The Official January 23, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a thread for the last ever test day of the current MCAT. I'm dreading studying but I should probably start soon. Who else is taking this day?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey yeah so my strategy is a little different, I started out not great on random passages I'd practice with and it was discouraging so I realized I was inferring way too much and not using just what was in the passage. That helped a ton and then I started trying to focus on the main idea when I read it and I am doing decently now. That's pretty much my only strategy I read the passage somewhat thouroughly just one time and then answer the questions while keeping the main idea in mind. On this last one I just did, the questions I missed (got 34/40) I had changed my answer. Every single one! So also I'd say go with gut feeling.
I know it's not some magic thing but if I get a 10/11 on the real deal I'd be thrilled!

Finals + MCAT =
george-michael.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is planning on cancelling their seat, I would really appreciate it if they private message me. I need a seat for January. Thank you so much.

Took my first diagnostic AAMC since starting to study in late October.

A little background: I was actually scheduled to take the April 5th MCAT earlier this year but panicked and cancelled because after two months of hard studying I only managed to scored a 25 on AAMC 4 (8/9/8) which was barely an improvement from the 24 I scored on AAMC 3 (8/9/7) without any studying.

Just took AAMC 5 today and scored a fully balanced 30 (10/10/10).

There is definite room for improvement but I'm happy beyond comprehension to finally see a 30... a 32+ doesn't feel like a far-fetched dream anymore :banana:

PS I've completely abandoned studying for Verbal. I've done about 12 practice passages in the last 1.5 months and just cannot see any value in practicing besides broadening my general knowledge of various subjects making it easier to comprehend a similar passage... should I even be so lucky to see one on the real MCAT.

A little background: I was actually scheduled to take the April 5th MCAT earlier this year but panicked and cancelled because after two months of hard studying I only managed to scored a 25 on AAMC 4 (8/9/8) which was barely an improvement from the 24 I scored on AAMC 3 (8/9/7) without any studying.

There is definite room for improvement but I'm happy beyond comprehension to finally see a 30... a 32+ doesn't feel like a far-fetched dream anymore :banana:

PS I've completely abandoned studying for Verbal. I've done about 12 practice passages in the last 1.5 months and just cannot see any value in practicing besides broadening my general knowledge of various subjects making it easier to comprehend a similar passage... should I even be so lucky to see one on the real MCAT.

In a similar situation but can't reschedule b/c new 2015 mcat. What did you do differently this time around when studying that you didn't do when studying before?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a little behind on my schedule due to grad school but still trucking along. Spent the last few weeks doing Gen Chem and Physics because that's my weakest spot. Finals coming next week..then I'll spend the last 4 works doing FLs and practicing verbal.

Good luck guys, we've got this!

Nice! 2+ points in 6+ weeks sounds highly doable to me.

Last edited:
In a similar situation but can't reschedule b/c new 2015 mcat. What did you do differently this time around when studying that you didn't do when studying before?

To be honest I think the fact that it's my second time studying which has made the most difference. I've been able to pick up the material super quickly this time around (feels like muscle memory for your mind). I just know the content much better at this point.

Otherwise the only major difference this time around is I used ANKI to house my passage mistakes. I alternate between redoing my mistakes in ANKI and completing new passages and post-gaming.

To be honest I think the fact that it's my second time studying which has made the most difference. I've been able to pick up the material super quickly this time around (feels like muscle memory for your mind). I just know the content much better at this point.

Otherwise the only major difference this time around is I used ANKI to house my passage mistakes. I alternate between redoing my mistakes in ANKI and completing new passages and post-gaming.
Have you been doing passages? How many have you done per chapter Sounds like you moved through the books quickly? I have finished CHEM and orgo and I will finish bio and physics this week and I'm kinda concerned if doing 3-4 passages per chapter is too little.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm officially joining you guys! Just rescheduled from earlier in January. I was lucky to snag a spot in the 0.003 seconds they were available :) I'm glad to get a bit of extra study time, but I'm totally paranoid that they're gonna give us a hard one to stick it to the last group of pre-2015ers who just HAD to take the old MCAT :) Even though rationally I know they are professionals, and professionals don't do that.

Have you been doing passages? How many have you done per chapter Sounds like you moved through the books quickly? I have finished CHEM and orgo and I will finish bio and physics this week and I'm kinda concerned if doing 3-4 passages per chapter is too little.

