**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

Oh good..I'm just worried signing back in will be a long process and will take up a lot more time than anticipated. So is there a screen that waits for you to click "next" before moving on, like on the aamc practice FLs?
It goes to that screen where it shows the section title etc but as far as I remember i had all my time. I bet it would start ticking though if you abused it so just try to take the allotted breaks and not chance it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do people think about Altius mcat prep? how have your practice scores been. I have been ranging in the 503-505 f0r altius and 506-509 in next step. Overall, my p/s has been 126/127 for next step cars 126/127 bio 127 and psych 127/128. Altius has been 126/127 chem, 125 cars, 126/127 bio and 127 psych. I'm curious to see if that is good? Anyone?

What do people think about Altius mcat prep? how have your practice scores been. I have been ranging in the 503-505 f0r altius and 506-509 in next step. Overall, my p/s has been 126/127 for next step cars 126/127 bio 127 and psych 127/128. Altius has been 126/127 chem, 125 cars, 126/127 bio and 127 psych. I'm curious to see if that is good? Anyone?
I only took 1 Altius and 1 NS. I got a 512 on the NS then a 503 on the Altius (I think I took them within a week or two of eachother). Really hoping the NS is more accurate :confused:

Just made my "mock trip" to my Prometric center. Left at the same time I should be leaving on Friday. Missed the exit because the city listed I am familiar with and went into autopilot, but thanks to gerrymandering I didn't realize I was 4 exits past already lol.
Good thing I know now!

One thing that sucks is don't have a break room. Have to eat lunch in the lobby. But max of 15 people will be there so gtk, I didn't know how big these testing centers would be.

So nervous guys! I hope everyone is getting in the zone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Just made my "mock trip" to my Prometric center. Left at the same time I should be leaving on Friday. Missed the exit because the city listed I am familiar with and went into autopilot, but thanks to gerrymandering I didn't realize I was 4 exits past already lol.
Good thing I know now!

One thing that sucks is don't have a break room. Have to eat lunch in the lobby. But max of 15 people will be there so gtk, I didn't know how big these testing centers would be.

So nervous guys! I hope everyone is getting in the zone!

We didn't have a break room haha. We all just hungout in the hallway and talked about how much we were gonna drink that night and how ready we were to be done witht he MCAT for good. It was a cute lil community of people I will nver talk to again

Reactions: 1 users
how are the 7/8 and 7/9 test takers holding up? somedays I think I got a 500 and other days I think I got a 510 :/
i know this month of waiting should be relaxing but for some reason its been making me so nervous trying to predict my scores
i've submitted my primary app last week but dont really know if i should spend a lot of time on secondaries since i dont know my score
I took it on July 8th. I literally just came back to sdn because I woke up from a nightmare where I got a 496 with a score breakdown of 121/123/122/115. It doesn't even add to 496 and 115 isn't even a possible score lol but I was so sad in my dream. The worst part is I haven't even submitted my primary yet even though I told myself I'd submit last week. I just hate writing stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
I took it on July 8th. I literally just came back to sdn because I woke up from a nightmare where I got a 496 with a score breakdown of 121/123/122/115. It doesn't even add to 496 and 115 isn't even a possible score lol but I was so sad in my dream. The worst part is I haven't even submitted my primary yet even though I told myself I'd submit last week. I just hate writing stuff.

I don't know I've felt so anxious and neurotic since the exam trying to look up answers to questions. It's gotten a little better now but my biggest fear is getting a 122/123 in cars, I had to rush through one passage and I feel that I bombed it in addition to marking so many questions (I got 126s across the NS exams)

I don't even know what to do for these last two days. So far I've been absentmindedly scrolling through my notes and lashing out at anyone who tries to talk to me. Part of me wants to flash forward to Friday, part of me wants another 2 weeks. :bang:

Just wanted to tell you guys to relax. 6/18 MCAT taker here. This was my third MCAT. It's not ideal but I grew a lot from it and don't let people on SDN tell you that it's going to be questionable to have retakes or that, "your judgment skills to perform surgery are in question" here on SDN. This place has a lot of people like that and it's not worth getting worked up over what they say.

What I can tell you is to just do anything to take your mind off of the nervousness of score release. The days before, I went hiking, made some cool food, hung out with friends, etc. Your post-test feelings are unpredictable and you never know where you'll score. You guys are almost done.

For those about to take the test, know that you're taking the hardest standardized test ever created. Ever. Know that and realize you're in a much bigger picture and that things will work out the way they do for a reason, even if you cannot connect the dots right now. You can only connect the dots looking back, not forwards. So don't let your mind run.

Good luck people!

Reactions: 3 users
I've been absentmindedly scrolling through my notes and lashing out at anyone who tries to talk to me

I am cracking up at my screen right now because that sounds just like me. Praying I have family/friends left to talk to after Friday...

