The Official January 8th, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alteredstate213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!!!
Retaker here, I'm officially starting to study today using SN2ed's four month schedule! I was going to use Princeton Review and BR for tests since I've exhausted the AAMC and GoldStandard tests.

148 days left! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be joining you!

I'm not a retaker but I am a rescheduler! lol I was scheduled for August 7th, wasn't hitting my target score, scheduled for August 27th, still not hitting my target score so I'm gonna push it on out.

I've just finished the 3-month SN2ed schedule so I'm kinda in an awkward situation. We have the whole fall semester so I'll definitely be re-reading through all TBR chapters...
In addition, I'll be ordering all TBR FLs when they come available December 15th.

Looking forward to keeping in touch through the semester and keep motivated!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Im doing this too.... Don't really have a schedule but I am essentially modifying SN2ed's. I have 65 tasks to complete (ex: BR chapter + 1/3, re-read 5 chapters, do second 1/3 for 5 chapters, etc) and I will try to complete them whenever I have time away from school. Then Ill do full lengths and brush up for the 20 days I'll have over Christmas break 10 hrs/day in preparation.

Reactions: 1 users
I was thinking about supplementing the SN2-ed's schedule with the 10 week EK schedule, do you guys think that would be too much considering classes start soon?

Members don't see this ad :)
doing SN2ed properly takes most people 4-10 hrs a day. TBR books have more then enough info (more info then EK) and SN2ed includes 1001s so I don't quite see the point.

Hello! I am taking the MCAT for the first time on this date as well. I am using Chad's Videos and TPR's "Cracking the MCAT 2014" to review all of the concepts, as well as EK 101 for verbal, then going to drill EK 1001 physics and general chem questions before doing the AAMC tests. I want to use the Berkeley review, but I am Canadian which makes things a little more difficult. I plan to only take this thing once! Any advice for managing an MCAT study schedule during the school year?

Just finished the first day of SN2ED's 4 month plan today, as well as classes. Giving myself a few buffer days to account for any schoolwork that may be time consuming. Here's to hoping this semester turns out alright!

I'm also scheduled for Jan 8th, I've scheduled/cancelled/rescheduled this test more times than I can count so I'm all in on this one. I'll be doing EK + Chad for content review for about 2 months, then switching to all practice tests + review for the last two. Non-trad working full time, so it'll be busy but manageable I think.

Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only one who can't find any info on this test?? My pre-med neurotic-ism is at an all time high. All I can find is the stuff from AAMC and this website www.mcat2015prep.org

It was nice knowing you all,
Cheers mates

based on the link you posted I think you might be confused. The MCAT given in January of 2015 is NOT the new version

i am taking it on the 13th but maybe I'm on the wrong thread? lol started sn2ed 3 month schedule this week, modifying to take more AAMC and GS exams at the end, and to take more time for content review as needed.

Hi guys, I am in real need for some serious advice. I started studying for my MCAT during the summer this year. It was scheduled for writing it on the 6th of September but then by August I realized I wasn't doing great in Verbal and needed some serious practice to increase my scores. So I decided to buy myself some more time and re-scheduled it for November. Then, I basically took a few days off studying and then school was about to start so I got caught up with school work, research and other extra curricular activities. I have been taking only four courses this semester to make time to study for my MCAT and my courses are not too hard. I do have time to study during the week but I feel like I have been neglecting my courses a bit and am not caught up with my lecture material. I started studying again this week and I basically have about 5 weeks until the test day. I don't know how my Verbal scores are at the moment and I also realized that I forgot most things I learnt, so need to spend a week reviewing everything again. :( I don't know if it would be better for me to write it in January so I have more time to space everything out and be confident in all the sections or if I should just try my best and write it in November and re-write in January if needed.

However, the my concern with writing it in November is that I might not be very well prepared and I might do bad on my midterms by focusing more on MCAT. Marks are equally as important too. Moreover, sometimes you might end up with a low score in one of the sections and good score on the others and when you re-write, you might not do as well on the sections you did well the first time. I don't want that to happen either. I honestly don't know what to do at the moment. On the other hand, if I write it in January, I will basically not be able to give myself another chance to write the old MCAT, in case I screw up, but I think I will definitely be more confident by then. Having said that, I did buy myself some time to study when I re-scheduled my test to November but I think I was just burnt out, so didn't bother to study until this week. :( So I don't know if buying myself some time is really what I need. What should I do, guys? Should I just do as much preparation as I can and write the November MCAT and see what happens or should I be more confident in my skills and abilities and write the Jan MCAT? I really want to avoid writing the new one as much as possible. Please give me some advice. I would be tremendously grateful. If someone is in a similar situation, please do share some of your thoughts.

