**The Official July 2015 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
This is the official thread I've created for all the July test takers. I know its kinda early to start preparing for the July MCAT, but I know some who may have already begun the marathon since the new MCAT requires more than 3 months of study prep. Let's fill the thread with rich MCAT related discussions and be helpful to one another. The white coat down the lane is awaiting us ! Let's go....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your thoughts on GS practice exams? I'm taking the mcat August 5th? So far, I've only done their free 1/3rd exam and thought it was pretty challenging. There were some psych/soc terms I was not familiar with! Would appreciate your input.

I thought that they were more representative in the sense that it was very data driven like the real MCAT. However, their psych section was brutal. It's like they were following a completely different outline then TPR was because I recognized only about 1/2 of their terms (and I am a psych minor). From what I understand they redid GS1 and GS4 after the April/May test takers because apparently it was really off based so those are your best bet to take if you want as close to the real thing

I thought that they were more representative in the sense that it was very data driven like the real MCAT. However, their psych section was brutal. It's like they were following a completely different outline then TPR was because I recognized only about 1/2 of their terms (and I am a psych minor). From what I understand they redid GS1 and GS4 after the April/May test takers because apparently it was really off based so those are your best bet to take if you want as close to the real thing
Thanks. Did you take their free test? If so, what did you think about that. I think I will go ahead and purchase their exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Did you take their free test? If so, what did you think about that. I think I will go ahead and purchase their exams.

I took that first (~502 I think) and then purchased GS1 and 2. I would say they are similar but the GS1 they modified to be more representative

You know, I did read on and read your later messages about apologizing and how you were just stressed..but, I can't help but reply to this mainly because you are a bit exaggerating your adversity and you make it seem like U.S. Appicants have it much easier than Canadian students..So, I did a little research based on previous years within a reasonable time period (2013-2014 Applicants vs. Matriculation rates based on location and percentage ratings). So, here is what I found and I believe it to be accurate seeing as how I got the data from the official medical school source websites.

Canada has ~17 Medical Schools (not sure if it has changed over the past few years), one can automatically assume the competition will be much higher given the U.S. has 131 M.D. programs in addition to 31 D.O. programs across the states. However, the average acceptance ratings do not seems to prove much of a difference if you take into account that you can easily assume there is a reasonable amount of foreign students who have/are currently in a medical program in the U.S. Canadian schools average somewhere around ~20% Matriculation rating VS ~36% U.S. Applicant Matriculation ratings. For how many medical schools the U.S. has I can say I personally feel the United States is a VERY competitive place for medical programs across the nation. In many schools here in the U.S. we have what is known as a quota for international student matriculation each year. I know of a few around my residential area that require 10% to be international; I have heard, though maybe just speculation, that governments pay some sort of gratuity to schools who matriculate international students.

I just think what you have said is very misleading and very unfair to U.S. applicants as if we have it so much easier than Canadians. Don't spit out claims such as this without evidence and data to back it up ESPECIALLY since you just joined a month ago. No need for this nonsense. And yes, I might be reacting a little to harshly for this, but come on we are all adults here...

Uh...can I put things in perspective? I am from Ontario. There are 6 medical schools in my province and there are people with the same stats as me who fail to gain admission every single year. Let me break it down by school:

