info. Reading scientific papers will def help you get better at processing all the experiment design. Also, I cannot emphasize the importance of the section banks. Make sure you understand each question and give yourself about 8-10 min for each passage. I know they're gonna be brutal at first, but you'll get used to it fast.

What Choge said. My biochem and psych sections required a lot of deciphering a ****ton of info. Reading scientific papers will def help you get better at processing all the experiment design. Also, I cannot emphasize the importance of the section banks. Make sure you understand each question and give yourself about 8-10 min for each passage. I know they're gonna be brutal at first, but you'll get used to it fast.

Thanks guys. Did you feel as if the section banks help you a lot? As well as the 2 AAMC exams? I hear they are pretty close to the actual so I will definitely be analyzing and breaking down each question. Thanks!

I keep hearing the journal article thing. Any recommendations on where/how to search up pertinent articles. I know obviously look up pubmed, but I guess where I get stuck is finding articles that can be somewhat relevant. Searching up articles is already a pretty large task on top of reading them and reading all this material as well as doing a boat load of practice questions.

Thanks guys. Did you feel as if the section banks help you a lot? As well as the 2 AAMC exams? I hear they are pretty close to the actual so I will definitely be analyzing and breaking down each question. Thanks!

I keep hearing the journal article thing. Any recommendations on where/how to search up pertinent articles. I know obviously look up pubmed, but I guess where I get stuck is finding articles that can be somewhat relevant. Searching up articles is already a pretty large task on top of reading them and reading all this material as well as doing a boat load of practice questions.

I would just use Pubmed/Nature and look up any sort of cancer research... This will be a ton of the pathway stuff/different protein and gene expression that can be tricky....
-I took a cancer cell class and some of the one's I recommend looking up would be about p53, MapK pathway and pRB...

I would stick to doing as many passages as you can. You also need to get used to answering what they're asking. They tend to have recurring themes and patterns.

Ok guys, I know we have been blowing this thread up, but I thought I would share this. First of all I am not your traditional applicant, I am 26, graduated from UT with a BS in neuroscience 3 years ago, this is my 3rd attempt (voided 1st, 23 on old 2014 MCAT). I have worked in the hospital full time now for about 3 years (and can't stand taking orders from residents that are a year older than me). I know a lot of us MCATers are going through one of the most trying periods in our academic careers. This particular month will make or break our dreams. I woke up this morning really anxious about my test scores, I mean I have been since I walked out of prometric. I called my sister, she is a 3rd yr Surgery resident at Methodist Hospital in Dallas, Texas. She told me this: "Do not get your hopes up for a curve or an awesome score, Prepare yourself like you did bad. Then if you do good it will be a nice surprise when scores come in." Since I talked to her and started preparing myself for a less than satisfactory score, I really haven't been thinking about the results at all. To those of you who are still in college or just finishing, you got it good. Come time for internship you will be the boss of literally everyone and 85% of them will be older than you. This can be bad and good. You will learn from experienced nurses etc and get burdened by staff not completing orders... because you are new and they are jealous. Over this upcoming month as we wait, think to yourself how awesome it will be to be at the top, also remind to yourself if you don't get a good score, and have to retake it twice, you will still be younger than literally everyone in the healthcare field when you get your MD. A lot of you guys are so obsessed with getting into med school right out of college, but honestly there comes a point where you get burned out. If you aren't happy with your score... Hell.... Take a year off, do something you have never done, get a job in healthcare, do something to broaden your horizons. This whole Doctor thing in reality has more to do with clinical skills than it does solving science problems all day. Ok I'm done being that awkward old guy who sits at the front of the class and answers all the questions lol.

Stay strong you guys, we worked hard, just gotta tough it out for 28 more days.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Um not I don't want to burst people's bubble but doesn't aamc explicitly say that there is no curve? The test is standardized, which means that they decide and adjust the scoring before anyone takes it right? I might be wrong, but I know they say that it isn't technically curved

OT about the actual exam. I took it as a practice because I knew I wasn't ready and there were no open spots to reschedule. It was definitely a tough exam. I've taken 3 TPR exams and I wouldn't say it was any easier even though people tout those as being much harder...but I guess that's why test companies make them harder on purpose right? Honestly though I'd say this test was 35% knowledge and 65% critical thinking/interpreting skills. Well sorta worried me because now I'm not entirely sure how to study, but I think you just have to stick to ur plan since the only thing you will control is your stamina, confidence, and nailing the knowledge based questions. I've spent a couple of months studying and honestly the graduate level developmental bio course I'm in helped me a ton with how to think and work through passages. I'm not suggesting to go read tons of scientific papers, but definitely practice tons of hard cp and bb passages.

