The Official January 8th, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alteredstate213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!!!
Retaker here, I'm officially starting to study today using SN2ed's four month schedule! I was going to use Princeton Review and BR for tests since I've exhausted the AAMC and GoldStandard tests.

148 days left! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
any one here taking it in Texas and willing to trade with me? I am taking it on the Jan 15th in Waco, the day I was avoiding because of other commitments.
I am pretty desperate. I am willing to pay.

Thank you

What day are you up to on the Sn2 schedule for those that are following it?
I started in September, but I built some leeway into my schedule. Things came up, so I'm only really on week 2 or 3. Working to catch up is a pain, by the way, so don't get behind. How about you?

GAH! i just got the last seat in PA (live in VA but worth the drive)

I'm in the current application cycle but feeling insecure about my May MCAT score (PS8 VR8 BS9, total 25) which was my second time taking it (first was August 2013, PS7 VR8 BS8 total 23).

I believe my mistake in studying was not taking enough practice tests. So my goal is to take at least one a week...

any suggestions would be enormously helpful and appreciated! :highfive:

I'm in the current application cycle but feeling insecure about my May MCAT score (PS8 VR8 BS9, total 25) which was my second time taking it (first was August 2013, PS7 VR8 BS8 total 23).

I believe my mistake in studying was not taking enough practice tests. So my goal is to take at least one a week...

Have you discovered SN2ed's study schedule? Enormously helpful. In fact, I think it is one of the featured forums under MCAT Discussions.

Sending you good vibes my friend

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Five to ten for me as well, depending on what subject it is. Bio doesn't take me nearly as long to read the chapters, but there are more passages, so it kind of evens out. Physics just takes forever. I did great in my physics class...but that was 4 years ago, so I'm relearning EVERYTHING.

hey I rescheduled my exam from Nov 7 to this date I took 4 practice tests and my verbal score is terrible any idea what to do to improve verbal? I want at least a 10 in verbal

hey I rescheduled my exam from Nov 7 to this date I took 4 practice tests and my verbal score is terrible any idea what to do to improve verbal? I want at least a 10 in verbal
Verbal=practice practice practice practice practice practice practice, evaluate faulty thought processes, try new strategies, practice practice practice practice practice. There are some great "How to improve verbal" posts and threads here. Just search the forums, and then find out what works for you. I'm still figuring that part out too. What resources are you using?

I'm using mainly Ek 101 passages and I took kap course but it did not help their way was not helpful and the mapping part watsedso much time so i don't write anything down.
I do follow and write why I missed questions but still my highest score on verbal is 7, when there are a lot of philosophy passages i score about 5-6!
I use kap section tests too
I have BR verbal book do u know if its good?

I don't know anything about BR verbal. I'm using EK 101 and the TPRH Verbal workbook. Philosophy can be tough to battle through, but the more philosophy articles you read, the better you will get at them. I recommend checking out some philosophy books from your local library and reading through them. Thoroughly. You won't understand it all at first, but the more you read, the easier it will come. The same goes for the other topics included in verbal (Art, politics, etc).

I'm struggling with it too. I also want to score in the double digits, but I consistently get half the questions wrong. It is discouraging, especially since verbal is my weakest subject and the only way to improve is to change the way you think. Not the easiest thing to do.

Side note, 76 days, people. 76 days.

Snagged a CA spot yesterday for this test date! I'm retaking, took my first test in August and wasn't happy with my score.

Hey guys,
I have finally settled down to write the MCAT in January. I am currently registered for this day but want to reschedule it to Jan 23 just coz that works better with my school and work. I am worried that no seats will open up, but there might be openings later on in Nov/December. I have been studying for this test since May but then took about two months off since mid Aug until mid October and started studying again. I don't even know how much I remember. I am currently reviewing all the content since I took a long break, will be likely done with content by this weekend and then will focus on practice questions and FLs. I am planning to take GS tests, TPR tests and of course, AAMCs. I had finished doing the TPR Science Workbook during the summer, but I don't know know much of it I still remember. I circled questions I got wrong, so will probably be doing them later on. I am planning to practice off the EK 1001 books this time around. My problem is Verbal. I know I have to improve a lot in VR, I just don't get the motivation to practice it anymore :( How do I motivate myself, guys? Any help will be appreciated.

