**The Official July 2015 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
This is the official thread I've created for all the July test takers. I know its kinda early to start preparing for the July MCAT, but I know some who may have already begun the marathon since the new MCAT requires more than 3 months of study prep. Let's fill the thread with rich MCAT related discussions and be helpful to one another. The white coat down the lane is awaiting us ! Let's go....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking my exam August 21 and was wondering if anyone had any insight on how the q packs correlated to the AAMC FL or real exam? I got 70 ± 2% on each section. I'm aiming for at least 507 on the actual exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey i'm sure you get a lot of these type of questions from future test takers on this forum but with a 66%/70%/50%/66% on AAMC FL and 60%/63%/63%/90% on OG over the past week or so, would August 6th be fine if I'm aiming for like a 504-507?

Hey i'm sure you get a lot of these type of questions from future test takers on this forum but with a 66%/70%/50%/66% on AAMC FL and 60%/63%/63%/90% on OG over the past week or so, would August 6th be fine if I'm aiming for like a 504-507?

We haven't got our scores back yet, so none of us know how our AAMC FL percentages and actual scores will line up right now. My hunch is that you need to bump up those first three sections to the upper 60s to hit your indicated target range, but that is just a shot in the dark.

We haven't got our scores back yet, so none of us know how our AAMC FL percentages and actual scores will line up right now. My hunch is that you need to bump up those first three sections to the upper 60s to hit your indicated target range, but that is just a shot in the dark.

Alright thanks, yeah I figured my OG and AAMC FL average based on mcatjelly's scale is about a ~502-503 but my Bio needs to improve.

Hey are you referring to their passages? I'm torn between doing KA passages, TPR workbook passages, or just taking full length (as section tests since I have more than I need).
definitely do Khan passages, TPR is nothing compared to the dense passages in khan

Reactions: 1 users
definitely do Khan passages, TPR is nothing compared to the dense passages in khan

Thanks man! Would you recommend doing all Khan passages or just for bio and psyc? There are like 400 passages or something all together
I'm trying to come up with a plan and I'm torn between all these different resources (Khan, TBR Bio II, TPR Workbook, NS Strategy Book, etc..)

Thanks again for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I got the TBR books too (2011,2012 editions I believe). I was thinking of seeing how those bio passages are. I agree TPR is not dense enough. It was noticeable when I was taking the AAMC FL.

Yeah I got the TBR books too (2011,2012 editions I believe). I was thinking of seeing how those bio passages are. I agree TPR is not dense enough. It was noticeable when I was taking the AAMC FL.

The reason I was going to do TPR is because I feel like I "skipped" content review this time around (I'm a retaker) and it appeared to me that Khan does not test content as much as crtitical thinking skills..

Edit: I always feel like I'm forgetting stuff... currently spending an entire week brushing up on psyc/soc and it never ends !!

some of it. I might check out their passages, I've done a lot of their non passage questions.
Thanks man! Would you recommend doing all Khan passages or just for bio and psyc? There are like 400 passages or something all together
I'm trying to come up with a plan and I'm torn between all these different resources (Khan, TBR Bio II, TPR Workbook, NS Strategy Book, etc..)

Thanks again for your help.
I would choose khan over any other material, even if it takes sacrifizing a few FLs... Sal the founder of khan said himself that they collaborated with AAMC test writers closely, so doing khan is very similar to doing AAMC passages.. and you're right, Im a retaker myself and I barely reviewed bio and found only a few questions that required pure memorization except for psy/soc

The bio sections target critical thinking more so than blunt wrote memorization. You obviously have to recall form memorization (inhibitors, pKa, pI, etc.) but, you should have these things down and good to go if you ever plan on taking the MCAT. I found that the most difficult part on the B/B.C. section was following where each pathway led and what acted on each enzyme/molecule and all of that good stuff. I honestly thought that the B/BC section was by far the easiest section in the whole exam. But, to each there own and no exam will ever be exactly the same for others.

