The Official July 2, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else taking it this July 2nd?!

Members don't see this ad.

So far I have counted 3-4 wrong on bio. I have a good memory of the test and was able to look up ones I thought were tricky. Of course. Still very possible (and probable) that I got more wrong.

I know it is pointless (because some questions I worry about could be experimental) but I still try go through the exam in my head. LOL i know I should really stop

So far I have counted 3-4 wrong on bio. I have a good memory of the test and was able to look up ones I thought were tricky. Of course. Still very possible (and probable) that I got more wrong.

I know it is pointless (because some questions I worry about could be experimental) but I still try go through the exam in my head. LOL i know I should really stop

I don't know how... I remember one VR passage, 2 PS passages, one BS passage, and like two BS discretes. That's it. xD

I remember 6 out of 7 verbal passages but very few of the questions. I remember all 7 bio passage topics. I would post them here if I could ;) (ps, physics is a blur)

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought bio was easy too (and so did many others) but I have a difficult time believing the scale will be drastically different than any of AAMC's. The only real difference is that some Q's of the real test were experimental so less questions count. If I had to guess. 3-5 wrong would be 13. 6-7 wrong would be 12.
That would be awesome, a dream come true!!! I am afraid it will be too harsh and getting 7 questions wrong is like a 10 :dead:

That would be awesome, a dream come true!!! I am afraid it will be too harsh and getting 7 questions wrong is like a 10 :dead:
Well that could be... but also remember some questions are experimental (no one knows how much). If five questions are experimental--lets say-- then that really changes the game in terms of how many one can get wrong (and then yes, 7 is probs lower than a 12.... contrary to what I said before). However, I have a feeling the scaled score (that is, the score correlated w % correct out of the possible questions that count) won't differ drastically from that of the AAMC's (% correct on AAMCs).

AAMC refers to their practice score keys as "estimated scaled scores". It is rough estimation of how well one is performing. However, because experimental are taken out, technically the scoring system is different on real thing. When I guessed (it was just a guess) that 3-5 wrong may be a 13, I was talking about 47-49/52. Who knows how much correct that is out of how many questions that count.

Well that could be... but also remember some questions are experimental (no one knows how much). If five questions are experimental--lets say-- then that really changes the game in terms of how many one can get wrong (and then yes, 7 is probs lower than a 12.... contrary to what I said before). However, I have a feeling the scaled score (that is, the score correlated w % correct out of the possible questions that count) won't differ drastically from that of the AAMC's (% correct on AAMCs).

AAMC refers to their practice score keys as "estimated scaled scores". It is rough estimation of how well one is performing. However, because experimental are taken out, technically the scoring system is different on real thing. When I guessed (it was just a guess) that 3-5 wrong may be a 13, I was talking about 47-49/52. Who knows how much correct that is out of how many questions that count.
Oh ok, I see what you meant now! Sometimes I feel relieved that it is simply OVER, and it is pointless to think about the score/questions, other times I become extremely worried....Your words put my mind at ease, I wish you best of luck and to all of us to never have to retake! But for now let's stay hopeful and whatever happens, just remember to never GIVE UP.

Reactions: 1 user
The thing about trying to predict the scale is that no one truly knows how AAMC goes about scoring the real MCAT because the AAMC is nauseatingly vague about how they do it. This is especially the case given the possible experimental questions, the marginally to much more difficult sections compared to the practice exams, etc. At the end of the day, we might expect a section as ridiculous as our PS to give us some wiggle room in terms of scaling while VR and BS might be harsh, but all we can really do is wait. I would think that, on test day, many people are more prone to making mistakes, over thinking, and the like because they realize the gravity of this exam and what it means. This doesn't happen on the practice exams because, well, they're just practice exams and you see your score instantaneously. I've had moments when I've randomly remembered problems, but checking to see if I got them right only gives me very partial - and inaccurate, because you probably only tend to remember problems that gave you trouble - insight into how I may have done. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but I would hope that the real scale reflects the very real fact that the actual MCAT is indeed more difficult than we expected and many, MANY people, even good test takers, freak out on test day and make more than a few mistakes. That's just my logic for trying not to stress too much over my score. Just my 2 cents.