For the last 2 weeks or so leading up to AAMC 5 I've only been doing passages; 3-4 passages per chapter but 3-5 chapters per day. I had also been using ANKI to redo my mistakes and constantly reviewing PS and BS from AAMC 3 & 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm officially joining you guys! Just rescheduled from earlier in January. I was lucky to snag a spot in the 0.003 seconds they were available :) I'm glad to get a bit of extra study time, but I'm totally paranoid that they're gonna give us a hard one to stick it to the last group of pre-2015ers who just HAD to take the old MCAT :) Even though rationally I know they are professionals, and professionals don't do that.

This :( I have a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach that they will based on the responses from the other test date threads. It could have just been their nerves talking as well. Like when I take a course's practice exams and then the real one feels scary and different but if I studied for it I would do well. Hoping this is the case for the MCAT, but the way I am worrying, I am going to get stomach ulcers lol. 6 weeks is not enough!! *cries*

My name is Ruth. I hope we can get a nice community thing going here for support and motivation :) Since positive thinking can get you far when used realistically.

Man. TPRH verbal is a roller coaster for me. I will do well on 3 consecutive passages...hit ~7 minutes, and miss maybe 1 question.

Then. I'll get owned... long passages, long questions, with long answer choices. They take me 10-12 minutes. and I'm lucky if I get 50%.

Last edited:
Completed Physics SA
This :( I have a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach that they will based on the responses from the other test date threads. It could have just been their nerves talking as well. Like when I take a course's practice exams and then the real one feels scary and different but if I studied for it I would do well. Hoping this is the case for the MCAT, but the way I am worrying, I am going to get stomach ulcers lol. 6 weeks is not enough!! *cries*

My name is Ruth. I hope we can get a nice community thing going here for support and motivation :) Since positive thinking can get you far when used realistically.

lol... I have a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach about the computer not working properly on test day.

Welcome!

Man. TPRH verbal is a roller coaster for me. I will do well on 3 consecutive passages...hit ~7 minutes, and miss maybe 1 question.

Then. I'll get owned... long passages, long questions, with long answer choices. They take me 10-12 minutes. and I'm lucky if I get 50%.

This is how AAMC 4 Verbal went for me.

First few passages I got 0-1 wrong. Did not pay attention to time for some reason and left myself 8 minutes for the last two passages. Bombed them lol.

Completed Physical Chemistry SA's.

Physics- 73%
Chemistry- 82%

According to some info I gathered on SDN ~75% on SA's correlates to a 10 which is exactly what I got on AAMC 5.

I'm having more faith in how standardized the MCAT really is...

@TheRhymenocerous how did you score on the SA's if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
This is how AAMC 4 Verbal went for me.

First few passages I got 0-1 wrong. Did not pay attention to time for some reason and left myself 8 minutes for the last two passages. Bombed them lol.

I thought aamc4 VR was ridiculously difficult compared to aamc 3,5, and 7.

I've only taken 3, 4, and 5 but I agree.

I redid VR on those exams without reviewing them and here are my scores from it.. aamc3: 6 increased to 10, aamc 4: 2 increased to 4 (ridiculously difficult for me for some reason), aamc 7: 5 increased to 9, didn't redo aamc5 VR yet.

edit: each redo I am implementing different strategies and think I finally found the one that works best for me. Also, the first attempt at aamc4 I tried to guess based on question stem and looking back to passage without fully reading the entire passage (dumb idea from a strategy I read about).

I redid VR on those exams without reviewing them and here are my scores from it.. aamc3: 6 increased to 10, aamc 4: 2 increased to 4 (ridiculously difficult for me for some reason), aamc 7: 5 increased to 9, didn't redo aamc5 VR yet.

edit: each redo I am implementing different strategies and think I finally found the one that works best for me. Also, the first attempt at aamc4 I tried to guess based on question stem and looking back to passage without fully reading the entire passage (dumb idea from a strategy I read about).

If I were you I would apply these new strategies to new sets of passages from TPRH Verbal if you have it and see how you do.

I'm sure it's a mix of different strategy and familiarity that increased your scores--but hard to tell how much or how little of each.

What was the strategy that you find works for you? So far...the more time I spend reading the passage, the more I seem to get questions wrong since I overanalyze WAYYYY too much. Somehow, the less time I spend reading the passage (aka a quick read through without focusing on details), I get more questions right but tend to suffer on some of the detail specific questions.