Reactions: 2 users
I don't even know what to do for these last two days. So far I've been absentmindedly scrolling through my notes and lashing out at anyone who tries to talk to me. Part of me wants to flash forward to Friday, part of me wants another 2 weeks. :bang:

I'm struggling with this. Not really able to focus on studying anymore. Just ready to go!

Edit: focus was autocorrected to a very bad word! Lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I'm taking the July 22nd exam (1 week from today!). I'm about to start VCOM's post-bac program this fall. For those who don't know, this year they will be giving the post-bacc students who score a 494+ MCAT an admission to one of their 3 DO campuses next year, so I need to score a 494 or higher when I take it next week. I just took the AAMC scored today and I got a 492 (123 in each section), which was my lowest practice test score I've taken... and it felt easier than my previous practice exams :/

Here's my question-
what can I do in the next week to make the most of my time? What is your advice on how to best utilize the next 6 days? I realize that 6 days is hardly any time at all to improve. I'm not going to reschedule. I'm just super bummed that the AAMC was my lowest, because I've heard it's the most representative. I'll review the exam tomorrow. What else should I do?

Other practice tests I've taken:
Princeton Review = 494
Kaplan #1 = 494
Kaplan #2 = 496
Next Step #1 = 503

Thank you in advance!!

Hey! Im in the same boat, going to be starting VCOM's postbac and am taking the MCAT on Friday. I just noticed today that the website was updated and even if you don't get a 494, you can still make up for it by having a stronger GPA. So remain calm and try not to stress too much about it, good luck! Check it out here http://www.vcom.vt.edu/admissions/acceptance-vcom-do-program

Last edited:
how are the 7/8 and 7/9 test takers holding up? somedays I think I got a 500 and other days I think I got a 510 :/
i know this month of waiting should be relaxing but for some reason its been making me so nervous trying to predict my scores
i've submitted my primary app last week but dont really know if i should spend a lot of time on secondaries since i dont know my score
Dude I know how you feel, I can't take the waiting anymore. I feel like I got a 505 someday and did worse than my first time (509) , other times I think I got a 526..... I've been waiting for scores since May 20th, =( this sucks. I really should stay off SDN and reddit but I can't help it. Still need to finish my primary app and get my LOR....ugh lol.

K just read some conflicting things and now my mind is blown.

At a pH of 7, Histidine has a +1 charge, same as Lysine and Arginine, correct?

And at a pH of 7.4 this is the same thing?

Or do only Lysine and Arginine have a +1 charge...?!

This is some elementary %T#$@% and some annoying conflicting literature has me worried -_-

Its irritating because Histidine is not fully ionized because its Pkr is ~6.00 so it still has some of the conjugate acid so it doesn't have a completely charged R group, overall I believe it is charged but it also depends on the microenviroment. Screw His lol, I would go with whatever the AAMC has in the answers.

you need serious help.

Hey! Im in the same boat, going to be starting VCOM's postbac and am taking the MCAT on Friday. I just noticed today that the website was updated and even if you don't get a 494, you can still make up for it by having a stronger GPA. So remain calm and try not to stress too much about it, good luck! Check it out here http://www.vcom.vt.edu/admissions/acceptance-vcom-do-program
looks like u can still get guaranteed admissions even with a 490 mcat score if you get straight A"s in the program. which is 20th percentile....wow

looks like u can still get guaranteed admissions even with a 490 mcat score if you get straight A"s in the program. which is 20th percentile....wow

yeah, it was a 500 and 3.6gpa when i started studying a few months ago after getting accepted into the program so that was my goal. literally just found out a week ago it was changed so thats a ton of pressure off and not freaking out *as much* anymore lol. ive been scoring 504 - 502 on my practices so hoping it goes well. booked a hotel near my testing site tomorrow, planning on getting there super early and just chillaxin while looking over the aamc flashcards

When Prometric calls you the day before your exam to tell you to be there by 7 because they want to start the test at 7:30 instead of 8... All my practice exams started at 8, not liking these vibes of change much :eek::dead::dead:

When Prometric calls you the day before your exam to tell you to be there by 7 because they want to start the test at 7:30 instead of 8... All my practice exams started at 8, not liking these vibes of change much :eek::dead::dead:

My center told me to be there at 7:30 at the latest when I went yesterday, but they definitely didn't say we would start early. I can't imagine people arriving 5 mins before 7:30 and have to rush to begin. I'm going to be there at 7 for sure now lol

My exams started at 5am or 6 am so in hoping my brain will be well awake for starting at 8

Good luck July 22 test takers, remember if you get a monster C/P not to panic and to trust in the Curve. This goes for all sections but primarily C/P. First time I thought C/P was low 120s and I got a 129 guessing like crazy with over 30 marked so if you do get a crazy hard C/P don't panic and trust in the power of the curve.

What are you guys bringing for lunch? Headed to the supermarket and don't know what to get :confused: with my luck I'll probably get super hungry the second I start P/C. Thinking a banana, granola bar, crackers...?