Thanks. <3

Members don't see this ad :)
Planning on taking 32 FL exams till test day,following USS Defiant Capt Sisko and Spinach Dip Method.Starting my first FL this Saturday....

Retaker here. My weaknesses lie in physics and gchem because I took them so long ago and don't remember much. I'm using TPR books to review concepts and the science workbook to drill problems. Verbal is good for me so I'm just going to do passages here and there to maintain timing. For bio, I need to work on biochem and respiratory/digestive systems.

January seems like so long away, but I'm trying to keep my head down and study like it's in a couple weeks!

Hi guys, I am in real need for some serious advice. I started studying for my MCAT during the summer this year. It was scheduled for writing it on the 6th of September but then by August I realized I wasn't doing great in Verbal and needed some serious practice to increase my scores. So I decided to buy myself some more time and re-scheduled it for November. Then, I basically took a few days off studying and then school was about to start so I got caught up with school work, research and other extra curricular activities. I have been taking only four courses this semester to make time to study for my MCAT and my courses are not too hard. I do have time to study during the week but I feel like I have been neglecting my courses a bit and am not caught up with my lecture material. I started studying again this week and I basically have about 5 weeks until the test day. I don't know how my Verbal scores are at the moment and I also realized that I forgot most things I learnt, so need to spend a week reviewing everything again. :( I don't know if it would be better for me to write it in January so I have more time to space everything out and be confident in all the sections or if I should just try my best and write it in November and re-write in January if needed.

However, the my concern with writing it in November is that I might not be very well prepared and I might do bad on my midterms by focusing more on MCAT. Marks are equally as important too. Moreover, sometimes you might end up with a low score in one of the sections and good score on the others and when you re-write, you might not do as well on the sections you did well the first time. I don't want that to happen either. I honestly don't know what to do at the moment. On the other hand, if I write it in January, I will basically not be able to give myself another chance to write the old MCAT, in case I screw up, but I think I will definitely be more confident by then. Having said that, I did buy myself some time to study when I re-scheduled my test to November but I think I was just burnt out, so didn't bother to study until this week. :( So I don't know if buying myself some time is really what I need. What should I do, guys? Should I just do as much preparation as I can and write the November MCAT and see what happens or should I be more confident in my skills and abilities and write the Jan MCAT? I really want to avoid writing the new one as much as possible. Please give me some advice. I would be tremendously grateful. If someone is in a similar situation, please do share some of your thoughts.

Thanks. <3

Relax. I am in the same position, I assume you are applying to DO schools or only MD? Jan MCAT will still be the same administration according to the AAMC site, the new 2015 exam cycle begins April I believe. But I do know Jan, atleastht he 8th is still the current MCAT.

Hi guys, I'll be joining you!!! Using TBR!! I have a question, do you do the questions/passages in the back of the chapters timed?

Whoo! Someone created this thread for me. :) I'm a retaker. Third time is the charm, right?

Honestly, though, I didn't really study for the other two times. What study plans/materials are you guys using? I'm doing the SN2 3-month plan with some grace days figured in so I can have a Christmas break. Everyone doing alright?

@katiebananas, I usually don't do them timed, but that's only because I know from experience that I can get through the BS and PS sections with time to spare. I try to focus more on learning from the questions than rushing through them and making careless mistakes.

Whoo! Someone created this thread for me. :) I'm a retaker. Third time is the charm, right?

Honestly, though, I didn't really study for the other two times. What study plans/materials are you guys using? I'm doing the SN2 3-month plan with some grace days figured in so I can have a Christmas break. Everyone doing alright?

I'm in the same boat with round 3! My verbal and BS scores were good both times, but PS was pathetic. Now I'm making sure I get through all the content topics (which I definitely didn't do before), and do lots of practice problems. Actually, with all the problems I've been doing lately, I've realized how many actual MCAT questions I could have gotten right with this kind of studying! :smack:

I've been using TPR and Berkeley for review. EK is just too simplistic for me since I'm far removed from most of these classes. I like the depth of TPR for content review, and then I use Berkeley as a supplement for weakest areas.