1.) University of Toronto: This year the mean acceptance average was 3.96 - that is a weighted GPA but still very high. Minimum MCAT requirement is 27 with balanced score but it's used as a cut off with all other things like reference letters, essays, extracurriculars, research prowess factoring in - and guess what? They don't have in province or out of province limitations - they treat their own residents the same as anyone else.
2.) University of Ottawa - Doesn't require MCAT - but hey guess what? Average GPA acceptance was also >3.9, if you don't have a 3.85+ don't even both applying, and they only give points to those who grew up in the City of Ottawa, nothing else.
3.) Northern Ontario School of Medicine - don't require MCAT, but if you were raised in the city or a place lower than the Northern Area of Ontario - you will flat out be refused.
4.) University of Western Ontario - You need around a 3.8 or higher to get into this school which isn't so bad...except for their MCAT cut off of PS/VR/BS - 9/11/(12-13) last year, being below any of these instant failure of your application - and they do give some bonus points and lower MCAT requirements - only if you were born near their area of the University (which is <10% of the Population of Ontario)
5.) Queens University - well this place is probably the strangest of them all - no MCAT cut offs (but most people think its a 32 minimum with nothing lower than a 10) and GPA probably around 3.8 or high - but they look at all carefully at your application at 40+ things you can write down as part of an Autobiographical Sketch of yourself - and plenty of people with 3.9's and 4.0 gets rejected pre-interview for no reason specified - oh and they don't care where you apply from in Canada
6.) McMaster University - only school that favours ALL of ontario - only looks at the Verbal score - need at least a 10 to be competitive ideally 11 and GPA >3,83 since the average was 3.83 with a mean VR of 11 for Class of 2017 ..they use 2 sets of Interviews to weed out people and while chances hear are great if your verbal score is high - but if it's not..ha jokes on you.

Then there are all the other provinces out of Ontario - and they take at most 10-15 people per class (and that's only the ones that take a LOT of applicants, most just take like 5-10 people) - with various schools using MCAT of 35-36 and high GPA's as cut offs or just use verbal minimum 11 as a cut off with GPA again hovering around 3.8+. In Canada, a GPA of 3.8 is not even considered that competitive anymore unless you were born in a province that favours in province applicants - and right now it seems thats only maritime (eastern Canada) provinces.

I've browsed these forums for a while now, and seeing people apply to MD programs and gain acceptance easily with my stats (3.83, previous MCAT of 35 (but a VR 9 which easily disqualifies me from almost every ontario school and other schools) even though its in the 92nd percentile...yea I do think it is significantly easier to gain acceptance to a US medical school if you are a US applicant vs. Canadian applicant from Ontario trying to gain acceptance to an Ontario school. Why?

Because most of your schools actually give a **** about you being FROM that state and you probably have more than just 1 school with such a policy, and the GPA admission and MCAT requirements haven't shot up through the roof. You say we have 17 medical school...factor in that 3 are Quebec schools that are french speaking and you are left with 14. Most other provinces try their best to limit their out of province applicants to a fraction of accepted applicants to the point that GPA >3,9 MCAT >34 is something of a necessity to just garner an Interview.

I won't claim to know much about the US process but is it this competitive? That getting an interview requires GPA >3,85 and verbal scores of at least 10-11 with balanced 32 or higher?

Reactions: 2 users
Since July test takers are not receiving preliminary results, is this any indication to you guys that our exam may be scaled differently than the April-June examinees? I know AAMC said early test takes may have higher scores, but not sure if July falls into that category. This 4 week wait is killing me. Also, the fact that I have no idea how the scale/scoring for this exams works..anxiety!

Since July test takers are not receiving preliminary results, is this any indication to you guys that our exam may be scaled differently than the April-June examinees? I know AAMC said early test takes may have higher scores, but not sure if July falls into that category. This 4 week wait is killing me. Also, the fact that I have no idea how the scale/scoring for this exams works..anxiety!

I thought that they gave the early test takers preliminary scores so that they could make decisions about where to apply and stuff before getting their final score. I don't know why they don't think all test takers could use this information... but that's the explanation I heard. Not that it has something to do with the way they're scoring it.

Edit - Here's a link to the AAMC's explanation of the preliminary scores: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/faq/431346/prelimpercentilerankranges.html

Last edited:
Uh...can I put things in perspective? I am from Ontario. There are 6 medical schools in my province and there are people with the same stats as me who fail to gain admission every single year. Let me break it down by school:

1.) University of Toronto: This year the mean acceptance average was 3.96 - that is a weighted GPA but still very high. Minimum MCAT requirement is 27 with balanced score but it's used as a cut off with all other things like reference letters, essays, extracurriculars, research prowess factoring in - and guess what? They don't have in province or out of province limitations - they treat their own residents the same as anyone else.
2.) University of Ottawa - Doesn't require MCAT - but hey guess what? Average GPA acceptance was also >3.9, if you don't have a 3.85+ don't even both applying, and they only give points to those who grew up in the City of Ottawa, nothing else.
3.) Northern Ontario School of Medicine - don't require MCAT, but if you were raised in the city or a place lower than the Northern Area of Ontario - you will flat out be refused.
4.) University of Western Ontario - You need around a 3.8 or higher to get into this school which isn't so bad...except for their MCAT cut off of PS/VR/BS - 9/11/(12-13) last year, being below any of these instant failure of your application - and they do give some bonus points and lower MCAT requirements - only if you were born near their area of the University (which is <10% of the Population of Ontario)
5.) Queens University - well this place is probably the strangest of them all - no MCAT cut offs (but most people think its a 32 minimum with nothing lower than a 10) and GPA probably around 3.8 or high - but they look at all carefully at your application at 40+ things you can write down as part of an Autobiographical Sketch of yourself - and plenty of people with 3.9's and 4.0 gets rejected pre-interview for no reason specified - oh and they don't care where you apply from in Canada
6.) McMaster University - only school that favours ALL of ontario - only looks at the Verbal score - need at least a 10 to be competitive ideally 11 and GPA >3,83 since the average was 3.83 with a mean VR of 11 for Class of 2017 ..they use 2 sets of Interviews to weed out people and while chances hear are great if your verbal score is high - but if it's not..ha jokes on you.

Then there are all the other provinces out of Ontario - and they take at most 10-15 people per class (and that's only the ones that take a LOT of applicants, most just take like 5-10 people) - with various schools using MCAT of 35-36 and high GPA's as cut offs or just use verbal minimum 11 as a cut off with GPA again hovering around 3.8+. In Canada, a GPA of 3.8 is not even considered that competitive anymore unless you were born in a province that favours in province applicants - and right now it seems thats only maritime (eastern Canada) provinces.

I've browsed these forums for a while now, and seeing people apply to MD programs and gain acceptance easily with my stats (3.83, previous MCAT of 35 (but a VR 9 which easily disqualifies me from almost every ontario school and other schools) even though its in the 92nd percentile...yea I do think it is significantly easier to gain acceptance to a US medical school if you are a US applicant vs. Canadian applicant from Ontario trying to gain acceptance to an Ontario school. Why?

Because most of your schools actually give a **** about you being FROM that state and you probably have more than just 1 school with such a policy, and the GPA admission and MCAT requirements haven't shot up through the roof. You say we have 17 medical school...factor in that 3 are Quebec schools that are french speaking and you are left with 14. Most other provinces try their best to limit their out of province applicants to a fraction of accepted applicants to the point that GPA >3,9 MCAT >34 is something of a necessity to just garner an Interview.

I won't claim to know much about the US process but is it this competitive? That getting an interview requires GPA >3,85 and verbal scores of at least 10-11 with balanced 32 or higher?
100% agreed, it's pretty funny seeing Americans try to argue how it's not easier to get in to medical school in US, lol. Just grasp the fact that MANY people with 3.8+ 35+ don't even get interviews ANYWHERE. just read that sentence again.

@Cotterpin ahhh, okay gotcha! Yeah, they def could have given us the courtesy of preliminary results as well. Do you have any link of where the scaling and percentile scores are explained? AAMC website is pretty vague on how the actual score is calculated.

I am not going to take the time to read YOUR breakdown when I have already read every statistical breakdown on an official website about every single medical school in Canada. I think you either didn't read my whole post OR you didn't understand it completely. I am not trying to make this a contest about whose country is harder to get into medical school..I am simply supporting the fact that yes, Canada will definitely seem harder and have inflated stats for admission due to their lack of medical schools across the country. Stanford College here in the U.S. has a 5.1% acceptance rating and requires almost more from an undergraduate than most schools require from their medical school applicants. The reason? So many people want to go there so of course their acceptance rating is going to look impossible. Saying American Medical Schools are easier to get into than Canada medical schools is somewhat true, but not a valid argument to flaunt around to other people.

And please, quit referring to Americans in such a way as you are. A vast amount of international students have a much harder time getting in to medical schools than "you Canadians."