If I were you I would apply these new strategies to new sets of passages from TPRH Verbal if you have it and see how you do.

I'm sure it's a mix of different strategy and familiarity that increased your scores--but hard to tell how much or how little of each.

Yeh I agree, confidence boost though!

What was the strategy that you find works for you? So far...the more time I spend reading the passage, the more I seem to get questions wrong since I overanalyze WAYYYY too much. Somehow, the less time I spend reading the passage (aka a quick read through without focusing on details), I get more questions right but tend to suffer on some of the detail specific questions.

Same here but in regards to answering questions instead of reading. I was overanalyzing the question stem...so the strategy I'm doing now is spending 5-6mins reading the passage at an absurdly slow rate, and then go to questions and answer first gut instinct that relates to the main idea by spending only a brief amount of time on each question.

Completed Physical Chemistry SA's.

Physics- 73%
Chemistry- 82%

According to some info I gathered on SDN ~75% on SA's correlates to a 10 which is exactly what I got on AAMC 5.

I'm having more faith in how standardized the MCAT really is...

@TheRhymenocerous how did you score on the SA's if you don't mind me asking?
Not at all! I got 88% on general chemistry, 85% on biology, and 80% on both physics and organic chem. I haven't taken o chem II or physics II, so I was pretty relieved those numbers weren't even lower. I haven't done the verbal one yet.

I just finished finals, so I'm kicking it into high gear now...will be interested to see how I do on my next practice test. I think a huge number of my errors on AAMC 3 were due to nerves, so hopefully that will be less of an issue going forward.

Last edited:
Not at all! I got 88% on general chemistry, 85% on biology, and 80% on both physics and organic chem. I haven't taken o chem II or physics II, so I was pretty relieved those numbers weren't even lower. I haven't done the verbal one yet.

I just finished finals, so I'm kicking it into high gear now...will be interested to see how I do on my next practice test. I think a huge number of my errors on AAMC 3 were due to nerves, so hopefully that will be less of an issue going forward.

Nice! Just finished Bio and got 79%. Devoured each SA separately but in a single sitting so I got very lazy near the end of each one and payed for it. Overall happy though.

I'm going to take the Verbal SA in blocks of 4 timed passages ~32 minutes/block followed by a 30 min break. I'm eager to try a new strategy (Draupadi method) which is actually similar to what I've been doing for the Sciences but it never occurred to me to try it with VR. Gonna start taking VR seriously.

Excited to see how the next practice test plays out. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised! :luck:

Nice! Just finished Bio and got 79%. Devoured each SA separately but in a single sitting so I got very lazy near the end of each one and payed for it. Overall happy though.

I'm going to take the Verbal SA in blocks of 4 timed passages ~32 minutes/block followed by a 30 min break. I'm eager to try a new strategy (Draupadi method) which is actually similar to what I've been doing for the Sciences but it never occurred to me to try it with VR. Gonna start taking VR seriously.

Excited to see how the next practice test plays out. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised! :luck:

Can you explain the Draupadi method?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/verbsies-the-draupadi-method.1099968/

Saree wrote a very detailed primer. I've tried reading it, but there is a lot of superfluous information in there so I gave up on the method. I wish she would have gotten more to the heart of things like fallacies and the basics of logic without the details. I'm sure for someone who is very capable of logic and fast cognitive thinking, that is an extremely great resource, but since I'm just starting out, I can't make good use of it.

I've always been pretty skeptical of verbal "strategies." All it really boils down to is that you need to read the passage and answer the questions. Focusing on anything more than that is, in my opinion, a waste of time and mental energy. Admittedly, I was an English major and don't have too much trouble with verbal, but I think a lot of people struggling with verbal really want a magic bullet strategy that'll instantly help them do better. But no such thing exists. I was curious about the strategy you posted, so I just read it. Or rather, skimmed it...very dense. I'm not gonna knock it if it works for her, but I couldn't really get a sense for what her actual strategy was, beyond reading the questions first, reading closely, and considering each answer choice carefully, turning to process of elimination when necessary. Most of the document is just definitions of things that, I think, distract from the task at hand. But that's just me, so if someone else can explain the strategy, by all means chime in.