@thespectrum, just remind yourself why you are doing what you are doing. Studying for verbal SUCKS. Today, I got every single question on one passage wrong. However, I know that the more I practice, the more I will improve, making it easier for me down the road to become a doctor. Keep the goal in mind when you take the individual steps, and they suddenly become easier to take.

Also, motivational videos are awesome. Sheer brilliance.

hey guys hows studying going? I wanted to ask you guyys what do u think is the best way to learn orgo? what books what to do? I only took Orgo one and had a B and its a tiny bit of MCAT orgo probably cause when i took it we didn't get to even finish all material for Orgo 1 cause of snow days ... so what to do? what material? and how do u remember all reactions?

hey guys hows studying going? I wanted to ask you guyys what do u think is the best way to learn orgo? what books what to do? I only took Orgo one and had a B and its a tiny bit of MCAT orgo probably cause when i took it we didn't get to even finish all material for Orgo 1 cause of snow days ... so what to do? what material? and how do u remember all reactions?
There is no one "best" prep book. However, I do prefer TBR. I'm also a bit partial because I'm following the SN2 study schedule, so TBR is the majority of what we use. You'll have to look around a bit and figure out what works for you.

As for remembering all the reactions, don't try to memorize EVERYTHING, because that's ridiculous. If you can learn where the electrons are going and WHY (emphasis on the why) you will be MUCH better off than someone who spent hours upon hours memorizing every rule and every exception to the rules.

Anki is a great tool for retaining information. You'll have to learn how to use it and keep up with it every day, but the results are phenomenal.

Snagged a CA spot yesterday for this test date! I'm retaking, took my first test in August and wasn't happy with my score.
Glad you got a spot! They are very hard to come by anymore. I managed to get mine before the rush. I'm a retaker as well, so I know the feeling. This will be my third (and final) time. But I'm going to nail the exam.

You are too.

@shnarf9892 Thank you so much for your response I have TBR books so i will use them I was using mainly PR content book and TPRH science workbook for orgo and EK1001 I will try TBR

and yes! I'm making tons of flashcards

How's everyone doing?

I'm struggling with my content review and I'm anxious to get to practice tests. Think I'm gonna blow through the second half of EK by next week and then review as I go.

Hey everyone! I hope studying is going well.

@neuro_nerd14

I agree with @shnarf9892 I think TBR is great but I personally think Orgo TBR, generally, goes a bit too in depth. Still, I think if you're able to do well on TBR Orgo passages you're probably in great shape for AAMC Orgo. I think you may be better off sticking too PR and TPRH SW although I have no experience with PR's content books but giving TBR a try can't hurt. But yeah understanding where electrons are moving and why things are happening in orgo reactions is far more important than rote memorization. I'm honestly not too sure about EK1001. I've done a chunk of problems from there for orgo and felt like it was decent content review but thought the questions were too easy. Still, I think it could help to drive in content as you're reading.

@moodee I felt very similar to you a week or so ago. I had been doing content review for awhile and was feeling really anxious to start doing tests to atleast see where I stood. So, I flew through the last 9 or so chapters of content and took my first practice FL (AAMC 3) on Wednesday. I got a 26 ( 8PS/ 10V/ 8BS). Extremely relieved I don't need to worry about verbal that much. I feel a lot better knowing where I stand and am catering my studying to weaknesses and getting familiar with the AAMC and CBT structure of the test. When you say you're struggling with content review do you mean you want it to be over or you're finding certain concepts difficult? How long have you been reviewing content?

Just that I want it to be over haha. I'm having trouble staying motivated / keeping on track, finished 12 EK chapters over the course of October. When I started out I was doing EK + Chad for every chapter, and then every TPR SWB problem associated, got to be too much. At this point I'm just skimming each chapter and doing the 30m, Hopefully I'll finish by the end of next week and get to work on testing.