Good day.

I am not going to take the time to read YOUR breakdown when I have already ready every statistical breakdown on an official website about every single medical school in Canada. I think you either didn't read my whole post OR you didn't understand it completely. I am not trying to make this a contest about whose country is harder to get into medical school..I am simply supporting the fact that yes, Canada will definitely seem harder and have inflated stats for admission due to their lack of medical schools across the country. Stanford College here in the U.S. has a 5.1% acceptance rating and requires almost more from an undergraduate than most schools require from their medical school applicants. The reason? So many people want to go there so of course their acceptance rating is going to look impossible. Saying American Medical Schools are easier to get into than Canada medical schools is somewhat true, but not a valid argument to flaunt around to other people.

I'm not really flaunting anything around, just trying to clarify striker's frustration. Consider this, based on the stats for admission to even lower-tier ranked MD or DO schools - as an applicant in the US your chances of becoming a doctor are better overall. Then you have those of us in Canada who will accept admission to ANY school because of the difficulty in gaining admission. If you want to gain admission to a top tier or mid tier MD school - then yea it's going to be difficult, probably even more difficult than some schools in Canada - but overall acceptance to some program somewhere in the US seems easier than here in Canada. I think we are agreeing on the same thing though.

How about we not turn this thread into a pissing contest.

I think that we can all agree that getting into medical school is a long, hard, and very frustrating process for everyone around the world.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on being done guys. Did you guys think EK FLs and the AAMC practice mcat were representative of the actual mcat?

For me, the Bio and Psych on the AAMC FL were almost identical in difficulty and types of material. C/P and CARS were totally different stories. But this was just the case for my version of the tests. Others have said that Bio and Psych on their version were much different than the AAMC FL.

How about we not turn this thread into a pissing contest.

I think that we can all agree that getting into medical school is a long, hard, and very frustrating process for everyone around the world.

Agreed. Are the scores released, yet?! haha. The testing adviser was telling a guy next to me to expect his results in 3 days; I looked up and said, "for the MCAT!?" I was excited to hear that...low and behold the guy was taking some other test and it was not the MCAT =[ my wishful thinking never comes through...

As July test takers do we get a preliminary percentile rank about 2-3 weeks after or exam or was that only for April May and June testers?

August 18th just seems so far away

As July test takers do we get a preliminary percentile rank about 2-3 weeks after or exam or was that only for April May and June testers?

August 18th just seems so far away

We get out scores 3 weeks after the exam. You can find the score release date on the AAMC website. :p

We get out scores 3 weeks after the exam. You can find the score release date on the AAMC website. :p

3 weeks would be August 8th, scores aren't released until August 18th (usually in the mornings if they keep the same pattern as April and May)

I'm not really flaunting anything around, just trying to clarify striker's frustration. Consider this, based on the stats for admission to even lower-tier ranked MD or DO schools - as an applicant in the US your chances of becoming a doctor are better overall. Then you have those of us in Canada who will accept admission to ANY school because of the difficulty in gaining admission. If you want to gain admission to a top tier or mid tier MD school - then yea it's going to be difficult, probably even more difficult than some schools in Canada - but overall acceptance to some program somewhere in the US seems easier than here in Canada. I think we are agreeing on the same thing though.

Let me just clarify something real quick. First of all, I am sorry for my reaction to the post, I read it and replied when I was tired and easily agitated, also, I sometimes seem to have a problem when I feel as if someone is challenging me..therefore I sort of took it as an attack on my person. I am an idiot at times and over react to situations, but I want to apologize for that. For almost 5 years now I have been a member of this forum board and I have seen way too often someone being flamed and talked down to and that is the last thing I want to do to someone else. I agree, international students do have it much worse than American students when applying to medical school, but I hope we can all agree on that fact that I am rooting for anyone getting into medical school so let's do this together.

3 weeks would be August 8th, scores aren't released until August 18th (usually in the mornings if they keep the same pattern as April and May)

AHAHAHA! Once again I prove to be idiotic, sorry about the misinformation! for some reason I thought it was August 14th or earlier and it seems like that was a 3-4 week time span. I didn't think that one out too well.