Khan Academy is the way to go. For those of you who think Khan Academy doesn't focus on content....go look at his VIDEOS. Khan Academy also has 10 questions before each sub-section of study material which is very good at testing your knowledge.

Reactions: 2 users
seriously how is there still 3 weeks left til our scores, I feel like I took it last year and its only been a week!! plus it feels like everyone around me is getting interview invites already and I'm just here stuck watching netflix!!!

Reactions: 6 users
jutjjo.gif

Waiting for those scores

Reactions: 11 users
So over the past few days I've been busy with work and etc. that I forgot all about the MCAT. I don't remember any questions on it, and that scares me. Its felt like months since I've taken the exam, and I am now just realizing that it hasn't even been two weeks! :arghh:

Reactions: 2 users
So over the past few days I've been busy with work and etc. that I forgot all about the MCAT. I don't remember any questions on it, and that scares me. Its felt like months since I've taken the exam, and I am now just realizing that it hasn't even been two weeks! :arghh:

*POW!* When reality b**ch slaps you right across the face.

Leaving for a family vacation on Friday! The last two weeks have been a mixture of 90% bliss and 10% persevering over having to wait. I even logged into the score website to check if it was accidentally posted due to some fluke. Obviously that didn't work out.

Only 2.5 weeks!!!

Checked the score website too, but alas no luck lol..enjoy your vacation!

Anyone else having crazy dreams. Had a dream my scores came in the mail with a meme that read "you mad bro?". Just want to be over with it.

Reactions: 3 users
My motivation to pre-write secondaries is at an all time low. I feel discouraged not knowing my scores and I feel as though I am wasting my time...

Hopefully I can get the motivation back this weekend after I shop for a suit for my committee interview coming up soon

Anyone else feeling the same way?

My motivation to pre-write secondaries is at an all time low. I feel discouraged not knowing my scores and I feel as though I am wasting my time...

Hopefully I can get the motivation back this weekend after I shop for a suit for my committee interview coming up soon

Anyone else feeling the same way?

Ugh yes while I"m writing I keep thinking "I may have to retake this anyway so all this work could be for NOTHING". It's not constructive at all

I don't know where I'm finding the motivation, but I'm getting it done! One more secondary essay to write. Really wanted to knock these out before the semester starts in about 2 weeks. Already will be turning my secondary in later than a lot of applicants, so maybe that's my motivation. Need to have them done by the time scores are released!

The day will come folks! I am prewriting a few secondaries..and actually submitting to some schools I feel comfortable applying to with my old score. My reaches I'll apply to after my MCAT....it'll be here before we know it! Time is flying by for me..because I'm either writing secondaries...scribing...or drinking. LOL.

*sigh* I haven't even submitted my application, yet...ugh. How long has it been for you two? I am too lazy to check the verification thread...or I am just to sad/jealous :(

Just got verified for both AACOMAS and AMCAS... just super antsy on waiting for this MCAT score since I want to add on more schools ASAP... Do we find out right on August 18th? Or can we find out earlier etc?

Motivation is definitely low to do a lot of things I need to do.

What has your experience been with pre-writing the secondaries?
-About how many essays per school?
-How long is each essay?
-Do they ask for anything in addition to essays and money?
-What percent of essays can you tweak and/or reuse between schools?

I really should start doing the same thing you are but I'm leaving for South America tomorrow for a week or two and want to relax, not do work :(

-About 3 of mine don't have any essays (Mayo, Jefferson, NYMC). I've seen on average maybe 3-4 essays so far (UCONN, Albany, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, UVM, Yale, Emory, Case, Chicago, Tufts, Georgetown)

-Almost all are either 1000 characters (w/ spaces) or somewhere between 350-400 words.

-Some want some basic demographic info in addition to the money and essays. NYMC has you take a Casper test for their secondary.