It was my first time and i was pretty confident about c/p and b/b but yeah cars was annoying(toughest section). And pych/soc was harder than anticipated

I'm trying soooo hard to remember questions to google the answers but all thw questions are mixed in with the practice exams so idk which was on the exam and which was on the practice exams...

It was my first time and i was pretty confident about c/p and b/b but yeah cars was annoying(toughest section). And pych/soc was harder than anticipated

I feel that I'll have trouble with CARS on the actual exam as well. I'm satisfied with my scores on the other sections; just this annoying CARS is so hard to study for in so little time!

Did you finish the CARS section on time?

I feel that I'll have trouble with CARS on the actual exam as well. I'm satisfied with my scores on the other sections; just this annoying CARS is so hard to study for in so little time!

Did you finish the CARS section on time?
Honestly I'm not very strong in cars and I thought it was the easiest section and I usually kill the bio. Could have just been my test though

I started prepping in late May for my August exam and averaged 5-6 hours/day until August 22. Then bad things happened on test day. protip: research your test center before you pick it. I will say that much.

Was on five "MCAT Question of the Day" email lists for all of Fall semester and did them every day until my January 22 exam. Did not study during the year, but did take relevant courses (biophysical chem, physorg, chembio, biostats, also worked in a mol bio lab 15+ hours/week). Then went HAM for a month between finals and my exam, focused on P/S and the AAMC Section Banks/Tests.

Used all TBR books + TPR Psych/Soc + AP Psych flashcards from Kaplan + many random Chegg decks + Kaplan quick sheets + Khan Academy (mostly for P/S, a little bit for C/P and B/B) + the internet.

Your study schedule/plan depends highly on your personal background and experiences and should not be modeled precisely after any individual, though.
Thank you for the information. I am in the process of gathering all the information to create my own way of preparation. Best of luck with your score.

Do you guys know how to cancel exams? Like for future reference? If i decide i dont want to take it... I mean how do you get the refund? Is it automatically credited back to my card? Do i have to email/call the AAMC people?

Do you guys know how to cancel exams? Like for future reference? If i decide i dont want to take it... I mean how do you get the refund? Is it automatically credited back to my card? Do i have to email/call the AAMC people?

Login here to reschedule/cancel your test date: https://apps.aamc.org/account/#/log...s.aamc.org/20/mcat/portal&allowInternal=false

you only get refunded if you cancel before the Gold registration (approx 1 month or prior) deadline.
here is info on registration fees and refunds: https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/2015-mcat-registration-fees/

Here are the dates for the deadlines: https://students-residents.aamc.org...ool/article/2015-mcat-registration-deadlines/

I wonder how much of the MCAT is an IQ test? A lot of the biochem questions were really just understanding the experiment, and manipulating and analyzing data. Honestly you can't really study all that much for it, I mean if you are average intelligence you honestly can never do very well on those kind of questions.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see how our scores compare to the scored AAMC practice test, if you took it. The AAMC practice test seemed to include topics from everything, while my exam focused on one topic (biochem). So if the scores are similar, that would be in favor of the MCAT test developers. I scored a 515, but some of the passages on CARS seemed familiar. At the same time, I took the practice test a few weeks ago, and studied a lot of stuff since then. We'll see.

Every time I mention this people disagree with me. A very small portion of the exam is content based questions. Based on the recent changes AAMC has made on the Mcat, it seems that they're increasing the standard IQ of applicants they want. Maybe they're getting too many applications in recent years and are using the Mcat as a control.

Folks, this thread and other MCAT threads are monitored by AAMC staff for violations an pd they are being reported.

You are NOT allowed to post about specific topics covered by the exam or the specific types/ distribution of questions

Ex: "man there was a lot more physics than I was expecting" = OK

Ex: "man, i had a ton of optics questions, the x,y, x one really threw me. There were almost no pKa questions though"= not ok.

not exactly true... you can speak in generalities ... like:

mine had lots of physics 2, a little orgo, no biochem; definitely had to know equations and relationships
CARS: read a lot; long, dense passages, twisted "which is best" types of questions
BB: KNOW your biochem: AA's, pka's, enzymatic stuff; not a lot of physio. This is not really ok as it would give info in which topics were emphasized most.
PC: guess... seriously; know experimental stuff and how to interpret

ALL THAT type of feedback will not get you into trouble with AAMC, SDN or anyone else.

NOW, if you were to state:

My first passage had to do with electrophysio balancing of ions with interrelated kinematics related to MRI tests and CT scans polarizing the channels where a student performed a test cross in a beta hemolytic cell...

THAT is troublesome. And would get some raised eyebrows if not investigations.

Reactions: 1 users
Folks, this thread and other MCAT threads are monitored by AAMC staff for violations an pd they are being reported.

You are NOT allowed to post about specific topics covered by the exam or the specific types/ distribution of questions

Ex: "man, i had a ton of optics questions, the x,y, x one really threw me. There were almost no pKa questions though"= not ok.