AHAHAHA! Once again I prove to be idiotic, sorry about the misinformation! for some reason I thought it was August 14th or earlier and it seems like that was a 3-4 week time span. I didn't think that one out too well.

No worries, I wish you were right about the 3 weeks... this is brutal and it has only been 2 days.

Luckily I am starting to work full-time today and have mock interviews, my committee interview, and butt loads of secondaries to pre-write to keep me busy (hopefully).

No worries, I wish you were right about the 3 weeks... this is brutal and it has only been 2 days.

Luckily I am starting to work full-time today and have mock interviews, my committee interview, and butt loads of secondaries to pre-write to keep me busy (hopefully).

Cait, do you think I should submit my application to a school of lesser value to me just to get my application verified? My worry is I don't have my school committee sent in just yet, so I don't want it to go out to schools and them not have all of my LORs. Also, is anyone else using the new online AACOMAS LOR method?

506 wouldn't even be close to cut it for MD schools if you weren't aware

No one really knows what would "cut it" for MD schools because no one has been accepted yet with any new MCAT scores. The old and new mcat are completely different tests and cannot be compared.

Cait, do you think I should submit my application to a school of lesser value to me just to get my application verified? My worry is I don't have my school committee sent in just yet, so I don't want it to go out to schools and them not have all of my LORs. Also, is anyone else using the new online AACOMAS LOR method?

That is what I would suggest. That's what I did when I submitted mine on July 7th (and still patiently waiting for verification...). I bet mine will be verified about a week before our scores are released.

And I wouldn't sweat not having your LORs in because most schools ask for the letter or recommendations as part of the secondary applications. My committee interview is happening right after I get my scores back so my composite letter won't be done until a week after that.

More importantly though is you wont start getting secondaries until your primary app is verified, which wont happen until late August if you wait longer to submit.

July 18th test taker
P/C: Easiest I have ever taken compared to any practice FL
CARS: Hardest I have ever taken compared to any practice FL
Bio: Easiest I have ever taken compared to any practice FL
Beh: Hardest I have ever taken compared to any practice FL

To be honest here cars was unfairly long. There was so much reading and that really messed up the organization of the passage in my head. Had to guess a lot on that one. The behavioral sciences were super difficult not because I was unprepared but simply how difficult the questions were. Just an advice to some people, when taking the test please dont hesitate to use information given in the questions of a passage to help you answer another question of this said passage (i.e. using molecular weight of something given in a problem to help determine structure of something asked in a previous one). It is a really simple trick that really saved my butt on several tests I took.

Best of luck to all future test takers :)

we must have had the same test. I completely agree. And I took 5 TPR FLs and the AAMC.

Your academic advisers are not very well trained if that was the case. A 508 is still competitive if you have good E.C.s and a good enough GPA. The AAMC predicts the mean on the bell curve to be a 500. It was also predicted that a 508-510 would probably be the new "30" on the MCAT, which as far as I have come to know that is a perfectly acceptable MCAT score for MD schools. As for the MCAT itself, yes, I feel your pain. I felt the Physics and Chem were pretty difficult, but then again I have no idea how well I did. I definitely do not think I did bad, but I would doubt anything in the upper 80 percentile. CARS really got me. CARS has been a pretty strong point for me on the old AAMC Tests and the new material. I scored consistent 10s on the old MCAT practice and 127s on the new MCAT practice material. The length of the passages is what got me...I was in no way prepared for every single passage to be 6 to 8 paragraphs long. I ended up running out of time so I had to skim really fast only halfway through my last passage and then I had to use my best guess to answer all of the questions in a 1 minute 30 seconds. I thought Biology and Biochemistry was pretty easy to be honest, but Psychology and Sociology was a bit too ambiguous for my comfort level. I remembered quite a few questions from many different sections of the exams for which I questioned myself on and out of probably 6-7 I was unsure of, I got all but 1 right. So, I feel a tad bit better. The only thing that is giving me hope for a high score is the fact that we are all competing against one another and I handle test stress and anxiety really well, also, I did not fatigue AT ALL throughout the whole test...I thought it was very easy to stay focused. With that being said, I sure hope I could have at least done a littler better than 60-70 percentile, but WHO KNOWS! We will find out soon enough. May God rest on my soul if I have to retake this exam.

