**The Official July 2015 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
This is the official thread I've created for all the July test takers. I know its kinda early to start preparing for the July MCAT, but I know some who may have already begun the marathon since the new MCAT requires more than 3 months of study prep. Let's fill the thread with rich MCAT related discussions and be helpful to one another. The white coat down the lane is awaiting us ! Let's go....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Slowly but surely working my way through all of them. They are definitely more study- and data-driven than the other passages I've been doing (AAMC Question packs, EK 1001 Bio), which I think will be good prep for the real thing.

I like the AAMC question packs but some of the passages and questions are so straightforward it just ticks me off because I would really like to practice at a difficulty level on par with the real thing. Everyone's been saying that the verbal passages are way longer too and that definitely tripped me up in January, but it's not like someone sells a CARS book of extra long passages. I just have to practice them with less time on the clock...

Sorry that basically turned into a rant!
I've noticed the same issue w/ the science sections. The EK FL's were pretty good. For the bio section of FL 1 all of the passages were experimental w/ charts etc. Have you ran into any decent experimental-data driven prep material?

Have you ran into any decent experimental-data driven prep material?

Really just the Khan Academy passages, and with some variance there even. I feel like there's a bit more experimental and data-driven passages in Psych/Soc (and more questions about stats and study design) and Bio than in C/P... but I'm only about 40% of the way through each.

But the Bio and Psych are always the same for Khan and a fair amount of AAMC passages too...
Paragraph 1 = Here's the phenomenon and what a few people think about it (optional educational figure)
Paragraph 2 = Here's how someone decided to test it and their results
Here's a figure of the results
Paragraph 3 = Here's a follow-up study where they changed a variable and what happened then (optional figure)

I've noticed the same issue w/ the science sections. The EK FL's were pretty good. For the bio section of FL 1 all of the passages were experimental w/ charts etc. Have you ran into any decent experimental-data driven prep material?

Just did FL2 and bio passages (and psych/chem to a degree) are very experimentally heavy, which I think is really good practice and very different from other prep companies' FLs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken the TBR FL 1 and 2?

I just finished the second one, but thought it was INCREDIBLY harder than the first but scored 4 points higher than FL1 (500+)

I also thought that this one was less study based (which I thought the new MCAT was supposed to focus on)

Does anyone else feel the same/took them as well?

Just a PSA if you need more CARS practice, Khan Academy added 11 CARS practice passages last week. Downside is they only have 4 questions/passage and they're kinda easy.

For the last 4 Kaplan FL I only go up 1 point at a time 490 491 492 493...smh mcat in 3 weeks I need a 500+...HELP! lol

For the last 4 Kaplan FL I only go up 1 point at a time 490 491 492 493...smh mcat in 3 weeks I need a 500+...HELP! lol

Push it to August 5th/6th? Although if it comforts you, my friends were averaging 496-497 on Kaplan tests and both scored around 505-513.

I was scoring the same for Kaplan (consistent 493 - 494) but tried Exam Kracker's today and it was sooooo much better (not sure if it'll be the same for you but I would say try another test as well)

We can do this!

Could someone help me out with any insight on what equations we should know for these subtopics (besides the relationships between period, frequency, and wavelength)? I only have the 2012 Kaplan Physics book and I think there's a bunch of extra stuff in their chapter on periodic motion and waves that the AAMC has since removed. Khan Academy only has one video on these subjects and it's just definitions.

This is all it says in the 2015 MCAT Content outline (p.49):
Periodic Motion
- Amplitude, frequency, phase
- Transverse and longitudinal waves: wavelength and propagation speed​

For example, pendulums aren't explicitly mentioned in the outline but they relate to things like frequency (angular frequency) and kinetic energy/potential energy changes... And for "propagation speed" it sounds like we might need to know angular frequency so we can calculate wave speed if ν, λ, or T aren't given. If you have a current copy of Kaplan/TPR/EK, what did they include?