Um not I don't want to burst people's bubble but doesn't aamc explicitly say that there is no curve? The test is standardized, which means that they decide and adjust the scoring before anyone takes it right? I might be wrong, but I know they say that it isn't technically curved

OT about the actual exam. I took it as a practice because I knew I wasn't ready and there were no open spots to reschedule. It was definitely a tough exam. I've taken 3 TPR exams and I wouldn't say it was any easier even though people tout those as being much harder...but I guess that's why test companies make them harder on purpose right? Honestly though I'd say this test was 35% knowledge and 65% critical thinking/interpreting skills. Well sorta worried me because now I'm not entirely sure how to study, but I think you just have to stick to ur plan since the only thing you will control is your stamina, confidence, and nailing the knowledge based questions. I've spent a couple of months studying and honestly the graduate level developmental bio course I'm in helped me a ton with how to think and work through passages. I'm not suggesting to go read tons of scientific papers, but definitely practice tons of hard cp and bb passages.

bro quit bursting my bubble but curved was just a bad synonym for normalized lol

Where do I get these section banks?

Google aamc mcat resources or aamc mcat bundle. There's a bundle of all the resources they've released. I would link it but for some reason it's not letting me do it on my phone.

2 exams, section bank, and set of questions from their old material.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone want to pair up and go through the AAMC section bank? The answer explanations are so bad..

how long before the test do you recommend taking AAMC sample and AAMC Scored?
Use the FL to gauge your content over using the thing to predict your score. Remember, the real test will have content not tested on the sample, so use it to gauge your knowledge on content and not to predict your score. Because of this, take it whenever you are ready. Some people take it days before the real thing, others take it months before their test.
It's overrated in my opinion to base your score off of what you get on the real thing because this test has an important factor: confidence. Those who score well on practice tests will feel the real test is going to be easy to get a good score on, which is a great attitude to have. Those who don't do so well define themselves on their low score and feel like they are not ready; they stumble when they see a passage that looks difficult and suddenly everything they thought they knew goes down the drain and confirms their preexisting negative attitude (it happened to me).
This test is confidence and critical thinking over everything else.

Hate this test got pushed back: I have a 10 page proposal paper due on Feb. 4th, a 14 minute proposal presentation on Feb. 4th, and a quiz on Monday. It's going to be a busy weekend.

Hi all,

I'm just curious, and would especially love to obtain the input of those who took the new exam multiple times, how similar are EK's and Gold Standard's Full Length Practice Exams to the real thing/is it adequate enough preparation? I didn't use them for the new exam, but for the old exam, I used EK and was VERY disappointed. I guess from my background, I was looking for something a little more thorough and EK seemed like a quick digest version of the MCAT. Even their answer explanations seemed like, "obviously C is the answer and this is high yield blah blah blah..." I'm sure to some, it was excellent prep, but I wanted to know the little details when I learn. I just wanted to know if they are an investment to make should I take the MCAT again, considering the dearth of practice tests out there.

Hi all,

I'm just curious, and would especially love to obtain the input of those who took the new exam multiple times, how similar are EK's and Gold Standard's Full Length Practice Exams to the real thing/is it adequate enough preparation? I didn't use them for the new exam, but for the old exam, I used EK and was VERY disappointed. I guess from my background, I was looking for something a little more thorough and EK seemed like a quick digest version of the MCAT. Even their answer explanations seemed like, "obviously C is the answer and this is high yield blah blah blah..." I'm sure to some, it was excellent prep, but I wanted to know the little details when I learn. I just wanted to know if they are an investment to make should I take the MCAT again, considering the dearth of practice tests out there.
Buy the two AAMC FLs, the Section Bank, and the Q banks. This should be plenty enough to get practice in high quality content.

I just took the new NS test that was released and scored significantly lower than I had on the previous 5.... I felt so ready before the 23rd and now feel like I am forgetting stuff more and more every day :( f*ck the blizzard man

I just took the new NS test that was released and scored significantly lower than I had on the previous 5.... I felt so ready before the 23rd and now feel like I am forgetting stuff more and more every day :( f*ck the blizzard man

dude literally feel the same way.. I've been so unproductive the past 3 days. I feel like even the stuff I previously knew I don't know very well anymore :/

Best advice I can give as a 1/23 taker:

Honestly, anyone who is about to take the MCAT, STOP READING/checking THIS SITE. Use an app to help you block SDN until after your test dude. I made the mistake of being curious and checking this forum right before my 1/23 date and read some really anxiety-inducing posts the night before (e.g., "I got a 523 on the scored FL and the real one was like it was written in a different language!!"). Trust me, it does NOT help.

Buuuuuuuut I know you're going to keep reading anyway, so here's my two cents, etc.