I'm also concerned with CARS. I only had 4 minutes left to do the entire last passage on friday's test! I usually don't run out of time on the FLs and have scored 127-128 on them. I think I hit on maybe the first 3 questions of that last passage and had to blind bubble the last 3 questions really concerned this will hurt my cars score.

It's called supply and demand bro. Canada has a much much smaller population than the U.S. They don't need as many doctors, therefore there are fewer medical schools, and admissions requirements are jacked up because supply relative to demand is high. That's life. No sense in making it easier to become a doctor in canada if there isn't a greater need for physicians. Also isn't medical education heavily subsidized by the govt in Canada? Why would the government want to increase the number of spots if they don't feel there is a need for more physicians if they are paying for it.

Last edited:
It's called supply and demand bro. Canada has a much much smaller population than the U.S. They don't need as many doctors, therefore there are fewer medical schools, and admissions requirements are jacked up because supply relative to demand is high. That's life. No sense in making it easier to become a doctor in canada if there isn't a greater need for physicians.

Actually this isn't true. (I'm Canadian and my father is a physician) -- Canada has just as big of an issue as the US when it comes to doctors...... which is why they are flexible with bringing in internationally trained doctors.. In fact, I think it's very challenging in Canada because of the large geographical area and small population, making it necessary to have more docs in rural areas.

I think what a previous poster said is more accurate -- there are only a few medical schools, and the competition is tough because of that.

This is partly why I'm also concerned that the AAMC's effort to have schools look at lower MCAT scores with the new system isn't going to succeed. In the end, schools will take the best applicants, and it'll just reset what number is now for 35+ (or whatever). Schools have high GPAs or MCAT scores for matriculants because they can, and they can afford to be choosey... that's really what it's about, in my opinion.

EDIT: Just to further expand on the first point: Canada also does not have PAs in the medical system (there are in the navy at least), which further strains health care.

Actually this isn't true. (I'm Canadian and my father is a physician) -- Canada has just as big of an issue as the US when it comes to doctors...... which is why they are flexible with bringing in internationally trained doctors.. In fact, I think it's very challenging in Canada because of the large geographical area and small population, making it necessary to have more docs in rural areas.

I think what a previous poster said is more accurate -- there are only a few medical schools, and the competition is tough because of that.

This is partly why I'm also concerned that the AAMC's effort to have schools look at lower MCAT scores with the new system isn't going to succeed. In the end, schools will take the best applicants, and it'll just reset what number is now for 35+ (or whatever). Schools have high GPAs or MCAT scores for matriculants because they can, and they can afford to be choosey... that's really what it's about, in my opinion.

EDIT: Just to further expand on the first point: Canada also does not have PAs in the medical system (there are in the navy at least), which further strains health care.

I thought that Canada was less IMG friendly than the U.S. ?
Yea I see your point in that AAMC's effort to have schools look at lower mcat scores (by resetting the average to reflect and emphasize 500 and the top of the bell curve instead of 31) might not do anything because schools can still look at percentiles and take the best applicants.

Yea I see your point in that AAMC's effort to have schools look at lower mcat scores (by resetting the average to reflect and emphasize 500 and the top of the bell curve instead of 31) might not do anything because schools can still look at percentiles and take the best applicants.
It is less IMG friendly, I don't know what he's talking about

Can anyone post a title of a science research article that resembles the convolutedness of the hardest passages from this exam? Even just one recommendation would be tremendously helpful.

Can anyone post a title of a science research article that resembles the convolutedness of the hardest passages from this exam? Even just one recommendation would be tremendously helpful.
I repressed those things from my memory

Reactions: 2 users

Just look up any article. Actually, I know of one that might be very representative. Let me make this clear, though, even though I have taken the test this is in no way a direct reflection of what I have seen and therefore this is solely my own perception of what I think would be good material for practice with "pathway" dense peer reviewed studies. Read this one, it is one of my favorite articles. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2803230/

With scores being released on August 18th, my application will probably be complete by late August. Is that still considered early/good timing? I feel like anything before September is okay.