I am scheduled for the July 18 test date. As of now I have been studying for 2 months and here is my progress:

AAMC Official Guide ?'s (Untimed--I know ******ed)... 5/20/15
CP-47%
CR-73%
BS-43%
PS-57%
Total-55%

EK Test 1... 6/13/15
CP-31%
CR-57%
BS-39%
PS-59%
Total- 46%

EK Test 2... 6/28/15
CP-51%
CR-47% (little more difficult than the last one)
BS-61%
PS-61%
Total-55%

Sample Test.... 7/12/15

Real Thing.... 7/18/15

I have been studying out of all the new EK books and EK101 passages. I am starting to just do verbal passages from the AAMC practice tests though instead of EK101 . I still have a bit more content to get through but I would like to get above 50th-60th percentile. Do you think I would have a shot given my current scores?

upload_2015-6-29_23-27-3.png
So this picture was the highlight of my studying today. In other news I decided to wait until Friday to take a full practice test. Hope all is going well with everyone else.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think I would have a shot given my current scores?

It looks like you definitely have a shot at 50-60% if you keep analyzing your exam answers (right and wrong) and working on your weak spots. Two and a half weeks is not a lot in MCAT-time, but you can still make good progress before the test!

Dang looks like everyone's working super hard so far. When're you guys gonna start doing the Question Packs and the AAMC Practice Test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang looks like everyone's working super hard so far. When're you guys gonna start doing the Question Packs and the AAMC Practice Test?

Started q packs yesterday and doing aamc on Friday. So much easier than TPR/kaplan/EK/NS haha.

When're you guys gonna start doing the Question Packs and the AAMC Practice Test?

I started the question packs a month ago but I'm already taking a break because I really need to get through content (downside to being out of these classes for 3+ years). I really wish I would have given myself more time; two more weeks would be awesome. I'm saving the AAMC FL until the week before the test. Right now I have on my calendar: EK 1 - 7/3, EK 2 - 7/7, EK 3 - 7/11, AAMC - 7/14. That last week I'll do just the question packs and thoroughly review the AAMC test.

What is everyone going to be working on in their last couple weeks?

I am finishing up the last of my content review today/tomorrow (miserable getting through all of the TBR books this past month and a half)

The last 2.5 weeks I am going to take 3 more practice exams (TBR Test 3, Gold Standard Exam 1, and AAMC Practice) and plan on doing the CARS AAMC Question Packs and finishing up the Bio + Physical Science AAMC Question Packs

And review content material each day (especially Physics equations)

I started the question packs a month ago but I'm already taking a break because I really need to get through content (downside to being out of these classes for 3+ years). I really wish I would have given myself more time; two more weeks would be awesome. I'm saving the AAMC FL until the week before the test. Right now I have on my calendar: EK 1 - 7/3, EK 2 - 7/7, EK 3 - 7/11, AAMC - 7/14. That last week I'll do just the question packs and thoroughly review the AAMC test.
Oh wow, is it worth it for me to buy one of the EK FLs?

Has anyone taken the TBR FL 1 and 2?

I just finished the second one, but thought it was INCREDIBLY harder than the first but scored 4 points higher than FL1 (500+)

I also thought that this one was less study based (which I thought the new MCAT was supposed to focus on)

Does anyone else feel the same/took them as well?

Are these the one in the book? They have this book at barnes and noble near my house and I was planning on going there and taking it this week.

T
Are these the one in the book? They have this book at barnes and noble near my house and I was planning on going there and taking it this week.

I bought the TBR set for content review so it was part of the 3 full length tests included with the books. All you need is the ISBN # from the books to access the full lengths online so you don't necessarily have to buy the books if you are using a different set for content review

Who on this forum has submitted their AMCAS yet? I am trying to time it so that mine is verified just before the scores are released on August 18th (or a week or so before).

I am thinking if I submit by July 15th (ish) that should be the case based on the verification times for this year?

I am planning on submitting mine the weekend of the exam. Instead of waiting to get secondaries, I plan on writing secondaries for the colleges I will be applying for in the one month of wait time.

I was scoring the same for Kaplan (consistent 493 - 494) but tried Exam Kracker's today and it was sooooo much better (not sure if it'll be the same for you but I would say try another test as well)

We can do this!

lol thank you!