I did take the SA for biology (not orgo), and managed an 84%. Small victories...

I hope everyone's studying is going well!

I'm finally on a roll with my study material (which I wasn't the first time around). I've found that I need a random day or two off, to focus well on the days I am studying. Normally, I'll study for around 1/1.5hrs then take a 15ish minute break, then study for one or two more blocks like that. With material I'm particularly unenthusiastic about, I'll study it for a bit and then switch to another subject, then come back a bit later.

I've also been trying to do as many practice problems and passages as possible this time, which seems to be going well so far. I'll probably take my first FL the week of Thanksgiving and then probably take the AAMC self assessments.

I'm pretty excited to take the MCAT for the final time in January and never see it again!

Hello all!

I'm selling all of the MCAT books I used to prepare. I am willing to negotiate. As an MCAT instructor, I encourage people to supplement their self study (EK) with TPR. Highly recommend

I am selling:
Kaplan - $60-75
All books in completely new condition. All books newest class edition.
  • Verbal Reasoning, Physics, Chem, Orgo, Bio

The Princeton Review - $100 for all of them- BRAND NEW
All books in completely new condition - no markings at all. All books newest edition.
  • VR, Biology, Chemistry, Orgo, Physics.

Examkrackers Textbooks $50-60
All books in completely new condition - no markings at all. All books newest edition.
  • Physics, Chem, Bio and Organic Chemistry
PM me if you are interested in negotiating prices. I am willing to seeing all as a package for 150$.

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Is anyone else having real issues with trying to grasp Electric Circuits and Capacitors? How complex will the questions on the MCAT be when it comes to this topic?

Is anyone else having real issues with trying to grasp Electric Circuits and Capacitors? How complex will the questions on the MCAT be when it comes to this topic?

Yep, spent like 30mins during my review trying to understand question #50 on aamc #4. Since its been awhile since I took it, gotta refresh the memory better so timing is more efficient

if anyone who held a spot for this date just to be safe, and is now dropping it, please please message me, ill take it. thank you very much !!

Hey everyone! Officially joining this thread! I was an October 21st taker, and got completely rocked with a 27 (9/9/9). My AAMC average was a 31 (10 & 11: 31.5). Pretty surprised by my score, so I decided this was best.

Since I've used all of Berkeley's books, I think I'm using Spinach's Method this time around, which is doing a lot of practice tests and reviewing areas missed.

Got started this morning with GS #1: 31 [12/8/11]

After a month of not studying, I feel pretty good about that score. Especially considering their verbal is awful. I never scored below a 10 on a practice test, so that 9 on test day was equally surprising.

Anyway, I hope studying is coming along for all of you!

If I had to give one piece of advice as a retaker, it's this: Don't have an all-or-nothing approach to this exam. I was putting way too much pressure on myself and I believe that's why I didn't perform well. Good luck to all!

Even though this thread is dead, I thought I'd keep posting!

Just took a Kaplan full length this morning and walked out with a 34 (10/12/12). Not sure how to feel about it since their scales are pretty lenient. Anyway, going to review it tonight and watch some of Chad's videos tomorrow.

How's everyone coming along? I know there are more of you out there!

@HCHopeful your persistence is admirable lol. It's interesting how dead this thread is. I just figure people taking it this test date are studying and ya know living they lives. I'm sorry your Oct 21st test didn't go as well as you'd hoped. I saw you posting a bunch (I've been stalking these forums for a few months now) and hoped you would do well (aka atleast your AAMC average or better). It's really impressive you were able to not study for a month and retain all that information. You're a boss. What practice tests are you planning on taking till the test? More Kaplan or GS?

Studying has been weird for me. I think I'm in that awkward/difficult upper-twenties range fighting to break 30. I took AAMC 3 in early November and got a 26 ( 8 PS/ 10 V/ 8 BS). I felt pretty good about it since PS was a huge weakness of mine coming into this test. I just finished like a week and a half of straight gen chem review cuz I was still feeling anxious about gen chem. I took GS 1 this week and got a 24 (9 PS/ 9V/ 6 BS). I'm un-phased by the really low BS score since I hadn't looked at anything related to bio in 2 or 3 weeks. Like I remember reading passages and thinking yeah I know what you're testing me on but I don't remember. next question. I'm currently rewatching all of Chad's bio videos and making a bio study guide. I'll be starting the self-assessments on Monday.