Background: I took all 11 Kaplan full lengths, AAMC Official Guide, and both AAMC full lengths. I did a lot of the Kaplan PBQs, some (maybe three) Q-bank quizzes, and some of the Khan Academy ones. I glanced through, but did not answer, the Behavioral Sciences Question Pack released by AAMC because I wanted just to see if Kaplan's questions were similar or not. I found that there is a high degree of similarity between AAMC and Kaplan psych/sociology.

Relative difficulty of Kaplan vs. AAMC FLs vs. real thing:

- AAMC sample FL and the scored FL are the easiest out of all the FLs I’ve taken by far (including the actual test). I took them last, the unscored FL on Tuesday, the scored FL on Thursday, and my test was on Saturday.

- Kaplan tests are very convoluted (way more so than AAMC tests in my opinion), but they train your mind to be able to do all those logical somersaults (which of these is LEAST likely to NOT support the CRITICS of the author's main argument AGAINST xyz...) etc. so that the AAMC ones seem like a breeze.

General advice:

- the MCAT is a critical thinking test! It tests your stamina, your ability to prioritize (aka skip what you don't know), your ability to reason, to distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information, your ability to be PRECISE and not make careless mistakes (I increased my scores by 10% once I started recognizing common pitfalls and types of questions that I most often make careless mistakes on), and FINALLY, after all that, it tests your content knowledge. Seriously. Of course everything on the official released outline is fair game, but being an excellent critical thinker, training physically for the length of and cognitive acuity needed for the test, and maintaining emotional balance throughout the whole ordeal will carry you very far.

- BE AWARE I’ve heard of premed gunners purposefully saying scary things about the MCAT in order to psych out other takers in hopes of bringing up their own score. Not saying anyone on this site is doing so, but like we learned in the group psychology blah blah, stop feeding on each other’s negativity! It doesn’t do anyone any good.

- Finally, my general impression of the test was that it was very fair. No huge surprises considering the AAMC has already told you what topics are going to be on there. And yes, it’s difficult! In my opinion, the level of critical thinking necessary for the actual test = what I encountered in Kaplan tests, with more fairly and clearly stated question stems (e.g., if you had to take 4 logical steps to deduce a Kaplan answer, usually AAMC tests only require 1 or 2). That being said, this isn’t the SAT for high-schoolers! Of course this test will be extremely challenging. This is the ONE test that med schools rely on to be able to help them decide a bottom cut-off and I think the questions I saw served their purpose well. (I think of it like a marathon--is it hard? YES. Can most people run 26 miles in under 6 hours, or even at all? NO. But is it this alien impossible hurdle that no one can accomplish? Absolutely not! If you trained right, and if you trained smart, you WILL get the results you wanted--with VERY few exceptions.)

- How I stayed calm throughout the whole testing ordeal:
1) Prepared everything the night before in advance. My lunch, my water, my clothes, checked to make sure I had gas, etc. I even visited the site the day before to make sure I knew how to get there. NOTE: This is unusual for me. I'm the person who barely makes it through the gate at the airport before the plane takes off, but this is something I did, not out of nerves, but because I know this is something I care about.
2) Slept a full 8 hours. I am a crazy night owl. The week preceding my exam I followed a sleep regimen religiously, never took naps during the day, and woke up at 6 AM.
3) TURNED OFF SOCIAL MEDIA. My phone was on airplane mode for pretty much 90% of the two weeks leading up to my exam. I uninstalled all social media apps from my phone and I used "StayFocused" for "Chrome to block Facebook, etc. on my laptop.
4) Breathing techniques I learned in yoga :) I actively exhale and passively inhale (opposite of negative pressure breathing) to help me focus.
5) STAYED AWAY FROM ALL THE OTHER PREMEDS at the testing center. People were complaining, freaking out, etc. etc. etc. while we were waiting outside the test center (which was late in opening its doors) and I stayed the eff away from all that ish. If talking to others helps you calm down, go for it--but honestly it seems more likely that you'll encounter negativity rather than any constructive conversation.

I know I'll get questions on this so here's my stats:

Kaplan Diagnostic: 508 (127 all)

Kaplan FL scores: 509, 509, 514, 511, 517, 515, 517, 514, 516, 515, 515 (average percentages: 78% / 87% / 87% /78%)

AAMC FL unscored: 93% 94% 98% 85%

AAMC FL scored: 524 (131/131/132/130)

In case you were wondering, I graduated biology/neuroscience in 2013, did something completely unrelated to science for the past two years, and now work in research. I have not taken physics/math since 2012 and I have never taken any psych/sociology courses. I "started studying" for the MCAT in October but I work ~60-80 hours a week and only had time to study in earnest for the two weeks leading up to my exam.

Best of luck to all future MCAT takers and please be good to yourself and devote your time to doing something other than freaking out! <3

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users