I've always been pretty skeptical of verbal "strategies." All it really boils down to is that you need to read the passage and answer the questions. Focusing on anything more than that is, in my opinion, a waste of time and mental energy. Admittedly, I was an English major and don't have too much trouble with verbal, but I think a lot of people struggling with verbal really want a magic bullet strategy that'll instantly help them do better. But no such thing exists. I was curious about the strategy you posted, so I just read it. Or rather, skimmed it...very dense. I'm not gonna knock it if it works for her, but I couldn't really get a sense for what her actual strategy was, beyond reading the questions first, reading closely, and considering each answer choice carefully, turning to process of elimination when necessary. Most of the document is just definitions of things that, I think, distract from the task at hand. But that's just me, so if someone else can explain the strategy, by all means chime in.
100% agree. One of my biggest mistakes was submitting to a well marketed verbal strategy such as TPRs. I feel like taking a more naturalistic approach such as reading for the main idea and being able to take that and answer each question with that and the authors POV in mind. Just keep drilling hard, I feel like all a score can do is go up.

I agree. There is just way too much superfluous information in there. Her last section is probably the most helpful and even that has a lot of too much information. Bless her heart, she is a great writer and knows how to read that is for sure but it is not good for my average Jane self!

so i've been reading the tips from 30+ scorers and a lot of people are saying things like "build your stamina"
do you guys feel like you've got the stamina down?
literally, i had a stopwatch today to see how much productive studying i got done, stopping it any time i did anything not mcat related, and i only worked 3.5 hours :oops:.

*shrieks*

i'm not even going to sleep until i study some more. i get distracted sooo easily. how tf do i survive in school tbho_O

I'm a retaker from August 15th. Did okay but would like to increase my score by at least 3 points. Now that finals are over I'll be devoting most of my time to MCAT prep. I want to nail down physics (my weakest area) and then take a boat load of practice tests leading up to the real deal. Good luck everyone!

Took my first TBR exam this morning. I thought the science sections were really good for anyone looking for non-official practice tests!

Was taking my first practice test yesterday, aamc 3 and on passage 6 of verbal, I was at my moms office cause it can be super quiet Friday afternoons, anyways my mom comes in and my initial reaction was extreme annoyance until she tells me my grandma fell and we have to go take her to the hospital and I felt horrible for being mad! She broke her wrist but otherwise in good shape, my 89 year old grandma had a reduction done and didn't shed a tear. Talked about how she is upset she can't write her xmas cards or wrap presents!

Then I finished the test today, although not ideal conditions and broken up into 2 sittings, I got a 30. 9,12,9 and I am pretty happy considering I was hoping for a 25 or over on this first one. And I did it at my grandparents' and they said they would be quiet but weren't at all lol. So now I am going to go over it extensively, and start the AAMC SAs on Monday. Good start but I need to get this up a few points since I have a somewhat lower gpa (around 3.5-3.6 depending on grades this semester). TX res though so that helps! Anyways, happy studying everyone!!!!

I know its very late but I just signed up for this exam. Im going to work my butt off and hope for the best. Retaking a 25 and I think I can pull it off with 5.5 weeks. Some of you may think Im crazy for even attempting but I cant let up an opportunity to try one last time

Tbh the main takeaway for me that I've been doing for the sciences (mostly PS) which I wasn't doing for VR was just reading the questions first. It takes 20 seconds, but when I read the questions first I get a great feel for the difficulty level of the passage right away and I'm much more confident moving forward.

This is compared to reading the passage first--which sometimes just bogs me down by making me focus on all the difficult unnecessary filler. For example, in one passage on the SA's they had a complicated circuit where they overload you with electronic circuit figures (resistance, volts, current, magnetism, etc)... only for the questions to end up dealing with basic kinematic/translational motion lol. Had I not read the questions first, I would have spent way more time then necessary trying to understand the passage in it's entirety.

I'm hoping I can reap the same benefits from VR. We'll see.

My birthday was this weekend so I have literally been drunk off my ass for 3 days straight :horns:

Studying for the MCAT the last 1.5 months has been driving me a little crazy, making me paranoid, cynical, and anti-social, neglecting my friends and depriving me of my beloved social life and relationships which make me happy.

My reality--my focusing on destroying the MCAT, gaining acceptance into medical school, and becoming a doctor has become so real and entrenched in my minds eye that it's all I see, all I focus on, and all I take solace in. This absolutely does not mean I am hyper-motivated... it means I am stressing the f*ck out over such a fleeting moment on the grandiose cosmological timescale of the universe, which is my life, that any rational and scientific human being would find laughable due to the impermanent nature of my existence.