It feels like there is so little time left. Can it be September again?

I know! I can't believe how the semester has flown by, and I definitely wasn't able to stick to the schedule I had planned. I'm hoping I can still pull through. I'm trying to finish up content review in the next two weeks and then focus on practice exams and EK1001s. I took AAMC 3 as a diagnostic and got a 32 (10/12/10), although I feel as though I got that based on reasoning and not knowledge, and the fact that AAMC 3 is known to be the easiest FL makes me a bit uncomfortable. I'm taking the EK Verbal practice exams and will move on to TPRH after that. I'd love for this thread to be more active and get a Jan 8 study team going. Good luck everyone!

@HCHopeful your persistence is admirable lol. It's interesting how dead this thread is. I just figure people taking it this test date are studying and ya know living they lives. I'm sorry your Oct 21st test didn't go as well as you'd hoped. I saw you posting a bunch (I've been stalking these forums for a few months now) and hoped you would do well (aka atleast your AAMC average or better). It's really impressive you were able to not study for a month and retain all that information. You're a boss. What practice tests are you planning on taking till the test? More Kaplan or GS?

Studying has been weird for me. I think I'm in that awkward/difficult upper-twenties range fighting to break 30. I took AAMC 3 in early November and got a 26 ( 8 PS/ 10 V/ 8 BS). I felt pretty good about it since PS was a huge weakness of mine coming into this test. I just finished like a week and a half of straight gen chem review cuz I was still feeling anxious about gen chem. I took GS 1 this week and got a 24 (9 PS/ 9V/ 6 BS). I'm un-phased by the really low BS score since I hadn't looked at anything related to bio in 2 or 3 weeks. Like I remember reading passages and thinking yeah I know what you're testing me on but I don't remember. next question. I'm currently rewatching all of Chad's bio videos and making a bio study guide. I'll be starting the self-assessments on Monday.

It feels like there is so little time left. Can it be September again?

Haha I was hoping I'd score my AAMC average as well, but it happens! As far as tests go, I'm going to be taking GS and TBR tests from here on out. I only had two Kaplan tests and had used one a while back. I plan on using all 9 more of GS and all 7 TBR! In my head, I was at the point of enough content, but I need to hone my test-taking skills. So I figured just load up with tests! I might take AAMC 9-11 near test date just to get a feel for their style again. Obviously the scores won't be indicative of anything.

As far as your scores, in my opinion, take them with a grain of salt. Maybe the October 21st date was just a really hard test, but we had some interesting scores when comparing to AAMC averages. There were two accounts of 10 points or more worse. Having said that, I would lean more towards favoring AAMC's scores. Their scale isn't as lenient. Good luck!

Even though this thread is dead, I thought I'd keep posting!

Just took a Kaplan full length this morning and walked out with a 34 (10/12/12). Not sure how to feel about it since their scales are pretty lenient. Anyway, going to review it tonight and watch some of Chad's videos tomorrow.

How's everyone coming along? I know there are more of you out there!

I'm still around! Just finishing up content review (had some delays that prevented me from finishing sooner). I plan on beginning self assessments next week.

My goal is to conquer (as much as I can) the PS section because my score there is what's been holding me back. I can't believe there's only a little over a month left to study. Time flew by!

I'm still around! Just finishing up content review (had some delays that prevented me from finishing sooner). I plan on beginning self assessments next week.

My goal is to conquer (as much as I can) the PS section because my score there is what's been holding me back. I can't believe there's only a little over a month left to study. Time flew by!

Honestly, I might do the same with PS! In my previous attempt, I was averaging 11ish in PS, and then scored a 9 on the actual exam. Yikes!

Good luck! I may check out the verbal self-assessment! I've heard good things!