The only real certainty is that the wait is excruciatingly painful (...and that I gave it my all test day despite making some careless mistakes )

I'm actually not doing that bad lately. I mean... it's just a test score. It's just a test score. It's just a test score. It's just a test score.

....right?

I'm sure I'll be freaking out again in the final week or two, though.

wth 16 days down and 17 more to go?!?! we are only at the 50% mark.. *cries for days*
... that's the equivalent of when I use to run cross country in high school, when I would realize I was only halfway through a long workout (*thinks to self* "F@!K")

Reading this thread, I have started having nightmares about my scores. I have to uninstall sdn app on my phone coz of you guys...

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading this thread, I have started having nightmares about my scores. I have to uninstall sdn app on my phone coz of you guys...

I had a nightmare two nights ago, I was excited to receive my MCAT score. I open the website and I see I received a 9/2/4.. I cannot tell you how relieved I was when I woke up.

I wanted to ask you guys' opinions on something...

So I finished my primaries and I was about to submit to one school until mcat scores come out, then add more schools based on the score. now I'm kind of freaking out bc what if I bombed, like un-appliable bombed. I'd have to obviously study for a retake but I feel ill be way too late in the cycle at that point to apply this year.

should I just not submit and wait the extra couple weeks, or just submit to get on that verification line anyway to be safe? having a tough time deciding but leaning towards submitting. thanks to all!

So I finished my primaries and I was about to submit to one school until mcat scores come out, then add more schools based on the score. now I'm kind of freaking out bc what if I bombed, like un-appliable bombed. I'd have to obviously study for a retake but I feel ill be way too late in the cycle at that point to apply this year.

should I just not submit and wait the extra couple weeks, or just submit to get on that verification line anyway to be safe? having a tough time deciding but leaning towards submitting. thanks to all!

Submit, because if you do well you won't be delayed by another month while it verifies.

Definitely submit. At this point you won't likely be verified until after our scores come back. So if you did really bomb and decide you'd rather wait a year, I'm pretty sure you can just withdraw your app before being verified, and it's like you never submitted.

... had a fun night out last night... wake up blissfully. Then, after first sip of coffee this morning, I remember I am waiting for my MCAT score :arghh:

Definitely submit. At this point you won't likely be verified until after our scores come back. So if you did really bomb and decide you'd rather wait a year, I'm pretty sure you can just withdraw your app before being verified, and it's like you never submitted.

Awesome, thank you guys! gonna submit.

I'm in the same boat. I am going to submit probably in 2-3 days. I'm nervous I bombed it too and then the idea of re-taking it makes me cringe.. But, it's better to get the verification part going.

I am taking a gap year so I have time to retake... But I think I peaked at time of test. Don't know what I would do if my score sucks :/

I'm in the same boat. I am going to submit probably in 2-3 days. I'm nervous I bombed it too and then the idea of re-taking it makes me cringe.. But, it's better to get the verification part going.

right? I couldn't imagine going back to that lifestyle of never enjoying anything and working all day. please just give me a decent score

Reactions: 2 users
359meqp.png

Join me my brothers and sisters.

Reactions: 7 users
I sent that meme to all my friends lol. In other news, gift card claims in few days... although we still have two long weeks, it kind of feels weird that it's our turn receiving experimental scores. And after tomorrow, we are next up for exam scores

Reactions: 1 users
At least this is the last time I will be reading about others getting their MCAT scores in before me. I always get so relieved to see that most scores came in near their averages, but then I see a 8-10 point drop and start to worry that I will have the same fate. Two more weeks right?

At least this is the last time I will be reading about others getting their MCAT scores in before me. I always get so relieved to see that most scores came in near their averages, but then I see a 8-10 point drop and start to worry that I will have the same fate. Two more weeks right?
you see positive outliers sometimes too... +/- 2 of avg seems typical though (on SDN at least)

The people that score 8 points less than their AAMC FL averages either:

1) Cheat during their practice FLs

2) Have AWFUL test anxiety and REALLY and I mean REALLY bomb on test day. But 8 points??

We did fine. c:

What's the cutoff for the gift redemption? I was so done by time that section started lol

Last edited:
This is my hunch of the curve for our exam.

BS: Same as AAMCs.
VR: 1 wrong = 10, 2 wrong = 5, 3 or more wrong = 1.
PS: 1 right out of 52 = 15

As you can see I'm losing my mind. :D