Just took a TPR FL and here are my results:

500 overall
Chemical and Physical Foundations- 125
CARS- 124
Biological and Biochemical Foundations- 126
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations- 125

Admittedly, I have hardly done much CARS thus far (as evident per my score) and will be kicking that into high gear with a verbal practice 90 min section test every day until the exam.

Am I in okay shape? Shooting for an equivalent of 30ish for this MCAT!

I am planning on submitting mine the weekend of the exam. Instead of waiting to get secondaries, I plan on writing secondaries for the colleges I will be applying for in the one month of wait time.

I'm planning on pre-writing my secondaries starting the week after the exam as well! That way I can hopefully have everything submitted by the time the scores are released :)

Just took a TPR FL and here are my results:

500 overall
Chemical and Physical Foundations- 125
CARS- 124
Biological and Biochemical Foundations- 126
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations- 125

Admittedly, I have hardly done much CARS thus far (as evident per my score) and will be kicking that into high gear with a verbal practice 90 min section test every day until the exam.

Am I in okay shape? Shooting for an equivalent of 30ish for this MCAT!

Thats about where I am right now using the TBR + Gold Standard (between 500-502). Taking this with a grain of salt until I take the AAMC full length next week! Hoping that will be the most accurate predictor of where I am

Browsing the May forum and more than half are getting 90 percentile or above. Idk whether this frightens me or gives me hope

Browsing the May forum and more than half are getting 90 percentile or above. Idk whether this frightens me or gives me hope

I think May on SDN was one of the "strongest" sample size of those who took it. I've never seen that many high scores for a test date even on the old one.

How much is everyone here focusing on Orgo? I have nucleophilicity, EWG, and EDG down pretty well, but should we know certain types of reactions (Grignard, enolate-formation, etc.). It seems to be hit-or-miss with the tests given so far.

Oh wow, is it worth it for me to buy one of the EK FLs?
Feedback so far (bottom of this page) pointed to EK FLs being the most like AAMC. Since I don't have access to the TPR or Kaplan full lengths I figure these are my best bet. Not happy about shelling out $150 for them though.

The next best seems to be TPR, from what I hear, in that they're extra challenging but if you score well on those then you'll do well on the real thing.

Here's the doc they've compiled of people's practice scores across different FLs compared to their real scores.

Last edited:
I think May on SDN was one of the "strongest" sample size of those who took it. I've never seen that many high scores for a test date even on the old one.

Wonder how much that says about the people who peruse SDN as well lol.

Ooh, when did that happen? Do you think they wrote it after April so that it's more like the real thing? If so I might replace one of the first three with the fourth.

Definitely after April and possibly after May test date? I'll probably substitute EK FL3 with FL 4 instead, going along with the idea that they have a better representation of the test.

How much is everyone here focusing on Orgo? I have nucleophilicity, EWG, and EDG down pretty well, but should we know certain types of reactions (Grignard, enolate-formation, etc.). It seems to be hit-or-miss with the tests given so far.

I'm usually getting at least half the orgo questions right on practice tests. I go more by intuition. Sometimes I have to guess. Honestly haven't reviewed orgo in depth for the new MCAT.

Ooh, when did that happen? Do you think they wrote it after April so that it's more like the real thing? If so I might replace one of the first three with the fourth.

Yeah I wish I could have known before I took the second one... Now I regret it. Let me know how different it was

I have been using TPR FLs as practice. I have taken 5 of them already and have never broken 500. My highest score is a 499. Needless to say, I am freaking out because I took the MCAT last summer and my score was, like everybody said, an average of all my practice scores (which was mildly pathetic). Should I spend the money and buy some EK full length? Even just one? I still have my AAMC FL left and 4 more TPRs. I don't want to keep wasting my time with TPR if its not representative of the real test at all.

Also is there any way you can retake EK FLs more than once? If so, I would be willing to split the cost with my friend also studying and have both of us take it.