-The most commons essays I have seen are
"What have you been doing since graduation -or what are your plans for the 2015-2016 year"
"Diversity essay"
"Why X school"
"Any additional comments to help the admissions committee"

Once you write a few based on these questions I have found you can basically reuse/tweek them to fit the question being asked by another school. For example Albany has a describe yourself question and I am using part of my diversity statement I have already written.

The hard part for me is my GPA is above the 90th percentile for almost all schools, but my MCAT is going to make or break the schools I apply to so its hard to know which secondaries to prioritize over others. I don't have great self-esteem so of course I am focusing on the low-tier medical school secondaries as of now as well as my state school.

-About 3 of mine don't have any essays (Mayo, Jefferson, NYMC). I've seen on average maybe 3-4 essays so far (UCONN, Albany, Hofstra, Quinnipiac, UVM, Yale, Emory, Case, Chicago, Tufts, Georgetown)

-Almost all are either 1000 characters (w/ spaces) or somewhere between 350-400 words.

-Some want some basic demographic info in addition to the money and essays. NYMC has you take a Casper test for their secondary.

-The most commons essays I have seen are
"What have you been doing since graduation -or what are your plans for the 2015-2016 year"
"Diversity essay"
"Why X school"
"Any additional comments to help the admissions committee"

Once you write a few based on these questions I have found you can basically reuse/tweek them to fit the question being asked by another school. For example Albany has a describe yourself question and I am using part of my diversity statement I have already written.

The hard part for me is my GPA is above the 90th percentile for almost all schools, but my MCAT is going to make or break the schools I apply to so its hard to know which secondaries to prioritize over others. I don't have great self-esteem so of course I am focusing on the low-tier medical school secondaries as of now as well as my state school.

When you say they don't have essays...I'm so tempted. haha. define no essays...their secondaries are really short? With small paragraphs?

When you say they don't have essays...I'm so tempted. haha. define no essays...their secondaries are really short? With small paragraphs?

No, like no essays at all. Jefferson wants basic demographic info but thats it. NYMC has you take a medical ethics test online.

Well not necessarily directly to my app list..but at least to my radar. I'll be a late app, so short secondaries can certainly help alleviate stress during the last second submissions. I'm in no way implying I want to attend simply because they have short secondaries (Ideally I want to stay in the South). But a couple of quick apps would help when applying broadly when time constraints are an issue.

Well not necessarily directly to my app list..but at least to my radar. I'll be a late app, so short secondaries can certainly help alleviate stress during the last second submissions. I'm in no way implying I want to attend simply because they have short secondaries (Ideally I want to stay in the South). But a couple of quick apps would help when applying broadly when time constraints are an issue.

Have you already submitted your primary? Because if your application is complete by the end of August you're not really a late app. Most schools send out secondaries in batches or waves so some students haven't received secondaries either

I was always under the impression of late Aug being "late". But I'll be complete after MCAT comes out Aug 18th, along with one LOR that doesn't want to come in :p sigh...some of these professors appear to be interested in writing a letter...but get caught up in their research and become unresponsive :/ gna have to make a few trips to his classroom..which is probably going to creep him out since the only way to know that is by looking the information up online. Looks like I'm officially a stalker.

I was always under the impression of late Aug being "late". But I'll be complete after MCAT comes out Aug 18th, along with one LOR that doesn't want to come in :p sigh...some of these professors appear to be interested in writing a letter...but get caught up in their research and become unresponsive :/ gna have to make a few trips to his classroom..which is probably going to creep him out since the only way to know that is by looking the information up online. Looks like I'm officially a stalker.

No, that is just the SDN population way of thinking.. Submitting your primary app in august might be cutting it close but not having your whole application complete. Sometimes you have to be for the LOR. My PI is usually pretty spacy but she surprisingly got my letter in at the end of May so I didn't have to go all stalker on her.

Well that's reassuring! Now just have to wait on that MCAT score to come out...everyday that goes by I hope for a less and less score..currently at a threshold of 510+. Who knows how much it'll depreciate by Aug 18.