Anyone use review videos here?

Hey everbody! I will also be with yall on this day. I'm using the SN2ed's 4 month schedule so I'm using TBR and EK but I'm using the TPRH SW to supplement and using it exclusively for bio because I think TBR Bio passages are too much. I've been going at it for about a month now.

Retaker here. My weaknesses lie in physics and gchem because I took them so long ago and don't remember much.

physics and genchem are definitely my weakest areas ( i just took ochem over the summer and did well so it's really fresh in my head...hopefully it stays that way until the test). I'm just trying to plug in as many problems as possible, and I'm adjusting my study habits to accommodate my weaknesses. Can't wait to get out of the microbio portion of bio and get to the physiological systems.

I hope everyone's studying is going well. I know it's rough, but I know we'll all get through it.

Hey guys! If anyone on this date is planning to cancel/reschedule please let me know! I currently have the Nov test date that I would like to postpone to Jan 8th, but there are absolutely no seats left in the East Coast area! I'm from VA so if anyone wants a Nov 7th test date or is just planning to cancel their Jan 8th date, please pm me if your test location is in NY, NC, PA, WV, VA, MD, NJ, DE, CT etc. Thanks =)

Thank you very much... I've been studying for about 3 weeks and i am not seeing too much progress... When do you start to see progress??

@katiebananas, I usually don't do them timed, but that's only because I know from experience that I can get through the BS and PS sections with time to spare. I try to focus more on learning from the questions than rushing through them and making careless mistakes.

I've been studying for 3 weeks now and seeing no progress, when do I start seeing it?

Hi guys, I am bit concerned with respect to my MCAT exam. I was initially scheduled for 11/7/2014 test. I feel that I am not fully prepared to take the test and guarantee a good score. I was really scared when I checked the schedules today and found that seats in all over the country are taken. However, I found a seat in Iowa for January, and the climate of Iowa during the winter is what concerns me the most. Do you think that i took the right decision, because I thought that 3 month from now I will be fully ready for my MCAT, unlike the current time. Do you guys think that i should be concerned about my testing environment, knowing that I live in Texas. I am scared that I would regret my decision in January.
than you guys.
I just did the exact same thing. I switched from Nov 7th to January 13th but in a different state. In my opinion I would rather have to risk bad weather than risk not being fully prepared for an exam as difficult as the MCAT!
Also, I am just thankful I found a seat to take it in January. I think you made the right call if you don't feel prepared.

I just did the exact same thing. I switched from Nov 7th to January 13th but in a different state. In my opinion I would rather have to risk bad weather than risk not being fully prepared for an exam as difficult as the MCAT!
Also, I am just thankful I found a seat to take it in January. I think you made the right call if you don't feel prepared.
Thank you! Do you think that I should be stressed by traveling to a new cold environment that I have never been at before? I am scared that this will be my last chance, and I don't really want to lose!

Hi guys, I am bit concerned with respect to my MCAT exam. I was initially scheduled for 11/7/2014 test. I feel that I am not fully prepared to take the test and guarantee a good score. I was really scared when I checked the schedules today and found that seats in all over the country are taken. However, I found a seat in Iowa for January, and the climate of Iowa during the winter is what concerns me the most. Do you think that i took the right decision, because I thought that 3 month from now I will be fully ready for my MCAT, unlike the current time. Do you guys think that i should be concerned about my testing environment, knowing that I live in Texas. I am scared that I would regret my decision in January.
than you guys.

Hey I just did the same thing…I changed my Nov. 7th test date to Iowa as well! I'm a bit scared about the weather too (I'm taking a flight, so don't want my plane to be cancelled due to weather!), but I really feel like more test dates will open over the next few months especially as scores come out. I wouldn't be too worried!

Hey I just did the same thing…I changed my Nov. 7th test date to Iowa as well! I'm a bit scared about the weather too (I'm taking a flight, so don't want my plane to be cancelled due to weather!), but I really feel like more test dates will open over the next few months especially as scores come out. I wouldn't be too worried!
Ahh!! can you please explain more about the test dates that will open? This was the main reason canceling November. I was concerned that if I take the one in November and needed to reschedule I will find no seats for January.

Ahh!! can you please explain more about the test dates that will open? This was the main reason canceling November. I was concerned that if I take the one in November and needed to reschedule I will find no seats for January.