I have been using TPR FLs as practice. I have taken 5 of them already and have never broken 500. My highest score is a 499. Needless to say, I am freaking out because I took the MCAT last summer and my score was, like everybody said, an average of all my practice scores (which was mildly pathetic). Should I spend the money and buy some EK full length? Even just one? I still have my AAMC FL left and 4 more TPRs. I don't want to keep wasting my time with TPR if its not representative of the real test at all.

Also is there any way you can retake EK FLs more than once? If so, I would be willing to split the cost with my friend also studying and have both of us take it.

You can take the EK FL as many times as you want 6 months after you buy it.

Has anyone noticed how much emphasis they place on waves, light, sound, optics, refraction, etc. for the physics sections on the practice tests?

I wonder if this is true of the real test as well. Which is unfortunate because this is the only part of physics my classes did not go over (except for Snell's Law)

Doesn't it seem like everyone in May did poorly on their practice exams (barely above 500) but managed to get >90% scores on the real thing? Either a fluke or very promising for us July test takers

Has anyone noticed how much emphasis they place on waves, light, sound, optics, refraction, etc. for the physics sections on the practice tests?

I wonder if this is true of the real test as well. Which is unfortunate because this is the only part of physics my classes did not go over (except for Snell's Law)

Yep and I'm afraid I may have to push back now. I know biochem, chem, etc. like a 3rd grader knows their times tables. If I don't have all my behavior flashcards and notes memorized by the 6th Im going to reschedule I think.

I just took the AAMC FL and I have no idea what to think of my score because I opened this doc with everyone's score sheets and it seems like everyone did so well on theirs =/

My percentages were:
Chm/Phy- 69%
CARS- 75%
Bio- 75%
Psy/Soc- 69%

According to the conversions for percentages that real people got this comes down to a 508 I think. Is this really the new 30? Have you guys taken AAMC FL yet? I'll be taking EK only for the rest of the remaining 2 weeks. Also ugh that sounds scary. 2 weeks.

Hello, everyone! I have come to this thread to read up on the progress of others who are taking this July MCAT journey with me. I have been enrolled in the Self Paced Kaplan MCAT program and I have got to say, it has helped with structure (yeah, right...). I work full-time and go to school full-time, so it has been a rough couple of months for me. Do I feel ready? No..I don't think many people do. I have taken ONE Kaplan FL and scored a 495. My Initial Diagnostic was a 486, but still...not so good. I have been hearing mixed reviews on the comparison of Kaplan Fl's to the AAMC and the actual MCAT Test. Many people say the real test is easier than Kaplan, but a little harder than the AAMC Practice FL. But, I have a friend who took it a few months ago and she also took the Kaplan course and said she doesn't feel the real exam was much easier than Kaplan's...But, I do know I have heard a reliable consensus that Biochem is heavily integrated into the two science sections of the test..so brush up!

Hello, everyone! I have come to this thread to read up on the progress of others who are taking this July MCAT journey with me. I have been enrolled in the Self Paced Kaplan MCAT program and I have got to say, it has helped with structure (yeah, right...). I work full-time and go to school full-time, so it has been a rough couple of months for me. Do I feel ready? No..I don't think many people do. I have taken ONE Kaplan FL and scored a 495. My Initial Diagnostic was a 486, but still...not so good. I have been hearing mixed reviews on the comparison of Kaplan Fl's to the AAMC and the actual MCAT Test. Many people say the real test is easier than Kaplan, but a little harder than the AAMC Practice FL. But, I have a friend who took it a few months ago and she also took the Kaplan course and said she doesn't feel the real exam was much easier than Kaplan's...But, I do know I have heard a reliable consensus that Biochem is heavily integrated into the two science sections of the test..so brush up!

You work full time, go to school full time, and are currently studying for the MCAT???
That sounds pretty rough

Well, right now I am not in school. I just finished a first session summer Intro to Biochemistry class which seemed way too easy, but then again I am a 5th year senior so it was nothing I haven't seen before. My trouble is in the Chem/Phys section. It sounds, from what others have said, that the actual MCAT isn't heavy on chemical reactions or physics problems pertaining to extensive equation memorization. Any input?