For those of you, like me, who have wrongly been putting so much emphasis on all this insanity and allowing stress to envelope you in it's comfortably depressing canopy, remember:

"The world is a passing phenomenon. We all belong to the world of time. Every written word, every carved stone, every painted picture, the structure of civilization, every generation of man, vanishes away like the leaves and flowers of forgotten summers."

In the end, nobody will even be around to care if you got into medical school or not lol

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

/rant

My birthday was this weekend so I have literally been drunk off my ass for 3 days straight :horns:

Studying for the MCAT the last 1.5 months has been driving me a little crazy, making me paranoid, cynical, and anti-social, neglecting my friends and depriving me of my beloved social life and relationships which make me happy.

My reality--my focusing on destroying the MCAT, gaining acceptance into medical school, and becoming a doctor has become so real and entrenched in my minds eye that it's all I see, all I focus on, and all I take solace in. This absolutely does not mean I am hyper-motivated... it means I am stressing the f*ck out over such a fleeting moment on the grandiose cosmological timescale of the universe, which is my life, that any rational and scientific human being would find laughable due to the impermanent nature of my existence.

For those of you, like me, who have wrongly been putting so much emphasis on all this insanity and allowing stress to envelope you in it's comfortably depressing canopy, remember:

"The world is a passing phenomenon. We all belong to the world of time. Every written word, every carved stone, every painted picture, the structure of civilization, every generation of man, vanishes away like the leaves and flowers of forgotten summers."

In the end, nobody will even be around to care if you got into medical school or not lol

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

/rant

This is the truth man. Amen.

Hey is anyone considering dropping the Jan. 23rd spot in Ontario or Quebec (or even New York)? I'm just getting a little desperate here as I won't be flying back to Canada until Jan 17th due to some personal circumstances and right now I'm scheduled for a Jan. 10th MCAT. :(

Really starting to freak out since I've been studying since the semester started and just want to get the old one over it, but realize I may now potentially have to write the new one this summer if I can't get a spot.

If anyone could help me out you would have my deepest gratitude forever!

Last edited:
ayy everyone :cigar:
Took a nice, long break after finals but Im also signed up for this date, gotta kick it into high gear
Weve got like 3 weeks left right? Im going to start studying for the MCATS today
I bought all of the AAMS tests so Im going to take one and see how I do
Gl all :luck:
cool emote lol :luck::luck::luck:

Haha there's like 6 weeks if you count this week...you have time!

<-- Re-taker here.

Bombed my real MCAT in September, now I'm getting back into studying. Been doing some content review the last couple days and took my first practice test which was AAMC 3R. Was really hoping for a 30 on my first one back, but got a 28. I'm pretty happy I didn't fall off too far from what I was averaging before.

Hoping to make one the best re-take comebacks of all time!

How's everyone else doing?

If any one is giving up their seat for Jan 23rd in the South Florida area please please PM me before doing so. I am in desperate need for a seat. Thanks and happy studying to all.

If any one is giving up their seat for Jan 23rd in the South Florida area please please PM me before doing so. I am in desperate need for a seat. Thanks and happy studying to all.

Hey try looking for seats real late at night or in the early morning! A bunch of people were dropping seats then (maybe trying to trade?) and I finally managed to snag one near my place. I'm sure more people will start to drop near the deadline too which I think is Dec. 24 or 25 for the 23rd date.

What's up guys...I'm in with you all. I previously planned for Dec but I was behind in my studies and I finally grabbed a seat for this date in morning. Although it's about 6 hours away lol...

Well, I scored a 34 on my first two TBR full lengths, so I'm hoping my goal of 36+ is within reach! Their bio section is killing me though. Any recommendations for bio practice? Passages, strategies, content review...anything! I'm finding that to be the hardest section to study for.

Last edited:
Well, I scored a 34 on my first two TBR full lengths, so I'm hoping my goal of 36+ is within reach! Their bio section is killing me though. Any recommendations for bio practice? Passages, strategies, content review...anything! I'm finding that to be the hardest section to study for.

Nice! I heard people generally score 2-3 lower than they do on their AAMC practice tests...How long have you been studying for and what has helped you the most?