Honestly, I might do the same with PS! In my previous attempt, I was averaging 11ish in PS, and then scored a 9 on the actual exam. Yikes!

Good luck! I may check out the verbal self-assessment! I've heard good things!
Yeah, I made the mistake of selectively studying certain sections of PS instead of everything last time and it came back to bite me (8 in PS). I also only gave myself two weeks of very distracted studying (with school and work), whereas I gave myself a good 3.5 months this time around.

If I don't significantly raise my score, it will be really hard for me to get into any MD schools next year. This MCAT is a huge deal breaker for me! I feel like I am really understanding a lot more this time though, so I'm hopeful. :)

Yeah, I made the mistake of selectively studying certain sections of PS instead of everything last time and it came back to bite me (8 in PS). I also only gave myself two weeks of very distracted studying (with school and work), whereas I gave myself a good 3.5 months this time around.

If I don't significantly raise my score, it will be really hard for me to get into any MD schools next year. This MCAT is a huge deal breaker for me! I feel like I am really understanding a lot more this time though, so I'm hopeful. :)

I feel ya with the MD thing. I got a 27 (9/9/9) on October 21st and have a 3.9 GPA. I know I could go DO pretty easily, but I've always pictured MD. Hopefully I go up at least two points on this next one, but I'm shooting for a 32+.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! Joining this discussion since I'll be retaking my MCAT on this date. I took it Oct. 25th and did very poorly. I have quit one of my jobs and the semester is getting close to the end, so hopefully more time with studying. Even though I'll be flying to Texas (from Cali) to take my test, I just hope to score enough to get into a DO program. I wish you all the best!

If anybody is considering dropping their test date from Key West to Atlanta please message me first. Thank You

Just got done with GS #2 and got a 33 (12/9/12). Their verbal still seems a little off to me. But who knows. More than happy with those PS and BS section scores. I think I may start taking the EK 101 verbal tests in place of GS's because they are not representative at all.

Hope everyone is coming along nicely!

Great job @HCHopeful ! I'm hoping to have my PS and BS scores in your range this time around.

I'm feeling super pumped about physics! I hated it so much before but most of the concepts tested are actually quite simple (never thought I'd say that) now that I've gone through them. I'm starting the self assessments and might take AAMC 3 just for kicks this weekend; even though I've heard its way outdated, I can practice timing and it's free.

Anyone else taking the SA's?

Hey everyone! Officially joining this thread! I was an October 21st taker, and got completely rocked with a 27 (9/9/9). My AAMC average was a 31 (10 & 11: 31.5). Pretty surprised by my score, so I decided this was best.

Since I've used all of Berkeley's books, I think I'm using Spinach's Method this time around, which is doing a lot of practice tests and reviewing areas missed.

Got started this morning with GS #1: 31 [12/8/11]

After a month of not studying, I feel pretty good about that score. Especially considering their verbal is awful. I never scored below a 10 on a practice test, so that 9 on test day was equally surprising.

Anyway, I hope studying is coming along for all of you!

If I had to give one piece of advice as a retaker, it's this: Don't have an all-or-nothing approach to this exam. I was putting way too much pressure on myself and I believe that's why I didn't perform well. Good luck to all!

That sucks your MCAT was 4 lower than your average. I heard a lot of bad things about the Oct 21 test, I think people also complained about the Nov 7 one also?

I like your advice of trying not to have the all-or-nothing approach, in theory. But there really is a ton of pressure for us taking the exam in January. I think more so than people taking the test at any other time, because of the switch to the new MCAT. For us, if we score lower than what we are willing to accept, then we will have to study for a very different test. Therefore, there is an immense amount of pressure on us, yet that immense pressure may very well cause us to perform worse than expected, like you said.

So I guess my question is, what kind of approach are you going to have for this exam, if not an all-or-nothing approach, because it kind of is an all-or-nothing situation.

Also, with people taking the past couple of tests noticing a lower than expected score, doesn't this further increase your anxiety. It makes me think that the same thing could easily happen for the Jan 8 exam, where retaking becomes a much bigger problem.