What are you guys bringing for lunch? Headed to the supermarket and don't know what to get :confused: with my luck I'll probably get super hungry the second I start P/C. Thinking a banana, granola bar, crackers...?

I'm bringing fruit and raw veggies. Carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, avocado, a banana and nectarine. Prob have the banana on the first break and the nectarine at lunch. Just water on the last break.

I've tried to wait the same thing around the lunch break everyday for two months and experimented with what made me feel full and energized but not lethargic after.

I took the test on July 8th and I brought a deli chicken sandwich for lunch. I also brought fruit and chocolate.

My center told me to be there at 7:30 at the latest when I went yesterday, but they definitely didn't say we would start early. I can't imagine people arriving 5 mins before 7:30 and have to rush to begin. I'm going to be there at 7 for sure now lol

My exams started at 5am or 6 am so in hoping my brain will be well awake for starting at 8

I got to my testing center around 7:30 and didn't start until 8:15.

Hey guys, June 18th taker here. Just wanna say good luck on the war! You guys can do it. Confidence is key, all of you studied so much and it will definitely show. Youve already done the hard part by studying, now go perform just one more time. And dont trust your post-exam feelings, I thought I got a negative score, ended up scoring very high.

Calm, cool, and confident. Go get 'em!

Just check in in my hotel, it's a small room but cozy. I remember that last time I took the exam I got to the testing center around 7:10AM and started the test around 7:40AM. I brought pasta salad, diet soda, and crackers. It was enough to keep my brain glucose up and running. We all got this!

When I tested (July 9th) I took in a couple pieces of jerky, Pringles and half a brownie with walnuts. I packed them in ziplock baggies so they were take from and put away and had one of those Odwalla Superfood smoothies (love these!!) which was perfectly refreshing to have durning the 10 min break when you basically don't have time for anything lol. Also packed some sparkling H20.

I arrived at the testing center at around 7:10am and starting testing at exactly 8am. And so I think if you're there by 7:15am you should be golden!

Good luck to all of you rockstars a testing tomorrow!!! Listen to your favorite song on the way testing center and jam out. Strut in there like you're going to kill it!! You guys are gonna shine!!

All my luck and best wishes to you all! See you on the other side!! <3

You guys... I'm taking it tomorrow despite my horrid aamc score (as this was my 4th "attempt" since I didn't cancel before bronze zone previously). I honestly feel I WILL score higher than that tomorrow. If I get 126's in the sciences like on the scored, 124 on cars and a 126 in psych then I'm good because that's all I need for a certain school I have most connection with. Anyway, I just got done packing my lunch and about to get in bed to try to sleep. I hope we ALL do well tomorrow. Please aamc don't give us a scary cars! Good luck <3

You guys... I'm taking it tomorrow despite my horrid aamc score (as this was my 4th "attempt" since I didn't cancel before bronze zone previously). I honestly feel I WILL score higher than that tomorrow. If I get 126's in the sciences like on the scored, 124 on cars and a 126 in psych then I'm good because that's all I need for a certain school I have most connection with. Anyway, I just got done packing my lunch and about to get in bed to try to sleep. I hope we ALL do well tomorrow. Please aamc don't give us a scary cars! Good luck <3
Good luck! Don't panic and be a cool cucumber. It is almost over.

Just finished. Loved my exam, had tons of extra time, and had to guess on less than 4 in C/P and B/B which is a great sign for me!

Reactions: 4 users
Just finished my test and I regret voiding it on July the 8th. P/C and psych were on heavy steroids, terms I never heard of, and obscure experiments. Let's hope AAMC has mercy on us.!:confused:

Last edited:
I thought B/B were the hardest for me.

Also that pysch also did seem harder than normal. But overall, I felt confident until I got to B/B and then after that I just wanted to be done.

The test today was a beast... At least the B/B was, praying for a 125 in that section now! Oh well time to enjoy a month of summer now!!!

Reactions: 4 users
How was CP and CARS???

C/P I usually run out of time and have to randomly choose answers for at least a whole passage and a few others, not counting the ones early on that I didn't know. Today, I had 15 minutes extra, went over all marked and felt in the end that my answer was a guess for 3/4 questions.

B/B I also usually run out of time before checking marked and I had 20 minutes to go over everything and check back on some passages that I didn't feel good about. I straight guessed on two, and 3/4 I didn't feel as confident as I did on other questions.

I always do very well on CARS and psych (psych major) and they felt very comfortable, dare I say "easier" than most of my practice tests. Had 45 mins on psych to check over and 10 on CARS, but read very slowly and went over each multiple times for understanding.

Im badly panicking right now, I dk if to cry or laugh or what? Feeling very confused about that pysch section. Well we will see in a month, hoping for a hige curve

Im badly panicking right now, I dk if to cry or laugh or what? Feeling very confused about that pysch section. Well we will see in a month, hoping for a hige curve

Just relax. It's over, go enjoy yourself. I'm about to take a nap and then go bar hopping! It's been a long 6 weeks, time to unwind.