Not IMGs; I'm referring to trained, already qualified doctors. You're correct - Canada does not have many positions available for IMG residencies.

Just look up any article. Actually, I know of one that might be very representative. Let me make this clear, though, even though I have taken the test this is in no way a direct reflection of what I have seen and therefore this is solely my own perception of what I think would be good material for practice with "pathway" dense peer reviewed studies. Read this one, it is one of my favorite articles. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2803230/

Perfect lol

With scores being released on August 18th, my application will probably be complete by late August. Is that still considered early/good timing? I feel like anything before September is okay.
Depends, well sort of..You will be somewhat "late" for rolling admissions, but I think you will be okay seeing as how interviews don't start usually until after October or sometime after.

hahaha

My last exam (2011) was 33.. so I'm hoping I get at least the equivalent of that on the new one... I guess it'd be 128/section or 512 total I'm aiming for.
Idk if you made any other posts but a 33 is great on the old one, how come you didnt apply with it? Or did you not get it where you wanted to?

Ok guys, need your expertise here, I would like to take several more practice exams. Other than TPR (cuz I have those), whats the cheapest option to get more FL practice exams?? Like which companies and specific products are the cheapest options?

Ok guys, need your expertise here, I would like to take several more practice exams. Other than TPR (cuz I have those), whats the cheapest option to get more FL practice exams?? Like which companies and specific products are the cheapest options?

Most companies have 1 free FL (or at least a 1/2 or 1/3 FL). I would hit those all up first before buying more. That way you can test out which ones you like as well

AAMC FL, Official Guide, Question Packs

Depends, well sort of..You will be somewhat "late" for rolling admissions, but I think you will be okay seeing as how interviews don't start usually until after October or sometime after.

I thought everyone emphasizes applying right on June 1st when AMCAS opens up because med schools are rolling and that august is considered pretty late.

another big difference between US and Canada, just in case you were curious. We don't have "rolling admissions." The application deadline for most schools is late September/early October and they accept MCAT scores up to September. Ie. there is absolutely no advantage given to someone who wrote an April MCAT than to someone who writes a September MCAT and applies in September as they don't start looking at applications until October. The more you know. It seems unfair how apparently a less than stellar applicant has an advantage if they apply a lot earlier than someone else lol, but I guess that is how it works for you Americans

I thought everyone emphasizes applying right on June 1st when AMCAS opens up because med schools are rolling and that august is considered pretty late.

I've talked to a few adcoms about this. Apparently most of the (non top tier MD schools) consider post-August, "pretty late" and after October to be "late" however I do know of a certain individual who got into a solid MD school while applying in November (but had a great GPA and above average ECs. I never figured out what he got on the MCAT because he's really humble ahah but I know his GPA was 3.8+ at a respected undergrad).

Hey y'all! For all those who took the test in July, did any of you guys do the khan academy passages? And if so, how helpful were they ? Thanks in b advance.

I've talked to a few adcoms about this. Apparently most of the (non top tier MD schools) consider post-August, "pretty late" and after October to be "late" however I do know of a certain individual who got into a solid MD school while applying in November (but had a great GPA and above average ECs. I never figured out what he got on the MCAT because he's really humble ahah but I know his GPA was 3.8+ at a respected undergrad).

So basically we will all be "pretty late" since we won't be able to complete before late August? I'm not sure if SDN users exaggerate this but people here make it seem that all interview spots are gone by end of August although there are people who interview past December... Should we just save our money and apply next year?

So basically we will all be "pretty late" since we won't be able to complete before late August? I'm not sure if SDN users exaggerate this but people here make it seem that all interview spots are gone by end of August although there are people who interview past December... Should we just save our money and apply next year?

To me it varies. Only people I know who had success submitting after August to be perfectly honest both had 3.8+, 33+. I only know two people so this may be a n=1 (just a coincidence).