Well I can't say for certain, but I feel like there are going to be seat openings closer to where I live. A lot of people are saying that students tend to cancel any "potential retakes" they scheduled for after they get a good score on the MCAT. I guess we just have to keep checking!

Well I can't say for certain, but I feel like there are going to be seat openings closer to where I live. A lot of people are saying that students tend to cancel any "potential retakes" they scheduled for after they get a good score on the MCAT. I guess we just have to keep checking!
I am in the same boat - since I switched to jan 13th. do you know if you have to pay a fee just to switch locations if I already paid the fee to switch to January?! (this is hypothetical if the spots open up)

Thank you! Do you think that I should be stressed by traveling to a new cold environment that I have never been at before? I am scared that this will be my last chance, and I don't really want to lose!
I am from the midwest and I can say that the weather MAY be unpredictable, but I wouldn't stress over it. Just keep an eye on other locations as well as the weather in Iowa as you get closer!

I am in the same boat - since I switched to jan 13th. do you know if you have to pay a fee just to switch locations if I already paid the fee to switch to January?! (this is hypothetical if the spots open up)

Unfortunately, yes. The AAMC keeps getting richer and richer =(

Guys, I am thinking of switching my MCAT date from November 7 to any dates in January. Please please please please please let me know if you are dropping your Jan spot. I am looking for centers in Ontario (preferably Toronto, Hamilton or Ottawa), but honestly, anything in Ontario would work! Thanks! :)

Hello, I am looking to register for any of the Jan spots, if anyone is dropping their spot please let me know anywhere around Virginia or Illinois. Thank you in advance.

I've been studying for 3 weeks now and seeing no progress, when do I start seeing it?
Progress isn't always about the numbers. Sure, getting good scores in the time limit is a great confidence boost. However, focus less on your definition of progress and more on learning the material. Do you feel like you are really wrestling through the material, or are you having a tough time keeping focused?

What do you mean by "seeing no progress"? Like you're doing practice passages/problems and not answering correctly due to lack of understanding/knowledge?

I've also been studying for a few weeks, but I am noticing progress. I read a book chapter, then do practice passages and discrete problems. I track my progress by how well I'm doing with reasoning my way through questions and whether I'm building on concepts I just learned in that chapter and before. The real test of improvement will be when I start taking full lengths though.

Maybe try doing more practice problems and make sure you understand concepts you're covering.

Progress isn't always about the numbers. Sure, getting good scores in the time limit is a great confidence boost. However, focus less on your definition of progress and more on learning the material. Do you feel like you are really wrestling through the material, or are you having a tough time keeping focused?

I am actually, sometimes it's very hard for me to focus...

What do you mean by "seeing no progress"? Like you're doing practice passages/problems and not answering correctly due to lack of understanding/knowledge?

I've also been studying for a few weeks, but I am noticing progress. I read a book chapter, then do practice passages and discrete problems. I track my progress by how well I'm doing with reasoning my way through questions and whether I'm building on concepts I just learned in that chapter and before. The real test of improvement will be when I start taking full lengths though.

Maybe try doing more practice problems and make sure you understand concepts you're covering.

Yes!!! I will do that that!!! Thank you guys for your help!!! :)

Are there any Jan 8th test takers in the MD, NJ, PA, VA, NY...or anywhere nearby who are looking for an earlier test date? The Dec 6th test just opened up and I was hoping to coordinate with someone if they wanted to switch? I would be FOREVER grateful. I work full time so the Dec 6th test would be difficult to finish studying for! I'm pretty flexible (and can fly)--so if you are even further away and thinking of changing please let me know!!!

Anyone dropping their spot in Ontario, please let me know! PM me please..I would be forever grateful!!!

Did you keep refreshing until NYC became open?
Just go from date to date and check the state.. Meaning if you have Jan 8th open, check the states for than then go down to Jan 10 check for that and keep doing that till you find one.

Just go from date to date and check the state.. Meaning if you have Jan 8th open, check the states for than then go down to Jan 10 check for that and keep doing that till you find one.

Okay, cool! Thanks! Also, can I know when you checked the MCAT dates and saw NYC was open? Sorry for the numerous questions

I'm not going to lie....I did it only once...and it was there....before ny it was Texas and it was gone in 10 seconds.

Around what time did you check?

And no problem! Just think of the amazing months after you have finished taking the MCAT and completed the secondaries!